PDA

View Full Version : NC State first in first annual ACC Men's Basketball Coaches Poll

Duvall
10-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Duke second, UNC third. (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101512aad.html) Mason picked for preseason 1st-team All-ACC.

Is it time for an NC State Preseason Expectations Vigil?

BlueDevilBrowns
10-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Duke second, UNC third. (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101512aad.html) Mason picked for preseason 1st-team All-ACC.

Is it time for an NC State Preseason Expectations Vigil?

I would love to know who voted UNC #1? On what basis could you possibly vote them ahead of State or Duke at this point? Also, State has some HUGE expectations to live up to now. Leslie Preseason Player of the Year, Purvis Rookie of the Year, and Preseason #1 and Final 4 Contender - that's alot of pressure for a team that has had none for years.

I like Duke's chances for finishing #1 in the conference, getting perhaps 2 players on the 1st team, and Rasheed being in the running for ROY.

Bluedog
10-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Coach K said during media day that he thinks making the coaches predict the season standings is a bit silly and he'd rather not do it. Especially since he doesn't really pay attention to teams' expectations or recruits (unless we were also recruiting them) and only judges a team once he's actually watched them. In any event, I like not being picked first and also like that it's a different team than UNC.

ForkFondler
10-15-2012, 07:23 PM
I would love to know who voted UNC #1?

Coach K said during media day that he thinks making the coaches predict the season standings is a bit silly and he'd rather not do it.

Well, there it is.

PackMan97
10-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Also, State has some HUGE expectations to live up to now. Leslie Preseason Player of the Year, Purvis Rookie of the Year, and Preseason #1 and Final 4 Contender - that's alot of pressure for a team that has had none for years.

The further we can get from the way NC State has done things "for years" the better off we will be. Even with Sendek's best teams, I think we'd still be a 4th or 5th place team in the preseason polls. I'm tired of living up to low expectations. It's time to shoot for the stars, maybe we'll at least make it to the moon.

:cool:

Newton_14
10-15-2012, 09:41 PM
The further we can get from the way NC State has done things "for years" the better off we will be. Even with Sendek's best teams, I think we'd still be a 4th or 5th place team in the preseason polls. I'm tired of living up to low expectations. It's time to shoot for the stars, maybe we'll at least make it to the moon.

:cool:

I think State has a good year. Biggest issue will be the losses on the frontline. They will be solid in the backcourt and on the wings. Big Fella staying out of foul trouble will be key. Unless they go rogue mentally or something, contending for the ACC Regular Season and Tourney should be expected. The Big Dance is a crapshoot heavily influenced by the matchups so no way to call that until the brackets are announced.

I expect a good year for them though.

Dev11
10-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Rasheed being in the running for ROY.

I think if any Duke player is winning this award, it's Alex Murphy, but it certainly wouldn't bother me if Rasheed took it.

I, too, don't think NC State should be favored as much as they are, but nobody will care about these predictions come November.

Edouble
10-16-2012, 02:10 PM
I think if any Duke player is winning this award, it's Alex Murphy, but it certainly wouldn't bother me if Rasheed took it.

I, too, don't think NC State should be favored as much as they are, but nobody will care about these predictions come November.

Nobody around here, but I think that State fans will care about them throughout the whole season.

Cameron
10-16-2012, 02:46 PM
I am personally glad to see it. The reemergence of N.C. State on a national level -- even if only as a pre-season ACC favorite, Final Four contender, team with All-American type talent and so forth -- on an annual basis will only help to re-introduce to the country the ACC's long-standing reputation as the best conference in basketball with the greatest amount of storied programs in any one league in any one place. If the Pack can at least duplicate its Sweet 16 run from a season ago, then Mark Gottfried and company will have proven that basketball at State is back. If they go further and reach Atlanta, then our conference will have taken a step back into 1986 and things on Tobacco Road will really start to get heated again.

With Syracuse joining our league next winter, State could not have chosen a better time to become relevant again. The ACC is on its way back up.