PDA

View Full Version : ACC Media Day - Duke

Billy Dat
10-17-2012, 05:23 PM
I have been waiting for someone like Jim Sumner to post thoughts about media day - and maybe that's coming because it hasn't been concluded for very long, but I did hear something interesting amidst the coverage and tweets that have been emerging:

Andy Katz Interview with Coach K
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/65543/video-katz-with-mike-krzyzewski

K on Marshall Plumlee - "He was in our top 6 best players before he got hurt"

WOW - maybe the thought (mine and others) that he wasn't going to get much run this year was not on target.

Kedsy
10-17-2012, 05:38 PM
I have been waiting for someone like Jim Sumner to post thoughts about media day - and maybe that's coming because it hasn't been concluded for very long, but I did hear something interesting amidst the coverage and tweets that have been emerging:

Andy Katz Interview with Coach K
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/65543/video-katz-with-mike-krzyzewski

K on Marshall Plumlee - "He was in our top 6 best players before he got hurt"

WOW - maybe the thought (mine and others) that he wasn't going to get much run this year was not on target.

Yeah, that's a big surprise. Now we'll just have to see if he comes back from his injury ready to contribute or not, because a lot of times missing a long period with injury sets a youngster back. K also said that Tyler will be backing up all 3 perimeter positions (which may or may not be a statement about Rasheed's readiness). Somewhat ominous, however, was K saying he hoped Seth's injury didn't bother him all year. It never even occurred to me that Seth's injury was that serious. Yikes!

On the good side, I saw on twitter that Coach K said Quinn is quicker than he was before he got injured in high school and much stronger. Which if true would be excellent news.

Duvall
10-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Yeah, that's a big surprise. Now we'll just have to see if he comes back from his injury ready to contribute or not, because a lot of times missing a long period with injury sets a youngster back. K also said that Tyler will be backing up all 3 perimeter positions (which may or may not be a statement about Rasheed's readiness). Somewhat ominous, however, was K saying he hoped Seth's injury didn't bother him all year. It never even occurred to me that Seth's injury was that serious. Yikes!

Definintely concerning. But other comments from Krzyzewski and Mason seemed to suggest that Marshall's injury might end up being closer to the 4 week end of the 4-6 weeks.

Duvall
10-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Also, another preseason poll. (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205713856)

Duke picked to finish second, Mason picked as preseason All-ACC.

Olympic Fan
10-17-2012, 06:19 PM

On the good side, I saw on twitter that Coach K said Quinn is quicker than he was before he got injured in high school and much stronger. Which if true would be excellent news.

K's statement that MP3 was among Duke's six best players was a surprise.

As for your question about how much a setback his injury will turn out to be is valid ... Mason, who missed almost four weeks of preseason with a broken wrist his freshman year, was asked about that and suggested that it will have a lot less impact on his brother because he's a redshirt and doesn't have to learn the system and his place in it. It would be much more disruptive if he was a true freshman missing preseason.

K kind of agreed with that reasoning, pointing out that he and the team already know Marshall's place on the team ... and so does Marshall. He seemed to focus on the four-week timeframe too.

They are being very cagey about Seth's problem. He's going to continue to practice, but his status will be re-evuated every day. All that they'll say is it's a lower leg injury.

BD80
10-17-2012, 06:51 PM

It sounds like a six man rotation on the horizon (Alex sliding to the 4 when Ryan or Mason sit), with 7-12 totaling less than #6. Yikes. Hopefully, it means Tyler has stepped up his game in a big way from last year.

Olympic Fan
10-17-2012, 07:46 PM
It sounds like a six man rotation on the horizon (Alex sliding to the 4 when Ryan or Mason sit), with 7-12 totaling less than #6. Yikes. Hopefully, it means Tyler has stepped up his game in a big way from last year.

I don't see where this come from -- all it means is that Marshall is ahead of Jefferson and Hairston and our backup guards in the rotation. Why does that mean it's a six-man rotation?

Let's see ... K also said that Seth was in the top three -- I assumed that means the three seniors, who has repeatedly said are the heart of the team.

