PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 33, UNC-Chapel Hill 30; Duke bowl eligible

CameronBornAndBred
10-17-2012, 06:04 PM
I know the Status Check is up, as it should be, but I don't see an actual game thread yet. And we are only 3 days away. I've personally been avoiding anything and all football after the major letdown that made up the last 3 quarters of the Turkey game, but I've come to grips with it. In fact, I've come to embrace it. Our guys went in to Blacksburg on a high, came out insanely well, and then got kicked into next week. Guess what? It's next week..and I'm thinking we might just be a bit pissed off. That's a good attitude to have. Just like when our next opponent loses big I think "uh-oh"..I would be thinking the same about Duke if I was a Tarheel.
UNC is suffering the lack of bowl eligibilty, but nothing else. They are a fast team, playing very well. We are at home, but Wallace Wade has never offered much of a "home advantage", especially not when we play the heels. I'm hoping to see TONS of Duke Blue this Saturday, and for our fans to make plenty of noise..at least enough to drown out the gawd aful "tar - - - heel" chant.
I'm excited to see how our defense has prepared. UNC can put tons of numbers on the ground, but will they go airborne more for this game? VT had plenty of success up high last week. How will our QB situation shake out? Renfree all day, or a mix of him and Boone with a side of Connette?
Tons of questions to be answered. I only know the answer to one of them...the pre-game festivities will be a blast. And tasty.

Bob Green
10-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Guess what? It's next week..and I'm thinking we might just be a bit pissed off. That's a good attitude to have.

I look forward to being in Wallace Wade Stadium watching Duke take the field with an attitude and maintaining that attitude for 60 minutes!

PDDuke85
10-17-2012, 08:08 PM
I look forward to being in Wallace Wade Stadium watching Duke take the field with an attitude and maintaining that attitude for 60 minutes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlqLCqt0Q14

Knock those cheatin' SOB's into next year

-bdbd
10-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Apparently the two teams are expecting a fast-paced tempo on Sat. It'll be interesting to see what the Duke D does to try and slow down Bernard. After some close misses in recent years at regaining the Victory Bell, I think that we're about due. I'm looking for a hard-fought close one in Wallace Wade Sat. afternoon. I hope that we can pull it out.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/10/16/3601440/dukes-anunike-we-have-answers.html

http://keepingitheel.com/2012/10/18/unc-football-which-duke-team-will-show-up-on-saturday/

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205035951

Cheaters never prosper.

killerleft
10-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Apparently the two teams are expecting a fast-paced tempo on Sat. It'll be interesting to see what the Duke D does to try and slow down Bernard. After some close misses in recent years at regaining the Victory Bell, I think that we're about due. I'm looking for a hard-fought close one in Wallace Wade Sat. afternoon. I hope that we can pull it out.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/10/16/3601440/dukes-anunike-we-have-answers.html

http://keepingitheel.com/2012/10/18/unc-football-which-duke-team-will-show-up-on-saturday/

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205035951

Cheaters never prosper.

The goduke link sends me to the article for last year's game.

-bdbd
10-18-2012, 02:53 PM
The goduke link sends me to the article for last year's game.

Ooops. Thanks, and sorry...
Here you go:

Audio brief preview with Cut:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200&id=1070849&ATCLID=205714657&ATCLPID=&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200

GoDuke article preview as well:
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205713684&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Sure hope that the move from late-Nov. to mid-Oct. helps with student/fan attendance.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-18-2012, 03:21 PM
If you want to take a cowbell to the game day festivities (a very old tradition), I discovered that Tracker Supply has them for about $5. The best choice is white and has a handle. Similar stores in various locations might have suitable cowbells in stock.

Reilly
10-18-2012, 05:45 PM
7-10 pm: Ring cow bell.

10 pm onward: Ring Victory Bell.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-18-2012, 06:01 PM
7-10 pm: Ring cow bell.

10 pm onward: Ring Victory Bell.

Everybody bring a bell and ring it! With enough bells ringing, we can drown out the Carolina spelling and antiphonal cheers.

OldPhiKap
10-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Everybody bring a bell and ring it! With enough bells ringing, we can drown out the Carolina spelling and antiphonal cheers.

This. It is our house, we need to make sure foreign chants do not own Wallace Wade.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-18-2012, 08:01 PM
This. It is our house, we need to make sure foreign chants do not own Wallace Wade.

Cowbells are very effective. Ask Mississippi State or Texas!

PDDuke85
10-18-2012, 08:15 PM

Including chants in Swahili?

OldPhiKap
10-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Including chants in Swahili?

Nyumba yetu!

PDDuke85
10-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Nyumba yetu!

Touche'

Kimist
10-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Not meaning to rain on anyone's parade, but it would not surprise me in the least that any cowbells would be considered contraband and summarily banned from Wally Wade, just as a mere bottle of water already is..........

Prohibited Items

For the safety and game day experience of all fans, the following items are prohibited from entering the stadium:

Alcoholic beverages :rolleyes:
Artificial noisemakers
Backpacks (and large bags)
Balloons
Balls and Frisbees
Coolers and Containers (ice chests, thermoses, cups, bottles, or other like containers)
Items obstructing sightlines of other fans (umbrellas may not be raised in the seating bowl)
Pets (except service animals)
Outside chairs (lounge chairs, folding chairs, etc.)
Outside food and beverage (exception: medical reasons)
Shoes with wheels (wheelies)
Laser Pointers
Video Cameras
Cameras w/lens over 4 inches
Hazardous Materials
Weapons

OldPhiKap
10-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Not meaning to rain on anyone's parade, but it would not surprise me in the least that any cowbells would be considered contraband and summarily banned from Wally Wade, just as a mere bottle of water already is..........

Prohibited Items

For the safety and game day experience of all fans, the following items are prohibited from entering the stadium:

Alcoholic beverages :rolleyes:
Artificial noisemakers
Backpacks (and large bags)
Balloons
Balls and Frisbees
Coolers and Containers (ice chests, thermoses, cups, bottles, or other like containers)
Items obstructing sightlines of other fans (umbrellas may not be raised in the seating bowl)
Pets (except service animals)
Outside chairs (lounge chairs, folding chairs, etc.)
Outside food and beverage (exception: medical reasons)
Shoes with wheels (wheelies)
Laser Pointers
Video Cameras
Cameras w/lens over 4 inches
Hazardous Materials
Weapons

A cowbell is not an artificial noisemaker. It is an agricultural mechanism. Organic, If you will. Tell them that it applies to air horns.

If they try to take your five dollar cowbell, tell them that they can try to pry it from your cold, dead hand. And then tell them to lighten up, you're trying to support the home team for Pete's sake.

If all else fails, slip them a twenty and send me the bill. GO TO HELL CAROLINA!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-18-2012, 10:36 PM
A cowbell is not an artificial noisemaker. It is an agricultural mechanism. Organic, If you will. Tell them that it applies to air horns.

If they try to take your five dollar cowbell, tell them that they can try to pry it from your cold, dead hand. And then tell them to lighten up, you're trying to support the home team for Pete's sake.

If all else fails, slip them a twenty and send me the bill. GO TO HELL CAROLINA!

Can't we have cowbells in the band?

Reilly
10-18-2012, 10:37 PM
... If they try to take your five dollar cowbell, tell them that they can try to pry it from your cold, dead hand...

Noisemakers don't make noise, people do.

-bdbd
10-19-2012, 12:20 AM

And now a word from the NRA...

OldPhiKap
10-19-2012, 08:57 AM

Tried to spork you but must spread the love first. Great laugh to start the day.

Let's go Duke!

CameronBornAndBred
10-19-2012, 09:32 AM
IF anyone gives you gotoHellcarolina about your cowbell, bring it back to our tent on Blue Devil's Alley and we will hold on to it for you. I'm tempted to say they won't hassle you..but I've had my fair share of times questioning the gate keepers common sense. Once was when I attempted to sit in general admission with DevilDeac and was told I couldn't since my ticket was for somewhere else. (Even though the ga seats were deserted). The other was the first game this year; I left at halftime and was not stamped. Nobody offered to stamp me, I even thought "maybe they aren't doing that anymore". When I came back, they denied me entry, even though I had my ticket and the stadium was once again empty. They insisted they stamped everybody. It took me going to the extremes of finding an athletic department official to let me in.

So anyways...bring you cowbell without worry, at the very worst you will have to walk 2 minutes back to our tent and leave it safely outside the stadium.

Reilly
10-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Duke moves to 6-2, 3-1 in the conference.

Conner Vernon sets the Duke receiving yards record.

Duke breaks an 8-game losing streak to UNC.

Cut gets his first victory over UNC.

Would be a great capstone for seniors Renfree, Vernon, Scott, Anunike, Butler ....

nyesq83
10-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Duke Blue, Black, White, What?

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-19-2012, 11:18 AM

Here's what Coach Cutcliffe posted on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DavidCutcliffe/status/259035066120957953/photo/1?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=DavidCutcliffe&utm_content=259035066120957953

Fans will be wearing lots of Duke blue!;)

Native
10-19-2012, 11:24 AM

Blue. ;)

nyesq83
10-19-2012, 04:00 PM

LOL I am impressed and thankful, I only meant what should fans wear tomorrow other than Baby ick Blue.
:p

-bdbd
10-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Interesting game preview write-up from Scout. They seem to be expecting a close match-up, and say this is as good has Duke has been in this rival=ry matchup in many years. They point out UNC's problems in the secondary, a weakness that Duke seems suited to exploit. $100K question: Can Dulke protect Renfree against NC's big D-linemen?

Their final prediction: Kerlina by 5, 33-28. But the sense is that this is, for once, one that Duke can easily win as well. :rolleyes:

http://duke.scout.com/2/1231535.html

DukeSean
10-19-2012, 04:15 PM
$100K question: Can Dulke protect Renfree against NC's big D-linemen?

BUBBLE SCREENS!

(too soon?)

75Crazie
10-19-2012, 04:27 PM
$100K question: Can Dulke protect Renfree against NC's big D-linemen?
That, and the associated question: Can Duke's D-line stand its ground and keep Bernard from ripping off huge chunks of yardage? If both lines can somehow hold their own in this game, I like Duke's chances. If either or both lines get dominated, as they have at times this year, it will be a long, long game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-19-2012, 04:35 PM
LOL I am impressed and thankful, I only meant what should fans wear tomorrow other than Baby ick Blue.
:p

Coach will appreciate a Blue Out... and so will the team. Duke Blue... Royal Blue.... any of those will do!

devildeac
10-19-2012, 05:52 PM
That, and the associated question: Can Duke's D-line stand its ground and keep Bernard from ripping off huge chunks of yardage? If both lines can somehow hold their own in this game, I like Duke's chances. If either or both lines get dominated, as they have at times this year, it will be a long, long game.

After VT ripped through our DL last Saturday, I have some doubts we'll be able to contain Bernard. Sean is really gonna need better protection than he had last week, too, or it will indeed be a loooong afternoon on both sides of the ball.

Bluedog
10-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Anybody else see the All-Access about Duke football on ESPNU? Maybe I'm late to the game and it's old, but they were talking about preparing for Va Tech, so I don't think so. It was pretty well done piece but nothing earth shattering. Certainly, displays Duke's nice new practice facility and had some good interviews with Coach Cutcliffe.

