PDA

View Full Version : Roy Williams has emergency kidney surgery

fuse
09-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Just posted on WRAL and all over twitter.

Thoughts and prayers to Roy and his family. Wishing for a speedy and full recovery.

juise
09-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Best wishes to Roy for a painless and quick recovery.. and prayers that there are no lingering effects of the tumor.

Bob Green
09-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Here is a link: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/11566075/

Prayers and best wishes to Coach Williams and his family.

mkline09
09-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Really shocking news. I certainly wish Roy well. For all the hard times we give UNC and Roy, I certainly don't wish cancer on anyone, especially having dealt with it from a personal standpoint. I hope the tumor is benign and that his recovery is quick and easy.

MulletMan
09-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Well, let's hope maybe its not cancer. Maybe just a benign cyst or benign tumor.

Although, its somewhat concerning that he has another surgery scheduled for the other kidney. Yikes.

Get well soon, Roy. Let's face it, regardless of the vitriol spewed during the season, we're all part of the same Triangle/ACC basketball family. So you'll take my well wishes, Coach!

DukeWarhead
09-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Really shocking news. I certainly wish Roy well. For all the hard times we give UNC and Roy, I certainly don't wish cancer on anyone, especially having dealt with it from a personal standpoint. I hope the tumor is benign and that his recovery is quick and easy.

A healthy rivalry needs healthy coaches. Best of luck to Roy for a quick recovery.

ricks68
09-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Best wishes for a healthy recovery and a long life.

ricks

OldPhiKap
09-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Prayers and good vibes to Roy and his family.

Rivalries are fun; health is serious.

Get well soon.

moonpie23
09-19-2012, 12:57 PM
hopefully they took care of it......speedy recovery to you coach .....

PackMan97
09-19-2012, 12:59 PM
He's going to be having a similar surgery on the other kidney in October.

Li_Duke
09-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Shouldn't this thread be titled "Roy Williams' kidney vigil"?

wilko
09-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Prayers and good vibes to Roy and his family. Get well soon.

Wow. This touches me personally.
My dad recently passed from Renal cell cancer. He fought, struggled and endured the pain for 7 yrs.
No one deserves that misery. No one.

Still hope every team, every game crashes and burns, but that takes a backseat to fighting for life.

This is beyond Basketball. I wish him health and happiness... but all things being equal, the happiness can kick in AFTER he retires.

davekay1971
09-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Best wishes to Roy and hope he has good news and a speedy recovery!

Merlindevildog91
09-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Cancer is the enemy of all of us.

Prayers to Roy Williams and his family as he undergoes this surgery and the next.

jipops
09-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Sending genuine best wishes to Roy. Basketball is pretty meaningless compared to this.

Edouble
09-19-2012, 01:51 PM
So, he's faking a kidney tumor because he lost so many players in the draft?

I can't help it. This makes me think of Coach K's back surgery in '94.

I wish Roy a speedy recovery. I'd hate to beat his guys by 30 again. We need a good tune up from the 'Heels for a deep March run. Hang in there, Roy!

hudlow
09-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Dadgummit Roy....get well soon.

mrscarlett
09-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Wishing him a speedy recovery

BD80
09-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Kinda surprised that I wish ol' roy the absolute best here. He should've gone to the Duke med center!

I guess my hatred of unc has found at least one boundary.

Maybe I'm worried that if something happens to roy, they'll get a good coach!

Reilly
09-19-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm glad Roy let the professionals handle this serious situation rather than shooting the tumor off himself with his BB gun. Get well, Coach.

jv001
09-19-2012, 02:27 PM
I wish you a speedy recovery and hope everything turns out well for you Coach Williams. God bless you and your family.

roywhite
09-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Best wishes, Roy. Get well soon.

Upon reflection, it's not been Carolina blue skies for the Chapel Hill faithful over the last year or two.
Butch Davis, the AFAM scandal, outside investigations, chancellor steps down, now Ole Roy with some medical issues...it's been a tough stretch.

