PDA

View Full Version : The Dozen-year Beat Wake Forest Vigil - (also the game thread)

OldPhiKap
09-22-2012, 10:11 PM
We have been snakebite in these games for I don't know how long. Time to put this behind us and move to 4-1!!!

loran16
09-22-2012, 11:38 PM
We have been snakebite in these games for I don't know how long. Time to put this behind us and move to 4-1!!!

Agreed. Just....don't leave it to Field Goal kicking please, guys? I have nightmares of that and wake.

mkline09
09-23-2012, 01:03 AM
Agreed. Just....don't leave it to Field Goal kicking please, guys? I have nightmares of that and wake.

In Ross Martin I Trust. Dude has been solid and aside from a couple botched holds, he has only missed one kick. I am almost not nervous anymore on kicks.

loran16
09-23-2012, 11:23 AM
For what it's worth, Jeff Sagarin's Predictor rating has Duke at #89, while Wake is at #107 in the country. In other words, there's no excuse for not being at least in this game.

Bob Green
09-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Wake Forest opens as a 3 point favorite:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

Taking an oversimplistic look at the stats reveals Duke is fourth in the ACC in Scoring Offense averaging 37.8 points per game, while Wake Forest is 10th at 24.2 ppg. On the defensive side of the ball, Duke is 9th in Scoring Defense allowing 26.8 ppg and Wake Forest is dead last at 33.2 ppg. I'll take a 35-25 Duke victory on Saturday afternoon in Winston-Salem. :D

Seriously, this game is huge!

OldPhiKap
09-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Wake Forest opens as a 3 point favorite:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

Taking an oversimplistic look at the stats reveals Duke is fourth in the ACC in Scoring Offense averaging 37.8 points per game, while Wake Forest is 10th at 24.2 ppg. On the defensive side of the ball, Duke is 9th in Scoring Defense allowing 26.8 ppg and Wake Forest is dead last at 33.2 ppg. I'll take a 35-25 Duke victory on Saturday afternoon in Winston-Salem. :D

Seriously, this game is huge!

Looks like Vegas figures the game is a push, with home field going to Wake. Time for the first big road win of the year!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Looks like Vegas figures the game is a push, with home field going to Wake. Time for the first big road win of the year!
Wake's got a few names to watch out for.... Nikita Whitlock is a tough NG; missed some play earlier in the season following an injury, a leader on the field. Michael Campanaro has had a good start with a number of receptions, perhaps working on some records. We already know about Tanner Price.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Let's play a complete game and beat those sumI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es! :cool: I'm tired of losing to them by a couple of points!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Let's play a complete game and beat those sumI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es! :cool: I'm tired of losing to them by a couple of points!
Our kicker's better than any Wake's got. If it comes down to a field goal, we've got the guy to do it.:cool:

CameronBornAndBred
09-23-2012, 08:26 PM
In July I agreed to do a painting workshop next weekend. That far in advance, they could only tell me the workshops were in 2 hour blocks....so I agreed only as long as they could give me a morning session.
Saturday I'll be teaching folks in the wonderful ways of watercolor from 10 til noon, if anyone has any questions at 12:03 I suggest they come back for the Sunday workshop. Either that or they better have a TV on hand and ask between commercials.
This game is long overdue to be a victory.

-bdbd
09-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Agree with Cameron: WE ARE DUE.....

Wake hasn't been very consistent either. It'll be interesting to see which Wake squad shows up.
In any event, I expect a good game. This is a very important opportunity for this program.

We are due!!!!!
:mad:

hq2
09-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Has it really been 12 years since Duke has beaten Wake in football?
THAT says something about the state of Duke football in the last decade!

sagegrouse
09-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Has it really been 12 years since Duke has beaten Wake in football?
THAT says something about the state of Duke football in the last decade!

In the past 12 years, Wake has had 20 players selected in the NFL draft, which, except for Duke, is the lowest in the ACC. Duke has had ONE PLAYER DRAFTED IN 12 YEARS -- one-twentieth as many as Wake. Do you think there has been a difference in talent?

sagegrouse

throatybeard
09-23-2012, 10:45 PM
In the past 12 years, Wake has had 20 players selected in the NFL draft, which, except for Duke, is the lowest in the ACC. Duke has had ONE PLAYER DRAFTED IN 12 YEARS -- one-twentieth as many as Wake. Do you think there has been a difference in talent?

sagegrouse

That is beyond sobering. I mean, it makes me want to not be sober.

