PDA

View Full Version : DUMB Improvement

vabluedevil
09-23-2012, 12:27 PM
I just wanted to give a shout out to the Duke University Marching Band.

Their sound is certainly bigger than in past years and their half time show is quite enjoyable. I know from my small experience with marching bands that DUMB spends many hours to get that sound and show on the field! Many thanks guys!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-23-2012, 12:45 PM
I just wanted to give a shout out to the Duke University Marching Band.

Their sound is certainly bigger than in past years and their half time show is quite enjoyable. I know from my small experience with marching bands that DUMB spends many hours to get that sound and show on the field! Many thanks guys!

You are absolutely right! A wonderful way to recognize and encourage more improvement in our band is to participate in the band fundraiser http://www.dumbfund.org/.

This group is part of the athletic department now and receives little financial support to carry out their mission, quite a contrast to many marching bands in other colleges and universities. In many ways, the marching band is in a building mode just as is the football program. Even small contributions can make a difference for the band program.:cool:

Newton_14
09-24-2012, 08:46 PM
I agree. They have made great strides in just the last 3 years alone. Great sound and more bodies. Good to see. Keep on rockin DUMB....

dukebsbll14
09-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Bring back 'Hey Baby'....

PumpkinFunk
09-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Bring back 'Hey Baby'....

I sent you a private message with a few ideas for how to get that song back... needless to say, it takes a bit of an effort to get it played again.

Dukeface88
09-26-2012, 02:16 PM
I sent you a private message with a few ideas for how to get that song back... needless to say, it takes a bit of an effort to get it played again.

Wait, DUMB stopped playing "Hey Baby"? Why did they do that?

PumpkinFunk
09-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Wait, DUMB stopped playing "Hey Baby"? Why did they do that?

The short version is that the director is not especially fond of the song, the people who loved the song and forced DUMB to play it graduated over the past few years, the new DUMB members are not as in love with it as we were, the Crazies aren't either, and, especially at basketball games, it can be a real mood-killer if it's played at the wrong time. (Even as a "Hey Baby" proponent, I have to admit the last point is entirely true)

Indoor66
09-27-2012, 10:21 AM
... it can be a real mood-killer if it's played at the wrong time. (Even as a "Hey Baby" proponent, I have to admit the last point is entirely true)

It is sooooo 2002.

dukebsbll14
09-27-2012, 01:35 PM
...it can be a real mood-killer if it's played at the wrong time. (Even as a "Hey Baby" proponent, I have to admit the last point is entirely true)

Which is why we could play it in the early non-conference games when we're up by six thousand...

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-29-2012, 12:57 PM
The band is playing at the Wake game today!:cool:

PumpkinFunk
09-29-2012, 01:04 PM
The band is playing at the Wake game today!:cool:

They're louder than the Wake band. And they sound significantly better. Although, to be fair to the past few years of DUMB graduates, that has been true for years. Wake's band is by far the worst-sounding in the ACC.