PDA

View Full Version : Jalen Rose Admits to Intentionally Hurting Kobe

cspan37421
09-25-2012, 06:02 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/33071/jalen-rose-admits-to-intentionally-hurting-kobe-bryan

None of this surprises me, actually.

From the horse's mouth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0T08-gJVcc&feature=player_embedded

my goodness - he actually seems proud of it, thinks it's funny, and wishes Kobe had been hurt worse. Sickening.

Bojangles4Eva
09-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Seems to me that he's not finding humor in what he actually did, but rather smiling in retrospect that it was the wrong thing to do, and now he's acknowledging it. I would much rather see this response then flat out denial, or encouragement. If anything he’s making fun of himself.

greybeard
09-26-2012, 02:30 AM
Dean Smith for years had his players, arms straight up, not contest jump shots, but instead take a step closer to the jumps shooter as the shooter was elevating, step in so close that it seemed the shooter would have to be concerned about whether he'd be in a cast the next day. If that spectre enters a shooter's mind even a little, the muscles around the eyes that draw the eyes down will start to constrict, to pull the eyes down ever, ever so slightly. A little known fact: movement of the eyes organizes the muscles of the body. You begin looking down a tinge and it makes lifting your arms and shoulder girdle a tinge more difficult, which is all it takes to throw off a shot. If potential injury grabs the shooters mind as he sees the step in begin, the entire rhythm of the shot is gone. Never understood why that wasn't a foul, actually a techical. What it definitely was was beneath Dean, only it wasn't. Brought Dean down from his tower for me. I had no use for him after that. I held his players in low esteem for having followed his instructions. Sometimes, "I was just following orders," doesn't cut it.

To me, Jalen's admission of occasional use of that tactic, with the intent to injure, is nothing to smile at. He's an idiot for doing it, and worse for grinning and making light of the fact that he did. He wasn't an iconic coach, however. What he did was far less unacceptable than Dean's coaching players how to use the step in as a "defensive tactic" built on instilling fear. That was really freakin unacceptable. I have never heard or read his having been called out for it. If I am, glad to be the first.

Chicken Little
09-26-2012, 03:10 AM
To me, Jalen's admission of occasional use of that tactic, with the intent to injure, is nothing to smile at. He's an idiot for doing it, and worse for grinning and making light of the fact that he did.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm not naive to the fact that some terrible things occur in sports, and are understood to be the 'part of the game'(what happens in the pile of a fumble in football is the stuff of nightmares), but this is absurd. Rose just strikes me as an immature guy who never grew up...a sad situation for someone with so much talent. Not going to knock down an easy target, but if you look at the recent trajectory of Rose's "newsworthy" stories next to the career trajectory of a guy like Grant Hill(and his ankle), you really can draw your own conclusions. Some people aren't worth the vitriol they deserve.

Indoor66
09-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Some people aren't worth the vitriol they deserve.

A beautifully succinct statement of my reaction. Rose shows himself to be a dirtbag, to go low brow.

grossbus
09-26-2012, 12:05 PM
he did it once.

bruce bowen made a career out of it. despicable