PDA

View Full Version : anyone want to take a stab at the acc preseason basketball standings?

TheDuke11
08-08-2007, 01:59 PM
i'm thinking this:
1: unc
2: ncsu
3: Duke
4: clemson
5: wfu
6: myld
7: ga tech
8: fsu
9: uva
10: bc
11: va tech
12: miami

mgtr
08-08-2007, 02:17 PM
I'll play.

1. UNC
2. Duke
3. Clemson
4. NCSU
5. MD
6. UVa
7. BC
8. VT
9. WF
10. GT
11. FSU
12. Miami

Jarhead
08-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Let's go with:

1. BC
2. Clemson
3. Duke
4. FSU
5. GT
6. MD
7. Miami
8. NCSU
9. UNC
10. UVa
11. VT
12. WF

Notice? It's in alpha order. That's as well as I can do now. Besides, that's the way it will appear in the papers at the beginning. Actually, though, either of the first two posts have some merit.

Olympic Fan
08-08-2007, 03:34 PM
It's going to be a wide open race and you can make a case for a lot of teams in a lot of positions. If I had to guess, I'd feel comfortable with the following:

1 -- North Carolina almost has to be picked No. 1 on paper. It's not that they're overpowering -- they lost their two starting forwards off a team that only tried for the regular season title last year and didn't add any significant player. Still, they return Hansbrough in the post and their backcourt of Lawson and Ellington ought to be better as sophs. Plus they get a healthy Bobby Fraser back after he was hobbled all season and have guys like Thompson, Ginyard, Stepheson and Green who can all play. They're beatable, but they start the year with the target as the preseason favorite.

2 -- The second tier of Duke, Clemson, N.C. State ... you can make a case for any of these three for second, third, fourth. They all have some strengths, but they also have weaknesses. For instance, NC State returns four starters off a team that finished very strong and added a prep All-American big man. But State wasn't very good last year when Atsur didn't play and now he's gone. They've got three PG candidates, but none is a lock to do the job. Clemson loose Hamilton off a middle-of-the-road team, but they have a lot of depth back and they've gotten better every year under Purnell. Duke ... well, you guys know the pluses and minuses there.

3 -- I see a middle echelon of Georgia Tech, Maryland, Virginia and Florida State. I'd have Ga Tech a notch higher -- in fact, the clearcut No. 2 team in the league if Crittendon had returned. They are strong in the post and on the wings. Virginia has the best point guard in the league, but it looks like he's going to have to carry an even bigger scoring load.

4 -- My lower echelon has Wake, Va Tech, BC and Miami. I would have had Va Tech a notch higher, but the transfer of Munson -- the guy they were grooming as point guard -- is devastating.

The other thing you'd better check before getting too specific about your predictions is the schedule. A year ago, Virginia had by far the easiest ACC schedule and it made all the difference in their finish. I haven't studied this year's yet, but a friend told me that Georgia Tech had the easiest ACC schedule (and that Duke's in-league slate went from one of the toughest to a far easier one).

Duke79UNLV77
08-08-2007, 03:57 PM
1: [Intentionally left blank]
2: Duke
3: NC State
4: Klampsun
5: Garyland wfu
6: Ga. Tech
7: U.Va.
8: FSU
9: BC
10: Wake
11: Va. tech
12: Miami

TheDuke11
08-08-2007, 05:20 PM
i think wake is going to surprise some people this year. I really like their little pg and they have some athletes in their backcourt. They arent big though, but who is other than the tarheels.

Classof06
08-08-2007, 06:02 PM
1. UNC
2. Duke
3. NC State (Might actually be 2nd, but i'll give us the benefit of the doubt)
4. - 12. The Rest

I wouldn't call it a "down" year, but the league will be very young this year.

ACCBBallFan
08-08-2007, 09:17 PM
It's going to be a wide open race and you can make a case for a lot of teams in a lot of positions. If I had to guess, I'd feel comfortable with the following:

1 -- North Carolina almost has to be picked No. 1 on paper. It's not that they're overpowering -- they lost their two starting forwards off a team that only tried for the regular season title last year and didn't add any significant player. Still, they return Hansbrough in the post and their backcourt of Lawson and Ellington ought to be better as sophs. Plus they get a healthy Bobby Fraser back after he was hobbled all season and have guys like Thompson, Ginyard, Stepheson and Green who can all play. They're beatable, but they start the year with the target as the preseason favorite.