-bdbd
10-19-2012, 11:44 PM
From the ACC Sports Journal:
http://www.accsports.com/blogs/jim-young/2012101913721/acc-weekend-preview-oct-19.php

....David Cutcliffe shouldn’t have any trouble getting the Blue Devils to focus on the Tar Heels. If UNC is once again struggling to put up more points than penalties (it was 18-15 in favor of points at Miami) then Duke will spring the upset. But I think the Tar Heels minimize the mistakes and give Duke too much Gio Bernard to handle.

Prediction: UNC 31, Duke 27

Come'on Duke - clog up the middle, lots of men in the box and stop Bernard. Make them throw to beat us. Can't wait to see Renfree go bananas on their secondary!

6th Man
10-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Stopped by Wally Wade and looked at the field after the basketball festivities. Looks like we are wearing the black helmets tomorrow with a blue D...at least that is how it was painted in the end zone. I've noticed they paint the helmets to match what we are wearing for the day. If the D is blue, that is a slight twist from the black with a black iron D. Pumped for the game...would be a perfect way to become bowl eligible.

Reilly
10-20-2012, 09:05 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/10/18/2421656/tudor-there-havent-been-many-in.html

DukeSean
10-20-2012, 06:34 PM
courtesy of Duke students:

http://instagram.com/p/RBTCktuNBm/

Gthoma2a
10-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Good start!

BlueDevilBrowns
10-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Good start!

That penalty on 4th and short hurt but nice to get the field goal on a difficult angle. Let's keep pouring it on! GO DUKE!!!

BlueDevilBrowns
10-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Carolina just pulled one of the dirtiest plays I've seen in quite some time. Stay classy Chapel Hill.

Dukeface88
10-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Carolina just pulled one of the dirtiest plays I've seen in quite some time. Stay classy Chapel Hill.

Yeah, I have no idea how you miss that call. Could have been an ejection.

jlear
10-20-2012, 08:53 PM

Should have been an ejection, he lowered his shoulder before hitting Conner. Looks like something you would see in a prison football movie...take out the star player in between plays unbelievable.

SmartDevil
10-20-2012, 08:55 PM

Cheating is indeed "the Carolina way!" All kinds of cheating.

peloton
10-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Let's go Devils!!!! We're looking good but the only thing we've proven thus far is that we can outplay 'em for a half. Never forget the VT loss! If we continue to play with passion and intensity for the rest of the game and make any necessary adjustments I like our chances. Let's bring it on home, team...there's a lot of time left - it's no time for back slappin' or any other form of celebrating. Take care of business in the 2nd half and let's see what happens. Keep the pedal to the floor, Duke! No mercy!

JasonEvans
10-20-2012, 09:06 PM

The ACC needs to suspend that guy. Carolina was subbing and the Carolina guy blindsided Connor Vernon but the refs did not see it. I mean, it was almost like something The Iron Sheik would do to Hulk Hogan in the good old days of the WWF. He just lowered his shoulder and nailed Vernon from behind.

I am not prone to violence, but if I had a 2x4 in my hands, I would have gone all Hacksaw Duggan on that Carolina player if I had been there.

-Jason "not a wrestling fan... at least not any more" Evans

-bdbd
10-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Duke really good so far. 4 min left in 3rd qtr and Duke up 23-9. Just awesome.

Big surprise is that the running game is carrying us. Hope the D can hang tough. And a sack of UNC on their own 13 as I speak!!

BlueDevilBrowns
10-20-2012, 09:42 PM
uh...Did that just happen? fake punt when you are up 14 and in control... hmmm...

Chicago 1995
10-20-2012, 09:43 PM
That fake is a horrible, horrible call.

If you are going to go for it, just go for it.

And then the jailbreak blitz on 4th down.

Coaches can't do this to the kids. Can't. Awful

House G
10-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Worst call I have ever seen.

BlueDevilBrowns
10-20-2012, 09:50 PM
That fake is a horrible, horrible call.

If you are going to go for it, just go for it.

And then the jailbreak blitz on 4th down.

Coaches can't do this to the kids. Can't. Awful

Worst call I have ever seen.

Yep... It communicates to the players that A) We don't believe we can win the game legit but that we need to "gimmick" our way to victory and B) we have a complete lack of confidence in the Defense.

House G
10-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Yep... It communicates to the players that A) We don't believe we can win the game legit but that we need to "gimmick" our way to victory and B) it shows a complete lack of confidence in the Defense.

--a defense that had not given up a touchdown through 3 quarters!

grossbus
That was horrible. Complete change of momentum.

We need to score this possession.

-bdbd
NC scores 7 with just over 13 min left. That was a bad gamble, poorly executed on the fake punt. Then we gambled and lost on the NC 4th and long on the 40. Come'on Duke. Sure could use 3 points, or more, now. Keep marching!!!

Be aggressive, don't play to avoid losing....

And Martin makes it from 43... That 3 points may be important. Now let's stop em D. D has had a very good game so far. Hang tough!!

JasonEvans
10-20-2012, 10:08 PM
3 point game, under 7 mins left.

Time for a bunch of first downs!! This is our moment!! Now is the time!! Get it done!!!!!

-Jason "I hope they are not as nervous right now as I am!" Evans

-bdbd
10-20-2012, 10:09 PM
ACK! That was a quick momentum swing!

Damn. Is it me or do all of the close calls seem to be going Carolina's way. How do you call Duke for a late hit on the almost-sliding UNC QB, Renner, but noy call the dead ball blindside of Vernon by a NC linebacker???

Carolina within 3. We need a good drive now!

Now punting back from mid-field, and NC fair catch inside the 10. Great punt today. Are we playing scared again???

Un-fricking believable. Turnover in our hands and it turns into a NC touchdown. Arrrrrgh!!!!!!!! Not again.

OK offense, gut-check time....

BlueDevilBrowns
10-20-2012, 10:13 PM
4th quarter play calling has been absolutely pathetic!!! how many times have we run on 1st, run on 2nd, then stuck with having to pass on 3rd and long. Not only that, but the same exact run plays every time! This is not looking good folks.

sporthenry
10-20-2012, 10:13 PM
3 point game, under 7 mins left.

Time for a bunch of first downs!! This is our moment!! Now is the time!! Get it done!!!!!

-Jason "I hope they are not as nervous right now as I am!" Evans

The problem with playing ahead. Play calling got very conservative. Defense is going to have to come up with a big stop at some point.

sagegrouse
10-20-2012, 10:15 PM
$$$$!!!!!****$%$^%#^%#^%$^&%&*%&%

sagegrouse

grossbus
10-20-2012, 10:15 PM
I am going to be sick

Bluedog
10-20-2012, 10:17 PM
At least this way we still have time to drive down the field for a game-winning TD? hey...I'm trying to find any positives...Should have fallen on that fumble. Ridiculous play.

JasonEvans
10-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Inches fro the win... I mean, inches. All he has to do is fall on it, but it slips through his fingers and Bernard takes it into the end zone. That play is like from some cruel alternate universe.

-Jason "Cockerell has been our best defender, the guy who made the big plays, all year... how cruel to do that to him" Evans

JasonEvans
10-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Connor Vernon will never say die!

Chicago 1995
10-20-2012, 10:22 PM
We're a better team.

We're a more competitive football team.

We look like a real football team.

But we aren't necessarily a well coached football team. Too many bad penalties. Too much confusion and bad decision-making.

Cut's done wonders, but we don't have the talent to make the mistakes we do as a team or as coaching staff.

We're driving and might still pull this game out, but between the red zone woes early and handing UNC the momentum with the inexplicably bad fake punt call, we should be way, way ahead.

And we're not.

sporthenry
10-20-2012, 10:29 PM
We're a better team.

We're a more competitive football team.

We look like a real football team.

But we aren't necessarily a well coached football team. Too many bad penalties. Too much confusion and bad decision-making.

Cut's done wonders, but we don't have the talent to make the mistakes we do as a team or as coaching staff.

We're driving and might still pull this game out, but between the red zone woes early and handing UNC the momentum with the inexplicably bad fake punt call, we should be way, way ahead.

And we're not.

I feel like you could describe many of the ACC basketball teams like VT, UVA, NC State, GT on any given year. They upset Duke or UNC and look good but they don't learn to put games away against inferior opponents.

Duke is a good ball club but they have to learn to play up every game and put teams away.

But, a win is a win and Duke is going bowling!!!

Bluedog
YES!!!#$%$#%$#

striker219
Touchdown!!!!!!!!!!!

House G
10-20-2012, 10:30 PM
That's what I'm talking about! GTHC!

Utley
10-20-2012, 10:30 PM
What a catch!

ice-9
10-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Instant classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chicago 1995
10-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Well coached or not, WE'RE GOING BOWLING!!!!!

And that bell is coming home and is going to be a much prettier shade of blue.

Hell of a drive Sean, Connor and the rest. And Jamison, what a catch!

GO TO HELL CAROLINA, GO TO HELL!!!

JasonEvans
10-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Crowder would not be denied!!!!!!

I want to see 19 more replays of that catch!!!

Goal posts are coming down!

-Jason "giddy!!!" Evans

sporthenry
Let them storm the field. They don't get to storm the court. They deserve this.

And it is pretty entertaining to watch them spray painting it Duke blue right after the game.

roquin
Points to unc bench
*no bell*

Points to duke bench
*nobel*

BlueDevilBrowns
10-20-2012, 10:37 PM
So did Austin Rivers catch the game winning pass?

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PumpkinFunk
10-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Single greatest Duke football game that I have ever seen. That may not be a long period of time, but it's been every game for 5 and a half seasons. What an awesome feeling. GO TO HELL, CAROLINA!

grossbus
10-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Wow

Just wow!

moonpie23
10-20-2012, 10:40 PM
go to freakin hell carowhiner......go to hell!!! big boy football OFFICIALLY over at unc...

davekay1971
10-20-2012, 10:40 PM
No words to describe that. YES!

cspan37421
10-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Wow.

Just, Wow.

For a team more often known for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, they really turned that around tonight.

I too would like to see more angles of that final catch. Crowder seems to have been pretty high in the air when he caught it, already getting hit I might add.

Glad I wasn't watching for the fake punt.

More mountains to climb ahead, but this has got to be a confidence booster. Sure, I saw our record vs. the remaining schedule ... but our record vs. UNC wasn't much better, was it?

Gthoma2a
10-20-2012, 10:42 PM
I think we have arrived! Now, let's get another win or two!

kexman
10-20-2012, 10:43 PM
I have a warm and fuzzy feeling for the players and coaches. It has been a long time and I just want to thank them for bringing duke football back. I hope we can build and sustain this new effort!!! Congrats!!!

burnspbesq
10-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Fifty years from now, that will still be known as The Drive.

Dukeface88
10-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Gthcgth gthcgth gthcgth gthcgth gthcgth!

wsb3
10-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Hate to be repetitive but WOW.
I love Cut..Post game interview..asked how much it means and his response..Well especially since I almost lost it with that fake punt decision. :cool:

BlueDevilBrowns
10-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Fifty years from now, that will still be known as The Drive.

