PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Sandy

roywhite
10-25-2012, 11:38 AM
A major event for the US East Coast?

Weather Journal: When Hurricane Meets Snowstorm (http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012/10/24/weather-journal-when-hurricane-meets-snowstorm/?mod=e2tw)

Regardless of the exact landfall location on the East Coast, impacts will be felt from Florida to Maine. Nearly every single major weather model now shows the eventual “phasing,” or capture, of Hurricane Sandy by an intense polar airmass. The two primary medium-range forecast centers for the National Weather Service agree. The European ECMWF, generally considered one of the best weather models in the world, has shown this scenario consistently for the last five days.

Meteorology geeks, what say you?

Billy Dat
10-25-2012, 04:10 PM
A major event for the US East Coast?

Weather Journal: When Hurricane Meets Snowstorm (http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012/10/24/weather-journal-when-hurricane-meets-snowstorm/?mod=e2tw)

Meteorology geeks, what say you?

Another White Halloween in NY? UGH!

throatybeard
10-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Check out the front in question:

It's 81 in my neck of the woods and 43 in Kansas City.

rthomas
10-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Check out the front in question:

Front, meet Sandy.

Prediction for Sandy on the day before Halloween day.

A-Tex Devil
10-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Front, meet Sandy.

Prediction for Sandy on the day before Halloween day.

Wasn't this the plot to the Day After Tomorrow? Is NYC going to be under 50 feet of snow come election day?

rthomas
10-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Wasn't this the plot to the Day After Tomorrow? Is NYC going to be under 50 feet of snow come election day?

Boom. My students want this to happen.

throatybeard
10-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Correction; we have lost about 30 degrees in about 75 minutes. Boom shaka laka!

More anon.

Sandy will be hitting the mid-Atlantic a good week before the election, though.

Duvall
10-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Correction; we have lost about 30 degrees in about 75 minutes. Boom shaka laka!

More anon.

Sandy will be hitting the mid-Atlantic a good week before the election, though.

Just in time to knock out phones and power during early voting and voter contact time on the East Coast.

blazindw
10-25-2012, 07:27 PM

They're already calling it the recurrence of The Perfect Storm!

JasonEvans
10-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Just in time to knock out phones and power during early voting and voter contact time on the East Coast.

Yeah, but the areas that will be most affected by Sandy -- the Northeast -- is mostly solidly blue already. Shouldn't have much of an impact on the election unless it really dampens turnout in Virginia and possibly Pennsylvania.

-Jason "oops, should I move this to the election thread?" Evans

-jk
10-25-2012, 10:20 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing how long PEPCO can leave us in the dark this time.

<sigh>

-jk

snowdenscold
10-26-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing how long PEPCO can leave us in the dark this time.

<sigh>

-jk

Never underestimate the incompetence of Pepco !

throatybeard
10-26-2012, 03:18 PM
As Bubba Sparxxx would say, it's gittin ugglayyy:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/historic-sandy-targets-new-yor/701206

Dukeface88
10-26-2012, 04:07 PM
They're already calling it the recurrence of The Perfect Storm!

So, you're saying I should cancel my fishing trip then?

BD80
10-26-2012, 04:10 PM
As Bubba Sparxxx would say, it's gittin ugglayyy:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/historic-sandy-targets-new-yor/701206

It's gonna hit during a full moon. Batten down the hatches.

blazindw
10-26-2012, 04:17 PM
So, you're saying I should cancel my fishing trip then?

Only if you're attempting to go to the Flemish Cap. ;)

OldPhiKap
10-26-2012, 04:18 PM
It's gonna hit during a full moon. Batten down the hatches.

And stock up on silver bullets.

-jk
10-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Montgomery County (MD) schools just preemptively closed Monday and Tuesday.

Alas.

-jk

devildeac
10-28-2012, 04:03 PM

Alas.

-jk

Will the METRO be closed, too? Serious question given the closing of NYC subways.

Dukeface88
10-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Will the METRO be closed, too? Serious question given the closing of NYC subways.

No announcement so far. Sounds like they're going to try to keep it open though (http://www.wmata.com/rider_tools/metro_service_status/advisories.cfm?AID=1363).

