PDA

View Full Version : Cutcliffe and UT-Knoxville: Cutcliffe commits to 2013 in Durham

Olympic Fan
10-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Big story on Tennessee boards and on the twitterverse -- Derek Dooley is gone after this season at Tennessee and the Vols are going to make another run at Coach Cut.

The story is even being reported by a Nashville TV station:

http://www.wkrn.com/story/19897758/joe-biddle

Now, Joe Biddle is an idiot -- the story is a wish fulfillment in that he has Cut assembling all these top assistants from all over the country. He doesn't seem top be aware that Cut refused to come back to Tennessee in 2010 because the Vols wouldn't let him bring his entire Duke staff or that he was fired at Ole Miss for refusing to make staff changes.

I don't know if Dave Hart, the new Tennessee AD, would come after Cut. I know Hart is a smart man (the former AD at Florida State) and he knows (even if Biddle doesn't) what it would take to lure Cutcliffe back to Tennessee.

Cut was asked about it at today's ACC teleconference and gave a very bland, political answer (how he's focused on this season and how he's happy at Duke). He can't say much more -- heck, Dooley hasn't even been fired yet, although he is very likely to be.

Obviously, internet speculation is not something to worry about (like the idiots at Kentucky who seem to think they can steal Cut). But IF Dooley is fired. And IF Hart decides that Cutcliffe is the man he wants, I would be worried. I think there are only two jobs that could lure Cut from Duke -- Tennessee (where he spent the majority of his coaching career) and Alabama (his alma mater). Hopefully they are too political in Knoxville to give him a free hand. I talked to a Tenessee insider today who (1) insisted that Dooley was gone and (2) thought they would offer Cut if he'd be willing to keep their current defensive coordinator.

I hope he's right -- that's the kind of stumbling block which would cause them to whiff again.

PS If the mods think this is rumor mongering, feel free to kill it. But I waited until it was in the news cycle (the N&O has a blog about the story, in addition to the Biddle column) before I posted.

DeltaHedgeTrader
10-24-2012, 05:25 PM
The bigger story is that Jon Gruden may be offered as soon as Derek Dooley is fired on Monday after they lose to South Carolina on Saturday. This would keep Cutcliffe at Duke, but if Dave Hart whiffs on Gruden, then we may have to worry about Cutcliffe.

Big story on Tennessee boards and on the twitterverse -- Derek Dooley is gone after this season at Tennessee and the Vols are going to make another run at Coach Cut.

The story is even being reported by a Nashville TV station:

http://www.wkrn.com/story/19897758/joe-biddle

Now, Joe Biddle is an idiot -- the story is a wish fulfillment in that he has Cut assembling all these top assistants from all over the country. He doesn't seem top be aware that Cut refused to come back to Tennessee in 2010 because the Vols wouldn't let him bring his entire Duke staff or that he was fired at Ole Miss for refusing to make staff changes.

I don't know if Dave Hart, the new Tennessee AD, would come after Cut. I know Hart is a smart man (the former AD at Florida State) and he knows (even if Biddle doesn't) what it would take to lure Cutcliffe back to Tennessee.

Cut was asked about it at today's ACC teleconference and gave a very bland, political answer (how he's focused on this season and how he's happy at Duke). He can't say much more -- heck, Dooley hasn't even been fired yet, although he is very likely to be.

Obviously, internet speculation is not something to worry about (like the idiots at Kentucky who seem to think they can steal Cut). But IF Dooley is fired. And IF Hart decides that Cutcliffe is the man he wants, I would be worried. I think there are only two jobs that could lure Cut from Duke -- Tennessee (where he spent the majority of his coaching career) and Alabama (his alma mater). Hopefully they are too political in Knoxville to give him a free hand. I talked to a Tenessee insider today who (1) insisted that Dooley was gone and (2) thought they would offer Cut if he'd be willing to keep their current defensive coordinator.

I hope he's right -- that's the kind of stumbling block which would cause them to whiff again.

PS If the mods think this is rumor mongering, feel free to kill it. But I waited until it was in the news cycle (the N&O has a blog about the story, in addition to the Biddle column) before I posted.

cato
10-24-2012, 05:59 PM
The bigger story is that Jon Gruden may be offered as soon as Derek Dooley is fired on Monday after they lose to South Carolina on Saturday. This would keep Cutcliffe at Duke, but if Dave Hart whiffs on Gruden, then we may have to worry about Cutcliffe.

Indeed, per Wikipedia (i.e., as of right now), Gruden is the current head coach at UT.

Any sense of whether Gruden would be interested? Out here in SD, he is constantly rumored as Norv Turner's eventual replacement. If Gruden is interested in the Chargers job, I would think he would wait until the end of the NFL season to jump at anything else.

CameronBornAndBred
10-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Indeed, per Wikipedia (i.e., as of right now), Gruden is the current head coach at UT.

Any sense of whether Gruden would be interested? Out here in SD, he is constantly rumored as Norv Turner's eventual replacement. If Gruden is interested in the Chargers job, I would think he would wait until the end of the NFL season to jump at anything else.

HA! They also list Dooley as former coach. Fired by wiki. What a way to go. :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
10-24-2012, 06:32 PM
HA! They also list Dooley as former coach. Fired by wiki. What a way to go. :rolleyes:

On a related note, I read that the elephant population in Africa has tripled over the last ten years.

