PDA

View Full Version : Quotable Movies

bird
03-05-2007, 11:40 AM
What are the top movies in terms of quotability -- not measured by a single strong line, but (a) sheer volume of quotable lines, (b) how much the movie is actually quoted?

Based on our household, I would say three top movies are:

- Wizard of Oz
- A League of Their Own
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Caddyshack and Animal House are up there, but not at the level of these three. Gone With the Wind boils down to two-three strong quotes, only one of which I hear used much.

Looking at this list, I think I might be showing my age. Although my 10-year-old son is a strong partisan of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and my daughter of A League of Their Own.

Any nominations?

Windsor
03-05-2007, 11:50 AM
In my house it would be:

Holy Grail
Blues Brothers
Princess Bride
Blazing Saddles

My daughter would add:
Not another teen movie
Bring it on
Napolean Dynamite

Loni

dball
03-05-2007, 12:51 PM
The Godfather (though there are 3 movies from which to choose)
Princess Bride
Office Space

NashvilleDevil
03-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Anchorman
Caddyshack
Fletch
Dazed and Confused
Old School
Wedding Crashers
Big Lebowski

billybreen
03-05-2007, 01:09 PM
In a few months I'll be able to add the Simpsons, and that is definitely the most quotable work of popular culture ever, for my money. Just based on volume of content it has a huge advantage.

Princess Bride is a good call, as is Office Space. Real Genius is a personal favorite that I probably quote more than any other movie. Your mom puts license plates in your underwear? How do you sit?

There I go again . . .

Highlander
03-05-2007, 01:37 PM
My favorite movie of all time to quote is Top Gun
"Negative Ghostrider. The pattern is full."
A close second is the obscure The Last Starfighter -

Alex:One gunstar against the whole armada?! It'll be a slaughter!
Grig: That's the Spirit!
Alex: No. MY Slaughter!!!
Pulp Fiction: is always popular, although I can't repeat most of the quotes here.
I'd second the Office Space references. My personal favorite is

BOB: I hear you've been missing a lot of work lately.
Peter: Well, I wouldn't say I've been MISSING it, Bob.

hurleyfor3
03-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Airplane 1 and 2

DukeUsul
03-05-2007, 02:00 PM
In our house the Princess Bride, Holy Grail, and Napoleon Dynamite are the most frequent. I'll echo Highlander, and there's always a good The Last Starfighter quote ready:

Alex: We live in a mobile home. It's like a cave, with wheels. You can go places. Except we never went anywhere.
Grig: Fascinating.

Ditto Office Space:

Bob #1: We're gonna be getting rid of these people. How about Sameer Naga...Naga... Not gonna work here anymore!

Another one that gets frequent mention is Coming to America, especially while watching basketball:

Yes! Yes! In the face!

riverside6
03-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Seasonal but...National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Highlander
03-05-2007, 02:15 PM
DukeUsul, there's always more to quote from TLS:

Grig: Don't worry. I'll have it all figured out by the time we reach the frontier.
<beeping sound>
Alex: What's that?
Grig: The Frontier
or another favorite...

Alex: Great. I'm about to get myself killed a million miles from nowhere, and a gung-ho iguana tells me to relax!

Bostondevil
03-05-2007, 02:18 PM
What, no one's mentioned Old School? We quote Old School a lot. My 13 year old son also quotes Anchorman and Star Wars. Actually the rest my sons quote Star Wars too. Even the 2 year old. It's very cute to hear a 2 year-old say "Dark Side of the Force" as he blasts you with forced lightning.

Also

Princess Bride
The Terminator
Caddyshack

We also talk about "Bound, bound, bound and rebound" (it's become a cheer while watching Duke) and "Jack-Jack attacks" so, what to call that, shorts related to The Incredibles.

DukeUsul
03-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Or:

Alex: Go to bed Louis, or I'm telling mom about your playboys!
Louis: What the...?!?!?
Beta Alex: I said go to bed Louis, or I'm telling mom about your playboys!

Hey Highlander, say Hi to your wife for me. Haven't chatted with her in a while :-) Hope you guys are well.

DevilAlumna
03-05-2007, 03:11 PM
We love Austin Powers in this house -- Yeah, baby, yeah! (www.shhh.com)

And my brother and I can act out just about every scene in:

National Lampoon's Vacation - "Don't know why they call it hamburger helper, tastes just fine by itself!";

European Vacation - "He's not gonna pork her, Russ";

and of course, the whole family favorite, A Christmas Story - "Randy lay there like a slug. It was his only defense."

rasputin
03-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Casablanca "Here's looking at you, kid" "Round up the usual suspects"
"We'll always have Paris" etc.

