His name is V-E-R-N-O-N. learn it.

Great game, on to the Hokies!

Dev11
10-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Attention Mike Vernon:

His name is V-E-R-N-O-N. learn it.

Great game, on to the Hokies!

London...

But seriously, I don't know what I'm going to do if we win at Blacksburg next week.

Lunchab1es
10-06-2012, 07:01 PM
London...

But seriously, I don't know what I'm going to do if we win at Blacksburg next week.

I will go absolutely nuts if we do that. GREAT win today, but now we enter the tougher half of the schedule. Let's keep it rollin!

loran16
10-06-2012, 09:07 PM
In honor of Duke-VT being a big game we think can be winnable, I present to you.....a live blog of the Asack game:

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2008/11/22/live-blog-duke-virginia-tech/

This year however, we throw the ball.

Lunchab1es
10-06-2012, 09:31 PM
In honor of Duke-VT being a big game we think can be winnable, I present to you.....a live blog of the Asack game:

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2008/11/22/live-blog-duke-virginia-tech/

This year however, we throw the ball.

Not trying to be rude, but I'm not sure what the point of your post was...?

A live blog of a game from four years ago where we held it close to VT on the road but lost...Is this meant to be encouraging or are you posting this in a satirical fashion?

Dukehky
10-06-2012, 09:42 PM

A live blog of a game from four years ago where we held it close to VT on the road but lost...Is this meant to be encouraging or are you posting this in a satirical fashion?

I would imagine encouraging. If we were that close with Asack as the QB and VT was really good that year, this game should be better for Duke, and the only way it could be better would be with a win. We played them really well last year too. We'll see, I would have preferred to see VT not coming off a loss but it works both ways I guess. They could be demoralized or they could be super jacked up. Beamer is a great coach, so I would assume the latter.

loran16
10-06-2012, 09:55 PM

A few reasons:

1. If you couldn't tell from my sig, which is from snrubchat from that game, I have affectionate memories of how silly that was.
2. It was a game where we could have won - we could've beaten VT the way they played, had we been able to throw the ball. But Thad Lewis was hurt and Asack started, and Roof didn't let him pass at all - Asack had like 6 passes until the final drive (where he threw 4 times and got picked. And yet, we were down 7-3 till a late interception return.

And that's the difference - not only is this a better Duke team (and worse VT team), but our backup QB is actually capable of airing out the ball if we need it. This year won't be like that year.

(Also, reason #1 is still in effect - in retrospect, that game was hilarious.)

orrnot
10-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Roof didn't let him pass at all

IIRC, it was Cutcliffe who held the reigns on Asack. I thought at the time, and still think, that our near success in that game was due to masterful coaching.

loran16
10-06-2012, 10:37 PM
IIRC, it was Cutcliffe who held the reigns on Asack. I thought at the time, and still think, that our near success in that game was due to masterful coaching.

I stand corrected, yes that was 08-09.

OldPhiKap
10-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Good to see Connette in for a play yesterday, guess he should be able to go. Sean should be ready, and the Boone Package should be much more confident.

Beamer has a lot of film to watch.

This would be a big upset, but not impossible. We held UVa to 2 yards rushing in the second half. Two. And hung 28 unanswered. We may or may not be world beaters yet, but we have a very real squad this year. Anything is possible.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Good to see Connette in for a play yesterday, guess he should be able to go. Sean should be ready, and the Boone Package should be much more confident.

Beamer has a lot of film to watch.

This would be a big upset, but not impossible. We held UVa to 2 yards rushing in the second half. Two. And hung 28 unanswered. We may or may not be world beaters yet, but we have a very real squad this year. Anything is possible.

To borrow from another football campaign or two: Believe! If yesterday's game doesn't make people get on the Blue Devil Express that's pulling out of the station, I don't know what will!;)

mkline09
10-07-2012, 09:46 AM
To borrow from another football campaign or two: Believe! If yesterday's game doesn't make people get on the Blue Devil Express that's pulling out of the station, I don't know what will!;)

From the fans who were in attendance yesterday there was a lot of energy and enthusiasm, especially in the second half. And even though it wasn't even close to being full, Wally Wade was making a little bit of noise and chants of Let's Go Duke actually gave me chill bumps. So it shows you there can be a good atmosphere. Think how great it would be if it was full. I think people are starting to slowly believe and there is even a slight lunatic fringe starting to form, and every good football program has the lunatic fringe. One of them was sitting right behind me. Cutcliffe has built it now it is time for everyone else to join us diehards and come to the games and make them expedite that expansion to 44,000 seats.

loran16
10-07-2012, 11:49 AM
For those who are curious, the new Jeff Sagarin Rankings have the ACC as follows:

TEAM PRE ELO
FSU 12 23
UNC 15 53
Clem 25 24
VT 40 55
NCSt 45 42
GT 59 96
MIA 67 30
BC 73 103
MD 75 63
DUKE 77 47
UVA 94 79
WF 106 76

PRE = the Predictor, which is Sagarin's more accurate at predicting game results rankings - ELO is the standard rankings used by the BCS which do not take into account score discrepancies.

If we trust the predictor, VT should be a solid favorite over us (especially at home) but is actually an easier game than UNC at home (UNC's blowouts over its crappy teams look real good here. By contrast, Duke should've killed Memphis by a larger score.)

While none of MD or BC (fairly clear win possibilities) are on the schedule, our most likely 6th victory could in fact be MIAMI at home on the last game of the season.

(Of course, by ELO we're better than VT. So who knows)

MCFinARL
10-07-2012, 11:58 AM
For those who are curious, the new Jeff Sagarin Rankings have the ACC as follows:

TEAM PRE ELO
FSU 12 23
UNC 15 53
Clem 25 24
VT 40 55
NCSt 45 42
GT 59 96
MIA 67 30
BC 73 103
MD 75 63
DUKE 77 47
UVA 94 79
WF 106 76

PRE = the Predictor, which is Sagarin's more accurate at predicting game results rankings - ELO is the standard rankings used by the BCS which do not take into account score discrepancies.

If we trust the predictor, VT should be a solid favorite over us (especially at home) but is actually an easier game than UNC at home (UNC's blowouts over its crappy teams look real good here. By contrast, Duke should've killed Memphis by a larger score.)

