PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 9-25-12

jimsumner
09-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Nothing earth-shattering today. Some guys are banged up. I'm told Butler did practice. We'll know more Thursday.

Cut was asked if the coaches were reminding the players of Duke's recent history v. Wake. His response was that they didn't have to. The players were talking about it enough on their own. Obviously, these guys don't have much of an investment in what happened during the Franks/Roof days. But not one of them has ever defeated Wake and they are keenly aware of it. Keenly.

Cut said Wake kept beating Duke because they do a better job of managing mistakes, especially in the kicking game.

Cut called the -4 turnover differential v. Memphis "devastating to what we believe in." Said Duke worked on ball security today "with an edge." Reminded Butler that the "first responsibility of all great punt returners is to possess the ball." Said the Snead and Thompson fumbles were a result of being in a hurry and that Renfree's elbow was bumped on the pick-six. And that was on a three-step drop.

"I believe we'll be a 100% better in ball security this week." Cut.

Cut said Max McCaffrey was having his best practices yet. Took away his rookie card.

Said Jela Duncan has "ignited us more than once." Cut likes his ball security. Still says Duke will not feature one back.

RE: fake punt and on-side kicks. Gives opponents something extra to think about. Feels that opposing kick return units will be forced to hesitate until they are sure that Duke is kicking deep and that should pay dividends down the road. Cut implied that Duke has more tricks in its bag.

Connette is first Duke player since 2000 (D Bryant and Ben Erdeljac) to run for a TD, throw a TD and catch a TD in the same season.

Cockrell noted how difficult it was to prepare for a lefty QB, i.e. Price, because everything is reversed and Duke doesn't have a lefty on the scout team.

Cockrell, re: Wake " 'bout time for us to get one." Seemed pretty serious.

Dez Johnson talked about Duke's improved ability to handle QB scampers. Says Duke has been over-eager on occasion and it comes down to discipline. Don't overrun the QB and do force him back into the middle.

Johnson re losing streak against Wake-"It's motivation, the fuel that you use to push you throughout the game."

Bob Green
09-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Cut implied that Duke has more tricks in its bag.

There is no better time to break out the tricks than the next two weeks. The games at Wake Forest and home versus Virginia are critical and will define the season moving forward so let's break open the playbook, pull out all the stops and unleash the offense!

-bdbd
09-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Re. Wake:

WE ARE DUE !!! :mad:

OldPhiKap
09-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Said Jela Duncan has "ignited us more than once."

I wanted to give a special shout out to Jela, who also looked very good when he was in against NCCU as well.

Duke_92
09-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Bought my tickets today. I want to be there for the end of the streak. Go Duke.

Native
09-25-2012, 07:56 PM
We Are Duke, and We Are Due.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-25-2012, 08:19 PM
I wanted to give a special shout out to Jela, who also looked very good when he was in against NCCU as well.

Jela is a fast, talented back. Jela and Josh as a tandem, or alternating to spell each other, could be devastating! :cool: