PDA

View Full Version : I miss individual player recruitment threads

Lord Ash
09-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Hi all,

Okay, I know this is an old topic, but recently I've found myself missing information and news on specific players because they've snuck by the in the catch-all recruiting threads. While I understand some people might want to keep the total number of threads down, it does make it a bit harder to keep up on some pretty big recruitments of some pretty major players. Would it be okay if we were a bit more specialized and had a thread for each of our major recruits? It would improve on the organization of information on the forum, and allow readers to focus on the topics they are interested in learning about rather than having to always wade through information they are not interested in to find the tidbits they want to know. I know I have welcomed the Julius R one, and that thread has made following his recruitment (and listening to other posters thoughts on him) a lot easier.

Or is this not really an official "policy" and just sort of how things have shaken out recently?

Thanks!

dukedoc
09-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Hi all,

Okay, I know this is an old topic, but recently I've found myself missing information and news on specific players because they've snuck by the in the catch-all recruiting threads. While I understand some people might want to keep the total number of threads down, it does make it a bit harder to keep up on some pretty big recruitments of some pretty major players. Would it be okay if we were a bit more specialized and had a thread for each of our major recruits? It would improve on the organization of information on the forum, and allow readers to focus on the topics they are interested in learning about rather than having to always wade through information they are not interested in to find the tidbits they want to know. I know I have welcomed the Julius R one, and that thread has made following his recruitment (and listening to other posters thoughts on him) a lot easier.

Or is this not really an official "policy" and just sort of how things have shaken out recently?

Thanks!

I agree with you. I suppose one way to do it is to have a thread for every player that gets an official offer. If K likes the kid enough to give him an offer, then it seems legitimate to give him his own thread. However, would it have been too much to give each player a thread when K was on his offer-giving streak a couple months back? Perhaps it would have cluttered things too much. How about if a player is offered and is in the top 30? Not sure what the best way is to balance the specificity of threads and the ease of finding information with the concern of cluttering the board.

-jk
09-28-2012, 11:57 AM
We generally only have individual threads for a few high profile players who have offers.

Under normal circumstances, so much of the discussion of recruiting takes place within the context of the class - who complements whom, who overlaps with whom.

Almost any individual recruiting thread wanders all over the place, making it harder to find info on any particular recruit.

If you look at the Parker thread, you'll see a lot of discussion of other recruits. The combined class threads help keep things together.

-jk

ThePublisher
09-30-2012, 12:31 AM
Agreed. The year threads are tedious to look through for any useful info.
The recently added charts are welcome, just not in debth enough.

A recruiting subfolder would be even better...

JNort
09-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Why don't we have separate recruiting threads based off of position instead? It would cut down on the number of threads and still make it easy to find info on a certain guy. The other benefit would be how much easier it would be to talk about guys who have diff skill sets but play the same position.

EX=> Forwards and Guards
EX=> Bigs and Wings

dcdevil2009
09-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Why don't we have separate recruiting threads based off of position instead? It would cut down on the number of threads and still make it easy to find info on a certain guy. The other benefit would be how much easier it would be to talk about guys who have diff skill sets but play the same position.

EX=> Forwards and Guards
EX=> Bigs and Wings

How are we going to say that Duke isn't bound by positions if we pigeon hole our recruits into position-based threads?

Saratoga2
10-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Hi all,

Thanks!

It's October and I am looking forward to hearing how this seasons team is coming together and how the practices are going. There seems to be a lack of information along that line, so I wonder if insiders are not getting access to practices. We are a month away from being able to see this team develop and grow into what I hope will be a very competitive season.

The recruting coverage is okay with me the way it haas been going.

Indoor66
10-02-2012, 03:21 PM
It's October and I am looking forward to hearing how this seasons team is coming together and how the practices are going. There seems to be a lack of information along that line, so I wonder if insiders are not getting access to practices. We are a month away from being able to see this team develop and grow into what I hope will be a very competitive season.

The recruting coverage is okay with me the way it haas been going.

I don't believe practice has started yet. It begins 10/12/2012 (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_can_official_college_basketball_practice_begi n).

OZZIE4DUKE
10-02-2012, 09:54 PM
I don't believe practice has started yet. It begins 10/12/2012 (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_can_official_college_basketball_practice_begi n).

But we had no reports on how great Nick Horvath has looked in the pick up games in Card and Cameron, :cool:

JNort
10-05-2012, 09:19 AM
How are we going to say that Duke isn't bound by positions if we pigeon hole our recruits into position-based threads?

Thats why you don't do it by position but by size or play type. Bigs and Wings or Forwards and Guards, if there is a disagreement on which is which then leave that up to the mods.