While none of MD or BC (fairly clear win possibilities) are on the schedule, our most likely 6th victory could in fact be MIAMI at home on the last game of the season.

(Of course, by ELO we're better than VT. So who knows)

So, I don't really know much about the Sagarin rankings, but BC is ahead of Duke? This is the BC that is 1-4 and lost to Army yesterday?

davekay1971
10-07-2012, 11:59 AM
After Va Tech's debacle at UNC, we're going to get VT's best. They'll see a home game against us as a must win. Every media comment about how Duke may be the better team right now will be on the bulletin board for motivation. VT will want to bet us and do it convincingly to get their season back on track.

But this year, I firmly believe we can get VT's best and STILL win the game, a long as they get our best too.

loran16
10-07-2012, 12:19 PM
So, I don't really know much about the Sagarin rankings, but BC is ahead of Duke? This is the BC that is 1-4 and lost to Army yesterday?

The Predictor system works like the Pomeroy Computer Rankings in BBall - it basically doesn't even care about "wins" or "losses" but all about points and who they came against. Boston College's schedule rank is in the 60s - Duke's is in the 130s. That gives BC a lot more credit for keeping it close. And they blew out their one bad opponent. Duke's wins come against FIU and Memphis, both in the 140s or worse in ranking (BAD teams), Virginia - a bad team though not epicly bad, Central (Ranked in the 200s as a bad 1-AA team should be), and Wake (again, not ranked very well). 3 of BC's losses came to far better teams than those 4 (Miami, Northwestern, Clemson), and their only bad loss was to Army AT Army, and at least it was close.

Hence why BC looks better than their record.

burnspbesq
10-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Others receiving votes: ... Duke 3

Tied for 36th.

OldPhiKap
10-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Others receiving votes: ... Duke 3

Tied for 36th.

Spurrier told Mark Richt he had to vote, too, after the Gamecocks pasted the Dawgs.

Native
10-07-2012, 04:51 PM
In related news, Virginia Tech just opened as an eleven-point favorite for next weekend. Interesting. Time to make a statement.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-07-2012, 04:54 PM
In related news, Virginia Tech just opened as an eleven-point favorite for next weekend. Interesting. Time to make a statement.
If it can open, we can close it! I think we're going to see a tough, determined Duke team headed to Blacksburg to bring the Hokey world to an end.;)

loran16
10-07-2012, 06:34 PM

11? Wow, I figured we'd be closer to 7 point dogs, but 11? Ouch. Well no one said it would be an easy game.

CameronBornAndBred
10-07-2012, 06:50 PM
The True Blue 'Cue Crew will be in Rocky Mount at the Eastern Carolina BBQ Throwdown. We got lucky last year and had a weekend without a Duke game, and this year we got lucky with an away game...but we'll be turning in our ribs when the game kicks off with still our pork and brisket waiting on deck for the judges. At least we'll have our satellite dish and TV set up so we can enjoy the game while we wait on the scores. I want our bbq team to do well, but it's gonna be hard to concentrate knowing we are making plays on the field. Hoping both of us come home winners!

PDDuke85
10-07-2012, 07:05 PM
11? Wow, I figured we'd be closer to 7 point dogs, but 11? Ouch. Well no one said it would be an easy game.

would rather the spread be 21. Our lads tend to do well under the radar and with a side order of no respect

ForkFondler
10-07-2012, 07:07 PM

TEAM PRE ELO
FSU 12 23
UNC 15 53
Clem 25 24
VT 40 55
NCSt 45 42
GT 59 96
MIA 67 30
BC 73 103
MD 75 63
DUKE 77 47
UVA 94 79
WF 106 76

Overall standing and rating looks like this:

TEAM Rank Rating
FSU 13 86.3
UNC 20 82.3
Clem 24 81.3
VT 40 76.1
NCSt 45 75.0
MIA 62 71.7
GT 65 70.7
MD 72 69.4
Duke 75 69.0
BC 77 68.0
UVA 94 64.7
WF 101 62.8

Home field is worth 2.6 points, so Duke is a0.1 point underdog against Miami -- every other game is worse.

Newton_14
10-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Overall standing and rating looks like this:

TEAM Rank Rating
FSU 13 86.3
UNC 20 82.3
Clem 24 81.3
VT 40 76.1
NCSt 45 75.0
MIA 62 71.7
GT 65 70.7
MD 72 69.4
Duke 75 69.0
BC 77 68.0
UVA 94 64.7
WF 101 62.8

Home field is worth 2.6 points, so Duke is a 0.1 point underdog against Miami -- every other game is worse.

So, by that system, FSU would only be a 6.9 favorite over UNC at home and a mere 1.4 at UNC? Wow. Can't remember if they play this year or not, but even with the loss at NC State I would think this FSU team would be a bigger favorite than that over this UNC team.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-07-2012, 09:08 PM
So, by that system, FSU would only be a 6.9 favorite over UNC at home and a mere 1.4 at UNC? Wow. Can't remember if they play this year or not, but even with the loss at NC State I would think this FSU team would be a bigger favorite than that over this UNC team.

Carolina and Florida State do not play this year. Here's the Carolina schedule:http://www.goheels.com/SportSelect.dbml?SITE=UNC&DB_OEM_ID=3350&SPID=12962&SPSID=667865

loran16
10-07-2012, 09:57 PM

Again, the system likes - often for good reason - using the margin of victory as a way to tell the good teams from the bad, as the truly good teams kill the bad teams on their schedule. Carolina has beaten it's two terrible opponents 62-0 and 66-0 (and has a 21 point victory over ECU), which make it look a lot better in the predictor (the RATING is an average of the two systems essentially). This makes them look really good in the predictor.

ForkFondler
10-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Again, the system likes - often for good reason - using the margin of victory as a way to tell the good teams from the bad, as the truly good teams kill the bad teams on their schedule. Carolina has beaten it's two terrible opponents 62-0 and 66-0 (and has a 21 point victory over ECU), which make it look a lot better in the predictor (the RATING is an average of the two systems essentially). This makes them look really good in the predictor.

