PDA

View Full Version : What it is like to be recruited by K

JasonEvans
09-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Maybe I missed it linked elsewhere on this board, but USA Today has a story (http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/article/top-hoops-recruit-julius-randle-in-home-visits-duke-3) about K's in-home with Julius Randle. There is some great insight about how K operates in the article, the kind of behind-the-scenes stuff we rarely get to hear about. So, I am giving this article its own thread for a few days, to ensure everyone gets a chance to read it. After that, we can merge this thread into the one that is exclusively about recruiting Julius.

Oh, and if anyone still thinks K taking time off to coach Team USA is a bad idea... well... read this...

Krzyzewski went on to talk about branding, how he’d incorporate Randle into his system and even showed him a highlight video from his time as head coach of Team USA.

“That got me hype,” Randle says. “I wanted to be a part of that. Just to see him working with all of those great players and knowing he helped develop them is something that you can’t help but to be impressed by.”

Kyles nods and adds in the fact that Krzyzewski “is tight with Kobe (Bryant) and LeBron. Those are your two favorite players.”

Randle smiles and shakes his head.

“I really like that they’re a family there,” Randle says. “He was just really confident with everything he said. Like when he said he thinks they can win it this year, I believed him. He said he wanted me to be the star for this class. Coach K telling you something like that is big.”

-Jason "niice!" Evans

JasonEvans
09-26-2012, 05:38 PM
By the way, if you read the other articles about the other schools that visited Randle, it is clear that he knows to say nice things about everyone... but I can read between the lines and tell which visits went best. If I was Kansas, I would be worried, that's for sure.

-Jason "you have to like Duke's position here... based only on these articles" Evans

dukedoc
09-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Although I have my reservations about Jason Jordan, it's definitely an interesting read. I didn't read the other teams' analyses, but it sounds like we read pretty well in comparison to the others based on the OP. We have Julius's mom and one of his best friends in Matt Jones on our side. Let's just hope Julius himself feels the same way.

CLW
09-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Interesting reads really. It's all tea leaves who really knows what Randle (or any recruit) is wanting/thinking. However, it sounds like it went well. I was actually surprised that the Kentucky visit wasn't as "glowing" as Williams' and K's visits apparently went. Just my guess but it sounds like a UNC Duke battle for this one.

JasonEvans
09-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Interesting reads really. It's all tea leaves who really knows what Randle (or any recruit) is wanting/thinking. However, it sounds like it went well. I was actually surprised that the Kentucky visit wasn't as "glowing" as Williams' and K's visits apparently went. Just my guess but it sounds like a UNC Duke battle for this one.

Counting out Kentucky would be extremely foolish.

Nuf said.

-Jason

Billy Dat
09-27-2012, 10:21 AM
This is a really interesting article, I appreciate you creating this thread.

It was interesting to consider each coach's style; Cal is a cult of personality and a schmoozer, Self is more old school football coach style, Gottfried seemed kind of standard. I was most interested in K and Roy, who seem as different as they appear.

Based on everything I read, Roy is a maestro in this setting. Being as accomplished as he is, I don't think he plays the gravitas/legend card that K seems to play. Granted, he came in with his box of rings, but it sounds, by all accounts, that he really let his hair down around this kid and was kind of cutting up. I give him props for that kind of flexibility. An interesting aside, I was listening to Andy Katz and Seth Greenberg's first podcast of the season and they both think Hubert Davis is the obvious next head coach at UNC when Roy decides to step down - that he was brought in specifically for that reason. I didn't know if that kind of chatter was happening on the board, it was the first I had heard it said with such certainty. The final note on the UNC visit is just to comment on what a lure Michael Jordan still is. They were all gushing at the mention of him.

As for K, with the USA Basketball experience burnishing his legacy, he definitely plays the legend card. These kids, and their parents, seem completely in awe, and we know he is a gifted communicator, but it seems different than Roy or Cal. I think those guys are better at the "I am your friend but I will work you hard" whereas K seems to be all business, although I am sure he works some humor in. Looks like every player gets presented two comps - a Team USA comp and a Duke comp, and likely a Duke comp that is someone playing in the NBA. I doubt he says to anyone - "You remind me of Demarcus Nelson!" (no offense Markie). I definitely liked the following exchange:

"Seconds later her (Kyles - Randle's Mom) phone buzzes again. Then Randle’s. It’s Duke assistant Jeff Capel informing them that he’s in town.
“My boy Capel,” Kyles says. “They’re ready for tomorrow.”
“They stay ready,” Randle says. “That’s Duke.”

