PDA

View Full Version : Countdown To Craziness

JNort
10-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Who is going? What is the best time to arrive?

Native
10-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Who is going? What is the best time to arrive?

I'll be down in front with the LM jacket on! Doors for students open at 6:30, so if you want to take in some K-Ville goodness I'd get there before or around then. I don't know what time doors open for upper deck, but I'll make an educated guess at 7PM.

Going to be a great time!

MulletMan
10-19-2012, 11:29 AM
I'll be down in front with the LM jacket on! Doors for students open at 6:30, so if you want to take in some K-Ville goodness I'd get there before or around then. I don't know what time doors open for upper deck, but I'll make an educated guess at 7PM.

Going to be a great time!

Stay in school. 6:30. :p

wtm001
10-19-2012, 03:15 PM

Doors at 6:30? What time does it start? 7?

jimrowe0
10-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Starts at 8. I will be there, but I can't remember which seats I have.

Native
10-19-2012, 04:52 PM

Were it not for financial considerations I'd make those Nike "Never Graduate" ads a reality. :D

ChillinDuke
10-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Starts at 8. I will be there, but I can't remember which seats I have.

Does anyone know an approximate schedule for tonight?

What time is the scrimmage supposed to start? Dunk competition?

Thanks in advance.

- Chillin

Olympic Fan
10-19-2012, 05:37 PM
If I remember correctly, this will be the public's one chance to see Rodney Hood in action before next year.

Pretty sure that the rule is that transfers can play in scrimmages, but not in the exhibition games. I'm sure that was the case with Seth in 2009-10 ... not sure if they've changed the rule.

The full schedule is at goduke:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205714919&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Player introductions at 8 p.m., but they have plent of other stuff starting at 6:45 (no dunk contest listed). The actual scrimmage starts at 8:30.

dukedoc
10-19-2012, 05:49 PM
If I remember correctly, this will be the public's one chance to see Rodney Hood in action before next year.

Pretty sure that the rule is that transfers can play in scrimmages, but not in the exhibition games. I'm sure that was the case with Seth in 2009-10 ... not sure if they've changed the rule.

The full schedule is at goduke:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205714919&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Player introductions at 8 p.m., but they have plent of other stuff starting at 6:45 (no dunk contest listed). The actual scrimmage starts at 8:30.

Although I am primarily interested in seeing who has improved their entry dance moves the most, seeing Rodney play is also up there. I seem to remembering seeing a comment from him somewhere (likely the twitterverse) indicating that this was his one chance to play in a game this year, so he should be a go.

CLW
10-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Just signed up and logged in on goduke.com and the live feed keeps pausing and playing in like 1/2 second intervals. Any suggestions?

gwlaw99
10-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Try selecting a lower bandwidth instead of auto

mgtr
10-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Hard to assess players in a blue-white scrimmage, but they have had a week of practice. Mason and Ryan seemed about the same, but Mason made his free throws. Cook and Hairston looked better than last year, but Hairston may be trying too hard. Cook looked smooth. Hood and Sulaimon looked very good. Hopefully, our guys will improve playing against Hood in practice. Glad that we don't play Kentucky this weekend! Getting Seth back (when?) will help on offense, but Sulaimon will definitely get his minutes. I expected more aggressive play from Murphy, but maybe I just want too much for him to be Singler reincarnate! Jefferson had a few moments, but overall seemed a little lost (unlike me, who would be a lot lost!)
OK, guys, lets see a weeks worth of improvement next time.

FireOgilvie
10-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Anyone else notice Todd Zafirovski's name was spelled wrong on his jersey ("Zafirowski")?

We're deep this year.

Edit: Alex Murphy is a Singler clone, particularly with the long hair. It's crazy.

UrinalCake
10-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Although I am primarily interested in seeing who has improved their entry dance moves the most...

The entry dance award will go to Quinn, hands down.

Newton_14
10-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Just got back from the game. Very fun evening. Coach K gave a great speech in the end, and mixed in a really inspiring video. The theme was "Imagine" and he spoke about playing, and winning, on a Monday Night in April. The man definitely believes this team can win the National Title. Should be a fun year.

Agree that it is hard to evaluate a blue white scrimmage, especially with Seth and MP3 sitting out. I thought Mason looked really good, as did Ryan. Mason received a belt for winning the Iron Duke award for best all around in off season strength and conditioning performance. Thought that was really cool. He is definitely in the best shape of his life. Murphy is very solidly built now as well, and it showed on the interior. He crashed the boards hard and rebounded really well. Was also great on interior defense. He blocked at least 3 of Amile's shots inside. I thought Quinn had a very poor first half trying to be too cute on numerous occasions instead of just making simple passes, but he bounced back with a good performance in the 2nd half/game playing for the blue team and leading them to the win.

