PDA

View Full Version : Renfree & Thompson

lucybluebear
10-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Does anyone know the status of Sean and Juwan? Both took pretty good licks and I was wondering if/when they are expected to return.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Does anyone know the status of Sean and Juwan? Both took pretty good licks and I was wondering if/when they are expected to return.

I have heard nothing but offer my educated guess. It certainly looked like Renfree suffered a concussion on the helmet to helmet hit, and Cut said post game that he was not well after the game (I forget his exact words). Hopefully it's a "minor" concussion and I would expect that he sits out this week vs. Clemson, and with the off week, returns for GT in 2 1/2 weeks. No reason to push him back onto the field Saturday, even if he's cleared, for what is really an inconsequential game when it comes to winning our division.

I don't know what Thompson's injury is, so I venture no guess.

OldPhiKap
10-30-2012, 08:54 AM
I have heard nothing but offer my educated guess. It certainly looked like Renfree suffered a concussion on the helmet to helmet hit, and Cut said post game that he was not well after the game (I forget his exact words). Hopefully it's a "minor" concussion and I would expect that he sits out this week vs. Clemson, and with the off week, returns for GT in 2 1/2 weeks. No reason to push him back onto the field Saturday, even if he's cleared, for what is really an inconsequential game when it comes to winning our division.

Should know more on Thursday.

If Sean cannot take reps in practice, I am more than comfortable with Boone starting again and letting Sean rest up for GT in 2 1/2 weeks.

DukeSean
10-30-2012, 09:07 AM
compounding the injuries are nagging illnesses for both players:

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/20641165/article-Blue-Devils-hope-to-learn-from-loss-to-FSU?

But Duke’s quest to keep up could be aggravated by what happened at Florida State. Starting quarterback Sean Renfree and running back Juwan Thompson were injured on plays that drew Florida State penalties. Thompson took a hard hit to his head and chest, while Renfree had concussion-like symptoms after a helmet-to-helmet hit.

Cutcliffe said both players went through a battery of tests and the initial reports, though early, are good. But both players are also ill — Renfree was running a fever even before getting hit hard — so their status for the Clemson game isn’t known.

I'm not sure they'd trot Renfree out there this Saturday against Clemson. That hit looked pretty nasty, and with concussions, you never want to take unnecessary risks. With Boone more than a serviceable backup, I'd be ok resting Renfree till after bye week.

uh_no
10-30-2012, 09:10 AM

We can win the division without beating clemson, yes, but we can also with the division without beating GT....that doesn't make the game inconsequential.

If we beat clemson, we no longer need miami to beat VT...which is hardly inconsequential.