Finally:
-Baylor seems like the most obnoxious recruiting machine in history.
-When the time comes, Randle's mother is making him call every coach to whom he is saying "no" personally. Randle says to his mother, "But Mom, no one does that". Props to his Mom for saying she going to make him do it - even better if he actually does - but it's sad that more kids don't do it themselves.

Class of '94
09-27-2012, 10:55 AM
This is a really interesting article, I appreciate you creating this thread.

It was interesting to consider each coach's style; Cal is a cult of personality and a schmoozer, Self is more old school football coach style, Gottfried seemed kind of standard. I was most interested in K and Roy, who seem as different as they appear.

Based on everything I read, Roy is a maestro in this setting. Being as accomplished as he is, I don't think he plays the gravitas/legend card that K seems to play. Granted, he came in with his box of rings, but it sounds, by all accounts, that he really let his hair down around this kid and was kind of cutting up. I give him props for that kind of flexibility. An interesting aside, I was listening to Andy Katz and Seth Greenberg's first podcast of the season and they both think Hubert Davis is the obvious next head coach at UNC when Roy decides to step down - that he was brought in specifically for that reason. I didn't know if that kind of chatter was happening on the board, it was the first I had heard it said with such certainty. The final note on the UNC visit is just to comment on what a lure Michael Jordan still is. They were all gushing at the mention of him.

As for K, with the USA Basketball experience burnishing his legacy, he definitely plays the legend card. These kids, and their parents, seem completely in awe, and we know he is a gifted communicator, but it seems different than Roy or Cal. I think those guys are better at the "I am your friend but I will work you hard" whereas K seems to be all business, although I am sure he works some humor in. Looks like every player gets presented two comps - a Team USA comp and a Duke comp, and likely a Duke comp that is someone playing in the NBA. I doubt he says to anyone - "You remind me of Demarcus Nelson!" (no offense Markie). I definitely liked the following exchange:

"Seconds later her (Kyles - Randle's Mom) phone buzzes again. Then Randle’s. It’s Duke assistant Jeff Capel informing them that he’s in town.
“My boy Capel,” Kyles says. “They’re ready for tomorrow.”
“They stay ready,” Randle says. “That’s Duke.”

Finally:
-Baylor seems like the most obnoxious recruiting machine in history.
-When the time comes, Randle's mother is making him call every coach to whom he is saying "no" personally. Randle says to his mother, "But Mom, no one does that". Props to his Mom for saying she going to make him do it - even better if he actually does - but it's sad that more kids don't do it themselves.

I give Roy credit in that he appears t really connect with the moms of the recruits; and has used that in his favor. A question for you: How does one like K play the "legend card"? IMO, it would be hard for K to talk about or promote himself as a legent. I could be wrong; but the legent designation appears to come from the recruits and not anything K is specificall doing.

And I agree with you about how kids should inform coaches they are saying "no" to personally; but at the same time, I can see why they would be hesitant to when you consider the case of Terrence Jones and call to Cal that negatively impacted UW.

BD80
09-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Maybe I missed it linked elsewhere on this board, but USA Today has a story (http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/article/top-hoops-recruit-julius-randle-in-home-visits-duke-3) about K's in-home with Julius Randle. ...

"Krzyzewski went on to talk about branding, how he’d incorporate Randle into his system "

-Jason "niice!" Evans

I find this fascinating. It makes me realize I am at a "checkers" level of understanding a chess game at which Coach K is a Grand Master.

As much as this is about 18 year old kids who we hope will play and win for Duke basketball, it is also about 18 year old kids choosing their paths into the future they see paved with NBA gold.

Do recruits want the one-year emphasis, pro-prep rep of Kentucky, focusing on the strengths of individual players?

Do they want the "carolina way" - with more coaching than Ky, but still plenty of freedom

Or do they want the Duke brand, with the deepest knowledge of the game and the willingness to do what is best for the team?

I wonder how Harrison Barnes would be perceived now if he had chosen Duke. Or Vince Carter?

Team USA has wonderfully highlighted Coach K's "system." Kobe was willing to be the defensive stopper. LeBron achieved unquestioned greatness by allowing others to score. Durant was told to shoot more.

