PDA

View Full Version : Bold Prediction for Duke Football

CrazyNotCrazie
10-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Scroll down a bit to see a very positive prediction for the football team from a reputable source:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/10/16/midseason-crystal-ball/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a0

The Blue Devils will shake off their ill-fated upset attempt at Virginia Tech to take the Coastal Division, make an appearance in the ACC Championship Game (where, presumably, they will not face current Atlantic leader Maryland, but boy howdy, have we ever been wrong about the ACC before) and earn a respectable bowl bid.

mkline09
10-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Scroll down a bit to see a very positive prediction for the football team from a reputable source:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/10/16/midseason-crystal-ball/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a0

The Blue Devils will shake off their ill-fated upset attempt at Virginia Tech to take the Coastal Division, make an appearance in the ACC Championship Game (where, presumably, they will not face current Atlantic leader Maryland, but boy howdy, have we ever been wrong about the ACC before) and earn a respectable bowl bid.

I love the prediction but it is very bold. I'd settle for beating the muddy feet this week and getting victory number 6. One game at a time and who knows what happens.

budwom
10-17-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm thinking the operative word here is "delusional." But give me that sixth win and I'll be thrilled.

OldPhiKap
10-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Ozzie must've hacked the dude's account and posted that himself.

I doubt the password had 9F in it, though.

wilson
10-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Ozzie must've hacked the dude's account and posted that himself.

I doubt the password had 9F in it, though.It's actually a dudette (Holly Anderson). But yeah, you're probably right.

Olympic Fan
10-17-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm as optimistic as anybody, but that's nothing short of delusional.

Try to look at it rationally -- to have even an outside shot at the title game, we would have to beat UNC, Miami and Georgia Tech (and I suspect we'll be underdogs in all of them) AND get a split from Florida State and Clemson.

That would be 6-2 in the ACC. I don't have time to go through all the permutations, but at 5-3, there's just no way that's good enough. It's possible that 5-2 won't do it either, but at least it's possible.

Honestly, I don't think there is a chance in the world Duke beats either FSU or Clemson. And while I do think Duke could win 1 or 2 of the UNC, GTech and Miami games, I'd be stunned if Duke sweeps all three.

Right now, I'd be deliriously happy with a 4-4 ACC finish -- 7-5 overall. I'd ve VERY, VERY happy with a 3-5 ACC finish and 6-6.

And I'll be happy if Duke slips through that NCAA loophole that could allow them to go to a bowl at 5-7, if it comes to that

Duvall
10-17-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm as optimistic as anybody, but that's nothing short of delusional.

Try to look at it rationally -- to have even an outside shot at the title game, we would have to beat UNC, Miami and Georgia Tech (and I suspect we'll be underdogs in all of them) AND get a split from Florida State and Clemson.

That would be 6-2 in the ACC. I don't have time to go through all the permutations, but at 5-3, there's just no way that's good enough.

I don't know if I would say that it's not possible. If Virginia Tech were to lose at Clemson, at Miami and to Florida State (not impossible), that would put them at 4-4. (Virginia Tech really needs to win at Miami in two weeks!) Miami losses to Florida State and at Duke would put them at no better than 5-3, with the tiebreaker going to Duke, which would allow Duke to take the division with wins over UNC, Georgia Tech and Miami and losses at Florida State and to Clemson.

Of course, that's easier said than done.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Whatever the probabilities are, I'm excited that Duke was even mentioned in such a discussion. Being included in the discussion is a sign of the rise from the ashes...... or the dark pit.... which our program had fallen into.

It's not been that long since Duke was mentioned every Saturday for having added another loss to the then longest loosing streak in the country.