Who was the one. Was it VO?

Acymetric
09-23-2012, 11:31 PM
That is beyond sobering. I mean, it makes me want to not be sober.

Who was the one. Was it VO?

Decided to fact check myself...it was Drew Strojny in 2004. Chris Combs was also drafted in 2000.

gofurman
09-24-2012, 12:38 AM
Decided to fact check myself...it was Drew Strojny in 2004. Chris Combs was also drafted in 2000.

That IS sobering: my Furman Paladins in 1AA (22 less scholarships) have had more drafted (and only one was a 7th rounder):

2009 NFL
League Round Ovl Player Pos Team
NFL 5 138 William Middleton CB Atlanta Falcons
2008 NFL
NFL 5 146 Jerome Felton FB Detroit Lions
2006 NFL
NFL 5 148 Ingle Martin QB Green Bay Packers
2000 NFL
NFL 4 108 John Keith S San Francisco 49ers
NFL 7 208 Desmond Kitchings WR Kansas City Chiefs

*I will say I heard one guy on this NFL list (Jerome Felton stil active and playing with the Vikings I think) actually came down to Furman or Duke (obviously the two schools I pull for - FU Football and Duke basketball, though I keep a watch on Duke football hoping for a bowl game!). His decision, as he said I think in the local paper was made of this ---- do I want to go 8-3 and be on powerful 1AA team who has won a national title at the 1AA level (and played in 3 national title games) or do I go 3-8 and have a bigger atmosphere, bigger rivals, but no chance to play postseason/championship.

I have a feeling that is how Furman,etc gets a few from Duke-level. No doubt Duke is better now under Cutcliffe and better than my 63 scholly Paladins, this was just an actual verbalization of something I long suspected as to how we get a few 1A level guys... obviously, if we have a few going pro, they could have played anywhere.

*Anyway, beat Wake! (My FU guys arent good this year... rebuilding from a prior coach )

CDu
09-24-2012, 09:46 AM
This is an absolute must-win game for us if we have any hope of becoming bowl eligible. Wake hasn't looked good yet this year, squeaking by Liberty, UNC, and Army and getting pasted by FSU. Wake and then UVa are very beatable, and we need to be at 5-1 when we hit the slaughterhouse portion of the schedule (@VT, UNC, @FSU, Clemson, @GT). Even if we're 5-1, we'll likely still have at least 5 losses by the time we reach the season finale in Durham against Miami.

94duke
09-24-2012, 10:59 AM

Couple of points, indeed. In five of the last six years, we have lost by a touchdown or less!

Year Result Margin

2011 Home L 23 - 24 1
2010 Away L 48 - 54 6
2009 Home L 34 - 45 11
2008 Away L 30 - 33 (OT) 3
2007 Home L 36 - 41 5
2006 Away L 13 - 14 1
2005 Home L 6 - 44 38
2004 Away L 22 - 34 12
2003 Home L 13 - 42 29
2002 Away L 10 - 36 26
2001 Home L 35 - 42 7
2000 Away L 26 - 28 2
1999 Home W 48 - 35 +13

Go Duke!!

DukeSean
09-24-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm not sure whether I want us to win in blowout fashion or win by a few for sweet revenge. I'm veering towards the former.

Hopefully we'll have straightened out our giveaways by Saturday, and maybe see a few takeaways of our own. I'm putting in the call for a Cockrell INT right now.

BEAT WAKE!

CameronBornAndBred
09-24-2012, 11:49 AM
The biggest thing in my mind is that we don't start slow. The team knows they don't want to wait until the second quarter or second half either. I was talking to Robert Vernon in the parking lot before the game on Saturday, he stressed that is an issue...I can only imagine the number of eyes rolling on the field and in the stands waiting for us once again to kick things into gear.
Starting slow against NCCU and Memphis is one thing, but as Stanford proved starting slow against a higher caliber team can be a killer. I don't want to watch us having to try to play catch up.

