No NC for the 'Noles this year:

NCSU-17
F$U-16

Native
10-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Insane. Props to the Pack.

Bluedog
10-07-2012, 12:04 AM
While normally I'd want State to win more than FSU, I was hoping that there might actually be a title contender from the ACC this year for the first time in a long time. I guess it still is not meant to be...obviously, shocking upset win for the Pack.

msdukie
10-07-2012, 12:04 AM
We all go to N.C. State. Aroo!

kingboozer
10-07-2012, 12:51 AM
FSU will collapse now per usual, hopefully we can be the next to upset them!

moonpie23
10-07-2012, 01:12 AM
this might make my gamecocks #3 tomorrow....

:)

Greg_Newton
10-07-2012, 01:59 AM
FSU, VPI and UVA had rough days in the triangle today, huh? Tobacco Road, home of the ACC football powerhouses.

lotusland
10-07-2012, 08:27 AM
this might make my gamecocks #3 tomorrow....

:)
Very true but I think being that highly rated will makes cocks fans more than a little nervous. I think between a couple of CWS championships and some legit football success under spurrier, Gamecock nation may be finally ready to put the chicken curse to rest. Still I bet they will be ready to curse the gods at the slightest setback.

superdave
10-07-2012, 09:57 AM
While normally I'd want State to win more than FSU, I was hoping that there might actually be a title contender from the ACC this year for the first time in a long time. I guess it still is not meant to be...obviously, shocking upset win for the Pack.

I'd rather have FSU in the hunt for the BCS title game than not. If we are selling our collective conference sould for football, we might as well not suck at it. Of course, maybe this is the year Duke sneaks into a BCS bowl. : )

moonpie23
10-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Very true but I think being that highly rated will makes cocks fans more than a little nervous. I think between a couple of CWS championships and some legit football success under spurrier, Gamecock nation may be finally ready to put the chicken curse to rest. Still I bet they will be ready to curse the gods at the slightest setback.

ha....you sure know our history...we worship a chicken..........

CDu
10-07-2012, 10:18 AM
No NC for the 'Noles this year:

NCSU-17
F$U-16

Great. So once again the ACC will be irrelevant in the BCS picture. Awesome.

hudlow
10-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Maybe we need to add some more football powerhouses to the conference in order to boost our chances....

throatybeard
10-07-2012, 01:07 PM
As a Moo Dukie, I should be cheering this, but the conference just became completely irrelevant...again.

Olympic Fan
10-07-2012, 01:26 PM
While it was one of the great days in the Triangle's football history -- seriously, I'd have to do some major research to discover when all three scored such significant wins (and all at home) on the same day.

On the other hand, it weas one of the worst days in modern ACC football history:

(1) NC State knocks FSU out of any chance of the BCS title game -- the ACC hasn't had a team even challenge for the game since FSU in 2000.

(2) Notre Dame just murders Miami, which is 3-0 in the ACC Coastal Division. In theiir two con-conference losses to ranked teams, Miami has been outscored 93-16.

(3) Boston College lost to Army -- an Army team that was winless and was trounced byv Stony Brook a week earlier.

The ACC is now 26-14 out of conference. That looks good until you break it down. The ACC is 4-9 against the BCS (1-1 against the Big Ten thanks to Penn State's field goal kicker; 1-1 against the SEC with a losing record to every other BCS conference, including the Big East). 11 iof those 26 wins have come against FCS teams, so the ACC is a mere 15-14 against FBS opponents.

What is the ACC's best non-cnference win?

Clemson over Auburn looked good at the time, but Auburn is now 2-4 and getting trampled by everybody.

I guess Virginia over Penn State is looking better, but that was a gift from a team whose kicker transfered (the guy that left looked awful for Texas last night) ... and it came the week agter Ohio tumped them worse than the Cavs.

After that, I don't know -- FSU over South Florida? NC State over UConn? Maryland over Temple? UNC has two lopsided wins over nobodies -- when they played a decent non-confrerence opponent, they crapped all over themselves at Louisville (okay they had a nice comeback, but were noncompetitive in the first half). I thought Duke's win over FIU was fairly impressive at the time, but they've collapsed this season.

This is embarrassing.

jimsumner
10-07-2012, 01:44 PM
I had real mixed emotions about this. I live in West Raleigh, have a graduate degree from NCSU and like TOB.

But I also would like to have seen an ACC team remain relevant in the national title hunt past the first weekend in October.

South Carolina used to be in the ACC. Maybe we can adopt them.

State deserves major kudos for making big plays. But I was stunned at how conservative FSU became in the second half. It looked to me like they assumed a win at half-time and just put it in cruise control.

And we can also kiss Manuel's Heisman hopes goodbye. Not that Geno Smith is going to leave that door open for anyone else, anyway.

devildeac
10-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Great. So once again the ACC will be irrelevant in the BCS picture. Awesome.

Too bad. We live in Raleigh, my in-laws are Pack fans, my wife is too when she's not rooting for the Devils (even when they play my second allegiance, the Deacons) and we have a lot of friends and neighbors who bleed NCSU red so we are very happy for their huge win last PM. Tom O'Brien appears to be doing things the right way, unlike our pale blue neighbors in chappaheeya. I was quite pleased to see that outcome.

CDu
10-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Too bad. We live in Raleigh, my in-lawsg are Pack fans, my wife is too when she's not rooting for the Devils (even when they play my second allegiance, the Deacons) and we have a lot of friends and neighbors who bleed NCSU red so we are very happy for their huge win last PM. Tom O'Brien appears to be doing things the right way, unlike our pale blue neighbors in chappaheeya. I was quite pleased to see that outcome.

Good for you. Bad for conference progress.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-07-2012, 10:05 PM
I was stunned at how conservative FSU became in the second half. It looked to me like they assumed a win at half-time and just put it in cruise control.

Stall ball, aka 1E (http://www.duke.edu/~bct1/images/DBRHPR7.1asPDF.pdf), will kill you almost every time... It doesn't matter which sport you're talking about!

uh_no
10-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Stall ball, aka 1E (http://www.duke.edu/~bct1/images/DBRHPR7.1asPDF.pdf), will kill you almost every time... It doesn't matter which sport you're talking about!

except when you offense IS stall ball, then you can win championships! (thanks for the memories, Duke bball 2010)

75Crazie
10-08-2012, 09:01 AM
Bad for conference progress.
I think the conference is getting just what it deserves. I for one will not apologize at all for enjoying State's victory.

Wander
10-08-2012, 09:52 AM
The funniest part to this is Jimbo Fisher trying to fall back on a weak defense of "We still control our own destiny in the ACC." Which, of course, isn't even true - as of right now, Maryland, NC State, Miami, and Duke control their own destinies in the conference, but not Florida State.