PDA

View Full Version : The Bowl Selection Vigil

Pages : [1] 2

OZZIE4DUKE
10-07-2012, 04:19 PM
I think it only fitting that I start this thread! :cool:

Let's take care of business this Saturday at VT and get there! Then we can start talking about a game in Charlotte, too! :cool::cool:

OldPhiKap
10-07-2012, 04:47 PM
ESPN has us projected for the Belks Bowl in Charlotte December 27th fwiw.

Not there yet. Not shut out of bigger bowls yet, either.

Get 'er done!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-07-2012, 04:56 PM
ESPN has us projected for the Belks Bowl in Charlotte December 27th fwiw.

Not there yet. Not shut out of bigger bowls yet, either.

Get 'er done!
I'm so glad this bowl is no longer the tire or car parts bowl, just not fitting! I say keep the possibilities open and leave the time around Christmas open.

PDDuke85
10-07-2012, 05:01 PM
I'm so glad this bowl is no longer the tire or car parts bowl, just not fitting! I say keep the possibilities open and leave the time around Christmas open.

I was at Tampa for the HOF bowl game VS Wisconsin and I'm not opposed to another warm weather bowl appearance. Go Duke!

OldPhiKap
10-07-2012, 05:05 PM
I was at Tampa for the HOF bowl game VS Wisconsin and I'm not opposed to another warm weather bowl appearance. Go Duke!

I went to that game, and agree that Florida is a nice place to spend New Year's Eve and Day.

CameronBornAndBred
10-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Duke got 10 votes in the coaches poll and 3 in the AP poll. Recently (in 2009 and 10) we also got votes, and as soon as we did, we went on losing streaks. It's nice to see the votes, but until we get our 6th, I will remain cautiously optimistic and continue to enjoy the ride.

(Also, Heather Dinich had us in the Military Bowl since day 1, so her prediction this week to the Belk is an upgrade.)

ForkFondler
10-07-2012, 05:23 PM
The schedule is about to get a lot harder. Sagarin has Duke as at least a one touchdown underdog in each of the next four games. No, we won't be favored in Blacksburg. However, only FSU looks completely out of reach.

The last two games are a different story. We have a bye week before playing @GT and Miami at home. Both those teams have Sagarin ratings that are within a point of ours. Sagarin has us favored at home in that last game plus we'll have two weeks to practice for the GT option.

Olympic Fan
10-07-2012, 06:12 PM
FWIW, A scout from the Russell Athletiic Bowl was in the press box Saturxday. That's Dec. 28 in Orlando.

Duke is a long-shot for that bowl ... they have the third pick of ACC teams (after the BCS, which gets the champs, and then the Chick-fil-A Bowl).

NovaScotian
10-07-2012, 07:27 PM
for reference, here are the bowl games with which the ACC has alignments, in order of choice.

#1 - Orange Bowl - Miami, FL
#2 - Chick-fil-A Bowl - Atlanta, GA
#3 - Russell Athletic Bowl - Orlando, FL
#4 - Hyundai Sun Bowl - El Paso, TX
#5 - Belk Bowl - Charlotte, NC
#6 - Franklin American Mortgage Company Music City Bowl - Nashville, TN
#7 - Advocare 100 Independence Bowl - Shreveport, LA
#8 - Military Bowl - Washington, DC
#9 - Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl - San Francisco, Ca

(per wikipedia)

ForkFondler
10-07-2012, 07:41 PM
for reference, here are the bowl games with which the ACC has alignments, in order of choice.

(per wikipedia)

I'd bet that it's mathematically impossible for the ACC to have nine bowl eligible teams. Eight is a bit of a long shot too. Army over BC :eek:

Reilly
10-07-2012, 08:20 PM

#1 - Orange Bowl - Miami, FL ...

Heather Dinich: "Is there anything I didn't ask you that you want to get out there?"

David Cutcliffe: "We want people to understand we're here to win championships. People are going to laugh. I hope they do. It just adds fuel to the fire."

July 1, 2008

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/29/q-amp-a-with-duke-coach-david-cutcliffe#more

loran16
10-07-2012, 08:45 PM
I'd bet that it's mathematically impossible for the ACC to have nine bowl eligible teams. Eight is a bit of a long shot too. Army over BC :eek:

Well this year, yes. But a few years back, the ACC had 10 bowl teams (thanks to an extra tie in it worked that year) and it's bottom two teams were 5-7 and 4-8.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-07-2012, 09:41 PM
FWIW, A scout from the Russell Athletiic Bowl was in the press box Saturday. That's Dec. 28 in Orlando.

Duke is a long-shot for that bowl ... they have the third pick of ACC teams (after the BCS, which gets the champs, and then the Chick-fil-A Bowl).

They were here for the NCCU game, too. Two reps, don't know that they were scouts per se, but they were here. I met them at our tailgate in Blue Devil Alley. The man turned out to be a fraternity brother here at Duke, I think a 1983 graduate. HE would love for Duke to get their Bowl! And so would I! :cool:

Mike Corey
10-08-2012, 08:28 AM
I hope you all have been aggressively and actively knocking on wood. :)

LET'S GO DEVILS!

I was tethered to a wedding ceremony--not my own, though that would not have changed my incessant checking of the score--and could not watch the game.

I fear that I succumbed to an emotion with an outburst in the middle of the ceremony, but as fate would have it, it coincided with the moment the groom kissed the bride. Awkwardness averted.

Congratulations to Coach Cutcliffe, his staff, and the entire team. Keep it rollin'.

CameronBornAndBred
10-08-2012, 10:56 AM

(per wikipedia)

The "Fight Hunger" bowl is Navy vs PAC-12.
If Navy doesn't reach 6, then they can choose from the ACC, the MAC or the WAC. Right now Navy's hopes aren't looking so hot at 2-3, but the bottom of the ACC is less than appetizing too. If they do choose an ACC team, I hope it ain't Duke since there will be very few who will travel all the way to San Francisco to watch the game.

blazindw
10-08-2012, 11:50 AM
If Navy doesn't reach 6, then they can choose from the ACC, the MAC or the WAC. Right now Navy's hopes aren't looking so hot at 2-3, but the bottom of the ACC is less than appetizing too. If they do choose an ACC team, I hope it ain't Duke since there will be very few who will travel all the way to San Francisco to watch the game.

If we can get that 6th win (*knocks on wood, rubs on rabbit foot and all other superstitious measures to not jinx it*), I doubt we'd still be on the "Teams Available" list when the Fight Hunger Bowl gets its pick. If we somehow were still around when the Military Bowl gets its choice of eligible teams, I'll be on the phone starting to plan to welcome you all to the District! ;)

Olympic Fan
10-08-2012, 11:54 AM

While you are right that Navy gets the Fight Hunger Bowl if they get to six wins, the ACC has first replacement slot if they have eight bowl teams ... the MAC and WAC are next in line.

Let's look at the situation for the ACC:

Sure Bowl teams (2): Florida State, Clemson

Probable Bowl teams (4): Duke, Miami* (unless they stay home due to NCAA issues again), NC State, Virginia Tech (not a lock, especially if they lose to Duke ... but they do finish with BC and Virginia)

Possible Bowl teams: (4) Maryland (three wins already with Virginia Boston College left ... after that it gets tough -- Georgia Tech maybe -- they finish with Clemson, FSU and UNC), Georgia Tech (put themselves in the hole with two OT losses and the loss to Middle Tennessee. They are are two wins with BC coming up, but after that they have to beat three good teams out of BYU, UNC, Georgia, Duke and Maryland); Virginia (looks bad now at 2-4, but they do have possible wins with Maryland and Wake to get going again); Wake Forest (3-3 now, but they get a gimmie with BC and they have a tossup with Virginia and that gets them close)

Not Going Bowling: (x): UNC (ineligible), BC (terrible)

I'm being generous to say that 10 teams are fighting for at least seven and probably eight slots. Not all will make it -- the loser of the Oct. 20 game between Virginia and Wake isn't going bowling. Not sure the winner is, but at least it has a chance.

CameronBornAndBred
10-08-2012, 12:27 PM
While you are right that Navy gets the Fight Hunger Bowl if they get to six wins, the ACC has first replacement slot if they have eight bowl teams ... the MAC and WAC are next in line.

Thanks for the breakdown, nice job. My two favorite options for completely personal and greedy reasons are The Belk Bowl and the Military Bowl. (Not including the very higher ups because we haven't even gotten #6 yet.) Charlotte would be nice and close, and RFK is a great stadium..also with access to a nice sized local Duke fan base. Both are easily travelable. Nashville would be ok, it would be fun to see Cut "go home" and play there with a Duke team. Shreveport...bleah, too far. I'll set my tv outside next to my grill.

Native
10-08-2012, 12:38 PM
FWIW, A scout from the Russell Athletiic Bowl was in the press box Saturxday. That's Dec. 28 in Orlando.

They've been at basically every game this season. On at least three separate occasions they've sent reps down to the first few rows of the student section to hand out "Russell Athletics Bowl" pins to everyone.

Dev11
10-08-2012, 12:40 PM

#1 - Orange Bowl - Miami, FL - Jan 1
#2 - Chick-fil-A Bowl - Atlanta, GA - Dec 31
#3 - Russell Athletic Bowl - Orlando, FL - Dec 28
#4 - Hyundai Sun Bowl - El Paso, TX - Dec 31
#5 - Belk Bowl - Charlotte, NC - Dec 27
#6 - Franklin American Mortgage Company Music City Bowl - Nashville, TN - Dec 31
#7 - Advocare 100 Independence Bowl - Shreveport, LA - Dec 28
#8 - Military Bowl - Washington, DC - Dec 27
#9 - Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl - San Francisco, Ca - Dec 29

(per wikipedia)

Dates added.

Most of these places sound like fun, but can anybody console me for the potential of having to cancel my current late December plans to make an emergency trip to El Paso or Shreveport? Neither is on my list of cities I feel like I have to visit.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Dates added.

Most of these places sound like fun, but can anybody console me for the potential of having to cancel my current late December plans to make an emergency trip to El Paso or Shreveport? Neither is on my list of cities I feel like I have to visit.
The food might be good in Shreveport.

-bdbd
10-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the breakdown, nice job. My two favorite options for completely personal and greedy reasons are The Belk Bowl and the Military Bowl. (Not including the very higher ups because we haven't even gotten #6 yet.) Charlotte would be nice and close, and RFK is a great stadium..also with access to a nice sized local Duke fan base. Both are easily travelable. Nashville would be ok, it would be fun to see Cut "go home" and play there with a Duke team. Shreveport...bleah, too far. I'll set my tv outside next to my grill.

Great breakdown Olympic. We need to remember that Duke is still likely an underdog for every remaining game. But with six games remaining, it seems highly probable that we go bowling. I just wouldn't quite book reservations to Miami for early-January just yet...

Three weeks ago I'd have had much lower expectations of our chances vs. VPI and GT. But right now only FSU and Clemson maybe look like they're out of reach. But UNC and Miami at home, and games at VPI and GT certainly seem possible now. Still hoping for a win over VPI, but how sweet would that be to clinch the first bowl in 18 years over bowl-suspended UNC at home??! :rolleyes:

Here's a nice CNN/SI snippet very favorable to Cut and to Duke: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/stewart_mandel/10/07/florida-state-south-carolina-west-virginia-bcs/3.html Like Cameron, the only one I'm not hoping for is Shreveport. Next tier up is Military and Tire Bowl (Charlotte). Any others would be awesome in my mind!

Feinstein has a piece up today on page two of the Washington Post Sports section very disdainful of ACC football. In typical JF fashion, ">>>And then there's - gulp - Duke, the only other team along with Miami and Maryland that's unbeaten in conference play. The Blue Devils are 5-1 and 2-0, thanks in part to playing out-of-conference games against Memphis and Florida International (combined record 2-9) and FCS non-power NCCU. The one time the Blue Devils played a real team (Stanford), they lost, 50-13.They have wins over Wake and UVA and there's actually bowl talk in Durham... there's not a game left on the schedule that Duike will be favored to win. Sadly, Duke and Maryland aren't scheduled to play this season - what a battle that game would be." http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/acc-football-remains-awful/2012/10/07/4192bb38-103a-11e2-bb5e-492c0d30bff6_story.html

Sure Bowl teams (2): Florida State, Clemson

Probable Bowl teams (4): Duke, Miami* (unless they stay home due to NCAA issues again), NC State, Virginia Tech (not a lock, especially if they lose to Duke ... but they do finish with BC and Virginia)

Possible Bowl teams: (4) Maryland (three wins already with Virginia Boston College left ... after that it gets tough -- Georgia Tech maybe -- they finish with Clemson, FSU and UNC), Georgia Tech (put themselves in the hole with two OT losses and the loss to Middle Tennessee. They are are two wins with BC coming up, but after that they have to beat three good teams out of BYU, UNC, Georgia, Duke and Maryland); Virginia (looks bad now at 2-4, but they do have possible wins with Maryland and Wake to get going again); Wake Forest (3-3 now, but they get a gimmie with BC and they have a tossup with Virginia and that gets them close)

Not Going Bowling: (x): UNC (ineligible), BC (terrible)

I'm being generous to say that 10 teams are fighting for at least seven and probably eight slots. Not all will make it -- the loser of the Oct. 20 game between Virginia and Wake isn't going bowling. Not sure the winner is, but at least it has a chance.

OldPhiKap
10-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Dates added.

Carlsbad Caverns is only a few hours away from El Paso. Best I can do, unless you fancy New Year's Eve in Juarez. . . .

Shriveport, well -- side trip to New Orleans?

Either way, I'm there if Duke is.

OldPhiKap
10-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Here's a nice CNN/SI snippet very favorable to Cut and to Duke: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/stewart_mandel/10/07/florida-state-south-carolina-west-virginia-bcs/3.html

"Bowl eligibility is the obvious milestone, but Cutcliffe isn't ready to stop there. The Blue Devils are one of only two ACC Costal Division teams that don't yet have a conference loss (the other is Miami) and they're the only one with fewer than two losses on the season. "I think we can win the division," he said. "... I want them to stay hungry for more than [six wins.]""

Go get 'em Cut!

devildeac
10-08-2012, 01:13 PM
No comments from me yet unless the 6th W is recorded. (But anxiously awaiting that Saturday afternoon or evening.) My chicken counter is not working. Yet:o.

;)

Dar95
10-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Not that I want this to come close to mattering, but it is possible that we have already done enough to make it to a bowl. As per this link http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/jerry-palm/19720653/gotta-fill-the-bowls there are a number of contingencies in case there are not enough bowl eligible teams (this is a particular concern this year due to the continued proliferation of bowl games and the number of ineligible teams - UNC, Penn St., Ohio St.). The last contingency allows teams that are 5-7 which also fall in the top 5 of the APR (the graduation metric that is excluding UConn from next year's bball tourney) to be eligible. Not surprisingly, Duke is one of the top 5.

DukeSean
10-08-2012, 01:41 PM
I suppose I'm the only one who might want a Shreveport bowl haha. It's the only one within driving distance, and with the bowls all a couple weeks or so before our first child's due date, staying within driving distance of home is, well, important :)

I'd be ecstatic with any bowl, so far this season has been a joy to watch unfold

House G
10-08-2012, 02:36 PM
I suppose I'm the only one who might want a Shreveport bowl haha. It's the only one within driving distance, and with the bowls all a couple weeks or so before our first child's due date, staying within driving distance of home is, well, important :)

I'd be ecstatic with any bowl, so far this season has been a joy to watch unfold

I actually live in Shreveport (or, as Weezie likes to call it, Shrevepatch). I would love for my alma mater's football team to come to the Independence Bowl, especially after having the 'Holes come down last year. While I realize Shreveport is not high on the list of places to visit over the Christmas holidays, I would love to serve as tour guide for those willing to make the trip. FWIW, Shreveport is a 2.5 hour drive from Dallas and 5hrs from New Orleans. If anyone wants a glimpse of the I-Bowl venue, tune into the game between Texas A&M (#22) and Louisiana Tech (#23) this Sat. night (9pm EST ESPNU).

DukeSean
10-08-2012, 03:06 PM
I actually live in Shreveport (or, as Weezie likes to call it, Shrevepatch). I would love for my alma mater's football team to come to the Independence Bowl, especially after having the 'Holes come down last year. While I realize Shreveport is not high on the list of places to visit over the Christmas holidays, I would love to serve as tour guide for those willing to make the trip. FWIW, Shreveport is a 2.5 hour drive from Dallas and 5hrs from New Orleans. If anyone wants a glimpse of the I-Bowl venue, tune into the game between Texas A&M (#22) and Louisiana Tech (#23) this Sat. night (9pm EST ESPNU).

If (and it's a big if) we end up in the Independence Bowl, I think I'll take you up on that offer. I've been to Shreveport several times from Dallas, each time essentially spent inside a barge contributing to the local economy. Outside of that, I know nothing of Shreveport.

House G
10-08-2012, 04:00 PM
If (and it's a big if) we end up in the Independence Bowl, I think I'll take you up on that offer. I've been to Shreveport several times from Dallas, each time essentially spent inside a barge contributing to the local economy. Outside of that, I know nothing of Shreveport.

Yes, Jimmy Buffett is building our 6th barge as we speak--I think we have more players from Texas than Louisiana.

burnspbesq
10-08-2012, 11:43 PM
For the record, there are plenty of Duke fans for whom San Francisco is the most viable option.

Jim3k
10-09-2012, 04:03 AM

Not that Google maps is all that helpful, but it says DFW-Shreveport is 3:40. It also says that Little Rock-Shreveport is 3:40.

Under all circumstances, Shreveport is one of those places which is hard to get to and hard to get out of.

Many (read many, many, many) years ago my brand new Corvair broke down there and the Chevy dealership fixed it in a jiffy. Don't ask where I was coming from or where I was going, but the Shreveport people were very nice to me. I bet they're still nice.

Jim3k
10-09-2012, 04:50 AM
Dates added.