2 -- The second tier of Duke, Clemson, N.C. State ... you can make a case for any of these three for second, third, fourth. They all have some strengths, but they also have weaknesses. For instance, NC State returns four starters off a team that finished very strong and added a prep All-American big man. But State wasn't very good last year when Atsur didn't play and now he's gone. They've got three PG candidates, but none is a lock to do the job. Clemson loose Hamilton off a middle-of-the-road team, but they have a lot of depth back and they've gotten better every year under Purnell. Duke ... well, you guys know the pluses and minuses there.

3 -- I see a middle echelon of Georgia Tech, Maryland, Virginia and Florida State. I'd have Ga Tech a notch higher -- in fact, the clearcut No. 2 team in the league if Crittendon had returned. They are strong in the post and on the wings. Virginia has the best point guard in the league, but it looks like he's going to have to carry an even bigger scoring load.

4 -- My lower echelon has Wake, Va Tech, BC and Miami. I would have had Va Tech a notch higher, but the transfer of Munson -- the guy they were grooming as point guard -- is devastating.

The other thing you'd better check before getting too specific about your predictions is the schedule. A year ago, Virginia had by far the easiest ACC schedule and it made all the difference in their finish. I haven't studied this year's yet, but a friend told me that Georgia Tech had the easiest ACC schedule (and that Duke's in-league slate went from one of the toughest to a far easier one).
I pretty much agree with these tiers. MD and GA Tech are artificially higher than I would have thought due to their very favorable ACC unbaanced schedule a la UVA last year.

1. UNC (14-2) two wins and 2 losses @ NCS, @ GT @ CL and @ DU

2T. Duke (10-6) losses @ UNC, @ NCS, @MD, @UVA plus a couple more due to youth, weakness in post, possible UNC Sweep, MD or upset @ VA Tech or @ FSU which has happened in past few years.

2T. GA T (10-6) losses @ CL, @ UVA, @BC, @ DU, @ NCS (relatively favorable unbalanced ACC schedule) plus one more loss due to PG problem, history of losing close games and losing on road.

2T. NCS (10-6) losses @UNC, @ CL, @ DU, @ BC, @ MD, @ UVA plus maybe more due to PG

2T. Clemson (10-6) losses @ GA T, @ UNC, @NCS, @ DU,@ MD, @ UVA, but no history of winning in ACC after cupcake OOC.

6. MD (8-8) road losses @DU, @ UVA, @ BC, @ GA T, @ UNC, @UM, @ WF, @ VA T, but Gary sometimes over achieves vis a vis his team’s talent, particularly vs. Duke, but not against Clemson.

7. UVA (7-9) road losses @ VA T, @ MD, @ BC, @DU, @ GA T, @FSU, @ UM, @ WF plus at home vs. UNC but Singletary may single handedly win one of these.

8T. BC (6-10) losses @ MD, UNC (2), @UVA, @ CL, @ DU, @ UM, @ VA Tech, @ FSU plus one more since Rice is always double teamed, with no one to pass to for an assist.

8T. VA T (6-10) @UVA, @BC, GA T(2), @ MD, @ WF, @ CL, @ UNC, @ NCS, home vs. DU

10T. WF (5-11) losses GA T(2), NCS (2), @ FSU, @MD, @ VA T, vs. DU, @ BC, @ CL, @ UNC

10T. FSU (5-11) losses ) @UM, CL(2), UNC(2), NCS(2), @ WF, vs. DU, @ GA T, @MD, @UVA with one upset

10T. Miami (5-11) losses @BC, @ FSU, CL(2), DU (2), GA T(2), vs. UNC, @NCS, @ VA T, @ WF with one upset

gep
08-09-2007, 01:57 AM
1. Duke

2 to 11. (anyone but UNC)

12. UNC

After all, *anything* can happen. Patrick Davidson vs Chris Paul, anyone?