PumpkinFunk
10-28-2012, 04:16 PM

I doubt it. They've been prepping and trying to keep the system from flooding, which I think they'll successfully do. NYC subway closing is probably because of proximity to the storm surge, which isn't a problem here. Although I could see some above-ground stations having problems.

It's really only a matter of time until the government shuts down, which will be the domino causing everything else to close. I know that my friends and I are expecting the universities to close. Most of the area public schools are already closed, and a lot of private schools are closed right now too.

Dukeface88
10-28-2012, 04:52 PM
I doubt it. They've been prepping and trying to keep the system from flooding, which I think they'll successfully do. NYC subway closing is probably because of proximity to the storm surge, which isn't a problem here. Although I could see some above-ground stations having problems.

Yeah. Seems like they're more concerned with wind on the above-ground lines than flooding on the below-ground.

It's really only a matter of time until the government shuts down, which will be the domino causing everything else to close. I know that my friends and I are expecting the universities to close.

You can add me to that. GULC hasn't actually sent anything out yet either, but it's only a matter of time IMO. I imagine GW will close before we do though, since you're closer to the river.

PumpkinFunk
10-28-2012, 05:02 PM
You can add me to that. GULC hasn't actually sent anything out yet either, but it's only a matter of time IMO. I imagine GW will close before we do though, since you're closer to the river.

That's not really why I'm expecting them to close... it's not like the river's not gonna flood or anything, it's that the federal government will be shut down, Metro will be on weekend schedule, and professors aren't gonna want to come in from the suburbs. Just for that reason, I think every university in the city will shut down tomorrow and Tuesday. And even if the undergrads have class, I doubt that the professional/grad schools will have classes... just doesn't seem likely that the professors will want to come in or that they'll want to make students come into the city and risk driving in the bad weather.

hurleyfor3
10-29-2012, 12:16 AM
Sister lives in Manhattan. Apparently it is impossible to get off the island... with a hurricane bearing down... gee, sounds like New Orleans that one time.

Anyway, this blog has some interesting pictures. Reminiscent of when half an inch of snow gets forecast for North Carolina.

http://myupperwest.com/upper-west-side/uws-photos-of-the-day-sandy-sunday/

CameronBornAndBred
10-29-2012, 09:28 AM
For some unknown reason, the (moronic) captain of the HMS Bounty (replica of the original and used in lots of movies) took the ship out in the storm and it just sank off the coast of Hatteras. 14 rescued, 2 still may be missing. The Graveyard of the Atlantic takes in another permanent resident.
The Bounty was the ship from the story "Mutiny on the Bounty". The original was burned by the mutineers off Pitcairn Island. This ship was built for the movie starring Marlon Brando and was most recently used in one of the Pirates of the Carribean movies. I got to see it when it was in Morehead City for the tall ships event we had in 2006.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Coast-Guard-Rescue-Underway-Now-16-People-In-Lifeboats-Off-NC-Coast-176228331.html

Dev11
10-29-2012, 09:40 AM

Alas.

-jk

As a proud MoCo alum, I can happily recount a handful of snow-less snow days in my childhood, especially since the horrible black ice day of 2001 or 2002. Trust Rockville to overreact first.

El_Diablo
10-29-2012, 09:46 AM
The DC Metro is closed Monday; no word yet for Tuesday. Updates are available here: http://www.wmata.com/rider_tools/metro_service_status/advisories.cfm?AID=1363

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-29-2012, 10:05 AM
It was rainy and mild on my short drive to work. Were the wholesale closures really necessary today in the DC region?

PumpkinFunk
10-29-2012, 10:18 AM
It was rainy and mild on my short drive to work. Were the wholesale closures really necessary today in the DC region?

I'd say wait until 2-3 PM, then see. It was definitely preemptive, but I would bet it was meant to protect people from coming home in the terrible weather. I mean, the only part of the government that is open today is the Supreme Court.

rthomas
10-29-2012, 01:23 PM
For some unknown reason, the (moronic) captain of the HMS Bounty (replica of the original and used in lots of movies) took the ship out in the storm and it just sank off the coast of Hatteras. 14 rescued, 2 still may be missing. The Graveyard of the Atlantic takes in another permanent resident.
The Bounty was the ship from the story "Mutiny on the Bounty". The original was burned by the mutineers off Pitcairn Island. This ship was built for the movie starring Marlon Brando and was most recently used in one of the Pirates of the Carribean movies. I got to see it when it was in Morehead City for the tall ships event we had in 2006.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Coast-Guard-Rescue-Underway-Now-16-People-In-Lifeboats-Off-NC-Coast-176228331.html

Now that I have seen a photo of this ship: That's a bummer.

