PDA

View Full Version : New article on Andre Dawkins

JasonEvans
10-10-2012, 04:03 PM
His father says (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/andre-dawkins-will-not-practice-this-year) he is still dealing with grief over losing his sister. He will not practice with the team at all this year. But, here is the significant news--

Dawkins Sr. said that his son does still plan on returning to the team and playing the 2013-14 season.

We all know what special potential this kid has as a player. I hope he comes back and is just dominant on the court.

-Jason "best of luck to Andre. Whether he comes back or not, whether he is a star or a sub, coming to grips with the tragedy in his life is the most important thing he can do right now!" Evans

OldPhiKap
10-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Andre, you are and always will be an important and cherished part of Duke. Prayers your way.

Son of Jarhead
10-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Andre, I am looking forward to seeing your smile and your swag back on the court for Duke next season. Know that you cherished and that we all want all happiness & great things for you. Heartfelt thoughts and prayers heading your way... all day, 'Dre, all day.

Bluedog
10-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Nice article. Thanks, Jason. I'm hoping to see several more daggers and swagger from Andre next season - against FSU this year, it was a thing of beauty. And, of course, at least a couple undeserved technical/flagrants....why is he always a target?!

Indoor66
10-10-2012, 06:47 PM
I can only feel sympathy for a young man going through such an emotional turmoil. I pray he can find a solace and peace that will allow him to accept the events and move forward with his life. I look forward to seeing his glowing smile and joyous personality on the court next year. Best to you, Andre.

lotusland
10-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Just curious - in this situation does Dre still live in the athletes housing with a duke teammate for his roommate? Hasn't Ryan been his roommate up to this point? It's not important I'm just curious.

Duvall
10-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Just curious - in this situation does Dre still live in the athletes housing with a duke teammate for his roommate? Hasn't Ryan been his roommate up to this point? It's not important I'm just curious.

No idea about Dawkins' situation, but don't Duke upperclassmen basketball players almost always live off-campus?

johnb
10-10-2012, 08:04 PM
We're behind you, Andre.

uh_no
10-10-2012, 08:23 PM

there is no athletes housing, though they generally room with another player.

either way, I don't know what andre's situation is.

Lord Ash
10-10-2012, 10:52 PM
As a senior I might expect he is not in traditional dorm rooms anymore.

Anyway, good to hear Dre is getting himself to a good place... And I do hope he finds his love of basketball again someday, if he has maybe misplaced it for a bit!

ChicagoCrazy84
10-11-2012, 04:31 PM
As a senior I might expect he is not in traditional dorm rooms anymore.

Anyway, good to hear Dre is getting himself to a good place... And I do hope he finds his love of basketball again someday, if he has maybe misplaced it for a bit!

I believe he will find it again. I'm glad he is doing what he needs to do.

I did want to touch on one thing. I scrolled through the few comments from this article and this was one of them:

"I am having trouble understanding this story. His sister died in 2009, and three years later, he is unable to play or practice basketball because he is dealing with grief. He played last year. How did he deal with the grief then? What did he do in 2010? I am not a Duke fan, so I don't know all the background? What has changed? Is he grappling with mental/emotional issues that include - but are not limited to - the grief over his sister's death? Perhaps the writer could have done a better job of explaining this strange time line."

Of course the guy got lambasted for bringing it up, but really I don't think it is such a terrible question and I think he was very mature about the way he asked. Does anyone else have any insight? I'm not saying Andre isn't still dealing with his sister's death but to think its limited to this is probably a fallacy. So many examples out there of players being with their team after tragedy and they haven't skipped a beat. Torrey Smith, Manti Te-O, Brett Favre, Joe Girardi (Dad just dies last night). I don't know, I just fully want to make sense of Andre's thought process considering next year we'll be loaded in the backcourt.

Bluedog
10-11-2012, 04:45 PM

I did want to touch on one thing. I scrolled through the few comments from this article and this was one of them:

"I am having trouble understanding this story. His sister died in 2009, and three years later, he is unable to play or practice basketball because he is dealing with grief. He played last year. How did he deal with the grief then? What did he do in 2010? I am not a Duke fan, so I don't know all the background? What has changed? Is he grappling with mental/emotional issues that include - but are not limited to - the grief over his sister's death? Perhaps the writer could have done a better job of explaining this strange time line."

Of course the guy got lambasted for bringing it up, but really I don't think it is such a terrible question and I think he was very mature about the way he asked. Does anyone else have any insight? I'm not saying Andre isn't still dealing with his sister's death but to think its limited to this is probably a fallacy. So many examples out there of players being with their team after tragedy and they haven't skipped a beat. Torrey Smith, Manti Te-O, Brett Favre, Joe Girardi (Dad just dies last night). I don't know, I just fully want to make sense of Andre's thought process considering next year we'll be loaded in the backcourt.

