PDA

View Full Version : Coach Cal on First Take

Dukehky
10-17-2012, 11:05 AM
So Coach Calipari was just on First Take, he literally spoke the whole time and didn't let those two crazy people Skip and Stephen A, and it might be the best recruiting pitch I've ever heard of. It's on live tv and he's locking up more and more recruits, I hate it, but it's so good.

He seemed so genuine. He repeatedly said that it was his goal to get kids in the NBA, and if they win titles, that's great. He would rather have talent then experience. Kentucky the school is going to be there 50 years in the future but his goal is to change family's lives, and the way to do that is to prepare them for the NBA.

Did he break some rules at his previous schools? Probably. Did he break some rules when he started at Kentucky? No clue, wouldn't surprise me. But I feel like Kentucky is on such a role, he doesn't have to do anything except say what he's been saying.

Please move this if it is in the wrong place, or erase it if it's irrelevant, please tell me it's irrelevant because it scares me, stupid Calipari.

Native
10-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Anyone who can shut up Skip and Stephen A, even if it's Cal, begrudgingly gains at least a notch in my book.

Congrats, Cal. You're now on notch number -5,984. Hope it's comfortable down there.

Chicago 1995
10-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Anyone who can shut up Skip and Stephen A, even if it's Cal, begrudgingly gains at least a notch in my book.

Congrats, Cal. You're now on notch number -5,984. Hope it's comfortable down there.

Yes. He (probably) cheats, and I think he still cheats at Kentucky. Because it is in in his nature.

I gained a ton of respect for Cal, at least on the court, last year. That team was exceptionally well coached and really played outstanding basketball. They were a joy to watch and the only thing that made them hard at all to root for was that "Kentucky" was across the front of those uniforms. He handled everything about as well as you could last year.

I also think you've got to have a bit of begrudging respect for what he's doing in terms of recruiting and how he's shaped the UK brand. Yes, I think he's cheating still, but he's made UK the coolest college basketball brand I can ever remember. Far cooler than even the Fab Five made Michigan. I think you have to tip your hat to him. There are lots of programs engaged in the same shady stuff that Cal does, but none of them are doing it this well. I don't think it's just that UK has deeper pockets. His pitch and the way he's built that program is impressive. We may not like what he sells, but he's making the best of the system the NCAA and NBA have created.

Dirty, but I don't think he's the great Satan.

Billy Dat
10-17-2012, 12:19 PM
So Coach Calipari was just on First Take, he literally spoke the whole time and didn't let those two crazy people Skip and Stephen A, and it might be the best recruiting pitch I've ever heard of. It's on live tv and he's locking up more and more recruits, I hate it, but it's so good.

He seemed so genuine. He repeatedly said that it was his goal to get kids in the NBA, and if they win titles, that's great. He would rather have talent then experience. Kentucky the school is going to be there 50 years in the future but his goal is to change family's lives, and the way to do that is to prepare them for the NBA.

Did he break some rules at his previous schools? Probably. Did he break some rules when he started at Kentucky? No clue, wouldn't surprise me. But I feel like Kentucky is on such a role, he doesn't have to do anything except say what he's been saying.

Please move this if it is in the wrong place, or erase it if it's irrelevant, please tell me it's irrelevant because it scares me, stupid Calipari.

I saw a quick snip preview of the All Access UK show that is starting tonight, presumably the reason for today's media appearance. The guy was running from private plane to private plane talking the talk you quoted above. As we've said in other threads, the guy is a rock star and the first college coach to really crack the recruiting code since the 19 year old, one year removed from college rules came into effect. For a one and done kid, it's a very very tough pitch to turn down.

gam7
10-17-2012, 01:44 PM
I saw a quick snip preview of the All Access UK show that is starting tonight, presumably the reason for today's media appearance. The guy was running from private plane to private plane talking the talk you quoted above. As we've said in other threads, the guy is a rock star and the first college coach to really crack the recruiting code since the 19 year old, one year removed from college rules came into effect. For a one and done kid, it's a very very tough pitch to turn down.

Cal is certainly an engaging personality. A few thoughts:

1. His pitch completely disregards the concept of the “student-athlete,” which, for one-and-dones, is a complete fallacy anyway. He’s tailored his pitch to align 100% with most one-and-dones’ singular goal of getting to the NBA after a year. There’s nothing wrong with that, and why wouldn’t you want to go play for someone who says what he wants ultimately is precisely what you want?

