PDA

View Full Version : In Case You Forgot...

Indoor66
10-23-2012, 07:13 PM
:cool:

2010 (http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/Mrurx57Jlsk&hl=en_US&fs=1&)

1 24 90
10-23-2012, 07:27 PM
I was looking at the cover of Sports Illustrated with Scheyer & Zoubek on my wall in my cube at work today and I was thinking that the 2 and a half year anniversary of the title was a few Fridays ago. Thanks for sharing.

obsesseddukefan
10-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Thank-you. That video will never get old.....until we win the next National Championship!
Forever Duke.

wilson
10-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the reminder. 'One Shining Moment' never fails to brighten my day.
And I still have that game on my DVR, followed immediately by local news footage of Jason Heyward homering in his first MLB at-bat (a game I attended with several Duke friends before returning home to watch the title game).
Hell of a day.

moonpie23
10-24-2012, 01:35 PM
i watched the baylor game a couple months ago....when we pulled that one out, i thought we could win the natty....

Turtleboy
10-24-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm still teed off about that pick on Singler.

NSDukeFan
10-24-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm still teed off about that pick on Singler.

Did Matt Howard ever recover from that?

sagegrouse
10-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Did Matt Howard ever recover from that?

Unhappily so. He broke Kyrie's toe the following December.

sage

hq2
10-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Yeah!

Thank-you. That video will never get old.....until we win the next National Championship!
Forever Duke.

A classic game indeed. No further comment.

Cameron
10-24-2012, 09:29 PM
That was one of the most genuinely satisfying nights of my life. And really, how many genuinely satisfying nights do you get in a life? I am talking about the kind that breach a state of transcendent happiness. Never as many as you wish. I was in Indianapolis that Monday with my younger sister, who was 15 at the time and like her brother a big Duke fan, watching history happen inside Lucas Oil Stadium. The pure exhilaration on her face and mine after God did not answer Gordon Hayward's prayer was worth every last mile of the 300 it took to get there. Of course, I never even knew we won until a few seconds later as my head spent the final waning moments of that terrifying stanza buried in my knees, too frightened to move. I can honestly say, in the moments after Brian's trip to the free throw line, I have never been so bone-chillingly scared in my life.

It's difficult to put the series of events that unfolded that evening into words -- or, more accurately, words that anyone who has never sincerely rooted on a team before could ever conceivably understand -- but I imagine it was something similar to what it would be like to die and discover that there is a heaven after all, and that you made it. It was that good. It really was.

dolver
10-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I remember being at a bar, surrounded by Duke fans and going NUTS - After a while, one of my buddies held his glass up to mine for a cheers and I remember the glass just shattering to pieces as I didn't account for how excited I was.

That said, I might be the only one, but I HATE that One Shining Moment is the song of choice for championships. It is the least appropriate song. I don't want to feel like I just completed a self-help lecture from a cheesy inspirational speaker. I'm not sure what I would pick instead, but there are surely MANY better options.

1 24 90
04-05-2013, 07:52 AM
On this date 3 years ago (see original post)

What a great night!

DukeDevil
04-05-2013, 08:35 AM
When that final shot was in the air...all I could think was "I'm going to have to watch this over and over and over for the rest of my life when it goes in"

I swear it was in the air longer than the video shows. I'm pretty sure I was able to stop, write a thesis, submit, get it approved, and publish all before it hit the backboard.

KenTankerous
04-05-2013, 09:40 AM
I remember being at a bar, surrounded by Duke fans and going NUTS - After a while, one of my buddies held his glass up to mine for a cheers and I remember the glass just shattering to pieces as I didn't account for how excited I was.

That said, I might be the only one, but I HATE that One Shining Moment is the song of choice for championships. It is the least appropriate song. I don't want to feel like I just completed a self-help lecture from a cheesy inspirational speaker. I'm not sure what I would pick instead, but there are surely MANY better options.

yes, mightily yes!

i like this one better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bglSn8mpTrM

not that it is appropo, but it came up on my playlist, it fits the tempo and i just love it.

Cameron
04-05-2013, 09:45 AM
This feels like yesterday and a million years ago all at the same time. What a night, indeed. If the basketball gods would allow it, I would like to experience this one more time before I die. I'm not greedy.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Look how much fun those guys are having together. I really so much enjoyed watching that team come together.

That team is a great example of a Duke squad that really excelled at the right time of the year. With the ascension of Zoubek, the emergence of Lance Thomas, the increased confidence from Smitty and Scheyer, the leadership of Singler, and the steady play of Plumlee (x2) they were playing the best basketball of the year come March.

Our last few years, we've played very well early in the season, and then due to injuries (Kelly x2, Kyrie) or chemistry (no citation needed) we have failed to make that last important leap. Look at the teams in the Final Four this year - each of them has made that jump in the last month from "good team, possible contender" to "wow, these guys are for real." Michigan and Louisville have shaken off midseason blahs and pulled together to play consistent great basketball for 40 minutes. Syracuse has elevated their defense to amazing levels and put the other teams on lockdown. And Wichita, well, they wouldn't be here if they weren't also playing well above what people perceived as their ceiling.

Next year's team will also have lots of promise. I like the idea of Dawkins bookending his career with championships.

Go Duke!

UrinalCake
04-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Is anybody else sick of hearing how easy Duke's bracket was that year, and how the NCAA "gifted" us the title? Duke faced the 16, 8, 4, 3, 2, and 5 seeds for an average opponent seed of 6.33. Contrast that with UNC's 2005 title run when they faced the 16, 9, 5, 6, 5, and 1 seeds for an average of 7.0. Who had the easier path? And that doesn't even factor in playing Baylor in Houston and Butler in Indianapolis (roughly the equivalent of us playing the final four in the campus of NC Central in terms of proximity). Or the fact that Purdue had been in the running for a #1 seed before an injury to Hummel dropped them to a 4. Or that Butler was obviously very under-seeded at a 5, considering they made it back to the final game the next year after losing their best player to the draft.

Even if you believe Duke had an easy path in the sense that they matched up well with their opponents (which I disagree with), the notion that the NCAA "gifted" this to them is ludicrous. The NCAA did not make Kentucky lose. They did not make Syracuse lose. Duke earned that title fair and square.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. 2010 was an amazing year and the seasons since then have made me appreciate even more how much has to go right to win a title (chief among this is staying healthy)