(I *am* sorry if I hijacked a well-meaning thread... I am just a Duke fan and always a pure optimist)

just_wondering
08-09-2007, 06:05 AM
[QUOTE=ACCBBallFan;35592]I pretty much agree with these tiers. MD and GA Tech are artificially higher than I would have thought due to their very favorable ACC unbaanced schedule a la UVA last year.

1. UNC (14-2) two wins and 2 losses @ NCS, @ GT @ CL and @ DU

2T. Duke (10-6) losses @ UNC, @ NCS, @MD, @UVA plus a couple more due to youth, weakness in post, possible UNC Sweep, MD or upset @ VA Tech or @ FSU which has happened in past few years.

2T. GA T (10-6) losses @ CL, @ UVA, @BC, @ DU, @ NCS (relatively favorable unbalanced ACC schedule) plus one more loss due to PG problem, history of losing close games and losing on road.

2T. NCS (10-6) losses @UNC, @ CL, @ DU, @ BC, @ MD, @ UVA plus maybe more due to PG

2T. Clemson (10-6) losses @ GA T, @ UNC, @NCS, @ DU,@ MD, @ UVA, but no history of winning in ACC after cupcake OOC.

6. MD (8-8) road losses @DU, @ UVA, @ BC, @ GA T, @ UNC, @UM, @ WF, @ VA T, but Gary sometimes over achieves vis a vis his team’s talent, particularly vs. Duke, but not against Clemson.

7. UVA (7-9) road losses @ VA T, @ MD, @ BC, @DU, @ GA T, @FSU, @ UM, @ WF plus at home vs. UNC but Singletary may single handedly win one of these.

8T. BC (6-10) losses @ MD, UNC (2), @UVA, @ CL, @ DU, @ UM, @ VA Tech, @ FSU plus one more since Rice is always double teamed, with no one to pass to for an assist.

8T. VA T (6-10) @UVA, @BC, GA T(2), @ MD, @ WF, @ CL, @ UNC, @ NCS, home vs. DU

10T. WF (5-11) losses GA T(2), NCS (2), @ FSU, @MD, @ VA T, vs. DU, @ BC, @ CL, @ UNC

10T. FSU (5-11) losses ) @UM, CL(2), UNC(2), NCS(2), @ WF, vs. DU, @ GA T, @MD, @UVA with one upset

10T. Miami (5-11) losses @BC, @ FSU, CL(2), DU (2), GA T(2), vs. UNC, @NCS, @ VA T, @ WF with one upset[/QUOTE

Rule of Thumb -- since Gary got to College Park if the Terps are not seriously overmatched by another ACC in talent team than they win. For some reason the last class was unable to follow in the Terp tradition and let UVA and Clemson off the hook. But Maryland had dominated both series before the slip up. Other than UNC the Terps are better or almost as good as every other team in the ACC. I expect 10-12 wins from this team

ACCBBallFan
08-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Rule of Thumb -- since Gary got to College Park if the Terps are not seriously overmatched by another ACC in talent team than they win. For some reason the last class was unable to follow in the Terp tradition and let UVA and Clemson off the hook. But Maryland had dominated both series before the slip up. Other than UNC the Terps are better or almost as good as every other team in the ACC. I expect 10-12 wins from this team

You must be crystal balling a lot from Milbourne and the MD Freshmen.

Gist, Vasquez, Hayes, and maybe Osby are no match in talent to NCS, Clemson, GA Tech or Duke returnees:

Costner, McCauley, Grant, Fells and Hickson a top rated recruit, but alas no proven PG.

Mays, Booker, Rivers, Hammonds

Dickey, Jeremis Smith, Morrow, Clinch, Aminu the younger, Peacok, Faye, and a top recruit in Lawal, but again no proven PG.

Paulus, Scheyer, Nelson, Henderson, McClure, Lance, Zoubek, Pocius and top recruits in Singler, Nolan SMith and Taylor King.

As I mentioned, GA Tech has the easiest and MD by far the second easiest unbalanced ACC schedule relative to the other 10 ACC teams, an advantage UVA capitalized on last year.