Well...in the winter, El Paso is snow-free and pretty warm. Might be a nice break from the cold. Nice view from the mountain tram. There are also two world class steakhouses worth visiting, though one (Billy Crews) is actually in Santa Theresa, New Mexico, about 10 miles from downtown El Paso. The other (Cattlemen's), is 10 miles south of town on a ranch which has many times served as a sound stage.

If you've a mind to drive, Big Bend National Park is reachable, but plan to spend a few days in the park and in to-and-from travel. Accommodations are limited both in and out of the park. See Study Butte. You could possibly work it into a trip back east across Texas to, say, San Antonio or the south Texas Gulf shore.

Reilly
10-09-2012, 08:26 AM
... Many (read many, many, many) years ago my brand new Corvair broke down there and the Chevy dealership fixed it in a jiffy. Don't ask where I was coming from or where I was going ...

I was takin' a trip out to LA,
Toolin' along in my Chevrolet
Tokin' on a number and diggin' on the radio ....

CameronBornAndBred
10-09-2012, 08:30 AM
It's nice to be wanted. From Brett Friedlander.

I had a conversation with a representative of the Belk Bowl on Sunday while at the Carolina Panthers game doing a story on Russell Wilson’s professional return to North Carolina, and he told me that Duke is at the top of the Charlotte game’s ACC wish list.
http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/32395/after-fsu-and-clemson-duke-is-accs-most-attractive-bowl-draw/

Dev11
10-09-2012, 08:51 AM
For the record, there are plenty of Duke fans for whom San Francisco is the most viable option.

You got your game for this year! Now just be patient and the team will be back in another 40 years or so...

DukeSean
10-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Not that Google maps is all that helpful, but it says DFW-Shreveport is 3:40. It also says that Little Rock-Shreveport is 3:40.

Under all circumstances, Shreveport is one of those places which is hard to get to and hard to get out of.

I've made that DFW-Shreveport drive in 2.5-3 hours on a few occasions. Just be careful when driving through Monroe, LA, those cops will get you every time. EVERY time.

Stray Gator
10-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Well...in the winter, El Paso is snow-free and pretty warm. Might be a nice break from the cold. . . .

Sorry to take issue with your statement, Jim, but the Sun Bowl game in El Paso has been hit with snow and/or ice several times that I recall -- most recently in 2010:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/31/1995180/sun-bowl-field-covered-in-ice.html

One of the worst examples -- but most amusing to watch -- was in 1987:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AmysPYIBI0

I'm hoping the Blue Devils continue winning and are rewarded with a bowl game in sunny, snow-free central or south Florida.

Jim3k
10-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Sorry to take issue with your statement, Jim, but the Sun Bowl game in El Paso has been hit with snow and/or ice several times that I recall -- most recently in 2010:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/31/1995180/sun-bowl-field-covered-in-ice.html

One of the worst examples -- but most amusing to watch -- was in 1987:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AmysPYIBI0

I'm hoping the Blue Devils continue winning and are rewarded with a bowl game in sunny, snow-free central or south Florida.

I guess those are the exceptions that prove the rule...assuming that even makes sense.

Still, despite those anomalies, El Paso daytime temps in Dec-Jan are usually in the mid 50s. Warmer in the sun. It is true, I think, that January is their coldest month. Pre-dawn temps can be at freezing.

And I'm with you, Stray, on South Florida for a bowl. Was only trying to point out that El Paso has some worth--even if I am only giving it faint praise. :cool: (Sunglasses for the Sun Bowl)

Duvall
10-09-2012, 04:06 PM

Is that even possible without Duke winning the Coastal Division?

I guess Duke will just have to win the division, then.

Mike Corey
10-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Look for a piece on Duke football in an upcoming edition of the New York Times. The N&O's beat writer said that Viv Bernstein of the Times was with the rest of the media today talking to Coach Cutcliffe.

budwom
10-09-2012, 04:53 PM
I guess those are the exceptions that prove the rule...assuming that even makes sense.

Still, despite those anomalies, El Paso daytime temps in Dec-Jan are usually in the mid 50s. Warmer in the sun. It is true, I think, that January is their coldest month. Pre-dawn temps can be at freezing.

And I'm with you, Stray, on South Florida for a bowl. Was only trying to point out that El Paso has some worth--even if I am only giving it faint praise. :cool: (Sunglasses for the Sun Bowl)

iPhone Maps tells me I can drive to either South Florida or Shreveport via the Panama Canal, so needless to say I'm looking forward to the trip if we can snarfle up a sixth win.

OldPhiKap
10-09-2012, 05:01 PM
iPhone Maps tells me I can drive to either South Florida or Shreveport via the Panama Canal, so needless to say I'm looking forward to the trip if we can snarfle up a sixth win.

Siri asked me if I wanted her to pull up a map. I declined.

hurleyfor3
10-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Dates added.

Ruidoso is daytrippable from El Paso -- can't say that about Carlsbad or Big Bend -- and has skiing.

throatybeard
10-09-2012, 05:29 PM
I don't want to go to West Texas becuase I'm afraid Javier Bardem would kill me.

Actually, I would like to see Big Bend NP.

Bowls are tough to get to becuase of family obligations during the holidays. So I'm rooting for Charlotte.

OldPhiKap
10-09-2012, 08:19 PM
I don't want to go to West Texas becuase I'm afraid Javier Bardem would kill me.

West Texas is certainly no country for old men. Not that it applies to us, of course.

I am more afraid of being caught in a Marty Robbins ballad. Felina, good night.

jimsumner
10-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Am I the only one who would prefer to wait for that sixth win?

ForkFondler
10-09-2012, 08:27 PM

No, especially since our best shots at it won't come until November.

OldPhiKap
10-09-2012, 08:32 PM

A vigil IS a wait.

There are a number of cold reality threads. Gotta dream somewhere. The fact that we are even having a lark like this is a great tribute to the players and coaches.

I do not think anyone is assuming it is a done deal, and you are right that no one should. But the flip side is, if you are a good team, you are already thinking of a bowl. If we are going to act like a real team, I do not have a problem with the fans starting to expect better than 0-7 from here on out.

So, I agree but I don't. Which is of course what lawyers do. ;-)

jimsumner
10-09-2012, 08:41 PM
A vigil IS a wait.

So, I agree but I don't. Which is of course what lawyers do. ;-)

But it's still a billable hour. :)

Jim3k
10-09-2012, 08:47 PM
But it's still a billable hour. :)

Exactly.

But the office still must await the client's payment. Personally, I'm hoping the payment will come in Blacksburg.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Exactly.

But the office still must await the client's payment. Personally, I'm hoping the payment will come in Blacksburg.

Amen, Brother! Blacksburg is a great place for such an historic event.

devildeac
10-09-2012, 10:23 PM

Nope. You must have missed post #25 on this thread:rolleyes:.

jimsumner
10-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Nope. You must have missed post #25 on this thread:rolleyes:.

I did indeed.

I think regular readers of this board recognize that I've been a big proponent of the idea that Cutcliffe and his staff were major upgrades over their immediate predecessors and that Duke football was heading in the right direction.

And I will be very, very surprised (and hugely disappointed) if Duke doesn't get to six wins, likely more.

But going into the season, we knew that the most-likely wins were front-loaded on the schedule and that the presence of FSU and Clemson instead of BC and Maryland was a serious impediment to a break-out season.

Duke has done what it needed to do up to this point, which is put itself into position for 6+ wins. But Duke could play really, really good football the next four weeks and pull an 0-fer. I do think GT and Miami are quite beatable but I sure don't want to hit the bye week at 5-5.

It matters not one whit if the fan base gets overly giddy as long as the team remains grounded and focused. And I'm very much encouraged by the good news on the injury front. I very much want to see how good this team can be if he gets reasonably healthy.

But I don't think it unfair to note that the road gets much harder beginning Saturday afternoon. I try not to get too far ahead of myself and this seems like a good time to adhere to that mind-set.

OldPhiKap
10-09-2012, 11:26 PM
I did indeed.

I think regular readers of this board recognize that I've been a big proponent of the idea that Cutcliffe and his staff were major upgrades over their immediate predecessors and that Duke football was heading in the right direction.

And I will be very, very surprised (and hugely disappointed) if Duke doesn't get to six wins, likely more.

But going into the season, we knew that the most-likely wins were front-loaded on the schedule and that the presence of FSU and Clemson instead of BC and Maryland was a serious impediment to a break-out season.

Duke has done what it needed to do up to this point, which is put itself into position for 6+ wins. But Duke could play really, really good football the next four weeks and pull an 0-fer. I do think GT and Miami are quite beatable but I sure don't want to hit the bye week at 5-5.

It matters not one whit if the fan base gets overly giddy as long as the team remains grounded and focused. And I'm very much encouraged by the good news on the injury front. I very much want to see how good this team can be if he gets reasonably healthy.

But I don't think it unfair to note that the road gets much harder beginning Saturday afternoon. I try not to get too far ahead of myself and this seems like a good time to adhere to that mind-set.

Jim, I think you are exactly correct. Objectively. I take this thread as an Ozzie "optoemistic" special.

We're all on the same page I suspect. On the one hand, nothing counts until it is done. On the other hand, Cut has tried to raise expectations and the team has responded so it is time to start thinking differently than we have for the last two decades.

Win-win from where I sit.

If we go 1-3 over the next four, and 1-1 to finish, I would still call that a good year and we would be bowling. As Cut said, though -- I don't want them thinking of bowling, I want to think about winning the conference. I think this thread is in that light, understanding that such a result is both theoretically possible and beyond recent experience. Play well, fight hard, see what happens.

And I will be the first to recognize that you and I (among others) have been extremely supportive of Cut's efforts while at the same time understanding the challenges that face resurrecting the program. I always appreciate your insight and historical perspective. To believe in Duke football is to fly in the face of our results since 1962 +/-. Yet here we may be.

jimsumner
10-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Jim, I think you are exactly correct. Objectively. I take this thread as an Ozzie "optoemistic" special.

We're all on the same page I suspect. On the one hand, nothing counts until it is done. On the other hand, Cut has tried to raise expectations and the team has responded so it is time to start thinking differently than we have for the last two decades.

Win-win from where I sit.

If we go 1-3 over the next four, and 1-1 to finish, I would still call that a good year and we would be bowling. As Cut said, though -- I don't want them thinking of bowling, I want to think about winning the conference. I think this thread is in that light, understanding that such a result is both theoretically possible and beyond recent experience. Play well, fight hard, see what happens.

Oh, I agree. I'm just genetically disinclined to count my chickens before they show up on my plate. In my DNA. Or a gift from parents who grew up in the Great Depression.

For the record, I think the discussion of which bowl we prefer is premature. Not doomed.

OldPhiKap
10-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Oh, I agree. I'm just genetically disinclined to count my chickens before they show up on my plate. In my DNA. Or a gift from parents who grew up in the Great Depression.

For the record, I think the discussion of which bowl we prefer is premature. Not doomed.

We are on the same page, clearly.

Let me put a different perspective on the issue, understanding that I'll be damn glad to just reach bowl eligibility and to play in Butte, Montana in a blizzard. I live in SEC country these days, where at 5-1 or even 3-3 folks discuss the quality of the bowl they may reach. While on the one hand I think it is awfully pretentious to do that, on the other hand I recognize that REAL programs have those thoughts. For the first time since my years at Duke (when Spurrier was coaching) I think we are a REAL program. We need to make the jump from hoping we win another game this year, to expecting we will win several.

Again, of all folks I do not want to seem to be arguing with you. Your insight and reports have been extremely objective over the years and it is hard to think of a more insightful source on many of our sports. And I do not think we disagree. We as a fan base are at an inflection point between historical struggle and the swagger of expectations. Cautious optimism versus the audacity of hope. We all feel both at the same time.

If we get to a bowl, whatever and wherever it is, I'll buy the first round and you can get the second. If we fail to bowl, meet you at Satisfaction's and we can do the same. Either way, we're on the same path and in the same boat. Go Duke, Go Cut, Go K.

-- OPK

gep
10-10-2012, 12:57 AM
For me, one key point for this season thus far is that Duke won the games they should have won... which didn't always happen in previous years, and were competitive in the games they could be competitive in... and in fact, won those competitive games decisively. Stanford was a long shot, but maybe the beat-down was the calling card for this team.

And, as jimsummer said, "which" bowl is definitely premature... but getting that 6th win is really where the emphasis should be. For me, again, I don't care "which" bowl... just *a* bowl is triumph (I do understand, though, that the fan base can, and will, and probably should, be optimistic to "choose" the bowl they prefer). Coach Cut wants enthusiasm, support, expectations... well, here they are.

GO DUKE!!!!!:cool:

Dev11
10-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Ruidoso is daytrippable from El Paso -- can't say that about Carlsbad or Big Bend -- and has skiing.

Yes, but do they take Epic Pass?

CameronBornAndBred
10-10-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm with Cutcliffe on this one..It's fun for us to think about it, and for the team.

Still, only once in the past 17 years has Duke even been this close to bowl eligibility. There's no shielding the players from those bowl possibilities - so coach David Cutcliffe doesn't mind if they savor the situation a little.
"I told my wife, 'I don't want to spoil a good party,'" Cutcliffe said Tuesday. "That's not the only reason you're playing the game, but that's just human nature. How are you going to fool them?
"They're starving. Why wouldn't they feel that way? To ruin their party? I'm not going to do that. But I don't want to hear a bunch about it in the locker room before the ball game. Better start thinking about what you've got to do to win a game, period."
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/10/09/2400992/duke-visits-hokies-looking-to.html#storylink=cpy

OldPhiKap
10-10-2012, 11:48 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/10/09/2400992/duke-visits-hokies-looking-to.html#storylink=cpy

"The Blue Devils are a combined 1-39 against their remaining six opponents since the Atlantic Coast Conference expanded in 2004 - including an 0-8 mark against this week's opponent, Virginia Tech."

Kinda puts some things back in perspective. As giddy as I am about the start of the season, VT will be a real measuring stick of where we REALLY are. If we build on the second half of the UVa game, we should acquit ourselves very well. If we spot points early, it's gonna be tough to chase all day.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-10-2012, 11:50 AM
"The Blue Devils are a combined 1-39 against their remaining six opponents since the Atlantic Coast Conference expanded in 2004 - including an 0-8 mark against this week's opponent, Virginia Tech."

Kinda puts some things back in perspective. As giddy as I am about the start of the season, VT will be a real measuring stick of where we REALLY are. If we build on the second half of the UVa game, we should acquit ourselves very well. If we spot points early, it's gonna be tough to chase all day.
It is likely that for every game hereafter, we are going to be measuring and/or making history.

OldPhiKap
10-10-2012, 11:56 AM
It is likely that for every game hereafter, we are going to be measuring and/or making history.

As aways, DiBD, you are correct.

I am glad to see the injury list shrinking for the first time all year. The first half of the year has certainly helped us to build depth at several key positions and should serve us well going forward.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-10-2012, 01:08 PM
As aways, DiBD, you are correct.

I am glad to see the injury list shrinking for the first time all year. The first half of the year has certainly helped us to build depth at several key positions and should serve us well going forward.
Thank you for the kind words, sir. With various players getting back into practice, we can be encouraged about what can develop as the season goes forward.

I'm working at trying to keep a balance between the euphoria brought on by the current success and the tough, focused attitude needed to keep this trend going. I've recently borrowed a little saying from my friends in Louisiana: Stay Calm. Beat Everybody.;)

JasonEvans
10-10-2012, 04:17 PM
If we go 1-3 over the next four, and 1-1 to finish, I would still call that a good year and we would be bowling.

I would not call a 7-5 record a "good year" at Duke. I would call it a great year! I would be over-the-moon thrilled with that kind of record given what our program has endured for the past 2 decades. Heck, there are classes of Duke football players who came through here and did not win 7 games total in their 4 years on campus! 7 wins in one season... it is almost mind-boggling.

I bet you could have polled 50 Duke football fans in the pre-season this year and asked them to bet on how many wins Duke would get and you would not have found more than maybe 3 or 4 who would have predicted 7 wins in the regular season.

I am not saying 7 should be our goal -- I agree with Coach Cut that the team must aspire to championships -- but lets enjoy what a remarkable situation we are in today to even be dreaming of 6 or 7 wins. I will honestly say that I did not expect this for this season (I predicted 4 wins, when talking to friends in the pre-season).

-Jason "many of my Duke friends predicted 2 or 3 victories this year -- they are all gleefully wrong!" Evans

DukeSean
10-10-2012, 04:45 PM
I would not call a 7-5 record a "good year" at Duke. I would call it a great year! I would be over-the-moon thrilled with that kind of record given what our program has endured for the past 2 decades. Heck, there are classes of Duke football players who came through here and did not win 7 games total in their 4 years on campus! 7 wins in one season... it is almost mind-boggling.

I bet you could have polled 50 Duke football fans in the pre-season this year and asked them to bet on how many wins Duke would get and you would not have found more than maybe 3 or 4 who would have predicted 7 wins in the regular season.

I am not saying 7 should be our goal -- I agree with Coach Cut that the team must aspire to championships -- but lets enjoy what a remarkable situation we are in today to even be dreaming of 6 or 7 wins. I will honestly say that I did not expect this for this season (I predicted 4 wins, when talking to friends in the pre-season).

-Jason "many of my Duke friends predicted 2 or 3 victories this year -- they are all gleefully wrong!" Evans

I'd have to agree here, 7 wins would be, for me, an awesome year for Duke football. I haven't been a Duke FB fan for that long (my first memories include the word "airborne", which still gives me shudders), and my time as a fan has not been fun until the past few years.

Even if we went 1-5 the rest of the way, I would be very pleased with this season. I've never even sniffed a bowl game as a Duke fan.

NovaScotian
10-11-2012, 12:13 AM

so you're saying there's a chance??????

but seriously, i have five feet of the goalpost from that one win (clemson in 04) in my bedroom at my parents' house. strange things can always happen.

johnb
10-12-2012, 08:01 AM
football in the ny times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/12/sports/ncaafootball/for-duke-football-a-reason-to-cheer-in-100th-season.html?ref=todayspaper

OldPhiKap
10-12-2012, 08:53 AM
football in the ny times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/12/sports/ncaafootball/for-duke-football-a-reason-to-cheer-in-100th-season.html?ref=todayspaper

“There’s no reason,” Cockrell said, “why it can’t be a basketball and a football school.”

