PDA

View Full Version : Duke gets (more) digital

NovaScotian
09-25-2012, 11:07 PM
i'm assuming the team checked this out with the compliance officer to make sure it was ok, but how exactly is this ok?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-25-2012, 11:10 PM
i'm assuming the team checked this out with the compliance officer to make sure it was ok, but how exactly is this ok?

I assume it's like students getting laptops or athletes getting shoes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but lots of students get "supplies" for various classes and activities. I mean, tuition goes towards something, right?

Edouble
09-26-2012, 02:49 AM

I don't understand what your concern is. They give the equipment back at the end of the year.

moonpie23
09-26-2012, 07:37 AM

about the same as getting a "super special exactly the right sized mega clip board with attached sharpie"....no?

OldPhiKap
09-26-2012, 08:55 AM
FWIW, the football team is doing this too. (And first).

I don't see the concern; it is a digital playbook with the ability to break down videos along the lines the coaches want. It is a teaching tool that belongs to the University (I presume). If my firm gives me a laptop or smart phone to use, it's not income to declare -- it is the use of company property to further the corporate aims. Same is true here.

UrinalCake
09-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Several years ago the university started issuing iPods to all undergrads (the whole school, not just athletes). At the time they claimed it was a way to embrace the digital age by allowing students to listen to recorded lectures. I felt like it was an excuse to give kids a toy to play with. An article in the Chronicle described freshmen zoning out on the campus buses while listening to music rather than interacting with their peers. This was a real shame, as those dreaded east-west bus rides were a notable part of my undergrad experience.

As far as I know they only did this for a year or two. So color me skeptical about the benefits of free iPads. Digital playbooks? Really? I think it's far more likely they'll turn into devices for web surfing and social media.

Indoor66
09-26-2012, 11:50 AM
As far as I know they only did this for a year or two. So color me skeptical about the benefits of free iPads. Digital playbooks? Really? I think it's far more likely they'll turn into devices for web surfing and social media.

Well, 14 NFL teams (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/06/nfl-ipad-playbook_n_1862537.html)are using iPad playbooks, as well. Maybe it is a good idea - and the coming wave.

ChillinDuke
09-26-2012, 11:52 AM

It's not theirs, just like their dorm room isn't theirs.

I mean, how would the (or any) team make a decision like this without ensuring it doesn't violate rules/laws/physics?

- Chillin

cspan37421
09-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Several years ago the university started issuing iPods to all undergrads (the whole school, not just athletes). At the time they claimed it was a way to embrace the digital age by allowing students to listen to recorded lectures. I felt like it was an excuse to give kids a toy to play with. An article in the Chronicle described freshmen zoning out on the campus buses while listening to music rather than interacting with their peers. This was a real shame, as those dreaded east-west bus rides were a notable part of my undergrad experience.

I'm pretty confident that when the coaches tell them to review plays or game footage, they're going to use it to review plays or game footage. Will it also be used during down time for other things? Probably.

Having said that, I shared your skepticism about the iPods. Again, COULD it be used for educational purposes? Sure. Were they used for educational purposes? I don't know. My guess, probably a minority of the time. But worse ... the story about ignoring others on campus buses. I recall awhile back visiting Kenyon College with my DD. She had only visited larger, more well-known schools to that point, and I felt she needed to at least get a feel for what a small LAC was like. So we were up there, and one of the things they pointed out on our tour was that they had this "unwritten rule" that along the main path that bisects campus lengthwise, one is not to have earbuds in or talking on the phone. You are to be open to interaction with your fellow students. How closely do people adhere to this rule? I don't know, but that day, I didn't see anyone on that path lost in their MP3 player or iPhone. And we saw several students stop to interact with fellow students going in the opposite direction. Seems like a good ethos to me.

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-26-2012, 01:37 PM

Given the state of the art training facility and Nike equipment (oh and the paid tuition) that the players have access to, iPads are a tiny perk. Also, from the DBP videos of the guys playing NBA Jam a couple years ago, it seems like they all have already have iPads.