But no way MD only loses 4-6 ACC Games this year. Terps only went 10-6 last year and they lost a lot of experience and talent in Strawberry, Mike Jones, Ibekwe, their 7 foot backup Bowers and seldom used Parrish Brown.

whereinthehellami
08-09-2007, 09:02 AM
i think wake is going to surprise some people this year. I really like their little pg and they have some athletes in their backcourt. They arent big though, but who is other than the tarheels.

I don't see it. They lose Visser, the only player on their team to average over 10 PPG (17 PPG). Visser was also the leading rebounder (7.4 RPG), no one else averaged over 5 RPG.

WFU also lost Drum, their 3rd leading scorer (8.5 PPG) and best shooter (48% from 3 and 85% FT). No one else shot over 40% from 3 or over 80% from the FT.

Their PG Smith is at best an okay shooter (43 % FG, 35% from 3, & 46% FT) and he wasn't that good with the ball (186 A to 112 TO). Although he will be a year older, he doesn't have Visser underneath anymore, WFU's best player by far last year.

As you said they have some returning athletes but none that are All-ACC caliber, Visser was it. Sure one or two could step up but it would have to be a major step to bump WFU out of the cellar.

WFU has some decent freshman coming in with Johnson (6-8) having the best shot at being a major factor but he will be a freshman and if he is decent, other teams will be able to double team if need be. I think WFU is at least a year away from being able to suprise anyone in the ACC.

If I'm WFU, I'm happy that BC is fielding a team this year, though I'm not sure Skinner actually wants to field a team this year.

riverside6
08-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Wake Forest will need to see great play from a group of talented rising sophomores, and in particular Ish Smith, who I'm a big fan of.

That guy, probably moreso than any other ACC point guard, can create easy baskets with his ability to penetrate. If Gaudio can instill a defensive attitude to this team, they could win 6 games, but like you, I certainly don't see any more than that.

riverside6
08-09-2007, 09:31 AM
just_wondering, I just don't see Maryland being a force this season. I'm not sure why either, although while Gist took a big step forward last season, I just don't see the big-time player that will take them to the 10 win plateau.

I certainly like Vasquez, and Hayes, to a lesser extent, but I'm not sure they are ready to control the tempo of a game. Also, the Terps were far too inconsistent in putting the ball in the basket last season, and after losing all the seniors, its hard to see a big jump in that area as they get younger.

riverside6
08-09-2007, 09:37 AM
I'll guess I should take my stab at the standings, since everyone else is, although I'm not going to go as far as to put the records down...

1. UNC
2. Duke
3. Virginia
4. Clemson
5. NC State
6. Georgia Tech
7. Florida State
8. Maryland
9. Wake Forest
10. Boston College
11. Miami
12. Virginia Tech

It is so incredibly hard to do this sort of thing without seeing most of the lower ranked incoming freshmen. I'm ready to fast-forward to November though and get the season rolling!

just_wondering
08-09-2007, 10:30 AM
just_wondering, I just don't see Maryland being a force this season. I'm not sure why either, although while Gist took a big step forward last season, I just don't see the big-time player that will take them to the 10 win plateau.

I certainly like Vasquez, and Hayes, to a lesser extent, but I'm not sure they are ready to control the tempo of a game. Also, the Terps were far too inconsistent in putting the ball in the basket last season, and after losing all the seniors, its hard to see a big jump in that area as they get younger.

Last year Maryland played well the first third of the season, horribly the middle third and then they played well again the last third. It was after the disastrous middle third that the leadership of the team passed to Gist-Vasquez-Hayes. They tired as the regular season ended but even in the two losses they had lost the deer in headlights look that had become too familiar since the graduation of the underappreciated Steve Blake.

The selection of Gist to the Pan Am demonstrates that he has stepped up as does the selection of Vasquez to the Venezuela national team. Milbourne was selected to the East Coast All Stars team touring Europe which indicates to me that he is starter material.
I think Cliff Tucker gives them the second most competitive roster in the ACC.

riverside6
08-09-2007, 10:37 AM
I've always heard good things about Milbourne, but his inability to crack the rotation last season concerned me. Although, if I recall, he had a very nice dunk in the final minutes of a game last season.