Gone With The Wind

Blazing Saddles

I think I'm showing my age too . . .

05dukie
03-05-2007, 03:19 PM
ditto to Princess Bride, Office Space, Holy Grail, Napoleon Dynamite The Godfather.

I'll add Raising Arizona

'When there was to meat we ate fowl and when there was no fowl we ate crawdads. And when there were no crawdads to be found, we ate sand'

'Baby's gotta get his Dip-Tet, HI'

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

so many choices

and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

'Strange things are afoot at the Circle K'

'And I am the Duke of Ted'

'San Dimas High School football rules!'

billybreen
03-05-2007, 03:36 PM
I quote that one all the time:

Q: Are these them balloons that blow up in funny shapes and all?
A: Well no, unless round is funny.

The Gordog
03-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Raising Arizona:

"My name is Nathan Arizona. Do it my way or watch your butt!"

"I want me a bay-be Hi!"

"I figured they had more than they could handle."

DukeUsul
03-05-2007, 04:04 PM
After attending the 2001 ACC Championship in Atlanta, I drove back to the Durham area with two buddies of mine. We made the best of the late trip back by quoting movies. The piece de la resistance being the line-by-line re-enactment of The Hunt for Red October. Complete with horrible renditions of Sean Connery's Scotish brogue. It took us a good hour and a half to do it. I think we even include bits of the orchestral score and sound effects for good measure.

Wow. Did I just admit that publicly?

Deslok
03-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Of course, your avatar reminds me that when I do get together with my brothers(which isn't very often these days since we've separated around the world), we'll go for quoting the very bad, and very badly delivered lines from the original Dune.

We call that one... Muad'ib. You are Paul... ... Maud'ib.

The sleeper must awaken. Arrakis. Dune. Desert planet. Why are we all whispering?

DukeUsul
03-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Yeah, Deslok, my little bro and I do the same thing. "And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!"

BTW, lest anyone think I have terrible taste in movies:
Dune the movie = terrible
Dune the sci-fi minseries = not terrible
Dune the books = totally awesome

The Gordog
03-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Casablanca by a mile:
In addition to the 3 gems already mentioned:

Renault: I am shocked, shocked, to discover there is gambling going on here.
Coupier: Your winnings, sir.

Rick [about Renault]: Oh, he's just like any other man, only more so.

Renault: I was informed you were the most beautiful woman ever to visit Casablanca. That was a gross understatement.

Rick: And remember, this gun is pointed right at your heart.
Renault: That is my least vulnerable spot.

Ilsa: Franc for your thoughts.
Rick: In America they'd bring only a penny, and, huh, I guess that's about all they're worth.
Ilsa: I'm willing to be overcharged.

Ilsa: Play it, Sam

Rick: You played it for her now you can play it for me.

Renault: What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?
Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.
Renault: The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.
Rick: I was misinformed.

Rick: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she had to walk into mine.

Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.

Rick: We'll always have Paris. We didn't have, we, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.

Rick: Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now, now... Here's looking at you kid.

elvis14
03-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Although there are many, for my wife and I, 3 movies come to mind as the most quoted:

Pulp Fiction
Bull Durham
Office Space

NashvilleDevil
03-05-2007, 05:11 PM
One of my favorite scenes ever:

"Stay away from the cans, he hates the cans"

bird
03-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Most frequent NEGATIVE quotation in my household:

"Anakin, you're breaking my heart!"

Padme, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

Carrie
03-05-2007, 05:38 PM
I like this game.

Like many others, I'll go with Princess Bride, Office Space, and Raising Arizona. I no longer frequently quote Wizard of Oz because it annoys my Kansas-native husband.

Also, I need to add my personal most-quoted movies, So I Married an Axe Murderer and Better Off Dead.

05dukie
03-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Ahhhh, Better Off Dead, so amazing!

My brother, sister and I like to get a crazy look in our eye and say "TWO DOLLARS!!"

"It's got raisins in it, you like raisins"

"French Lessons: Inspiring words from a man who knows how to ski"

Bostondevil
03-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Best in Show?

Harlan Pepper, you stop naming nuts.

Something familiar about that handler.

Or This is Spinal Tap?

