PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 10-9-12

jimsumner
10-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Good news on the injury front. Renfree, Braxton, Bruce, Foxx and Tavarez all practiced today. No guarantee all of them will play Saturday. No guarantee any of them will play. But perhaps Duke has turned the corner on the injury front.

Dez Johnson was the only injury from Saturday. Cut describes him as "nicked up."

Still working on Butler and Wallace.

Renfree and Boone will split the reps at QB this week.

Cut describes the defense as "boosted" by the returning players. "Pretty significant for an injured team to get some people back for practice."

No bulletin board material for the Hokies. Cut says the VT team he's seen on tape "is the VT we all know." Notes that Tech is undefeated at home.

Duke turned up the noise at practice today.

"Lots of chirping about bowl games." Cut says it's human nature and he's not going to spoil the party. Just doesn't want to hear it before games.

Called Boone's performance v. Virginia the best performance he's ever had by a QB starting his first game.

Cut referenced Knowles' ability to make changes at half-time and Duke's use of lots of players as keys to second-half performance.

Cockrell said the team was aware that it was getting votes in the polls. Says it's "great to be considered." Refreshing honesty. None of this "we don't pay attention to that stuff" b.s.

Cockrell talked a bit about the DBs. Said they were comfortable with each other, trusted each other, were able to make changes as the game progressed.

Duke's DBs physically dominated Virginia's WRs. This is the most assertive and confident group of DBs I've seen at Duke in some time. VT's receivers have struggled this season. I actually think Duke can handle these guys. Getting Butler back would help.

mkline09
10-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Good news on the injury front. Renfree, Braxton, Bruce, Foxx and Tavarez all practiced today. No guarantee all of them will play Saturday. No guarantee any of them will play. But perhaps Duke has turned the corner on the injury front.

Dez Johnson was the only injury from Saturday. Cut describes him as "nicked up."

Still working on Butler and Wallace.

Renfree and Boone will split the reps at QB this week.

Cut describes the defense as "boosted" by the returning players. "Pretty significant for an injured team to get some people back for practice."

No bulletin board material for the Hokies. Cut says the VT team he's seen on tape "is the VT we all know." Notes that Tech is undefeated at home.

Duke turned up the noise at practice today.

"Lots of chirping about bowl games." Cut says it's human nature and he's not going to spoil the party. Just doesn't want to hear it before games.

Called Boone's performance v. Virginia the best performance he's ever had by a QB starting his first game.

Cut referenced Knowles' ability to make changes at half-time and Duke's use of lots of players as keys to second-half performance.

Cockrell said the team was aware that it was getting votes in the polls. Says it's "great to be considered." Refreshing honesty. None of this "we don't pay attention to that stuff" b.s.

Cockrell talked a bit about the DBs. Said they were comfortable with each other, trusted each other, were able to make changes as the game progressed.

Duke's DBs physically dominated Virginia's WRs. This is the most assertive and confident group of DBs I've seen at Duke in some time. VT's receivers have struggled this season. I actually think Duke can handle these guys. Getting Butler back would help.

Did he mention VT's running game which really is lacking a feature back like they've had in the past. One of my VT guys I trust knows a lot about the team is concerned with their ability to defend the run, especially after what Bernard did to them last week. Good stuff plenty of reasons to be optimistic about the team.

jimsumner
10-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Did he mention VT's running game which really is lacking s a feature back like they've had in the past. One of my VT guys I trust knows a lot about the team is concerned with their ability to defend the run, especially after what Bernard did to them last week. Good stuff plenty of reasons to be optimistic about the team.

As I said, no bulletin board material. Not from Cut, not from the players. Justin Thompson talked about the high quality of VT's run defense, Cockrell, heir WRs and Cut, their coaching.

Carolina's running success v. VT was portrayed more in terms of Carolina being good, not VT not being good.

And Logan Thomas is a load. No doubt about that.

Cut did allow that Duke let the game get away from them real early two years ago and never recovered. I think maturity and poise are going to be huge here. The crowd is going to be large, loud and motivated. A slow start by Duke will be like throwing raw meat to hungry wolves. But if Duke can start well-better than they have this season--they may be able to take the crowd out of the game, or at least get them to dial it back. A great Duke start and maybe the crowd will turn on their team.

FWIW, I talked to several writers who attended the UNC-VT game, people with no Duke rooting allegiance and they think that VT really is a step down from what we've seen from them since they joined the ACC. Not a pushover, to be sure, but not an unstoppable behemoth.

OldPhiKap
10-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Our defense in the second half last week was phenominal. We're always in the game if we can do that for both halves.

After last week, the "Boone Package" is certainly less predictable as well.

Monday kicked extremely well and the cover teams did very well too. Monday should get some real consideration for the Ray Guy Award before all is said and done.

Play like a team, win like a team.

sagegrouse
10-09-2012, 03:39 PM

Jim: This last comment sounds like you rather than Coach Cut, or did I guess wrong? -- sagegrouse

jimsumner
10-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Jim: This last comment sounds like you rather than Coach Cut, or did I guess wrong? -- sagegrouse

IMO.

Bob Green
10-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Jim, As always, thanks for these reports. It really adds to the board discussion to be able to read the comments straight from the coaches and players.

ricks68
10-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Jim, As always, thanks for these reports. It really adds to the board discussion to be able to read the comments straight from the coaches and players.

I certainly second that.

ricks

OldPhiKap
10-10-2012, 07:12 AM
I certainly second that.

ricks

Absolutely agree.

I think your point about starting strong is key -- if we can get up early and force some three-and-outs, the boo birds may start. We have a much better chance in a quiet road venue.

DukeSean
10-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Adam Rowe's posted the interviews on his website (http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2012/10/10/duke-football-media-day-october-9th/)

I like how level-headed yet driven our players are, and that's a credit to Cut and recruiting the right players/young men to come play at Duke. Recognizing that they were maybe a bit overconfident before the Stanford game will pay dividends before Saturday. In retrospect, that loss, as much as it hurt, was a very good learning experience that early in the season and forced the team to dig deep and discover what they were made of. And they've responded beautifully so far.

Saturday can't get here soon enough.