Indeed!

DukeSean
10-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Well, in one game against VT, we saw two Dukes: the one which has seemed to turn a corner from Duke teams in the past and gotten so many fans excited, and the other which is "vintage" Duke.

Sadly, they came in that order.

This is officially a vigil. Our best chance at a bowl game might be against UNC next weekend or Miami at home to close out the season. Hope it doesn't get to that final game.

Duvall
10-13-2012, 04:55 PM
This is officially a vigil. Our best chance at a bowl game might be against UNC next weekend or Miami at home to close out the season. Hope it doesn't get to that final game.

Looks like Georgia Tech or nothing, with nothing perhaps being the safer bet.

Bob Green
10-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Looks like Georgia Tech or nothing, with nothing perhaps being the safer bet.

The good news is the team has much more intestinal fortitude than the weak knee fan base!

Duvall
10-13-2012, 06:04 PM
The good news is the team has much more intestinal fortitude than the weak knee fan base!

It is what it is. There aren't any more bad teams on the schedule - why pretend otherwise?

Wander
10-13-2012, 06:12 PM
It is what it is. There aren't any more bad teams on the schedule - why pretend otherwise?

That's true, but we also only need one game out of five. Even if you assume we only have a 25% chance against Georgia Tech, Miami, or UNC, and no chance at all against FSU or Clemson, that still leaves us more likely to make a bowl game than not.

Duvall
10-13-2012, 06:19 PM
That's true, but we also only need one game out of five. Even if you assume we only have a 25% chance against Georgia Tech, Miami, or UNC, and no chance at all against FSU or Clemson, that still leaves us more likely to make a bowl game than not.

Sure. But that may not be a safe assumption.

Black Mambo
10-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Do you remember what happened to the basketball team the last time Duke football went to a bowl game? It might just be a zero-sum game. The sports gods may only allow a finite amount of Duke success in any given year.

And for those who scoff at the idea that a good(er) football season may mean a not-good(er) basketball season, why do you have that lucky sweatshirt that you wear during a big game???!!?

Riddle me that...

Dukeface88
10-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Do you remember what happened to the basketball team the last time Duke football went to a bowl game? It might just be a zero-sum game. The sports gods may only allow a finite amount of Duke success in any given year.

And for those who scoff at the idea that a good(er) football season may mean a not-good(er) basketball season, why do you have that lucky sweatshirt that you wear during a big game???!!?

Riddle me that...

Counterexample: 1988 and '89.

Wander
10-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Counterexample: 1988 and '89.

I was going to counterexample with 2007 for the other side of the spectrum, until I remembered the women's basketball team that year actually helps prove his point (Harding's free throws are still my worst Duke sporting moment, beating out any UNC or Lehigh or LSU or whatever related defeat).

Black Mambo
10-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Please stop over analyzing this. It was a joke.

OldPhiKap
10-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Tough road game, we have the rival coming to our house this week. Regroup and get it done.

CDu
10-14-2012, 10:11 AM

Intestinal fortitude has nothing to do with it. It is simply the reality that we are likely to be substantial underdogs for the next 3 games. If I had to bet on our record going into the GT game, I would say 5-5. Could we upset UNC? Sure. Would I expect that outcome? No.

The good news is that GT isn't great. And we get a bye week to prepare for them. We should win that game.

Bob Green
10-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Intestinal fortitude has nothing to do with it.

I am sure we can agree to disagree. The fans may quit on the team, but the team will not quit on themselves.

Guts, pride, work ethic...any term will work. Everyone knew back on Sept 1 the second half of the schedule was going to be a lot tougher than the first half.

It is time to persevere. You know, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going" or any other sound bite one chooses to employ.

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-14-2012, 04:33 PM
I've seen several fast starts go south in Nashville. That elusive 6th win is precious. If you get to a bowl this season, make sure you go, bc you never know when the next one might happen.

arnie
10-14-2012, 05:27 PM
I've seen several fast starts go south in Nashville. That elusive 6th win is precious. If you get to a bowl this season, make sure you go, bc you never know when the next one might happen.

I think we get the 6th and no more - likely will come down to nailbiting time against GaT or Miami.

Dukehky
10-14-2012, 08:19 PM
I think we get the 6th and no more - likely will come down to nailbiting time against GaT or Miami.

First of all let me start by saying that I think Duke thought we had this game won when we got up by 20. I think will all the press coverage about how well they were playing and how poorly VT was playing got to their heads and they thought VT was gonna fold... wrong. That will get corrected quickly this week, and will not happen against Carolina.

While I don't expect us to beat Carolina, I think that they fall far more in the category of winnable games with GT and Miami. We've come really close to beating them with a much wider margin between the abilities of the teams. It's the first time Duke will have the Heels at home with the students there at night, coming off of a game that they could have won had they stepped on VT's throats when they had the chance. I think Duke comes to play Saturday night, and while I'm sure Carolina will too, we have more to play for, and that's a fact. I think that GT is a really tough team despite their record, and Miami has waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy more talent than us, and I think that would be a difficult game to win. Duke's bowl bid is waiting to be won by means of victory over the University of North Carolina Tar Heels, and to be perfectly honest, that's the way I'd love it to be won.

Also, I agree that Blakenly isn't our best receiver right now, but it is an incredibly silly knee jerk reaction to think that putting him on defense would benefit Duke more than his improving on offense right now or in the foreseeable future. He is not Julius Peppers, he never will be Julius Peppers. He didn't play well against a really good defense, he's going to get better and will be a weapon for Duke. If not for Sean, then for Boone. I understand we're a little shallow right now because of injuries on defense, but just because Braxton couldn't catch and is a player on defense, doesn't mean that everyone who struggles will do the same.(that was in response to a lot of chatter on the VT postgame thread, it's just silly)

CDu
10-14-2012, 09:31 PM
I am sure we can agree to disagree. The fans may quit on the team, but the team will not quit on themselves.

Guts, pride, work ethic...any term will work. Everyone knew back on Sept 1 the second half of the schedule was going to be a lot tougher than the first half.

It is time to persevere. You know, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going" or any other sound bite one chooses to employ.

The error in your logic is implying that believing we will lose the next 3 is evidence of quitting, lack of guts, lack of pride, or (most insultingly) lack of work ethic. I can assure that I have not quit on Duke (for whatever that could possibly entail). The next 3 games are against the 1st/2nd, 2nd/3rd, and 4th best teams on our schedule. We lost to the others by more than 20 each. I don't think it is quitting to accept that the most likely scenario puts us at 0-3 in those 3 games.

budwom
10-15-2012, 08:56 AM
I agree that prospects in the next three games are not great, expected good efforts notwithstanding.
It would be wonderful if the UNC team that lost to Wake (seriously, that was ridiculous) came to Wallace Wade, but
I'm expecting that Bernard will wear us out. I have high hopes for a sixth win, but it isn't going to easy, and it probably
won't be soon.

killerleft
10-15-2012, 09:11 AM

Riddle me that...

I don't know. Why is this? Is this proof of silly or proof that sheep's bladder can be employed to prevent earthquakes?

Newton_14
10-15-2012, 09:09 PM

No, me too. Cart is well ahead of the horse. I believe our guys can get to 6 and maybe more, but won't breathe until they get there.

ForkFondler
10-15-2012, 09:30 PM
I don't know. Why is this? Is this proof of silly or proof that sheep's bladder can be employed to prevent earthquakes?

I dunno, but unlike some other posters I have kept four December MBB victories in reserve. I am undecided as to whether I should offer them all up in sacrifice for the GT or Miami games, split them between the two, or just wait for basketball season. In the mean time, I'm willing to trade Western Washington for a victory this weekend.

DukeSean
10-15-2012, 11:07 PM
No, me too. Cart is well ahead of the horse. I believe our guys can get to 6 and maybe more, but won't breathe until they get there.

If we qualified for a bowl game at 5-7, would y'all still be as enthusiastic for simply making a bowl game? I personally don't care how we get to a bowl game, even at 5-7, as long as we get to a bowl game.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-15-2012, 11:30 PM
If we qualified for a bowl game at 5-7, would y'all still be as enthusiastic for simply making a bowl game? I personally don't care how we get to a bowl game, even at 5-7, as long as we get to a bowl game.

The carolina players are talking about keeping Duke from gaining bowl eligibility against them. We're in their heads!

If we finish with only 5 victories this season, I'll say we made progress but will be disappointed in losing our last 6 in a row. I'll still celebrate and attend our bowl game!
Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!

-bdbd
10-15-2012, 11:37 PM
The carolina players are talking about keeping Duke from gaining bowl eligibility against them. We're in their heads!

If we finish with only 5 victories this season, I'll say we made progress but will be disappointed in losing our last 6 in a row. I'll still celebrate and attend our bowl game!

Funny that the Kerlina players would require that sort of extraneous motivation in a rivalry game like this. I want to beat NC just simply b/c we hate them.
That's enough motivation for me! :D

I'm with you Oz! See you in Shreveport buddy! (or Memphis?) ...just no Military Bowl please (I don't like the distance from home for that one... .................................................. ... i.e just 30 miles). ;)

- BDBD...

DukeSean
10-15-2012, 11:39 PM

Funny that the Kerlina players would require that soprt of extraneous motivation in a rivalry game like this. I want to beat NC just simply b/c we hate them. That's enough motivation for me! :D

I'm with you Oz! See you in Shreveport buddy! (or Memphis?) ...just no Military Bowl please (I don't like the distance from home for that one... ............. i.e 30 miles). ;)

- BDBD...

it's pretty hilarious that Carolina's ineligibility this year could be a major factor contributing to our bowl eligibility. Sweet sweet irony.

75Crazie
10-16-2012, 09:45 AM
This one statement, more than any else I've seen, highlights just what a farce the college bowl system has become. I for one cannot get beyond the least bit of excitement about a 5-7 team, even the team I support, playing in a bowl game.

Wander
10-16-2012, 10:36 AM
This one statement, more than any else I've seen, highlights just what a farce the college bowl system has become. I for one cannot get beyond the least bit of excitement about a 5-7 team, even the team I support, playing in a bowl game.

Agreed. I'd honestly rather Duke decline a bowl invite at 5-7.

If a real playoff isn't going to happen and the powers that be insist on keeping the ridiculous bowl system in place, I'd at least like to see 7 wins be the threshold and at the very least would like to see games against 1-AA teams not count toward bowl eligibility at all.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-16-2012, 10:47 AM
As important and exciting as a bowl bid might be, the goal to meet first is a winning season.:cool:

TruBlu
10-16-2012, 12:14 PM
As important and exciting as a bowl bid might be, the goal to meet first is a winning season.:cool:

Agreed. I told my son that I would not be overly excited about finishing the season 1-5 and going to a low level bowl with a finish like that. His response was that it was far better than finishing 0-6 and not going to a bowl. I could get far more excited with a finish of 2-4 (or better).

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Agreed. I told my son that I would not be overly excited about finishing the season 1-5 and going to a low level bowl with a finish like that. His response was that it was far better than finishing 0-6 and not going to a bowl. I could get far more excited with a finish of 2-4 (or better).

Every win is exciting and should be celebrated! This is a special team this year, easy to loose sight of as folks analyze each week's ups and downs. I believe in enjoying the moment! This is a season of magical moments.... and it's not over yet!

DukeSean
10-16-2012, 12:32 PM

Wow, tough crowd. There are a lot of benefits to getting to a bowl game even at 5-7. First of all, we can get that "haven't been to a bowl game since 1994" monkey off our back. Say what you will about the current bowl system, I hate that monkey and I don't care if we have to shoot it off with a 5-7 record. Also, we actually get to play in a bowl, and that can only help with our recruiting. If you've seen some of the interviews with recruits, they definitely see Duke as an up-and-comer, and a bowl game would help solidify that impression. Taking small steps each year will help bring us back to a winning tradition.

Of course I'd love it if we could get a win or two down the line to get us to 6-6 or 7-5, but we knew our 2nd half schedule would be tough before the season began. We did our job 1st half, now we need very good execution down the stretch, and maybe some luck, to pick up that extra win or two.

johnb
10-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Hard to imagine a bowl would actively seek out a team with a small fan base which had just lost 6 straight games.

Harder to imagine that we would turn down a bowl if one was offered.

Duvall
10-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Hard to imagine a bowl would actively seek out a team with a small fan base which had just lost 6 straight games.

This only applies if there are more bowl slots than bowl-eligible teams. Pretty sure any bowl would prefer Duke to cancellation.

CrazyNotCrazie
10-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Wow, tough crowd. There are a lot of benefits to getting to a bowl game even at 5-7. First of all, we can get that "haven't been to a bowl game since 1994" monkey off our back. Say what you will about the current bowl system, I hate that monkey and I don't care if we have to shoot it off with a 5-7 record. Also, we actually get to play in a bowl, and that can only help with our recruiting. If you've seen some of the interviews with recruits, they definitely see Duke as an up-and-comer, and a bowl game would help solidify that impression. Taking small steps each year will help bring us back to a winning tradition.

Of course I'd love it if we could get a win or two down the line to get us to 6-6 or 7-5, but we knew our 2nd half schedule would be tough before the season began. We did our job 1st half, now we need very good execution down the stretch, and maybe some luck, to pick up that extra win or two.

Good points. Also, if I understand correctly, if you are not going to a bowl, things basically shut down after the last game. A bowl trip allows the team to continue practicing until the game, which can only help with player development for the future. Only downside of a bowl trip is that most of these low tier bowls end up being pretty big money losers, but compared to the amounts they are planning to raise in the capital campaign, that would be a drop in the bucket and a problem I'd love to hsbr.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Good points. Also, if I understand correctly, if you are not going to a bowl, things basically shut down after the last game. A bowl trip allows the team to continue practicing until the game, which can only help with player development for the future. Only downside of a bowl trip is that most of these low tier bowls end up being pretty big money losers, but compared to the amounts they are planning to raise in the capital campaign, that would be a drop in the bucket and a problem I'd love to hsbr.

Perhaps the most important thing about playing in a bowl at this point in time is the additional practice time allowed. Coach Cutcliffe holds spring practice pretty early in order to get the guys back on the field as soon as possible. He's said from the beginning that the additional practice time granted by a bowl appearance is very important to maintaining and building the program.:cool:

OldPhiKap
10-16-2012, 07:19 PM

Very well put. Let's get it Saturday!

sporthenry
10-20-2012, 10:43 PM
It's over. Perhaps the quickest vigil we've ever had?

hurleyfor3
10-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Not sure what to do with this thread. Doesn't necessarily need to be locked, as there's still the issue of which bowl (and bowl-eligible doesn't mean we'll necessarily go, right?) Is this now the Bowl Selection Vigil?

DukeSean
10-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Go to hell vigil go to hell! We are going to a bowl!

BlueDevilBrowns
10-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Not sure what to do with this thread. Doesn't necessarily need to be locked, as there's still the issue of which bowl (and bowl-eligible doesn't mean we'll necessarily go, right?) Is this now the Bowl Selection Vigil?

I'm thinking Orange:D

sagegrouse
10-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Go to hell vigil go to hell! We are going to a bowl!

Whaddaya think??? Maybe the Orange Bowl??? -- sagegrouse

hurleyfor3
10-20-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm thinking Orange:D

A burnt orange, no doubt

sporthenry
10-20-2012, 10:58 PM

No way, Duke gets passed over. They loosened the rules so 5-7 teams can be bowl eligible. And Duke's first bowl since '94-'95 makes for a great storyline. Not to mention, I assume that teams that haven't made it in 18 years probably tend to travel pretty well especially if they get some place Northeast with a Duke alum base.

DukeSean
10-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Whaddaya think??? Maybe the Orange Bowl??? -- sagegrouse

i LOVE orange!

BlueDevilBrowns
10-20-2012, 11:02 PM
A burnt orange, no doubt

Yessir!

SCMatt33
10-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Personally, I'm rooting for the Music City Bowl because I'm living in Knoxville right now, but we'll probably need another win or two for that.

I agree that the practice time is important, but I think it's just bigger that the program made it over the hurdle. I think getting this close and not making would have ended up being a step backward despite the better record and play. You can just see how much it means to these guys.

BlueDevilBrowns
10-20-2012, 11:06 PM
No way, Duke gets passed over. They loosened the rules so 5-7 teams can be bowl eligible. And Duke's first bowl since '94-'95 makes for a great storyline. Not to mention, I assume that teams that haven't made it in 18 years probably tend to travel pretty well especially if they get some place Northeast with a Duke alum base.

If we finish with 7 or 8 wins, my guess is we probably go to the Belk Bowl. All 3 Duke fans living in Charlotte will be elated.

sporthenry
10-20-2012, 11:16 PM
If we finish with 7 or 8 wins, my guess is we probably go to the Belk Bowl. All 3 Duke fans living in Charlotte will be elated.

Yeah, I'm sure they'd prefer to take a NC team. It'll be interesting to see if Duke can jump some teams in conference for the bowls because its Duke and they haven't been there in so long. As mentioned, the Belk is in NC, the Music City bowl might be able to pit Vandy versus Duke so you'd have all those comparisons, and the Military Bowl gives you Washington, DC with a pretty large alumni base.

75Crazie
10-20-2012, 11:29 PM
No way, Duke gets passed over. They loosened the rules so 5-7 teams can be bowl eligible.
I don't think so, did they? I know UCLA had to request a waiver last year, and when I looked at the NCAA guidelines (after a previous incorrect post on my part) they still identify a .500 requirement.

Bluedog
10-20-2012, 11:37 PM

I don't think so, did they? I know UCLA had to request a waiver last year, and when I looked at the NCAA guidelines (after a previous incorrect post on my part) they still identify a .500 requirement.

