PDA

View Full Version : Final Score: Duke 34, Wake Forest 27 - celebrate here!!!

JasonEvans
09-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Post-game analysis in this thread.

Joy!

-Jason

PumpkinFunk
09-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Hallelujah! About damn time.

blazindw
09-29-2012, 03:58 PM
HUUUUGE VICTORY! 4-1 on the season, 2 more to get to our goal. Oh, and we're 1-0 in the ACC too! Go Duke!!

DukeSean
The victory, along with the new announcement of Wallace Wade improvements, made today one of the best ever as a Duke Football fan!

Defense was GREAT except for some big plays, but they made some great plays on those takeaways. Great effort by the guys up front, esp Anunike.

Boone was also a hero. When he came in I got nervous, but it didn't look like we missed a beat. Huge game by Desmond Scott, he has to be MVP of the game.

So many good things to say it's almost a shame that Vernon's receptions record is being overlooked, but I'm sure he's more glad we got the win than he got the record

nyesq83
Is it me, or did Boone zip the ball to his receivers faster than Renfree does lately?

Not being critical, maybe it's my perception based on their different mechanics?

peloton
09-29-2012, 04:01 PM
I was really impressed how we pretty much played a complete game today...effective running game, pretty good kicking (except for Will's one bad punt at a very bad time), good passing from Sean & Anthony, effective defense (especially when we really need those guys to step up). Kudos to Coach Cut, the other coaches, and the team - very nice effort and we really showed some heart today...especially on the road.

Wander
09-29-2012, 04:02 PM
It should be noted how many of the less popular tactics worked today. Desmond Scott was fantastic at wide receiver, we scored on the Conette package in the red zone, and the sideways screen passing was really productive (the play where our guy lost his helmet on the way to an easy touchdown was such a pass, for example). I'm as guilty as anyone in regards to complaining about some of this stuff, but it worked great today.

killerleft
09-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Great finish!! I thought the two times we failed to stop them on 3rd down when Wake got back in it might kill us, but the Devils came back and made the plays we absolutely had to have to win. The whole team got this one!

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 04:06 PM
It should be noted how many of the less popular tactics worked today. Desmond Scott was fantastic at wide receiver, we scored on the Conette package in the red zone, and the sideways screen passing was really productive (the play where our guy lost his helmet on the way to an easy touchdown was such a pass, for example). I'm as guilty as anyone in regards to complaining about some of this stuff, but it worked great today.

I think that's right, but it's also predictable on a wet field. The short passing game is going to work better because short burst speed is impaired in pursuit. The running game worked better because the wake defensive line was ineffective in the first half (but great in the second) and because Wake couldn't tackle, arguably also related to the rain.

Son of Jarhead
09-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Way to go DUKE!!!!

Celebrate today, and tomorrow let's start getting ready for UVA.

Now, let's fill the stands at WW on Saturday!!!!

Dukehky
09-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Where do our next two wins come from? UVA is a must win. After that, tough sledding. I think its gotta be UVA and UNC. It would be awesome for Duke to get sent to a bowl by a UNC win. Of course, the other teams have to play the games and anything can happen, but I'm just trying to be realistic.

This was an awesome win in an exciting game, but it gets us closer to a bowl, pretty early in the season, which leads us to speculate as to how we can get there.

peloton
09-29-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm listening to the Duke post game radio show and when they interviewed (an obviously euphoric) Desmond Scott he said something which I found very interesting...and possibly revealing. Maybe I'm making more of his comment than I should be, but I believe it may reveal something about this particular Duke team and their mindset. Desmond mentioned that they're approaching each game with the idea that they're trying to go 1-0 each Saturday. He implied that they're not looking forward to future opponents, just simply trying to win the game that they're currently preparing for. This could be a subtle but effective difference in regard to this particular team and their mindset/attitude towards the season. This team has some very skilled players, some true confidence now, and some pretty good coaches...that can be a dangerous combination for opponents. This was a huge win for our program but it's past history...next weekend is the most important game on the schedule...bar none. I'm with Desmond...we need to go 1-0 next Saturday against the Cavs.