Rasheed played well, and looked good shooting the 3, driving to the hoop, and defending. Tyler was solid, strong with the ball, and played within himself. Defended the ball well on point also.

Of all of the returners, I thought Josh looked the most improved. He is well ahead of Amile as of right now. His shot looked good, and he has gained some of his athletic ability back with a better body in my opinion. Tried a little too hard on a couple of occasions, but overall, I liked what I saw from him.

Amile just needs weight and strength, and time. In fairness he had to play out on the wing a lot on offense, due to the injury with Seth, and I thought he defended well out there. Just does not have wing skills on offense. I want to see how he performs at the 4 spot when the real games begin.

Too bad Hood cannot play this season. He is very smooth out there, and uses his length well. A really good finisher.

Marshall is just a nut. The dude was break dancing on one freakin foot and crutches during player intro's. That was hilarious.

Finally, the team poster is great. The theme is "Fight", and the guys are in a boxing ring. I loved it.

Mad props to daughter K on planning a great evening.

Let the games begin. Go Duke!!!

Newton_14
10-19-2012, 11:03 PM
The entry dance award will go to Quinn, hands down.

Quinn was good, but I would have to go with Marshall. Anyone who can break dance on one leg with crutches gets my vote! :D

Native
10-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Gotta say Alex Murphy is going to kill it for us this year, IMO. Guy was all over the place - rebounding, blocking shots, etc. Huge presence on the defensive end.

Liked Mason and Quinn's performance. Those two are the two most important players for us this year with Kelly as the X-Factor. If Mason and Quinn can get Oop City going like Kyrie did in his few games this team has the potential to be really great.

Like that Josh can hit that midrange jumper with a little more consistency this year. That will come in handy.

Sheed will be a fantastic player for us down the road. Shades of Nolan - no doubt in my mind. Amile also looked very active and upbeat - just needs some time in the weight room.

Tyler was Tyler. Solid on defense.

Recruits were all there. Didn't look very engaged during CTC, but who ever is? Got to them early in K-Ville with some good stuff - lots of students took photos, most everyone knew who they were, snuck a big banner in with their names on it, etc.

Let's do this Together. Go Duke!

Kedsy
10-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Gotta say Alex Murphy is going to kill it for us this year, IMO. Guy was all over the place - rebounding, blocking shots, etc. Huge presence on the defensive end.

Liked Mason and Quinn's performance. Those two are the two most important players for us this year with Kelly as the X-Factor. If Mason and Quinn can get Oop City going like Kyrie did in his few games this team has the potential to be really great.

Like that Josh can hit that midrange jumper with a little more consistency this year. That will come in handy.

Sheed will be a fantastic player for us down the road. Shades of Nolan - no doubt in my mind. Amile also looked very active and upbeat - just needs some time in the weight room.

Tyler was Tyler. Solid on defense.

Recruits were all there. Didn't look very engaged during CTC, but who ever is? Got to them early in K-Ville with some good stuff - lots of students took photos, most everyone knew who they were, snuck a big banner in with their names on it, etc.

Let's do this Together. Go Duke!

Did the students chant Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor's names? I know both kids said publicly they were looking forward to hearing their names chanted by the crazies.

Lord Ash
10-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Heard there was only one recruit chant. Not sure why on earth the fans wouldn't pick it up.

JNort
10-20-2012, 12:35 AM
and just got home. My thoughts on the Blue-White game seem to fall in line with some who have already posted except for a few nitpicks.

Seth- DNP
Marshall- DNP

Starters:
Quinn- I thought he looked by far the best as far as running point. He was always trying to turn missed shots into fast-break points. Every time I saw a fast-break Quinn was on it. He made great decisions overall and threw some nice passes.

Rasheed- Struggled on offense the first game but played stellar D. Second game he found his shot and hit a couple 3's and a fast-break slam. Overall about what I expected.

Alex- Was all over the place! He blocked 4 shots (3 off Amile) and was going for every board (offense and defense). Played great D and provides good size but seemed to struggle last night when it came to scoring, he was ok but nothing to brag about.

Ryan- Really was feeling the mid-range turn around fade, it looked very sexy. His 3 seemed to be very off (2 or 3 airballs) although he did hit at least one of em.

