PDA

View Full Version : Duke Basketball Bars - NYC, CHI, et al.

dolver
10-24-2012, 01:34 PM
So living up north in NYC, I was pretty fed up with not knowing where to go to watch the Duke games at a bar. I recently cut cable and that made the issue even more dire.

So I called around to various bars and one of them, Soldier McGee Tavern (http://www.smcgeetavernnyc.com/) agreed to become a Duke bar, playing the games WITH audio. I wanted to let everyone know because I think it would be a lot of fun to have a big group of Duke fans all in the same place during games.

The alumni association's NY chapter does a great job organizing events, but that only covers a few games per season. So if you live in the area, try to make it out. The more people that come, the happier the bar will be and the more likely that they will continue being a Duke bar for seasons to come.

DukieGator
10-24-2012, 02:03 PM
About time! Village Pourhouse and Brother Jimmy's will show the games, but generally won't give us any audio. I encourage any other NYC Dukies to join us!

ChillinDuke
10-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Pretty far for me, but I'll try to get up there and join you fine folk at some point this season.

- Chillin

pfrduke
10-24-2012, 04:46 PM
So living up north in NYC, I was pretty fed up with not knowing where to go to watch the Duke games at a bar. I recently cut cable and that made the issue even more dire.

So I called around to various bars and one of them, Soldier McGee Tavern (http://www.smcgeetavernnyc.com/) agreed to become a Duke bar, playing the games WITH audio. I wanted to let everyone know because I think it would be a lot of fun to have a big group of Duke fans all in the same place during games.

The alumni association's NY chapter does a great job organizing events, but that only covers a few games per season. So if you live in the area, try to make it out. The more people that come, the happier the bar will be and the more likely that they will continue being a Duke bar for seasons to come.

Brilliant. That's very much in my new neck of the woods. Will try to make it out.

blazindw
10-25-2012, 08:31 PM
This is just a friendly post to announce to all of you living in the DC area that Duke DC has a new watch party bar: Laughing Man Tavern. It's located at 1306 G Street NW, right by the 13th Street entrance to the Metro Center metro station.

All Duke alums, parents, and fans are welcome at our watch parties! I will throw the caveat out that it is a bar, and while they don't card all the time, people under 21 may not be able to come in (except if with a parent). But, it's a fun bar, lots of space for us and great food and drink specials while we raise money for our charitable arm, Partners-in-Education.

Our first watch party will be for the Kentucky game and we will post the schedule on our Facebook group page. But, if you're in the area or happen to be visiting from out of town, know you have a DC home at Laughing Man Tavern!

dolver
11-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Just a reminder to check out the game at Soldier McGee tomorrow! Should be a lot of fun - would love to see an amazing Crazie atmosphere there!

wk2109
11-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Just a reminder to check out the game at Soldier McGee tomorrow! Should be a lot of fun - would love to see an amazing Crazie atmosphere there!

I got there around 6:30 for the Georgia State game. I told the bartender that I'd heard that they'd be playing Duke games with the sound on was told that what I'd heard was correct. However, when the game started, the sound didn't come on (and I had to ask them before the game to change the channel one of the tvs to ESPNU because none of the tvs were on that station). Maybe they would have turned the sound on if there were more Duke fans -- I think I was the only person actually watching the Duke game -- but I left at halftime a little bit disappointed. Hopefully as the word gets out about Soldier McGee's being a Duke bar there will be a better game-watching atmosphere. The food was pretty good and the drinks were cheap, so there's potential.

dolver
11-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Sorry about that - to be fair - due to whatever reasons (I spoke to the manager), their official start date was tomorrow for the Kentucky game. If you go there again, I can guarantee there will be other Duke fans there on Tuesday and I have been promised audio for that game and games going forward.

Honestly, I don't think he was prepared to start for the Georgia St game - but don't give up! Give it another go!

Bluedog
11-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Well, I don't want to start a new thread and since we're on the topic of Duke bars, apparently Yak-Zies on Clark (in Wrigleyville) has agreed to show select Duke games with audio. I've never seen a bar in Chicago show a game with audio except for Duke-UNC at Segdwick's. Here are the games they're set to show:

Duke v Kentucky - Tuesday, 11/13/12 @ 8:30 pm
Duke v Ohio St - Wednesday, 11/28/12 @ 8:30 pm
Duke v NC St - Saturday, 1/12/13 @ 11 am
Duke v Miami - Wednesday, 1/23/13 @ 6 pm
Duke v Florida St - Saturday, 2/2/13 @ 1 pm
Duke v NC St - Thursday, 2/7/13 @ 8 pm
Duke v UNC - Wednesday, 2/13/13 @ 8 pm
Duke v Miami - Saturday, 3/2/13 @ 5 pm
Duke v UNC - Saturday, 3/9/13 @ 8 pm

I would go tomorrow, but am out of town. No idea how many people will show up, but if there's significant turnout, they'll expand the schedule and arrange some food/drink specials.

DavidBenAkiva
11-12-2012, 08:12 PM
I, too, have ditched cable and am definitely interested in checking out a game in Yak-Zies in 2013. I live right next to the Yak-Zies on Diversey. It's a short hop on the Clark bus to the one in Wrigleyville. I'm heading home for Thanksgiving and will watch the (t)OSU game with my fellow Duke fans, Mom and Dad.

BlueDevilinNYC
11-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Sorry about that - to be fair - due to whatever reasons (I spoke to the manager), their official start date was tomorrow for the Kentucky game. If you go there again, I can guarantee there will be other Duke fans there on Tuesday and I have been promised audio for that game and games going forward.

Honestly, I don't think he was prepared to start for the Georgia St game - but don't give up! Give it another go!

Duke Alumni Association is hosting a watch party for the Duke/Kentucky game tonight at the Brother Jimmy's in Union Square. Not only will the game be on there, but they have rented out the entire bar for the game (so no worries on sound). I can guarantee you that it will be the best environment for watching the game tonight in NYC; I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

dolver
11-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Brother Jimmy's events are great, but they happen, what, like 3 times per season? I am committed to putting time in to the new bar so that I have a home to watch the games for the other 30-ish games or so.

I'll be at Soldier McGee Sunday for Florida Gulf Coast!

dolver
11-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Getting geared up for Wednesday. I have a buddy who went to Ohio State, so I made this (yes, it is supposed to be ridiculous/cheesy):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GMfhyGmjzs

blazindw
11-26-2012, 10:47 AM
The Duke Alumni Association has taken all the listed watch parties across the nation and put them here (http://dukealumni.com/alumni-communities/regional-programming/hoops-watch). This way, if you're based in, say, DC and are heading to Atlanta around the time of a game, you can find out the official place to watch with fellow Blue Devils!

Having said that, we welcome anyone who may be in DC Wednesday (or any other day) to Laughing Man Tavern for our watch party!

DavidBenAkiva
11-27-2012, 01:37 PM
I'm a Duke fan living in B1G country here in Chicago. It would be great to get together with some other alums. Who else in Chicago would like to get together at Yak-Zies on Clark in Wrigleyville? I'll bring my coyote repellent (http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/16639768-418/coyotes-at-the-gate-at-wrigley-did-they-smell-goat.html).

For fans from other cities, feel free to use this thread to coordinate.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
-- Groucho Marx

Tripping William
03-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Looking for a Duke bar in Midtown (general Times Square vicinity) to watch tomorrow. Any recommendations? Nearest Jimmy's BBQ appears to be near MSG, which would be fine if still recommended.

duke2x
11-13-2016, 11:01 PM
Any resident Pittsburgers know of a way to watch an ESPN3 game in the Fort Duquesne Bridge area? :)