To some extent Coach K can teach the Duke brand, but the kid has to have enough of the Duke brand already to choose Duke.

The two recruits I think were the best fit that "got away" were Greg Monroe and Jared Jeffries.

Sounds to me that Randle has the heart and the upbringing to thrive at Duke with Coach K.

Billy Dat
09-27-2012, 11:31 AM
I give Roy credit in that he appears t really connect with the moms of the recruits; and has used that in his favor. A question for you: How does one like K play the "legend card"? IMO, it would be hard for K to talk about or promote himself as a legent. I could be wrong; but the legent designation appears to come from the recruits and not anything K is specificall doing.

I will certainly defer to those on the boards who are true students of recruiting - but my use of the phrase "Legend Card" is simply that I think he understands that he is a legend, and that earned designation gives him a weighty gravitas. Walking into a recruits home, he knows it's a huge deal for the kid and his family. Rather than try and diffuse that aura by palling around and being really casual, I am sure he leverages the attention and focus that the reputation affords him..if that makes sense. The legend arrives and, remarkably, begins to hold court demonstrating a thorough knowledge of the game of basketball, your game specifically, how your game would be incorporated in his system, and how both create a road map for your eventual destination - the NBA. How amazing that a guy who just spend the summer coaching the greatest players in the world is so well versed in the specifics of your game. You, and your family sit, taking it in, nodding along - transfixed. Granted, I am sure K makes sure to connect on a really personal level with the recruit and his family, but I am guessing that he is a little more serious than a Cal or a Roy, but probably comes off smarter and more social and worldly and connected than someone like Self. I know I am laying it on thick, here, but what else is recruiting. If Cal is "Cool Cal - the guy with Swag - title rings and NBA bling", and Roy is "Wow - I didn't know Coach Williams was cool and fun - plus MJ went there" then I see K's approach as "God is here, in our Living Room"

Billy Dat
09-27-2012, 11:35 AM
I meant to add something earlier about the branding comments. I am guessing that largely refers to the Duke Blue Planet platform and how it has done a great job of promoting the players in the social media realm:

-Kyle Makes Buckets
-Teammates interviewing teammates (especially Marshall Plumlee)
-The off court features like Scheyer and Henderson's apartment
-Nolan Smith leading tours of the K Center

OldPhiKap
09-27-2012, 11:36 AM
I meant to add something earlier about the branding comments. I am guessing that largely refers to the Duke Blue Planet platform and how it has done a great job of promoting the players in the social media realm:

-Kyle Makes Buckets
-Teammates interviewing teammates (especially Marshall Plumlee)
-The off court features like Scheyer and Henderson's apartment
-Nolan Smith leading tours of the K Center

The recent one of the freshmen and redshirts interviewing the grad students is great. Highly recommend.

thenameisbond
09-27-2012, 03:20 PM
I find this fascinating. It makes me realize I am at a "checkers" level of understanding a chess game at which Coach K is a Grand Master.

As much as this is about 18 year old kids who we hope will play and win for Duke basketball, it is also about 18 year old kids choosing their paths into the future they see paved with NBA gold.

Do recruits want the one-year emphasis, pro-prep rep of Kentucky, focusing on the strengths of individual players?

Do they want the "carolina way" - with more coaching than Ky, but still plenty of freedom

Or do they want the Duke brand, with the deepest knowledge of the game and the willingness to do what is best for the team?

I wonder how Harrison Barnes would be perceived now if he had chosen Duke. Or Vince Carter?

Team USA has wonderfully highlighted Coach K's "system." Kobe was willing to be the defensive stopper. LeBron achieved unquestioned greatness by allowing others to score. Durant was told to shoot more.

To some extent Coach K can teach the Duke brand, but the kid has to have enough of the Duke brand already to choose Duke.

The two recruits I think were the best fit that "got away" were Greg Monroe and Jared Jeffries.

Sounds to me that Randle has the heart and the upbringing to thrive at Duke with Coach K.

I still have a Duke cap w/ Greg Monroe's autograph.

Duke of Nashville
09-27-2012, 07:34 PM

And I agree with you about how kids should inform coaches they are saying "no" to personally; but at the same time, I can see why they would be hesitant to when you consider the case of Terrence Jones and call to Cal that negatively impacted UW.

K is an OG (Original Gangster).