05dukie
03-05-2007, 05:55 PM
"I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach and it's sort of in between those really, it's like a Moch piece really"

----

"wha' happened?"

Also Revenge of the Nerds

05dukie
03-05-2007, 06:11 PM
more negative quotes

Varsity Blues: 'I...don't want...your life'

Deep Blue Sea: 'As a side effect, the sharks got smarted'

Farlan
03-05-2007, 07:10 PM
"What we have here is failure to communicate" -- Cool Hand Luke.

"The Truth! The Truth! You can't handle the Truth!" -- A Few Good Men.

DevilAlumna
03-06-2007, 01:31 AM
This one can make anyone laugh mid-hug:

"Hold me like you did by the lake on Naboo."

Windsor
03-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Best in Show?

Harlan Pepper, you stop naming nuts.

Something familiar about that handler.

Or This is Spinal Tap?

I can't believe I forgot Best in Show...for those of us that show dogs this is not a comedy it is a documentary!

Windsor

willywoody
03-06-2007, 03:02 PM
raising arizona (actually quoted on 90210 several times)
lebowski (quoted several times on veronica mars this year)
caddyshack
super troopers
sure, casablanca has the most quoted lines ever along with gwtw.
pulp fiction
16 candles
apocolypse now
forrest gump

DukeUsul
03-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Whenever I think something's too easy, or simple I always whip out:

Scoop of chocolate, scoop of vanilla, don't waste my time.

Anyone name that film?

aimo
03-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Princess Bride: "Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work. But I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it. I'm swamped!"

Christmas Vacation: "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Kiss my ***, Kiss his ***, Kiss your ***, Happy Hannukkah!"

Airplane: Young Boy with Coffee: Excuse me, I happened to be passing, and I thought you might like some coffee.
Little Girl: Oh, that's very nice of you, thank you.
Young Boy with Coffee: Cream?
Little Girl: No, thank you, I take it black, like my men.

Mean Girls: "I don't hate you because you're fat. You're fat because I hate you."

and for the oldies, Cool Hand Luke: "I'm shakin' it boss, I'm shakin' it!" "What we got here is... failure to communicate."

elvis14
03-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Scoop of chocolate, scoop of vanilla, don't waste my time.
Anyone name that film?

LOL, City Slickers. I always whip out "The man ate bacon at every meal....you can't do that!"

I almost listed City Slickers on my list....should have my wife and I pull out an occasional quote like "keep the stallion in the corral" or "what did you use for protection? Paper or plastic?"

Elvis

Windsor
03-06-2007, 05:12 PM

Anyone name that film?

Great gobs of goose sh&t...
I believe that's from City Slickers

Windsor
"the more you over think the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain"

Bostondevil
03-06-2007, 06:01 PM
I have to put this under guilty pleasures but . . .

Cabin Boy.

"My pipes have been cleaned."

"I left a cabin boy, but I returned a cabin man."

"I haven't powdered my bottom since I was seventeen."

"Man, I hate them fancy lads."

Deslok
03-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Just to add a couple more in...

Young Frankenstein

What hump?
Give him a sedagive!
Abby something... abby normal.
You know, I'll never forget my old dad. When these things would happen to him... the things he'd say to me.
Are you speaking of the worm or the spaghetti?
Give him an extra dollar.

Caddyshack

Cinderella story, coming out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, about to become, the Masters champion.
Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch.
Oh, it looks good on you though.
And he says, "Oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Exiled_Devil
03-08-2007, 04:56 PM
My 1-month old has blue-blue eyes with the whites tinged blue I I understand now that this is typical). My mother in law looked at me odd when I started calling him the Kwisatz Haderach.

General movies:
Blues Brothers
Holy grail
Real Genius
Monty Python Live at the Hollywood bowl.
Mallrats (Kevin Smith's most underapreciated film)

All time household quote:
"Are you okay?"
"No. Not emotionally. It should have gone farther. Much farther, much faster"
and
"It's a moral imperative!"

ajtrublu
03-09-2007, 01:24 PM
RE: The Jerk

One of my favorite scenes ever:

"Stay away from the cans, he hates the cans"

My favorites from this movie:

Navin: I was born a poor black child.

and

Sniper: Die, you random son of a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.!

ajtrublu
03-09-2007, 01:53 PM
I love this one from Fried Green Tomatoes:
Sipsey: Oh it don't make no kind of sense. Big ol' ox like Grady won't sit next to a colored child. But he eats eggs- shoot right outta chicken's ***!