-bdbd
10-29-2012, 01:54 PM
I'd say wait until 2-3 PM, then see. It was definitely preemptive, but I would bet it was meant to protect people from coming home in the terrible weather. I mean, the only part of the government that is open today is the Supreme Court.

Yeah, in DC a near-complete full Fed Government shutdown, with DC Metro closed (the announcement said something about concern over flooding in Metro facillities damaging things). Almost all public schools in the area are closed Monday and many have already announced Tuesday closures (our in Prince William County just announced closure Tues.). Here in the VA suburbs we've had pretty steady rain and cold overcast all day, though a slight let-up in the last hour or two. Winds are supposed to pick up after 6pm tonight, and be out of the north, shifting to NW on Tuesday (due to counter-clockwise air flow around the progressing hurricane). Tuesday appears to be the wetter, more windy of the two days. Wed. should see some clearing, which thrills my trick-or-treating kids... :rolleyes:

pamtar
10-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Cant quote on mobile, but in reference to CB& B's post, apparently they take bigger ships out to sea as a safety precaution. Dunno why they couldnt just hide behind the OBX or motor through the icw? Thats what everyone around here does with boats they cant trailor. Anyways, hope they find everyone.

CameronBornAndBred
10-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Cant quote on mobile, but in reference to CB& B's post, apparently they take bigger ships out to sea as a safety precaution. Dunno why they couldnt just hide behind the OBX or motor through the icw? Thats what everyone around here does with boats they cant trailor. Anyways, hope they find everyone.
Yeah, if it were a big tanker or a Navy vessel, it makes sense. But I'm with you, why not just pull into port somewhere? We did not get anything severe enough here to capsize a boat or a ship. I had a service call in Morehead this morning at a marina that had some minor flooding, but the boats anchored in port were still there and doing fine. :confused:

sporthenry
10-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Yeah, if it were a big tanker or a Navy vessel, it makes sense. But I'm with you, why not just pull into port somewhere? We did not get anything severe enough here to capsize a boat or a ship. I had a service call in Morehead this morning at a marina that had some minor flooding, but the boats anchored in port were still there and doing fine. :confused:

Apparently two are still missing and they say its a miracle they found the other 14 like finding a needle in a haystack.

Jersey Shore is taking a beating and the people who stayed behind are paying for it.

OldPhiKap
10-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Jersey Shore is taking a beating and the people who stayed behind are paying for it.

Hope Snooki made it out okay. Some Situation.

NYT Live-Blog of storm:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/28/nyregion/hurricane-sandy.html?hp

JBDuke
10-29-2012, 02:53 PM

I'm sure there are many here more nautically proficient than me, but my understanding is that large vessels, including the Bounty are best being out at sea in bad storms, as the wind, storm surge, and possibly waves (depending on the harbor) can batter the ship against hard surfaces. Smaller ships and boats can be protected by fends, I think.

hurleyfor3
10-29-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm sure there are many here more nautically proficient than me, but my understanding is that large vessels, including the Bounty are best being out at sea in bad storms, as the wind, storm surge, and possibly waves (depending on the harbor) can batter the ship against hard surfaces. Smaller ships and boats can be protected by fends, I think.

Also, many inland waters aren't that deep and it can be very easy to run aground. The ICW and similar narrow channels often need to be re-dredged after major storms.

sagegrouse
10-29-2012, 03:22 PM

The Navy goes out to sea during storms. Old Navy and Bob Green can comment better than me. The ships are relatively fast and can usually maneuver their way out of the worst parts of the storm. --

sagegrouse

OldPhiKap
10-29-2012, 03:54 PM
The Navy goes out to sea during storms. Old Navy and Bob Green can comment better than me. The ships are relatively fast and can usually maneuver their way out of the worst parts of the storm. --

sagegrouse

Of course, this was a rig-mast sailing ship. I assume it also had an engine (?) but not sure it is strong enough to stay into the waves.

rthomas
10-29-2012, 03:56 PM
The Navy goes out to sea during storms.