You certainly make good points about the freshmen guards wearing down, so perhaps that is what happened.

just_wondering
08-09-2007, 10:56 AM
I've always heard good things about Milbourne, but his inability to crack the rotation last season concerned me. Although, if I recall, he had a very nice dunk in the final minutes of a game last season.

You certainly make good points about the freshmen guards wearing down, so perhaps that is what happened.

I hear the complaints that this will be a down year for the ACC but I think that this will be a great year for the ACC. I am only a slightly delusional home-team biased fan in projecting the Terps to win 12 games. I think that the fans of 8 schools can believe that their team will finish first,second or third in the regular season without being labeled completely crazy.
My own opinion about the preseason projections is that in general Maryland is underrated and that NC State is overrated

riverside6
08-09-2007, 11:17 AM
I think you're right about NC State. The assumption being made is that NC State at the end of the season is the team that will make an impact next season. Of course, people fail to recall the reason NC State played well was because Engin Atsur (http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/tt_player_page.asp?reporttype=Details&total=yes&hleague=0&howner=all&hplayer=78&pp=yes&season=2007) returned to action. Unless Atsur can get an 8th year of eligibility (he was there at least 7 years, right?), they will face the same problems again.

ACCBBallFan
08-09-2007, 11:25 AM

Upon further inspection, I can see how MD may win @ BC, @UM, @ WF, @ VA T. So if Terps could sweep at home with toughest games Duke, NCS and Clemson, that would get them to 12-4.

I would be willing to put them in the 10-6 category, give or take 1, along with Clemson, Duke, GA Tech and NC St, and in the hunt for second in ACC.

Of course NC ST and GA Tech would not concede the loss @ BC either.

Does not change my opinion ACC gets 6 and MD is one of them, unless UVA can win on the road which has historically been a problem for Vrginia.

The same four road games @ VA T, @ BC, @ UM, @ WF could be winnable and UVA could also be in the hunt for that 7th ACC slot.

That would assume 7 very decent records and five in the 4-12 range or worse for BC, VA Tech, FSU, Miami and Wake.

So under the best case scenario for making ACC tournament, all the top half ACC teams win all their home games except UVA loses @ UNC.

1T. UNC (12-4) losses @ NCS, @ GT @ CL and @ DU

1T. Duke (12-4) losses @ UNC, @ NCS, @MD, @UVA

1T. GA T (12-4) losses @ CL, @ UVA, @ DU, @ NCS (relatively favorable unbalanced ACC schedule) .

1T. MD (12-4) losses @DU, @ UVA, @ GA T, @ UNC (relatively favorable unbalanced ACC schedule) .

5T. NCS (11-5) losses @UNC, @ CL, @ DU, @ MD, @ UVA

5T UVA (11-5) road losses @ MD, @DU, @ GA T, plus at home vs. UNC

7. Clemson (10-6) losses @ GA T, @ UNC, @NCS, @ DU,@ MD, @ UVA.

8T. VA T (4-12) UVA(2), @BC, GA T(2), MD(2), @ WF, @ CL, @ UNC, @ NCS, home vs. DU.

8T. FSU (4-12) losses @UM, CL(2), UNC(2), NCS(2), @ WF, vs. DU, @ GA T, @MD, home vs UVA,

10T. BC (3-13) losses MD(2), UNC (2), VA(2), @ CL, @ DU, @ UM, @ VA Tech, @ FSU plus home vs. GA T, NCS

10T. WF (3-13) losses GA T(2), NCS (2), @ FSU, MD,(2) @ VA T, vs. DU, @ BC, @ CL, @ UNC and home vs UVA

12. Miami (2-14) losses @BC, @ FSU, CL(2), DU (2), GA T(2), vs. UNC, vs MD, vs. UVA, @NCS, @ VA T, @ WF

I think my original projections are more likely but MD may do better than 8-8, and UVA may be 8-8 or slightly better, and if so, 7 ACC teams make the dance.

mcdukie
08-09-2007, 02:22 PM
You say that MD doesn't have the one "elite" type of player to carry them. Having said that, I see the same problem for us. We have some good players but who is the "star"?

riverside6
08-09-2007, 02:32 PM
You say that MD doesn't have the one "elite" type of player to carry them. Having said that, I see the same problem for us. We have some good players but who is the "star"?
That's a good point, but I feel like Duke has more than one guy that could be that player. I know I'll get flamed for saying this but I certainly think Paulus can be that kind of player, while Nelson, Henderson and Scheyer have shown the ability to be that type of player at points in their career already.