And we always use these (obvious ones) from Princess Bride:
Wesley: As you wish. and
Vizzini: INCONCEIVABLE! (with a nod to the follow up line)
Inigo: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
And then often, but for no good reason, one of us will bust out the:
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

One I love from Hoosiers:
Coach: Strap, God wants you on the floor.

Two awesome "Amen, Sister!" quotes from Bull Durham:
Annie: The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self-awareness. and
Annie: Honey, would you rather I were making love to him using your name, or making love to you using his name?

And, it's new, but few lines have been quoted as much in a concentrated period of time. From Brokeback Mountain:
Jack: I wish I knew how to quit you.

More quotables from Brokeback:
Ennis: There ain't no reins on this one. and
Jack: You know friend, this is a god damn I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. of an unsatisfactory situation.

This is probably a different thread, but I'll toss in WORST MOVIE LINE EVER:
Nobody puts Baby in a corner.

allenmurray
03-09-2007, 03:18 PM
LaLoosh: A good friend of mine used to say, "This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

LaLoosh: It feels out there. I mean, it's a major rush. I mean, it feels radical in kind of a tubular sort of way, but most of all, it feels out there.

Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: Ooh, I've heard of stuff like this.
Annie Savoy: Yeah? Have you heard of Walt Whitman?
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: No. Who's he play for?

[Larry jogs out to the mound to break up a players' conference]
Larry: Excuse me, but what the hell's going on out here?
Crash Davis: Well, Nuke's scared because his eyelids are jammed and his old man's here. We need a live... is it a live rooster?
[Jose nods]
Crash Davis: . We need a live rooster to take the curse off Jose's glove and nobody seems to know what to get Millie or Jimmy for their wedding present.
[to the players]
Crash Davis: Is that about right?
[the players nod]
Crash Davis: We're dealing with a lot of ****.
Larry: Okay, well, uh... candlesticks always make a nice gift, and uh, maybe you could find out where she's registered and maybe a place-setting or maybe a silverware pattern. Okay, let's get two! Go get 'em

Larry: Well if anyone would know you were pulling your hips out early it'd be Annie.

Annie Savoy: [narrating] Walt Whitman once said, "I see great things in baseball. It's our game, the American game. It will repair our losses and be a blessing to us." You could look it up.

Annie Savoy: [narrating] Baseball may be a religion full of magic, cosmic truth, and the fundamental ontological riddles of our time, but it's also a job.

Annie: The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self-awareness.

Annie Savoy: I believe in the Church of Baseball. I've tried all the major religions, and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms, and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I heard that, I gave Jesus a chance. But it just didn't work out between us. The Lord laid too much guilt on me. I prefer metaphysics to theology. You see, there's no guilt in baseball, and it's never boring... which makes it like sex. There's never been a ballplayer slept with me who didn't have the best year of his career. Making love is like hitting a baseball: you just gotta relax and concentrate. Besides, I'd never sleep with a player hitting under .250... not unless he had a lot of RBIs and was a great glove man up the middle. You see, there's a certain amount of life wisdom I give these boys. I can expand their minds. Sometimes when I've got a ballplayer alone, I'll just read Emily Dickinson or Walt Whitman to him, and the guys are so sweet, they always stay and listen. 'Course, a guy'll listen to anything if he thinks it's foreplay. I make them feel confident, and they make me feel safe, and pretty. 'Course, what I give them lasts a lifetime; what they give me lasts 142 games. Sometimes it seems like a bad trade. But bad trades are part of baseball - now who can forget Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas, for God's sake? It's a long season and you gotta trust. I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.

Larry: Sears sucks, Crash. Boy, I once worked there. Sold Lady Kenmores. Nasty, whoa, nasty.

Skip: You guys. You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!
Larry: Lollygaggers!
Skip: Lollygaggers.

DevilAlumna
03-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Love this movie. Love it. You left out my dad's favorite quote, tho:

"Man that ball got outta here in a hurry. I mean anything travels that far oughta have a damn stewardess on it, don't you think?"

IMDB Quote Page (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0094812/quotes)

CMS2478
03-14-2007, 01:57 PM
In my house we quote Dumb and Dumber a lot.

Also, any Adam Sandler movie.

DevilAlumna
03-15-2007, 10:57 PM
A headline on the main board reminded me of a favorite:

Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.