DukeSean
09-24-2012, 12:23 PM
The biggest thing in my mind is that we don't start slow. The team knows they don't want to wait until the second quarter or second half either. I was talking to Robert Vernon in the parking lot before the game on Saturday, he stressed that is an issue...I can only imagine the number of eyes rolling on the field and in the stands waiting for us once again to kick things into gear.
Starting slow against NCCU and Memphis is one thing, but as Stanford proved starting slow against a higher caliber team can be a killer. I don't want to watch us having to try to play catch up.

I wonder if our players are getting too mentally amped at the beginning of games and tense up as a result. At halftime against Memphis, Cut had to try to get his players to have fun, relax, and insisted that the plays would happen if they did. And things obviously started picking up.

I hope our team doesn't get too worried at this point about making a bowl game, even if we fans are. Take Wake one play at a time, relax, and the plays should come.

throatybeard
09-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Note that when we beat them in 1999, we got out to a 34-0 lead...which we almost blew.

Last time we beat Wake Forest in football, Mike Krzyzewski had "just" two national championship rings. Bill Clinton was President. I was still doing an MA. Pacey and Joey hadn't gotten together on Dawson's Creek yet.

This needs to change.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Nikita Whitlock is a key player for Wake. He's missed 2 games because of an ankle injury. According to this article by Dan Collins of the WS Journal, Whitlock says he's ready to play in Saturday's game. http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/college/teams/wfu/

Bob Green
09-26-2012, 11:20 AM
There are lots of Duke Football articles in the local media due to this week's huge game against Wake Forest:

Here is nice article on Conner Vernon who needs six catches to become the ACC's All Time leading receiver:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/25/2369731/acc-receiving-record-about-to.html

The defense is much improved this season:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/24/2366938/duke-defense-led-by-line-improves.html

And, in the "as much fun as a poke in the eye with a sharp stick" category, here is a look at Duke's 12 game losing streak to Wake Forest:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/25/2368476/wake-looks-for-13th-straight-win.html

Moving over to the Winston-Salem Journal, it appears Nose Tackle Nikita Whitlock will play this Saturday against Duke:

http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/mytakeonwake/index/

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2012/sep/26/2/wssport01-whitlock-says-hell-play-against-duke-ar-2639082/

Scorp4me
09-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Pacey and Joey hadn't gotten together on Dawson's Creek yet.

So you're saying it was a happier time

subzero02
09-26-2012, 04:13 PM
We are 3 point underdogs.... a win on Saturday will make me a chipper chappy

peloton
09-26-2012, 11:26 PM
We are 3 point underdogs....

Good. Heck, I wish we were bigger underdogs in everyone's minds going into this game. If we can run the ball reasonably well, keep the mistakes to a minimum, and the defense comes to play, I see no reason why we can't pull out a victory. Sure, Wake has had our number for more years than we care to admit (hats off to Jim Grobe and his program), but obviously several of these games could have gone either way. This is a statement game to say the least...we win our first ACC game (on the road no less) and we prove to a plethora of folks (yes, maybe even the Duke team and fans themselves) that this team is for real. This win could be a legitimate stepping stone to greater things...and possibly this season.

Let's go Duke! It's time to beat the Deacs in their own backyard; seize the opportunity and grab this victory!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Steve Wiseman of the Durham Herald discusses Wake's 2 big playmakers. http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/20283629/article-Duke-preparing-for-Wake-s-playmakers?:cool:

riverside6
09-28-2012, 09:39 AM
A lot of you guys have used my Game Sim in basketball (last season it beat the spread about 60%) of the time. Recently, I created a football game sim and it now has enough data on the season that it can start to predict games. Here's my article on this weekend's ACC conference games, including Duke and Wake Forest. I have a feeling you'll like the prediction.

http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_NewsBreaker_External.asp?NB=7607

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-28-2012, 08:42 PM
For those headed to WS for the game tomorrow, be advised that the Dixie classic Fair started today. The fair grounds are adjacent to the football stadium. Traffic and bottlenecks may be exasperating!

jlear
09-28-2012, 09:42 PM

sagegrouse

How many players on the current team have a legitimate chance of being drafted?