As indicated earlier in this thread, only FIVE teams in the entire Division I FBS can be bowl eligible at 5-7 and that's only if there are still available spots after giving first option to the 6-6/6-7 teams. This is determined by the top five APR teams in the nation.

The top five APR teams this season are Northwestern, Duke, Boise State, Ohio St (not eligible for other reasons) and Northern Illinois.
http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/jerry-palm/19720653/gotta-fill-the-bowls

Those are the only teams that could conceivably be eligible for a bowl with only 5 wins, but it would have still been unlikely. In any event, we don't have to worry about that anymore! :)

sporthenry
10-20-2012, 11:41 PM

5-7 teams only get in if there aren't enough 6-6 teams. 6-6 teams can be picked over other teams like a 7-5 team. My main point was that if they had to include a rule that 5-7 teams could get a bid, it probably means there will be enough room for Duke.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8228544/ncaa-new-bowl-game-tiebreakers-include-fcs-wins-5-7-teams

MattC09
10-21-2012, 12:03 AM
To steal a song from Manchester United fans: If the blue devils should play in Rome or Mandalay, I'll be there.

According to several bowl organizers, Duke is a fairly attractive option for selection because it's our first bowl in so long. I would love it if we ended up in Miami though...:cool:

SCMatt33
10-21-2012, 12:31 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I just realized that Duke winning the division is not an unreasonable proposition. If Duke beats Georgia Tech (even with losses to Clemson and FSU), and Va Tech loses to Miami and FSU, the Duke-Miami game to end the year will be for the division. It would pit 4-3 Duke against 5-2 Miami. Duke would have given Ga Tech it's fourth loss, and the two losses by Va Tech would give them four. Of coarse, UNC could be 5-3 or even 6-2 by that point, but there something about them being ineligible. Haven't really heard too much about it.

If Duke somehow won the division, that would guarantee us a bid in the Sun Bowl or better. That's still a long way away, but we only need 4 games to go our way for it to happen, Duke-Ga Tech, Duke-Miami, Va Tech-Miami, and FSU-Miami.

uh_no
10-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I just realized that Duke winning the division is not an unreasonable proposition. If Duke beats Georgia Tech (even with losses to Clemson and FSU), and Va Tech loses to Miami and FSU, the Duke-Miami game to end the year will be for the division. It would pit 4-3 Duke against 5-2 Miami. Duke would have given Ga Tech it's fourth loss, and the two losses by Va Tech would give them four. Of coarse, UNC could be 5-3 or even 6-2 by that point, but there something about them being ineligible. Haven't really heard too much about it.

If Duke somehow won the division, that would guarantee us a bid in the Sun Bowl or better. That's still a long way away, but we only need 4 games to go our way for it to happen, Duke-Ga Tech, Duke-Miami, Va Tech-Miami, and FSU-Miami.

or we could just win out and not worry about the other games :)

OZZIE4DUKE
10-21-2012, 02:17 AM
i like Florida for my bowl games in December and January! :cool:

Wander
10-21-2012, 02:22 AM

Not sure we even need that much. Virginia Tech would beat Duke in a head-to-head tiebreaker, but what if Miami and/or UNC were also sitting at 5-3? I'm not sure how the three-way tiebreakers are going to work with UNC being ineligible.

Amazing that we have a realistic shot at winning the division by going 2-2 in the last four games.

Native
10-21-2012, 02:26 AM
Posted this on Scout as well - Russell Athletic Bowl likes us a lot. They've had officials at pretty much every home game handing out pins to students. I know they pick third so that could be awesome. Orlando's a nice destination!

Olympic Fan
10-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Now that Duke is qualified, we can actually start wondering about where Duke will go bowling ....

Just for the record, this is th ACC bowllineup -- in order of their choices:

1. BCS (Orange unless there is a title game)
2. Chick-filA in Atlanta
3. Russell Athletic in Orlando
4. Sun Bowl in El Paso
5. Belk Bowl in Charlotte
6. Music City Bowl in Nashville
7. Independence Bowl in Shreveport, La.
8. Military Bowl

At the moment, three ACC teams are bowl eligible -- Duke, FSU and Clemson .. UNC ineligible and two other teams -- Boston College and Virginia -- are almost certainly out of the running. That leaves:

N.C. State -- 5 wins and likely wins against Virginia and BC and probably Wake Forest still ahead. They'll qualify.
Virginia Tech -- 4 wins and two tough games coming up (Miami and FSU), but they finish with BC and Virginia, so they should qualify
Wake Forest -- 4 wins and just one more clear win (vs. BC). They've got to find another win from Clemson, at NC State, at Notre Dame and Vanderbilt. Going to be tough.
Maryland -- 4 wins and just one more likely win (vs. BC), Can thget nther win out of Georgia Tech, at Clemson, FSU and at UNC? Like Wake, going to be tough
Miami -- 4 wins and just one more near certainty (at Virginia), but they should get at least one more from Virginia Tech at home, USF at home and at Duke. Probably going to make it
Georgia Tech -- 3 wins and no sure things, but a bunch of winnable games -- BYU at home this week, at Maryland,at UNC, Duke and Georgia. That Mayland-Georgia Tech game may decided the bowl fate for both teams

I feel relatively certain that N.C. State and Virginia Tech qualify to give us five bowl teams. Miami and Georgia Tech have a reasonable chance. Maryland and Wake might be in trouble.

I'd guess right now that seven ACC teams qualify -- which would leave the Military Bowl, which has already lost its host team in Army (at 1-6 they aren't going to make it), out in the cold.

Duke's ultmate location depends on whether Duke finishes 6-6 or 11-2 ...

At 6-6, Duke would be last in the pecking order - whether that's the Military Bowl or the Independence Bowl depends on how many teams the ACC gets qualfied. Heck, if BC or Virginia pull an upset or two and UNC keeps winning, Duke could move up to the Music City Bowl by default.

Keep in mind the ACC's one win rule -- bowls cannot pick a team more game worse in the ACC standings than he best available team. That means you can take a 4-4 ACC team over a 5-3 team, but you can't take a 3-5 team over a 5-3 team. There are bowls that really worry about how many fans a team brings (Charlotte is the best example) and bowls that don't expect a huge fan base and would prefer a good story (The Sun Bowl, for instance). Duke is not attractive for a bowl that wants a big fan base ... but Duke does have a good story -- it's first bowl since 1994!

Reilly
10-21-2012, 02:49 PM
FSU 7-1, 4-1
Clemson 6-1, 3-1
Duke 6-2, 3-1

State 5-2, 2-1
UNC 5-3, 2-2 (ineligible b/c they're cheaters)
MD 4-3, 2-1

WFU 4-3, 2-3
Miami 4-4, 3-2
VT 4-4, 2-2

GT 3-4, 2-3
UVA 2-6, 0-4
BC 1-6, 0-4

Reilly
10-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Is there any worst-case scenario in which Duke would not get a bowl bid?

That is, say we lose out and finish 6-6. Might there be 9 non-Carolina ACC teams with 6 wins ... and is there a shot for the Kraft SF bowl to fill its slot with Navy and the PAC 12 so they wouldn't be looking at the ACC -- meaning one of the 9 w/ 6 wins is at home?

I want to be in the top 8 with four others guaranteed to be ineligible ...

UNC's out.
BC and UVa need to pick up that 7th loss.
Then, we just need Wake or MD or Miami or VT or GT to get to 7 losses, too.

ForkFondler
10-21-2012, 07:41 PM
I feel relatively certain that N.C. State and Virginia Tech qualify to give us five bowl teams. Miami and Georgia Tech have a reasonable chance. Maryland and Wake might be in trouble.

I don't like GT's chances at all. They need three more wins, and if they convert a possible win into an actual win, it will be for the first time this year. I think Maryland beats GT to become eligible./QUOTE]

Reilly
10-21-2012, 08:09 PM
FSU 7-1, 4-1 [Duke, @VT, @MD, UF]
Clemson 6-1, 3-1 [@Wake, @Duke, MD, NCSU, South Carolina]
Duke 6-2, 3-1 [@FSU, Clemson, @GT, Miami]

State 5-2, 2-1 [@UNC, UVa, Wake, @Clemson, BC]
MD 4-3, 2-1 [@BC, GT, @Clemson, FSU, @UNC]
WFU 4-3, 2-3 [Clemson, BC, @NCSU, @ND, Vandy]

Miami 4-4, 3-2 [VT, @UVA, USF, @Duke]
VT 4-4, 2-2 [@Miami, FSU, @BC, UVa]
GT 3-4, 2-3 [BYU, @MD, @UNC, Duke, @UGA]

UVA 2-6, 0-4 [@NCSU, Miami, UNC, @VT]
BC 1-6, 0-4 [Maryland, @WFU, ND, VT, @NCSU]

----------------------

UNC 5-3, 2-2 (ineligible b/c they're cheaters) [NCSU, GT, @UVa, MD]

OZZIE4DUKE
10-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Posted this on Scout as well - Russell Athletic Bowl likes us a lot. They've had officials at pretty much every home game handing out pins to students. I know they pick third so that could be awesome. Orlando's a nice destination!

Like I posted before, one of the Russell Athletic Bowl reps that has been here is not only a Duke grad (mid 80's), but a fraternity brother of mine. He personally would love Duke to be available for an Orlando visit! :cool: And I'll push for it as hard as I can!

-bdbd
10-21-2012, 10:03 PM
As I posted on the Duke-UNC FB game string Sat. night after the game, here is what you need to know about the Bowl possibilities. Looks like we'll be bowling between Dec. 27th and Jan. 1 -- keep those dates free on your travel calendars!!

I say, at the next home game, we see the student section - if we are about to win - start tossing Oranges on the field.... ;)

BTW, for those not familliar with the Bowl selection process - perfectly understandable given our history - the Bowls get to pick who they want from the conference, once the BCS selection(s) take place. (Correct me if I am wrong if anyone thinks this has changed.) So, after the Orange gets the ACC champion (automatic), then the Chic Fil-a Bowl gets to pick WHOEVER they want, and isn't limited to the ACC runner-up. They often take the school that will bring the biggest fan base or TV audience to town, within reason on the different records. So typically a Clemson or a FSU or a VPI would get taken over a Duke team with the same record. (And big-fanbase-teams often do get picked before smaller schools even if the latter has a one win or two win better record.) All that to say, if FSU or Clemson were to win the ACC, then it seems likely that the other gets the Chic-Fil-A. Russell Athletic at #3 (and then Sun Bowl at #4) may be hard-pressed to ignore an in-state option in Miami or a big fanbase in NCSU or VPI. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. We'll know by early-Dec.

From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanti...nce#Bowl_games

Order of selection for ACC bowl participants[23] Pick Name Location Opposing Conference Opposing Pick
1* Orange Bowl Miami Gardens, Florida BCS -
2 Chick-fil-A Bowl Atlanta, Georgia SEC 3/4/5
3 Russell Athletic Bowl Orlando, Florida Big East 2
4 Sun Bowl El Paso, Texas Pac-12 4
5 Belk Bowl Charlotte, North Carolina Big East 3
6 Music City Bowl Nashville, Tennessee SEC 7/8
7 Independence Bowl Shreveport, Louisiana SEC 10
8 Military Bowl Washington, D.C. Army 2012, Big 12 2013 -
9** Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl San Francisco, California Pac-12, WAC, Army, or Navy -

Complete Bowl schedule:
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/coll...l-schedule.php

2012-13 College Football Bowl Schedule
Bowl Location Date/Time TV Tickets
Gildan New Mexico
MWC #4 vs. Pac-12 #7 Albuquerque, NM
University Stadium Sat., Dec. 15
1:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Famous Idaho Potato
WAC #1-2 vs. MAC #3 Boise, ID
Bronco Stadium Sat., Dec. 15
4:30 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
San Diego County CU Poinsettia
BYU vs. MWC #2 San Diego, CA
Qualcomm Stadium Thu., Dec. 20
8:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Beef 'O' Brady's
Big East #6 vs. C-USA #4 St. Petersburg, FL
Tropicana Field Fri., Dec. 21
7:30 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
R+L Carriers New Orleans
Sun Belt #1 vs. C-USA #6 New Orleans, LA
Mercedes-Benz Superdome Sat., Dec. 22
12:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
MAACO Bowl Las Vegas
MWC #1 vs. Pac-12 #5 Las Vegas, NV
Sam Boyd Stadium Sat., Dec. 22
3:30 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Sheraton Hawaii
C-USA #2 vs. MWC #5 Honolulu, HI
Aloha Stadium Mon., Dec. 24
8:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Little Caesars Pizza
Big Ten #8 vs. MAC #2 Detroit, MI
Ford Field Wed., Dec. 26
Tickets
Military
Army vs. ACC #8 Washington, DC
RFK Stadium Thu., Dec. 27
3:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Belk
ACC #5 vs. Big East #3 Charlotte, NC
Bank of America Stadium Thu., Dec. 27
6:30 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Bridgepoint Education Holiday
Pac-12 #3 vs. Big 12 #5 San Diego, CA
Qualcomm Stadium Thu., Dec. 27
9:45 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
AdvoCare V100 Independence
ACC #7 vs. SEC Shreveport, LA
Independence Stadium Fri., Dec. 28
2:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Russell Athletic
Big East #2 vs. ACC #3 Orlando, FL
Florida Citrus Bowl Fri., Dec. 28
5:30 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas
Big 12 #6 vs. Big Ten #6 Houston, TX
Reliant Stadium Fri., Dec. 28
9:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Bell Helicopter Armed Forces
C-USA #3 vs. MWC #4-5 Fort Worth, TX
Amon G. Carter Stadium Sat., Dec. 29
11:45 a.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Kraft Fight Hunger
Navy vs. Pac-12 #6 San Francisco, CA
AT&T Park Sat., Dec. 29
3:15 p.m. ET ESPN/2 Buy
Tickets
New Era Pinstripe
Big 12 #7 vs. Big East #4 Bronx, NY
Yankee Stadium Sat., Dec. 29
3:15 p.m. ET ESPN/2 Buy
Tickets
Valero Alamo
Pac-12 #2 vs. Big 12 #3 San Antonio, TX
Alamodome Sat., Dec. 29
6:45 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Buffalo Wild Wings
Big 12 #4 vs. Big Ten #4-5 Tempe, AZ
Sun Devil Stadium Sat., Dec. 29
10:15 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Franklin Amer. Mort. Music City
ACC #6 vs. SEC #7 Nashville, TN
LP Field Mon., Dec. 31
12:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Hyundai Sun
ACC #4 vs. Pac-12 #4 El Paso, TX
Sun Bowl Mon., Dec. 31 2:00 p.m. ET CBS Buy
Tickets
AutoZone Liberty
C-USA #1 vs. Big East #5/SEC #8-9 Memphis, TN
Liberty Bowl Mon., Dec. 31 3:30 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Chick-fil-A
ACC #2 vs. SEC #5 Atlanta, GA
Georgia Dome Mon., Dec. 31
Tickets
Heart of Dallas
Big Ten #7 vs. Big 12 Dallas, TX
Cotton Bowl Tue., Jan. 1
12:00 p.m. ET ESPNU Buy
Tickets
TaxSlayer.com Gator
Big Ten #4-5 vs. SEC #6 Jacksonville, FL
EverBank Field Tue., Jan. 1
12:00 p.m. ET ESPN2 Buy
Tickets
Capital One
Big Ten #2 vs. SEC #2 Orlando, FL
Florida Citrus Bowl Tue., Jan. 1
1:00 p.m. ET TBA Buy
Tickets
Outback
Big Ten #3 vs. SEC #3-4 Tampa, FL
Raymond James Stadium Tue., Jan. 1
1:00 p.m. ET TBA Buy
Tickets
Rose Bowl Game
BCS Big Ten #1 vs. BCS Pac-12 #1 Pasadena, CA
Rose Bowl Tue., Jan. 1
5:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Discover Orange
BCS/ACC #1 vs. BCS At-Large Miami Gardens, FL
Sun Life Stadium Tue., Jan. 1
8:30 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
Allstate Sugar
BCS/SEC #1 vs. BCS At-Large New Orleans, LA
Mercedes-Benz Superdome Wed., Jan. 2
Tickets
Tostitos Fiesta
BCS/Big 12 #1 vs. BCS At-Large Glendale, AZ
U. of Phoenix Stadium Thu., Jan. 3
Tickets
AT&T Cotton
Big 12 #2 vs. SEC #3-4 Arlington, TX
Cowboys Stadium Fri., Jan. 4
8:00 p.m. ET FOX Buy
Tickets
BBVA Compass
SEC #8-9 vs. Big East #5/C-USA Birmingham, AL
Legion Field Sat., Jan. 5
1:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
GoDaddy.com
MAC #1 vs. Sun Belt #2 Mobile, AL
Ladd-Peebles Stadium Sun., Jan. 6
9:00 p.m. ET ESPN Buy
Tickets
BCS National Championship
BCS #1 vs. BCS #2 Miami Gardens, FL
Sun Life Stadium Mon., Jan. 7
Tickets

jimsumner
10-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Is there any worst-case scenario in which Duke would not get a bowl bid?

That is, say we lose out and finish 6-6. Might there be 9 non-Carolina ACC teams with 6 wins ... and is there a shot for the Kraft SF bowl to fill its slot with Navy and the PAC 12 so they wouldn't be looking at the ACC -- meaning one of the 9 w/ 6 wins is at home?

I want to be in the top 8 with four others guaranteed to be ineligible ...

UNC's out.
BC and UVa need to pick up that 7th loss.
Then, we just need Wake or MD or Miami or VT or GT to get to 7 losses, too.

Mathematically possible, I suppose, but highly unlikely.

Let's look at Maryland. They likely beat BC to get to five. But the rest of their schedule is GT, Clemson, FSU and UNC. Good chance they lose all of them.

If they somehow beat GT, then that seriously hurts Tech's chances to get to six with a schedule that includes BYU, UNC, Duke and Georgia. How many of those are they going to win?

Wake is in the same boat as Maryland. BC projects as a fifth win but Clemson, NC State, Notre Dame and Vanderbilt don't. They do get Vandy at home to end the season, so there's a chance there.