Four and five would seem to be Murphy and Cook (at least both are starting at the moment). That puts MP3 ahead of Suliamon and Thornton. I'm sure both will be in the rotation, and probably one of Jefferson and Hairston -- both until MP3 comes back.

I think it's a sign of how far MP3 has come along ... well, he is 7-foot, 240 and wants to be a true center. I think we could find a use for that.

Edouble
10-17-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't see where this come from -- all it means is that Marshall is ahead of Jefferson and Hairston and our backup guards in the rotation. Why does that mean it's a six-man rotation?

Let's see ... K also said that Seth was in the top three -- I assumed that means the three seniors, who has repeatedly said are the heart of the team.

Four and five would seem to be Murphy and Cook (at least both are starting at the moment). That puts MP3 ahead of Suliamon and Thornton. I'm sure both will be in the rotation, and probably one of Jefferson and Hairston -- both until MP3 comes back.

I think it's a sign of how far MP3 has come along ... well, he is 7-foot, 240 and wants to be a true center. I think we could find a use for that.

Yeah, I can't see Thornton not being a rotation player. Aside from being capable, he has long appeared to be a favorite of Coach K's. I do think that favoritism works its way into players getting burn. I really don't see Thornton not getting minutes.

That would make a rotation of at least 7 guys.

jimsumner
10-17-2012, 09:24 PM
All nine recruited players should play early. I can see one of Marshall, Hairston and Jefferson getting squeezed down the line. But maybe not. Duke only has 10 recruited players, only four of whom are guards.

K said today that he told the three seniors back in the spring that it was their team. He has consistently stated that they are his three best players.

K keeps saying that Mason is one of the nation's best players. Not can be, should be, might be. Is.

Kelly says he's worked on his inside game and has made rebounding a priority. But he's still a stretch 4. Completely, 100% healthy.

Lots of buzz about Murphy. It's one thing when fans compare Murphy to Singler but his teammates are doing the same thing. Murphy tells me he spent a lot of time working on his outside shot and is determined not to just be a slasher on offense.

Cook was never fully healthy last season. He is fully healthy this year. The difference should be significant. He'll start.

Look for Curry to play off the ball. K says Curry has improved his communication skills.

Hairston is up to 240. It looks like a good 240, unlike last season, when he seemed a tad doughy. To me, anyway.

Jefferson is long. Built like a beanpole. But long.

Sulaimon can be a defensive stopper. Great personality. Both freshman are bright and articulate. But you knew that.

The players rave about Rodney Hood. Just rave. K calls him a 6-8 guard.

More later.

OldPhiKap
10-17-2012, 09:43 PM
All nine recruited players should play early. I can see one of Marshall, Hairston and Jefferson getting squeezed down the line. But maybe not. Duke only has 10 recruited players, only four of whom are guards.

K said today that he told the three seniors back in the spring that it was their team. He has consistently stated that they are his three best players.

K keeps saying that Mason is one of the nation's best players. Not can be, should be, might be. Is.

Kelly says he's worked on his inside game and has made rebounding a priority. But he's still a stretch 4. Completely, 100% healthy.

Lots of buzz about Murphy. It's one thing when fans compare Murphy to Singler but his teammates are doing the same thing. Murphy tells me he spent a lot of time working on his outside shot and is determined not to just be a slasher on offense.

Cook was never fully healthy last season. He is fully healthy this year. The difference should be significant. He'll start.

Look for Curry to play off the ball. K says Curry has improved his communication skills.

Hairston is up to 240. It looks like a good 240, unlike last season, when he seemed a tad doughy. To me, anyway.

Sulaimon can be a defensive stopper. Great personality. Both freshman are bright and articulate. But you knew that.

More later.

Great report, thanks Jim. Any insight on Seth's condition?

jimsumner
10-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Great report, thanks Jim. Any insight on Seth's condition?

Curry seems to think it's minor and Duke did send him to Charlotte for today's ACC Media Day. Can't see that they would do that it they thought he would be impaired for any significant period of time.

OldPhiKap
10-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Curry seems to think it's minor and Duke did send him to Charlotte for today's ACC Media Day. Can't see that they would do that it they thought he would be impaired for any significant period of time.

Thanks, Jim. Seth is a big part of where this team goes this year. He had good game before, and would love to see him have a Nolan senior growth this year. As great as Ryan and Mason are, leadership on the perimeter is essential.