Duke of Nashville
09-28-2012, 11:12 PM
How many players on the current team have a legitimate chance of being drafted?

No Doubters:
Conner Vernon
Ross Crockrell

Cut has said that Renfree has NFL potential...TBD

We have had some success out of players being signed undrafted...(all still in the league) http://www.pro-football-reference.com/colleges/duke/

Thadious Lewis
Eron Riley
Vincent Ray
Patrick Bailey

Our last drafted player was Drew Strojny(2004) then Chris Combs (2000) then Lennie Friedman(1999) and before that Patrick Mannelly (1998) 7th, 6th, 2nd and 6th round respectively. All of these players are Linemen and am not sure which ones are still active.

Go Duke

Duke of Nashville
09-28-2012, 11:33 PM
No Doubters:
Conner Vernon
Ross Crockrell

Cut has said that Renfree has NFL potential...TBD

We have had some success out of players being signed undrafted...(all still in the league) http://www.pro-football-reference.com/colleges/duke/

Thadious Lewis
Eron Riley
Vincent Ray
Patrick Bailey

Our last drafted player was Drew Strojny(2004) then Chris Combs (2000) then Lennie Friedman(1999) and before that Patrick Mannelly (1998) 7th, 6th, 2nd and 6th round respectively. All of these players are Linemen and am not sure which ones are still active.

Go Duke

Jamison Crowder has a shot too but he is only 16 games into his career...

OZZIE4DUKE
09-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Let's go DUKE! Beat the Deacs!

Julio, our record is 3 - 1, not 3 - 0. Like the UVA basketball game, losing to Stanford is one that will not be forgotten! :cool:

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Rain and thunderstorms began to roll through the area at O dark 30 this morning. Rain has continued throughout the day so far, heavy at times. While the chances of precipitation go down to about 40% while the game will be played, it's going to be a soggy day for tailgating and football. With the Dixie Classic Fair next door, there may be wet mayhem in the parking lots.

PumpkinFunk
09-29-2012, 10:11 AM
This losing streak has gone on for far too long. The past 5 years have had some incredibly painful losses. This game will be the single best showing of whether we can get over the hump and get to a bowl game, and I believe we can do it.

Indoor66
09-29-2012, 11:08 AM
In South Florida - Comcast - SunSports is carrying the Idaho - unc debaucle instead of the Duke - Wake game. I will check again at game time to see if they came to their senses.... :cool:

awhom111
09-29-2012, 11:48 AM
In South Florida - Comcast - SunSports is carrying the Idaho - unc debaucle instead of the Duke - Wake game. I will check again at game time to see if they came to their senses.... :cool:

As a reminder, here are the stations showing the game:
http://www.theacc.com/live/2012-acc-football-match-center-duke-at-wake-forest.html

OldPhiKap
09-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Chores are done, time to settle in and watch it happen. LET'S GO DUKE!!!!

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Let's go duke!!!

Beat wake!!!

hudlow
09-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Great first possession.
Good mix of plays.

ThePublisher
09-29-2012, 12:52 PM
I can't find this to watch. It's not on tv, yet it's blacked out on espn3.

Ugh....

CameronBornAndBred
09-29-2012, 12:54 PM

Ugh....
I live in New Bern and not on (direc)TV. ACC network sux.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-29-2012, 12:56 PM

Ugh....

It's on the High Point Channel... Fox8 . Being broadcast on Time Warner in WS.

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Great offensive resiliency by Duke, TD Connette!

ChrisP
09-29-2012, 01:06 PM
I don't have access to a TV, so I just followed the link to the ACC Network from GoDuke.com. Not hi-def quality but it's decent. Hope this helps some of the folks who can't find the game.

Wander
09-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Wake couldn't tackle our guys if their lives depended on it. That's the biggest factor in the game right now.

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 01:16 PM
man, I love watching Jela Duncan with the ball. Makes people miss, keeps his feet moving for those crucial extra yards.

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Wake couldn't tackle our guys if their lives depended on it. That's the biggest factor in the game right now.

Part of that is the wetness on the field. Bigger part, IMO, is that we are making them miss tackles.