I'm on a high right now, please don't bring up "The Drive":eek:

BlueandWhite
10-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Gthcgth gthcgth gthcgth gthcgth gthcgth!

What a drive, what a touchdown pass. Greatest Duke game ever, or at least top 5 all time?
Go to hell, Carolina!

AtlBluRew
10-20-2012, 10:49 PM
I can't wait to see replays of the winning drive. GO DUKE! I'm proud of this team and this program!

hurleyfor3
*ahem* Clemson in 1989

ChillinDuke
Followed on phone.

Don't even know what to say.

Amazing.

Wow. Wow. Wow.

I'm going to bowl game.

- Chillin

dukebballcamper90-91
10-20-2012, 10:52 PM
what a catch by Crowder!!!!!!

-bdbd
10-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Wow.

Just, Wow.

For a team more often known for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, they really turned that around tonight.

I too would like to see more angles of that final catch. Crowder seems to have been pretty high in the air when he caught it, already getting hit I might add.

Glad I wasn't watching for the fake punt.

More mountains to climb ahead, but this has got to be a confidence booster. Sure, I saw our record vs. the remaining schedule ... but our record vs. UNC wasn't much better, was it?

As they say in the Army-Navy rivalry, our record this season? ...was 1-0. (that game is all that matters!) :D

I was so happy for the guys to win it that way - at gut-check time the Offense marches almost 90 yards in the final 3 minutes. Wonderful way to exorcise some demons! Cut gave a great interview on the field right afterward, saying, when asked to put it in perspective, that this is the sort of win you hope to build on for the future. Lot's of hard work up to now...finally paying off! Great win gang!

Eager to hear from Ozzie and crew about how the environment was at the game. I heard that obnoxious "GO -- HEELZ" slow cheer come through a few times. The stadium looked packed. Did we outnumber the sheep fans? How do I get a piece of that goal post?? (The broadcast cut off before any storming of goal posts, etc.) This is one to savor, for sure. Unlike in the past this team handles the gut check in the end. Bodes well for the program going forward. Not going to continue looking for ways to lose. Cut for President!!

See y'all in Charlotte! Or Shreveport? Or El Paso? Or 'frisco?? They all sound good to me!!!

(3-1 conference mark looks pretty good!) I hope we see the momentum carry over the next few weeks for some tough opponents. Maybe we knock off one or two....

:D :D :D

JasonEvans
10-20-2012, 10:55 PM
ESPN post-game said this game was "program changing."

I would argue they are wrong... because it has already changed.

Admit it, when Bernard fell on that insane loose ball and scored the go ahead TD, how many of you really truly thought we would win? I wish I could raise my hand, but I can't. However, over on the dark blue sideline, there were 70+** people who thought we would win... and then they made it happen. Greatest drive in decades for Duke. We refused to let the old demons haunt us.

We are changed. It has already happened. The future so bright!!!!

--Jason " **- I am counting players, coaches, managers and everyone else who have bought into Cut's plan, trusted it, and now reaped its rewards" Evans

blazindw
10-20-2012, 10:57 PM
I literally have tears in my eyes from this one. Happy tears! WE'RE GOING BOWLING!!

ChillinDuke
10-20-2012, 10:57 PM
See y'all in Memphis! Or Shreveport? Or 'frisco??

:D :D :D

Hoping for Nashvegas!!!

- Chillin

moonpie23
10-20-2012, 11:03 PM

Admit it, when Bernard fell on that insane loose ball and scored the go ahead TD, how many of you really truly thought we would win?

i don't know if i thought we'd WIN, but i DID think that we had been pretty good all evening and had a better than the last 15 yrs of duke history to MAYBE win.......

i loved it....i had a tarhole friend rapid texting me when they took the lead..........

-bdbd
10-20-2012, 11:04 PM
From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Coast_Conference#Bowl_games

Order of selection for ACC bowl participants[23] Pick Name Location Opposing Conference Opposing Pick
1* Orange Bowl Miami Gardens, Florida BCS -
2 Chick-fil-A Bowl Atlanta, Georgia SEC 3/4/5
3 Russell Athletic Bowl Orlando, Florida Big East 2
4 Sun Bowl El Paso, Texas Pac-12 4
5 Belk Bowl Charlotte, North Carolina Big East 3
6 Music City Bowl Nashville, Tennessee SEC 7/8
7 Independence Bowl Shreveport, Louisiana SEC 10
8 Military Bowl Washington, D.C. Army 2012, Big 12 2013 -
9** Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl San Francisco, California Pac-12, WAC, Army, or Navy -

Complete Bowl schedule:
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/college-football-bowl-schedule.php

2012-13 College Football Bowl Schedule
Bowl Location Date/Time TV Tickets
Gildan New Mexico
MWC #4 vs. Pac-12 #7 Albuquerque, NM
University Stadium Sat., Dec. 15
1:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Famous Idaho Potato
WAC #1-2 vs. MAC #3 Boise, ID
Bronco Stadium Sat., Dec. 15
4:30 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
San Diego County CU Poinsettia
BYU vs. MWC #2 San Diego, CA
Qualcomm Stadium Thu., Dec. 20
8:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Beef 'O' Brady's
Big East #6 vs. C-USA #4 St. Petersburg, FL
Tropicana Field Fri., Dec. 21
7:30 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
R+L Carriers New Orleans
Sun Belt #1 vs. C-USA #6 New Orleans, LA
Mercedes-Benz Superdome Sat., Dec. 22
12:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
MAACO Bowl Las Vegas
MWC #1 vs. Pac-12 #5 Las Vegas, NV
Sam Boyd Stadium Sat., Dec. 22
3:30 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Sheraton Hawaii
C-USA #2 vs. MWC #5 Honolulu, HI
Aloha Stadium Mon., Dec. 24
8:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Little Caesars Pizza
Big Ten #8 vs. MAC #2 Detroit, MI
Ford Field Wed., Dec. 26
Tickets
Military
Army vs. ACC #8 Washington, DC
RFK Stadium Thu., Dec. 27
3:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Belk
ACC #5 vs. Big East #3 Charlotte, NC
Bank of America Stadium Thu., Dec. 27
6:30 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Bridgepoint Education Holiday
Pac-12 #3 vs. Big 12 #5 San Diego, CA
Qualcomm Stadium Thu., Dec. 27
9:45 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
AdvoCare V100 Independence
ACC #7 vs. SEC Shreveport, LA
Independence Stadium Fri., Dec. 28
2:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Russell Athletic
Big East #2 vs. ACC #3 Orlando, FL
Florida Citrus Bowl Fri., Dec. 28
5:30 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas
Big 12 #6 vs. Big Ten #6 Houston, TX
Reliant Stadium Fri., Dec. 28
9:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Bell Helicopter Armed Forces
C-USA #3 vs. MWC #4-5 Fort Worth, TX
Amon G. Carter Stadium Sat., Dec. 29
11:45 a.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Kraft Fight Hunger
Navy vs. Pac-12 #6 San Francisco, CA
AT&T Park Sat., Dec. 29
3:15 p.m. ET ESPN/2 Buy
Tickets
New Era Pinstripe
Big 12 #7 vs. Big East #4 Bronx, NY
Yankee Stadium Sat., Dec. 29
3:15 p.m. ET ESPN/2 Buy
Tickets
Valero Alamo
Pac-12 #2 vs. Big 12 #3 San Antonio, TX
Alamodome Sat., Dec. 29
6:45 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Buffalo Wild Wings
Big 12 #4 vs. Big Ten #4-5 Tempe, AZ
Sun Devil Stadium Sat., Dec. 29
10:15 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Franklin Amer. Mort. Music City
ACC #6 vs. SEC #7 Nashville, TN
LP Field Mon., Dec. 31
12:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Hyundai Sun
ACC #4 vs. Pac-12 #4 El Paso, TX
Sun Bowl Mon., Dec. 31 2:00 p.m. ET CBS Buy
Tickets
AutoZone Liberty
C-USA #1 vs. Big East #5/SEC #8-9 Memphis, TN
Liberty Bowl Mon., Dec. 31 3:30 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Chick-fil-A
ACC #2 vs. SEC #5 Atlanta, GA
Georgia Dome Mon., Dec. 31
Tickets
Heart of Dallas
Big Ten #7 vs. Big 12 Dallas, TX
Cotton Bowl Tue., Jan. 1
12:00 p.m. ET ESPNU Buy
Tickets
TaxSlayer.com Gator
Big Ten #4-5 vs. SEC #6 Jacksonville, FL
EverBank Field Tue., Jan. 1
12:00 p.m. ET ESPN2 Buy
Tickets
Capital One
Big Ten #2 vs. SEC #2 Orlando, FL
Florida Citrus Bowl Tue., Jan. 1
1:00 p.m. ET TBA Buy
Tickets
Outback
Big Ten #3 vs. SEC #3-4 Tampa, FL
Raymond James Stadium Tue., Jan. 1
1:00 p.m. ET TBA Buy
Tickets
Rose Bowl Game
BCS Big Ten #1 vs. BCS Pac-12 #1 Pasadena, CA
Rose Bowl Tue., Jan. 1
5:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Discover Orange
BCS/ACC #1 vs. BCS At-Large Miami Gardens, FL
Sun Life Stadium Tue., Jan. 1
8:30 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Allstate Sugar
BCS/SEC #1 vs. BCS At-Large New Orleans, LA
Mercedes-Benz Superdome Wed., Jan. 2
Tickets
Tostitos Fiesta
BCS/Big 12 #1 vs. BCS At-Large Glendale, AZ
U. of Phoenix Stadium Thu., Jan. 3
Tickets
AT&T Cotton
Big 12 #2 vs. SEC #3-4 Arlington, TX
Cowboys Stadium Fri., Jan. 4
8:00 p.m. ET FOX Buy
Tickets
BBVA Compass
SEC #8-9 vs. Big East #5/C-USA Birmingham, AL
Legion Field Sat., Jan. 5
1:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
GoDaddy.com
MAC #1 vs. Sun Belt #2 Mobile, AL
Ladd-Peebles Stadium Sun., Jan. 6
9:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
BCS National Championship
BCS #1 vs. BCS #2 Miami Gardens, FL
Sun Life Stadium Mon., Jan. 7
Tickets

wsb3
10-20-2012, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE=JasonEvans;598947]

Admit it, when Bernard fell on that insane loose ball and scored the go ahead TD, how many of you really truly thought we would win? I wish I could raise my hand, but I can't. However, over on the dark blue sideline, there were 70+** people who thought we would win... and then they made it happen. Greatest drive in decades for Duke. We refused to let the old demons haunt us.

Part of me ...yes i said here we go..same old song..but with the time i just wanted a chance at the end..and a chance with virtually no time left because the way UNC was moving the ball I thought even if we scored they would score again..This will never be like basketball for me but right before the TD play I was thinking how much I wanted it for Cut, staff, and players..They have worked so hard to bring a pulse back to a place that had given up on football.

diveonthefloor
10-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Right in the middle of close FSU - Miami game, ABC puts up graphic of ACC standings with Duke atop the coastal and
Herbstreit takes out his telestrator pen and draws a big yellow circle around DUKE!