Reilly
10-24-2012, 08:37 PM
While family ties are given as a reason he might return to Tenn, I'd think the age of his youngest would weigh toward staying in Durham.

If he were to ever leave, make a run at Coach Mac at SJSU. Wonder who will snap him up.

throatybeard
10-24-2012, 08:45 PM

Maybe they should just fire Turner all willy-nilly.

Dukeblue91
10-24-2012, 09:07 PM
I don't think Coach Cut is going anywhere anytime soon.
He is now on a upswing with his team and he has the full support of the university behind him.
Live is good right now.

cato
10-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Maybe they should just fire Turner all willy-nilly.

Very funny.

However, completely consistent with my position in other matters, I have never advocated firing Turner all willy-nilly. In fact, I am in the slim minority of Chargers fans that think Turner might be the right guy for the job. That said, the back to back meltdowns against NO and Denver have put a few additional nails in Norv's coffin.

If SD misses the playoffs, they will be looking for a new coach. Long standing rumors have Gruden interested, and AJ Smith interested as well (assuming AJ could survive any changing of the guard).

PumpkinFunk
10-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Coach Cut already turned Tennessee down once, in 2010. I cannot imagine that he's going to go there now that he's suddenly getting success here at Duke.

OldPhiKap
10-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Coach Cut already turned Tennessee down once, in 2010. I cannot imagine that he's going to go there now that he's suddenly getting success here at Duke.

I thin Kathe biggest hang-up was UT's requirement that Cut keep some of the assistant staff instead of bringing his own team. But the situation at Duke is different too -- he has his program on the rise and his recruits in the program. More reason to finish the job and be a real player in a league he can be a bigger dog.

Dukehky
10-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Why in the name of heaven would you want to go coach in the SEC right now, Saban has that ish on lock.

Obviously there are a lot of reasons to go to the SEC. I think the fact that he said no so recently is a good sign for Duke's keeping old Coach Cut. I might actually cry if he left, can we not talk about this please? It's too scary. It's like talking about when K retires, I know it's coming eventually but that doesn't mean I like thinking about.

kingboozer
10-24-2012, 11:45 PM
I don't see Cut leaving Duke anytime soon, if ever, if he was going to leave for Tennessee, he would have done so in 2010 when he didn't have as much invested here as he does now. Look at the future he has here, he has an administration that is fully behind football at Duke, a brand spanking new practice facility that some elite programs in this country don't even have, the plans for stadium expansion and renovation that will make Wallace Wade one of the premier stadiums in the ACC (and country) and the potential to become a legend if he builds a consistent, winning team in Durham. Not to mention the fact that Duke Athletics has deep pockets and will pay him what is necessary to keep him here. I just don't see why he would even consider jumping ship now when he's finally seeing the progress of all his hard work these past few seasons. I know Tennessee has a lot that we don't; they have solid tradition, massive fan base, the SEC, and the countless ties that Cut has to the program. With all those pluses however comes serious pressure. If [insert next Tenn. coach name here] doesn't win and win fast, he'll be out the door in 3-4 years, just ask Dooley. These programs don't even give coaches time to get their bags unpacked before they are thrown out the window, its ridiculous. On the other hand here, the only pressure Cut has at Duke is to bring Duke football back from the grave(no easy feat) and to build a consistent program. He's already well on his way, already the winningest coach Duke has had since since Spurrier and is on track to be one of the greatest this program has ever seen. I already motion to name the field after him!

GO DUKE! GO CUT!

DukeSean
10-24-2012, 11:45 PM
I'm gonna make a request to the mods to close this thread...at least until the end of the season. No reason to talk about what ifs until there is actually more evidence. Let's just focus on one of the most historic FB years in recent memory

gep
10-24-2012, 11:59 PM

I know Coach Cut is not Ol' Roy... but Roy turned down unc once before accepting the second time. (and I don't know the situation he had at Kansas, except that he was pretty successful there). I hope the "investment" that Coach Cut put into Duke and the success that is beginning will be enough to keep him here till he retires :cool:

gam7
10-25-2012, 12:11 AM
I think there are only two jobs that could lure Cut from Duke -- Tennessee (where he spent the majority of his coaching career) and Alabama (his alma mater).

OF, I know we're having a great year by Duke standards but you really think there are only two jobs that could lure him from Duke?

Olympic Fan
10-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Look, I don't know if Tennessee will really come after Cut (I don't even know they are going to fire Dooley) and even if they do, I think there's a good chance he doesn't go.

But I don't think you can say because he turned them down in 2010, he'd turn them down now. He turned them down in 2010 because they were insisting that he keep half of Kiffin's staff. If they had allowed him to bring his entire staff from Durham, there's a very good chance we would have lost him then. If Dave Hart were to offer hiom the job -- and give him a free hand to bring who he wants on the staff -- only then would I be worried.

Even then I don't know. It's true that he's got Duke on the upswing -- I think the team will be better next year and the fast start this year has to pay off in recruiting. On the other hand, he may feel like he elevated the program and now he's ready to try and the school he considers home. remember, Steve Spurrier loved Duke, but couldn't turn down Florida when they came calling.

