PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Plumlee has grown a bit

ohiodukefan
09-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Here's a nice article on Duke players helping children with cancer at the Children's Hospital. Look at the picture. Kelly has always been listed as 6'11". Mason has always been listed as 6'10" but he's got an inch or so on Ryan, meaning he's at least 7'. But look at Marshall. He's listed as 6'11"........BUT..............he's got at least 2-3 inches on both of them, meaning he's got to be 7'2"-7'3"!!!

http://m.dukechronicle.com/article/duke-basketball-helps-children-fighting-cancer#/article/duke-basketball-helps-children-fighting-cancer

Bluedog
09-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Height measurements are not accurate without cinderblocks. :cool:

But, seriously, with people sometimes slouching, not everybody lined up evenly, and Kelly's mop of a head of hair, it's impossible to accurately gauge Marshall's height. From that picture, I don't see how you came to the conclusion that Mason is taller than Ryan and at least 7'. And no way Marshall is 7'2"-7'3"...sorry. Perhaps 7', which is still incredibly tall. Even though the front page came to a similar conclusion as you today (perhaps you saw this already):
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=45339

Indoor66
09-27-2012, 10:09 AM
No matter about cinder blocks and heights, that is a GREAT picture of three nice guys and one very happy kid! Thanks to DBR for sharing it.

JasonEvans
09-27-2012, 11:04 AM
FWIW, GoDuke (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205214164)lists Marshall at 6-11, but his Wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plumlee) lists him at 7-0. I must admit, though there are many factors that can give false impressions of heights in photos (anyone know what kind of shoes/heels each of them were wearing?) it is hard to see how Marshall is less than 7-0. It would not be at all out of the ordinary for a freshman to grow an inch or so either.

-Jason "cinderblocks be damned -- someone bring me a measuring tape... a long one!!" Evans

Saratoga2
09-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Height measurements are not accurate without cinderblocks. :cool:

But, seriously, with people sometimes slouching, not everybody lined up evenly, and Kelly's mop of a head of hair, it's impossible to accurately gauge Marshall's height. From that picture, I don't see how you came to the conclusion that Mason is taller than Ryan and at least 7'. And no way Marshall is 7'2"-7'3"...sorry. Perhaps 7', which is still incredibly tall. Even though the front page came to a similar conclusion as you today (perhaps you saw this already):
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=45339

When Ryan was interviewed a year or more ago he said he was 6' 9 3/4" in stocking feet. I doubt he has grown much since then. I can believ
e MPII is nearly as tall as Ryan and that Marshall is taller than MPII. My guess is that he is close to 6' 11" in stocsking feet. While height inside isn't critical, it appears each of these three guys is well sized to play inside in DIVI basketball.

BD80
09-27-2012, 11:28 AM
... While height inside isn't critical, it appears each of these three guys is well sized to play inside in DIVI basketball.

None of the four pictured is exactly stocky, or is displaying the kind of guns needed to fend off the competition in the paint.

SharkD
09-27-2012, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't draw any conclusions from the photo.

It's been heavily manipulated -- both to blur the background and, for some reason, to skew the perspective.

UrinalCake
09-27-2012, 12:17 PM
What about the kid in the picture? She's gotta be at least 6'7 or 6'8!

Edouble
09-27-2012, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't draw any conclusions from the photo.

It's been heavily manipulated -- both to blur the background and, for some reason, to skew the perspective.

Yes it has. As a professional photographer, my first thought when I saw this was "this picture is awful". There is no lens that will create the effect of this photo. It has been heavily and quickly retouched. I would not draw any conclusions about the player's relative heights from this photo.

NSDukeFan
09-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Based on the type and alignment of the ceiling tiles, I am pretty sure Mason is 6'11, Ryan is 7'1, Marshall is 7'3 and the kid is 6'4. Duke might end up with one of the tallest front courts in the history of college basketball. Based on the way they are all smiling, I think it is safe to say that Josh Hairston is up to 6'10 and Amile Jefferson is now 6'11.

subzero02
09-27-2012, 01:48 PM
What about the kid in the picture? She's gotta be at least 6'7 or 6'8!

now that's funny stuff....:D

jimsumner
09-27-2012, 02:08 PM
None of the four pictured is exactly stocky, or is displaying the kind of guns needed to fend off the competition in the paint.