His dad said before that Andre didn't really previously have a grieving period for his sister and basically just moved on with basketball and life, so it took a while for him to finally pause and come to grips with it. A common defense mechanism is just to act like nothing happened and move on with life and everybody deals with grief differently, so it's hard to give a "typical" timeline for an event like that. There have been no other details given that I'm aware of for alternate explanations, so while it's always possible that Andre wants to take a break for other reasons in addition to the reason given, it would be speculative in nature. He's on pace to graduate this year, though.

jimsumner
10-11-2012, 04:47 PM

And you know they haven't skipped a beat how exactly?

Because they didn't miss any games? FWIW, Dawkins played 24 minutes in Duke's first game after his sister's death. Didn't skip a beat.

How many of the above referenced people were 18 years old at the time they lost a close relative? How many of them lost relatives who were traveling to see them play?

What great conspiracy do you see at work here? Why is there a need to think that the narrative given to us by Mike Krzyzewski and by Andre Dawkins, Sr. is somehow an inadequate or misleading fallacy?

Bojangles4Eva
10-11-2012, 04:54 PM

A totally reasonable and logical question, but probably one that nobody on this board will ever know the answer to. The current story is that he is dealing with the grief of loosing his sister, but it's not like that explanation automatically trumps any other logical reason for him wanting to totally remove himself from the team. He will either be playing next year or not, and I hope that if this hiatus is (if only for some part) due to reasons unrelated to his sister, that he does not come back and try to compete in a sport that he no longer wants to participate in just to "owe" something to the fans/team/school. He owes nothing to anybody.

jimsumner
10-11-2012, 05:01 PM
A totally reasonable and logical question, but probably one that nobody on this board will ever know the answer to. The current story is that he is dealing with the grief of loosing his sister, but it's not like that explanation automatically trumps any other logical reason for him wanting to totally remove himself from the team. He will either be playing next year or not, and I hope that if this hiatus is (if only for some part) due to reasons unrelated to his sister, that he does not come back and try to compete in a sport that he no longer wants to participate in just to "owe" something to the fans/team/school. He owes nothing to anybody.

The current story? Seriously?

OldPhiKap
10-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Whatever his personal reasons are, they should be respected. I am not sure why there is a need to look beyond the simple explanation that was given (and is consistent with prior explanations as Jim suggests) -- he is dealing with a traumatic personal family loss. I am not sure why that is difficult to believe, or why folks are looking for alternative theories. BUT EVEN IF THERE WERE OTHER PERSONAL REASONS, it is nobody's business but Andre's, his family's, and those with whom he chooses to share his confidences.

He and his family will be in my prayers and I hope he finds comfort and healing. Not sure anything else is particularly important above that.

Bojangles4Eva
10-11-2012, 06:21 PM
The current story? Seriously?

Current story = What is currently being said about the situation. It was not meant in any way to suggest that Andre's grief is made up.

jimsumner
10-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Current story = What is currently being said about the situation. It was not meant in any way to suggest that Andre's grief is made up.

This implies that there have been earlier stories or that there will be later stories. Otherwise, it's just redundant.

The word "story" also carries some baggage. Why not use the more neutral "the explanation" or something along those lines?

Bojangles4Eva
10-11-2012, 07:40 PM
This implies that there have been earlier stories or that there will be later stories. Otherwise, it's just redundant.

The word "story" also carries some baggage. Why not use the more neutral "the explanation" or something along those lines?

A debate of proper parlance aside, my point is that it is not illogical to entertain the possibility that other factors besides his sisters death may be in play here. I am a logical person, and I am approaching the situation from a logical perspective. The most reasonable explanation is exactly what Andre and his dad state, that taking the year off is related to the unfortunate death of his sister. However, it's also reasonable to assume there might be other personal issues entwined with the grieving of his sister, and maybe he doesn't want to share them publicly. I am first and foremost in defense of Andre, and respect his wishes to be, or not be with the team, whatever his reasons may be.

For some perspective, I lost a member of my immediate family in my 20's, as I'm sure others on this board have too. It caused not only grief, but a long period of re-evaluating my life. The latter had nothing to do with the family member I lost, but more soul searching and handling existing personal issues which I wanted to fix after that family member had passed. It's possible that Duke Basketball is getting in the way of Andre doing this, or maybe not. I have no idea.....But it's possible.

JasonEvans
10-12-2012, 01:10 AM
His sister died in 2009, and three years later, he is unable to play or practice basketball because he is dealing with grief. He played last year. How did he deal with the grief then? What did he do in 2010?

There is a fallacy in the above statement that probably gets at the core of what is going on here. The mere fact that Andre played basketball last year and the previous year does not mean he had "dealt with his grief." In fact, I would argue that Andre's career at Duke may be evidence of how much he has failed to adequately deal with his grief over his sister's loss.

Andre has been maddeningly inconsistent at Duke. He shows flashes of greatness and then disappears. He seems to have truly special physical gifts and skills, but sometimes seems reluctant to use them. For the past couple years, many Duke fans have forecast and expected bigger things from him than he has provided to the team. Now, in retrospect, it seems very possible -- almost probable -- that Andre's inconsistency has been the result of a tortured mind and heart... a young man trying to figure out how to be an elite athlete at an elite academic institution while also coping with a loss that most of us cannot even imagine.