I repeat, this is all just speculation at the moment. But there are grounds for concern. The fact that Cut didn't blow the idea out of the water Wednesday when Heather Dinich asked him about it concerns me.

DukeSean
10-25-2012, 12:31 AM
I repeat, this is all just speculation at the moment. But there are grounds for concern. The fact that Cut didn't blow the idea out of the water Wednesday when Heather Dinich asked him about it concerns me.

I didn't hear Cut's actual response, but N&O beat writer Laura Keeley seemed to think he found the rumors silly:

David Cutcliffe affirms commitment to #Duke. laughs at Tennessee rumors
https://twitter.com/laurakeeley/status/261141783604494336

So, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by not blowing the idea out of the water. It's a P.C. answer sure, but maybe Cut just doesn't want to step on any feet, least of all those at TN

CameronBornAndBred
10-25-2012, 06:53 AM
I'm gonna make a request to the mods to close this thread...at least until the end of the season. No reason to talk about what ifs until there is actually more evidence.
No offense, but you could say the same about every one of the recruiting threads on this board. No reason to close the thread if it is based on a real subject.

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Now, Joe Biddle is an idiot -- Agreed.

I hope that Derek Dooley enjoys many seasons at UT. It's been fun to watch thus far.

mkline09
10-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Several things I believe keep Cut at Duke. He sees the investment the school has made in the program. How many guys get to make a program their own and build it up from scratch which is essentially what he has had to do. He is doing it with the team and with the facilities and that is something very special and unique in this day and age for a school that is already at the FBS Level. Now that he is winning I think he has become too emotionally invested in the program to dump it for a better looking date. While he has the history with Tennessee and Tennessee could obviously offer him all these things there is one thing they can't necessarily offer: loyalty. Cut has been through the SEC meat grinder. He had a great thing going on at Ole Miss and they chewed him up and spit him out and that was after just one bad year. As much as the Vols may want him and say they want him, if he doesn't beat Florida, South Carolina et al. with regularity and soon, he'd be out of a job quickly. The SEC values the importance of winning football games only slightly more than breathing or eating. At 54 (I think) why would he want to subject himself to that again? At Duke he pretty much has free reign to build the program how he wants it with almost zero fear of getting fired unless the wheels come off or he does something completely out of character. So my money is on him staying regardless of what happens. Maybe I'm being naive but I truly believe he sticks with Duke. If he wanted to go to Tennessee he does it in 2010 when Duke hadn't turned the corner yet.

Reilly
10-25-2012, 10:13 AM
...The SEC values the importance of winning football games only slightly more than breathing or eating. At 54 (I think) why would he want to subject himself to that again? At Duke he pretty much has free reign to build the program how he wants it with almost zero fear of getting fired ....

I agree with you that Cut does not go to Tennessee. I disagree that the pressure of the Tenn job would be a factor keeping him in Durham. The man is a competitor. Loves college football. Loves to compete. Tenn and the SEC, as you note, offer that better than any place else in the country. Cut lights up talking about "the third Saturday in October" (Ala - Tenn). He's a competitor. The pressure would be an attraction for him, not a turn-off. He tells the story of how he was a head coach at a Birmingham, Alabama high school, with a Cadillac and a bass boat. He sold the car and the boat, bought a small car, and moved to Tenn as a part-timer or grad assistant or some such. If he wanted comfort, he doesn't move. If he wanted comfort, he could be an OC just about anywhere rather than taking over a 3-33 Duke team.

I believe his family (both blood, and Duke) keeps him at Duke.

He's 58, btw.

wilko
10-25-2012, 11:06 AM
I love that Duke Football is the toast of the town right now.
This is the MOST POSITIVE PR that's come out in YEARS. Winning tends to do that. That's good. No - that's GREAT!

The Irony is not lost on me that the ACC needs Duke to be successful to put Miami/UNC/GT funny business in the rear view mirror and become College Footballs; (or at least the ACC's) feel good story of the year.

A head football coach MUST be a level headed, even keeled, thick-skinned, tuff hombre. I couldn't stand the heat. The reality I see is that Cut is one 4th down TD conversion (Crowder) away from being one of the most horrible play-callers in the game (failed 4th down conversion) with a predictable offense and mediocre execution. The difference between Hero and Has-been is razor thin.

I'm happy for the success. Proud of our Players and coaches. Been a loooooooooooong time coming. Lotta sweat and tears to get here. But I cant really believe we have "arrived", we are simply still very much on the way - IMHO.

A win over FSU or Clemson will go a long way to get me up to speed with the rest of you guys... but I need to see it happen before I jump in head first. Jaded by too much false optimism I guess.

And FWIW - I'll be at the last home game of the year.
Duke fans have been chided in the past for not showing support. Perhaps rightly so. BUT - I don't see the point in spending my $ and my Saturday if there is no hope of seeing a happy ending. Hope is now residing here.

With the team being competitive it makes it FAR easier to make the effort go to a game.
Folks now have no excuse not to show up..

OldPhiKap
10-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Last night, I streamed Cut's press conference after the Carolina game. He tells a great story about coming to Duke for the interview, calling his wife, and telling her that he wanted to take the job even though it had not been offered to him yet. He told his wife that Duke would offer him, because the fit was so good. (Or something like that).

