PDA

View Full Version : UNC and Veterans

sbpollo
10-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Way to go UNC!
http://gma.yahoo.com/unc-denies-veteran-state-residency-204938076--abc-news-topstories.html

Edouble
10-19-2012, 06:12 PM
If the last place she paid income tax was Iowa, I can see the issue. If you are on a military base, are you not considered to be a resident of that state, because you don't pay taxes? Do military personnel on a base during wartime pay taxes? I have heard a lot about Romney and his including servicepersons in his 47% figure, which was the first time that I was aware that there are situations where military folks don't pay taxes.

Indoor66
10-19-2012, 07:11 PM
When I was in the military (about a century ago :eek:) I had to delare a residence of record. That residence established my obligations for payment of taxes, etc. If the young lady declared Texas or Tennessee or Florida as her record residence, thus avoiding state income taxes, I can understand the refusal to grant in state status. If her residence of record was in North Carolina, then, IMO, she would be entitled to in state tuition as she would have been paying all NC taxes required of any other citizen.