2. Here’s why: the Jabari Parker Caveat. There are other ways to help kids and in Cal’s words “change families’ lives” other than getting them into the NBA (which Cal himself really has nothing to do with – the same talented players going to UK and same ones that appeal to NBA GMs in the first place). You can help them by providing (and pitching to them) an environment where they can learn things that will help them handle life in the NBA and afterwards. You can provide them an opportunity to experience being a part of a college community (“unpacking one’s bags”). These are not mutually exclusive with being a one-and-done. Again, nothing wrong with going with someone whose interests are aligned with your immediate interests, but many players (many of which are probably less talented , but also some one-and-dones) will be interested in “changing their families’ lives” in these other, less immediately gratifying ways. These kids would be more likely to go to schools like Duke, UNC, Colgate and many other schools.

3. If Cal truly believes in and lives by his pitch, then anybody, including UK fans, should be shocked if he does NOT break NCAA rules (not to mention his past transgressions). The NCAA’s authority is based entirely on the concept of the “student-athlete,” which does not really apply to one-and-dones. Taking Cal at his word, he’ll act in his players’ interests over the interests of the institutions of the NCAA, or even of UK when push comes to shove.

4. I wonder if UK fans and administration wince a bit when they hear that pitch that does not mention anything about UK. It’s about playing for Cal, period. I’m sure they like watching the talent play with their colors on. Who wouldn’t? “But, the history of the school has a lot to do with these guys’ decisions,” they might say. A lot of schools have history. This has little to do with UK. It’s about playing for Cal. And Cal’s allegiance is to the players, not the school.

ohiodukefan
10-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Cal and Kentucky is at where Duke was at in the late 90's and early 00's. The national brand is so great every big time player wants to go there and Cal can pick and choose the players he wants. Much the way K did with the Elton, Burgess, Battier, James, Avery class of `1998 and followed that up with the Jason Williams, Dunleavy, Boozer, Sanders class of 2000. We continued to get highly thought of McDonald's all-American players for years after that but some that came here did not turn out to be the players everyone thought they would be (remember the JJ, Shav, Shelden, Dockery, Melchionni and Thompson class? What did they nickname them, the Super Six?) We can only hope some of these UK kids don't turn out be be great college players the last couple classes have been once they get to Lexington. He's got to miss on a couple over time, right?? They can't all be first round picks.

Chicago 1995
10-17-2012, 01:59 PM

I wonder if UK fans and administration wince a bit when they hear that pitch that does not mention anything about UK. ...

They care about wins and banners and its all they've every cared about.

Jderf
10-17-2012, 02:27 PM
There are lots of programs engaged in the same shady stuff that Cal does, but none of them are doing it this well.

Ah, the Lance Armstrong defense. Sure, everybody in the sport is cheating, but no one does it as well as we do!

That said, I think Cal mostly gets a bad rap around here. The vilification can reach some pretty ridiculous levels sometimes.

-bdbd
10-17-2012, 04:56 PM

1. His pitch completely disregards the concept of the “student-athlete,” which, for one-and-dones, is a complete fallacy anyway. He’s tailored his pitch to align 100% with most one-and-dones’ singular goal of getting to the NBA after a year. There’s nothing wrong with that, and why wouldn’t you want to go play for someone who says what he wants ultimately is precisely what you want?

2. Here’s why: the Jabari Parker Caveat. There are other ways to help kids and in Cal’s words “change families’ lives” other than getting them into the NBA (which Cal himself really has nothing to do with – the same talented players going to UK and same ones that appeal to NBA GMs in the first place). You can help them by providing (and pitching to them) an environment where they can learn things that will help them handle life in the NBA and afterwards. You can provide them an opportunity to experience being a part of a college community (“unpacking one’s bags”). These are not mutually exclusive with being a one-and-done. Again, nothing wrong with going with someone whose interests are aligned with your immediate interests, but many players (many of which are probably less talented , but also some one-and-dones) will be interested in “changing their families’ lives” in these other, less immediately gratifying ways. These kids would be more likely to go to schools like Duke, UNC, Colgate and many other schools.