The predictor score rewards teams who run up the score, while the ELO does not. All teams put their second-third-fourth strings in when way ahead, so deep teams look better in the predictor. Duke is not deep. If they get a few guys back off the injury list, they will be a bit deeper.

devildeac
10-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Based on the way Cut has prepared our guys this year so far, we are 0-0 this week and looking to go 1-0. I like this approach.

hansvanbenschoten
10-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Based on the way Cut has prepared our guys this year so far, we are 0-0 this week and looking to go 1-0. I like this approach.

The vt/Duke game at wallace wade last year was crazy. Duke was in it til the end. If it wasnt for a few missed short fgs...Duke very well would have won that game. Im a student at vatech, and am pumped for this. If you see a Duke shirt in the student section (its homecoming maroon effect game here by the way), 99% chance its me. We have found a pretty reliable running game to go along with the passing attack that was always there. If our defensive line can hold up against a relatively weak running game of tech, I think we'll keep it close. Logan Thomas has been throwing the ball terribly thus far this year. My biggest concern is tackling in the open field, or in general for that matter. Way too many missed tackles this season, especially early on in the UVA game. Lets Go Duke!

Bob Green
10-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Vegas has set the over/under at 54 with VT a 9.5 points favorite. The math works out to a final score of VT 32, Duke 22. I don't think VT can hold us to 22 points, but I think we can hold VT to a field goal less than 30. I'm looking for a score in the neighborhood of Duke 28, VT 27, which equals 55. So that's a longwinded way of saying, I recommend Duke and the over. :D

watzone
10-09-2012, 03:47 PM
One thing I have noticed this season was how well Anthony Boone handles himself and his teammates. Expect him to play a lot more as the season progresses. http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/10/bdn-exclusive-one-on-one-with-duke-qb-anthony-boone/ Here is an interview with Anthony from todays presser.

He may well start in Blacksburg and he's splitting practice snaps with Renfree this week. FWIW, motel rooms, one star rooms are going for 150 plus and you still have a thirty minute ride to the stadium. With the noonish start, forget trying to drive up the day of the game unless you leave when it is still quite dark. Go Devils. beat the Hokies.

Bob Green
10-10-2012, 08:06 PM
About 64.5 hours to kick-off, so it is time to bump this thread back to the top. For the third week in a row, Duke plays an extremely important game. Virginia Tech is vulnerable:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2012/oct/07/tdsport01-season-has-a-decidedly-unusual-look-for-ar-2263626/

And we are overdue for a victory over the Hokies!

OldPhiKap
10-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Finally watched the video of Cut's Tuesday press conference. How can you not love this guy? Talks about bowls, VT, basketball team, recruiting, etc. But above all, he makes you believe in Fuke and in doing it the right way.

I can see why folks would run through a wall for this guy. Which is what we will need in Blacksburg.

DukeSean
10-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Saturday can't get here fast enough.

Prediction: 31-24 Duke. If I were a betting man, at the very least I'd bet on Duke to beat the spread.

In a related topic, FIU is 1-5 this season, with their lone win coming against Akron, another 1-5 team. I'm getting used to Cutcliffe being very liberal with his praise on upcoming opponents, but that one was apparently way off.

CameronBornAndBred
10-11-2012, 11:06 AM
I've read that IF the Hokies win, it will be their 200th in Lane Stadium. Obviously they have plenty of other reasons to pull out the victory, but I hate playing milemarker games like that. Looking forward to us to being the spoilers of their bicentennial party.

Bluedog
10-11-2012, 11:19 AM
In a related topic, FIU is 1-5 this season, with their lone win coming against Akron, another 1-5 team. I'm getting used to Cutcliffe being very liberal with his praise on upcoming opponents, but that one was apparently way off.

Well, to be fair, it wasn't only Cutcliffe praising FIU - they received several votes in the AP Top 25 pre-season poll, so he was likely agreeing with the masses. And, yeah, Duke historically is not a school to take any team lightly.

Bob Green
10-12-2012, 05:16 AM
Will Monday and Ross Martin had great days kicking the ball against Virginia and it would go a long way toward securing a win in Blacksburg if they repeat their performances this Saturday. Field position is so important. Virginia Tech is #2 in the conference in Punt Return Average and #3 in Kickoff Returns so our coverage teams need to be ready to go.

devildeac
10-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Will Monday and Ross Martin had great days kicking the ball against Virginia and it would go a long way toward securing a win in Blacksburg if they repeat their performances this Saturday. Field position is so important. Virginia Tech is #2 in the conference in Punt Return Average and #3 in Kickoff Returns so our coverage teams need to be ready to go.

I'd love to see Isaac Blakeney blow up a couple of their punt/KO returns. In fact, I hope we have a lot of KO that he can destroy;).

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Look for a great day for our M&Ms. They're among the best in the country. :cool:

chrishoke
10-12-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm convinced if we get to 30, we win the game. Problem is, VPI always seems to be able to shut us down.

-bdbd
10-12-2012, 10:50 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/hokies-journal/post/virginia-techs-ol-depth-will-get-tested-vs-duke/2012/10/11/6041feba-13e9-11e2-be82-c3411b7680a9_blog.html

When was the last time you saw an article talking about Duke testing Va Tech's depth on the line??? Ha! Ususally the other way around.

Tech has some injuries and players out on their Offensive line. They do have a key RB (Gregory) and a WR (Roberts) back from injury apparently.

Go Duke!!

-bdbd
10-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Here's another article from today's Washington Post previewing Duke and VPI. Good, quick overview, though he does end up predicting VPI over us by 31-21.
Folks won't believe that we can beat them until we actually start doing it. At least some of the usual Va Tech bravado is missing this year. :rolleyes:

Note that there's a "game prediction" poll at the end... You know what to do.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/hokies-journal/post/virginia-tech-vs-duke-who-do-you-think-will-win/2012/10/12/25fa6012-146b-11e2-ba83-a7a396e6b2a7_blog.html

DukeSean
10-12-2012, 03:36 PM
does Snrub chat still exist?

loran16
10-12-2012, 03:44 PM
does Snrub chat still exist?

I think it technically still is (snrub.com), but most of us football fans on this board have been chatting every game over at Section 20 of Crazietalk: http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/chat/ (You'll find myself, CB&B, Bob Green, DevilDeac and a bunch of others all there).