Miami needs two and should beat Virginia and South Florida.

State would have to collapse. Likewise, VT.

I think there's some real concern that the ACC won't even get to eight.

I also think it highly unlikely that Duke finishes 6-6. I think GT and Miami are very, very winnable. And even at 6-6, Duke would almost certainly get the nod over a 6-6 Wake team and likely a 6-6 Maryland team. There is a real novelty factor at work here that makes Duke an attractive option.

-bdbd
10-21-2012, 10:32 PM
(On a 6-6 Duke team getting left out.) Mathematically possible, I suppose, but highly unlikely.

Let's look at Maryland. They likely beat BC to get to five. But the rest of their schedule is GT, Clemson, FSU and UNC. Good chance they lose all of them. If they somehow beat GT, then that seriously hurts Tech's chances to get to six with a schedule that includes BYU, UNC, Duke and Georgia. How many of those are they going to win?

Wake is in the same boat as Maryland. BC projects as a fifth win but Clemson, NC State, Notre Dame and Vanderbilt don't. They do get Vandy at home to end the season, so there's a chance there.

Miami needs two and should beat Virginia and South Florida.

State would have to collapse. Likewise, VT. I think there's some real concern that the ACC won't even get to eight.

I also think it highly unlikely that Duke finishes 6-6. I think GT and Miami are very, very winnable. And even at 6-6, Duke would almost certainly get the nod over a 6-6 Wake team and likely a 6-6 Maryland team. There is a real novelty factor at work here that makes Duke an attractive option.

Very good summary Jim. I agree across the board. For reference, to my recollection the BEST the ACC has ever done was 9 qualifying teams, and that was very unusual. 7-8 is normal. What I worry more about is a 7-5 Duke team getting bypassed for a bowl in favor of a 6-6 Ga Tech or Miami or VPI. It seems to me we may reasonably look for being around the 5th - 7th ACC selection if we were to end up at 7-5. Of course I'm hoping for better, as Miami is lovely in early January!! :cool:
(but Charlotte or Nashville are not bad either!)

sporthenry
10-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Very good summary Jim. I agree across the board. For reference, to my recollection the BEST the ACC has ever done was 9 qualifying teams, and that was very unusual. 7-8 is normal. What I worry more about is a 7-5 Duke team getting bypassed for a bowl in favor of a 6-6 Ga Tech or Miami or VPI. It seems to me we may reasonably look for being around the 5th - 7th ACC selection if we were to end up at 7-5. Of course I'm hoping for better, as Miami is lovely in early January!! :cool:

I can't see Duke being passed up. Sure Va. Tech has the size and alumni base but other than that, Duke is a great story. Did you see those pictures of Miami's stadium when it was mostly empty? And I doubt Va. Tech fans are going to be lining up for the Music City Bowl when they are used to BCS bowls.

Duke is a great story, some bowl will look to capitalize on it and if they can pit them against a team like Vandy, it would make for an academic bowl of sorts. If anything, I think Duke could pass over a 7-5 ACC team and Duke might be a trendy pick for a bowl.

Dukehky
10-21-2012, 11:39 PM
I don't wanna have to go to Shreveport...

loran16
10-22-2012, 12:52 AM

Actually the ACC had 10 teams qualify in 2008, with UVA going 5-7 and Duke going 4-8 (Hell of a season). But that was a freak season.

DukeSean
10-22-2012, 10:13 AM
I don't wanna have to go to Shreveport...

LOL. Shreveport is my only hope of physically going to the bowl game. 2 weeks before schedule baby due date, I gotta be within driving distance of home. Already got the OK from wifey :)

wilson
10-22-2012, 01:07 PM
I've seen at least one updated set of bowl projections today that has us in the Sun Bowl, in El Paso. To me, that's the nightmare scenario. Any of the other possibilities, I'm there, no questions asked. But I highly doubt if I can get to the westernmost corner of Texas on New Year's Eve. Sun Bowl organizers even generally admit that they don't care much about in-person attendance, so that's another worry. I really hope they don't pick us.

blazindw
10-22-2012, 01:32 PM
I can't see Duke being passed up. Sure Va. Tech has the size and alumni base but other than that, Duke is a great story. Did you see those pictures of Miami's stadium when it was mostly empty? And I doubt Va. Tech fans are going to be lining up for the Music City Bowl when they are used to BCS bowls.

Duke is a great story, some bowl will look to capitalize on it and if they can pit them against a team like Vandy, it would make for an academic bowl of sorts. If anything, I think Duke could pass over a 7-5 ACC team and Duke might be a trendy pick for a bowl.

Miami has had huge ebbs and flows for games this year. They had two home games against Bethune Cookman and GT that barely drew students and parents, but there were about 25,000 Canes fans in Chicago for the ND game, despite that being considered a ND home game and ND controlling the ticket sales (I was there and even we were shocked at how many Canes fans were in the stadium). Miami's attendance depends on the opponent. If it's a big time opponent or a rival, they'll draw big numbers.

Acymetric
10-22-2012, 06:06 PM
As I posted on the Duke-UNC FB game string Sat. night after the game, here is what you need to know about the Bowl possibilities. Looks like we'll be bowling between Dec. 27th and Jan. 1 -- keep those dates free on your travel calendars!!

I say, at the next home game, we see the student section - if we are about to win - start tossing Oranges on the field.... ;)

BTW, for those not familliar with the Bowl selection process - perfectly understandable given our history - the Bowls get to pick who they want from the conference, once the BCS selection(s) take place. (Correct me if I am wrong if anyone thinks this has changed.) So, after the Orange gets the ACC champion (automatic), then the Chic Fil-a Bowl gets to pick WHOEVER they want, and isn't limited to the ACC runner-up. They often take the school that will bring the biggest fan base or TV audience to town, within reason on the different records. So typically a Clemson or a FSU or a VPI would get taken over a Duke team with the same record. (And big-fanbase-teams often do get picked before smaller schools even if the latter has a one win or two win better record.) All that to say, if FSU or Clemson were to win the ACC, then it seems likely that the other gets the Chic-Fil-A. Russell Athletic at #3 (and then Sun Bowl at #4) may be hard-pressed to ignore an in-state option in Miami or a big fanbase in NCSU or VPI. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. We'll know by early-Dec.

This is incorrect. Our tied-in bowls can pick the top team available (in ACC standings) or any team within 1 game of the top available team in the standings. So (to use an example that is not possible this season) a bowl cannot pick a 6-6 Clemson over an 8-4 Duke no matter how bad they want to. A bowl could choose a 6-6 Clemson over a 7-5 Duke.

Newton_14
10-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Miami has had huge ebbs and flows for games this year. They had two home games against Bethune Cookman and GT that barely drew students and parents, but there were about 25,000 Canes fans in Chicago for the ND game, despite that being considered a ND home game and ND controlling the ticket sales (I was there and even we were shocked at how many Canes fans were in the stadium). Miami's attendance depends on the opponent. If it's a big time opponent or a rival, they'll draw big numbers.

This is something that has befuddled me for sometime now. I was in my teens and twenties in the glory days of the 80's, and remember all too well sold out, packed stadiums in the Orange Bowl. They went through the probation deal in the 90's, but recovered to win another title. They have not had horrible teams since the rebuild, but did go from perennial Top 5 program to a state of in and out of the Top 25 year over year. I never noticed the crowd issue until the last couple of years, and was incredulous when I did.

How did they get to the point where the stadium is 60% or more empty, even with teams that are competitive? It is just bizarre.

Any insight on that would be appreciated it. I just don't get it.

DU82
10-22-2012, 10:06 PM
This is something that has befuddled me for sometime now. I was in my teens and twenties in the glory days of the 80's, and remember all too well sold out, packed stadiums in the Orange Bowl. They went through the probation deal in the 90's, but recovered to win another title. They have not had horrible teams since the rebuild, but did go from perennial Top 5 program to a state of in and out of the Top 25 year over year. I never noticed the crowd issue until the last couple of years, and was incredulous when I did.

How did they get to the point where the stadium is 60% or more empty, even with teams that are competitive? It is just bizarre.

Could it be related to moving games to Joe Robbie Stadium (whatever its current name is?)

I'm not familiar enough with Miami geography to know if it's a factor, but hope to learn more about traveling around the Miami area this New Year's Day!

Olympic Fan
10-23-2012, 12:34 AM
This is incorrect. Our tied-in bowls can pick the top team available (in ACC standings) or any team within 1 game of the top available team in the standings. So (to use an example that is not possible this season) a bowl cannot pick a 6-6 Clemson over an 8-4 Duke no matter how bad they want to. A bowl could choose a 6-6 Clemson over a 7-5 Duke.

Just a small correction. The ACC does have a one-win rule, but it only applies to conference record -- overall record is irrelevant.

The winner of the ACC championship game goes to the BCS -- either the BCS championship game (not happening this year) or the Orange Bowl.

Before the Chick-fil-A Bowl picks, they have to wait and see if a second BCS bowl wants an ACC team as an at-large. That happened last year when Virginia Tech got a Sugar Bowl bid after losing in the ACC title game. It's possible that if FSU and Clemson win out (which would mean beating Florida and South Carolina, respectively in the finale) that both could get BCS bids. I'm not positive, but pretty sure that the one-win rule only applies to the ACC bowl partners -- a second BCS bowl would not be bound by it. But what are the chances they would take a team with two more ACC losses than the team they don't want?

The Chick-Fil-A Bowl does NOT have to take the ACC title game runnerup. For instance, if it plays out like it looks now -- with FSU winning the Atlantic Division on the strenth of its head-to-head victory over Clemson ... and Clemson loses either one more ACC game or the finale against South Carolina, I'd bet serious money that Clemson plays in Atlanta, ranther that Coastal champ -- whether that's Miami, Virginia Tech or Duke.

As for a bowl picking Duke over Virginia Tech because we're a better stoy (or more exciting) .... or picking Virginia Tech because they have a bigger fan following, that depends on the bowl. As I said earlier, the Belk Bowl wants fannies in the seats -- all things being near-equal, they would take Virginia Tech (or NC State). The Sun Bowl, which doesn't expect to draw many fans from the ACC team, could very well pick Duke. The different bowls have different agendas.

But as I noted earlier, Duke's ultimate destination depends on how many wins they add to the current 6. A 6-6 Duke wouldn't be that attractive ... an 8-4 Duke would be a hot bowl property.

-bdbd
10-23-2012, 12:55 AM

Thanks A - I wasn't aware of that nuance.

But I think the point still remains to an extent, since there's probably going to be more than one or two other ACC schools either tied with our record or with one less win, and who might be expected to bring a bigger TV audience or stadium crowd, either due to a larger alumni base, proximity to the Bowl in question, or simple FB tradition. To that last point, at some schools that I have visited it is simply expected, much like Duke BB, that every year they will be playing in the post-season. So many fan families make it part of their holiday plans months in advance that they will be "loading up the camper" and heading to the bowl game after Christmas. They just don't know exactly where until a few weeks before. I doubt that (expectation) could be said of us Duke fans before a few weeks ago. :rolleyes:

I just didn't want folks to be too shocked to see a 7-5 Duke squad get bypassed in favor of a 7-5 VPI or 6-6 Ga Tech, or Miami, even if we may have beaten them. I was at our last bowl, and it is safe to say that we were hugely outnumbered by Wisc. fans, quite a few of whom had driven the 1,000+ miles to take in the holidays in sunny central Florida. Many were more than happy to regail you with stories from the previous 6-10 Badger bowl games that they'd attended....

BTW, I would strongly encourage any of you thinking about it to make the trip - you WILL have a lot of fun with many like-minded fans. Hell, even the Wisc. fans were fun to hang out with -- I even still have a picture from a tailgate in the parking lot in Tampa of me and a pal in Duke garb, wearing cheesehead hats with a pleasant group of their fans. It is just an excuse for a days-long party, capped off by an exciting FB game in a packed stadium. I'm sure Duke will be allocated several thousand tickets to sell to its fans for whichever game we are selected. :cool:

fan345678
10-23-2012, 01:10 AM

actually, VT fans have been complaining about repeated trips to Miami (seriously), so they would very much like to go to Nashville...especially if a few offensive coaches are fired between the regular season and the bowls and there's a chance to see a new system

Greg_Newton
10-23-2012, 02:25 AM
Still pinching myself:

‏@RussellAthBowl Hearing reports that there was a lot of positive Duke chatter at this morning's Selection Committee meeting. #ElDiablosAzul

Seems like we might actually make it over VT/Miami if we can find a way to finish 2-2 - a huge if, of course.

(That would be the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, FL, BTW!)

Acymetric
10-23-2012, 04:26 AM
Just a small correction. The ACC does have a one-win rule, but it only applies to conference record -- overall record is irrelevant.

Edit: Oops, I see where I messed up there. I did say "within one game in the ACC standings" (or something very similar) but then proceeded to list overall records instead of conference records...thanks for clarifying for me!

AIRFORCEDUKIE
10-23-2012, 01:30 PM

Since I live in the area where the canes play I have a few insights. The stadium is off campus so there are less students Ar games. Sun life stadium is the new name and it is a dreadful place to watch a game. There is no shade anywhere so half of the fans are at the picnic tables and bars within the stadium because its just too hot. I attended the N.C. State game there and had to take breaks in the shade every half hour. If they were in league with UF or. FSU the fans would stay but its simply not a fun team to watch for fans who expect better. Unbearable heat plus a not so good Miami team equals bad attendance. Hence Dolphins games also being on the brink of blackouts on a weekly basis. They need an indoor stadium here like the Marlins just built. But that is a long ways away.

blazindw
10-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Since I live in the area where the canes play I have a few insights. The stadium is off campus so there are less students Ar games. Sun life stadium is the new name and it is a dreadful place to watch a game. There is no shade anywhere so half of the fans are at the picnic tables and bars within the stadium because its just too hot. I attended the N.C. State game there and had to take breaks in the shade every half hour. If they were in league with UF or. FSU the fans would stay but its simply not a fun team to watch for fans who expect better. Unbearable heat plus a not so good Miami team equals bad attendance. Hence Dolphins games also being on the brink of blackouts on a weekly basis. They need an indoor stadium here like the Marlins just built. But that is a long ways away.

As a UM Law alum, I've long been an outspoken critic of the move to Sun Life, mostly for a lot of the reasons you state. I also thought that the stadium is just way too big and that a smaller stadium (50-55K) much closer to campus, or to the Metrorail), would help create a better atmosphere. But, a stadium with shade or a roof of some sort would help keep people in the stands during games. Also, the TV contracts affect attendance. Before gametimes were dictated by TV networks, Miami tried to play most of their games at night when it was cooler. It's borderline criminal to have kids play football during the day in the early fall in Miami...it's just as hot to be in the stands to watch them.

throatybeard
10-23-2012, 10:05 PM
To the last two posts--exactly. Outdoor football games in Florida are abject torture unless you're really lucky with a front in one of two months, December or January.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-23-2012, 10:47 PM
BTW, I would strongly encourage any of you thinking about it to make the trip - you WILL have a lot of fun with many like-minded fans. Hell, even the Wisc. fans were fun to hang out with -- I even still have a picture from a tailgate in the parking lot in Tampa of me and a pal in Duke garb :cool:

This time, BDBD, you can tailgate with a bunch of fraternity brothers and the TBCC, both of which will there in force! I was in Tampa with several other brothers "back in the day". I sure hope it's Orlando! :cool:

MattC09
10-23-2012, 10:55 PM
As a celebration of Duke being kind enough to host the Rose Bowl 70 years ago and the Big 10 being awful, I think they should invite Duke to play in the Rose Bowl this year. :cool:

Edit: Also, I don't fancy a trip to El Paso very much, but that might just be me...

OldPhiKap
10-23-2012, 11:41 PM
I was at our last bowl, and it is safe to say that we were hugely outnumbered by Wisc. fans, quite a few of whom had driven the 1,000+ miles to take in the holidays in sunny central Florida. Many were more than happy to regail you with stories from the previous 6-10 Badger bowl games that they'd attended....

BTW, I would strongly encourage any of you thinking about it to make the trip - you WILL have a lot of fun with many like-minded fans. Hell, even the Wisc. fans were fun to hang out with -- I even still have a picture from a tailgate in the parking lot in Tampa of me and a pal in Duke garb, wearing cheesehead hats with a pleasant group of their fans. It is just an excuse for a days-long party, capped off by an exciting FB game in a packed stadium. I'm sure Duke will be allocated several thousand tickets to sell to its fans for whichever game we are selected. :cool:

I second this and had the same experience in Tampa. I will be at whatever bowl we are honored to play in and encourage all to join suit.

Olympic Fan
10-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Duke Football Bowl Tickets On Sale Now

October 24, 2012

DURHAM, N.C. – On the strength of its 33-30 victory over North Carolina this past Saturday, the Duke football team became bowl-eligible for the first time since 1994. Fans interested in following the Blue Devils to its bowl destination may register for tickets at GoDuke.com/tickets or by calling 919-681-BLUE.

Fans are asked to select the game(s) they would be willing to travel to from the list of potential bowls based on the Atlantic Coast Conference’s bowl partnerships as well as the number of tickets at each site, and register via credit card. Once the Blue Devils are selected for their bowl destination, the ticket order will automatically be charged.

No refunds will be available once a site has been selected. Ticket seating will be based on Iron Duke priority with all fans who register before November 30th gaining a higher seating priority than those that register after the date. The ACC and the bowl sites will officially announce bids on December 3.

CameronBornAndBred
10-24-2012, 04:06 PM
DURHAM, N.C. – On the strength of its 33-30 victory over North Carolina this past Saturday, the Duke football team became bowl-eligible for the first time since 1994. Fans interested in following the Blue Devils to its bowl destination may register for tickets at GoDuke.com/tickets or by calling 919-681-BLUE.

Part of that scares me...specifically this part.

