PDA

View Full Version : Tim Burton dismissed

jimsumner
10-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Will the last Duke DB please remember to turn off the lights?

From Duke press release.

"Duke redshirt freshman cornerback Tim Burton has been dismissed from the team for violation of program policy, head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Tuesday.

A native of Hollywood, Fla., Burton played in Duke’s first seven games of the year and registered seven total tackles and a pair of pass breakups. He also returned 13 kickoffs for 260 yards for a 20.0 yards per return average."

DukeSean
10-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Will the last Duke DB please remember to turn off the lights?

From Duke press release.

"Duke redshirt freshman cornerback Tim Burton has been dismissed from the team for violation of program policy, head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Tuesday.

A native of Hollywood, Fla., Burton played in Duke’s first seven games of the year and registered seven total tackles and a pair of pass breakups. He also returned 13 kickoffs for 260 yards for a 20.0 yards per return average."

well, that's really disappointing. But at least Cutcliffe is willing to do the right thing, even during the hunt for a bowl game.

devildeac
10-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Oh, %$#@. Do we get Chris Tavarez back this weekend? Will he be able to contribute if we do? How/what is Lee Butler's status?

Olympic Fan
10-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Bigger long-term blow than short-term blow.

In Cockrell, Butler and Foster, we have three CBs who are better at the moment,

But Butler and Foster are fifth-year seniors. Cockrell is a fourth-year junior.

Burton is our best young cornerback prospect. He was probably in line to start with Cockrell next season. With his departure, that means that we either move a safety down to corner (Can Dwayne Norman do that?) or go with somebody who has never played. I guess we get Jared Boyd back -- he still hasn't played a snap -- but he's not the athlete Burton is. Maybe Devon Edwards will be the guy?

OldPhiKap
10-16-2012, 10:42 PM
well, that's really disappointing. But at least Cutcliffe is willing to do the right thing, even during the hunt for a bowl game.

Agreed and agreed.

Best of luck to Tim.

DukeFanSince1990
10-17-2012, 12:09 AM
You could say this was a "Nightmare Before Christmas"...:D....huh?.....huh?.....eh, sorry...:(

Bob Green
10-17-2012, 05:13 AM
Bigger long-term blow than short-term blow.

I guess we get Jared Boyd back -- he still hasn't played a snap -- but he's not the athlete Burton is. Maybe Devon Edwards will be the guy?

Agreed this is a bigger long-term blow. It probably forces Devon Edwards into the same situation Ross Cockrell faced a couple of years ago, being a starter as a redshirt freshman. We have a couple of 2013 verbal commits who are cornerbacks so we could see one of them forced into early action.

My short-term question is: who becomes our primary kick-off returner? It scares hell out of me everytime I see Conner Vernon return a punt so I hope it isn't him. He is our MVP and we cannot afford to lose him to an injury on Special Teams. Perhaps this is an opportunity for Shaquille Powell to see more action. Corey Gattis is another possibility. The loss of depth really affects the Special Teams.

Reilly
10-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Hasn't Jela been returning some kickoffs? If this dismissal gives him more touches, that's a positive.

DukeSean
10-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Agreed this is a bigger long-term blow. It probably forces Devon Edwards into the same situation Ross Cockrell faced a couple of years ago, being a starter as a redshirt freshman. We have a couple of 2013 verbal commits who are cornerbacks so we could see one of them forced into early action.

It seems that Evrett Edwards is a really solid CB prospect for the 2013 class. I just hope he does sign with Duke, a lot of big-time programs sniffing around him.

Even as talented as Edwards might be, I don't think anyone would like to thrust him into a Ross Cockrell freshman situation

Greg_Newton
10-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Burton is our best young cornerback prospect. He was probably in line to start with Cockrell next season. With his departure, that means that we either move a safety down to corner (Can Dwayne Norman do that?) or go with somebody who has never played. I guess we get Jared Boyd back -- he still hasn't played a snap -- but he's not the athlete Burton is. Maybe Devon Edwards will be the guy?

