PDA

View Full Version : Watching Duke Basketbal outside the SEl??

dkball
10-30-2012, 12:38 AM
Does anyone know if goduke.com or another website will archive all the Duke Men's basketball games? I am in Ohio and in the past I have subscribed to cable to get the ESPN networks (and Fox Sports in the past) so I could watch just about all of the games. Before I get cable again, I am curious if there is another way for me to get access to the games without paying the $40/mo for cable.

Thank you.

BigWayne
10-30-2012, 01:34 AM
You could spend a lot of time in bars, but that might run you more than $40/month. Seriously, you can probably get a bunch of the games on ESPN3, but only if you have an ISP that includes that service.

dkball
10-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the response. The bar will cost me more for sure. Unfortunately, in order to get ESPN on the net, I need to subscribe to it on cable through Time Warner.

Dukiedevil
10-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Typically www.justin.tv carries almost every sporting event out there. Sometimes the quality is just mediocre though. Might be worth a try before having cable installed.

Edouble
10-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the response. The bar will cost me more for sure. Unfortunately, in order to get ESPN on the net, I need to subscribe to it on cable through Time Warner.

Are you sure about this? I did not have cable for most of the year last year and watched all the ESPN games, although not the ESPNU games, on ESPN3 online. Were you not able to watch the Fort Bragg practice 2/3 Mondays ago on ESPN3?

I also concur with DukieDevil that justintv carries a fair number of games, of unreliable quality. The games that I was not able to see were the Fox Sports games and the Raycom games. Good luck!

COYS
10-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Are you sure about this? I did not have cable for most of the year last year and watched all the ESPN games, although not the ESPNU games, on ESPN3 online. Were you not able to watch the Fort Bragg practice 2/3 Mondays ago on ESPN3?

I also concur with DukieDevil that justintv carries a fair number of games, of unreliable quality. The games that I was not able to see were the Fox Sports games and the Raycom games. Good luck!

I had the same experience as Edouble. I have Comcast, which allows me to access anything on ESPN3. All of Duke's games that were on ESPN or ESPN2 were also available on ESPN3 online last season. The only games I couldn't get were the ESPNU games. Because I live outside of Raycom's coverage territory, I was outside of the black-out range and was actually able to watch the Raycom games on ESPN3 as well as all of the Raycom games were broadcast nationally by ESPN. The Fox games I watched for free on my TV with an antenna. As for the ESPNU games (which was only one or two games), I was able to use an alternative, albeit somewhat shady, method to watch them. I could also have chosen a bar for those games.

I'm often busy in the evenings and can't watch the games live, anyway, so using ESPN3 wasn't a problem at all. Whenever I was able to catch a game live, I had to get used to dealing with commercials as I just skip over them when watching via ESPN3 replay. You can watch a whole game in about 1 hour and 10 minutes or so when the commercials and half time are skipped.

SCMatt33
10-30-2012, 12:54 PM
All you really need for ESPN games is a valid email from a cable company that subscribes to WatchESPN. I spent some time out of the country, and all I needed was to log in to watchESPN with a Comcast.net email from my parents' cable account (and a proxy to make them think I was in the US, but that's not an issue for you). If you have a friend or relative with Time Warner or Comcast, it shouldn't be hard for them to create a secondary email address on their account for you.

Bluedog
10-30-2012, 01:31 PM
As for the ESPNU games (which was only one or two games).

Note that this season, there are eight (!) games on ESPNU, including four ACC matchups. I'm not too happy about it personally, but have been able to watch the ESPNU games in the past through some method, so will just have to be persistent.

SCMatt33
10-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Note that this season, there are eight (!) games on ESPNU, including four ACC matchups. I'm not too happy about it personally, but have been able to watch the ESPNU games in the past through some method, so will just have to be persistent.

Forgot to mention this before, but this reminded me. ESPN is switching to a new model in which most TV games will only be broadcast on WatchESPN, and not ESPN3, which is now treated like its own network. WatchESPN, however, allows all ESPN games, including ESPNU, to be streamed online.

BigWayne
10-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Forgot to mention this before, but this reminded me. ESPN is switching to a new model in which most TV games will only be broadcast on WatchESPN, and not ESPN3, which is now treated like its own network. WatchESPN, however, allows all ESPN games, including ESPNU, to be streamed online. I went and looked at it just now as I hadn't realized this. You are correct, there are two separate services now, though they get delivered through the same webpage, which is incredibly confusing.

Some stuff is specified as an ESPN3 event, but when you go to watch it, it appears you are using "WatchESPN." Other programming that shows up on WatchESPN is coming from ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU. To make it even more confusing, some events are classified as being part of ESPN3 AND one of the cable networks. For example, GA ST at Duke on 11/09 is double classified as ESPNU and ESPN3, so if you have a ISP that supports ESPN3, you could get that game. Duke/Kentucky on 11/13 is only an ESPN game, except in AK/HI, so you have to have a cable or satellite subscription in order to get it through WatchESPN.

chaosmage
10-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Is it because ESPN gets a better deal from WatchESPN networks than all of the ones on ESPN3? Because we have UVerse, and we'd try Verizon, but they are one block over from us and have frozen expansion. I'm wondering if they're not trying to renegotiate through the backdoor, so to speak.

I only bring it up because I can get ESPN3, but not WatchESPN. Apparently AT&T isn't on board with the other service.

Also, Xbox has a great ESPN3 app, which is how we watch our games, I think the PS3 has one as well.

dkball
10-31-2012, 06:28 PM

Unfortunately, Time Warner requires me to subscribe to ESPN. TW is my ISP, but I tried to access ESPN3/WatchESPN last year and was rejected until I subscribed to cable.

WakeDevil
10-31-2012, 06:32 PM
http://www.thefirstrow.eu/

I watch all the MNF games here.