CameronBornAndBred
09-29-2012, 01:22 PM
I don't have access to a TV, so I just followed the link to the ACC Network from GoDuke.com. Not hi-def quality but it's decent. Hope this helps some of the folks who can't find the game.

Thanks, you rock!
http://www.theacc.com/live/

ChrisP
09-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Well, THAT was a terrible series. Great punt by Monday, though. I guess for Duke FB, the screen pass is kinda like the 3 point shot for the Bball team. Live by it and die by it. I am always amazed at how we can lose yardage on pass plays. One or two is ok, I guess, but that nine yard loss killed that drive from the get-go. Even so, Vernon had a great chance to move the chains but just couldn't hang on.

Dukehky
09-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Hate to see anybody get hurt, but with Campanero out of the game, Wake loses a HUGE part of its offense. If today's not the day, I don't know when it will be.

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Better team so far, but that does not necessarily add up to a win. Duke still looking strong. I've got to say that the well intentioned gentleman calling plays for Duke on offense has little aptitude or acquired wisdom for this task. In a game where you are running effectively, throwing a pass behind the line of scrimmage on second and four is unforgivable. It created the potential and reality of third and long. Duke defense looks strong given the wet track. So far, Wake not getting the big play they need. Duke is breaking more tackles in this game Than some seasons. Playing with real determination.

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 01:42 PM
The offensive player grabbed Butler's shoulder, and I think Butler thought he was being blocked on a running play, so he grabbed back.

Is a receiver allowed to grab a defensive player upfield like that? Shouldn't that be a penalty on the offensive player? Hasn't Duke been called for that many times since 1994?

Not sure of the rules, but the Wake receiver caught the pass anyway.

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Better team so far, but that does not necessarily add up to a win. Duke still looking strong. I've got to say that the well intentioned gentleman calling plays for Duke on offense has little aptitude or acquired wisdom for this task. In a game where you are running effectively, throwing a pass behind the line of scrimmage on second and four is unforgivable. It created the potential and reality of third and long. Duke defense looks strong given the wet track. So far, Wake not getting the big play they need. Duke is breaking more tackles in this game Than some seasons. Playing with real determination.

I thought our back just went the wrong way.

Man another bad snap from Moore.

ChrisP
09-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Bummer. Hope the D can step up and keep Wake off the board before half.

ChrisP
09-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Drive by Wake? Ummm...I got some news for the announcers - Duke has also scored a TD in this game. And what about the drive where Renfree threw a bullet to convert it on 3rd and 26!?

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Good first half. Half time coaching adjustments and turnovers will determine this game.

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Drive by Wake? Ummm...I got some news for the announcers - Duke has also scored a TD in this game. And what about the drive where Renfree threw a bullet to convert it on 3rd and 26!?

That was a fantastic pass, but the conversion happened when Scott took the reception and tacked on enough for the 1st down after breaking a tackle or two. Scott has been a great asset as a WR. He has definitely put my mind to rest on that position change.

Dukehky
09-29-2012, 02:03 PM
The offensive player grabbed Butler's shoulder, and I think Butler thought he was being blocked on a running play, so he grabbed back.

Is a receiver allowed to grab a defensive player upfield like that? Shouldn't that be a penalty on the offensive player? Hasn't Duke been called for that many times since 1994?

Not sure of the rules, but the Wake receiver caught the pass anyway.

They made the call because Butler did not turn to look at the ball. You can't face guard in college anymore, you have to make an attempt to locate and subsequently make a play on the ball.

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 02:15 PM
oh man....Cofield has not been good today. big holding penalty on a would-be 3rd and long conversion...

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Nasty move to pull Jela's helmet off!

blazindw
09-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Face mask blew the play dead when he was on his way to score. Uuugghh!

EDIT: Connette!! TD!!

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Gotta love a six minute TD Drive to open the second half.

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Looking good Duke!

peloton
09-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Keep the pressure on, Devils! This game's far from over (as we know from previous games with the Deacs) but I certainly like what I'm seeing. Could we developing a running game?! Let's go Duke! Time for the defense to show their stuff.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Face mask blew the play dead when he was on his way to score. Uuugghh!