DukeSean
10-12-2012, 03:46 PM
I think it technically still is (snrub.com), but most of us football fans on this board have been chatting every game over at Section 20 of Crazietalk: http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/chat/ (You'll find myself, CB&B, Bob Green, DevilDeac and a bunch of others all there).

Thanks, I was wondering where everyone was chatting. Tried Snrub a few times earlier in the season and it wouldn't load

OldPhiKap
10-12-2012, 03:50 PM

"It's what all the cool kids are doing these days."

(Haven't been there since hoops season, but DD was kind enough to shoot me a link last week)

DukeSean
10-12-2012, 05:10 PM
"It's what all the cool kids are doing these days."

(Haven't been there since hoops season, but DD was kind enough to shoot me a link last week)

dang. I haven't been cool since, maybe 2nd grade. will be nice to make that return to greatness.

see y'all tomorrow! GO DUKE! BEAT VT!

devildeac
10-12-2012, 05:10 PM

Technicality: It's section 21. If you journey to Section 20, you'll be with all the students;);).

riddle me this
10-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Anyone know if it will be on Durham channels or streaming on the web? I have DirectTV and also internet.

Dukehky
10-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Anyone know if it will be on Durham channels or streaming on the web? I have DirectTV and also internet.

ACC Network, it's running on CBS in Charlotte (WBTV), I would think and could be wrong that it would be the same in Durham.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-12-2012, 10:46 PM
In your area, the game will be broadcast on WRAL. Since it's an away game, a blackout is unlikely.
http://www.theacc.com/live/2012-acc-football-match-center-duke-at-virginia-tech.html

sagegrouse
10-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Channel 13 in Ball-mer. -- sagegrouse

Bob Green
10-13-2012, 05:46 AM
This Richmond Times-Dispatch article lists Virginia Tech's three keys to victory:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2012/oct/13/tdsport03-duke-at-virginia-tech-preview-capsule-ar-2279313/

Key number three really highlights the explosiveness of Duke's offense:

3Don't give up the big plays. Duke's offense has struck for 18 touchdowns of 30 yards or longer and nine of 40 yards or more this season. Tech's defense has made more than its share of big mistakes, especially in the secondary. It can't afford to do that against the Blue Devils.

So, the three keys to victory for Duke are:

1. Avoid a slow start.
2. Stop the run.
3. Execute on offense.

uh_no
10-13-2012, 08:12 AM
This Richmond Times-Dispatch article lists Virginia Tech's three keys to victory:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2012/oct/13/tdsport03-duke-at-virginia-tech-preview-capsule-ar-2279313/

1. Avoid a slow start.
2. Stop the run.
3. Execute on offense.

so in simple terms
1. do these things all game
2. stop them from scoring
3. score points

...about as useful as baseball keys to the game that include "throw strikes", and "get outs"

riddle me this
10-13-2012, 09:24 AM
For those who have access, it is also on ESPN3

moonpie23
10-13-2012, 11:06 AM
is today the day that duke football sends a shockwave? i think it's a real possibility.....these guys are starting to believe they can win....

dukebballcamper90-91
10-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Let's Go Duke!!!!!!!!

devildeac
10-13-2012, 11:36 AM

Pacing the floors and wringing my hands, too. I hope we get off to a solid start and don't get overwhelmed early like we did against Stanford.

chrishoke
10-13-2012, 11:41 AM

Pacing the floors and wringing my hands, too. I hope we get off to a solid start and don't get overwhelmed early like we did against Stanford.

We must come out aggressively - this team can't play it close to the vest.

killerleft
10-13-2012, 11:56 AM

Agreed. We must be ready from the start! Butterflies here.

Go Duke!

-bdbd
10-13-2012, 11:58 AM
so in simple terms
1. do these things all game
2. stop them from scoring
3. score points

...about as useful as baseball keys to the game that include "throw strikes", and "get outs"

I dunno, as a Nats fan who was at the Cardinals game last night (and didn't get home until after 3am!) I can say that quite a few Nationals fans today would argue that there aren't two more poignant words than that - "throw strikes!" :( :( :( Now I know how Kerlina felt after Rivers' shot in Chappa Heeel last year...

Very excited that this game will be on the local network station in the DC area. Am wearing my Duke colors to my kids' soccer games this AM, amongst dozens of alums in "Hokie drag." At least they aren't trash-talking as they have in years past! :D

riverside6
10-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Live stats for Duke/VT here: http://www.scacchoops.com/FB_ViewHDGame.asp?hGame=2337

Wander
10-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Duke's offensive line is surprisingly good and VT's pass rush is terrible. If this pattern holds today and Renfree gets lots of time to throw, that's a huge benefit to us.

Bob Green
10-13-2012, 12:39 PM
No slow start today! Renfree had all day to throw the ball.

DU82
10-13-2012, 12:53 PM
No slow start today! Renfree had all day to throw the ball.

So much for a good start. It's a GREAT start!

arnie
10-13-2012, 12:59 PM
So much for a good start. It's a GREAT start!

Are we simply better than VPI??

sporthenry
10-13-2012, 01:06 PM

Wow. Very early still 3 quarters to play so hopefully Duke doesn't let up but you said 20 point lead in the first quarter, I'd bet you my house. Hopefully they finish strong.

Wander
10-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Wow, I nominate that interception for the play of the year so far...

sagegrouse
10-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Said the announcer, as Jordan Byas (sp?) grabs a bobbled ball and returns for a TD.

DU82
10-13-2012, 01:07 PM

YES!

sagegrouse
10-13-2012, 01:09 PM
As a Nats and Duke football fan, I can assure you that no lead is safe. -- sagegrouse

sporthenry
10-13-2012, 01:10 PM
This is a game where you either step on the throat when you have them or you slowly let them back into the game and the crowd gets more fired up b/c of the comeback. A stop here and just a few first downs would do wonders.

arnie
10-13-2012, 01:16 PM
As a Nats and Duke football fan, I can assure you that no lead is safe. -- sagegrouse

You've had a hard life!

CDu
10-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Would have liked the defense to play a bit better on that last drive (at least held VT to a FG). But aside from that, this game has been amazing! Let's keep putting points on the board and make it tough for Tech to catch up.