Also, throw in a guy like Singler who comes in with a reputation to quietly dominate a game and I think it is a role that will be passed around from game-to-game.

This should, in theory, allow Duke more consistency since a number of different players can step up.

TheDuke11
08-09-2007, 03:38 PM
i think we're going to be REALLY good. I'm pretty stoked to see what a healthy Paulus can do. If we can get Pocius some serious burn and we actually start pushing the ball up, I think we can do some serious damage.

Sleeper freshman of the year: Nolan Smith.
He's going to be special.

Classof06
08-09-2007, 03:46 PM
i think we're going to be REALLY good. I'm pretty stoked to see what a healthy Paulus can do. If we can get Pocius some serious burn and we actually start pushing the ball up, I think we can do some serious damage.

Sleeper freshman of the year: Nolan Smith.
He's going to be special.

Again, people are starting to wind of ol Nolan, baby. He's gonna be good. But personally, I agree with TheDuke that we are going to be a lot better than people realize. Not saying we're gonna cut down the nets or anything, but I think most casual fans or fans not familiar with the program think we'll be pretty much the same as last year. While that is a possibility, I'm feeling better and better about us as the season gets closer. This time last year, Krzyzewski made a point of saying we'd be a work in progress. This summer, he has twice said that we have "the makings of a very good team." I'll trust what he says.

As far as the ACC goes, I think UNC, Duke and NC State (if they can get a PG), look noticeably superior to the rest of the league on paper. Obviously no games have been played yet, but when you see what MD, UVA and G Tech lost, I don't see how one can say they'll be in the top 3. No way. The NC schools (save Wake) just look to be a cut above the rest this year.

ACCBBallFan
08-09-2007, 06:57 PM
As far as the ACC goes, I think UNC, Duke and NC State (if they can get a PG), look noticeably superior to the rest of the league on paper. Obviously no games have been played yet, but when you see what MD, UVA and G Tech lost, I don't see how one can say they'll be in the top 3. No way. The NC schools (save Wake) just look to be a cut above the rest this year.
You have to look at who GA Tech and MD play twice versus how much stronger an ACC unbalanced schedule everybody else plays.

GA T - Clemson, UVA, WF, Maimi and VA Tech who is really down this yr, only one of top 6

MD - Duke, UVA, VA T, Wake and BC who is also really down this year, only one of top 6

contrast that to

Duke - UNC, NC S, MD, UVA and Miami, three of top 6
NCS - UNC, Duke, Clemson, FSU and Wake, three of top 6
UNC - Duke, NC S, Clemson, FSU, and BC, three of top 6

UVA does not have nearly the advantage UVA enjoyed and exploited last year Duke, GA T, MD, BC and VA T, three of top 6

Clemson - UNC, NCS, GA T, FSU and Miami, three of top 6.

So not counting who they play once at home versus once on road, GATech and MD have a two game advantage from the get go over the other top 7 teams.

Still have to win the game to take advantage of unbalanced schedule, but GA Tech and MD chances are much better, if their teams were as equal as the three teams from NC, and if not it bridges the gap.

just_wondering
08-09-2007, 08:39 PM
You have to look at who GA Tech and MD play twice versus how much stronger an ACC unbalanced schedule everybody else plays.

GA T - Clemson, UVA, WF, Maimi and VA Tech who is really down this yr, only one of top 6

MD - Duke, UVA, VA T, Wake and BC who is also really down this year, only one of top 6

contrast that to

Duke - UNC, NC S, MD, UVA and Miami, three of top 6
NCS - UNC, Duke, Clemson, FSU and Wake, three of top 6
UNC - Duke, NC S, Clemson, FSU, and BC, three of top 6

UVA does not have nearly the advantage UVA enjoyed and exploited last year Duke, GA T, MD, BC and VA T, three of top 6

Clemson - UNC, NCS, GA T, FSU and Miami, three of top 6.