I do not know if Tennessee will come calling, and if they do I don't know what Cut's response will be. It would not be an easy decision to leave Duke, and Duke would likely match the money. Does he want to keep building the Miracle in Durham and have a chance to be king of the ACC? Or return to a place with mixed history for him (great times no doubt and lots of friends, but going to where they fired his friend Phil Fulmer and to a job where they may run him out of town for going 8-4)? While Cut is certainly a competitor and wants to be The Best, he certainly has greater job security at Duke than at Tennessee and plays in a more manageable conference with tie-ins to the National Championship.

I hope it doesn't come to that point, and if it does I hope we are on the winning end of the equation's balance. But I doubt Cut himself knows what he would do if the opportunity arose. This season will produce increased strength in recruiting, etc. and accolades. I imagine he would also talk to K, who has weighed similar decisions with the Celtics and the Lakers.

Here's to hoping that the issue does not arise.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Even though the matter of other schools coming after Coach Cutcliffe makes me anxious, I also know that this is what happens when a program succeeds and does well.

There is a magical quality to what's going on at Duke right now. None of us want it to end!

CameronBornAndBred
10-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Even though the matter of other schools coming after Coach Cutcliffe makes me anxious, I also know that this is what happens when a program succeeds and does well.

There is a magical quality to what's going on at Duke right now. None of us want it to end!

This has nothing to do with whether it is Tennessee that knocks on Cut's door or any other school..it is merely a blanket statement. If Cut were to leave for a different job, while disappointed I would be ok with it. He would be leaving Duke a far better program than he found it, and that's all anyone can ask for in a coach. I know the stories of how he turned down the Volunteers because of his loyalties, but I also believe he stayed because he knew he had a job to finish. Duke is still a long way from being "a finished job", but at least we are well on our way, and I have faith that those still in Durham will continue to work on what he has laid the foundation for.

brevity
10-25-2012, 02:14 PM
I see the decision making process going something like this:

Coach Cutcliffe: I've talked with my family, and they're fine either way. What do you think?

Peyton Manning: I'd love to see you back at Tennessee. You'd do great there. It's just...

Coach Cutcliffe: What?

Peyton Manning: Eli and I like going to Cameron and seeing those Duke basketball games. Any chance we could still do that if you leave?

Coach Cutcliffe: Probably not.

Peyton Manning: Well, then, there's your deciding factor. Stay where you are.

formerdukeathlete
10-25-2012, 02:15 PM
This has nothing to do with whether it is Tennessee that knocks on Cut's door or any other school..it is merely a blanket statement. If Cut were to leave for a different job, while disappointed I would be ok with it. He would be leaving Duke a far better program than he found it, and that's all anyone can ask for in a coach. I know the stories of how he turned down the Volunteers because of his loyalties, but I also believe he stayed because he knew he had a job to finish. Duke is still a long way from being "a finished job", but at least we are well on our way, and I have faith that those still in Durham will continue to work on what he has laid the foundation for.

I share what may be some of your faith that admin at Duke should be able to hire a HC, were Cut to leave, who would build upon Cutcliffe's work in progress. We know more about what is possible based on other programs of peer institutions. Our facilties, now that we have a proper plan for the stadium, are / will be sound and competitive with other programs. We are paying competitively. We have creampuff OOC schedules (compare these teams with who Mike McGee had to play in the 70s for revenue purposes). But, these are also the same reasons why Cutcliffe might very well stay even if offered an SEC HC job. There is another reason why Cut may be inclined to stay - having had major open heart surgery due to blocked arteries. How many times would one want to, or would it be advisable to undertake major life changes which are without a doubt stressful. Cut would worry not only about his plight, but also that of his staff. Staying at Duke, he will have pressure to win. For example, had he won just 3 or fewer this season, he may have been fired. But, the pressure may not be as great as when taking over a program such as at Tennessee, particularly now that at Duke he has started to deliver measurable results on the field. Ironically, I think the better he does this season, the more likely he would stay. Because this obviates the sort of rule of thumb that in making a coaching change one has at a minimum added another 4 years, or whatever guarantee one can negotiate, to one's HC career. Doing better also increases the chances that Cutcliffe would be land more elite talent in recruiting to Duke. More elite talent equals more competitive Football, and, then, more job security and less stress. If we win a couple more this season, I would not be surprised to see a couple of elite prospects who had committed to other programs change their commitments to Duke. Again, as things go around and round, this would be more likely if Cut ignores SEC overtures, and Cut would be more likely to stay were some of these elite recruits to switch to Duke.

75Crazie
10-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Is it possible that his previous heart attack might contribute to a desire to stay at a school where winning is a much lower-pressure situation?

budwom
10-25-2012, 02:20 PM
The pressure-to-money ratio at Tennessee would be absurdly higher. And the competition is ridiculously difficult.
I don't think for a moment he'll make the mistake of going.
If anything, now is a good time to sign a contract extension with more $$. And I bet he'll do just that.

mkline09
10-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Tweet from Dave Glenn Show here in the Triangle from Cut.

Cutcliffe on UT ?s: there are a lot of fickle fans. Duke fans have not been fickle with me and I believe loyalty deserves loyalty.