Then he and Brent proceed to give Duke and Cut lotsa lotsa love on the air.....LOVE IT!!!

chaosmage
10-20-2012, 11:05 PM
But I have to post on this. I am so proud of the men on that team. I haven't watched much football of any kind for many years, because I taught high school band and had no urge to spend my weekend watching what I worked with all week. I kept up with the scores, cheered when we won, sighed and took crap from the fans at my work in NC.

But this year, I've watched every game that was on ESPN3 on the XBox, and finally got to watch this one in HD from out in Cali. My wife said I was screaming like I did in April 2010.

Sadly, one of my good friends just told me to lose his number, but oh well. His loss.

GTHC GTH! :-)

peloton
10-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Yeah! That's what I'm 'talkin about! Congrats to Coach Cut and the guys...they could have easily folded and succumbed to pressure in that last minute or so. But they didn't, and that's what's so freakin' cool...what a drive and what a catch by Crowder in a crowd to come down with it - just amazing.

Bdbd, this season isn't over...there could be more good things to come. We all know that Coach Cutcliffe certainly isn't satisfied with simply being bowl eligible...there's still work to be done and possibly more victories for this team. Hurleyfor3 mentioned the '89 Duke/Clemson game. I was there and although that was a win I will *never* forget against the ranked Tigers, this Duke team has more talent and skilled players in my opinion than that edition. This Duke team certainly has the potential if they continue to play well to pull off an upset or two in some of the remaining games.

What a way to become bowl eligible...in front of the home crowd and against your arch rivals! I might be watching the David Cutcliffe Show tomorrow :).

Onions!
10-20-2012, 11:07 PM
The road to the ACC championship game goes through Durham.

peloton
10-20-2012, 11:11 PM
That's okay, Chaosmage - a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...this group certainly understands your need to post now :D. Glad you saw fit to contribute - go Duke!!

heyman25
10-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Great win.The Thrill of Victory and no agony of defeat for The Blue Devils!

cspan37421
10-20-2012, 11:14 PM
The ACC needs to suspend that guy. Carolina was subbing and the Carolina guy blindsided Connor Vernon but the refs did not see it. I mean, it was almost like something The Iron Sheik would do to Hulk Hogan in the good old days of the WWF. He just lowered his shoulder and nailed Vernon from behind.

I am not prone to violence, but if I had a 2x4 in my hands, I would have gone all Hacksaw Duggan on that Carolina player if I had been there.

-Jason "not a wrestling fan... at least not any more" Evans

So the Charlotte Observer reported, "In one of the more bizarre sequences in the game, Duke WR Conner Vernon went down with an apparent leg injury in the second quarter before the ball was snapped. UNC LB Shakeel Rashad was a late substitution and clipped Vernon from behind. Vernon dropped to the ground and rolled around, but he was back on the next snap. "

What is the likelihood any justice will be done? Does Duke have to send in the tape to the ACC? Is there any history of suspensions of cheap-shot artists who get away with it during a game? I'm not aware of it - which is probably one big reason why it still goes on.

burnspbesq
10-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Can somebody post a link to the radio call of the last 30 seconds, for those of us who watched it on TV.

I imagine that's going in the same folder as "There's the pass to Laettner" and "Clean win by Costabile."

CrazieDUMB
10-20-2012, 11:18 PM
As someone who was in the Ted roof days as a marching band member, I can't say how awesome this win is. Long live cutcliffe! Go duke!

75Crazie
10-20-2012, 11:20 PM
How many Carolina-Duke football games over the past 40 years have gone deep into the fourth quarter with Duke in position for victory, only to have Carolina tear our heart out? Too many for me to count. This game is just so poetic on so many levels!

A lot of people here are going to play up the bowl eligibility factor. That, as yet, means next to nothing for me. When/if we make it to 8 wins, I will be more impressed with going to a bowl. No, what resonates with me this year is that Duke has an actual football team. A team that seemingly knows what it takes to win a close game. A team that can overcome questionable officiating and questionable play-calling (both in evidence tonight). A team that beats Wake Forest for the first time in 13 years. A team that takes a knockout punch from UVA and returns it for a TKO. A team that BEATS THE FREAKIN' TAR HEELS, after taking a similar knockout punch. A team that actually looks like it knows what it's doing on the field.

Well played, Blue Devils. I know you'll be back to the grind all too soon, but I hope tonight that you celebrate like champs, because you're earned it.

cspan37421
10-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Admit it, when Bernard fell on that insane loose ball and scored the go ahead TD, how many of you really truly thought we would win?

Truly? No. But I thought we had a decent chance because there was, IIRC, more than 3 min left on the clock. That's plenty of time for what usually is a pass-happy team. Thing is, we had been shut out of the end zone the second half, and our last possession didn't go so far, so there wasn't much reason to assume we could go even further.

It's good we didn't leave much time on the clock; even if Carolina's receiver hadn't been stripped, they had a huge gain on that play, and they were pretty much methodically marching down the field by way of the pass. Perhaps if Carolina doesn't score on that freak fumble, they run it up the middle a bunch of times, chewing up clock, before scoring.

WakeDevil
10-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Someone on IC suggested the sub was looking at the ball when the contact occurred. Okay, but how is that not a procedure or delay of game penalty? Any football officials in the audience?

Bluedog
10-20-2012, 11:49 PM
...the game winning play!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC-F-Vxf36g

DU82
10-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Someone on IC suggested the sub was looking at the ball when the contact occurred. Okay, but how is that not a procedure or delay of game penalty? Any football officials in the audience?

We were lined up ready to snap the ball, and contact was made on the offensive side of the ball. At a minimum, it should have been offsides.

diveonthefloor
10-20-2012, 11:53 PM

Encroachment..defender made contact with offensive player on the offensive side of Line of Scrimmage, before snap.
Should have been an automatic penalty.

But watching in real time and on replay, it should have been a personal foul and an ejection. Refs blew the call.

ricks68
10-20-2012, 11:54 PM
After having to watch us play every game this year on my herky-jerky computer connection, imagine my surprise when I found the game on ESPNU. I couldn't believe how utterly fantastic the uniforms looked. Someone should get a design award for that. And I have never seen the stadium with that many people before. They showed it from the air and it looked completely full---------and the majority of the people wore the better shade of blue. How is that possible?

I truly felt it was an honor to be able to see our guys win today.:D

Go Duke! Go Cut! Go everyone involved in such a glorious victory for the good guys!
ricks

Newton_14
10-21-2012, 12:01 AM
Just got back!!! Atmosphere was unreal! A Duke atmosphere, and large Duke crowd that drowned out every attempt of Tar Cheat uh I mean Heel chants. I even acted like a kid and went on the field with the other crazy folks! Unreal.

The crowd never gave up on the team even after the fluke score lost the lead. Conner was big on that last drive. Just huge. The line play, and running game won that game. 234 on the ground. Snead with 99, Duncan with 74. All 3 backs had over 10 rush attempts. Duke ran 89 plays to UNc-Ch 71. That was huge. Cut owned up to the bad decisioin. Said that had the fake on, then called it off when the qtr ended, but players and assistants wanted to try it and he caved. Said it was a terrible decision, but was trying to bury them right then and there by going up 3 scores. He thanked the players for "bailing the old man out on a dumb decision".

The hit on Conner was as dirty as it comes. If that kid does not get suspended this week then something is wrong.

What a night!

Go Duke!!!!

dcdevil2009
10-21-2012, 12:03 AM
So after reading this thread, the recap, and watching the replay of the touchdown, and Sportscenter's top 10, I'm a little confused. It was a college football only countdown and Duke was nowhere to be found. Harvard-Princeton made the list at #10 based on the resuly alone, but Duke didn't?

uh_no
10-21-2012, 12:10 AM
At least this way we still have time to drive down the field for a game-winning TD? hey...I'm trying to find any positives...Should have fallen on that fumble. Ridiculous play.

wow....nice call.

turns out our inability to run the clock was our saving grace :)

Reilly
10-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Freezing every frame, still can't figure out how he caught it ... click on "highlights" in the "related links" box ...

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205717069&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Snap
10-21-2012, 12:20 AM
Just got back!!! Atmosphere was unreal! A Duke atmosphere, and large Duke crowd that drowned out every attempt of Tar Cheat uh I mean Heel chants. I even acted like a kid and went on the field with the other crazy folks! Unreal.

The crowd never gave up on the team even after the fluke score lost the lead.
Go Duke!!!!

I was cringing before the game anticipating a heavy Carolina turnout, but soooo pleasantly surprised with the way the fans and team showed up tonight and both kept it going all game. I missed the Bama game, but can't remember the last time I've seen Wade so full or with so much fan support. I feel like the fans and the team both arrived tonight !

pamtar
10-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Great set of .gifs, I'm sure they'll get some use here. Especially love the bell ringing, and hope that sled is now Pantone 287...

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/10/20/3532566/duke-north-carolina-football-a-story-of-triumph-told-through-images

Native
10-21-2012, 12:23 AM
Can somebody post a link to the radio call of the last 30 seconds, for those of us who watched it on TV.

I imagine that's going in the same folder as "There's the pass to Laettner" and "Clean win by Costabile."

Chills. Absolute chills. This is a program-defining win right here. These don't come along too often.

Oh, and Conner says Hi:

uh_no
10-21-2012, 12:24 AM
Great set of .gifs, I'm sure they'll get some use here. Especially love the bell ringing, and hope that sled is now Pantone 287...

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/10/20/3532566/duke-north-carolina-football-a-story-of-triumph-told-through-images

it took about 30 seconds before they painted it :D

there's a blue spot on the track now

devildeac
10-21-2012, 12:30 AM

I'm blind, I'm deaf...

15 yards and an ejection. Unbelievable.

moonpie23
10-21-2012, 12:32 AM
which play will IC point to as the play we cheated on to win???

WakeDevil
10-21-2012, 12:33 AM
I'm sure some of you are familiar with the Pack Pride "character" NIT Stan. From his Twitter: "CONGRADULATIONS Duke blue devil persons beating Tar 'Hole' team Mr Okanjo predicted this I told him no but Holes beaten like unruly children."

WakeDevil
10-21-2012, 12:34 AM
which play will IC point to as the play we cheated on to win???

Duke held on every play. I'll save you a trip there.

devildeac
10-21-2012, 12:35 AM
Crowder would not be denied!!!!!!

I want to see 19 more replays of that catch!!!

Goal posts are coming down!

-Jason "giddy!!!" Evans

Security was defending the goal posts at both ends of the field as if they were the Alamo. Cut promised they could/would come down. BOOOOOO!!!!!

dukelifer
10-21-2012, 12:35 AM
Chills. Absolute chills. This is a program-defining win right here. These don't come along too often.

Oh, and Conner says Hi:

Great night in the stadium. Crowd was into the game- UNC fans were reasonably polite throughout and there was heart-stopping action at the end. My poor 9 year old son was sobbing after UNC went ahead- but he channeled his emotion to yell at the top of his lungs as Duke marched down the field. He was smiling ear to ear walking out of the stadium- ready to gloat to his tar heel rooting buddies. He will remember this one for a long time to come.

uh_no
10-21-2012, 12:37 AM
Security was defending the goal posts at both ends of the field as if they were the Alamo. Cut promised they could/would come down. BOOOOOO!!!!!