To me this article plays out to be a huge compliment (and provides insight) to K or Duke as far as recruiting goes. I'm willing to bet Julius's mindset is probably very similar to a lot of the other recruits out there. However, these kids appear to become more "grounded" as the years pass. These basketball parents (compared to football parents) seem to be very versed in how to protect a child that possesses such talent. This appears to result in a decision that has been thoroughly weighed by a recruit and his family.

Not that all cases are the same. Just feels like the direction a lot of recruitments seem to be going. We will know soon enough and the future appears to be bright. Go Duke!

gam7
09-27-2012, 08:09 PM
K is an OG (Original Gangster).

To me this article plays out to be a huge compliment (and provides insight) to K or Duke as far as recruiting goes. I'm willing to bet Julius's mindset is probably very similar to a lot of the other recruits out there. However, these kids appear to become more "grounded" as the years pass. These basketball parents (compared to football parents) seem to be very versed in how to protect a child that possesses such talent. This appears to result in a decision that has been thoroughly weighed by a recruit and his family.

Not that all cases are the same. Just feels like the direction a lot of recruitments seem to be going. We will know soon enough and the future appears to be bright. Go Duke!

One thing that stood out to me is that Julius understood Coach K to say that Coach K wanted Julius to be the "star" of that recruiting class. Whether Coach K actually said this or not, I can't imagine that the staff is thrilled for that to have been in the article (for Jabari reasons).

The article is a very interesting read, but I think it's impossible to tell who is "winning" the in-homes (and obviously "winning" the in-home battle is different from winning the recruiting war). Kentucky has such a clear niche right now that their in-home is probably less important for them than it is for some others. He pretty clearly was blown away by North Carolina and Duke.

I also wonder whether Baylor cleaned up the litter they left on Julius's front porch.

dukedoc
09-27-2012, 08:29 PM
The article is a very interesting read, but I think it's impossible to tell who is "winning" the in-homes (and obviously "winning" the in-home battle is different from winning the recruiting war).

The other thing to keep in mind is that this is an account of what happened filtered through the eyes and mind of Jason Jordan. His interest is in keeping as many fans as possible glued to his twitter feed and his articles and thus he is likely trying, to some extent, to make all the fan bases feel pretty good about their chances after reading their respective segments. He isn't reporting. He is weaving a narrative, so we need to take things with a grain of salt. Definitely interesting stuff, regardless.

J.Blink
09-27-2012, 10:32 PM
I give Roy credit in that he appears t really connect with the moms of the recruits; and has used that in his favor.

I thought the popular line was that K does well with strong mothers (or single mothers) while Roy did better with fathers?

No idea if there's any validity to this, though I've heard both Duke fans and Carolina fans repeat it.

JasonEvans
09-28-2012, 12:27 PM
One thing that stood out to me is that Julius understood Coach K to say that Coach K wanted Julius to be the "star" of that recruiting class. Whether Coach K actually said this or not, I can't imagine that the staff is thrilled for that to have been in the article (for Jabari reasons).

It has been mentioned by many folks that Duke probably does not have scholarship room for both Julius and Jabari. I believe it is our hope to sign one of them and we do not think we can sign both. I have no particular insight into whether this is true or not but it has been mentioned by many folks.

So, following that logic, if we get Randle he is the "star" of the class as we would not get Jabari. Similarly, getting Jabari would make him the "star" of the class as we would not get Randle.

Of course, we fans hope we can get both -- and I am sure K would gleefully find a way to fit them both in if they both wanted to come here -- but many seem to feel the odds of that are beyond slim.

-Jason "give us one of the two and I will be extremely happy!" Evans

thenameisbond
09-28-2012, 04:00 PM
I thought the popular line was that K does well with strong mothers (or single mothers) while Roy did better with fathers?

No idea if there's any validity to this, though I've heard both Duke fans and Carolina fans repeat it.

I thought it was the other way around.

dukedoc
09-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Didn't know where to put this.

John Calipari ‏@UKCoachCalipari
I told Jay-Z that I might get fined $50k for being in HIS locker room tonight. He said "I got you". #Lafamilia

I have several questions about this.

1) Does Cal really like Jay-Z's music or Drake's?
2) Does Jay-Z really care enough about Cal for Cal to hashtag "Lafamilia"?
3) Don't recruits realize that if they're really that good, then once they've achieved NBA glory they'll be able to hang out not only with Jay-Z but also with Beyonce?
4) And, perhaps most importantly, which celebrities should Coach K start hanging out with so he can name drop to appeal to the young populace? Taylor Swift? Bieber?