EDIT: Connette!! TD!!

In the past, some have called out Wake for chop blocks. Looks like face mask violations is a new trend for them.

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Three and out! The next possession is key for Duke. We make a statement with any points on the this drive.

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Hand around Vernon's waist before the ball comes and no call, good punt to Wake's 2.

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 02:36 PM
I'd like to see us run on third and two!!

peloton
09-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Man, our kicking game is in very good hands for the next few years!

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 02:39 PM
3rd and 9 and burned on a well-designed pass and run.

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 02:40 PM
I'd like to see us run on third and two!!

Agreed that was a dumb time to pass.

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 02:40 PM
By Harris

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 02:42 PM
By Harris

Maybe not

Dukehky
09-29-2012, 02:42 PM
By Harris

Can't challenge once it's ruled down.

cbarry
09-29-2012, 02:43 PM
By Harris
Yup. Just replayed it in my Tivo-- Ball was clearly out before the Wake guy hit the ground at about 4:30 in the 3rd Q. We should have challenged it.

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Maybe not

Are these replacement officials?

Whatever, gives our D some time to recover, it's warm and humid...

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Can't challenge once it's ruled down.

Good policy to challenge so you can be told you can't. Let's them know they owe you one

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 02:47 PM
twice burned on 3rd and long...we need the O to step up here, get some first downs, and respond.

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Getting smoked on 3rd downs by a team that had converted 38% before today dangit!

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 02:48 PM
To give up a touchdown. Nothing from the front and what looked like two guys out of position in the secondary.

Dukehky
09-29-2012, 02:49 PM
well, thats not what we needed...

ChrisP
09-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Ugh, I hope the wheels aren't coming off! Jeez, c'mon guys! Gotta play 4 full quarters! Stay focused!

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Major momentum shift on the Renfree hit. Hope he's OK. Sarmiento too.

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 02:50 PM
But also Duke suddenly playing soft. Not sure we have the team leadership to step up here.

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 02:51 PM
To give up a touchdown. Nothing from the front and what looked like two guys out of position in the secondary.

Cockrell knocked his receiver OOB, the other guys were trying to leap for an interception and were thus out of position. Wish we had blitzed.

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 02:52 PM
well at least we held them to FG. We need to chew some time on the clock and score. Momentum is all with Wake.

Sixthman
On third and two at the ten was a good sign.

Dukehky
huge hold there

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 02:55 PM
On to the 4th Q.

How about a play for Jela Duncan?

ChrisP
09-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Nothing against Boone, but man, I hope Renfree is going to be able to come back in before this one's over. Man, this is a very winnable game - come on Duke!!!

Dukehky
09-29-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm really not sure that Duke is capable of winning this game without Renfree.

ChrisP
09-29-2012, 03:01 PM
O-line really having a tough time today. Or, is Wake's D really this good?

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Wake players seem unjustifiably cocky. Duke seems, now, soft, and unprepared for what they are bringing.

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 03:02 PM
We still can't control LOS well enough to set the running game loose.

duke09hms
09-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Wake players seem unjustifiably cocky. Duke seems, now, soft, and unprepared for what they are bringing.

Because they know they have our number.
This is our first close game, we haven't been here before. Wake has been in a few dogfights already and come out on top (Liberty, UNC, Army).

peloton
09-29-2012, 03:04 PM
C'mon Duke...this is anyone's game; time to dig deep and demonstrate some intensity - let's show some intestinal fortitude! This game isn't over by a longshot.

duke09hms
09-29-2012, 03:05 PM
To win, we're going to need to come up with a big play on defense to shift the momentum.
Don't see us winning with our Renfree-less offense unless something changes drastically.

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Because they know they have our number.
This is our first close game, we haven't been here before. Wake has been in a few dogfights already and come out on top (Liberty, UNC, Army).

Wake is running the same cutback to the left, over and over.

ChrisP
09-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Sweet!!! Way to go D!!! Now let's take advantage and put it in the end zone baby!

Wander
Without Renfree, pretty sure we need a big defense or special teams play to win this one.