Obviously nothing is every concrete but this is good to hear.

CameronBornAndBred
10-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Agreed.

I hope that Derek Dooley enjoys many seasons at UT. It's been fun to watch thus far.

Dooley has been rehired by Wikipedia.:D

devildeac
10-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Dooley has been rehired by Wikipedia.:D
Excellent find/info.

Did he get a raise and/or contract extension:rolleyes:?

Seriously, after what he's done this year (so far;) ), and all his comments about family, loyalty and reaching goals, I'd be quite surprised if he left. Still a lot he can accomplish here.

OldPhiKap
10-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Tweet from Dave Glenn Show here in the Triangle from Cut.

Cutcliffe on UT ?s: there are a lot of fickle fans. Duke fans have not been fickle with me and I believe loyalty deserves loyalty.

Obviously nothing is every concrete but this is good to hear.

"Loyalty" is a word Cut uses a lot. More importantly, it is a trait he displays constantly.

I would like to think that the tempting ship to jump has already sailed, and that he remains committed to make our unique institution a center of excellence on and off the field.

Duvall
10-25-2012, 04:08 PM
I see the decision making process going something like this:

Coach Cutcliffe: I've talked with my family, and they're fine either way. What do you think?

Peyton Manning: I'd love to see you back at Tennessee. You'd do great there. It's just...

Coach Cutcliffe: What?

Peyton Manning: Eli and I like going to Cameron and seeing those Duke basketball games. Any chance we could still do that if you leave?

Coach Cutcliffe: Probably not.

Peyton Manning: Well, then, there's your deciding factor. Stay where you are.

Iron Dukes: Well, I wouldn't say there's *no* chance...

DukeSean
10-25-2012, 04:27 PM
No offense, but you could say the same about every one of the recruiting threads on this board. No reason to close the thread if it is based on a real subject.

none taken. I just prefer to have the focus on the team and the next game.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-25-2012, 04:34 PM
"Loyalty" is a word Cut uses a lot. More importantly, it is a trait he displays constantly.

I would like to think that the tempting ship to jump has already sailed, and that he remains committed to make our unique institution a center of excellence on and off the field.
I believe Cut and his sincerity. It's sometimes hard to interpret tweets given the brevity of communication. But I hope that he stays as a result of his sincere desire to be here and not simply a sense of obligation to do so.

What worries me most is... us - the fan base. He and the players are knocking themselves out to be great. We filled the stands last time out. But will we be able to demonstrate continued commitment to him and the team? That to me is probably the biggest question with respect to his long term commitment to Duke. The university's commitment to the program is great and I'm sure means a lot to him. But you can see a loyal guy like him get frustrated if the fan base doesn't commit at a high level, too.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-25-2012, 04:35 PM
none taken. I just prefer to have the focus on the team and the next game.
There's a thread for that, too.

OldPhiKap
10-25-2012, 05:53 PM
What worries me most is... us - the fan base. He and the players are knocking themselves out to be great. We filled the stands last time out. But will we be able to demonstrate continued commitment to him and the team? That to me is probably the biggest question with respect to his long term commitment to Duke. The university's commitment to the program is great and I'm sure means a lot to him. But you can see a loyal guy like him get frustrated if the fan base doesn't commit at a high level, too.

Agreed. Cut raved about the Duke turnout for the Carolina game. We need a big crowd for Clemson and Miami, as well as a good turnout for whatever bowl we attend. (Still hard to believe I can type the second clause of that sentence). Is the Miami game during break?

davekay1971
10-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Agreed. Cut raved about the Duke turnout for the Carolina game. We need a big crowd for Clemson and Miami, as well as a good turnout for whatever bowl we attend.

As well as a big turnout for the ACC Championship game.

uh_no
10-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Agreed. Cut raved about the Duke turnout for the Carolina game. We need a big crowd for Clemson and Miami, as well as a good turnout for whatever bowl we attend. (Still hard to believe I can type the second clause of that sentence). Is the Miami game during break?

yep.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-25-2012, 06:52 PM

The Miami game is the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Why don't you head on up and help us finish the regular season off in a great big way!

wilko
10-25-2012, 06:53 PM
The Miami game is the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Why don't you head on up and help us finish the regular season off in a great big way!

I'll be there... Good Lord willing and all...

OldPhiKap
10-25-2012, 07:01 PM

Unfortunately I have court the next week. Looking forward to the (TBD) Bowl, though, and if plans change for Turkey Day you will be on the top of the contact list!

throatybeard
10-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Very funny.

However, completely consistent with my position in other matters, I have never advocated firing Turner all willy-nilly. In fact, I am in the slim minority of Chargers fans that think Turner might be the right guy for the job. That said, the back to back meltdowns against NO and Denver have put a few additional nails in Norv's coffin.

If SD misses the playoffs, they will be looking for a new coach. Long standing rumors have Gruden interested, and AJ Smith interested as well (assuming AJ could survive any changing of the guard).

I assure you my intent is a very long way from humor.

There is a diseased philosophy in this country, whereby people believe that there's no problem that can't be solved by someone other than themselves being fired. (Sports fans especially). Your record in the past is clear. I'm glad for Mr Turner that he inexplicably escapes your aim.

