PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Non-Duke ACC Basketball Player

Dukehky
09-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Since we're kind of in that dead spot right before the basketball season and recruits aren't really deciding right now, I thought it'd be fun to talk a little bit of ACC Basketball history.

Who is your favorite non-Duke ACC basketball player?

I always had a real soft spot for Sean Singletary from UVA. Even though he hit that buzzer beater at Virginia a few years ago, I wasn't as upset as I normally would have been because it was Singletary that hit it. He's probably my favorite non-Dukie.

slower
09-30-2012, 11:11 PM
The late, great Len Bias.

uh_no
09-30-2012, 11:12 PM
greivous vasquez...hands down

he had so much fun with the crazies it was impossible not to love him....

House G
09-30-2012, 11:14 PM
David Thompson.

Ultrarunner
09-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Agreed on Len Bias, such a tragedy.

Second on my list would be Rusty LaRue. Not the most talented player ever to come out of the ACC but was a major over-achiever in multiple sports, an excellent student (carried a high GPA in Computer Science), married and a parent while in school, all-round good guy. Just really liked the man.

Edouble
09-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Antawn Jamison-- played with heart, passion, and zero UNC bravado on a team that was full of it. Sort of the most amazing offensive one-trick pony ever. He's basically just lightening quick. Very frustrating to watch him score 25 on your team. Seems like you should be able to stop him, but you can't.

Randolph Childress-- mainly just for that '95 ACC tournament. Pretty much one of the most amazing performances I have ever seen in ACC Hoops.

Kenny Anderson-- absolutely sick skills. Just sick. One of the best college point guards ever.

Juan Dixon-- hard not to root for the guy. He replaced Steve Francis (what's to like about the guy?) and played harder, better, and with more class. A really deserving champion.

Charlie Ward-- just loved his multi-sport abilities. Took FSU to the Elite 8 in '93, won a Heisman, and is still good enough to play for the Knicks. Wow!

Julius Hodge-- just 'cause he's Julius Hodge.

Native
09-30-2012, 11:42 PM
I always had respect for Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington. Danny Green and Hansblah, however, are other stories entirely.

elvis14
09-30-2012, 11:48 PM
It's hard to pick just one

Ralph Sampson (I was living in Va Beach when he was a at UVa)
Bryant Stith (tough competitor)
Len Bias (amazing, shame)
Mark Price (he could really shoot)
Kenny Anderson (so much fun to watch)
Dennis Scott (he could hit it anywhere you could put a dollar)
John Salley
Chris Corchiani (I like the fire)
Tom Gugliotta (got better every year)
Julius Hodge (played hard)
Spud Webb (a guy I could look in the eye)
Trevor Booker (I'm a Clemson alum, had to pick at least 1 Tiger)
Horace Grant (nice specs)
Bobby Sura (fun to watch)
Sam Cassell (coined the whine and cheese phrase)
Greivous Vasquez
Tim Duncan (the big fundamental)
Randolf Childress
Chris Paul (nut punching punk could just ball - pun intended)
Rodney Rogers (man amongst boys)
Mugsy Bogues (anyone that can shorter than me and that good...wow)

I could go on but I'll stop there. If I had to pick one, it would probably be Ralph Sampson just because he was so good at a time when I was really starting to get into college basketball. 9F

Greg_Newton
09-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Randolph Childress-- mainly just for that '95 ACC tournament. Pretty much one of the most amazing performances I have ever seen in ACC Hoops.

Gotta love it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJMsoIptQo

Kedsy
10-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Dennis Scott. I remember during a pre-game warmup once, he had a three-point shooting contest with a fan, for a twinkie. I liked him even before that, but once I saw that, he was my fave.

I also had a couple amusing run-ins with Chuck Nevitt, who had a pretty good sense of humor for a stick-thin, 7'5" guy, so he's my runner up.

throatybeard
10-01-2012, 01:01 AM
Definitely Randolph Childress.

After him, I don't know. Harpring. Steve Hale. Tyrone Bogues.

My all-time favorite non-Duke ACC athlete is, without question, Warrick Dunn.

jv001
10-01-2012, 08:27 AM
David Thompson(DT) #1 and best I've ever seen in college basketball
Best of the Rest:
Bobby Jones
Walter Davis
Randolph Childress
Rodney Monroe
Jeff Lamp

burnspbesq
10-01-2012, 09:59 AM
David Thompson(DT) #1 and best I've ever seen in college basketball
Best of the Rest:
Bobby Jones
Walter Davis
Randolph Childress
Rodney Monroe
Jeff Lamp

Thompson, Jones, Davis are great old-school choices. I would add John Lucas, Gus Gerard, Skip Brown, and Mike O'Koren.