I've been wondering what the deal with Boyd is. He was one of our most touted recruits (5.6 Rivals 3-star, offers from Stanford, Ole Miss, Vandy, GT, many more), and is listed as having almost comparable speed to Burton. Any reports on whether he could return? Has he not impressed as much as Burton since arriving at Duke?

jimsumner
10-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Short-term? Duke has four healthy, recruited corners who have any experience. Cockrell, Butler, Foster and Garrett Patterson. Patterson is a redshirt junior. Not sure if he comes back for his 5th year but his value does seem to have gone up a tad. But he's not an ACC-caliber starter.

Boyd redshirted last year so he might as well play this season when and if he can. Duke sure would like to keep Edwards on the sidelines. But any more attrition at corner might force Cut's hand.

Long-term? I think Duke will have to make some position changes, especially if Patterson graduates and moves on. Cash, Braxton, Norman, Tavarez, Young-Wiseman, McCarthy and Westray are recruited safeties who should be on next season's roster. All but Westray have played, although McCarthy was injured early enough to qualify for a medical redshirt. Not sure who moves but someone likely has to.

Many WRs also played DB in high school. But Duke won't have a lot of experienced WRs next season either, so I'm not sure it makes sense to move someone from WR to corner.

Duke will have all spring and all fall to figure this out. But there's one less piece to the puzzle and that's not good.

A great opportunity for a talented true freshman to come in and get early and significant PT next season.

Kewlswim
10-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Hi,

I know it isn't optimal, but has there been any thought to having a player or two go both ways until we can get the situation at DB all figured out (ie more recruits :cool: )? I like what Coach Cut is doing here. I hate what it does (short-term) to the team. Those prior two statements are not mutually exclusive. I hope, unless it is cheating or something like that where the university has to step in, that he is allowed to remain at Duke.

GO DUKE! GTHC!

JasonEvans
10-18-2012, 10:28 PM
You could say this was a "Nightmare Before Christmas"...:D....huh?.....huh?.....eh, sorry...:(

Yeah, I saw this thread title and thought, "Why now? I dismissed him about 5 films ago."

You would think our Burton would think of maybe changing his name a bit when he shared it with someone so famous. I mean, couldn't he be Timothy Burton or "TJ" Burton (assuming his middle name was James) or just Tim "TB" Burton (if his middle name did not work)?

Somewhere out there, there are probably scores of women who stopped calling themselves Katy and instead switched to Kate or Kathy or Kathryn or Kathleen... all because their last name was Perry.

-Jason "I know a guy who used to be Will Smith and now goes by William... he hated the jokes" Evans

OldPhiKap
10-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Yeah, I saw this thread title and thought, "Why now? I dismissed him about 5 films ago."

You would think our Burton would think of maybe changing his name a bit when he shared it with someone so famous. I mean, couldn't he be Timothy Burton or "TJ" Burton (assuming his middle name was James) or just Tim "TB" Burton (if his middle name did not work)?

Somewhere out there, there are probably scores of women who stopped calling themselves Katy and instead switched to Kate or Kathy or Kathryn or Kathleen... all because their last name was Perry.

-Jason "I know a guy who used to be Will Smith and now goes by William... he hated the jokes" Evans

Or Jason Williams having to change his name to Jay.

Not to veer off topic, but I could not help but thinking about Michael Bolton in Office Space. I celebrate his whole catalogue . . .

wgl1228
10-19-2012, 01:22 PM
He must have thought he was a Big Fish that could do anything he wanted.

brevity
10-19-2012, 01:30 PM

Ah, hell naw! Some people must be wondering why Roger Goodell keeps targeting one of their favorite actors in the Saints bounty scandal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Smith_%28American_football%29

Even if it weren't fictional, the Michael Bolton thing is a coincidence and completely unavoidable. But Tim Burton (the director) was a known quantity in 1994. I don't get it.

davekay1971
10-19-2012, 08:48 PM
I recently met Betty Crocker. When I told her I really enjoyed her brownies, she looked at me like I was a slug on a piece of lettuce.

As for our football Burton, I trust in Cut and support that he'll lose a good athlete to maintain integrity. Paging UNC...

ForkFondler
10-19-2012, 09:18 PM
I recently met Betty Crocker. When I told her I really enjoyed her brownies, she looked at me like I was a slug on a piece of lettuce.

hmmm.... escargot