Newton_14
09-29-2012, 04:38 PM
WOOOHOOO!!!

Congrats to the Duke Players and Staff for finally getting over the hump against Wake!

Great job!

On a personal note, I loved the uniforms today! In my opinion, they are the slickest Duke FB uni's ever. I loved the blue helmet, and thought the look of blue helmet/white shirt/blue pants was awesome.

Would love to see at least one game in all blue.

Go Duke!!

Duke FB beats Wake, and my tickets to CTC came in the mail today. Life is good!!

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Where do our next two wins come from? UVA is a must win. After that, tough sledding. I think its gotta be UVA and UNC. It would be awesome for Duke to get sent to a bowl by a UNC win. Of course, the other teams have to play the games and anything can happen, but I'm just trying to be realistic.

This was an awesome win in an exciting game, but it gets us closer to a bowl, pretty early in the season, which leads us to speculate as to how we can get there.

Tough, but I'd say both Techs, UVA and UNC are all within reach. Clemson and Miami are both capable of giving up if they take some other difficult losses, but, from a talent standpoint, they present a bigger challenge than the other four. As always, it seems unfair that we don't get a crack at State (or as I call them, team Hubris), and who wouldn't want to see BC and Maryland this year.

ChrisP
09-29-2012, 04:41 PM

Well UVA would be a great start and would keep our win streak going, plus I love beating those guys and getting an ACC win. I guess they're all ACC games from here on out though, huh? And, GT usually crushes us and we will be playing in the ATL, buuuut they did lose at home today vs. MTSU (and gave up 49 pts in the process). Don't know much about them, but Middle Tennessee looks like a pretty good team though. I honestly don't much care where they come from, as long as we get two more W's. But of course a win over the University of kNown Cheaters on 10/20 would be nice, too!

JasonEvans
09-29-2012, 04:42 PM

Ga Tech, who got spanked by Middle Tennessee State by 21 points today, sure seems vulnerable. Their scheme is tough for us as we are not super fast on D, but when you look at what Tech has done this year, they certainly are not world beaters. It should be a somewhat competitive game and if their season continues to go south, that team could stop listening to Paul Johnson.

-Jason "Tech could easily be 3-7 coming into the game with us... I would not be surprised at that" Evans

dukebballcamper90-91
09-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Tied for first in the ACC

ChrisP
09-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Anyone listen to the post-game? Any news on Renfree? He was having a really good game when he went out (22 of 28 and 204 yds!) I feel bad for him and certainly hope it's nothing season-ending for him.

jafarr1
09-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Renfree is slated to have an MRI on his shoulder. Those can come back as nothing or come back as season-ending. Cross your fingers.

Still, great win for Duke today, and the announcement about the stadium improvements is a very nice bonus.

Kimist
09-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Anyone listen to the post-game? Any news on Renfree? He was having a really good game when he went out (22 of 28 and 204 yds!) I feel bad for him and certainly hope it's nothing season-ending for him.

I'd also kinda like to know what Coach Cutcliffe said.

Just as his post-game onfield TV interview was starting, WRAL switched to several minutes of commercials....followed by the UT/UGA game in progress.:mad:

k

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 04:58 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/halftime-duke-leads-wake-forest-13-10

Deceptive link title; actual blog is for completed game.

"The newest additions to the injury list for Duke include Renfree, safety Brandon Braxton, linebacker Dave Helton, cornerback Lee Butler and nose guard Sydney Sarmiento."

Read more here: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/halftime-duke-leads-wake-forest-13-10#storylink=cpy

peloton
09-29-2012, 04:59 PM
ChrisP, although I was listening to Bob & Co. post game I stepped outside briefly to help my wife and son with groceries...could've missed comments concerning this. Thanks for asking about this though - obviously I and others would like to hear of any details re:Sean's injury.