So not counting who they play once at home versus once on road, GATech and MD have a two game advantage from the get go over the other top 7 teams.

Still have to win the game to take advantage of unbalanced schedule, but GA Tech and MD chances are much better, if their teams were as equal as the three teams from NC, and if not it bridges the gap.

There is always a chance that a team's schedule is either front loaded or back loaded with difficult games. Which teams can withstand a front loaded schedule? Which teams can come back from an 0-2 start?

I myself wonder if Maryland, NC State, Virginia, Clemson and Georgia Tech can deal with a front loaded schedule.

mgtr
08-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Well, as usual, you folks make some good points. I doubt very seriously that the ACC will get seven teams dancing, but I also believe that Duke will do much better than expected. If we can find a way to frustrate TH, we could certainly win the regular season and the ACC tournament.
As a matter of interest, what is the most number of teams that the ACC has had in the big dance?

ACCBBallFan
08-10-2007, 09:10 AM
There is always a chance that a team's schedule is either front loaded or back loaded with difficult games. Which teams can withstand a front loaded schedule? Which teams can come back from an 0-2 start?

I myself wonder if Maryland, NC State, Virginia, Clemson and Georgia Tech can deal with a front loaded schedule. Don't know the answer to your question but you make a good point.

Clemson got killed last year on back end loaded schedule. BC has always shown resiliency but if they lose a few this year at beginning, trend may contnue.

MD had a tough stretch last year and then won like 7 in a row before the ACC Tournament upset. Duke was on the ropes last year and then had three easy games in a row.

Battery
08-10-2007, 06:13 PM
1. Duke, Duke
2. Chapel Hill Community College
3. NC sTATE
4. New England Jesuit College
5. Virginia
6. Clemson
7. GA Tech
8. Va Tech
9. Twerps'
10. FSU
11. WAKE (unless the emotional aspect counts for something)
12. Universidad de Miami

gw67
08-11-2007, 09:24 AM
I agree with much of what Olympic Fan and ACCBBallFan have predicted:

1. UNC - only team without a weakness
2. Duke – lack of experience and depth in frontcourt but best perimeter and freshmen class in ACC
3. NC State – weakness at point but several solid, experienced players plus one of top freshmen
4. Clemson – loads of experience but poor road team and can’t shoot free throws
5. Georgia Tech – several top players return plus a top freshman; a wild card that could be very good if they find a PG and less if Hewitt can’t pull the team together
6-8. Maryland, Virginia and Florida State – each has a potential All ACC player but more unknowns/weaknesses than the teams in front of them
9-12 Wake Forest, VT, BC and Miami – of these teams, Wake and VT have a chance to reach the middle of the league if schedule is favorable and their young players develop

gw67

mapei
08-11-2007, 04:13 PM
As for Duke, I'm concerned about the loss of McRoberts. I know his reputation has taken a terrible fall on this board, but I just don't agree with the thinking that his departure is a non-factor or even a positive for the team. He had size and ability that other players just didn't have last year, and I think without him we would have been even worse than we were.

The positive scenario puts a lot on Henderson (who really had only 2 or 3 impact games last year, all losses) and the freshmen. I like what I've seen of the freshmen in highlight video and I'm eager to see them produce, but no one has seen them against ACC competition. I also think we can count on at least one "impact injury"; it's not realistic to expect everyone to be healthy all year. These guys will have to make us be not just as good as last year, but better, and without a significant starter from last year.

I guess this isn't really the right thread for this, but I'm reacting to all the high projections. I don't think anyone has Duke lower than second in the conference. I don't know the rest of the ACC very well so I'm no good at projections for everyone, but I think Duke could be anywhere from 7-9 to 12-4, most likely 9-7 or 10-6. If that's good enough for second place, it may say more about the ACC than it does about Duke.

mgtr
08-11-2007, 05:31 PM
I am more optimistic about our conference success this year than you are, but I absolutely agree with your views on McRoberts. He will definitely be missed. I don't know how K will work around that problem, but I am convinced that he can. We may just end up giving lots of fouls to big centers, but other teams have been successful doing that.