Now, I do not say any of this to be down on Andre's career or his achievements. I am a huge fan and have marveled at his ability to carry us at times -- not that basketball or wins and losses really matter very much in this discussion. I merely wanted to point out the tremendous potential so many of us have seen in him -- potential that he has so far been unable to reach. I truly believe his grief has been in the way, which makes his struggles and inconsistency even sadder... and makes his moments of success even more remarkable.

It is my fervent hope that Andre will find a way to live with his sadness and be able to move on in his life. And I hope that when that happens, if Andre still wants to play basketball, that he is able to play with the kind of brilliance and consistency we all know he can achieve... not because it would help Duke to win ballgames, but because I hope it would help Andre to heal and feel better about himself moving forward.

--Jason "I truly worry that someone will misunderstand this post... my main point is that Andre's on court performance has almost certainly been affected by his tremendous grief and getting away from the court to heal is certainly smart advice" Evans

jimsumner
10-12-2012, 09:56 AM
A debate of proper parlance aside, my point is that it is not illogical to entertain the possibility that other factors besides his sisters death may be in play here. I am a logical person, and I am approaching the situation from a logical perspective. The most reasonable explanation is exactly what Andre and his dad state, that taking the year off is related to the unfortunate death of his sister. However, it's also reasonable to assume there might be other personal issues entwined with the grieving of his sister, and maybe he doesn't want to share them publicly. I am first and foremost in defense of Andre, and respect his wishes to be, or not be with the team, whatever his reasons may be.

For some perspective, I lost a member of my immediate family in my 20's, as I'm sure others on this board have too. It caused not only grief, but a long period of re-evaluating my life. The latter had nothing to do with the family member I lost, but more soul searching and handling existing personal issues which I wanted to fix after that family member had passed. It's possible that Duke Basketball is getting in the way of Andre doing this, or maybe not. I have no idea.....But it's possible.

"It is not illogical to entertain the possibility that other factors . . . may be in play here." Could you qualify your statement any more?

Your point seems to be that Dawkins is either taking off the season to mourn the death of his sister or to mourn the death of his sister and "other personal issues entwined with the grieving of his sister." The distinction eludes me.I'm not sure what we're debating.

Let me give another perspective. Other posters have been more pointed in their suggestions that something else is going on here. Mike Krzyzewski has stated that Dawkins is taking off the season because of grief issues surrounding the 2009 death of his sister. The father has said the same thing. So, are they exploiting the death of Dawkins' sister to hide something else? That would be the logical inference.

Based on K's track record, I would argue that it is illogical not to accept the story as presented, which is consistent with everything I saw, heard and observed relative to Dawkins.

I realize this is 2012 and conspiracy theories are a dime-a-dozen-on the internet. But this is serious stuff and no one is under any obligation to go all Maury Povich and let us see their pain. In the clear absence of any evidence to the contrary, I see no logical reason to keep picking at this.

Occam's Razor.

Bojangles4Eva
10-12-2012, 10:56 AM
"It is not illogical to entertain the possibility that other factors . . . may be in play here." Could you qualify your statement any more?

Your point seems to be that Dawkins is either taking off the season to mourn the death of his sister or to mourn the death of his sister and "other personal issues entwined with the grieving of his sister." The distinction eludes me.I'm not sure what we're debating.

Let me give another perspective. Other posters have been more pointed in their suggestions that something else is going on here. Mike Krzyzewski has stated that Dawkins is taking off the season because of grief issues surrounding the 2009 death of his sister. The father has said the same thing. So, are they exploiting the death of Dawkins' sister to hide something else? That would be the logical inference.

Based on K's track record, I would argue that it is illogical not to accept the story as presented, which is consistent with everything I saw, heard and observed relative to Dawkins.

I realize this is 2012 and conspiracy theories are a dime-a-dozen-on the internet. But this is serious stuff and no one is under any obligation to go all Maury Povich and let us see their pain. In the clear absence of any evidence to the contrary, I see no logical reason to keep picking at this.

Occam's Razor.

You are making many reaches in terms of inferring deeper meaning regarding my statements. Using the word "exploit" is a very harsh interpretation of my comment, and I never referenced any possible reason for Andre's departure that could be thought of as a conspiracy. I never said he should divulge all his emotions regarding this issue on some public forum like "Maury", in fact to the contrary I have consistently stated that Andre does not owe us anything. If you would like to continue this debate please PM me, otherwise you are absolutely correct in that picking at this on a public forum is indeed illogical.

jimsumner
10-12-2012, 11:12 AM
You are making many reaches in terms of inferring deeper meaning regarding my statements. Using the word "exploit" is a very harsh interpretation of my comment, and I never referenced any possible reason for Andre's departure that could be thought of as a conspiracy. I never said he should divulge all his emotions regarding this issue on some public forum like "Maury", in fact to the contrary I have consistently stated that Andre does not owe us anything. If you would like to continue this debate please PM me, otherwise you are absolutely correct in that picking at this on a public forum is indeed illogical.

I clearly stated that I was referencing "other posters" at that point.

I strongly feel that Andre Dawkins should be allowed to process his sister's death at his own pace and in his own way, without having it discussed in a public forum.