Dukehky
10-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Unfortunately, as most of us are painfully aware, the game's never over with Duke football. Gonna be a dog fight the rest of the way.

Damn!!! We needed that throw to Crowder to connect right there.

Go Duke, Beat VT

Dukehky
10-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Renfree was on the ground when he got hit. That was an absolutely atrocious no call.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-13-2012, 01:41 PM
To the announcers, that's SIRK, not Sink!

uh_no
10-13-2012, 01:54 PM
We must come out aggressively - this team can't play it close to the vest.

for some reason i feel like i'm back on the john wall recruitment thread :D

ChrisP
10-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Renfree was on the ground when he got hit. That was an absolutely atrocious no call.

I thought so, too. Even if he wasn't on the ground, how is that NOT a shot to the head? Isn't that (shot to the head) illegal??? Typical VT BS! :mad:

ChrisP
10-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Great to see Renfree come back but man, is he taking some shots! Come on, O-line!

uh_no
10-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Great to see Renfree come back but man, is he taking some shots! Come on, O-line!

part of it is VT secondary has stepped it up....

ChrisP
10-13-2012, 02:04 PM
NOT the way to end the half! Good lord, what was that defensive scheme? Could he have been MORE wide open? Seriously??? What a horrible turnaround - bad throw by Renfree takes away what looked to at least be a good shot at a FG and we give up 7 on the other end in one da** play :mad:

davekay1971
10-13-2012, 02:09 PM
NOT the way to end the half! Good lord, what was that defensive scheme? Could he have been MORE wide open? Seriously??? What a horrible turnaround - bad throw by Renfree takes away what looked to at least be a good shot at a FG and we give up 7 on the other end in one da** play :mad:

No way around it. Anywhere from a 10-14 point turnaround in the last minute of the 2nd half and the momentum is all VT. Cut needs to settle the team down at the half, get them back to playing fearlessly like they did in the first quarter, and remind them that it's a 30 minute ballgame and they are still in a position to walk out of Blacksburg with the win.

PDDuke85
10-13-2012, 02:25 PM
No way around it. Anywhere from a 10-14 point turnaround in the last minute of the 2nd half and the momentum is all VT. Cut needs to settle the team down at the half, get them back to playing fearlessly like they did in the first quarter, and remind them that it's a 30 minute ballgame and they are still in a position to walk out of Blacksburg with the win.

Time for that patented Duke 2nd half clamp down.

Dukehky
10-13-2012, 02:33 PM
If we don't get some points here, this game has the potential to get out of hand.

75Crazie
10-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Duke is getting beat again on both sides of the line -- just like first half last week. This game has the potential to get real ugly.

ChrisP
10-13-2012, 02:46 PM
If we don't get some points here, this game has the potential to get out of hand.

So, we were up by 20 to start the game and now...it looks like we might lose by 20. Whatever confidence we had is gone now. I was worried about our corners' ability to cover people. VT QB making us look silly. Gotta get something going offensively to stop their momentum here or this one is over, I'm afraid.

arnie
10-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Apparently NO

ChrisP
10-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Serious question here: Why do our kick returners catch the ball at like the 2 or three yard line and try to run it out? Doesn't a touchback mean we get it at the 25 now?

uh_no
10-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Serious question here: Why do our kick returners catch the ball at like the 2 or three yard line and try to run it out? Doesn't a touchback mean we get it at the 25 now?

how do you get a touchback from the 2 yard line?

you can only get a touchback from inside the endzone

Dukehky
10-13-2012, 02:56 PM

Yes, and while the game was closer, the middle 2 or 3 VT kickoffs, they let it go. However, being down by 11, its worth the shot to try and break one. At the beginning of the game, they tried to run it out, had little success, then started letting the ball touchback, but now they have to try and make something happen. It's a small chance to take, since Duncan is probably going to get it near the 20.

Virginia Tech is a better football team than us. There's a reason they were ranked so highly before the season.

Unfortunately, for the remainder of the season, we're going to play better football teams. In this one we had our chances and didn't put em under when we had the chance and VT made us pay for it.

anything is possible of course, but i would be shocked if we got back in this game, a little early to start looking at some positives maybe, but that's where I am with it. Logan Thomas is the best athlete on the field and he's showing it on every other play at least.

Dukehky
10-13-2012, 02:57 PM

that ball will bounce in the endzone/through it making it an automatic touchback. That's what he meant by that I think.

uh_no
10-13-2012, 03:00 PM
that ball will bounce in the endzone/through it making it an automatic touchback. That's what he meant by that I think.

gotcha.....you can't risk that on a kickoff, though, where the kicking team can recover

ChrisP
10-13-2012, 03:01 PM

Yes, I know that! I was wondering why our returners don't let it bounce and roll into the endzone for a touchback. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

uh_no
10-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Yes, I know that! I was wondering why our returners don't let it bounce and roll into the endzone for a touchback. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

ah. gotcha.

either way, you can't take the risk that it bounces back the other direction and the kicking team recovers.

75Crazie
10-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Virginia Tech is a better football team than us. There's a reason they were ranked so highly before the season.

Unfortunately, for the remainder of the season, we're going to play better football teams. In this one we had our chances and didn't put em under when we had the chance and VT made us pay for it.
You called it. A lot of people got excited over the way the Hokies played last week and way Duke played in the 2nd half last week. I think both were aberrations (the latter not so much by Duke, but by UVA). I am surprised, though, at how completely Duke has imploded in this second half.

Dukehky
10-13-2012, 03:06 PM
ah. gotcha.

either way, you can't take the risk that it bounces back the other direction and the kicking team recovers.

Not really a concern based on the trajectory of the kick, punts are a little different, of course those are the risks. But with duncan catching it at the 2 yard line in his numbers, the ball's going to bounce in the endzone as opposed to the one.

Wow, we're reduced to talking about touchbacks and whether or not to take one. Damn Hokies.

CDu
10-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Not looking good now. Tech is rolling and our offense has become nonexistent. Down two TDs, punting to VT to start the fourth. Maybe next week? More likely scenario is that we go into the Georgia Tech game still looking for that 6th win. Hopefully I'm wrong and we either come back today or upset UNC. But my guess is that we'll need that Georgia Tech game to get to 6.

sagegrouse
10-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Not looking good now. Tech is rolling and our offense has become nonexistent. Down two TDs, punting to VT to start the fourth. Maybe next week? More likely scenario is that we go into the Georgia Tech game still looking for that 6th win. Hopefully I'm wrong and we either come back today or upset UNC. But my guess is that we'll need that Georgia Tech game to get to 6.