Honorable mention to Billy Langloh, arguably the least talented player ever to put a team on his back for three days and steal an ACC Tournament.

Wander
10-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Agree on Vasquez, that guy was hilarious, and IIRC admitted he sorta became a Duke fan somewhere along the way. Also, I always liked the VT guard Zabian Dowdell, partly because he kept a good sense of humor about the Dockery miracle shot.

Lord Ash
10-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Antawn and Juan Dixon are two of my absolute favorites. I wish I could find that Antawn stat, about how long he had possession of the ball each game; it was something like 35 seconds or some crazy number like that, while scoring 25 points. I did like GV by the end, because I feel like he really "got it" when it came to the fans; he enjoyed that give and take, and had fun with it.

UrinalCake
10-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Lots of great answers so far. I'll second Tim Duncan, not only for being great but for sticking around for four years and proving that you can do so and not have it hurt your pro career.

Who was that point guard from Boston College who dropped 40 on UNC a couple years ago? I'd give him an honorable mention. Anyone who destroys UNC should get an honorary Randolf Childress award.

Also, UVA had some 7'5" behemoth a several years ago who never played but always had a blast with the Crazies during warmups.

rsvman
10-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Juan Dixon.

Edouble
10-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Agree on Vasquez, that guy was hilarious, and IIRC admitted he sorta became a Duke fan somewhere along the way.

He was a Duke fan from the get go. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/05/greivis_vasquez_loves_duke.html

FerryFor50
10-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Dennis Scott. I remember during a pre-game warmup once, he had a three-point shooting contest with a fan, for a twinkie. I liked him even before that, but once I saw that, he was my fave.

I also had a couple amusing run-ins with Chuck Nevitt, who had a pretty good sense of humor for a stick-thin, 7'5" guy, so he's my runner up.

I work at the same company as Chuck. He seems to be a good guy. Sticks out like a tall thumb, too.

Kedsy
10-01-2012, 01:26 PM
I work at the same company as Chuck. He seems to be a good guy. Sticks out like a tall thumb, too.

What does he do for a living these days?

Dukehky
10-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Lots of great answers so far. I'll second Tim Duncan, not only for being great but for sticking around for four years and proving that you can do so and not have it hurt your pro career.

Who was that point guard from Boston College who dropped 40 on UNC a couple years ago? I'd give him an honorable mention. Anyone who destroys UNC should get an honorary Randolf Childress award.

Also, UVA had some 7'5" behemoth a several years ago who never played but always had a blast with the Crazies during warmups.

I think you're talking about Tyrese Rice. I remember that game as well, BC still ended up losing even though Rice scored something like 35 of his forty in the first half.

In addition to Singletary, who I'm dying that nobody has seconded, I also really, really liked Josh Howard. Until the whole Wake the Nation/tie-dye/stupid techno song Wake Forest basketball, I rooted for Wake most of the time, but afterwards, no sir.

75Crazie
10-01-2012, 02:37 PM
... Mike O'Koren.
You have GOT to be kidding us!

flyingdutchdevil
10-01-2012, 02:44 PM
but I loved Julius Hodge. Player with a massive chip on his shoulder, played angry, won a lot of games for NC State, and just a competitor. Any team would be lucky to have him. Can you imagine in Coach K had Hodge? His potential would so much more under Coach K, and Hodge's mouth would essentially be stapled shut.

NSDukeFan
10-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Kenny Smith, Dennis Scott, Rodney Monroe, Randolph Childress, Tim Duncan, Kenny Anderson, Tyler Zeller, Trevor Booker, Kendall Marshall, Bryant Stith, James Forrest, Rodney Rogers, Shammond Williams, Toney Douglas, Chris Singleton would be on my list of favorite non-Duke ACC players.

Jeff Frosh
10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
No Tar Heel makes my list. Perhaps "begrudging respect", but none of them can be called "favorites." At the top of my list are those players who tormented UNC. A couple that come to mind are Childress and Monroe. I also remember a great performance by Bias in Chapel Hill where he absolutely tore their heart out at the end of regulation and overtime. I know there are many others. My Duke friends tell me that I have an unhealthy dislike of UNC. Guilty as charged.