BD80
10-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Y... K also said that Tyler will be backing up all 3 perimeter positions (which may or may not be a statement about Rasheed's readiness). ... Yikes! ...

My concern is Tyler at the 3. If Tyler, at 6' 1", is backing up the 3, in addition to the guard spots, that doesn't say much for Sheed or Amile or Josh at the 3. As long as Ryan, Mason and Alex aren't in foul trouble, I don't see Josh or Amile much at the 4 and please not at the 5. My assumption is Alex being the preferred backup at the 4, based upon his height, his inclusion in the top 5, and the reports of his play during the summer - and Josh's play last year. I hope Josh has elevated his play to be a worthy rotation player at the 4.

I am very encouraged that MP3 was/is one of our top 6 players. 2 Plumlees and Ryan make a great 4/5 rotation. Upon his return, that's a solid 7 players. But if Tyler is still the best backup option at the 3, it tells me we won't see many more off the bench other than in mop up duty.

Kedsy
10-18-2012, 12:20 AM

More later.

This all sounds like good news. I really hope your spin on Seth's injury is the right one, because Coach K's pronouncements with Andy Katz sounded ominous.

Regarding the rotation, it sounds like you're thinking we'll have a 9-man rotation, but historically that's not K's style. We usually have 5 starters and a primary big sub and a primary perimeter sub, maybe an 8th guy, depending on personnel. I share BD80's fear that it might degenerate to a 6-man rotation, though it's hard to imagine Rasheed and his defensive reputation languishing on the bench. I take heart in the fact that when Seth couldn't go at Ft. Bragg, it was Rasheed who donned the white jersey, not Tyler. That suggests they'll both get time, and at least a 7-man rotation. But if both Tyler and Rasheed get decent minutes and Marshall is really one of our top 6 guys, as K said today, then it would strongly suggest an 8-man rotation, which would still mean both Josh and Amile essentially get shut out come January 1, despite both sounding like they're good enough to contribute. I suppose in the end quality depth down to the 10th man is a nice problem to have.

roywhite
10-18-2012, 07:07 AM

Hope you're right. Laura Keeley's comments in this piece in the Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/10/17/3603963/dukes-plumlee-blue-devils-have.html) were worrisome.

It remains to be seen, though, how much Curry will be able to play. An unspecified leg injury has limited him in practice, and Krzyzewski said it’s the type of injury that could be bothersome all season.

jimsumner
10-18-2012, 10:24 AM
This all sounds like good news. I really hope your spin on Seth's injury is the right one, because Coach K's pronouncements with Andy Katz sounded ominous.

Regarding the rotation, it sounds like you're thinking we'll have a 9-man rotation, but historically that's not K's style. We usually have 5 starters and a primary big sub and a primary perimeter sub, maybe an 8th guy, depending on personnel. I share BD80's fear that it might degenerate to a 6-man rotation, though it's hard to imagine Rasheed and his defensive reputation languishing on the bench. I take heart in the fact that when Seth couldn't go at Ft. Bragg, it was Rasheed who donned the white jersey, not Tyler. That suggests they'll both get time, and at least a 7-man rotation. But if both Tyler and Rasheed get decent minutes and Marshall is really one of our top 6 guys, as K said today, then it would strongly suggest an 8-man rotation, which would still mean both Josh and Amile essentially get shut out come January 1, despite both sounding like they're good enough to contribute. I suppose in the end quality depth down to the 10th man is a nice problem to have.

Nine players played at least 246 minutes last season, with Hairston at ninth. Nine played at least 303 in 2011, nine played at least 227 in 2010.

It is very tough to find seasons where ten guys got burn. 1998 is the closest example.

Curry told me last Friday and yesterday that he didn't think the leg injury would be significant. I assume he was being honest with me. Having no medical training and no recent stays in a Holiday Inn, I am unable to confirm or deny his opinion.

In other words, wait and see.

BD80
10-18-2012, 10:33 AM
... In other words, wait and see.

Before offering an opinion? That, sir, is NOT how the internet works.