He promised us 5 years ago when we beat james madison :|

i can't be too upset with him, though

Greg_Newton
10-21-2012, 12:40 AM

The crowd never gave up on the team even after the fluke score lost the lead. Conner was big on that last drive. Just huge. The line play, and running game won that game. 234 on the ground. Snead with 99, Duncan with 74. All 3 backs had over 10 rush attempts. Duke ran 89 plays to UNc-Ch 71. That was huge. Cut owned up to the bad decisioin. Said that had the fake on, then called it off when the qtr ended, but players and assistants wanted to try it and he caved. Said it was a terrible decision, but was trying to bury them right then and there by going up 3 scores. He thanked the players for "bailing the old man out on a dumb decision".

The hit on Conner was as dirty as it comes. If that kid does not get suspended this week then something is wrong.

What a night!

Go Duke!!!!

Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. I'm just calming down enough to type now. You saw how nervous I was at halftime, I'm going to be awake for days after that last drive, lol.

It's almost too much for words, honestly. Such an incredible finish. I was 100% certainly we would lose until about 20 minutes after the game (took a while to hit me). One of those things were I don't even really like reliving that last drive because it was sooooo close to heartbreak.

Wow, wow, wow. If anyone was standing behind section 23 during that last drive, we are officially brothers for life!

devildeac
10-21-2012, 12:41 AM
As they say in the Army-Navy rivalry, our record this season? ...was 1-0. (that game is all that matters!) :D

I was so happy for the guys to win it that way - at gut-check time the Offense marches almost 90 yards in the final 3 minutes. Wonderful way to exorcise some demons! Cut gave a great interview on the field right afterward, saying, when asked to put it in perspective, that this is the sort of win you hope to build on for the future. Lot's of hard work up to now...finally paying off! Great win gang!

Eager to hear from Ozzie and crew about how the environment was at the game. I heard that obnoxious "GO -- HEELZ" slow cheer come through a few times. The stadium looked packed. Did we outnumber the sheep fans? How do I get a piece of that goal post?? (The broadcast cut off before any storming of goal posts, etc.) This is one to savor, for sure. Unlike in the past this team handles the gut check in the end. Bodes well for the program going forward. Not going to continue looking for ways to lose. Cut for President!!

See y'all in Charlotte! Or Shreveport? Or El Paso? Or 'frisco?? They all sound good to me!!!

(3-1 conference mark looks pretty good!) I hope we see the momentum carry over the next few weeks for some tough opponents. Maybe we knock off one or two....

:D

1. Ozzie went to his 40th HS reunion. He got texts the entire game from me. He needs to be put "on holiday.":rolleyes:;)
2. Environment was great. Two tar-heels cheers drowned out quickly by 20K+ Duke fans. I really think we outnumbered the sheep tonight. Great showing from the fans and a great student turnout.
3. Security protected the goal posts like they were the Alamo. See my response to Jason above. BOOOOO!!!!

shereec
10-21-2012, 12:42 AM

Especially since we have more home games ahead this season and those seem to be pretty good goal posts for us...

uh_no
10-21-2012, 12:43 AM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/404242_10151109593951194_1982659268_n.jpg

for those who are curious....here it is in the proper shade

Greg_Newton
10-21-2012, 12:43 AM

Honestly, I didn't mind a whole lot... I was so happy for the players, I just wanted to get on the field celebrate with them. The goalposts didn't contribute much anyway*. :cool:

*Except for a heckuva bounce in the first quarter...

juise
10-21-2012, 12:44 AM

I was on campus per-Cut, but I have piece of goalpost from the 2002 ECU win. I think the administration underestimated the students' enthusiasm for football at that point.

DU82
10-21-2012, 12:45 AM
1. Ozzie went to his 40th HS reunion. He got texts the entire game from me. He needs to be put "on holiday.":rolleyes:;)
2. Environment was great. Two tar-heels cheers drowned out quickly by 20K+ Duke fans. I really think we outnumbered the sheep tonight. Great showing from the fans and a great student turnout.
3. Security protected the goal posts like they were the Alamo. See my response to Jason above. BOOOOO!!!!

Do you think they'll still be guarding them at 2AM? Perhaps some students can go back after the victory parties die down!:)

Greg_Newton
10-21-2012, 12:46 AM
Environment was great. Two tar-heels cheers drowned out quickly by 20K+ Duke fans.

One of my favorite things about tonight - other than the obvious ones - were the many times that a "TAR..." chant started from the far corner, which was drowned out by Duke fans booing, which was countered by UNC fans cheering, which was countered by Duke fans cheering. Nothing excessively hostile, but there was a great competitive energy in there.

devildeac
10-21-2012, 12:49 AM

Oh, and Conner says Hi:

Native: Students were great tonight. Simply great.

uh_no
10-21-2012, 12:50 AM
On North Carolina’s inability to stop the run:
“That’s a good question. From my standpoint, I don’t know. We got somebody out of position or out of a gap, or we couldn’t get out of a block. I don’t know; we are just going to have to look at in on film.”

On the difference in the fourth quarter:
“If I knew that, I would make sure we did in the first quarter. I don’t know.

On team’s emotion coming into the game:
“I don’t know. I thought we were fine.

maybe there are some tutors around chapel hill that can help larry out here.

uh_no
10-21-2012, 12:51 AM
I was on campus per-Cut, but I have piece of goalpost from the 2002 ECU win. I think the administration underestimated the students' enthusiasm for football at that point.

i used to have one of the big goal post-lug nut things from when we tore down the goal posts after beating northwestern away in 2007....not sure what happened to it....i was surprised there was no bonfire out there tonight

devildeac

Yep. Ozzie and I remember that well. He said something to the effect of waiting for a game that really means something. Tonight meant something. It really, really meant something. Huge win. So glad I could attend.

moonpie23
can we get some clips of the tarheels at the moment of defeat and just after?

devildeac
10-21-2012, 12:53 AM

What a night!

Go Duke!!!!

This: 2-3-4 yards rushing. Pretty dang amazing.

devildeac
10-21-2012, 12:54 AM
Honestly, I didn't mind a whole lot... I was so happy for the players, I just wanted to get on the field celebrate with them. The goalposts didn't contribute much anyway*. :cool:

*Except for a heckuva bounce in the first quarter...

He called "bank" anyway so it still counts;).

uh_no
10-21-2012, 12:54 AM
Yep. Ozzie and I remember that well. He said something to the effect of waiting for a game that really means something. Tonight meant something. It really, really meant something. Huge win. So glad I could attend.

if i recall, it was something akin to "lets save those suckers for down the road"

devildeac
10-21-2012, 12:56 AM

Personally, I switched my weekend to work from this one to next weekend and did not even consider attending my HS reunion this weekend;).

Native
10-21-2012, 12:56 AM
Native: Students were great tonight. Simply great.

Thanks! Means a lot to a lot.

devildeac
10-21-2012, 12:59 AM
if i recall, it was something akin to "lets save those suckers for down the road"

It may well have been more akin to that. Someone might have gotten hurt in the process so I'm just ecstatic about the W.

rhynelander
10-21-2012, 01:01 AM
So proud of our men! Incredible finish, felt like I had been punched by a clown after the heels recovered the fumble in the endzone while I falsely celebrated a recovered fumble. Way to debunk the Duke letdown theme we're all too familiar with, although without all the heartache would it be this sweet? Enjoy this win for the weekend, ring the bell, and then get ready for Free Shoes University.

Bluedog
10-21-2012, 01:04 AM
Mason was there to witness the game and was quite excited about the victory (go to 45 seconds):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubGHKj520d4#t=00m45s

Jahlil Okafor was also in attendance:
Jahlil Okafor ‏@jahprobound
Headed to the UNC vs Duke football game! Should be decent.

S/o to the Dukes coaching staff and the students. Had a great time! Thanks y'all! 
https://twitter.com/jahprobound

I think the other recruits had already left, but not completely sure.

DukeSean
10-21-2012, 01:09 AM
I'm very curious about the FB recruits in attendance...wonder if we might see some verbals after tonight's program-validating win

devildeac
10-21-2012, 01:11 AM
Who's Austin Rivers?

My new hero is Jamison Crowder.

(But AR is still a close second;).)

diablesseblu
10-21-2012, 01:11 AM
2012 has truly been "annus horriblis" for Carolina fans.

But, seriously, what a wonderful, gritty win by the Devils. It's impossible to overstate what this means.

johnb
10-21-2012, 01:19 AM
Mason was there to witness the game and was quite excited about the victory (go to 45 seconds):

S/o to the Dukes coaching staff and the students. Had a great time! Thanks y'all! 

that was a mason head... congrats to all!

magjayran
10-21-2012, 01:35 AM
I was there, seated in section 5. There were a lot of UNC fans in that area but there were more Duke fans by far in the stadium overall. We broke up a few of the Tar...Heel chants with our own GTHC's and we cheered hard the whole game even when it looked like victory might escape us. On the final drive, our cheers drowned out there's and I high fived a whole bunch of strangers when Crowder made that amazing catch. It amazed me to watch UNC fans pour out with 13 seconds to go. After such a crazy game it was disgusting to see them give up on their team. But of course, they are disgusting.

This was a magical night. It looked like we had lost but I had this feeling that we had one more drive in us. I knew we had Sean and Conner and I just couldn't believe that it could all be taken away from us after such a flukey play. And Crowder's catch was amazing. From my angle I could see that he secured it but with all the commotion I couldn't tell if he had held onto it as he hit the ground. So I looked to the bench and when I saw those beautiful kids in those beautiful uniforms jumping up and down I knew we had done it. I looked back and found an old high school buddy and we jumped up and down and embraced. I ran back to my seat and gave high fives to the folks I arrived with. I turned around and started high-fiving everyone. It was awesome. Then I held my breath. Great special teams tackle. Great pass defense on the first play from scrimmage. Great job staying in front of the Tar Heels on the hook and ladder attempt. Then I screamed my head off. I took pictures. I did more high fives. I called my mom. I am so happy.

Now let's go beat FSU!

Greg_Newton
10-21-2012, 01:51 AM

I saw Jahlil, Tyus and Theo on the concourse with Wojo at halftime.

ANYWAY... I still am in shock that we outrushed UNC by a signficant margin. ...Its defense was gashed by Duke's previously nondescript rushing attack, with the Blue Devils rolling up 510 total yards and 234 yards rushing -- the most ever on the ground by a David Cutcliffe-coached Duke team, and the most allowed this season by a North Carolina defense that entered ranked in the ACC's top tier in every significant stat category.

Surreal. I'm running out of adjectives.

uh_no
10-21-2012, 01:54 AM
I saw Jahlil, Tyus and Theo on the concourse with Wojo at halftime.

ANYWAY... I still am in shock that we outrushed UNC by a signficant margin. ...Its defense was gashed by Duke's previously nondescript rushing attack, with the Blue Devils rolling up 510 total yards and 234 yards rushing -- the most ever on the ground by a David Cutcliffe-coached Duke team, and the most allowed this season by a North Carolina defense that entered ranked in the ACC's top tier in every significant stat category.