If the opportunity exists to upgrade to a higher priced ticket, this will happen automatically and you will be charged the difference in the upgraded ticket cost

Am I reading that correctly or is there a chance to opt out of that? I'll wait and choose my own options..I don't want to be upgraded to a higher price automatically.

jjasper0729
10-24-2012, 05:06 PM

Am I reading that correctly or is there a chance to opt out of that? I'll wait and choose my own options..I don't want to be upgraded to a higher price automatically.

I'm with you. There's also the statement that once you register your card, there will be NO (emphasis theirs) opting out or refunds. I'll wait until the option becomes a little clearer. I konw why the ywant to know sooner so they can figure out ticket interest but still... I wouldn't do that for any site, even Duke.

throatybeard
10-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Yeah, that scares me too. It sounds like you could be kicked into the expensive seats just because you committed to attending in Charlotte.

Also, there is no option for zero tickets at a Bowl in the interface. You have to commit to one, it looks like. My mother damn near died this past summer and I can only do a side trip from Winston on the 27th (Belk) or Nashville (Music City) on the way back to StL. I can't commit to El Paso.

OldPhiKap
10-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Yeah, that scares me too. It sounds like you could be kicked into the expensive seats just because you committed to attending in Charlotte.

Also, there is no option for zero tickets at a Bowl in the interface. You have to commit to one, it looks like. My mother damn near died this past summer and I can only do a side trip from Winston on the 27th (Belk) or Nashville (Music City) on the way back to StL. I can't commit to El Paso.

I assume and hope someone smarter than me will put a bug in the home office's ear to clear some of these questions up.

sagegrouse
10-24-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm with you. There's also the statement that once you register your card, there will be NO (emphasis theirs) opting out or refunds. I'll wait until the option becomes a little clearer. I konw why the ywant to know sooner so they can figure out ticket interest but still... I wouldn't do that for any site, even Duke.

Hey, maybe this idea could be adapted to tuition charges. Students with better grades get charged more because their education is more valuable.

sagegrouse

uh_no
10-25-2012, 01:02 AM
we can win the division by going 1-3 from here on out if:

a) we beat miami and
b) gt loses to both md and unc and
c1) miami loses to VT, and VT loses to fsu bc and uva or
c2) miami loses to UVA, and VT loses to 2 of fsu, bc, and uva

fun to think about, but i son't think a)miami will lose to uva, or b)VT will lose 3 of their remaining games....

but hey, its okay, since i'm confident we're going to win out.

Reilly
10-25-2012, 07:09 AM
we can win the division by going 1-3 from here on out if:

a) we beat miami and
b) gt loses to both md and unc and
c1) miami loses to VT, and VT loses to fsu bc and uva or
c2) miami loses to UVA, and VT loses to 2 of fsu, bc, and uva

fun to think about, but i son't think a)miami will lose to uva, or b)VT will lose 3 of their remaining games....

but hey, its okay, since i'm confident we're going to win out.

Easier scenario (I think this is right): Duke beats GT and Miami; Miami beats VT; fsu beats vt

budwom
10-25-2012, 09:37 AM
It's nice to see that Duke is trying to get commitments for ticket purchases, but I'd say there's about a zero chance that tickets will end up
being in short supply. Once we know where we're going, fans will be able to make much better choices about tickets.

If the game were in Charlotte, for example, you might drive with friends and commit to eight tickets. If it's in
El Paso, two tickets might be more realistic.

uh_no
10-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Easier scenario (I think this is right): Duke beats GT and Miami; Miami beats VT; fsu beats vt

yes....but that requires two wins by us....the exercise was to find a scenario in which we could win the division with only one more win....which i did successfully....i didn't say it was easy or probable...just that it exists

jv001
10-25-2012, 11:10 AM
yes....but that requires two wins by us....the exercise was to find a scenario in which we could win the division with only one more win....which i did successfully....i didn't say it was easy or probable...just that it exists

I see what you were doing with Duke having to win just one more game. But I think we have a better chance of winning two games than having BC, VA & MD beating any of the top teams. GoDuke!

Reilly
10-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Clemson 7-1, 4-1 [@Duke, MD, NCSU, South Carolina]

WFU 4-4, 2-4 [BC, @NCSU, @ND, Vandy]

----------------------

loran16
10-26-2012, 01:37 AM

----------------------

Wow there are a lot of teams in trouble. State's gonna be in (UVA, Wake, and BC on the schedule make it easy). VT should be in (UVA, BC). After that.....you got a whole bunch of mess. Wake's in major trouble since NC State (@NCSU), ND, and Vandy should all beat them. GT is in trouble because they should only be favored in the MD game and they NEED to beat Duke. Maryland has ideally 2 wins on the schedule (BC, GT)....but they're down to QB #4 (really 5 after O'Brien transferred) and are injured to hell). And hell, Miami could be in trouble if they lose to VT.

You could see only 5 teams be bowl eligible. Yikes!

BigWayne
10-26-2012, 08:16 PM
I got his just now...

Dear Duke fan,

What an exciting time to be a Duke Blue Devil! The Duke Football team is 6-2 overall, sitting atop the ACC's Coastal Division standings, and have secured bowl eligibility for the first time since 1994 thanks to the 33-30 win over arch rival North Carolina last weekend - the Victory Bell will now reside in the Yoh Center!

Iron Dukes members have priority for Football Bowl Game tickets and travel. Our records indicate that you do not have a pledge or contribution to the Iron Dukes Annual Fund for the 2012-13 fiscal year. The priority deadline for the bowl game is October 31 and we strongly encourage you to consider making a pledge or commitment by that date to positively affect your bowl priority.

You can make a pledge online today by clicking HERE, or by calling us at 919-613-7575. Please consider making a commitment today. If you have questions, please feel free to give us a call or visit us on the web at www.IronDukes.net.

Go Duke!

Like was said above, I just can't see a scenario where the allotted tickets for Duke will be in short supply. I am very glad to see the ticket office having this task to work on though.

BigWayne
10-26-2012, 08:29 PM

For the Orange Bowl (not very likely I know) it puts you in at a $75 ticket in the nosebleed seats. Highest price tickets are $215, so you could theoretically get bumped up.

Each bowl is a separate purchase transaction, so I don't think you can sign up for Belk tickets and get upgraded to another city.

Reilly
10-27-2012, 08:01 PM
FSU 8-1, 5-1 [@VT, @MD, UF]
Duke 6-3, 3-2 [Clemson, @GT, Miami]

State 5-3, 2-2 [UVa, Wake, @Clemson, BC]

MD 4-4, 2-2 [GT, @Clemson, FSU, @UNC]
GT 3-5, 2-3 [@MD, @UNC, Duke, @UGA]

BC 2-6, 1-4 [@WFU, ND, VT, @NCSU]

----------------------

UNC 6-3, 3-2 (ineligible b/c they're cheaters) [GT, @UVa, MD]

Olympic Fan
10-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Wow, today was a terrible day for the ACC's borderline bowl teams -- specifically Maryland and Georgia Tech.

Maryland, by losing to BC, has suddenly made it very, very unlikely that the Terps wil qualify for a bowl. They are 4-4 and need to win two of their last four (with their fourth string QB). They got Georgia Tech at home next week and the Jackets are in free fall (more on them in a minute), but after that they have at Clemson, FSU at home and at UNC. It looks like they are staying home.

Georgia Tech's path is almost as tough after losing to BYU. They are 3-5 and need to win THREE of their final four. Okay, they got crippled Maryland next week, but even if you give them that, they've got to win two of three from at UNC, Duke and at Georgia. Possible, but no room for error.

At the moment, just three ACC teams have qualified for bowls -- Duke, FSU and Clemson. UNC would be a fourth, but they are ineligible. Virginia and BC are out of it. That leaves:

NC State (5-3) -- despite today's loss they'll make it with Virginia, Wake Forest and BC on the schedule -- all at home (also at Clemson).

Virginia Tech (4-4) -- two tough ones coming up the next two Thursday nights -- at Miami and FSU at home. After that, they finish at BC and Virginia at home. They should make it -- barely.

Miami (4-4) need two wins from Virginia Tech (at home Thursday night), at Virginia, USF and at Duke. I give them a good shot to make it.

Wake Forest (4-4) -- should get one win this week with BC at home ... but where do they get their sixth win? at NC State, at Notre Dame ... maybe Vanderbilt at home (although they are pretty good).

There is a chance that just five ACC teams qualify, although I think six will make it ... and seven are possible.

Duke keeps climbing even without winning.

If 5 teams qualify, the worst we could do would be the Music City Bowl in Nashville. If six make it, we could drop to the Independence Bowl.

Duvall
10-27-2012, 10:29 PM
There is a chance that just five ACC teams qualify, although I think six will make it ... and seven are possible.

If 5 teams qualify, the worst we could do would be the Music City Bowl in Nashville. If six make it, we could drop to the Independence Bowl.

Music City Bowl picks 6th, after the Orange, Chik-Fil-A, Russell Athletic, Sun and Belk Bowls. (http://issuu.com/theacc/docs/2012_acc_fb_guide/18)

ForkFondler
10-27-2012, 11:02 PM

I'm not really all that enthusiastic about playing FSU again, even if it is for the league championship. If Duke ends up as the Coastal champion with a 4-4 record, i think UVa should go to Charlotte.

msdukie
10-27-2012, 11:47 PM
I'm not really all that enthusiastic about playing FSU again, even if it is for the league championship. If Duke ends up as the Coastal champion with a 4-4 record, i think UVa should go to Charlotte.

Huh? I'm pretty sure that I'll take a division championship and the right to play in an ACC Championship game.

-bdbd
10-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Wow, today was a terrible day for the ACC's borderline bowl teams -- specifically Maryland and Georgia Tech.

Maryland, by losing to BC, has suddenly made it very, very unlikely that the Terps wil qualify for a bowl. They are 4-4 and need to win two of their last four (with their fourth string QB). They got Georgia Tech at home next week and the Jackets are in free fall (more on them in a minute), but after that they have at Clemson, FSU at home and at UNC. It looks like they are staying home.

Georgia Tech's path is almost as tough after losing to BYU. They are 3-5 and need to win THREE of their final four. Okay, they got crippled Maryland next week, but even if you give them that, they've got to win two of three from at UNC, Duke and at Georgia. Possible, but no room for error.

At the moment, just three ACC teams have qualified for bowls -- Duke, FSU and Clemson. UNC would be a fourth, but they are ineligible. Virginia and BC are out of it. That leaves:

NC State (5-3) -- despite today's loss they'll make it with Virginia, Wake Forest and BC on the schedule -- all at home (also at Clemson).

Virginia Tech (4-4) -- two tough ones coming up the next two Thursday nights -- at Miami and FSU at home. After that, they finish at BC and Virginia at home. They should make it -- barely.

Miami (4-4) need two wins from Virginia Tech (at home Thursday night), at Virginia, USF and at Duke. I give them a good shot to make it.

Wake Forest (4-4) -- should get one win this week with BC at home ... but where do they get their sixth win? at NC State, at Notre Dame ... maybe Vanderbilt at home (although they are pretty good).

Olympic - Great summation overall. But to clarify, here is the ACC Bowl pecking order again...

I think you meant to say if just 5 other teams qualify, then the worst we can do is Nashville.If six other teams qualify, then Shreveport is the worst.
Sure would be nice to pick up two of these final three, so that we can't get bypassed for the 1-3 ACC teams that "barely" qualify at 6 wins.
I guess we're rooting against GT, MD, Wake and State the next few weeks, regardless. But the best is if Duke simply wins 2-3 more.

#6 - Franklin American Mortgage Company Music City Bowl - Nashville, TN - Dec 31

Olympic Fan
10-28-2012, 02:00 AM
Olympic - Great summation overall. But to clarify, here is the ACC Bowl pecking order again...

I think you meant to say if just 5 other teams qualify, then the worst we can do is Nashville.If six other teams qualify, then Shreveport is the worst.
Sure would be nice to pick up two of these final three, so that we can't get bypassed for the 1-3 ACC teams that "barely" qualify at 6 wins.
I guess we're rooting against GT, MD, Wake and State the next few weeks, regardless. But the best is if Duke simply wins 2-3 more.

Thanks for the correction. I'm looking at the list in the ACC weekly release and it leaves off the Orange Bowl (I guess since that's automatic).

The ACC could really come up short. If both FSU and Clemson win out, then FSU is in the ACC title game (by virtue of the head-to-head tiebreaker), but Clemson could be 11-1. That would mean beating South Carolina in the finale -- but that's not impossible (especially since SC just lost Lattimore for the season -- the most gruesome injury since Lawrence Taylor broke Joe Theisman's leg).

My point is that both FSU and Clemson could end up in BCS bowls, The ACC put two in the BCS last year and Clemson would be a very attractive at-large selection.

If the ACC only gets 5-6 bowl teams and two of them are in the BCS, then even a 6-6 Duke team could get a pretty good bowl. Of course, I'd like to do a little better than -- I'd love to be 8-4 and in the ACC title game. I can't understand why a Duke fan wouldn't want to win the division and play in the title game, even if it did mean another matchup with FSU.

throatybeard
10-28-2012, 02:22 AM
(especially since SC just lost Lattimore for the season -- the most gruesome injury since Lawrence Taylor broke Joe Theisman's leg).

Thank God, I've seen this on ESPN four times but I still can't see what exactly happened to his leg. I don't think I want to.

tallguy
10-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Thank God, I've seen this on ESPN four times but I still can't see what exactly happened to his leg. I don't think I want to.

chipped knee cap, broken femur, all 4 knee ligaments torn. So yeah...I hope he had NFL insurance.

Wander
10-28-2012, 08:58 AM
FSU will likely pass a bunch of teams in the BCS standings today - Oklahoma, USC, Mississippi State, Oregon State. Given how strong the big four of Alabama, Oregon, Kansas State, and Notre Dame look, it's hard to see them getting into the title picture, but I could see FSU rising all the way back to the top 5 of the BCS standings by the end of the season.

grossbus
10-28-2012, 09:24 AM
i really hope we win at least one more game, i don't like 6-6 bowl teams, even if it is us.

grossbus
10-28-2012, 09:29 AM
"chipped knee cap, broken femur, all 4 knee ligaments torn."

where did you see that?

when i saw it happen yesterday, i predicted all knee ligaments gone. very sad.

BigWayne
10-29-2012, 11:15 AM
chipped knee cap, broken femur, all 4 knee ligaments torn. So yeah...I hope he had NFL insurance.

Official statement says it isn't that bad. This one covers that and the insurance angle. http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2012/10/29/marcus-lattimores-injury-could-spell-millions-in-lost-nfl-earnings/

Interestingly, I saw something in the Wikipedia on Willis McGahee about how he passed up the insurance money so he could enter the draft anyway.

jimsumner
10-29-2012, 11:22 AM
i really hope we win at least one more game, i don't like 6-6 bowl teams, even if it is us.

In an abstract sense, I agree.

But this isn't abstract.

That said, I'll be real surprised if Duke doesn't beat GT. The Jackets are in free fall. And Miami looks mighty beatable.

OldPhiKap
10-29-2012, 11:31 AM
That said, I'll be real surprised if Duke doesn't beat GT. The Jackets are in free fall. And Miami looks mighty beatable.

We also get a rest week after Clemson, which is much-needed.

I will add that we play GT the week before they play Georgia -- which for them IS the season this year. And we have played Miami close in several recent tussles.

I'd love to win every game, but if we go 1-2 over the rest of the season I will be happy. Anything better is gravy, and 2-1 is not unobtainable. And even if we end 6-6, I'll be in (Charlotte/Shreveport/El Paso/wherever) to enjoy the Bowl.

budwom
10-29-2012, 12:37 PM
In an abstract sense, I agree.

But this isn't abstract.

Hey! I love the optimism, but would feel a whole lot more confident if you could tell me which Blue Devils will be healthy after our bout with Clemmons.
I know we have an off week to prepare for GT, but I think it's imperative we have our best safeties available for GT (Byas, Canty and Braxton) and
preferably both Boone and Renfree. I think we (like everyone else) can move the ball on Tech if we have a healthy QB...and we can limit
their running success if we have the aforementioned safeties. But without them, it'll be tough.

As of now, I think Tech will be a very small favorite...Sagarin has us a point ahead, but it's a road game.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-29-2012, 10:42 PM
I think it's imperative we have our best safeties available for GT (Byas, Canty and Braxton) and
preferably both Boone and Renfree. I think we (like everyone else) can move the ball on Tech if we have a healthy QB...

We're in waaaaaaaaaaaay better shape than Maryland. They're down to a backup linebacker, who ran the option in high school, as their starting QB. They don't even have a healthy walk on QB left.

devildeac
10-29-2012, 11:00 PM
We're in waaaaaaaaaaaay better shape than Maryland. They're down to a backup linebacker, who ran the option in high school, as their starting QB. They don't even have a healthy walk on QB left.

Let's not be that pessimistic about the Terps. According to the Raleigh N&O this AM, they'll also have the option of a converted TE, too:rolleyes:.

That is some serious bad luck as they lost their 4th QB of the year when he went down against BC with the 3rd torn ACL of the year in their QB stable.

-jk
10-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Hmm... Sounds remarkably like our safety situation. Alas.

-jk

DukeSean
10-30-2012, 09:03 AM
wow. converted TE as your QB sounds a heck of a lot worse than converted WR for safety.

devildeac
10-30-2012, 09:28 AM
wow. converted TE as your QB sounds a heck of a lot worse than converted WR for safety.

But we've also had a QB play a snap or three at DB this year, too;).

DukeSean
10-30-2012, 09:46 AM
But we've also had a QB play a snap or three at DB this year, too;).

nah, you're getting it all wrong. Our DB finally got to play his position after being needed at QB. and TE. and WR.

grossbus
10-30-2012, 11:33 AM
"That is some serious bad luck as they lost their 4th QB of the year when he went down against BC with the 3rd torn ACL of the year in their QB stable."

geez, is that the freshman from whom they just removed the red shirt?

OZZIE4DUKE
10-30-2012, 03:35 PM
"That is some serious bad luck as they lost their 4th QB of the year when he went down against BC with the 3rd torn ACL of the year in their QB stable."

geez, is that the freshman from whom they just removed the red shirt?