Moses
10-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Easy one for me ... I loved how hard Buck Williams played and how he took apart Ralph Sampson - giving up 8 inches.

JBDuke
10-01-2012, 03:44 PM
... Mike O'Koren ...

Wasn't O'Koren voted to the Top 50 Ugliest Players of All Time for the ACC's 50th Anniversary Celebration? And weren't the rest of the Top 50 made up exclusively of lepers?

FerryFor50
10-01-2012, 03:50 PM
What does he do for a living these days?

He actually works in a computer lab. Guess they need someone who can reach the top of the rack. :)

OldPhiKap
10-01-2012, 03:59 PM
PF -- Mugsy Bogues
SG -- Randolph Childress
F -- Len Bias
F -- Antawn Jamison
C -- John Salley

Reilly
10-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Greg Manning, Dennis Scott, Rodney Monroe, Mark Price ..... Jamison is my least hated Tar Heel.

camion
10-01-2012, 04:12 PM
And again, David Thompson.

He's the only non-Duke player I ever bought an NCAA tournament ticket to see.

Billy Dat
10-01-2012, 04:21 PM
In the wake of the Len Bias tragedy emerged a one man throwback to the swag of the 70s ABA, style and game for miles...I am talking about THE WIZARD, Walt Williams.

arnie
10-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Can we give honorary membership to John Tudor even though he played at LSU?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-01-2012, 05:40 PM
I've had lots of players in the ACC I like, but the Tar Heels I like are far fewer and further between.

I had occasion to meet Donald Williams at a basketball camp I was attending in the summer of 1992. He was a really nice guy, and frankly when he said he was going to be a starter on the team in 1993, I politely sounded impressed. He had, heretofore been an afterthought averaging 4 mins in garbage time as a freshman. My jaw hit the floor when he was voted (rightfully so) MOP in the Final Four in 1993.

Also, Antawn Jamison was one of the most impressive players I've ever seen. I saw him play in high school and could see he was going to be something special. I don't relish the numbers he put up on our Blue Devils in the years he was at UNC, but you couldn't deny his talent. Also, he didn't seem to have the overwhelming cockiness that Vince Carter and Rasheed and others in that era oozed.

Outside of the Tar Heels:

Corchiani, DelNegro, Monroe... Bouges, Rodgers, Childress, Duncan... Dennis Scott, Mark Price, all those Barrys... Horace and Harvey, Buckner Jr... Bryant Stith... And begrudgingly Vasquez and Dixon

TruBlu
10-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Spud and Mugsy

Honorable mention to Brian Magid. Dude could shoot, but never got much playing time. Entertained the Duke students (and won a few dollars from them) in pregame shoot-around.

burnspbesq
10-01-2012, 08:31 PM

We Jersey Guys have each other's backs. 201 fa life!

plimnko
10-01-2012, 08:49 PM
1)David Thompson and Len Bias.... a tie
2)Rodney Rogers
3)Tim Duncan
4)Bruce Dalrymple

Newton_14
10-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Since we're kind of in that dead spot right before the basketball season and recruits aren't really deciding right now, I thought it'd be fun to talk a little bit of ACC Basketball history.

Who is your favorite non-Duke ACC basketball player?

I always had a real soft spot for Sean Singletary from UVA. Even though he hit that buzzer beater at Virginia a few years ago, I wasn't as upset as I normally would have been because it was Singletary that hit it. He's probably my favorite non-Dukie.

This is not even close for me. David Thompson by a mile. Still the best college player I have ever seen play the game. Guy was just unreal.

MartyClark
10-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Steve Blake, Maryland. I ran into him a few years ago at a 24 Hour Fitness in Denver when he played for the Nuggets. His wife was giving him heck about something in the parking lot. I couldn't help but like the guy.

OldPhiKap
10-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Steve Blake, Maryland. I ran into him a few years ago at a 24 Hour Fitness in Denver when he played for the Nuggets. His wife was giving him heck about something in the parking lot. I couldn't help but like the guy.

Dude likes Johnny Rockets, gotta be something to him. Just ask the cops.

diveonthefloor
10-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Sidney Lowe

Cameron
10-02-2012, 01:26 PM
I've never been more disappointed -- almost saddened -- by another ACC player's final game of college basketball than I was when Greivis Vasquez and Maryland were knocked out of the tournament on a last second shot at the hands of Michigan State in the second round in 2010. Maryland had that game won and Greivis should have had his chance to shine in the Sweet 16. For that reason, I guess I'd have to say him.