Surreal. I'm running out of adjectives.

not anymoooooreeee :P

its not hard to pad your stats when you are playing juggernauts like elon...

Greg_Newton
10-21-2012, 02:06 AM
UNC has three high draft picks on the OL, one in the backfield, and one on the DL... I still can't believe we OUTRUSHED them. Legendary night.

This is just awesome (celebration video): http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200&id=1072782&ATCLID=205717069&ATCLPID=&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200

mkline09
10-21-2012, 02:08 AM
Thanks! Means a lot to a lot.

Better than Great, Superb! Felt like an honest to God Football environment tonight. Best I've ever seen it in Wade. Beautifully done.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-21-2012, 02:09 AM
I am, to say the least, beyond elated! Soooo sorry I wasn't there. My thanks to ddevildeac for sending me well over 100 text messages with game commentary. And no, I am not banned from attending future Duke - carolina home games :p And for the record, when he asked me what to do on 4th and 2 from midfield, I responded "punt". Cut didn't get the message...

I will return to north carolina on Wednesday night. On Thursday I will present myself in the football office atop the Yoh Building, and they will escort me to wherever they have the Victory Bell stored and I shall ring that bell until they ask me to stop! And if Coach Cut is there, I will remind him what he said to me at his first Meet the Blue Devils Day about when we could, and should, tear down the goalposts. That day was Saturday, October 20, 2012 about 10:30 pm. He didn't specify the date, but he outlined the conditions. Yesterday they were ALL met! :cool: http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Greg_Newton
10-21-2012, 02:24 AM
He did seem almost overcome/exhausted with emotion on the field afterward. I swear, it almost brings tears to my eyes:

One wide receiver didn't join the celebration right away. Senior Conner Vernon, the ACC's career leader in catches, stayed on the sideline.

“I stayed where I was,” he said. “I just took it all in for a second. I watched it all unfold. It was a sight to see.”

Vernon's first three Duke teams went 11-25. They lost two of his season openers to FCS opponent Richmond. Now, he'll end his career in a bowl game.

“It's one of the reasons I came here,” he said. “I saw what Coach Cut wanted to do -- the direction he wanted to take.”

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-21-2012, 03:21 AM
I was there tonight. It's taken me until now to unpack the perishables from the tailgate party and gather my thoughts.

We saw history made tonight. The stadium was very full. Duke blue was dominant in almost every section. When the visitors began their antiphonal name calling, we'd overwhelm them with, "Let's Go Duke." This is the first time I can remember in decades that we shut them down on cheers. The student sections were full and overflowing.... with fall break going on! Pom poms had been handed out to all of us. Students kept theirs moving so much it was like a sea with the ebb and flow.

The students were full participants in supporting the team. The cheer sheets were well done, Native. I'm so sorry that the cowbells couldn't be part of the atmosphere tonight, but the students' voice as one made up for it! The band has gained in strength and was allowed to provide most of the music. Thankfully, the role of the Jumbotron to inflict noise and instructions on us was cut back so that we could experience the real deal!

Despite some surges in their play, Carolina was never really in charge all night long. If Gio had been knocked out for the remainder of the game, their game plan would have had to change dramatically. The assault and battery inflicted on Conner Vernon was right up there with Marvin Austin's game long pummeling of Thad Lewis a few years back in Chapel Hill.

There will be no cars burning on Franklin Street tonight! The electricity is on in Wallace Wade Stadium. And I know Wallace Wade himself is indeed smiling that sly smile of his.

peloton
10-21-2012, 03:37 AM
DITBD, thanks for the firsthand observations; I wasn't able to be there tonight but was glued to the television obviously. I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said other than possibly, "am I really up at 3:30 a.m. still excited about this game?" This was just a simply amazing (and impressive) victory on so many levels. I do want to say one thing and hopefully it doesn't sound too trite. This victory may have been for bowl eligibility yes, but it was especially for #8.

Good night...er, good morning to all.

Ggallagher
10-21-2012, 07:37 AM
What an outstanding effort and great heart. And how often do you see this in a list of sporting event results..

Carolina - goes down 33-30
Maryland - goes down 20-18
Kentucky - goes down 29-24
Connecticut - goes down 40-10

AND DUKE (SEE CAROLINA ABOVE)

Couldn't be a better day - unless I was looking at the same list in maybe March or April.
Way to go Devils!

devildeac
10-21-2012, 07:57 AM

Wonder what they'd think about attending a football school...
;)

devildeac
10-21-2012, 08:16 AM
I believe they learned a tremendous lesson from the collapse at VT last week. Each time unc scored, we answered until they crept within 26-23 when they scored again on a cruel, fluke fumble recovery that we failed to cover. We could have hung our heads and figured out yet another way to put a loss on the ledger again but instead, engineered a magnificent drive for the win in the final seconds. Amazing.

oldnavy
10-21-2012, 08:29 AM

I would argue they are wrong... because it has already changed.

We are changed. It has already happened. The future so bright!!!!

--Jason " **- I am counting players, coaches, managers and everyone else who have bought into Cut's plan, trusted it, and now reaped its rewards" Evans

I will be honest, I thought it was over. I wanted to get up and turn off the TV and go to bed, but I just couldn't for some reason. Years past that is exactly what I would have done, but there is something about this Duke team and this program now that you just can't give up on. Congratulations Devils, enjoy this, it has been a loooong time coming!

GO DUKE!!

devildeac
10-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Sports headline in the Raleigh N&O this AM:

BOWL, BELL, BLUE DEVILS

My face is starting to hurt from the huge grin I've had on it since the game ended last PM:D.

SharkD
10-21-2012, 08:48 AM
The student sections were full and overflowing.... with fall break going on!

This seemed a common mis-conception. Duke's Fall Break was Friday-Tuesday. Classes resumed on Wednesday. Carolina students are on Fall Break, right now.

The students were full participants in supporting the team. The cheer sheets were well done, Native. I'm so sorry that the cowbells couldn't be part of the atmosphere tonight, but the students' voice as one made up for it! The band has gained in strength and was allowed to provide most of the music. Thankfully, the role of the Jumbotron to inflict noise and instructions on us was cut back so that we could experience the real deal!

I'm so proud of the students for showing up and staying til the end. I've used my personal soapbox to encourage my students to attend games, for the last 4 years, I'm glad to see the campus culture slowly changing. I'm so happy that the crowd led the cheers, not the video

The assault and battery inflicted on Conner Vernon was right up there with Marvin Austin's game long pummeling of Thad Lewis a few years back in Chapel Hill.

I was also shocked by the number of WWF-esque moves that the Carolina defense kept pulling, on kickoff returns and dead balls, that the refs kept ignoring.

Bob Green
10-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Last night was absolutely without question the biggest victory I have ever personally observed at Wallace Wade Stadium. The game was fantastic and the crowd was electric. Being able to shut up the obnoxious Carolina fans was rewarding.

grossbus
10-21-2012, 09:39 AM
forgive if covered earlier, but if it was, i missed.

attendance? stadium looked pretty full.

Bob Green
10-21-2012, 09:45 AM
forgive if covered earlier, but if it was, i missed.

attendance? stadium looked pretty full.

The game was a sell out: 33,941.

Sixthman
10-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Last night was absolutely without question the biggest victory I have ever personally observed at Wallace Wade Stadium. The game was fantastic and the crowd was electric. Being able to shut up the obnoxious Carolina fans was rewarding.

Bob -- Electric is the right word. That is what football could be at Duke, always. It is a reminder of how much of all sports, for players and fans is about attitude and emotion. Coach Cut has built a team with a winning attitude, and last night, the crowd was there, in full force, ready to win. The way the game played out, the success of the team on the field fed that feeling in the crowd. I came prepared to shout down the cheers of the UNC fans -- BUT I DIDN'T NEED TO. I came prepared to see as much pale blue as true blue, but that was NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE CASE. When Carolina scored to go ahead, on a play that itself involved emotional whiplash, I instinctively put both hands on my head, elbows pointed out, in disbelief. I held them there, for what seemed a couple of minutes, and looked around and saw dozens of people in my section with exactly the same posture. I think we were just trying to breathe -- or maybe trying to keep our heads from exploding. I did not believe we were going to score when the last drive began. The guy standing behind me still did not believe we were going to win during the time between our last touchdown and the clock expiring. Despite my disbelief going into the last drive, I was good no matter the outcome. I was at peace because in more than thirty years of fairly regular attendance at Duke football games, I had never seen this kind of atmosphere in Wallace Wade. It was a ball. It was like a big game in Cameron. There was a combination of intensity, passion, FUN, and success on the field -- and it was sustained throughout the game. Last night we were the better the team, we had the better fans, we had the better coaches, the better game plan, we played with more heart, we gave as much as we got, we got fewer calls from the officials, had no more luck than they did -- AND WE WON! As much as the Crowder catch defines that win, it is easy to think of a dozen plays without which we would not have been in a position to win (think field goals and special teams for starters). It was a party the entire night!

killerleft
10-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Bob -- Electric is the right word. That is what football could be at Duke, always. It is a reminder of how much of all sports, for players and fans is about attitude and emotion. Coach Cut has built a team with a winning attitude, and last night, the crowd was there, in full force, ready to win. The way the game played out, the success of the team on the field fed that feeling in the crowd. I came prepared to shout down the cheers of the UNC fans -- BUT I DIDN'T NEED TO. I came prepared to see as much pale blue as true blue, but that was NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE CASE. When Carolina scored to go ahead, on a play that itself involved emotional whiplash, I instinctively put both hands on my head, elbows pointed out, in disbelief. I held them there, for what seemed a couple of minutes, and looked around and saw dozens of people in my section with exactly the same posture. I think we were just trying to breathe -- or maybe trying to keep our heads from exploding. I did not believe we were going to score when the last drive began. The guy standing behind me still did not believe we were going to win during the time between our last touchdown and the clock expiring. Despite my disbelief going into the last drive, I was good no matter the outcome. I was at peace because in more than thirty years of fairly regular attendance at Duke football games, I had never seen this kind of atmosphere in Wallace Wade. It was a ball. It was like a big game in Cameron. There was a combination of intensity, passion, FUN, and success on the field -- and it was sustained throughout the game. Last night we were the better the team, we had the better fans, we had the better coaches, the better game plan, we played with more heart, we gave as much as we got, we got fewer calls from the officials, had no more luck than they did -- AND WE WON! As much as the Crowder catch defines that win, it is easy to think of a dozen plays without which we would not have been in a position to win (think field goals and special teams for starters). It was a party the entire night!

Very well, said! For the first time since I was in my teens, it can be said that, both on the field and in the stands, what it was we saw was MAJOR COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!

The students were simply amazing.

mgtr
10-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Great win for Duke, particularly after the second half disappearance last week. But, I have a solution -- at halftime, play the Buddy Holly song "Not Fade Away." Maybe somebody did do that this week, and that is why we won. No, we won because we are Duke and they aren't!

Dopeshop
10-21-2012, 11:05 AM
I've always regarded Bobby Hurley's late Three pointer against UNLV as a watershed event in Duke BBall.

What are the chances that Crowder's catch might have such an impact for football ?