I'm amazed Turner is still around. It seems like there's a Norv Turner job vigil every year.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Unfortunately I have court the next week. Looking forward to the (TBD) Bowl, though, and if plans change for Turkey Day you will be on the top of the contact list!

I'm flexible and can accommodate even a last minute change of plans.

I understand that a long drive on Sunday may not allow for sufficient recovery time to be sharp for court beginning on Monday. At least the other folks may still be under the spell of turkey foggy cognition.

devildeac
10-26-2012, 09:48 AM

I'm flexible and can accommodate even a last minute change of plans.

I understand that a long drive on Sunday may not allow for sufficient recovery time to be sharp for court beginning on Monday. At least the other folks may still be under the spell of turkey foggy cognition.

Shoot, he's got a sister in Raleigh or we'd even pitch a tent on our back deck or in our yard for OPK if he made the journey;).

davekay1971
10-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Pardon if this fringes on rumor-mongering...

A friend of mine who worked in, and remains well connected with, the UT athletic department confirmed to me that Gruden is, indeed, number 1 on the target list for UT. He said if Gruden doesn't work out, he's not sure where UT will go. My friend is close enough to the UT athletic department that I feel safe in assuming that if my friend doesn't know, UT doesn't yet know who their number 2 option is if Gruden doesn't work out, either.

He's also a friend of Cut from his old days in the UT athletic department, but I did not ask him whether UT was on Cut's radar screen - even if my friend has talked to Cut about it, it seemed inappropriate for me to pry on that kind of personal conversation. What he has told me before is that Dave Cutcliffe is every bit as good of a man as he seems to be and that Cut is a man of absolute integrity and honesty.

OldPhiKap
10-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Shoot, he's got a sister in Raleigh or we'd even pitch a tent on our back deck or in our yard for OPK if he made the journey;).

I will send her y'all's way if she is going to the game (or if you're lurking, sis -- these are good folks).

Going to try to get to the @GT game, and of course the Bowl. Making a batch of lumpy gravy for the tailgate as I type.

Re: Davekay's post -- good stuff, thanks. FWIW here is more on the interweb's view of Gruden to UT: http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/10/25/tennessee-jon-gruden/1656623/

Bluedog
10-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Tennessee has lost to the current #1, #2, #10, and #11 teams in the country. Those are their only four losses (admittedly, they only have 3 wins against lesser competition, including NC St) and they're already calling to axe the coach mid-way through his first season? Seems a bit short-sighted and not an easy situation - their schedule has just been brutal. Fans and administrations are sometimes too focused on instant gratification. I don't have the faintest clue if Derek Dooley is a good long-term coach for Tennessee, but if they thought he was when they hired him not long ago, I don't see enough evidence to contradict that...yet. It seems to me that people were probably unsatisfied with the Dooley hire from the onset. This reminds me as the opposite of the Charlie Weiss situation when Notre Dame quickly signed an extension to his contract after like 8 games, which was equally absurd. Dooley hasn't even been able to recruit his team and has faced an extremely daunting schedule for his first year - expectations seem a bit out of whack.

OldPhiKap
10-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Tennessee has lost to the current #1, #2, #10, and #11 teams in the country. Those are their only four losses (admittedly, they only have 3 wins against lesser competition, including NC St) and they're already calling to axe the coach mid-way through his first season? Seems a bit short-sighted and not an easy situation - their schedule has just been brutal. Fans and administrations are sometimes too focused on instant gratification. I don't have the faintest clue if Derek Dooley is a good long-term coach for Tennessee, but if they thought he was when they hired him not long ago, I don't see enough evidence to contradict that...yet. It seems to me that people were probably unsatisfied with the Dooley hire from the onset. This reminds me as the opposite of the Charlie Weiss situation when Notre Dame quickly signed an extension to his contract after like 8 games, which was equally absurd. Dooley hasn't even been able to recruit his team and has faced an extremely daunting schedule for his first year - expectations seem a bit out of whack.

This is Derek's third season I think, not his first. But your point is well-taken. Patience may be a virue, but it's not one often exercised in the SEC.

Bluedog
10-26-2012, 11:43 AM
This is Derek's third season I think, not his first. But your point is well-taken. Patience may be a virue, but it's not one often exercised in the SEC.

ha, clearly I'm not paying close attention....my mistake. Don't know why I thought that - the Dooley hire seemed like it happened recently to me. ;) Thanks for the correction. Looks like he went 6-7 (3-5) his first season and 5-7 (1-7) his second. But, yeah, if this is the season that broke the camel's back, then it seems pretty rough due to their extremely tough schedule.

JasonEvans
10-26-2012, 12:31 PM
ha, clearly I'm not paying close attention....my mistake. Don't know why I thought that - the Dooley hire seemed like it happened recently to me. ;) Thanks for the correction. Looks like he went 6-7 (3-5) his first season and 5-7 (1-7) his second. But, yeah, if this is the season that broke the camel's back, then it seems pretty rough due to their extremely tough schedule.

Firing a coach after just 3 seasons (heck, the way they are talking, he is already fired, without even completing season #3) when he is playing in the toughest conference in the country seems like a program that is prone to rash and, perhaps, foolish decisions. I can't imagine why Cut or anyone else with good options would want to coach for a program like that.