Time to clutch at straws: all scores have been to the endzone on the right (south?). Isn't that so? Now it's our turn.

sagegrouse

Wander
10-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Throwing to Blakeney way too much. The 2nd half team looks like a Duke team from 5-10 years ago.

sagegrouse
10-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Time to clutch at straws: all scores have been to the endzone on the right (south?). Isn't that so? Now it's our turn.

sagegrouse

Well, I guess not. -- sage

Class of '94
10-13-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm I wrong to think that with the O-line having problems protecting the QB, the coaches should play Boone more. IMO Boone's ability to scramble makes the Blue Devils offense harder to defend and less predictable. Reinfree hasn't looked good in the second half and he's clearly rushing a lot of his throws because of the pressure. Why not sit Reinfree and go with Boone the rest of the way, especially with Duke down by 3 touchdowns now.

IMO, the coaches should've made the switch in the 3rd quarter when Duke wasn't doing anything on offense.

6th Man
10-13-2012, 03:54 PM
The interception at the end of the half and ultimate Tech TD really changed the dynamic of the game. We went from new Duke to old Duke instantly. The challenge now is to not lose confidence and get ready for UNC. Time to get angry about today and bring it next Saturday!

DukeSean
10-13-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm I wrong to think that with the O-line having problems protecting the QB, the coaches should play Boone more. IMO Boone's ability to scramble makes the Blue Devils offense harder to defend and less predictable. Reinfree hasn't looked good in the second half and he's clearly rushing a lot of his throws because of the pressure. Why not sit Reinfree and go with Boone the rest of the way, especially with Duke down by 3 touchdowns now.

IMO, the coaches should've made the switch in the 3rd quarter when Duke wasn't doing anything on offense.

When Renfree went down with the injury, Boone wasn't very sharp. Overthrew a couple guys that would've easily been touchdowns. IMO Renfree was our best bet to get back in the game. The load of the blame has to go to the Oline, which was downright atrocious after the first quarter, and as you said, made Renfree rush his throws

Class of '94
10-13-2012, 04:07 PM
When Renfree went down with the injury, Boone wasn't very sharp. Overthrew a couple guys that would've easily been touchdowns. IMO Renfree was our best bet to get back in the game. The load of the blame has to go to the Oline, which was downright atrocious after the first quarter, and as you said, made Renfree rush his throws

Got it.....I wasn't able to see all of the game online. Everyone will have to be sharper when we play Carolina next week. I'm concerned at this point that we may see the same thing happen in regards to UNC's defense putting pressure on our O-line and Reinfree to make plays. If Reinfree doesn't get the time he needs to throw the ball and Boone isn't sharp, it could be a long day for us against UNC. I wonder if the team lost its edge a little bit after being UVA and receiving all of the positive press (similar to what happened against Stanford on the road). This team has to stay sharp and play with an edge to win games.

burnspbesq
10-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Wakeup call, reality check, whatever. The only thing to do with this game is learn from it. Next play.

Duvall
10-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Got it.....I wasn't able to see all of the game online. Everyone will have to be sharper when we play Carolina next week. I'm concerned at this point that we may see the same thing happen in regards to UNC's defense putting pressure on our O-line and Reinfree to make plays. If Reinfree doesn't get the time he needs to throw the ball and Boone isn't sharp, it could be a long day for us against UNC. I wonder if the team lost its edge a little bit after being UVA and receiving all of the positive press (similar to what happened against Stanford on the road). This team has to stay sharp and play with an edge to win games.

Sure, if losing the edge means being smaller and less athletic than the opponent.

Duke was ready to play, they just didn't have the personnel to win against a Virginia Tech team that wasn't sleepwalking.

devildeac
10-13-2012, 04:22 PM

1. Avoid a slow start.
2. Stop the run.
3. Execute on offense.

Well, one out of three...

Class of '94
10-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Sure, if losing the edge means being smaller and less athletic than the opponent.

Duke was ready to play, they just didn't have the personnel to win against a Virginia Tech team that wasn't sleepwalking.

Duke was also up 20-0 at the end of the first quarter with missed opportunities that could've put them up more at the time. They also had fumbles and bad turnovers that really cost them and were IMO more a product of sloppiness than being overwhelemed by VT's size and speed. They came out strong in the first quarter and looked like a top 25 team; but as a poster stated earlier, they reverted to the old Duke team by then end of the 2 quarter/early 3rd quarter. I also agree that the turning point in the game was the turnover by Duke and touchdown by VT at the end of the second quarter that changed the game for us. Combined that with miscues on defense that led to explosive touchdown plays; and it was all she wrote.

Duke's going to be undersized against most teams they play in the ACC; but they have the talent to beat many of them if they play sharp imo.

devildeac
10-13-2012, 04:32 PM

I said this during chat. Disastrous sequence. Driving nicely for 3 or perhaps 7 late in the half and come up with a bad TO and then fail to put a defender within 5 yards of their receiver on the very next play. 10-14 point turn around. Maybe we don't win with a 20-10 or 23-10 or even a 27-10 lead at the half, but then again, maybe the wheels don't fall off in the third quarter either.

chrishoke
10-13-2012, 06:18 PM
We looked like we quit out there. 41-0 wow - couldn't block or tackle.

Indoor66
10-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Why does DBR insist on using the VPI designation for Virginia Tech? VPI is the formal name of the University but... "In the late 1970s, the shorthand name "Virginia Tech" was adopted as the proper identification of the university's athletic teams over the acronym "V.P.I." and the media were requested to use "Virginia Tech" in their reporting of sport scores. In the early 1990s, the school authorized the official use of Virginia Tech as equivalent to the full VPI&SU name." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Polytechnic_Institute_and_State_Universit y)Are we unable to honor the request of the University to identify it's athletic teams as Virginia Tech? I understand unc and agree. I wonder why the VPI. It seems, IMO, a little too cute.