Dev11
10-21-2012, 11:17 AM
I've always regarded Bobby Hurley's late Three pointer against UNLV as a watershed event in Duke BBall.

What are the chances that Crowder's catch might have such an impact for football ?

Time will tell.

I'm still beside myself this morning over this win. The students, the rushing game, the closing drive, the defensive front, all of those were at highs we haven't seen in a long time. We could not have scripted a better C*rolina game, and I for one could not be more pumped to have to cancel my winter break plans for this team.

GTHC GO DUKE!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-21-2012, 11:29 AM
This seemed a common mis-conception. Duke's Fall Break was Friday-Tuesday. Classes resumed on Wednesday. Carolina students are on Fall Break, right now.
At least I wrote it in my own words, no cut and paste!:)

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-21-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm blind, I'm deaf...

15 yards and an ejection. Unbelievable.
He lowered his shoulder. It was so obviously intentional. I really do hope the ACC reviews it and takes some action if possible. Dirty, dirty, dirty. Could have ended very badly for Vernon.

loran16
10-21-2012, 11:48 AM
I hope someone can put up on the internet Bob Harris' call at the Crowder play.....I can't imagine his reaction.

striker219
10-21-2012, 11:57 AM
He lowered his shoulder. It was so obviously intentional. I really do hope the ACC reviews it and takes some action if possible. Dirty, dirty, dirty. Could have ended very badly for Vernon.

I was only able to watch (most of) the second half, is there video of this?

grossbus
10-21-2012, 12:01 PM
and he was collecting high fives from teammates as vernon was on the ground.

JTH
10-21-2012, 12:31 PM
and he was collecting high fives from teammates as vernon was on the ground.

Is there any video that someone can link to the play. I could not see the game and I have heard so many reports that I would really love to see just what happened. Thanks in advance.

Congratulations team!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Is there any video that someone can link to the play. I could not see the game and I have heard so many reports that I would really love to see just what happened. Thanks in advance.

Congratulations team!

I have not recovered enough yet to do any research today. Folks seated around me during the game were looking at their smart phones and saying it was blowing up all over the Internet in Tweets and on Youtube.

mgtr
10-21-2012, 12:39 PM
I was only able to watch (most of) the second half, is there video of this?

Yes, on national TV no less (ESPNU).. I would think, that if the Carolina coach was a standup guy, he would announce that he has voluntarily suspended the player for the next 2 (or some number) of games for intentional dirty play.

DukeSean
10-21-2012, 12:43 PM

Congratulations team!

You can watch the replay on watchespn.com:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/594636/size/condensed/

Look at the 1:05 mark for the cheap shot, they show it in slow motion. Rashad clearly lowered his shoulder into Vernon on purpose

CTDukeFan
10-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Yes, on national TV no less (ESPNU).. I would think, that if the Carolina coach was a standup guy, he would announce that he has voluntarily suspended the player for the next 2 (or some number) of games for intentional dirty play.

For those of us without access to ESPN on-line. Here's the YouTube version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6D1ztH2Im4 (top item when searching for "unc football cheap shot").

I wouldn't be holding my breath about Carolina suspending their player voluntarily. Hopefully the fact it was on national TV might get the ACC to do something but I don't know what the rules allow. The refs clearly huddled to decide what to do and my guess is that no one was looking that way so they couldn't assess a penalty without proof.

Duke_92
10-21-2012, 01:21 PM
For those of us without access to ESPN on-line. Here's the YouTube version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6D1ztH2Im4 (top item when searching for "unc football cheap shot").

I wouldn't be holding my breath about Carolina suspending their player voluntarily. Hopefully the fact it was on national TV might get the ACC to do something but I don't know what the rules allow. The refs clearly huddled to decide what to do and my guess is that no one was looking that way so they couldn't assess a penalty without proof.

Thanks for the link. I was just about to post this myself. It is hard to describe just how angry I am about this. I hope someone at Carolina has the guts to stand up and do the right thing on this one, but their recent track record indicates that probably will not happen. It looks like a case of the inmates running the asylum over at UNC.

jimsumner
10-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the link. I was just about to post this myself. It is hard to describe just how angry I am about this. I hope someone at Carolina has the guts to stand up and do the right thing on this one, but their recent track record indicates that probably will not happen. It looks like a case of the inmates running the asylum over at UNC.

In a rational universe, the ACC would take that decision out of their hands.

Because that whole self-policing thing has worked so well at Carolina.

But I think back to the game at VT a few years back, when Thad Lewis was knocked out of the game on what I still think was the dirtiest play I've ever seen in a Duke football game. No flag on the play. But I assumed that the ACC would step in and take measures. Never heard a peep from them.

So, we shall see. But I wouldn't hold my metaphorical breath.

At the very least, the officials should be allowed to go to the review booth on plays of that nature.

Olympic Fan
10-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Just a few thoughts Sunday morning after taking some time to gather my thoughts:

-- When Carolina rallied in the fourth quarterand took the lead, I thought I was re-living a nightmre. I can't remember how many times we have dominated the game for three quarters or so and lost -- often on a fluke play. But to follow that moment wih a 14-play, 87-yard drive capped by that fourth down pass to Jamison ... wow, words just can't describe the emotion.
The biggest win for Duke since beating Clemson in 1989 ... the biggest, most dramatic game-winning drive in my lifetime. There was a similar drive in Ben Bennett's last home game to beat N.C. State 27-26 in 1983,but that game had nowhere nar the importance (it improved Duke's record to 3-7).

--I thought Virgina Tech was the dirtiest team in the ACC, but after wathing Larry Fedora's first UNC team for the first time ... what a bunch of thugs! It wasn't only the cheap shot against Vernon. I saw at least half a dozen imes (usually in kickoffs) where Carolina blockers were on top of Duke guys, getting up by digging ther knees into their chests. I will say this after watching the replays -- I think the personal foul called when Duke hit the sliding Renner was a good call ... I just don't understand why it wasn't called a week ago when Renfree was temporarily knocked out of the VPI game on exactly the same play.

--Props to the crowd ... and especially to the students. I've ragged on ther failure to support the team, but they were there in force Saturday night -- acting like they act in Cameron. A few weeks ago, when stadium expansion plans were revaled, there were those who complained that we can't fill the stadium how, Buta few more games like that andwe'll need those empt sea. I'm glad the Duke students gt tosee what a great experience good football can be.

-- Interesting note about the basketball recruits at the game. I have no idea whether the experience impacts their decisions, but I do know thatmore than 30 years ago, Kenny Dennard was makinga his official recruiting visit to Clemson on the weekend they played Duke. That was the game where Vince Fusco kicked six field goals, including a school-record 57-yarder on he game's final play to give Duke an 18-18 tie. The ball actually hit the crossbar and bounced over. Dennard told me that's when he decided to go to Duke -- because he got so excited at that monent.

-- Amazing the number of North Carolina kids who contributed. When Cut got here, we had just eight in-state players on the rroster. Now we have 28, including Snead and Duncan at RB, Scott and Crowder at WR, TE Blakeney, OT Simmons and Cofield, DE Foxx, DT Sink, LB Kyler Brown, CB Cockrell and S Braxton ... that's just those who started. Boone, who scored our first TD ...not surprised that Desmond Scott, a Durham kid who was recruited by UNC, was the first Duke player to reach the Victory Bell.

--Unsung hero -- Ross Martin. Four of four field goals (even if he did bank one in) ... he's now 12 of 13 for the season. How many Duke-Carolina games have we seen lost by a botched field goal (2007 for sure) or even a botched extra point (2006). The kid was perfect ... and he's doing a great job on kickoffs too.

devildeac
10-21-2012, 03:22 PM

Thanks for that link. The espn one was subscription only. What a cheap, dirty play. Dead ball hit from behind. As Jim Sumner said, I won't hold my breath waiting for the acc office to act on it. They refused to suspend unc goons last year and the year before while throwing punches at NCSU players after State had scored, so I expect no action here. Just remember who the commish is...

Gutless if they don't act however.

WakeDevil
10-21-2012, 05:32 PM
One player high-fived another, and it wasn't much of one. Do you expect the league office to do something when the officials didn't? You have to explain why the player thought he could get away with it when a linesman was watching it. Blame the officials for not doing their jobs.

Were any of you on the Warren Commission? You missed your calling.

Class of '94
10-21-2012, 05:50 PM
One player high-fived another, and it wasn't much of one. Do you expect the league office to do something when the officials didn't? You have to explain why the player thought he could get away with it when a linesman was watching it. Blame the officials for not doing their jobs.

Were any of you on the Warren Commission? You missed your calling.

The very fact that the refs didn't do anything is why the league should step in and get involved. Some have said that the refs didn't see it and that was why no penalties were called. Regardless, it was a dirty play and has no business in the game. I'm not concerned about the high-fiving; I'm more concerned about a player thinking he can give a cheap shot to an opposing player from behind on a dead ball play. The league needs to step in to make sure that this doesn't happen again because those type of dirty plays could lead to something worse as a result depending on which two teams are playing against one another.

And to be fair, if our O-lineman is penalize for what he did to UNC defensive player, then so be it (although imo it occurred as retaliation to the cheapshot on Conner; and it would've never happened if the dirty play on Conner had not happened).

Greg_Newton
10-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Kind of surprising that the "hitman" - Shakeel Rashad - is a true freshman that Cut recruited and offered. Anyway, a couple of random players I think deserve shoutouts, now that I've calmed enough to be coherent:

-Jordon Byas, HUGE game; he just seemed to have Gio's number, somehow. More than a couple solo takedowns for short gains or losses. And if Cockrell had gotten that fumble, we'd probably be talking about his game-winning play to hack the ball loose. A redshirt senior not even 2 months removed from knee surgery and he's been great for us.

-Walt Canty, as usual, had a few crucial tackles, including an open field tackle of Gio to force a point. Hopefully we've seen the first and last of him as a RB, though. :rolleyes:

-Kyler Brown was relatively quiet most of the game, but he had a huge defensive series where he had several tackles and several pass breakups over the middle (including one that probably saved us 4 points).

-David Reeves; the O-line has gotten its share of praise, which is more than deserved, but I thought Reeves also did a great job of holding his blocks on the end. He's really, really improved as a blocker since the beginning of the season.

-Desmond Scott didn't put up big numbers, but he's been our Hines Ward; 3 years as a RB = one heckuva blocking receiver. Conner's big run-after-catch to jump start our final drive benefited from Scott somehow holding off two DBs at once as Conner ran by.

-Lee Butler; he did get beat a couple of times, but he had a few really nice breakups and a huge forced fumble, along with some really solid kick returns. Yet another senior stepping up.

Lots of other guys stepped up and made plays too - everyone won their matchups fairly consistently, and we saw how well we play when that happens.

Kedsy
10-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Wow, maybe we really are a football school, now that eight of the top nine threads on the Duke Basketball Report are about football.

That said, congrats to the football team for their outstanding game and season (so far). I can count on one hand the number of bowl games Duke has been to in my lifetime (and trust me, I'm pretty old), and even including this year I don't think I'd need all my fingers.