SupaDave
09-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Ga Tech, who got spanked by Middle Tennessee State by 21 points today, sure seems vulnerable. Their scheme is tough for us as we are not super fast on D, but when you look at what Tech has done this year, they certainly are not world beaters. It should be a somewhat competitive game and if their season continues to go south, that team could stop listening to Paul Johnson.

-Jason "Tech could easily be 3-7 coming into the game with us... I would not be surprised at that" Evans

I went to the Tech/UVA game and Tech pummeled UVA. HOWEVER, when the running game can be stopped by an opponent like say - Miami or MTSU then Tech is stuck in the water. The defense is quite vulnerable to passing plays as well. Tech and UVA are beatable.

hudlow
09-29-2012, 05:03 PM
There was an impression of confidence from this team I got watching this game that I haven't seen in a Duke football team in quite a while. I thought Duke might choke when Wake broke that ~30 yard run from their own 2 for the first down on third down. But after a couple of plays the team gathered themselves and went back to business.

A milestone game.

GO DUKE!!!

jafarr1
09-29-2012, 05:07 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/halftime-duke-leads-wake-forest-13-10

Deceptive link title; actual blog is for completed game.

"The newest additions to the injury list for Duke include Renfree, safety Brandon Braxton, linebacker Dave Helton, cornerback Lee Butler and nose guard Sydney Sarmiento."

Read more here: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/halftime-duke-leads-wake-forest-13-10#storylink=cpy

Sarmiento apparently is OK. Had the wind knocked out of him, according to a tweet from the same blogger.

Now, about the other four, and the rest of our injured players...

fuse
09-29-2012, 05:20 PM
First time we've beaten Wake since we've had our first child.
Reveling in hard fought victory while wishing the best for Renfree.

Greg_Newton
09-29-2012, 05:33 PM
I'm so happy right now. I'll worry about future opponents and injuries later, days like this don't come around very often for Duke football fans.

Huge game with so many guys stepping up. Defense was enormous and won us the game with turnovers; the double-tipped INT was just beautiful. France and Brown came up huge after Helton went out, each creating a big turnover and making a few tackles. Desmond Scott with the game of his life, Jordan D-O with a repeat performance of his game-changing forced fumble against FIU last year, Anunike getting to the QB through doubleteams, Sink and even Raynor filling in on the interior line, CV with his ACC record-tying catch to convert a huge 3rd down and set up our final TD. Dwayne Norman got beat on that soul-crushing TD on 3rd and 200, but generally filled in admirably and made some nice plays.

We're going to be pretty beat up and bruised when we get back, but you have to be proud of the effort today.

watzone
09-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Conner Vernon post game interviews - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/09/conner-vernon-post-game-vids-from-wake-win/

Boone, Scott and Duncan post game vids - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/09/blue-devils-happy-to-snap-losing-streak-at-wake-forest-on-saturday/

Coach Cut interview - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/09/coach-cutcliffe-wake-forest-post-game/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/215520707925/#!/media/set/?set=a.4311463158847.167848.1654929092&type=1Duke vs Wake Photo Gallery - 4

Huge win for Duke, players, staff and all involved with Duke very happy. Enjoy post game vids hot off the press and photo gallery. Go #dukegang. Be there for UVA!

chrishoke
09-29-2012, 05:56 PM
How sweet it is!

Dez was the MVP.

Our depth is vastly improved - Cut's biggest recruiting success.

Winning on the road with all the injury adversity we faced - awesome.

I am so happy for all the guys.

Now let's build on this.

Loved seeing Cut and Grobe chatting after the game - Grobe was smiling thru disappointment and was clearly happy for Cut.

How sweet it is!

devildeac
09-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Sarmiento apparently is OK. Had the wind knocked out of him, according to a tweet from the same blogger.