Mason- Looks to be a stud!!! Not sure if anyone else noticed but every time he got the ball the other team would double him and he still scored and rebounded well. He blocked a couple shots and went 2-3 from the line I think. He also got out and ran with Cook well on fast-breaks.

Second Team:
Tyler- Seemed to try and slow things down and play in the half-court as much as possible. He through a lot of bad passes and had too many turnovers. Not one of his best performances.

Rodney- WOW!! Was not expecting what I saw from this kid! He was so fluid with the ball and scored inside the arc at will it seemed. I know I was not the only one to think this either. I heard people around me more than once talking about how stellar he played. Only knock is he is very quiet and reserved. Even during the opening song/dance intros he did not seem to relish the limelight. Maybe he will adjust after more time at Duke.

Amile- Played SF in this line-up mostly against Alex and did really well on D but I didn't even know if he played on offense. He seemed as someone said earlier "lost" on that side of the ball but all that comes with time. Would love to see him at PF some though.

Todd- Played really well and even scored. He got a nice bit a rebounding done too!

Josh- Didn't think he would miss the mid-range shot any the way it kept falling early on. He looked good a few times in the paint as well but he tries a little to hard sometimes and forces it. He looked much more athletic compared to last 2 years.

Other:
- Both teams with Cook flowed better on offense and ran A LOT!!
- Mason's free throws had better rotation but still are flat with little arc
- I don't feel like we got as good a quality of depth this year on the bench out side of Rasheed. That could be because Marshall is out with the injury, Rodney can't play yet, Amile will have to wait a year to make an impact, Josh and Tyler both are more of the energy hustle guys who maybe called upon if the time is right.

Again these are all just my opinions after a simple Blue-White game and may not be valid a few weeks from now :cool:

Greg_Newton
10-20-2012, 01:07 AM
Murphy is just a player. He is really, really impressive physically; similar size to Singler, but a different (and superior) kind of athlete. He's going to be a terrific all-around presence at SF, and should really help shore up our help defense and rebounding. He's got a good sort of cockiness to him.

As long as he can keep his shooting consistent enough that it's not a liability, I think some people are going to be very pleasantly surprised by him.

wtm001
10-20-2012, 03:27 AM
Does anybody know why the sign under the press table said "5:23" and counted down from 9 to 0. It was stuck on 5:23.

CLW
10-20-2012, 09:31 AM
I came away REALLY impressed by Sheed and Hood. BOTH looked much better than I anticipated. Hopefully, Curry's injury isn't going to nag him all season because this team doesn't have allot of 3pt shooters (Kelly and Sheed).

dukebballcamper90-91
10-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Coack K's speech and video was epic.

jimsumner
10-20-2012, 10:50 AM
I thought it was telling how much more effective Mason was in the first half with Cook at the point then he was at the second half with Thornton at the point. Anyone who had any questions about K annointing Cook as the starting PG, had those questions answered definitively.

Jefferson told me after the game that he was a bit nervous early and it showed. He was effective once he settled down. He's not a highlight-reel kind of player. He's the kind of player casual fans don't notice a lot until they look at the stat sheet after the game and go "he scored that many points? I had no idea."

I loved the play where Kelly got the ball about 30 feet from the basket and took it hard to the hoop, scored and drew the foul. The most confident move off the bounce I've ever seen from him. I sense that he may be primed for a big year.

Mason's face-up jumper is still a work in progress. But his efficiency on offense has improved. Some quick, decisive moves. I loved that jump hook early in the game.

I thought Hood might have been the best player on the floor. Got to the basket with ease and just elevated over everyone. And that was with Sulaimon guarding him. Can he hit the open J when opposing defenses concentrate on closing down the driving lanes? We'll have to wait a year to find out. But he's a major talent.

Getting Curry back is important. I'm getting the feeling that this might be a chronic but manageable season-long condition. But Cook as a pure point and Murphy as a pure 3 are significant upgrades from what Duke had last season, when guys were playing out of position in line-ups that all too often appeared jury-rigged.

Chemistry looks great. But it was a scrimmage. How will it be when they face some adversity? K says he told the seniors it's their team. Duke will need better leadership than it had last season. The seniors need to own the narrative.

I thought the K fist-bump speech/demonstration at the end of the evening vividly demonstrated the man's gifts. Recall last season and all the angst about the Crazies, the empty seats in the student section, the relative lack of enthusiasm and creativity, the taking-it-all-for-granted vibe both upstairs and downstairs [and sometimes on the court].