NSDukeFan
09-29-2012, 11:36 AM

I told Jay-Z that I might get fined $50k for being in HIS locker room tonight. He said "I got you". #Lafamilia

3) Don't recruits realize that if they're really that good, then once they've achieved NBA glory they'll be able to hang out not only with Jay-Z but also with Beyonce?
4) And, perhaps most importantly, which celebrities should Coach K start hanging out with so he can name drop to appeal to the young populace? Taylor Swift? Bieber?

1) Probably not, but it helps with recruiting
2) No
3) Maybe, but Cal is selling them his hipness right now
4) I would prefer LeBron, Durant, Jay Williams, Shane Battier, Grant Hill, etc., but I don't know what would work for the young populace

Cameron
09-29-2012, 11:46 AM

I thought it was the other way around.

I am sure that he is as equally effective a recruiter when it comes to winning over both the mothers and fathers of prospects, but it wouldn't surprise me if K naturally possessed a more inherent connection with strong-minded mothers as a result of K's own close-knit relationship that he shared with his strong-willed mother. The story of Emily Krzyzewski and the purse that she refused to voluntarily hand over to a gang member while being robbed in front of her children in the projects of Chicago comes to mind. For those who aren't familiar with the story, after the incident took place and Mrs. Krzyzewski had stood her ground in the face of possibly very grave danger just to save her purse, a young Michael Krzyzewski asked his mother why she didn't just let it go. She replied, "Because it's my purse."

Even to this day, after all of the wins, championships, records and transcendent moments of glory that have resulted in a career of coaching that will go down as perhaps the most accomplished the sport has ever known, K is more proud of that story of his mother saving her purse than of anything else he has experienced in his life. I still get tears and chills and the whole nine yards every time I hear him retell it. It's a beautiful story. And very powerful stuff. I imagine it translates wonderfully in the living rooms of those same kinds of hardworking, resolute mothers.

MCFinARL
09-29-2012, 11:58 AM

Is Duke recruiting 12-year-old girls now? ;)

Duke of Nashville
09-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Coach K doesn't go to celebrities for exposure. Celebrities come to him...

Indoor66
09-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Coach K doesn't go to celebrities for exposure. Celebrities come to him...

Kind of the Chuck Norris effect.

devildeac
09-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Kind of the Chuck Norris effect.

Probably more like the Patrick Davidson effect;).

Starter
09-30-2012, 12:23 PM

We touched on this a bit in the 2013 recruiting thread, but it'd be wishful thinking to believe this (http://l.yimg.com/lk/api/res/1.2/ygRqdARgbxsGR6lC5tw3Ag--/YXBwaWQ9eW1lZGlhO2g9NDA3O3c9NjEw/http://mit.zenfs.com/190/2011/03/Jay-Z-kentucky.jpg) doesn't have enormous value.

Or this (http://hiphopwired.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/drake-prince-cal.jpg). Rivers told me Drake's his absolute favorite last year, and he can't be alone in his peer group. (He also likes J. Cole, by the way, but said he comes in second because he reps UNC hard.)

4) I would prefer LeBron, Durant, Jay Williams, Shane Battier, Grant Hill, etc., but I don't know what would work for the young populace

We can't claim LeBron (http://stk.dimemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/LeBron-James.jpg).

Kobe, on the other hand, we absolutely can claim. And I actually think he resonates even more than LeBron with big-time recruits, at least based on the ones I've talked to.

Krzyzewski also has the Mannings, for whatever that's worth. I'm not sure how cool they are, but I know I got a kick out of seeing them at a game. And the Team USA stint has turned out to have crazy value. Everyone watched those games and saw him out there. I think that's why he's even in the mix for Towns, to whatever extent he actually is.

I mean, I kind of feel that Duke has an old money feel, while Calipari has brought Young Money (http://www.greedmontpark.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Young-Money.jpg) to Kentucky -- pun intended. You have to stay in the lane you're in. I loved that feeling when I was at Duke, that Cameron was like a museum. I'd probably dig the vibe at Kentucky, too, for different reasons. Both are effective with different sort of kids. The Randle article was interesting in showing their approaches. Krzyzewski has that living legend aspect to him that teenage recruits can dig, like how they all still identify with Jordan and wear the sneakers even though they might not have even seen him play live. Let's say we equate K to Jordan, Calipari to LeBron, and I think the aforementioned J. Cole puts it best (http://rapgenius.com/369660/J-cole-sideline-story/But-youll-never-play-me-like-lebron-vs-jordan-twenty-years-wonder-who-they-gone-say-was-more-important-both-changed-the-game-came-through-and-made-a-lane-whos-to-say-that-whos-greater-all-we-know-they-aint-the-same).