Some other marvelously talented players I've enjoyed in recent history in the best conference in basketball are Rutgers transfer Todd Billet (outside of a multitude of Duke players over the last decade, Billet might have had the deepest shooting range of any ACC player in the 2000s. He was straight lethal from 25 feet in), Steve Blake (yeah, he played for our not-rivals during that not-rivalry's most heated years, but he had such a competitive spirit and was the only player in the country who could at least go to battle with Jason Williams), Engin Atsur (a tough-minded Wolfpacker and skilled shooter and ball handler that I could get behind), and Sean Marshall -- just playing. Sean should still be serving at least four more years in Attica for playing basketball like he was a cartoon character in Mortal Kombat. A pure disgrace.

slower
10-02-2012, 01:38 PM
How could I forget the hugely entertaining Ernest Graham of the Albert King Maryland team? You old-time fans know what I'm talking about. You never knew WHAT the guy would do!

PackMan97
10-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Tim Duncan - WF - simply the best
Juan Dixon - MD - earned it the hard way
Joe Smith - MD - loved his game
Randolph Childress - WF - Ram killer
Mahktar Ndaiye - WF/UM/UNC - favorite UNC baller of all-time.
Curtis Staples - UVA - Didn't he play for like 7 years or something?
Charlie Ward - FSU - never thought he'd make it in the NBA, but he did good
Mugsy Bogues - WF - Short guys represent
Matt Harpring - GT - played hard and played right

Honorable Mention:
Sharon Wright - CU - made the mistake of mispronouncing his name during warm-ups from the front row of Reynolds. Let's just say, glad I wasn't in a dark alley. He's on the list just because I'm afraid to leave him off :)

southgater
10-02-2012, 01:52 PM
From my days growing up in NC, a few more from way back... before I was a Duke fan. Knew them only from Pilot Life TV, but really repected them all:

David Thompson
Charlie Scott
Phil Ford
Tom McMillan/Len Elmore - I always associated them together during their playing days

noworries
10-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Call me crazy, but I don't see how anyone liked Vasquez...to each their own though...

I enjoyed watching Kendall Marshall as much as I despise the light blue..farther back, Tyrese Rice was great for a little guy and I can't think of others at the moment but I'm sure there are plenty.

Cameron
10-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Call me crazy, but I don't see how anyone liked Vasquez...to each their own though...

Here are just a few reasons from some of our own fans here at DBR as to why Greivis is generally one of our most admired rivals.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21353-Greivis-loved-Duke

I used to share your point of view, noworries, especially after Vasquez helped Maryland win in Cameron early in his career and subsequently made the comment that Cameron was "his house." I considered him to be an arrogant jerk at that point and vehemently despised his soul. Then, even it did come after the 41-point humiliation in 2009 in which he scored only four points, Greivis gave an interview before a game at Cameron during his senior year in which he conveyed how much respect he had for Duke and the Crazies and that Cameron will always be Coach K's house. I wish I had a link to that interveiw, because it was completely sincere and you could just feel the admiration he had for our program and the honor he felt to play in our building.

Once I saw that, I immediately respected the hell out of the guy because I had already admired the way he played the game -- all in-- which made it easy to root for him.

75Crazie
10-02-2012, 03:47 PM
"[Tom] Roy Still Sucks"

OldPhiKap
10-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Tim Duncan - WF - simply the best
Juan Dixon - MD - earned it the hard way
Joe Smith - MD - loved his game
Randolph Childress - WF - Ram killer
Mahktar Ndaiye - WF/UM/UNC - favorite UNC baller of all-time.
Curtis Staples - UVA - Didn't he play for like 7 years or something?
Charlie Ward - FSU - never thought he'd make it in the NBA, but he did good
Mugsy Bogues - WF - Short guys represent
Matt Harpring - GT - played hard and played right

Honorable Mention:
Sharon Wright - CU - made the mistake of mispronouncing his name during warm-ups from the front row of Reynolds. Let's just say, glad I wasn't in a dark alley. He's on the list just because I'm afraid to leave him off :)

I get all of the others -- and agree -- but Mahktar? One of the most reprehensible Tar Heels ever to me.

Excellent calls on Staples and Ward.