K didn't directly address that last night. He didn't take anyone to task, didn't try to make the students feel bad or guilty. Instead, he upped the ante. He essentially tried to create a new tradition, one which will involve the fan base as an active participant in what previously had been an intimate team ritual.

If it falls on its face, it falls on its face. But if it works, it will be way cool and the copy cats will be out in force. But it will still be Duke's.

As an aside, I noted that all of the recruits seated directly behind the bench participated in the fist response, with apparent enthusiasm. Not sure how much should be read into this but there was some significant future firepower taking in and absorbing the best that Cameron can offer.

Olympic Fan
10-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Let me second most of Jim's comments.

I thought the most important thing I saw long-term for the program was how good Rodney Hood was -- a real 6-8 guard (I mean real in the sense that he's got a guard's handle), slender quick and almost impossible to stop slashing into the lane. He's 6-8 and he elevates ... and seems to have wonderful touch on the short-range shot or that gunkly left-handed finger roll.

I thought the most important thing for the short-term is how good Quinn Cook looked. Not the same player as we saw last year. Quick, strong and confident with the ball. Yeah, he had some silly turnovers with the ball early in the scrimmage when he was trying to make some highlight plays, but make no mistake,. he dominated play. Appareared to play very good on-the-ball defense (although it was against Tyler, who isn't the greatest threat to drive past you) and pushed the ball beautifully. As Jim noted, he got the ball to Mason consistently -- when he switched to the other team, Mason struggled to get the ball in scoring position. I think it's very significant that Quinn's teams won each half of the scrimmage (at halftime they switched he and Kelly to the Blues and brought Tyler and Josh to the Whites).

Kelly and Mason looked like seniors -- strong and aggressive. I've never seek Kelly seek his shot with such authority ... several times he posted Josh and took a little 10-footer in his face. I think we'll see that a lot when he's guarded by smaller players this season.

Murphy was everything I expected. Although he looks like Kyle, he's faster and quicker off his feet. Now, don't get too excited -- right now he's not nearly the offensive force that Kyle was from day one. But on the boards, defensively he is as good or better (that the freshman Singler). I think when we are able to run, Alex will be a big factor -- he really gets up and down the floor.

I think depth will be fine, especially when Seth and Marshall come back. Beyond the starting five (at the moment Quinn, Rasheed, Alexm Ryan and Mason), I feel comfortable with Tyler and Josg getting backup minutes. Add Seth and it probably means we bring Rasheed off the bench -- that will be nice to have some firepower in reserve. I thought Marshall would play a minor role until hearing K talk about him being in the top six. It sounds like he's going to be in the rotation too, That leaves Amile to fight his way in -- whether as a backup to Alex (we could go three quards at ftimes at that position) or another post reserve, I don't know.

Of course, it's always dangerous to read too much into one game -- much less a scrimmage. We'll know more when we see them again next Saturday.

ChillinDuke
10-20-2012, 11:35 AM
GoDuke.com doesn't have an archive of the event?

I wasn't near a computer last night, but I purchased the monthly membership figuring they'd archive it.

I guess not? Anyone have any idea?

- Chillin

dukedoc
10-20-2012, 11:53 AM
GoDuke.com doesn't have an archive of the event?

I wasn't near a computer last night, but I purchased the monthly membership figuring they'd archive it.

I guess not? Anyone have any idea?

- Chillin

Airowe tweeted last night that the replay would be posted overnight. I don't have access, so can't speak to where it is on the site.

For those without access, there are links to a highlight reel of the scrimmage and K's entire speech on the Goduke.com home page.

Billy Dat
10-20-2012, 04:07 PM
I thought the K fist-bump speech/demonstration at the end of the evening vividly demonstrated the man's gifts. Recall last season and all the angst about the Crazies, the empty seats in the student section, the relative lack of enthusiasm and creativity, the taking-it-all-for-granted vibe both upstairs and downstairs [and sometimes on the court].

K didn't directly address that last night. He didn't take anyone to task, didn't try to make the students feel bad or guilty. Instead, he upped the ante. He essentially tried to create a new tradition, one which will involve the fan base as an active participant in what previously had been an intimate team ritual.

If it falls on its face, it falls on its face. But if it works, it will be way cool and the copy cats will be out in force. But it will still be Duke's.

As an aside, I noted that all of the recruits seated directly behind the bench participated in the fist response, with apparent enthusiasm. Not sure how much should be read into this but there was some significant future firepower taking in and absorbing the best that Cameron can offer.

Can Jim or someone provide detail on what exactly this (this new tradition/fan interaction) refers to and how it is supposed to work? I am very intrigued, as I am sure others are.