That said... if Krzyzewski wants to get himself photographed on a yacht or something with Rick Ross, I mean, I certainly wouldn't complain about that.

BD80
09-30-2012, 01:20 PM
... I kind of feel that Duke has an old money feel, while Calipari has brought Young Money (http://www.greedmontpark.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Young-Money.jpg) to Kentucky -- pun intended. You have to stay in the lane you're in. I loved that feeling when I was at Duke, that Cameron was like a museum. I'd probably dig the vibe at Kentucky, too, for different reasons. ...

nouveau riche That truly does describe cal. Think Rodney Dangerfield in Caddy Shack

It is somewhat ironic given that there is so much "old" money in Ky. Particularly around Louisville, but around Lexington too.

tommy
10-02-2012, 05:10 PM
What happens when a recruit cuts Duke from his list, like Julius Randle apparently did today? Does he have the courtesy and respect to call Coach K, or even Coach Capel, advise them of his decision, and tell them the reason why -- especially after all the positive vibes he and his mother have been sending, apparently, for all this time?

If not, is there any way the staff calls him, and asks, in effect, "Why? What happened to you saying x, y, and z right to our faces just a week ago in your house?"

I know that such a call would be futile, but still, I'm sure if the recruit doesn't call them to explain, the staff must be wondering what the hell has gone on here.

CLW
10-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Really "odd" to strike Duke off the list after such a "glowing" USA Today article. I guess that just goes to show you never know what is going on in the mind of a 17-19 year old.

Billy Dat
10-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Really "odd" to strike Duke off the list after such a "glowing" USA Today article. I guess that just goes to show you never know what is going on in the mind of a 17-19 year old.

Sometimes I think that the better a recruit talks about a coach to the press, the less chance there is that he's really interested.

Here's a hot-off-the-press Sports Illustrated piece about Cal's use of hip hop connections to woo/wow recruits:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/rob_dauster/10/02/John-Calipari-Jay-Z-recruiting/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a3

"That's not the only artist that Calipari is associated with, either. It's no secret how close Drake is to the program. The rapper has said publicly that the family atmosphere around the Kentucky program inspired him to return to school and get his GED. He received a 2012 national title ring. He's even being used as a recruiting tool by Calipari. Drake was an honorary coach at UK's alumni game and spoke with top recruit Julius Randle while at the game. That had enough of an effect on Randle that he wrote about it in a blog for USA Today, which isn't surprising: Randle admitted that Drake was one of his top three favorite rappers."

Son of Mojo
10-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Sometimes I think that the better a recruit talks about a coach to the press, the less chance there is that he's really interested.

Here's a hot-off-the-press Sports Illustrated piece about Cal's use of hip hop connections to woo/wow recruits:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/rob_dauster/10/02/John-Calipari-Jay-Z-recruiting/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a3

"That's not the only artist that Calipari is associated with, either. It's no secret how close Drake is to the program. The rapper has said publicly that the family atmosphere around the Kentucky program inspired him to return to school and get his GED. He received a 2012 national title ring. He's even being used as a recruiting tool by Calipari. Drake was an honorary coach at UK's alumni game and spoke with top recruit Julius Randle while at the game. That had enough of an effect on Randle that he wrote about it in a blog for USA Today, which isn't surprising: Randle admitted that Drake was one of his top three favorite rappers."

Whoa whoa whoa!!! DRAKE can get a national title ring but Seth Curry could not........? :confused:

sagegrouse
10-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Whoa whoa whoa!!! DRAKE can get a national title ring but Seth Curry could not........? :confused:

Seth Curry did get a ring, but his family, rather than Duke, paid for it. - sagegrouse

Starter
10-03-2012, 12:51 PM

Good article. Kind of gets at what I was saying, which is that like it or not, this is a genius move by Calipari. Let Drake tell you why (http://rapgenius.com/Drake-thank-me-now-lyrics#note-18332)...