75Crazie
10-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Why does DBR insist on using the VPI designation for Virginia Tech? VPI is the formal name of the University but... "In the late 1970s, the shorthand name "Virginia Tech" was adopted as the proper identification of the university's athletic teams over the acronym "V.P.I." and the media were requested to use "Virginia Tech" in their reporting of sport scores. In the early 1990s, the school authorized the official use of Virginia Tech as equivalent to the full VPI&SU name." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Polytechnic_Institute_and_State_Universit y)Are we unable to honor the request of the University to identify it's athletic teams as Virginia Tech? I understand unc and agree. I wonder why the VPI. It seems, IMO, a little too cute.
Growing up in Virginia a half-century ago, we always called the school "VPI". As you say, "Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University" is its official name. I see no reason to consider the usage of "VPI" as cute -- it is how some of us old-timers still think of the school.

Indoor66
10-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Growing up in Virginia a half-century ago, we always called the school "VPI". As you say, "Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University" is its official name. I see no reason to consider the usage of "VPI" as cute -- it is how some of us old-timers still think of the school.

I am a good bit older than you and also remember VPI. That said, they have requested the use of Virginia Tech. That request predates DBR. IMO, we should respect that request. Duke University was known as Trinity College prior to 1924. Should we call Duke "Trinity" rather than Duke today?

sagegrouse
10-13-2012, 09:55 PM
I am a good bit older than you and also remember VPI. That said, they have requested the use of Virginia Tech. That request predates DBR. IMO, we should respect that request. Duke University was known as Trinity College prior to 1924. Should we call Duke "Trinity" rather than Duke today?

Well, I also remember when East Carolina University was the silly but euphonic ECTC -- East Carolina Teacher's College.

sage

Dukeface88
10-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Should we call Duke "Trinity" rather than Duke today?

I wouldn't mind, but I imagine my engineer friends would object. They always seemed to consider the distinction quite important, although I have no idea why.

75Crazie
10-14-2012, 12:43 AM
Illogical metaphor. The official name of Virginia Tech today can, indeed, be represented by the initialism "VPI".

I was really not quibbling about your objection to people using that term ... I was quibbling about your characterization of such usage as "cute". That was not worthy of mention.

Olympic Fan
10-14-2012, 01:12 AM

I'll stop using it when VPI does -- they have played several basketball games in the last three seasons with a VPI jersy.

Bob Green
10-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Sometimes I am guilty of oversimplifying things, but a team cannot expect to win when they cannot run the ball. Our net rushing was 22 yards yesterday. Renfree was sacked five times for 38 yards so add those back in and we have 60 yards. Our offense is one dimensional.

Conner Vernon catches that ball at the end of the half 99 out of 100 times. Jamison Crowder misses a touchdown by a couple of inches. Those two plays go the other way and Duke might have won.

The halftime score should have been 23-10 or 27-10. Oh well...shoulda, woulda, coulda...I hope the guys can move on.

OldPhiKap
10-14-2012, 08:30 AM
We dominated both sides of the line of scrimmage in the first quarter. Got beat up after that, both ways on the line. Ugh.

Newton_14
10-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Sometimes I am guilty of oversimplifying things, but a team cannot expect to win when they cannot run the ball. Our net rushing was 22 yards yesterday. Renfree was sacked five times for 38 yards so add those back in and we have 60 yards. Our offense is one dimensional.

Conner Vernon catches that ball at the end of the half 99 out of 100 times. Jamison Crowder misses a touchdown by a couple of inches. Those two plays go the other way and Duke might have won.

The halftime score should have been 23-10 or 27-10. Oh well...shoulda, woulda, coulda...I hope the guys can move on.

The halftime score really should have been at a minimum 30-7, possibly more. Both interceptions were poor execution on Duke's part, there were two overthrows on plays where receivers were 2 steps behind the defender, and they came on two different series. Execute on 3 of those 4 plays and Duke wins. Very winnable game. As DD stated, the sequence at the end of the game was brutal. Never has momentum shifted so drastically so quickly. It sealed the fate, and rocked the confidence of Duke. I blame the second half solely on a deflated, shell-shocked team. I disagree strongly that it was superior size and athletic ability of the opponent. Hogwash.

It would also have helped to have available all of our injured guys, but that is another story.

Parting shot: The hit on Renfree was the typical VPI dirty play we have seen over the years up there. Renfree slid, was already down and in a vulnerable condition, and got creamed to the head. Should have been a flag. One of these days karma will come around....

roywhite
10-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Throwing to Blakeney way too much. The 2nd half team looks like a Duke team from 5-10 years ago.

Blakeney seems like a great athlete, but not a great receiver. Like to see him on defense, where we need more athletes.
Just my .02

75Crazie
10-14-2012, 10:02 AM
I blame the second half solely on a deflated, shell-shocked team. I disagree strongly that it was superior size and athletic ability of the opponent. Hogwash.
I call your "hogwash" and raise you a "mule muffins". The game had already turned well before those two plays at the end of the second half; those were just the icing on the cake. Go back and watch that whole second quarter again. You will see the Duke quarterback harried consistently because the O-line could not block the Hokie rushers, and you will see the D-line get moved back time and again. The play in that second quarter was not as hugely off-sided as it became in the second half, but the writing was on the wall starting with that first VT touchdown at the end of the first quarter. I'll grant you that the second half was not representative of Duke play, but the play after our pick-six showed me that there is still a gap between the Hokies' football capabilities and ours.

Bob Green
10-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Laura Keeley says Jamison Crowder was inbounds and offers a picture as proof:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/sites/drupalblogs.newsobserver.com/files/images/14NaLR.St.156.jpeg

Oh well, spilt milk...

Acymetric
10-14-2012, 10:49 AM

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/sites/drupalblogs.newsobserver.com/files/images/14NaLR.St.156.jpeg

Oh well, spilt milk...

