PDA

View Full Version : Monroe-McRoberts Comparison: Good or Bad for us

Battery
08-08-2007, 05:28 PM
The article linked below compares Monroe to McBob. It almost feels like it was written to hinder our chances of landing him. Wanted to know what people's opinions are....

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=269208

mapei
08-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Favorable to Monroe: a bit more athletic.

Favorable to McRoberts: he actually attended and played for Duke University. GM seemed like a Duke lean a year ago but has seemed much less so ever since.

Pepsi114
08-08-2007, 05:54 PM
For what it's worth, the article does say it seems to be a two-team race between Duke and LSU. Still, the fact that he is less of a Duke lean now and also that he wants to take his time making a decision (can someone confirm this? Is this another Lance or PP situation?) are probably significant reasons why we are getting involved with Czyz.

Battery
08-08-2007, 06:11 PM
hmmm.i thought were going after olek because he had a 'zyz' in his name. kidding.

theasem
08-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Is this another Lance or PP situation?

Who's PP?

Despite the comparisons, Greg Monroe looks better to me in most facets than McRoberts. If he puts on some weight and improves his somewhat lacking low-post game, he should be in much better position than McRoberts ever was to be "the man" in the middle for Duke.

kydevil
08-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Who's PP?

Despite the comparisons, Greg Monroe looks better to me in most facets than McRoberts. If he puts on some weight and improves his somewhat lacking low-post game, he should be in much better position than McRoberts ever was to be "the man" in the middle for Duke.

If you are being serious about who PP is---

He is an incoming freshman at the University of Kentucky, a 6-8 forward held out on his commitment extremely long. Duke wanted him badly.

mapei
08-08-2007, 10:33 PM
For what it's worth, the Georgetown fan base is absolutely convinced they are getting Monroe. They are a bit concerned about LSU, but they read the tea leaves as having come on very strong in the last 6 months or so. They are doing the same thing this board is doing, projecting Monroe on the team and talking about what the impact will be.

SilkyJ
08-09-2007, 03:14 AM
Who's PP?
If he puts on some weight and improves his somewhat lacking low-post game, he should be in much better position than McRoberts ever was to be "the man" in the middle for Duke.

he'll need to put on more than SOME weight. At 195, he basically weighs as much as JJ! To play the 5 at 6'9 at the level Duke plays (like booz and sheld, and Elton, although he was 6'8") you need to be at LEAST 230, and preferably more like 240-250

Bob Green
08-09-2007, 06:47 AM
The article linked below compares Monroe to McBob. It almost feels like it was written to hinder our chances of landing him. Wanted to know what people's opinions are....

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=269208

My opinion is a bit dated as I haven't actually lived in Fayetteville for over 30 years, but I was born and raised there and the Fayetteville Observer, in my youth, was always pro-Carolina and anti-Duke. So, I advise you take the Observer with a grain of salt.

Now, over the past six weeks, I've sent a couple of emails to the Fayetteville Observer requesting they focus more effort on covering Duke and I received extremely courteous and professional replies.

Maybe this article was my fault...

Patrick Yates
08-09-2007, 12:14 PM
he'll need to put on more than SOME weight. At 195, he basically weighs as much as JJ! To play the 5 at 6'9 at the level Duke plays (like booz and sheld, and Elton, although he was 6'8") you need to be at LEAST 230, and preferably more like 240-250

The 6-9 195 is an old measurement. Apparantly he is up to 6-10 225-230 lb range now, so his size isn't a problem.

I do not think anyone knows what this kid is going to do. Duke, LSU, G-Town, and Kansas are all convinced he is all but signed, sealed, and delivered.

I have expounded on GM's recruitment many times in the past. I think he will definitely be a Lance or PP type situation. He will wait until the very end of the year, probably after even the NBA declaration deadline has passed, and then he will decide. He is going to choose an ideal situation for himself, whatever he deems that ideal situation to be. Probably, it means a quality team that desparately needs a post player. And not in a "already has a decent post rotation but needs a stud to win the NC" type of need. I mean, "oh my god the entire front line either left or completely sux next year" type of situation.