Sixthman
Big turn over

duke09hms
09-29-2012, 03:07 PM
To win, we're going to need to come up with a big play on defense to shift the momentum.
Don't see us winning with our Renfree-less offense unless something changes drastically.

One sack fumble recovery later, I AM A PROPHET!! JDO and Jon Woodruff!!

LETS GO DUKE!!

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 03:07 PM
YES! C'mon LETS GO!

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 03:08 PM
That's bringing it . Touchdown Duke!

peloton
09-29-2012, 03:09 PM
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!

ChrisP
09-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Great fake by Boone and way to dive for the sticks. Now, what the heck is that penalty about???

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Penalty on Boone for being TOO AWESOME!

peloton
09-29-2012, 03:10 PM
DEFENSE! DEFENSE!! Let's grab this win, Devils!!

burnspbesq
09-29-2012, 03:11 PM

You rang?

duke09hms
09-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Was gonna say: huge series for the defense right here, but that's true of every play the rest of the way.
Cmon DUKE!

Wander
09-29-2012, 03:17 PM
For those who didn't notice: Georgia Tech is gonna lose at home to Middle Tennessee State. Makes the brutal 2nd half of our schedule seem just a tiny bit easier.

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Great defense right there, making wake punt! Anunike all over the place

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 03:18 PM
I'll take a repeat of that six minute drive we opened the second half with.

duke09hms
09-29-2012, 03:19 PM
WHY IN THE WORLD do we have Connor Vernon returning punts? If he ever does not call for a fair catch . . . ridiculous.

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Let's pound the ball on the ground, chew some more clock, and SCORE

peloton
Let's go offense...need to produce here. We need 7 if at all possible; I think Anthony has the confidence.

duke09hms
Let's go offense...need to produce here. We need 7 if at all possible; I think Anthony has the confidence.

I'll take any score to make it a 2 possession game . . .

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 03:21 PM
WHY IN THE WORLD do we have Connor Vernon returning punts? If he ever does not call for a fair catch . . . ridiculous.

Rainy day secure hands

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Phantom holding call on first down

Wander
09-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Boone is scaring me to death with these throws as he's getting tackled...

duke09hms
09-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Rainy day secure hands

Yea I agree, I just hope he's calling for a fair catch every time, can't risk an injury to Vernon.

A-Tex Devil
09-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Can't get ESPN3 here and unable to stream. Bring it home boys...

Instead, while following this thread, I am watching WVU-Baylor which has embarrassingly exceeded expectations. 63-56 WVU with 10:49 left in the 4th quarter. WVU broke twice after Baylor scored on the opening drive, and that will probably be the difference. Geno Smith has >550 yards and has 2 receivers with >200 yards.

I can't remember a game like this. Ever.

JasonEvans
09-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Love going for it on 4th and 1...

...someone castrate that TE who jumped offsides!!!

-Jason

duke09hms
Duke football - false start on 4th and inches.

Sixthman
False start on four and inches

ChrisP
Can't get ESPN3 here and unable to stream. Bring it home boys...

Instead, while following this thread, I am watching WVU-Baylor which has embarrassingly exceeded expectations. 63-56 WVU with 10:49 left in the 4th quarter. WVU broke twice after Baylor scored on the opening drive, and that will probably be the difference. Geno Smith has >550 yards and has 2 receivers with >200 yards.

I can't remember a game like this. Ever.

You can see the game streaming on the ACC network. There's a link somewhere in this thread (maybe page 3) or just go to GoDuke.com and follow the link there.

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 03:28 PM
man, huge false start penalty on Reeves on 4th and inches, forcing us to punt instead. In all honesty, I wanted us to punt rather than go for it, but that punt didn't net us much at all...

ChrisP
09-29-2012, 03:28 PM
False start on four and inches

That was an absolutely AWFUL time for a penalty. We were moving it and eating up clock and possibly could have put more point on the board. Ugh! I hope that doesn't lose this game for us. I am soooo tired of losing to Wake in FB.

peloton
09-29-2012, 03:29 PM
This is a typical Duke/Wake game...c'mon defense - hold 'em at least to a field goal. This is still our game to win or lose.

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Duke duke duke defense!!!!

duke09hms
09-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Somebody better be taking the defense out for drinks tonight.