A short list of the best interior defenders in college basketball last season would start with Anthony Davis, John Henson and Jeff Withey, none of whom are especially blessed in the guns department.

Steven43
09-27-2012, 02:33 PM
I just hope Marshall can play. I am anxious to see how he does against legitimate D1 competition. We really need him to be a presence on the inside. I think with Mason we know what we're going to get solid, if unspectacular, play. I hope in the offseason he has learned to take it to the basket without having to dribble so much. Just go up with the shot and finish. It would also really help his chances of making it at the next level if he has developed some semblance of a jumpshot. Ryan looked at the beginning of last season like he was becoming a Larry Bird light (VERY light, of course, as I'm comparing him to one of the 3 or 4 greatest players in the history of basketball). Unfortunately, he did not maintain anywhere near that level during the rest of the season. Let's hope he gets back to showing that kind of versatile, confident, aggressive game.

ohiodukefan
09-27-2012, 02:55 PM
I remember back in the day Duke always listed Demarcus Nelson as 6'4". When he got to the NBA camp they measured him as 6' 1 5/8". :)

Kedsy
09-27-2012, 03:06 PM
We really need him [Marshall] to be a presence on the inside.

We'll need him to carry the load in 2013-14, but I doubt we'll "really need" Marshall to do very much this season. I figure Mason and Ryan will get all the minutes they can handle, which would leave maybe 20 minutes for Marshall, Josh, and Amile to divvy up between them (although it's possible Amile gets some minutes at SF, I suppose, which could bump up the interior minutes for Marshall and Josh). I'll be thrilled if Marshall earns as much as 10 mpg. He's really much more of a luxury this season than a need.

Just my opinion, of course.

arnie
09-27-2012, 03:13 PM
I remember back in the day Duke always listed Demarcus Nelson as 6'4". When he got to the NBA camp they measured him as 6' 1 5/8". :)

He played in heels.

thenameisbond
09-27-2012, 03:16 PM
He played agaINst heels.

FIFY

devildeac
09-27-2012, 11:05 PM
He played in heels.

In addition to a leg/ankle brace/device/contraption.

Greg_Newton
09-28-2012, 02:37 AM
FWIW, Marshall measured at 7'1" in shoes two years ago, so he hasn't been 6'11" in basketball terms for a long time. I think I remember hearing that he requested to be listed at 6'11 because he didn't want to be considered a 7 footer, or something like that.

Mason and Ryan's "shoes" measurements this summer were 6'11.5" and 6'11", respectively.

superdave
09-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Nick Horvath got bigger in every successive team picture.

I am looking forward to seeing Marshall play. I've never seen him, just heard stories about him going after his brothers in practice, which I like to hear.

Lord Ash
09-28-2012, 11:04 AM
"Guns" are overrated, and to be frank Marshall is in pretty good shape. He is not a skinny guy. You won't often see a huge center like that with bodybuilder arms... in fact, all three Plumbros are in excellent shape and are very strong for their size.

Love the height... maybe Marshall needed to grow to make room for all that personality?:)

flyingdutchdevil
09-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Was at Campout this year. Met all three. Mason is definitely the shortest, which I find amusing because he always reminds me as the most complete 5 of the three players. Ryan is tall. Like, really tall. His posture is either terrible or he his beard somehow makes him look shorter. I don't know. Marshall is tall, lanky, but actually has a lot of mass. This was the biggest surprise. In street clothes, Marshall looked significantly heavier than Mason. I believe that Marshall was on the Cookout / Backyard BBQ diet this past year because he was some legit weight.

Looking forward to the three of them causing havoc. We easily have a top 5, probably top 3, frontcourt this year. Exciting!

ThePublisher
09-30-2012, 12:36 AM
I don't think it's fair to guess any actual measurements from a photograph such as this.

There are way too many variables involved to even think about being accurate: camera angle and posture being two huge ones. (Kelly looks to be slouching more than mp3.)

I will wait for the official measurements.

killerleft
09-30-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't think it's fair to guess any actual measurements from a photograph such as this.

There are way too many variables involved to even think about being accurate: camera angle and posture being two huge ones. (Kelly looks to be slouching more than mp3.)

I will wait for the official measurements.

Does that animal exist?