Yes.

devildeac
10-30-2012, 09:34 PM
nah, you're getting it all wrong. Our DB finally got to play his position after being needed at QB. and TE. and WR.

And you forgot RB, too;).

House G
11-01-2012, 10:47 AM
It is interesting to see some of the bowl predictions for Duke:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions
http://cfn.scout.com/2/557866.html
http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls
http://www.philsteele.com/bowls/12-13/bowlprojections.html
http://www.bankrollsports.com/blog/college-football-bowl-projections/
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/football/bowl-projections

jimsumner
11-01-2012, 11:00 AM

I can't imagine a Duke-Stanford rematch is real high on anyone's to-do list.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Too many projections for the Sun Bowl in El Paso. That's too far to drive and the one bowl I don't want us to go to. Well, not Shreveport either.

OldPhiKap
11-01-2012, 11:39 AM

Playing Tennessee in Nashville would not be fun. Everytime I see them play down here, I have "Rocky Top" in my head for weeks.

Belk in Charlotte would be ideal.

Can't say I'm dying to go to Shreveport or El Paso, but if that's where we are sent that's where I'll go.

PDDuke85
11-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Playing Tennessee in Nashville would not be fun. Everytime I see them play down here, I have "Rocky Top" in my head for weeks.

Belk in Charlotte would be ideal.

Can't say I'm dying to go to Shreveport or El Paso, but if that's where we are sent that's where I'll go.

I've been to the Sun Bowl years 97-99 while stationed in NM in the Air Force. I absolutely love the stadium. The city of El Paso is what it is and I wouldn't recommend crossing into Juarez.

At this point, any venue with the last name BOWL is sweet. Belk would be ideal though, semi home game!

Go Duke!

BigWayne
11-01-2012, 12:09 PM
GT vs. MD this week is a big game as far as the bowl lineup is concerned as the ACC may be very short on bowl eligible teams. The loser of this game will be very unlikely to be bowl eligible. Even if GT wins, they have a tough road to bowl eligibility which could mean a GT win cuts the ACC bowl eligible list down to 7 teams.

Looking over the schedules, the ACC is looking to have no more than 4 teams other than Duke with records of 7-5 or better in the bowl lineup. Two Duke wins, presumably over GT and Miami, would put us in the top 5 of the ACC bowl list as it would prevent a bowl picking a 6-6 team over Duke. Duke will have an awful lot to play for in those last two games, which should be very exciting.

Duvall
11-01-2012, 12:24 PM
GT vs. MD this week is a big game as far as the bowl lineup is concerned as the ACC may be very short on bowl eligible teams. The loser of this game will be very unlikely to be bowl eligible. Even if GT wins, they have a tough road to bowl eligibility which could mean a GT win cuts the ACC bowl eligible list down to 7 teams.

Looking over the schedules, the ACC is looking to have no more than 4 teams other than Duke with records of 7-5 or better in the bowl lineup. Two Duke wins, presumably over GT and Miami, would put us in the top 5 of the ACC bowl list as it would prevent a bowl picking a 6-6 team over Duke. Duke will have an awful lot to play for in those last two games, which should be very exciting.

The ACC's "one-win rule" relies on conference record, not overall record.

BigWayne
11-01-2012, 06:29 PM
The ACC's "one-win rule" relies on conference record, not overall record.
Oops. Forgot that. That would mean we could get pushed down as low as #6 with an 8-4 record. Doubtful we could get pushed to #7.

Reilly
11-01-2012, 08:48 PM

The Few. The Proud. The Duke Bowl attendees.

Good night, Spence Fisher, wherever you are.

OldPhiKap
11-01-2012, 10:13 PM
The Few. The Proud. The Duke Bowl attendees.

Good night, Spence Fisher, wherever you are.

DBR party in Juarez. I'll buy the first round of tattoos, as long as I get to pick the designs (y'all pick the spots).

Reilly
11-01-2012, 10:47 PM

State 5-3, 2-2 [UVa, Wake, @Clemson, BC]
Miami 5-4, 4-2 [@UVA, USF, @Duke]
MD 4-4, 2-2 [GT, @Clemson, FSU, @UNC]

VT 4-5, 2-3 [FSU, @BC, UVa]
GT 3-5, 2-3 [@MD, @UNC, Duke, @UGA]

----------------------

DukeSean
11-02-2012, 11:52 AM
DBR party in Juarez. I'll buy the first round of tattoos, as long as I get to pick the designs (y'all pick the spots).

Sounds like a deal! You pick the design, I'll pick the spot. And so, my choice for tattoo spot is...

...your forehead :)

PumpkinFunk
11-02-2012, 08:51 PM
To throw a wrench into this whole thing: Miami may self-impose a bowl ban because of the incoming sanctions from the NCAA (I presume for the Nevin Shapiro scandal). If they do, it means they are ineligible to go to the ACC Championship game, because both teams that play in that game must play in the postseason. If that happens, it completely changes our bowl outlook.

Link: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/02/3079888_miami-hurricanes-might-decide.html#storylink=addthis

uh_no
11-02-2012, 10:34 PM
To throw a wrench into this whole thing: Miami may self-impose a bowl ban because of the incoming sanctions from the NCAA (I presume for the Nevin Shapiro scandal). If they do, it means they are ineligible to go to the ACC Championship game, because both teams that play in that game must play in the postseason. If that happens, it completely changes our bowl outlook.

Link: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/02/3079888_miami-hurricanes-might-decide.html#storylink=addthis

I think we still need 2 wins, or VT would end up passing us

Duvall
11-02-2012, 10:53 PM
I think we still need 2 wins, or VT would end up passing us

To pass Duke, VT would have to win out (5-3) while Duke lost out (3-5). Otherwise it's up to the bowls to pick who they like.

uh_no
11-02-2012, 11:26 PM
To pass Duke, VT would have to win out (5-3) while Duke lost out (3-5). Otherwise it's up to the bowls to pick who they like.

I had the tie breaker wrong, thought it was head-head

Duvall
11-02-2012, 11:32 PM
I had the tie breaker wrong, thought it was head-head

Oh, for the division title? Head-to-head is the first tiebreaker for that. For bowl picks, the One-Win Rule controls.

blazindw
11-03-2012, 09:34 AM

Miami did this last year. As an alum, I know the alumni base would riot if they did this again, especially with a chance to go to the ACC title game and the Orange Bowl in the balance.

Reilly
11-03-2012, 06:39 PM

State 5-4, 2-3 [Wake, @Clemson, BC]

GT 4-5, 3-3 [@UNC, Duke, @UGA]
MD 4-5, 2-3 [@Clemson, FSU, @UNC]

UVA 3-6, 1-4 [Miami, UNC, @VT]

----------------------

asbcheeks
11-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Miami did this last year. As an alum, I know the alumni base would riot if they did this again, especially with a chance to go to the ACC title game and the Orange Bowl in the balance.

Interesting. My brother is an alum and follows the program very closely and his read is that it's an inevitability - they are just waiting for their 6th win to make the announcement.

Reilly
11-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Clemson 8-1, 5-1 [MD, NCSU, South Carolina]
Duke 6-4, 3-3 [@GT, Miami]

WFU 5-4, 3-4 [@NCSU, @ND, Vandy]

----------------------

BC 2-7, 1-5 [ND, VT, @NCSU]

OldPhiKap
11-04-2012, 08:23 AM

----------------------

For someone who watches closer, how in the world is VT 4-5?

Olympic Fan
11-04-2012, 11:57 AM
The amazing thing is that after the first weekend in November, the ACC still has just three bowl eligible teams.

Personally, I think there is no question that NC State (they need one win and have Wake and BC remaining) and Miami will make it (although, as noted, they may opt out). Virginia, BC and Maryland clearly won't make it. That leaves Virginia Tech, Georgias Tech and Wake on the bubble. The Deacons really need this week's game at N.C State -- they finish with Notre Dame and a very good Vanderbilt team. Virginia Tech -- amazing that they are struggling -- still needs two wins and it's going to be tough to get this week's game against FSU, even if it is in Blacksburg. But they do have BC and Virginia to finish up with. I think they are are lucky it's at BC and Virginia at home -- OPK asks how VPI can be 4-6, it's because they've been putrid on the road. Against an old rival that's finally showing some life, they might be in trouble against Virgnia in Charlottesville. But I think they are okay in Blacksburg. Georgia Tech needs two more wins and won't get one of them against Georgia in the finale. That means they MUST beat UNC and Duke the next two weeks. A 1-1 split means they'll have to beat Georgia and that ain't happening.

One other aspect of the bowl picture -- Clemson's chances of getting a BCS at-large bid got a lot better when San Diego State upset Boise late last night (actually early this morning Eastern Time). Under the convoluted BCS rules, Boise had been in a position to secure an automatic BCS bid had they won out -- and that would have likely knocked out Clemson. I talked to a could of Clemson execs Saturday and that was their big concern. Now, they still have to win out -- and that means finished up with a victory over South Carolina in the real Death Valley -- but if they do, they'll get a BCS bid -- either at large if FSU wins the Atlantic Division or the Orange Bowl if FSU stumbles and Clemson reaches the title game.

But it's now very possible that both FSU and Clemson wind up with BCS bids. That really reduces the ACC's Bowl Pool. If Miami does opt out, then we're looking at Duke, probably NC State and maybe 6-6 Virginia Tech to fill all the rest. A 6-6 Duke would get a pretty good bowl in that scenario ... a 7-5 Duke could very well end up in Atlanta or Orlando.

Wander
11-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Now, they still have to win out -- and that means finished up with a victory over South Carolina in the real Death Valley -- but if they do, they'll get a BCS bid -- either at large if FSU wins the Atlantic Division or the Orange Bowl if FSU stumbles and Clemson reaches the title game.

Are we sure Clemson even needs to beat South Carolina? There are 10 spots in BCS bowl games. After the 6 conference champions, presumably the four "at-large" bids will go to:

1. Notre Dame, who realistically at worst will be 11-1.
2. A 2nd SEC team - likely Florida or Georgia, but could be Alabama if they lose the SEC title game, and even dark horses like LSU, Texas A&M, South Carolina, and Mississippi State are still alive if they win out and other teams lose.
3. A 2nd Big 12 team - probably Oklahoma, but, for all the negative talk they've been getting, look out for Texas.

I agree the fourth spot is Clemson's for sure if they win out. But even with a loss to South Carolina, at 10-2, they've got a pretty decent shot, don't they? The Big 10 and Big East only have one team in the top 25 currently - so if Nebraska and Louisville win their conferences, there's probably not a threat there. That leaves the Pac-12. Stanford and Oregon State are currently ranked highly (USC shouldn't be counted out either), but they play each other and Oregon, so I think we can come up with realistic scenarios where a 10-2 Clemson gets the last bid, especially since I imagine their fan base is more attractive to bowls than Stanford's or Oregon State's.

BigWayne
11-04-2012, 01:09 PM
With the GT win last night reducing the bowl eligibility chances, the league office will certainly be putting pressure on Miami not to opt out.

As it stands now, we have the very real possibility of having only 6 bowl eligible teams, including Miami. If FSU and Clemson win out and end up in the BCS, that would mean the ACC filling only 3 of the 8 non-BCS bowl lineup if Miami opts out.

loran16
11-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Are we sure Clemson even needs to beat South Carolina? There are 10 spots in BCS bowl games. After the 6 conference champions, presumably the four "at-large" bids will go to:

2. A 2nd SEC team - likely Florida or Georgia, but could be Alabama if they lose the SEC title game, and even dark horses like LSU, Texas A&M, South Carolina, and Mississippi State are still alive if they win out and other teams lose.
3. A 2nd Big 12 team - probably Oklahoma, but, for all the negative talk they've been getting, look out for Texas.

I agree the fourth spot is Clemson's for sure if they win out. But even with a loss to South Carolina, at 10-2, they've got a pretty decent shot, don't they? The Big 10 and Big East only have one team in the top 25 currently - so if Nebraska and Louisville win their conferences, there's probably not a threat there. That leaves the Pac-12. Stanford and Oregon State are currently ranked highly (USC shouldn't be counted out either), but they play each other and Oregon, so I think we can come up with realistic scenarios where a 10-2 Clemson gets the last bid, especially since I imagine their fan base is more attractive to bowls than Stanford's or Oregon State's.

There's a spot for Boise State if they win out apparently (they should crack the BCS threshold there if they do), which takes away one spot.

EDIT: Never mind, didn't see Boise losing.

Reilly
11-04-2012, 01:52 PM
... the very real possibility of having only 6 bowl eligible teams, including Miami. If FSU and Clemson win out and end up in the BCS, that would mean the ACC filling only 3 of the 8 non-BCS bowl lineup if Miami opts out.

If there are 6 bowl-eligible ACC teams including Miami, and Miami opts out, and Clemson let's say gets the BCS at-large spot, then the ACC will be filling 3 of its 7 non-BCS slots. We only have 8 non-BCS slots if Navy or the Pac-12 doesn't do its job (and Navy sealed its berth yesterday).

OldPhiKap
11-04-2012, 02:41 PM
With the GT win last night reducing the bowl eligibility chances, the league office will certainly be putting pressure on Miami not to opt out.

[StraighFace] Of course, this cannot be true. Student athletics are all about integrity, not money. [/StraightFace]

burnspbesq
11-05-2012, 03:05 PM
FWIW, in the latest set of espn.com bowl projections, Mark Schlabach has Duke playing Cincinnati in Charlotte, while Brad Edwards has Duke playing Tennessee in Nashville.

BigWayne
11-05-2012, 03:45 PM

I was looking at this today. Because of the Rose Bowl affinity for a PAC12 team, Clemson's chances are not so good. It all depends on who is in the BCS game and what happens with the PAC12 title game. If Oregon wins out and is in the NCG, then the PAC12 probably sends a second team into the Rose Bowl. If Oregon wins out the regular season and then loses the PAC12 title game to USC or UCLA, Oregon would get the 2nd slot somewhere.

blazindw
11-05-2012, 05:18 PM
I was looking at this today. Because of the Rose Bowl affinity for a PAC12 team, Clemson's chances are not so good. It all depends on who is in the BCS game and what happens with the PAC12 title game. If Oregon wins out and is in the NCG, then the PAC12 probably sends a second team into the Rose Bowl. If Oregon wins out the regular season and then loses the PAC12 title game to USC or UCLA, Oregon would get the 2nd slot somewhere.

Looking at the BCS standings right now, here's what we're likely looking at:

BCS Title: Bama vs. K-State
Rose: Oregon vs. B1G winner
Fiesta: At large vs. At large
Sugar: At large vs. At large
Orange: FSU/Clemson vs. At large (or is it BE winner - Louisville?)

Likely At Larges: ND, Georgia/Florida/LSU/South Carolina
Possible At Larges: Oregon State/Stanford, Clemson, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Louisville (if at large)

Clemson still has a good shot of making it, as the SEC can only have 1 of UGa, UF, LSU or SCarolina in the BCS and the Pac 12 can only have one of Oregon State or Stanford in it. If it's Bama-K-State in the title game, then the Sugar and Fiesta will have an extra at large to fill and that's where Clemson could have a chance if they win out. I agree that if it's Bama-Oregon, then the Rose will seek a Pac 12 team to fill its spot if possible to preserve the traditional Pac 12-B1G matchup.

House G
11-05-2012, 07:29 PM
FWIW, in the latest set of espn.com bowl projections, Mark Schlabach has Duke playing Cincinnati in Charlotte, while Brad Edwards has Duke playing Tennessee in Nashville.

Tennessee may have trouble getting six wins.