OldPhiKap
10-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Curry told me last Friday and yesterday that he didn't think the leg injury would be significant. I assume he was being honest with me. Having no medical training and no recent stays in a Holiday Inn, I am unable to confirm or deny his opinion.

In other words, wait and see.

So, reading between the lines -- Seth is concerned that he will be hobbled for much of the year, and the chances for a national championship have gone down the drain?!?

Dang. I was just starting to get optimistic. May be time for a "Seth's Mysterious and Perhaps Semi-Phantom Pull the Other Leg Injury Vigil." The best vigils are the ones with no definitive beginning or end point. "Pointless," some may say.

(Thanks for the update as always, hope it is nothing that Seth cannot work through).

Kedsy
10-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Nine players played at least 246 minutes last season, with Hairston at ninth. Nine played at least 303 in 2011, nine played at least 227 in 2010.

Our difference seems to be in what constitutes "burn." Josh's 246 minutes in 34 games comes to 7.2 minutes a game. In the 18 games after January 1 and before Ryan got hurt, Josh only averaged 5.4 mpg, and much of that came in garbage time. In my opinion that doesn't count as being in the rotation.

Similarly, Ryan Kelly's 227 minutes in 2010 come out to 5.7 mpg. After January 1, he averaged 3.8 mpg in 24 games, not once playing double-figure minutes. In 2011, Kyrie was the guy with 303. If Kyrie had been healthy, Tyler Thornton would have gotten a lot less than his 337 minutes, meaning again we wouldn't have had a 9th guy playing meaningful minutes.

This season, once Marshall is healthy, I assume all 10 guys will play in the early games against lesser competition, though it remains to be seen how much the bottom of the rotation plays against, e.g., Kentucky, Ohio State, Louisville. It's possible over the course of the season the 9th guy will get 250 minutes, especially considering our injuries. When the calendar shifts to 2013, however, based on Coach K's history, absent injury I expect the bottom two on the depth chart to be pretty much relegated to end-of-game blowouts.

jimsumner
10-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Our difference seems to be in what constitutes "burn." Josh's 246 minutes in 34 games comes to 7.2 minutes a game. In the 18 games after January 1 and before Ryan got hurt, Josh only averaged 5.4 mpg, and much of that came in garbage time. In my opinion that doesn't count as being in the rotation.

Similarly, Ryan Kelly's 227 minutes in 2010 come out to 5.7 mpg. After January 1, he averaged 3.8 mpg in 24 games, not once playing double-figure minutes. In 2011, Kyrie was the guy with 303. If Kyrie had been healthy, Tyler Thornton would have gotten a lot less than his 337 minutes, meaning again we wouldn't have had a 9th guy playing meaningful minutes.

This season, once Marshall is healthy, I assume all 10 guys will play in the early games against lesser competition, though it remains to be seen how much the bottom of the rotation plays against, e.g., Kentucky, Ohio State, Louisville. It's possible over the course of the season the 9th guy will get 250 minutes, especially considering our injuries. When the calendar shifts to 2013, however, based on Coach K's history, absent injury I expect the bottom two on the depth chart to be pretty much relegated to end-of-game blowouts.

Seven minutes isn't a lot, especially for a prep A-A. But a good seven minutes can help win a game, a lousy seven minutes can help lose a game.

The four guards are going to play. Murphy is going to play. Mason and Kelly are going to play. That leaves Jefferson, Hairston and Mason competing for what's left. The injury to Marshall gives Jefferson and Hairston an opportunity to make their case.

Josh has the most experience of the three. But Marshall is one of only two pure fives on the roster, while Jefferson makes more sense (to me, anyway) as the backup 3. So, I'm not sure how this plays out.

Starter
10-18-2012, 02:54 PM
In terms of Marshall Plumlee's possible contributions this season, I mean, I have to be a little skeptical. This time last year, Alex Murphy was supposedly a potential starter. He ended up redshirting, despite an obvious definitive need for a small forward who provided the things he most likely does. Marshall's injury would presumably set him back at least as much, if not more. It's a different scenario, since they can't redshirt him, I just wonder if we end up seeing a whole lot more of Hairston this year if Krzyzewski decides he has a comfort level with him based on his two years of being an active player in his system.

luvdahops
10-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Seven minutes isn't a lot, especially for a prep A-A. But a good seven minutes can help win a game, a lousy seven minutes can help lose a game.