Newton_14
10-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Kind of surprising that the "hitman" - Shakeel Rashad - is a true freshman that Cut recruited and offered. Anyway, a couple of random players I think deserve shoutouts, now that I've calmed enough to be coherent:

-Jordon Byas, HUGE game; he just seemed to have Gio's number, somehow. More than a couple solo takedowns for short gains or losses. And if Cockrell had gotten that fumble, we'd probably be talking about his game-winning play to hack the ball loose. A redshirt senior not even 2 months removed from knee surgery and he's been great for us.

-Walt Canty, as usual, had a few crucial tackles, including an open field tackle of Gio to force a point. Hopefully we've seen the first and last of him as a RB, though. :rolleyes:

-Kyler Brown was relatively quiet most of the game, but he had a huge defensive series where he had several tackles and several pass breakups over the middle (including one that probably saved us 4 points).

-David Reeves; the O-line has gotten its share of praise, which is more than deserved, but I thought Reeves also did a great job of holding his blocks on the end. He's really, really improved as a blocker since the beginning of the season.

-Desmond Scott didn't put up big numbers, but he's been our Hines Ward; 3 years as a RB = one heckuva blocking receiver. Conner's big run-after-catch to jump start our final drive benefited from Scott somehow holding off two DBs at once as Conner ran by.

-Lee Butler; he did get beat a couple of times, but he had a few really nice breakups and a huge forced fumble, along with some really solid kick returns. Yet another senior stepping up.

Lots of other guys stepped up and made plays too - everyone won their matchups fairly consistently, and we saw how well we play when that happens.

Agree on all counts. Kyler also one very hellacious hit on Gio at the goal line to keep him out of the end zone. That was Ronnie Lot esque, even to to point where he hurt himself doing it.

I saw the video posted earlier of Mason in the crowd. Amile and Rasheed were also there. I saw them at halftime right behind the student section, and Ryan Kelly was down on the field after game, standing at the Duke sidelines taking it all in. Great to see the hoop guys there supporting the football team.

Just a great evening. I still haven't come down from the elation. I could have down without the heart attack at the end. Would rather Ross had secured the fumble, but on the other hand, we would have missed "The Drive", and "The Catch". Plus, every singly UNC@ch fan around us thought victory was theirs after the fluke TD. So theres that.

One for the ages! Cut is getting it done. One step at a time.

Kedsy
10-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Plus, every singly UNC@ch fan around us thought victory was theirs after the fluke TD. So theres that.

Kind of like the crowd at the Smith Center just before Austin nailed that shot over Zeller? Twice in one calendar year is pretty good.

Newton_14
10-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Kind of like the crowd at the Smith Center just before Austin nailed that shot over Zeller? Twice in one calendar year is pretty good.

Exactly Kedsy. Arrogance unlike any other on earth. 5 or 6 of them started a "let's go Tar Heels" chant during the tv timeout after their go ahead touchdown, which we quickly drowned out with GTHC GTH, and boos. That they had to eat it shortly thereafter just like the Austin Rivers game was sweet. Plus we ragged them all 2nd half long with Swahili Navy, academic fraud, and tutor gate barbs. One guy even brought a "Go Lehigh" sign. Loved the ending for him too.

Regarding the cheap shot on Conner, I suspect Tyler Thornton will find a way to get retribution on the hardwood somehow. :)

devildeac
10-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Exactly Kedsy. Arrogance unlike any other on earth. 5 or 6 of them started a "let's go Tar Heels" chant during the tv timeout after their go ahead touchdown, which we quickly drowned out with GTHC GTH, and boos. That they had to eat it shortly thereafter just like the Austin Rivers game was sweet. Plus we ragged them all 2nd half long with Swahili Navy, academic fraud, and tutor gate barbs. One guy even brought a "Go Lehigh" sign. Loved the ending for him too.

Regarding the cheap shot on Conner, I suspect Tyler Thornton will find a way to get retribution on the hardwood somehow. :)

Yea, we saw the DuncE with the Go Lehigh sign. He must have forgotten about Hampton and Weber State;).

jimsumner
10-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Wow, maybe we really are a football school, now that eight of the top nine threads on the Duke Basketball Report are about football.

I can count on one hand the number of bowl games Duke has been to in my lifetime (and trust me, I'm pretty old), and even including this year I don't think I'd need all my fingers.

Since it's been twice since 1960/1, most folks can count them on one hand if they're Mordecai "Three-Fingers" Brown. :)

But I'm reasonably certain we will not have to wait 18 years until the next one.

Keep in mind Duke lost both of those bowl games. Duke hasn't actually won a bowl game since the Eisenhower administration.

There is one ominous subtext. Duke played in the 1989 All-American Bowl and the 1994/5 Hall of Fame bowl. Both went out of business shortly afterwards. So, a couple of bad streaks that need to end. Win a bowl game and don't send the bowl game under the water.

Class of '94
10-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Yea, we saw the DuncE with the Go Lehigh sign. He must have forgotten about Hampton and Weber State;).

And don't forget Dayton in the post season NIT......

75Crazie
10-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Would rather Ross had secured the fumble, but on the other hand, we would have missed "The Drive", and "The Catch". Plus, every singly UNC@ch fan around us thought victory was theirs after the fluke TD. So theres that.

One for the ages! Cut is getting it done. One step at a time.
Two thoughts. One, although I certainly didn't think it at the time, the Cockrell non-recovery might have been a blessing in disguise for us. It gave us over 3 minutes to mount a winning drive, whereas recovery of the fumble might have led to the more of the same conservative play and given the Heels time for one more attempt. It's moot, certainly, but it did give us the chance to tear their hearts out after they figured victory was theirs. And that leads to my second thought: I sure wish ESPNU had given us a shot or two of the Heels fans after the winning score. As much as I was celebrating, it would have made the celebration even sweeter to witness their misery.

devildeac
10-21-2012, 10:36 PM
From wralsportsfan blog and Adam Gold. Can't recall if he's one of the usual "haters" (after all, he is a twerp), but my wife and I thought this piece to be pretty well written and rather amusing:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/a-magical-night-in-durham/11684554/

Sad, but funniest line to us:

"... or come-from-ahead losses..." all too true for the last couple decades or more for us:o.

Reilly
10-21-2012, 11:12 PM
http://www.replayphotos.com//dukephotostore/purchase.cfm?rM=207125880

loran16
10-22-2012, 01:05 AM
From wralsportsfan blog and Adam Gold. Can't recall if he's one of the usual "haters" (after all, he is a twerp), but my wife and I thought this piece to be pretty well written and rather amusing:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/a-magical-night-in-durham/11684554/

Sad, but funniest line to us:

"... or come-from-ahead losses..." all too true for the last couple decades or more for us:o.

He's not a hater - generally supportive of Duke Football on twitter and his twitter feed reads more like a NC State fan than a Maryland Grad.

Greg_Newton
10-22-2012, 02:15 AM
Forgot about this - I'm not sure how to link the goduke interview, but this was Renfree post-game:

Our fans were unbelievable. The best I've ever seen here, and then even for away games, this was an unbelievable crowd, and that really pushed us over the edge.

Great night for about a zillion reasons.

CathyCA
10-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Here is my confession: I left the Duke-UNC football game early. Yes, for the first time I can ever remember, I left a Duke Football game before the final horn sounded. I left the game in the 4th quarter after UNC went ahead of Duke.

I had no choice. My 15 year old son was at a marching band competition, and he was due to arrive back in Greenville at midnight. I knew that I could leave my seat in Wally Wade and pick him up on time at his school if I left at 10:15. When 10:15 arrived, UNC had just gone ahead of Duke. My mom (Class of '56) and I grabbed our blankets, our stadium seats, my two cameras, our purses and we left our seats.

No one was on the concourse. The blacktop was deserted. Everyone was in the stadium watching the final few minutes of the football game. Everyone, that is, except us. And Roy Williams.

As we rounded the stadium just behind the general admission seats, we met Roy Williams. He appeared to be scooting to his car as quickly as we were scooting to ours. Did I mention that I had two cameras? I was so flabbergasted to see Roy Williams that I failed to snap his picture. He smiled and waved at us. Mom and I waved back at him.

We got to the car and listened to Duke score its final touchdown on the radio. I missed that final touchdown. I missed the celebration in Wally Wade, but we celebrated in the car. Mom and I woo-hooed all the way back to Greenville, where we arrived at the high school two minutes before the band buses returned to the school.

If anyone is keeping a list of games that Roy Williams left early, you can add this game to that list.

budwom
10-22-2012, 08:56 AM

That's a much better view than we got on ESPNU, which only had a view from the side...

CameronBornAndBred
10-22-2012, 09:09 AM
I can't wipe this smile off my face..it may be permanent. We finally got out of the parking lot a little after 1am that night, we had been there since 8am...and I could have gone a few more hours on pure emotion and adrenalin. I've waited almost 2 decades for this season. The son of the guys who tailgate next to us is an equipment manager, and he gave my grilling partner and I each a game ball before we drove off. My girlfriend said "oh, cool, you can put it upstairs next to the tv". I said "hell no, I'm gonna sleep with it". Some time this week I'm going to paint the date and score on that ball, and then enjoy it until Christmas. That day, I'll give it to my Dad..it is also his birthday. He's the reason I'm a Duke fan, he's taken me to games since Wallace Wade had wooden benches and I'd come home with splinters in my butt. He's waited for Saturday night just as long as I have, and I'm sure he's still smiling too.

DukeSean
10-22-2012, 10:24 AM

Awesome. I wish we had a picture from the front, showing him cradling the baby in his arms before getting upended

watzone
10-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Duke vs UNC Photo Galleries #1 https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.4413902799774.169932.1654929092&type=1 and #2 https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.4422219367683.170108.1654929092&type=1 are worth a look.

watzone
10-24-2012, 05:16 PM
http://youtu.be/UQ4CpRFBExU

Here is a video we just released from the big Duke win over North Carolina. You will want to hang around until the end of the game where we take you up close and personal to the situation. Great win, one that keeps giving.

moonpie23
10-24-2012, 06:28 PM
you like apples?

:cool:

wilson
10-24-2012, 07:03 PM
http://youtu.be/UQ4CpRFBExU

Here is a video we just released from the big Duke win over North Carolina. You will want to hang around until the end of the game where we take you up close and personal to the situation. Great win, one that keeps giving.Duke basketball has made me cry plenty of times, but this is the first time Duke football has pulled off the trick.

DukieInKansas
10-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Two thoughts. One, although I certainly didn't think it at the time, the Cockrell non-recovery might have been a blessing in disguise for us. It gave us over 3 minutes to mount a winning drive, whereas recovery of the fumble might have led to the more of the same conservative play and given the Heels time for one more attempt. It's moot, certainly, but it did give us the chance to tear their hearts out after they figured victory was theirs. And that leads to my second thought: I sure wish ESPNU had given us a shot or two of the Heels fans after the winning score. As much as I was celebrating, it would have made the celebration even sweeter to witness their misery.

But they did show the Victory Bell returning to the correct sideline and to the correct color! How sweet! So often you don't get to see post game celebrations.

watzone
10-26-2012, 03:47 PM
This is one that the fans, players and such will all remember. We have an unedited version too which is fabulous but long and a tad personal so we cut many parts out. If we get permission, we will run that one day. Now, let's make new videos.