-Jason "I believe one reason Duke was able to land Cut was that we showed patience with Franks and Roof" Evans

75Crazie
10-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Firing a coach after just 3 seasons (heck, the way they are talking, he is already fired, without even completing season #3) when he is playing in the toughest conference in the country seems like a program that is prone to rash and, perhaps, foolish decisions.
Nailed it in one.

jv001
10-26-2012, 12:42 PM
I assure you my intent is a very long way from humor.

There is a diseased philosophy in this country, whereby people believe that there's no problem that can't be solved by someone other than themselves being fired. (Sports fans especially). Your record in the past is clear. I'm glad for Mr Turner that he inexplicably escapes your aim.

I'm amazed Turner is still around. It seems like there's a Norv Turner job vigil every year.

Changing over to baseball and our St. Louis Cardinals, what's your opinion on our rookie manger(MM)? For a first time manager I think he did ok. Made some mistakes but over all he seemed to handle the team well. But I'm interested in what your opinion is since you probably saw games from the stands and not the tv. GoDuke and GoRedbirds!

OldPhiKap
10-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Firing a coach after just 3 seasons (heck, the way they are talking, he is already fired, without even completing season #3) when he is playing in the toughest conference in the country seems like a program that is prone to rash and, perhaps, foolish decisions. I can't imagine why Cut or anyone else with good options would want to coach for a program like that.

-Jason "I believe one reason Duke was able to land Cut was that we showed patience with Franks and Roof" Evans

I recall a press conference in Cut's first year or so here, when he was asked how it felt to have so much fan buzz about him as coach. His response was that he was Coach of the Year in the SEC, and then let go at the end of the next season. I am sure that stuck in his craw, given his emphasis on loyalty.

Which program do you think will show more loyalty to Cut -- Duke (which has made massive investments in the football program and facilities based upon Cut's input) or Tennessee? Which fan base do you think will show more long-term appreciation for the successes he has -- Duke (where you are a hero if you can get the team to a bowl consistently) or Tennessee ("What? We only made the Chic-Fil-A Bowl? Fire Fulmer!").

throatybeard
10-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Changing over to baseball and our St. Louis Cardinals, what's your opinion on our rookie manger(MM)? For a first time manager I think he did ok. Made some mistakes but over all he seemed to handle the team well. But I'm interested in what your opinion is since you probably saw games from the stands and not the tv. GoDuke and GoRedbirds!

I really can't complain. You lose Albert Pujols, TLR, Dave Duncan, Carpenter most of the year, Berkman most of the year, and Freese and Holliday for stretches, and you only drop from 90 wins to 88. I think that's superb. If I do have any quarrel with Matheny, he did look like a bit of a rookie, at times, when handling pitching changes. There were some instances where a starter had to be left in longer than was perhaps wise simply because the reliever wasn't warmed up yet. He had a bit of a slow hook all year. But this is quibbling. Capturing the new playoff spot and coming within a game of the World Series has to be considered a success.

Re: Dooley, the stakes are so high for these guys and they're under such absurd levels of pressure that I feel if management is to err, it's better to do so on letting someone hang on slightly too long. Heck, I was one of the people defending Ted Roof in year four.

I'm not sure if I was as charitable with Franks. Probably because I attended the NC State game, 2001 I think, in which State had the ball at about our 20 and we didn't even have the defense on the field, and Rivers actually waited for us to get onsides. I couldn't tell whether it was sportsmanship, charity, pity, or simple shock on his part.

A-Tex Devil
10-26-2012, 05:22 PM

This a million times over. Tennessee could very well beat SoCar this weekend and then they'll be favored in their last 4 games. Dooley was a fourth or fifth or sixth choice after Kiffin left them in a lurch late, and he's never had the fans. Maybe it's partly because of his papa, I don't know. But my impression is that Tennessee's recruiting is holding up. Maybe there are some things below the surface we don't know about (he lost his players, or he's on the outs with the Ath Dept). But on the surface, this would be one of the most premature firings I've seen in a while. But Ron Zook only got three years and the Gators did pretty well after that, so maybe that's what the Vols' boosters are hanging their hat on.

As for Cut, I would be disappointed in Tennessee if they went after him. Not that they are too good for Cut, they aren't. Tennessee should be looking for a long term play here. Someone like Kirby Smart or Charlie Strong. (The same people Texas will be looking at if Mack Brown goes this year.... but that's another discussion I'm happy to have elsewhere). I think that the younger Vol fans (wrongly) would view a Cutcliffe hire as a Fulmer and Ole Miss retread, which is good for Duke. They were desperate 3 years ago because of the timing and shock of Kiffin leaving. If Dooley truly does get the axe on Monday, they'll have more choices this time around.

OldPhiKap
10-26-2012, 05:37 PM
As for Cut, I would be disappointed in Tennessee if they went after him. Not that they are too good for Cut, they aren't. Tennessee should be looking for a long term play here. Someone like Kirby Smart or Charlie Strong. (The same people Texas will be looking at if Mack Brown goes this year.... but that's another discussion I'm happy to have elsewhere). I think that the younger Vol fans (wrongly) would view a Cutcliffe hire as a Fulmer and Ole Miss retread, which is good for Duke. They were desperate 3 years ago because of the timing and shock of Kiffin leaving. If Dooley truly does get the axe on Monday, they'll have more choices this time around.