Now, about the other four, and the rest of our injured players...

Radio said early in the game they expected Helton to play again today but did not hear his name called after the first quarter. Also looked like on the sidelines they were examining Sean's elbow. Biting nails now...

6th Man
09-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Huge to finally get Wake and also see depth on both sides of the ball. I was at the game and Renfree was throwing passes on the sidelines after the injury. I guess you never know, but I would be shocked if it is a major injury.

Random thoughts-if Wally Wade is ever going to get loud and have a great environment, next Sat. is the day. Time to be loud and be proud. Also, I have noticed all day the main page has referred to us as having 0 losses. We are 4-1 not 4-0. That deserves a "C'mon man"! Last random thought...Cutcliffe has turned this thing around. I have no idea what the final record will be...but this program is on a totally different level than pre-Cutcliffe.

devildeac
09-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Huge win in oh so many, many ways. Fourth of the season, taking us to 4-1. ACC win on the road. 13 year old Wake monkey off our back. Came up huge defensively after a momentum changing 10 point blitz by WFU, capped by a 98 yard drive. Forcing more TO. Confidence building heading back to WW to play UVa. GT looking like a possible win after their disaster today. A nice running game. Des Scott dividends at WR. Conner who?(jk) Improving DB.

See y'all at WW next Saturday!

chaosmage
09-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Only got to see the last 5 minutes, but was HIGHLY impressed with the confidence level I saw. Was also going to point out the 4-0 thing. That Stanford thing wasn't a dream right? :-P

Go Duke!

devildeac
09-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Just hope no one gets the "bright" idea to produce a Hitler video entitled "Hitler Finds out Wake Forest Loses to Duke" like someone did several years ago when we beat UVa.:rolleyes:

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-29-2012, 07:04 PM
In its own way, this win is as big as the win several years ago against UVa which was the first ACC win since Coach Cutcliffe's arrival. I'm sure Coach Cutcliffe will have a game ball from this one in his office!

OldPhiKap
09-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Huge win! HUGE! On so many levels and in so many ways! :D

OK, we've celebrated enough. Next play. UVA will be here before we know it! :cool:

Greg_Newton
09-29-2012, 08:10 PM
OK, we've celebrated enough. Next play.

I strongly disagree. :p

Another crazy thing about today is that much of the effort came with true FR Dwayne Norman playing safety, backup Tony Foster at CB, underclassman backups Sink, Ingram and even Wray on the interior DL, backup LBs, underclassman backup TEs, and an RB as our best WR. Then, we played the fourth quarter without our third-year RS-SR starting QB. So many guys stepped up.

Duke_92
09-29-2012, 09:23 PM
I am glad the players can focus on one game at a time this season, but as I fan I think I can let my mind think about the possibilities. This is incredible. Made the road trip up to Wake today and I just can't stop smiling. My wife thinks I'm going mad! GaTech, UNC and Uva are all looking up at us in the standings, let's keep it that way. Whether we clinch a bowl bid on the road or at home, I'll be there. Hope you will to.

throatybeard
09-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Just hope no one gets the "bright" idea to produce a Hitler video entitled "Hitler Finds out Wake Forest Loses to Duke" like someone did several years ago when we beat UVa.:rolleyes:

Agreed. Untergang parodies were once funny, but that ship has sailed.

devildeac
09-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Time to party like it's 1999:rolleyes:;).

Seriously, back to films today and practice tomorrow to prepare for Uva (assuming that's Cut's order of business). Our record this week is 0-0.

Olympic Fan
09-30-2012, 12:56 PM
I strongly disagree. :p

Another crazy thing about today is that much of the effort came with true FR Dwayne Norman playing safety, backup Tony Foster at CB, underclassman backups Sink, Ingram and even Wray on the interior DL, backup LBs, underclassman backup TEs, and an RB as our best WR. Then, we played the fourth quarter without our third-year RS-SR starting QB. So many guys stepped up.