OldPhiKap
09-26-2012, 02:11 PM
The players can watch the coach's videos any time (and multiple times) instead of having to go down to the film room. And coaches can shoot them out to the players as soon as they are ready.

Color me positive.

fuse
09-26-2012, 02:16 PM
There is an article in the N&O (I think) that talks about the ipads being university property and that the athletes will be offered the opportunity to "buy out" the ipad at the end of the year at an established price.

Dukeface88
09-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Having said that, I shared your skepticism about the iPods. Again, COULD it be used for educational purposes? Sure. Were they used for educational purposes? I don't know. My guess, probably a minority of the time.

I came a year or two after the free IPods, but we still got them at a discounted rate. I actually used mine a ton in my foreign language classes (German, specifically) to record interview/conversation assignments and in writing class for peer reviews. I didn't use them as much for lectures; I did record Chemerinsky's conlaw classes though.

As far as web surfing and social media, most students already carry laptops around everywhere anywhere (or at least I did/do), so if they're inclined to do that they probably can already.

Billy Dat
09-26-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm pretty confident that when the coaches tell them to review plays or game footage, they're going to use it to review plays or game footage. Will it also be used during down time for other things? Probably.

Having said that, I shared your skepticism about the iPods. Again, COULD it be used for educational purposes? Sure. Were they used for educational purposes? I don't know. My guess, probably a minority of the time. But worse ... the story about ignoring others on campus buses. I recall awhile back visiting Kenyon College with my DD. She had only visited larger, more well-known schools to that point, and I felt she needed to at least get a feel for what a small LAC was like. So we were up there, and one of the things they pointed out on our tour was that they had this "unwritten rule" that along the main path that bisects campus lengthwise, one is not to have earbuds in or talking on the phone. You are to be open to interaction with your fellow students. How closely do people adhere to this rule? I don't know, but that day, I didn't see anyone on that path lost in their MP3 player or iPhone. And we saw several students stop to interact with fellow students going in the opposite direction. Seems like a good ethos to me.

This societal ship is sailing. As much as technology connects us, it is also driving us inward. I recall an anecdote about an established media mogul meeting Google co-founder Larry Page for the first time and throughout the introduction and start of the conversation, Page never took his eyes off his laptop. When said media mogul asked him to please make eye contact and cease multi-tasking, Page simply said, "No" and kept typing. This story doesn't stand in for all modern society, but it is instructive. I agree that media and device addiction is troubling, but I also see the generation coming up behind me at work completely at ease communicating electronically, rather than speaking, while sitting right next to each other. I think it's weird, but I also used to think the 50 year old at my first job who printed out and manually filed every email was weird. Who knows which habits evolution will favor? If Duke's squads being on iPads gives us a recruiting advantage, I could care less if they are used mostly for tweeting.

Newton_14
09-26-2012, 09:11 PM

Sorry but I think they are great. Coach Cut gave an overview on how they are used on this week's Coaches show. It is awesome. The Football versions have every play in the playbook, and a video of the play itself after the instructions. Players receive all of their schedules from practice, to travel, classes, etc They receive film from practice, and games, showing the good and the bad from their performance, things to work on, etc. All of their meetings, time, place, topics, etc. On the plane ride home from Stanford, Cut watched the entire game again on his I-Pad, making notes, plans for things to address, etc.

The players use their I-Pads for everything imaginable related to academics and football, and receive constant updates from game and practice film, changes in schedules, individual instruction, etc.

It will be the same concept for basketball players. No more binders with paper for the players to haul around. They are used as tools not toys, but Cut did say they allow the players to load their favorite music and Cut is big on music too. Loves it.

One neat thing is, should any I-Pad be lost or stolen, they can send a signal to remotely delete every piece of info on the machines.

It is a new world. Best to embrace it and use it to our advantage vs treating it as a bad thing.

ThePublisher
09-27-2012, 12:25 AM
It would have been a smart move to get them the Galaxy Note 10.1. Save the university money and get the kids a better device. The attached pen is very useful for a student taking notes, especially drawing out plays.