CLW
10-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Can Jim or someone provide detail on what exactly this (this new tradition/fan interaction) refers to and how it is supposed to work? I am very intrigued, as I am sure others are.

At the end during K's speech last night he encouraged everyone to raise a fist when the team huddles up before going on to the court and on the count of 3 scream "Together!"

EDIT: From what I recall, The speech came after this video:

http://youtu.be/j_X0Y17ln24?hd=1

mapei
10-20-2012, 11:30 PM
That was fun to watch - horrible video quality for much of it (copyright issues kept them from using the best versions?), but there are many big-time moments in there.

dukebballcamper90-91
10-20-2012, 11:43 PM
I hope we have to edit the video with some stuff from this year.

ChillinDuke
10-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Airowe tweeted last night that the replay would be posted overnight. I don't have access, so can't speak to where it is on the site.

For those without access, there are links to a highlight reel of the scrimmage and K's entire speech on the Goduke.com home page.

Nothing ever got posted on GoDuke. Not to belabor this, but if anyone knows a place to see some Blue-White footage I would be forever indebted.

- Chillin "Fiending" Duke

hustleplays
10-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Just got back from the game. Very fun evening. Coach K gave a great speech in the end, and mixed in a really inspiring video. The theme was "Imagine" and he spoke about playing, and winning, on a Monday Night in April. The man definitely believes this team can win the National Title. Should be a fun year.

This! We all know that Coach and his staff set and communicate team expectations very carefully. Some years they don't mention Monday Nights in April. Friday night he did. Encouraging.

jimsumner
10-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Nothing ever got posted on GoDuke. Not to belabor this, but if anyone knows a place to see some Blue-White footage I would be forever indebted.

Highlights are here

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&SPID=1845&SPSID=22724

dcar1985
10-21-2012, 03:39 PM

Its definitely up on the GoDuke.com website for premium members...just got finished watching it for like the 3rd time

MCFinARL
10-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Any insiders have insights into how the recruits enjoyed the evening? (Beyond the gratifying observation that they participated in the "together" ritual)

watzone
10-24-2012, 05:44 PM
http://blip.tv/ballislife/2012-duke-countdown-to-craziness-preseason-top-10-team-introduced-to-cameron-crazies-6411470

Our CTC Video from BDN and Ball is Life.

COYS
10-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Perhaps I'm exposing just how silly I can be, sometimes, but I can't find any of the Countdown videos in the BDN premium section. Where did you guys watch the replay? Thanks!

Edit: I mean to say I can't find a replay of the Blue/White scrimmage in the BDN premium section.

ChillinDuke
10-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Perhaps I'm exposing just how silly I can be, sometimes, but I can't find any of the Countdown videos in the BDN premium section. Where did you guys watch the replay? Thanks!

Edit: I mean to say I can't find a replay of the Blue/White scrimmage in the BDN premium section.

I don't believe there is an actual replay of the entire game.

I think when posters say that you can watch, they are referring to the Highlights as Jim posted above.

There are a few interviews and player intros as well as the highlights.

Let me know if you actually find a full game replay of the scrimmage.

- Chillin

COYS
10-31-2012, 11:10 AM
I don't believe there is an actual replay of the entire game.

I think when posters say that you can watch, they are referring to the Highlights as Jim posted above.

There are a few interviews and player intros as well as the highlights.

Let me know if you actually find a full game replay of the scrimmage.

- Chillin

I certainly will let you know if I find something. That's too bad, as watching a replay of that game was 1/3 of my motivation for getting premium access. Oh well, it's still worth it for all the other material plus the other two exhibitions.

wk2109
10-31-2012, 12:35 PM
I certainly will let you know if I find something. That's too bad, as watching a replay of that game was 1/3 of my motivation for getting premium access. Oh well, it's still worth it for all the other material plus the other two exhibitions.

Found it:

1. Click "Launch Player" above the video screen at goduke.com (a new window should pop out)
2. Search for "countdown" in the box in the upper-right corner of the new window
3. The full broadcast should be the 2nd result of your search

ChillinDuke
10-31-2012, 01:20 PM
Found it:

1. Click "Launch Player" above the video screen at goduke.com (a new window should pop out)
2. Search for "countdown" in the box in the upper-right corner of the new window
3. The full broadcast should be the 2nd result of your search

Can I give you all of my pitchforks???

- Chillin :D

Bluedog
10-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Here's a 48 minute video taken of the event by somebody in the stands:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AnYPs8ekcA