I was looking at the defense on the field when Wake got the ball back early in the fourth quarter with the score 20-all (after we had blown a 20-10 lead). I don't mind teling you, I thought we were toast. It looked like so many Duke-Wake games ... here we have them 20-10 and we come up inches short on a third down play at midfield. Cut plays it conservative and punts (I was screaming to go for it and finish them!). Still, his strategy looks look at our freshman punter gets it out at the two. Wake's facing third-and 10 and one more defensive play might finish them ... instead, we have a bust, the get the first down, then go 98 yards for the TD, then on the next series, knock Renfree out, forcing a turnover at our 20. Great -- GREAT -- job by the defense holding them to a field goal.

So now it's 20-20 with 13 minutes left and Wake takes over at their own seven (after a 57-yard punt by our freshman kicker -- with no return). I noticed (and later confirmed by watching the DVR replay) the players on the field for Duke. Compare them to the preseason depth chart:

Three starters: Cockrell, Byas and Canty (although Cockrell was playing out of position at safety).
Three second-teamers: Gamble, Sink and Foster
One player who was listed as a co-second-teamer: DeWalt-Ondijo
One third teamer: France
One fifth-teamer: Woodruff
Two true freshmen who weren't on the depth chart: Wray and Norman (who was actually playing corner -- Cut said he made the switch this week)

That's the group that produced what proved to be the game-winning play --DeWalt-Ondijo's sack and Woodruff's fumble recovery. France later came up with an INT to set up our final score. Norman finished second on the team in tackles.

Folks, you've got to give Cut and his staff credit for their recruiting. The depth of this team -- compared to past Duke teams -- is unbelievable. We've played all season without our best LB (Kelby Bfrown). His backup (Helton) has been in and out. Our best interior DT has been out all season. His replacement went out on the second play against wake (he did return for some limited duty). Our second best DE has missed the last three games (Foxx). We've lost more safeties than anybody could imagine -- Byas is back after missing three games, but Campbell, Taveras, Sowell, Cash (ineligible), McCarthy all out ... Young-Wiseman is playing, but is still hobbled and now Braxton is out (who knows how bad). Add Lee Butler -- hurt and didn't return.

The offense has had better luck, except at tight end (Deaver and Farrell) and, of course, the tragic loss of Holliday. However, that would change if Renfree's injury is serious.

Still, this team has found ways to win the games it has a chance to win ... that's amazing.

I'm not going to get caught up in counting down the victories to bowl eligibility. Right now, my focus is on Virginia. They are certainly a beatable opponent. I hope the fans will turnj out Saturday. I can understand not supporting a bunch of stumblebums, but these guys have earned a little respect.

blazindw
09-30-2012, 01:20 PM
On a personal note, I loved the uniforms today! In my opinion, they are the slickest Duke FB uni's ever. I loved the blue helmet, and thought the look of blue helmet/white shirt/blue pants was awesome.

Would love to see at least one game in all blue.

I loved the combo as well! The folks at Uni Watch agreed with you also...in their weekly 5 & 1 roundup (where they count down the 5 best looking college games and the 1 worst looking game by uniforms), the Duke-Wake game finished a close 2nd best!

http://www.uni-watch.com/2012/09/30/sunday-morning-uni-watch-11/

I'd love to see us in all blue on October 20th.

uh_no
09-30-2012, 02:20 PM
I loved the combo as well! The folks at Uni Watch agreed with you also...in their weekly 5 & 1 roundup (where they count down the 5 best looking college games and the 1 worst looking game by uniforms), the Duke-Wake game finished a close 2nd best!

http://www.uni-watch.com/2012/09/30/sunday-morning-uni-watch-11/

I'd love to see us in all blue on October 20th.