3. If Cal truly believes in and lives by his pitch, then anybody, including UK fans, should be shocked if he does NOT break NCAA rules (not to mention his past transgressions). The NCAA’s authority is based entirely on the concept of the “student-athlete,” which does not really apply to one-and-dones. Taking Cal at his word, he’ll act in his players’ interests over the interests of the institutions of the NCAA, or even of UK when push comes to shove.

4. I wonder if UK fans and administration wince a bit when they hear that pitch that does not mention anything about UK. It’s about playing for Cal, period. I’m sure they like watching the talent play with their colors on. Who wouldn’t? “But, the history of the school has a lot to do with these guys’ decisions,” they might say. A lot of schools have history. This has little to do with UK. It’s about playing for Cal. And Cal’s allegiance is to the players, not the school.

Gam7 - I agree with about 90% of what you said. 1. Yes, his pitch is completely targeted at 1-and-dones, to the extent that I've wondered why any non-one-and-dones (and there still a few that seep in at KY) would want to go there, or why their parents would want it. To play (or at least to practice?!) with a championship team?? But how does Cal shift gears to get those 3-4 year supporting players to come?
2. Also agree, that there are going to be many players that are looking more than a year of pre-NBA prep work -- something akin to a family experience, getting a real education if, God-forbid BB doesn't work out, etc., etc. But I suspect that there's going to be enough top-flight kids with stars in their eyes, focused solely (or at least almost exclusively) at getting to pay-for-play.
3. This is the point I'm a little queazy committing to... Playing to the one-and-dones doesn't axiomatically mean one must therefore cheat. Also, focusing on the player's interests and "changing family's lives" doesn't require cheating either. In theory, the NCAA, while focused more on the "student athlete," in general, doesn't see itself as not also serving those one-and-done kids. There's nothing inherently wrong with fcusing on taking care of one's players - I could see many coaches making that sort of statement, and they aren't perceived as shady as Calipari. The nuance in there is, IS CALIPARI REALLY INTERESTED IN HELPING THESE KIDS AND THEIR FAMILIES, or is that just a pitch to get them to come play for him so he can win a championship utilizing their labor? What happens if/when one of these studs has a significant injury and can no longer help Calipari win championships? Does he still then go to the same extent to help them and their families?? My suspicion is maybe he does so, at least in public (don't want to scare off future recruits), but what happens behind the scenes would be more telling...
4. I've had the same thought many times when talking to UK fan/grad friends? "Does it make you proud, or sad, that he is predicating this success on virtually nothing from the university, and that UK has become just a pre-NBA prep-school for NBA-destined 19-year-olds?" The "student" part of student-athlete is clearly a charade, or at least an afterthought. To a man the response has always been, "We're ok with it." But I've never heard anyone claim to be PROUD of it, and usually more of a quietly shrugged response, akin to "the ends justifes the means..."

In the end, I've seen this Calipari pitch in business too. He is selling these kids on his "sharing" their dream, and "wanting what they want," IOW a fast route to the NBA. They can read into that that KY is the place where they are best served. But is it really? Just b/c Calipari sells that line, or "focuses" on the one-and-dones, does NOT mean that they are necessarily best served by going there or with him. I just hope most can see through the sales pitch.

Turtleboy
10-17-2012, 05:04 PM
We continued to get highly thought of McDonald's all-American players for years after that but some that came here did not turn out to be the players everyone thought they would be (remember the JJ, Shav, Shelden, Dockery, Melchionni and Thompson class? What did they nickname them, the Super Six?)I don't know. I'll take two retired jerseys a class all day long.

roywhite
10-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Gam7 - I agree with about 90% of what you said. 1. Yes, his pitch is completely targeted at 1-and-dones, to the extent that I've wondered why any non-one-and-dones (and there still a few that seep in at KY) would want to go there, or why their parents would want it. To play (or at leat practice?!) with a championship team?? But how does Cal shift gears to get those 3-4 year supporting players to come?

Here's where the fervent following of the Big Blue in the Commonwealth comes in.

There are Kentucky kids who grew up idolizing the Wildcats that are dying to play there, even if it's in a supporting role. Now, it got a little ugly for Calipari when he first arrived and chased off some loyal scholarship players who didn't fit his plans (have we forgotten that about Calipari by the way?) but he is able to supplement the one-and-dones with some local guys, both as walk-ons and occasionally as scholarship players.