The four guards are going to play. Murphy is going to play. Mason and Kelly are going to play. That leaves Jefferson, Hairston and Mason competing for what's left. The injury to Marshall gives Jefferson and Hairston an opportunity to make their case.

Josh has the most experience of the three. But Marshall is one of only two pure fives on the roster, while Jefferson makes more sense (to me, anyway) as the backup 3. So, I'm not sure how this plays out.

I would add that Marshall being among the Top 6 players is not the same thing as being among the Top 6 in mpg once the season begins. I wouldn't expect to see Mason and Marshall on the floor together much, if at all, this year. So if Mason logs 30-32 mpg, that means a max of 8-10 mpg for Marshall. My money is still on Amile to emerge as the "3rd big", in the sense of the reserve frontcourt player who logs the most mpg.

jimsumner
10-18-2012, 03:13 PM
In terms of Marshall Plumlee's possible contributions this season, I mean, I have to be a little skeptical. This time last year, Alex Murphy was supposedly a potential starter. He ended up redshirting, despite an obvious definitive need for a small forward who provided the things he most likely does. Marshall's injury would presumably set him back at least as much, if not more. It's a different scenario, since they can't redshirt him, I just wonder if we end up seeing a whole lot more of Hairston this year if Krzyzewski decides he has a comfort level with him based on his two years of being an active player in his system.

Josh may very well be a better option as the backup 5 then Marshall. He'll likely have a few games to prove that before Marshall is 100%.

We also have to think about next year. One of Marshall, Hairston, Jefferson (hello weight room, I'm Amile), or a true freshman will have to start at the 5 next season. Duke could be mind-bogglingly awesome at the other four spots next season but somebody is going to have to do the dirty work inside and this season is a good time to start getting ready, even if much of that work is done on the practice side of things.

BD80
10-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Josh may very well be a better option as the backup 5 then Marshall. ...

It's over

:rolleyes:

I hope Josh has made such an incredible leap, but I guess I'll wait and see before offering an opinion.

ChillinDuke
10-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Josh may very well be a better option as the backup 5 then Marshall. He'll likely have a few games to prove that before Marshall is 100%.

We also have to think about next year. One of Marshall, Hairston, Jefferson (hello weight room, I'm Amile), or a true freshman will have to start at the 5 next season. Duke could be mind-bogglingly awesome at the other four spots next season but somebody is going to have to do the dirty work inside and this season is a good time to start getting ready, even if much of that work is done on the practice side of things.

Jim, I have an honest question. In your many years of following the ACC and Duke in particular, have you ever heard a pessimistic opinion in the preseason by Coach K? Basically, I'm echoing Starter's point above. I can't remember (although that's not saying much since I'm also not sure what day it is) Coach K ever saying anything in the preseason resembling "Mehh, I don't know that we progressed enough in the offseason. Our SG isn't hitting his shots. I really wish we had 25 more lbs on the interior..."

I'm not saying he's being disingenuous. And I'm also not at all a glass-half-empty guy. I just can't remember an example of that. Which leads me to think he's either always (or often) trying to give his players/team confidence or he's just that damn awesome at developing his teams. ...Or we should temper our expectations slightly.

The main reason I ask is because your quick write-up on the team was pretty fantastic to read (every player, across the board) and, frankly, better than I was expecting.

- Chillin

jimsumner
10-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Jim, I have an honest question. In your many years of following the ACC and Duke in particular, have you ever heard a pessimistic opinion in the preseason by Coach K? Basically, I'm echoing Starter's point above. I can't remember (although that's not saying much since I'm also not sure what day it is) Coach K ever saying anything in the preseason resembling "Mehh, I don't know that we progressed enough in the offseason. Our SG isn't hitting his shots. I really wish we had 25 more lbs on the interior..."

I'm not saying he's being disingenuous. And I'm also not at all a glass-half-empty guy. I just can't remember an example of that. Which leads me to think he's either always (or often) trying to give his players/team confidence or he's just that damn awesome at developing his teams. ...Or we should temper our expectations slightly.