I'd love to see that victory bell in all royal blue on October 20th :)

devildeac
09-30-2012, 02:56 PM
I was looking at the defense on the field when Wake got the ball back early in the fourth quarter with the score 20-all (after we had blown a 20-10 lead). I don't mind teling you, I thought we were toast. It looked like so many Duke-Wake games ... here we have them 20-10 and we come up inches short on a third down play at midfield. Cut plays it conservative and punts (I was screaming to go for it and finish them!). Still, his strategy looks look at our freshman punter gets it out at the two. Wake's facing third-and 10 and one more defensive play might finish them ... instead, we have a bust, the get the first down, then go 98 yards for the TD, then on the next series, knock Renfree out, forcing a turnover at our 20. Great -- GREAT -- job by the defense holding them to a field goal.

So now it's 20-20 with 13 minutes left and Wake takes over at their own seven (after a 57-yard punt by our freshman kicker -- with no return). I noticed (and later confirmed by watching the DVR replay) the players on the field for Duke. Compare them to the preseason depth chart:

Three starters: Cockrell, Byas and Canty (although Cockrell was playing out of position at safety).
Three second-teamers: Gamble, Sink and Foster
One player who was listed as a co-second-teamer: DeWalt-Ondijo
One third teamer: France
One fifth-teamer: Woodruff
Two true freshmen who weren't on the depth chart: Wray and Norman (who was actually playing corner -- Cut said he made the switch this week)

That's the group that produced what proved to be the game-winning play --DeWalt-Ondijo's sack and Woodruff's fumble recovery. France later came up with an INT to set up our final score. Norman finished second on the team in tackles.

Folks, you've got to give Cut and his staff credit for their recruiting. The depth of this team -- compared to past Duke teams -- is unbelievable. We've played all season without our best LB (Kelby Bfrown). His backup (Helton) has been in and out. Our best interior DT has been out all season. His replacement went out on the second play against wake (he did return for some limited duty). Our second best DE has missed the last three games (Foxx). We've lost more safeties than anybody could imagine -- Byas is back after missing three games, but Campbell, Taveras, Sowell, Cash (ineligible), McCarthy all out ... Young-Wiseman is playing, but is still hobbled and now Braxton is out (who knows how bad). Add Lee Butler -- hurt and didn't return.

The offense has had better luck, except at tight end (Deaver and Farrell) and, of course, the tragic loss of Holliday. However, that would change if Renfree's injury is serious.

Still, this team has found ways to win the games it has a chance to win ... that's amazing.

I'm not going to get caught up in counting down the victories to bowl eligibility. Right now, my focus is on Virginia. They are certainly a beatable opponent. I hope the fans will turnj out Saturday. I can understand not supporting a bunch of stumblebums, but these guys have earned a little respect.

I fully understand your points. One minor correction to your last phrase: "...these guys have earned a lot/ton of respect. (;))

Greg_Newton
09-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Jela went viral:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDDA9t8trMQ&feature=player_embedded

OldPhiKap
09-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Jela went viral:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDDA9t8trMQ&feature=player_embedded

For the third week in a row, this kid has shown that he is an absolute beast.

CameronBornAndBred
09-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Kinda hard to argue a facemask when the helmet is still entangled in your fingers as the runner is continuing on downfield. That was the first of a few decapitation attempts I saw yesterday.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-30-2012, 06:59 PM
For the third week in a row, this kid has shown that he is an absolute beast.

He's the one emerging right now. There's also the much heralded Shaquille Powell who should come online as a strong running back.:cool:

6th Man
09-30-2012, 07:05 PM
With this new rule with the play being dead at the spot the helmet comes off, you have to think he could have intentionally ripped his helmet off to save the TD. I guess you get the additional face mask penalty, but he saved 6 points. They may need to think of an additional penalty for ripping a helmet off.

roywhite
09-30-2012, 07:10 PM
He's the one emerging right now. There's also the much heralded Shaquille Powell who should come online as a strong running back.:cool:

Powell has played some, and has 11 carries for 30 yards total. I'm wondering if he should have been redshirted.