IMHO this means that he will not want to be worse than the No 2 option, with a chance to be No1 by March. For Duke, as I have stated, if Henderson and Singler are as good as advertised (on the rational end of speculation), AND they are returning, Duke could be in a tight spot. Unless LT and BZ prove to be largely hapless (which I highly doubt), then GM might not end up at Duke. Under the above situation, GH and KS would almost certainly be options 1 and 2 (pick the order yourself) and Paulus will be getting shots as a Senior as well, with Scheyer, King, and and the other players not exactly being shy to shoot. For a kid who is probably looking at 1 and done, that situation is not conductive to putting up big numbers.

Yes, yes, Carmelo won a NC at Syracuse. Well, up until the NCAA tourney, they were not considered a favorite to win, so I do not think GM will be looking at a team that will be a NC favorite with him per se. Carmelo was the star of his team, a team that happened to win the NC. The NC was no doubt super nice for Carmelo, but being a star player on a good team was the key to his draft buzz. The NC was icing on the cake. Nice, but not necessary.

We were probably never a lean for GM. He said that Duke was his dream school like a year or more ago. That is true for many kids, some of whom get in to Duke but do not come here because it is not an ideal situation for one reason or another. It is one thing to have a dream school as a player likely to get a college scholarship. But GM's thinking had to change when it became apparant that his stay in college would be mandatory, and that the NBA would be waiting as soon as he chose to enter the league. If you do not seriously want a Duke degree, and you know that you are a likely lottery pick whenever, well, Duke is a hard row to hoe academcically, if your heart is not truly in it. Yes, we got other studs to come to Duke. But, for many of them, they merely had the high liklihood of an NBA career, not a lottery certainty like GM. Henderson and Singler are almost locks to be in the league, but each has to shore up their games to be lottery choices, same for virtually any player that has entered Duke in the last 10 years, save (maybe) Deng (even J-Will and Maggette were not locks to be lottery choices out of HS. McBob may think he was, but that back would have scared off teams, big time).

So lets sit back and enjoy the recruiting war and hope like heck we get Riek (if he is in this class, there is something not right about that situation) and Czyz for help in the post next year. GM would be nice, but too many schools are convinced they have a kid who may not decide on a school until late may for me to be secure in the recruitment.

Patrick Yates

ACCBBallFan
08-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Rivals has Greg Monroe at 6’ 10” 226

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1617

and Scout has him at 6’9” 195

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&pid=88&yr=2008

So it must have been a 30-pound inch.

So much depends on how Duke adjusts this year to only having one true center and how much ZoubLance-McClure-Kingsnoggle progress in gimmick lineups.

If they exceed expectations, then Monroe could slide into the Nelson slot and Duke would always have two on and one off among (Henderson-Singler-Monroe) in 2008, instead of (Nelson-Henderson-Singler) in 2007.

If Riek is 2008 and opts fo rDuke, just more compettiion for the center by committee, except perhaps King or McClure or Lance join the wing trio and Henderson plays more two as he is projected to do in NBA.

But if Monroe is truly a one and done, not just best of a relatively weak 2008 class, he will have no PT concerns wherever he chooses to attend the mandatory year.

Other than getting the paparazzi off their back, there is no incentive for kids to commit as early as most message board members wish they would.

He may however have the desire to play more 4 and less 5, or at least not exclusively 5.

Depending on how the center by committee fares, and also what happens with John Riek, may help or hurt that desire.

But if Duke only loses Nelson and adds a few in 2008, you ain't seen nothing yet with respect to challenge of doling out PT.

SilkyJ
08-09-2007, 09:06 PM
The 6-9 195 is an old measurement. Apparantly he is up to 6-10 225-230 lb range now, so his size isn't a problem.

How do you know that?

Rivals has Greg Monroe at 6’ 10” 226

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1617

and Scout has him at 6’9” 195

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&pid=88&yr=2008

So it must have been a 30-pound inch.

So much depends on how Duke adjusts this year to only having one true center and how much ZoubLance-McClure-Kingsnoggle progress in gimmick lineups.

I see you have a source. But how do we know which one to believe. Maybe someone who has seen him recently can comment (read: wiggity-watzone)

Battery
08-10-2007, 06:03 PM
gimme some old school bangers. like boozer, shelden.