I thought it looked awful close on replay, and wonder if higher quality replay cameras (that showed less blurry images in frame by frame) might have made the review go in my favor. I was certainly surprised it was "Call Confirmed" as opposed to "Call Stands."

uh_no
10-14-2012, 11:23 AM
I thought it looked awful close on replay, and wonder if higher quality replay cameras (that showed less blurry images in frame by frame) might have made the review go in my favor. I was certainly surprised it was "Call Confirmed" as opposed to "Call Stands."

they mean the same thing from the ref's perspective, and even the picture that was posted is close enough that it might not be "indisputable" enough to overturn the call

Acymetric
10-14-2012, 12:01 PM
they mean the same thing from the ref's perspective, and even the picture that was posted is close enough that it might not be "indisputable" enough to overturn the call

I forget where I read (or heard) this, but my understanding was that Call Stands meant there was not enough evidence to overturn whereas Call Confirmed meant the video showed that the correct call was made. That could be completely wrong though.

MCFinARL
10-14-2012, 12:19 PM
I forget where I read (or heard) this, but my understanding was that Call Stands meant there was not enough evidence to overturn whereas Call Confirmed meant the video showed that the correct call was made. That could be completely wrong though.

That is definitely what they do in the NFL, but I'm not sure about college.

uh_no
10-14-2012, 12:20 PM

oh, hm. you may be right. I thought that the ref just said whatever they felt like that day

the NFL rulebook, at least, just says
A decision will be reversed only when the Referee has Indisputable visual evidence available to him that warrants the change.

But, the NCAA says

1. If the video evidence confirms the on-field ruling:
“After further review, the ruling on the field is confirmed.”
2. If there is no indisputable (conclusive) evidence to reverse the on-field
ruling:
“After further review, the ruling on the field stands."

so, you're completely correct! now, whether refs actually adhere to those standards....who knows...since in terms of the game, the outcome is the same.

Dukehky
10-14-2012, 12:24 PM
I thought he was pretty clearly on the line while watching on TV. Don't think it would have mattered in the grand scheme of things.

Time to focus on stopping Gio, because that's going to be really tough.

barely
10-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Blakeney seems like a great athlete, but not a great receiver. Like to see him on defense, where we need more athletes.
Just my .02

I agree wholeheartely here. Just as (or perhaps more importantly) important as his ability to catch the ball, he seems to be out of sync or just flate out in the wrong place often. He's clearly one of our best pure athletes and I would think he could really star just about anywhere on defense, safety, linebacker, rush defensive end. Pretty obvious that we could use more pressive on the QB. Make no mistake - when he catches the ball, he's a force and he could be great on jump ball-type passes, but those scenarious are not happening frequently. Moreover, we have Reeves and Schneider at TE whereas we are decimated on defense with injuriers. Usual caveat applies - none of us are at practice and the coached tried him once already on defense. I really would love to see what he could do as a rush DE. He's about the size of Peppers as a freshman and looks like he should put on 20-30 pounds easily.

I also agree with Newton on the dirty hit on Renfree. You could argue about whether it was late, but it clearly was an illegal hit to the head, which happened right in front of the ref, the umpire and both side judges. How did they miss that call? The fact tha they missed it does not mean that it wasn't a dirty place and reminded me immediately of the late hit on Thad a few years ago. The conference should take some action. I saw Cut pointing to his head after the place as he was barking at the officials. I hope is presses the issue with the conference. I wondered after that about Renfree. He did not seem the same again.

DU82
10-14-2012, 07:35 PM

Oh well, spilt milk...

I can't tell definitively with that picture, and look at the ref. he was in absolutely perfect position to make the call. At some point, we need to go back to trust the refs when they're exactly where they're supposed to be. Replays are For when the ref doesn't have a good angle, or something that isn't clear to the eye...a fumble in a scrum, for instance.

(I also thought the video replays showed that he was OOB.)

devildeac
10-14-2012, 08:17 PM
You know that we have arrived as a FB school when DBR is "shut down" for 12-18 hours after a tough loss;):rolleyes:.

And BTW, I'm with Newton_14 and another poster or two from above. The hit to Renfree was late and particularly dirty considering it really appeared it was to the head. Memories of Thad Lewis. :mad:

devildeac
10-14-2012, 08:23 PM

IIRC, we had another two plays where one of our WR had a step or two on the DB and were overthrown by about a stride. A little more "air" under one or both passes and we might have 30 at the half like another poster commented.

Like Bob said, I hope they can recover.

sagegrouse
10-14-2012, 08:49 PM
You know that we have arrived as a FB school when DBR is "shut down" for 12-18 hours after a tough loss;):rolleyes:.

And BTW, I'm with Newton_14 and another poster or two from above. The hit to Renfree was late and particularly dirty considering it really appeared it was to the head. Memories of Thad Lewis. :mad:.

While I would rather beat UNC than other team, I would rather beat Frank Beamer than any other coach. It was a typical day for his goons -- er, players. One Duke QB sidelined for the game (Connette); starting Duke QB sidelined for a quarter. Close perhaps, but not as bad as the day at Wallace Wade when those guys had four roughing the QB penalties before they finally administered a game-ending concussion to Thad Lewis, our only experienced QB.

sagegrouse

mkline09
10-14-2012, 09:24 PM

And BTW, I'm with Newton_14 and another poster or two from above. The hit to Renfree was late and particularly dirty considering it really appeared it was to the head. Memories of Thad Lewis. :mad:

Cut in his teleconference today said he didn't really think the hit on Renfree was late, but said he would like to see the rule changed to match the NFL where once a guy slides you can't hit him.

With regards to the Crowder TD he also said that it was too close to call and there wasn't enough evidence to overturn. He mentioned the stills but sounded generally okay about the call. He may have been being over diplomatic though.

75Crazie
10-15-2012, 12:17 AM

While I would rather beat UNC than other team, I would rather beat Frank Beamer than any other coach. It was a typical day for his goons -- er, players. One Duke QB sidelined for the game (Connette); starting Duke QB sidelined for a quarter. Close perhaps, but not as bad as the day at Wallace Wade when those guys had four roughing the QB penalties before they finally administered a game-ending concussion to Thad Lewis, our only experienced QB.

sagegrouse
I for one saw absolutely nothing in either hit to complain about. In fact, I'm still wondering exactly how Connette got hurt. I admit Renfree got his bell rung, but he was in the process of going down and the guy that hit him was already in the process of going low on him -- it just looked like an unfortunate but fair hit to me. People are starting to go way overboard on quarterback protection, expecting approaching tacklers to stop on a dime; I don't think there was any way for this guy to reasonably pull up once he committed.