Forrest Gump and Captain Dan made the best out of it.

devildeac
10-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Nearly 9 inches of rain reported in Virginia Beach so far and 10 inches of rain forecast/projected for Baltimore and Ocean City, Md.

OldPhiKap
10-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Forrest Gump and Captain Dan made the best out of it.

Of course, they tried that in The Final Countdown with near disastrous results.

(If by "disastrous" you mean the ripping of the space-time continuum, not avoiding Pearl Harbor. Potayto, potahto).

Dukeface88
10-29-2012, 05:13 PM

sagegrouse

Those ships are also much larger than the Bounty, which IIRC helps stability. Even then there's some risk to the smaller warships; the USN lost three destroyers to a typhoon during WW2 (although that storm was much worse than this one).

Newton_14
10-29-2012, 08:41 PM

Mark on his soapbox here, so be warned. Things like this bother me immensely as I have a brother-in-law, and nephew (his son) who are full time firemen. Over the years I have seen them risk their lives to "save people from themselves" in times like this too many times to count. The decision made with The Bounty was to put a wooden ship built for movies over human life. It does not get any dumber or moronic than that. I know big ships go out to sea for safety, but this was a wooden sailboat. You tie it down in port and hope for the best, or take it inland up one of the big rivers. If it ends up as match sticks then so be it. What you don't do is put 16 human beings on it, and send it out on a suicide mission.

This morning it was reported that 19 were aboard, but I suppose the accurate number is 16. (Otherwise there are 5 souls missing)

It is a miracle the 14 were found and rescued.

sagegrouse
10-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Mark on his soapbox here, so be warned. Things like this bother me immensely as I have a brother-in-law, and nephew (his son) who are full time firemen. Over the years I have seen them risk their lives to "save people from themselves" in times like this too many times to count. The decision made with The Bounty was to put a wooden ship built for movies over human life. It does not get any dumber or moronic than that. I know big ships go out to sea for safety, but this was a wooden sailboat. You tie it down in port and hope for the best, or take it inland up one of the big rivers. If it ends up as match sticks then so be it. What you don't do is put 16 human beings on it, and send it out on a suicide mission.

This morning it was reported that 19 were aboard, but I suppose the accurate number is 16. (Otherwise there are 5 souls missing)

It is a miracle the 14 were found and rescued.

The Bounty was en route from Connecticut to Florida or someplace beyond. I friend of my brother's was rescued off the boat -- to the great relief of his family. They had no word unitl he called them.

sagegrouse

Newton_14
10-29-2012, 09:41 PM
The Bounty was en route from Connecticut to Florida or someplace beyond. I friend of my brother's was rescued off the boat -- to the great relief of his family. They had no word unitl he called them.

sagegrouse

Glad to hear your your brother's friend was rescued Sage. The 14 are very fortunate. Any updates on the two that are missing?

roywhite
10-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Glad to hear your your brother's friend was rescued Sage. The 14 are very fortunate. Any updates on the two that are missing?

Heard a recent report (not sure of exact source) that an additional person was found, but was "unresponsive" and that only the ship's captain was still missing.

CameronBornAndBred
10-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Heard a recent report (not sure of exact source) that an additional person was found, but was "unresponsive" and that only the ship's captain was still missing.
Unfortunately she has died. The captain is still missing. At least the woman's family can take solace in knowing she was found.

roywhite
10-30-2012, 07:11 AM
In addition to the links that DBR provided from the New York Times and Washington Post, here are a number of hurricane/flood pictures from the UK Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2225108/Hurricane-Sandy-2012-Superstorm-batters-US-coast-Manhattan-goes-dark-6m-power-16-dead.html)

roywhite
10-31-2012, 06:59 AM
Additional pictures, also from the UK Daily Mail

True scale of Sandy's devastation across Eastern Seaboard emerges as death toll hits FIFTY and damage set to top $50BILLION
(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2225112/Superstorm-Sandy-Death-toll-hits-FIFTY-damage-set-50BILLION.html)