I think there is a lot to this. Gruden is mid-to-late 40's; Cut is mid-to-late 50's I think. Smart and Strong (what a pair of football names there) are top contenders. I think Tennessee may be more interested in building a new direction than replowing an older one. (Not a comment on the quality of any of these folks -- I am obviously hoping Cut is with us for a long time).

And yes, I think our old friend Mack Brown will be vacating an extremely desirable job this year as well -- perhaps while Dooley still keeps his.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-26-2012, 05:52 PM
I think there is a lot to this. Gruden is mid-to-late 40's; Cut is mid-to-late 50's I think. Smart and Strong (what a pair of football names there) are top contenders. I think Tennessee may be more interested in building a new direction than replowing an older one. (Not a comment on the quality of any of these folks -- I am obviously hoping Cut is with us for a long time).

And yes, I think our old friend Mack Brown will be vacating an extremely desirable job this year as well -- perhaps while Dooley still keeps his.
I believe Coach Cutcliffe is in his late 50s.... 58 (DOB 9/16/1954). He'll be eligible for Social Security and Medicare in just a few years. (That last sentence is a statement of fact, not a judgment of any sort. After all, I became eligible rather recently myself.)

SoCalDukeFan
10-28-2012, 09:05 PM
that Tennessee tries to get Lane Kiffin to come back.

SoCal

OldPhiKap
10-28-2012, 10:09 PM
that Tennessee tries to get Lane Kiffin to come back.

SoCal

"No backsies"

mkline09
10-29-2012, 08:54 AM
"No backsies"

They could always take him back and at his hiring press conference announce that he was fired and bring in Gruden or whoever else they had lined up. Now that would be worth watching.

OldPhiKap
11-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Looks like Troy is leading the Vols in Knoxville going into the fourth quarter. Gotta think that is the nail in the coffin for Derek Dooley.

JasonEvans
11-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Looks like Troy is leading the Vols in Knoxville going into the fourth quarter. Gotta think that is the nail in the coffin for Derek Dooley.

Tennessee pulled it out 55-48 over Troy. I have to imagine that if they had lost, Dooley would have been fired tomorrow. I mean, TROY!?!?!

As an aside, Tennessee may have the worst defense of any BCS conference team. In SEC games they have given up -- 37, 51, 41, 44, and 38 points. Today, they gave up 48... to a middle of the pack Sun Belt team.

-Jason "Whew, Tennessee is not in good shape" Evans

OldPhiKap
11-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Tennessee pulled it out 55-48 over Troy. I have to imagine that if they had lost, Dooley would have been fired tomorrow. I mean, TROY!?!?!

As an aside, Tennessee may have the worst defense of any BCS conference team. In SEC games they have given up -- 37, 51, 41, 44, and 38 points. Today, they gave up 48... to a middle of the pack Sun Belt team.

-Jason "Whew, Tennessee is not in good shape" Evans

I saw a bowl prediction that had us playing UT in the Music City Bowl. That would be interesting for a number of reasons.

JasonEvans
11-03-2012, 07:20 PM
I saw a bowl prediction that had us playing UT in the Music City Bowl. That would be interesting for a number of reasons.

Tennessee is 4-5 but has games left against a fairly poor Missouri club and horrible Kentucky. They also play a decent Vandy team, but that is another winnable game for them. They almost certainly need to sweep all three of those games for Dooley to have any chance at keeping his job. 6-6 ain't going to get him another season. 7-5 might.

-Jason "I'd love to get them in a bowl... our offense would enjoy that!" Evans

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-18-2012, 11:45 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8648445/derek-dooley-tennessee-volunteers-return-another-season

arnie
11-18-2012, 12:54 PM
I don't see them necessarily going after Cut. Vandy coach may be their target and if he turns it down, expect them to lure a young successful coach.

Reilly
11-18-2012, 06:30 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/duke-head-coach-david-cutcliffe-announces-he-will-return-next-year

freedevil
11-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Yes, please!

PDDuke85
11-18-2012, 07:13 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/duke-head-coach-david-cutcliffe-announces-he-will-return-next-year

I don't know if Coach Cut would even be considered for the Tennessee job a 2nd time around but good on him for so many reasons to get this message out now. I'm looking forward to the homecoming game, in the future, when Duke celebrates the official naming of Coach Cutcliffe Field at WW Stadium.

Thrilled you're on our side Coach. Now, let's put together a 2 game winning streak to tide me over until spring practice.

SCMatt33
11-18-2012, 07:43 PM

I'm not surprised. Even if he were offered the job, it would be a huge challenge. I moved to Knoxville recently and can tell you that UT has one of those fan bases that expects its team to return to the Manning glory days, and wants to get there quickly. The expectations are unrealistic for the ACC and Cut would rather finish his career somewhere that he doesnt yale I restart from the bottom in the most cutthroat league out there.

ns7
11-18-2012, 08:36 PM

This is fantastic news. I had been reading that Cutcliffe was again one of the top candidates at UT. Looks like the fans #1 choice is Gruden though--would be quite interesting if that happened.