-bdbd
11-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Stewart Mandel at CNN/SI has a pretty good track record at these Bowl projections. Below is his latest set, with Duke in the Belk Bowl vs Cincy (Big East #3). He has us as the ACC #5 pick behind FSU (ACC - sole BCS entry), Clemson (#2 at Chick Fil-A), Miami (#3 at Russell Athletic), NCSU (ACC #4 at Sun Bowl), and in front of VPI (ACC #6 at Music City vs Tenn). I don't see some other ACC candidates on there - Ga Tech, MD, Wake. This would imply that if we saw Clemson getting a BCS at-large slot, it would move us up, maybe, to ACC#4 and the Sun Bowl. So root for Clemson to win out, and some other non-ACC top-ten teams (BCS at-large candidates) to lose, and/or hope for more losses from Miami and NCSU to move them down a notch in terms of their bowl attractiveness. Miami, BTW, seems a very logical choice for Russell Athletic Bowl in Orlabdo, for the in-state crowd they'd bring. Of course, if they self-de-select.....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/stewart_mandel/11/05/bowl-projections/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a0

BCS bowls

DATE

PREDICTED MATCHUP

Jan. 1

Rose: Nebraska (Big Ten champ) vs. Oregon State (BCS at-large)

Jan. 1

Orange: Florida State (ACC champ) vs. Louisville (Big East champ)

Jan. 2

Sugar: Florida (BCS at-large) vs. Oklahoma (BCS at-large)

Jan. 3

Fiesta: Kansas State (Big 12 champ) vs. Notre Dame (BCS at-large)

Jan. 7

BCS championship: Alabama (BCS No. 1) vs. Oregon (BCS No. 2)

Other bowls

DATE

PREDICTED MATCHUP

Dec. 15

New Mexico: Nevada (MWC No. 4) vs. Arizona State (Pac-12 No. 7)

Dec. 15

Idaho Potato: Utah State (WAC) vs. Northern Illinois (MAC No. 3)

Dec. 20

Poinsettia: San Diego State (MWC No. 2) vs. BYU (BYU)

Dec. 21

Beef 'O' Brady's: UCF (C-USA) vs. Miami (Ohio) (Big East*)

Dec. 22

New Orleans: Louisiana-Monroe (Sun Belt No. 1) vs. East Carolina (C-USA)

Dec. 22

Maaco: Boise State (MWC No. 1) vs. Washington (Pac-12 No. 5)

Dec. 24

Hawaii: Fresno State (MWC) vs. San Jose State (C-USA*)

Dec. 26

Little Caesars: Toledo (MAC) vs. Western Kentucky (Big Ten No. 8*)

Dec . 27

Belk: Cincinnati (Big East No. 3) vs. Duke (ACC No. 5)

Dec. 27

Military: Western Michigan (ACC No. 8*) vs. Middle Tennessee (Army*)

Dec. 27

Holiday: USC (Pac-12 No. 3) vs. West Virginia (Big 12 No. 5)

Dec. 28

Independence: Louisiana Tech (ACC No. 7*) vs. Bowling Green (SEC No. 10*)

Dec. 28

Meineke Texas: Minnesota (Big Ten No. 6) vs. TCU (Big 12 No. 6)

Dec. 28

Russell Athletic: Rutgers (Big East No. 2) vs. Miami (ACC No. 3)

Dec. 29

Pinstripe: Pittsburgh (Big East No. 4) vs. Iowa State (Big 12 No. 7)

Dec. 29

Buffalo Wild Wings: Oklahoma State (Big 12 No. 4) vs. Northwestern (Big Ten No. 5)

Dec. 29

Alamo: UCLA (Pac-12 No. 2) vs. Texas Tech (Big 12 No. 3)

Dec. 29

Armed Forces: Marshall (C-USA) vs. Air Force (MWC)

Dec. 29

Kraft Fight Hunger: Arizona (Pac-12 No. 6) vs. Navy (Navy)

Dec. 31

Music City: Virginia Tech (ACC No. 6) vs. Tennessee (SEC)

Dec. 31

Sun: NC State (ACC No. 4) vs. Stanford (Pac-12 No. 4)

Dec. 31

Liberty: Tulsa (C-USA No. 1) vs. Ole Miss (SEC No. 8/9)

Dec. 31

Chick-fil-A: Clemson (ACC No. 2) vs. Texas A&M (SEC No. 5)

Jan. 1

Heart of Dallas: Kent State (Big Ten No. 7*) vs. La.-Lafayette (C-USA*)

Jan. 1

Capital One: Georgia (SEC No. 2) vs. Michigan (Big Ten No. 2)

Jan. 1

Outback: Wisconsin (Big Ten No. 3) vs. South Carolina (SEC)

Jan. 1

Gator: Michigan State (Big Ten No. 4) vs. Mississippi State (SEC No. 6)

Jan. 4

Cotton: Texas (Big 12 No. 2) vs. LSU (SEC)

Jan. 5

BBVA Compass: Ball State (Big East*) vs. Vanderbilt (SEC No. 8/9)

Jan. 6

GoDaddy.com: Ohio (MAC) vs. Arkansas State (Sun Belt No. 2)

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/stewart_mandel/11/05/bowl-projections/index.html#ixzz2BPc2zG61

mgtr
11-06-2012, 12:18 PM
A question which may have been asked and answered a dozen times: With all these bowls, what if there are not enough 6-win teams? Has it ever happened?

BigWayne
11-06-2012, 03:31 PM
A question which may have been asked and answered a dozen times: With all these bowls, what if there are not enough 6-win teams? Has it ever happened?
This is why they added a bunch of ways to add a few more teams by provisional eligibility. Right this minute, Cincinnati is provisionally eligible, but not fully eligible yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_NCAA_football_bowl_games#Bowl-eligibility_contingency_plan

Bluedog
11-06-2012, 03:42 PM
This is why they added a bunch of ways to add a few more teams by provisional eligibility. Right this minute, Cincinnati is provisionally eligible, but not fully eligible yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_NCAA_football_bowl_games#Bowl-eligibility_contingency_plan

Also, there are unresolved NCAA cases involving Oregon and Miami...

Huh? There's a pending NCAA case against Oregon or is that wrong?

Reilly
11-06-2012, 03:55 PM

Not sure if it has ever happened. What are there now -- 35 bowls requiring 70 teams (of 124 I-A)?

By my quick count, espn is showing 48 bowl eligible right now.

You can order the teams by wins here:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2012-standings.html

... and that shows 52 teams w/ 6+ wins (some not eligible, like Ohio State or Penn State).
... 69 teams have 5+ wins right now

BigWayne
11-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Huh? There's a pending NCAA case against Oregon or is that wrong?

Yep. http://www.registerguard.com/web/sports/28680382-41/ncaa-documents-oregon-ducks-process.html.csp

BigWayne
11-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Not sure if it has ever happened. What are there now -- 35 bowls requiring 70 teams (of 124 I-A)?

By my quick count, espn is showing 48 bowl eligible right now.

You can order the teams by wins here:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2012-standings.html

... and that shows 52 teams w/ 6+ wins (some not eligible, like Ohio State or Penn State).
... 69 teams have 5+ wins right now

The Wikipedia link I posted keeps a running total of eligible and unable to become eligible teams. They include things like winner of the Wake Forest/NCSU game
as they both need one more win. It's not perfect, but it tends to stay pretty up to date. They show 52 eligible right now. I think they are missing the winner of the Arizona/ASU game on 11/23, so it should probably be 53 right now.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-06-2012, 06:55 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_NCAA_football_bowl_games#Bowl-eligibility_contingency_plan

We were one of 5 teams eligible at 5 wins, based on graduation rates. Beating carolina and getting us to 6 wins took us off that list! :cool:

BigWayne
11-07-2012, 01:47 AM
I updated the Wikipedia to add the AZ/ASU winner and get it to 53 teams. Looking at the rest of the teams and their future schedules, I am projecting that there will be 68 or 69 bowl eligible teams, with a reasonable max of 71. Not knowing all the details of every school schedule, I can't say for certain, but I am not sure the contingency plans will generate any more teams. The only one I can see is UTSA under contingency #5, but that would be very sketchy as they only have one FBS win, with a couple of D2 wins in their list.

wilson
11-07-2012, 03:00 PM
I updated the Wikipedia to add the AZ/ASU winner and get it to 53 teams. Looking at the rest of the teams and their future schedules, I am projecting that there will be 68 or 69 bowl eligible teams, with a reasonable max of 71. Not knowing all the details of every school schedule, I can't say for certain, but I am not sure the contingency plans will generate any more teams. The only one I can see is UTSA under contingency #5, but that would be very sketchy as they only have one FBS win, with a couple of D2 wins in their list.UTSA is a provisional FBS team this year, in the second year of the NCAA-mandated two-year transition process, and thus ineligible for a bowl, irrespective of how many games they may win: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_UTSA_Roadrunners_football_team
The only team that has the possibility of achieving provisiona[/URL]l bowl eligibility at this stage in the season is Cincinnati, although they have a reasonable chance at "real" eligibility with 6 wins already (2 against FCS teams, so one "doesn't count") and games remaining vs. South Florida, Pitt, and UConn (I'm assuming they won't beat Rutgers).
No other team meets the provisional eligibility guidelines, listed below. In fact, at roughly the midpoint of the season, Duke was the only team (other than Cincinnati) with a chance of meeting them, but as Ozzie pointed out, that possibility was rendered moot against the holes.:cool:

Provisional bowl eligibility guidelines:

1. Teams finishing 6-6 with one win against an FCS team, regardless of whether that FCS school meets NCAA scholarship requirements. Until now, an FCS win only counted if that opponent met the scholarship requirements—specifically, that school had to award at least 90% of the FCS maximum of 63 scholarship equivalents over a two-year period. In the 2012 season, programs in four FCS conferences cannot meet the 90% requirement (56.7 equivalents)—the Ivy League, which prohibits all athletic scholarships; the Patriot League and Pioneer Football League, which do not currently award football scholarships; and the Northeast Conference, which limits football scholarships to 38 equivalents.
2. 6-6 teams with two wins over FCS schools.
3. Teams that finish 6-7 and lose in the conference championship game are next.
4. 6-7 teams that normally play a 13-team schedule, such as Hawaii's home opponents. Although Hawaii normally plays a 13-game schedule, it is only playing 12 games this season.
5. FCS teams who are making the transition to the FBS, if they have at least a 6-6 record.
6. Finally, the nod would go to 5-7 teams that have a top-5 Academic Progress Rate score.

BigWayne
11-07-2012, 06:27 PM
The contingency plans cover 6 cases where teams are ineligible by the standard guidelines. FBS transition teams are covered under item #5. I expect that #5 was written assuming that the FCS team would be playing some FBS and multiple FCS teams, but never imagined to also include D2. I have searched around and only seen the basic description of 6-6 or better with no qualifiers, but I have got to believe the D2 games won't count. That being said, if they can go 2-1 in their last 3 games they would finish 5-5 in FBS/FCS contests.

NovaScotian
11-07-2012, 08:15 PM
is duke still in play for the ACC championship game? what needs to happen (besides beating gt and um) for us to win the division?

uh_no
11-07-2012, 08:39 PM
is duke still in play for the ACC championship game? what needs to happen (besides beating gt and um) for us to win the division?

fsu beats VT I believe

loran16
11-07-2012, 08:42 PM

Either FSU beats VT or UM beats Virginia (assuming UM is not waiving eligibility).

BigWayne
11-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Either FSU beats VT or UM beats Virginia (assuming UM is not waiving eligibility).
No matter if UM bails out, if VT beats FSU, we need Miami to be at 5-3 to make a 3 way tie where we win the tiebreaker over VT. If Miami is at 4-4 and Duke and VT are tied at 5-3, VT wins the tiebreak. Apparently, according to communication with the ACC office discussed up above in the UNC case, probation teams are included in tiebreaking calculations. Of course, we have to take care of business and beat GT and Miami.

SCMatt33
11-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Here's a weird (and plausible) scenario. Let's say that Duke beats Gtech and loses to Miami. Miami wins out, going 6-2 in conference, but self imposes a ban. Meanwhile, Va Tech goes as expected and finishes at 6-6 (4-4). They would then either win a two way tiebreaker with Duke (or three-way with Duke and Gtech) and go to the ACC title game. As expected, they lose to FSU in the title game and go 6-7. Technically, they would be under .500 and not bowl eligible, but with the shortage of teams, they would be one of the few to qualify as a provisional bowl team.

Does Virginia Tech in this scenario still get treated like any other bowl eligible team and can be picked by an ACC bowl so long as they are within one game of them? Do they still fall under the provision that prevents the ACC title game loser from not falling lower than the Sun Bowl? Or do they have to wait and be picked after every fully eligible bowl team is selected, regardless of conference, and end up in some non-ACC bowl that just needs a team for the game to be played?

If they fall out of the ACC bowl picture entirely and have to wait for a leftover bowl, it's plausible with Miami banning themselves, Clemson making a BCS game, and Wake and Gtech falling short of 6 wins, that the ACC would only be able to fill down to the Russell Athletic bowl, with Duke and NC State being the only teams from the ACC that can be picked by an ACC bowl game. That would be quite weird.

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Bob Green has a good write up on why we (as fans, not the team) shouldn't be afraid of playing in the championship game.

What's the worst possible outcome? We lose! Any Duke Football fan worth their salt isn't afraid of losing.
http://crazietalk.net/2/post/2012/11/why-duke-fans-should-be-rooting-for-the-blue-devils-to-advance-to-the-acccg.html

BigWayne
11-08-2012, 02:38 AM
Here's a weird (and plausible) scenario. Let's say that Duke beats Gtech and loses to Miami. Miami wins out, going 6-2 in conference, but self imposes a ban. Meanwhile, Va Tech goes as expected and finishes at 6-6 (4-4). They would then either win a two way tiebreaker with Duke (or three-way with Duke and Gtech) and go to the ACC title game. As expected, they lose to FSU in the title game and go 6-7. Technically, they would be under .500 and not bowl eligible, but with the shortage of teams, they would be one of the few to qualify as a provisional bowl team.

Does Virginia Tech in this scenario still get treated like any other bowl eligible team and can be picked by an ACC bowl so long as they are within one game of them? Do they still fall under the provision that prevents the ACC title game loser from not falling lower than the Sun Bowl? Or do they have to wait and be picked after every fully eligible bowl team is selected, regardless of conference, and end up in some non-ACC bowl that just needs a team for the game to be played?

If they fall out of the ACC bowl picture entirely and have to wait for a leftover bowl, it's plausible with Miami banning themselves, Clemson making a BCS game, and Wake and Gtech falling short of 6 wins, that the ACC would only be able to fill down to the Russell Athletic bowl, with Duke and NC State being the only teams from the ACC that can be picked by an ACC bowl game. That would be quite weird.
Based on the wording on the page linked below, VT could have to wait like you said.
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2012/july/di+board+approves+process+to+fill+football+bowls+i n+case+of+shortfall
Pertinent wording:
Under the process approved Thursday, if a bowl has one or more conferences/teams unable to meet their contractual commitments and there are no available bowl-eligible teams, the open spots can be filled – by the bowl sponsoring agencies – as follows:
....then it runs through the #1-6 scenarios.

However, since there is no consolidated bowl picking order outside of individual conference selections and the BCS bowls, it all depends on which bowl acts first. What I would see happening is that each conference has to go through its contractual commitments in order with normal bowl eligible teams from in conference. Then you will have a situation with some number of bowls with unfulfilled slots and some number of bowl eligible teams from conferences that have more eligible teams than contracts (Sun Belt, MAC). If the number of empty slots is less than the number of free agent eligible teams, then you will have a sort of liar's poker game if there is an attractive team on the provisional list. In the case you mention with VT, it could be really ugly if a less desirable team is sitting there on qualifier #1 or 2.

What will be really interesting is if we end up with 69 eligible teams, including the provisional qualifiers. Which bowl will get screwed? Will the NCAA pass some emergency rule to make another team eligible, say the 5-7 team with the best APR?

OZZIE4DUKE
11-08-2012, 03:08 PM

fsu beats VT I believe

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play? :D

Seriously, if we take care of our business the next two games, I think FSU will take care of VT for us, and we'll know soon enough.

Let's Go Duke! GTHc! 9F!

Olympic Fan
11-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play? :D

Seriously, if we take care of our business the next two games, I think FSU will take care of VT for us, and we'll know soon enough.

Let's Go Duke! GTHc! 9F!

While FSU beating Va Tech would mean that we have our fate in our hands, Va Tech winning tonight doesn't kill Duke's chances.

If Miami beats Virginia Saturday, then loses loses to Duke , then even if VPI wins out, there would be a three-way tie between Duke-Miami-Va Tech at 5-3. In that scenario, the head-to-head tiebreaker would be even (all three would be 1-1) and Duke would have the best division record (4-1 ... Miami and VPI would be 3-2). If UNC somehow loses one of its last three and is in the 5-3 tiebreaker that helps Duke -- Duke and UNC would be 2-1 in the head to head; Miami and VPI would be 1-2 ...

Basically, our fate is in our hands. we DO have to beat Georgia Tech and Miami.

But if we do that, the only way would not be in the title game would be in VPI beats FSU and wins out AND Miami also loses at Virginia.

BigWayne
11-08-2012, 10:03 PM
While FSU beating Va Tech would mean that we have our fate in our hands, Va Tech winning tonight doesn't kill Duke's chances.

If Miami beats Virginia Saturday, then loses loses to Duke , then even if VPI wins out, there would be a three-way tie between Duke-Miami-Va Tech at 5-3. In that scenario, the head-to-head tiebreaker would be even (all three would be 1-1) and Duke would have the best division record (4-1 ... Miami and VPI would be 3-2). If UNC somehow loses one of its last three and is in the 5-3 tiebreaker that helps Duke -- Duke and UNC would be 2-1 in the head to head; Miami and VPI would be 1-2 ...

Basically, our fate is in our hands. we DO have to beat Georgia Tech and Miami.

But if we do that, the only way would not be in the title game would be in VPI beats FSU and wins out AND Miami also loses at Virginia.

You are correct. This was covered in the separate ACC championship vigil thread.

Reilly
11-08-2012, 11:13 PM
FSU 9-1, 6-1 [@MD, UF]

VT 4-6, 2-4 [@BC, UVa]

----------------------

*Either VT or UVa will not be bowling, as both have 6 losses, and must play each other
[This space reserved for Maryland]

.... provided MD stumbles as expected, the max bowl-eligibile the ACC will have is 8, and there are 8 tie-ins ... Duke is semi-officially IN!

blazindw
11-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Based on the wording on the page linked below, VT could have to wait like you said.
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2012/july/di+board+approves+process+to+fill+football+bowls+i n+case+of+shortfall
Pertinent wording:
Under the process approved Thursday, if a bowl has one or more conferences/teams unable to meet their contractual commitments and there are no available bowl-eligible teams, the open spots can be filled – by the bowl sponsoring agencies – as follows:
....then it runs through the #1-6 scenarios.

However, since there is no consolidated bowl picking order outside of individual conference selections and the BCS bowls, it all depends on which bowl acts first. What I would see happening is that each conference has to go through its contractual commitments in order with normal bowl eligible teams from in conference. Then you will have a situation with some number of bowls with unfulfilled slots and some number of bowl eligible teams from conferences that have more eligible teams than contracts (Sun Belt, MAC). If the number of empty slots is less than the number of free agent eligible teams, then you will have a sort of liar's poker game if there is an attractive team on the provisional list. In the case you mention with VT, it could be really ugly if a less desirable team is sitting there on qualifier #1 or 2.

What will be really interesting is if we end up with 69 eligible teams, including the provisional qualifiers. Which bowl will get screwed? Will the NCAA pass some emergency rule to make another team eligible, say the 5-7 team with the best APR?

They would then be able to appeal. Last year, USC was ineligible for the Pac 12 title but finished first in their division. 2nd place was UCLA at 6-6. They petitioned the NCAA (before the title game where they faced Oregon) to be declared bowl eligible because they weren't SUPPOSED to play in the title game and if they hadn't, they would have been bowl eligible. The NCAA granted that request (basically to allow the Pac 12 to fulfill their bowl commitments) and UCLA, despite losing to Oregon and finishing 6-7, played in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl.

I would imagine, given last year's precedent, Virginia Tech would also be allowed to go to a bowl at 6-7 under similar circumstances.