PDA

View Full Version : Heat go "position-less" - lots of credit to Shane

nmduke2001
10-22-2012, 04:10 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/15523/it-all-starts-with-lebron-james

Good article on how Shane is influencing LeBron.

BD80
10-22-2012, 05:46 PM
But even though it all starts with James, it doesn’t work without Shane Battier.

James’ only equal

It didn’t make sense on the surface. ... Battier, a then-33-year-old wing player with waning athleticism and limited offensive skill, ... was just what the Heat needed to maximize James’ talents. (emphasis original)

The coaching approach seems very familiar to me:

Spoelstra no longer uses positions to designate his players. Instead, he ... assigns players to five spots on the floor for his go-to sets: a single man in the post, two in the corners and two in the wings.

In practice this preseason, the Heat will run their sets over and over before Spoelstra shouts “switch up” and the players play their own version of musical chairs, rotating from spot to spot.

dball
10-22-2012, 05:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/15523/it-all-starts-with-lebron-james

OK, just waiting for Spoelstra to talk about the fist.

elvis14
10-23-2012, 08:14 AM
They mentioned this on SportsCenter this morning (because Labron is one of ESPN's chosen subjects) and they didn't mention Shane they said it was Spolstra's idea.

moonpie23
10-23-2012, 08:41 AM
i had breakfast with lebron this morning at Finch's here in raleigh.....he spoke very highly of coach Battier...eerrrrrrrr.......teamate Battier......:rolleyes:

cspan37421
10-23-2012, 09:43 AM
OK, just waiting for Spoelstra to talk about the fist.

Boy, if all it takes is "no fixed positions" and a fist analogy, clearly anyone can coach as well as Coach K. ACC hoops parity must be around the corner.

sagegrouse
10-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Boy, if all it takes is "no fixed positions" and a fist analogy, clearly anyone can coach as well as Coach K. ACC hoops parity must be around the corner.

The old master, John Maynard Keynes, had something to say on the subject:

"The ideas of [college coaches], both when they are right and when they are wrong, are more powerful than is commonly understood. Indeed the world [of basketball] is ruled by little else. [NBA owners, all] practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of the [ideas of some old-time coach]. Madmen ... [like Erik Spoelstra], who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from [Coach K's ideas] of a few years back...."

Actual quote easily found on Wikiquotes is about "economists and political philosphers" and "long-dead academic scribblers."

sagegrouse
'Yes, I promise. Next week I WILL get a life!'

Billy Dat
10-23-2012, 10:18 AM
The credit given to Shane for Miami's success, and his role in Lebron's evolution, is extremely satisfying for this Duke fan. At this point, if you combine the starting role on Miami's title team and the Michael Lewis "No Stats All Star" NY Times Mag piece, it's safe to say that Shane has gotten his due in terms of appreciation for what he brings to the court as a pro. I am very happy for him and hope he can get another title with this team before he throws the sneakers over the old utility wire.

Lord Ash
10-23-2012, 11:32 AM
You're my boy, Shane!

(BTW, I assume the breakfast with Lebron thing was a joke?)

Researchc
10-23-2012, 12:37 PM
(BTW, I assume the breakfast with Lebron thing was a joke?)

The Heat are in town to play the Bobcats at PNC, so it is a possibility.

Atlanta Duke
10-23-2012, 06:55 PM

Along with K

LeBron James looks to Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski for counsel

“We have a great relationship,” James said. “We’ve been together since ’05, and our relationship has grown every year. I’ve grown from a young man into a man into a leader of that team. He’s helped me develop that. I give a lot of credit to him.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/10/23/3062288/lebron-james-looks-to-duke-coach.html

hq2
10-23-2012, 09:32 PM
The credit given to Shane for Miami's success, and his role in Lebron's evolution, is extremely satisfying for this Duke fan. At this point, if you combine the starting role on Miami's title team and the Michael Lewis "No Stats All Star" NY Times Mag piece, it's safe to say that Shane has gotten his due in terms of appreciation for what he brings to the court as a pro. I am very happy for him and hope he can get another title with this team before he throws the sneakers over the old utility wire.

Shane's overall play in the finals last year clearly made a difference; he may have been the difference between the Heat winning and losing the title. Glad to see him finally get a (pro) ring for his efforts. When he hangs up his sneakers, wonder how long before he's an elected official.