Easy to say in retrospect, I guess, but Duncan has been the freshman running back most ready to make an impact.

After 5 games, Duke's rushing totals are close to those of their opponents. We're still dependent on the passing game, but the running game (and the crucial ability to stop the run) have come along.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Powell has played some, and has 11 carries for 30 yards total. I'm wondering if he should have been redshirted.

Easy to say in retrospect, I guess, but Duncan has been the freshman running back most ready to make an impact.

After 5 games, Duke's rushing totals are close to those of their opponents. We're still dependent on the passing game, but the running game (and the crucial ability to stop the run) have come along.

You're right about Shaquille playing some already this season. It's great to have this sort of talent clustered in the depth chart.

jimsumner
09-30-2012, 09:59 PM
You're right about Shaquille playing some already this season. It's great to have this sort of talent clustered in the depth chart.

It should be noted that Powell is making contributions on special teams.

CDu
10-01-2012, 08:27 AM

I used to think that as well, but this weekend has left me less than impressed with both Miami and Ga Tech. I now think both of those games are winnable. So we "just" need to go 2-2 in our winnable games left.

Great win this weekend. I am so excited that we finally beat Wake!

DukeSean
10-01-2012, 09:12 AM
I don't think I've ever seen such a small number next to Duke in the power rankings:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/45116/acc-power-rankings-week-6-5

GO DUKE! BEAT UVA!

Greg_Newton
10-01-2012, 11:42 PM
I don't think I've ever seen such a small number next to Duke in the power rankings:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/45116/acc-power-rankings-week-6-5

GO DUKE! BEAT UVA!

Whoa. I love Heather... but we're not one of the five best teams in the ACC. I'm put us ahead of BC, Wake and Maryland right now - which in and of itself is a huge accomplishment - roughly even with UVA (knock on wood!) and behind UNC, GT and NCSU. Not saying we couldn't beat any of those teams, but there's no way a neutral observer should pick us to beat UNC with equal odds right now.

killerleft
10-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Whoa. I love Heather... but we're not one of the five best teams in the ACC. I'm put us ahead of BC, Wake and Maryland right now - which in and of itself is a huge accomplishment - roughly even with UVA (knock on wood!) and behind UNC, GT and NCSU. Not saying we couldn't beat any of those teams, but there's no way a neutral observer should pick us to beat UNC with equal odds right now.

Eh, it's all in good fun. We're 4-1 for the first time since... dang, way back there, I guess (We were 4-0 in '94). I'm just glad we aren't a cellar-dwellar. If we beat Va. the 'sudden-respect-o-meter' may propel us into the top 25, and we won't "deserve" that either, just like several others.

budwom
10-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Yeah, Heather has kind of gone off the deep end, but I appreciate her interest in Duke. She's always been good to us.

We have no business being ranked, but to be fair we are precisely where we (at least most of us) wanted to be at this point in the season.
We've finally beaten Wake and the three lesser non-conference opponents.

Now if we can beat UVA we'll have much needed momentum as we head into the tough part of the schedule.

So far, so good. But beating UVA is pretty much mandatory if we want to play in a bowl.

CDu
10-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Yeah, Heather has kind of gone off the deep end, but I appreciate her interest in Duke. She's always been good to us.

We have no business being ranked, but to be fair we are precisely where we (at least most of us) wanted to be at this point in the season.
We've finally beaten Wake and the three lesser non-conference opponents.

Now if we can beat UVA we'll have much needed momentum as we head into the tough part of the schedule.

So far, so good. But beating UVA is pretty much mandatory if we want to play in a bowl.

I'd agree with that. They represent, by a decent margin, the easiest game left on our schedule (and it's not going to be easy). If we don't win that one, we'd have to take 2 of 3 from UNC, Ga Tech, and Miami. Not an easy proposition at all.