The main reason I ask is because your quick write-up on the team was pretty fantastic to read (every player, across the board) and, frankly, better than I was expecting.

- Chillin

Not trying to be a smart-you-know what but they're all optimistic this time of year. I went to the women's media day Tuesday and the men's Wednesday. Every single coach and every single player is excited as all get out, every single player is improved and this world is the best-of-all-possible worlds. Half of the teams should be 15-3 in conference play, the other half 12-6.

I asked Mark Gottfried which of his players had improved since last season and his response was "all of them."

Of course, it has to be this way. Who wants to hear their head coach go "we're short, slow, inexperienced and can't shoot a lick?" "We'll be lucky to win 10 games."

That said, K does have some reason to be optimistic. He does have a bit of a track record. I do sometimes wonder how much his West Point training plays into this. Got a problem? Work the problem, find a solution, get it done. No excuses.

And to be sure, he can and will be candid. This time last year he was telling us that he was sure his team could score but he didn't know if they could defend. Turned out to be a pretty accurate assessment. He will tell you when things aren't as he would wish.

MChambers
10-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Not trying to be a smart-you-know what but they're all optimistic this time of year. I went to the women's media day Tuesday and the men's Wednesday. Every single coach and every single player is excited as all get out, every single player is improved and this world is the best-of-all-possible worlds. Half of the teams should be 15-3 in conference play, the other half 12-6.

I asked Mark Gottfried which of his players had improved since last season and his response was "all of them."

Of course, it has to be this way. Who wants to hear their head coach go "we're short, slow, inexperienced and can't shoot a lick?" "We'll be lucky to win 10 games."

That said, K does have some reason to be optimistic. He does have a bit of a track record. I do sometimes wonder how much his West Point training plays into this. Got a problem? Work the problem, find a solution, get it done. No excuses.

And to be sure, he can and will be candid. This time last year he was telling us that he was sure his team could score but he didn't know if they could defend. Turned out to be a pretty accurate assessment. He will tell you when things aren't as he would wish.
The best coaches, at least, are this way. Why not try to give your players confidence? Living in DC, I was struck this year by some of the similarities between Coach K and Davey Johnson. Give your players confidence. Adapt your system to their talents. Be decisive. Use statistics, but not to the exclusion of your gut feelings. Seems to work pretty well.

OldPhiKap
10-19-2012, 09:02 AM
The last time I recall K saying that we were not up to the challenge was right before the Vegas rematch in 1991. Ali could not have rope-a-doped better than K did that week.

gumbomoop
10-19-2012, 10:18 AM
The last time I recall K saying that we were not up to the challenge was right before the Vegas rematch in 1991. Ali could not have rope-a-doped better than K did that week.

Glad you brought this up, as it led me to remember a different comment, and one I think relevant to this [or actually any] season. I remember Brian Davis saying something like, "My guys won't back down," which I took to mean, "UNLV looks and plays tough; we don't look so tough, but we play tough, and we'll play them tough." Which, in the event, Duke surely did. Relentlessly, or close to it.

I value relentlessness, physical and mental. Who's relentless on this team, especially among the seniors?

BD80
10-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Glad you brought this up, as it led me to remember a different comment, and one I think relevant to this [or actually any] season. I remember Brian Davis saying something like, "My guys won't back down," which I took to mean, "UNLV looks and plays tough; we don't look so tough, but we play tough, and we'll play them tough." Which, in the event, Duke surely did. Relentlessly, or close to it.

I value relentlessness, physical and mental. Who's relentless on this team, especially among the seniors?

Ryan Kelly better be, at least if he is still dating Bill Cowher's daughter.

jimsumner
10-19-2012, 11:16 AM

Yep. Classic. K told his team that he was going to play down their chances against Vegas in public comments, while behind closed doors telling and showing them exactly how they would beat them. It was a masterful job.

MCFinARL
10-19-2012, 12:18 PM

In Lake Wobegon, all of the children are above average. :) That being said, some of them ARE above average, and some of these coaches have to be, at least partly, right. Let's hope Coach K is one of them.

Based on what he has been saying, Mason really wants to be that guy--wants this to be his team, and wants to stay fully engaged through every play of every game. If he can really do it, I'm pretty excited about where this team could go.