INTERCEPTION!!

peloton
Way to go defense...talk about coming up big!!

ChrisP
Holeee Cowwww!!! Nice INT. Way to go D!!!

A-Tex Devil
09-29-2012, 03:32 PM
You can see the game streaming on the ACC network. There's a link somewhere in this thread (maybe page 3) or just go to GoDuke.com and follow the link there.

Got it. Thanks! Interception?????

(70-56)

nyesq83
I bet they don't overturn this.

Devil in the Blue Dress
As the action unfolds on the field, it's the Duke band we hear in the background!

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 03:33 PM
It stands! Duke ball!

Dukehky
09-29-2012, 03:34 PM
The announcers keep commenting on how Companaro being out of the game is a huge issue. While that may be true, Duke's starting QB and one of the best QB's in the conference is out. I'd say we're probably behind in the screwed by injury race.

duke09hms
09-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Gotta admit, I was doubtful at first, but it was prescient to move Desmond Scott over to WR from RB.

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Wake asking to be hit for a slant accross the middle.

duke09hms
09-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Huge kick for Ross Martin coming up.

Anthony Boone and rest of offense, please no turnover.

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Dang whistle, Vernon never touched the ground!

blazindw
09-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Touchdooooooooowwwnnn!!!!! THIS IS BECOMING REAL!!

ChrisP
09-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Whoo-FREAKIN-HOO!!!!!!!!!! Awesome, baby! Let's finish this one out right, guys! :cool:

duke09hms
Huge kick for Ross Martin coming up.

Anthony Boone and rest of offense, please no turnover.

just kidding, thank you JELA DUNCAN! TD!

duketaylor
WOW!!! Excellent!!!!

nyesq83
It's p-nut but-r Jel-AAA time!

Untouched.

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 03:40 PM
JD for the TD. It's a great day to be a BD.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-29-2012, 03:41 PM
And Jela didn't celebrate and draw a penalty.

JasonEvans
09-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Wake let us score. Better to be down 14 with the ball than down 7 watching the other team take a knee.

I am serious.

-Jason

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Come on Defense!
Almost another INT...

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Wake let us score. Better to be down 14 with the ball than down 7 watching the other team take a knee.

I am serious.

-Jason

That's why he was untouched; Wake had only 2 TO's left at that point, one left now.

Almost an INT by RC.

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 03:45 PM

I am serious.

-Jason

That was my immediate thought, the LBs went directly to the outside

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Need a TO here to avoid suffering through an on-side kick or some other debacle.

JasonEvans
09-29-2012, 03:47 PM
If Wake completes a pass to anywhere but the end zone, they are idiots.

ChrisP
09-29-2012, 03:48 PM
And can I get an "Amen" for Jela Duncan? Really like the way that kid runs! ;)

nyesq83
Need a TO here to avoid suffering through an on-side kick or some other debacle.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

JasonEvans
Wow, that guy was really open in the end zone.

Ok, hands team, recover the onside and let me breathe!

duke09hms
09-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Ughhhh going to s--- bricks during this onside kick . . .

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 03:49 PM
How can you leave a guy wide open in the end zone on fourth down?

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Ominous smoke monster is moving in on the field...phewwwwwwwwwwww!

Lucky lucky lucky!

Congrats Duke Football on a resilient, landmark win, Cut's best victory so far!!!

DukeSean
09-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Yes!!!! We've done it!

JasonEvans
09-29-2012, 03:51 PM
We win!!

Sixthman
09-29-2012, 03:52 PM
A good win!

peloton
09-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Great win, Duke! You showed determination and a serious will to win...very proud of the entire team.

Dukehky
09-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Hurrah

ChrisP
09-29-2012, 03:54 PM
"I like smellin' like Gatorade"

- David Cutcliffe after ending a LOOOOONG drought the Demon Deacs!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-29-2012, 03:56 PM
The fog rolled in and Duke rolled on!

moonpie23
09-29-2012, 04:10 PM
this is an awesome win for coach cut and duke........keep it rolling boys...

nyesq83
09-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Coach Cut said they're still looking at Renfree. 4 injured starters in the first half.