Hate to see it all...I'd rather beat them at full strength on the field and in the classroom.

Lar77
09-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Roy. Let us all pray that it is taken care of and you get back to your old rascally self.

brevity
09-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Because we're Duke fans, we take an opposing coach at his word and not suggest that his health problems have an underlying, basketball-related motivation. Get well soon. Upon your recovery, we'll chip in on a case of Coca-Cola, provided you can still drink it.

See? We can be better people, wish Roy Williams well, and make Carolina fans feel pathetic and small for their past skepticisms, all at the same time.

Mike Corey
09-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Get well soon, Coach, and here's hoping this is not cancer and that you're quick to the road of recovery.

I might propose we send letters to the UNC basketball office with our support, if anyone happens to have that address.

SmartDevil
09-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Get well soon, Coach, and here's hoping this is not cancer and that you're quick to the road of recovery.

I might propose we send letters to the UNC basketball office with our support, if anyone happens to have that address.

I think that's a good idea--and making clear we're Duke fans who wish him the a full and quick recovery.

DukieInKansas
09-19-2012, 04:38 PM
You are in my prayers for a speedy and complete recovery, Coach.

summerwind03
09-19-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. I hope he recovers quickly.

devildeac
09-19-2012, 04:58 PM

Roy Williams
UNC Dept of Athletics
666 Hades Boulevard
(Chapel) Hell, NC

In complete seriousness now, I pray this is a benign process and that he's back squatting and/or flailing on the sidelines next month. Recover quickly, Coach.

BD80
09-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Roy Williams
UNC Dept of Athletics
666 Hades Boulevard
(Chapel) Hell, NC ...

I think the official title is the depatment of athletics and african-american studies.

They at least share an office.

oldnavy
09-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Prays for a speedy and full recovery. Get well soon!

Indoor66
09-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Very sorry to read this news. I pray for the best for him. As much as we root against and rant and rail about him, he is a good man doing good things for young men and his University. May his recovery be swift and complete.

weezie
09-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Yes, Roy, get well.

wsb3
09-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Dadgummit Roy....get well soon.

Very well stated...bet Ole Roy would get a chuckle from this.

Prayers for a complete healing Coach.

sagegrouse
09-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Get well, Roy. And keep your spirits up. Word of advice -- stay busy. -- sagegrouse

gumbomoop
09-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Will hope the reference to the surgery having been minimally invasive and the surgeon's optimistic prognosis are very good signs. Best wishes to Coach Williams.

throatybeard
09-20-2012, 12:30 AM
I almost never delete posts or issue infractions. But I have just done so. I want to urge everyone to treat this situation with the sensitivity Coach Williams--or any human being in his situation--or any human being, period--deserves.

g-money
09-20-2012, 01:40 AM
I wish you a speedy recovery and hope everything turns out well for you Coach Williams. God bless you and your family.

Well said. Hang in there, Coach Williams.

Just queued up the Jimmy V speech. It is as awe-inspiring as ever, but man, I wouldn't wish that fate on anyone.

Let's hope Coach Williams comes back healthy and able to coach for a long time to come.

acciconoclast
09-20-2012, 04:20 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/roy-williams-led-fight-against-cancer-long-wednesday-221201739--ncaab.html

"When Roy Williams returned to his home state almost a decade ago to become North Carolina's next basketball coach, one of the first places he visited on campus was the Lineberger Cancer Center.

Williams lost his mother to cardiac arrest while undergoing chemotherapy for cancer in 1992 and his father to cancer and emphysema in 2004. He previously worked closely with the American Cancer Society and Coaches vs. Cancer while coaching at Kansas, but he wanted to fight the disease on a more local level now that he was back in North Carolina.

Out of those initial brainstorming sessions Williams had with officials at UNC Lineberger came the idea for the coach to host an annual breakfast and auction to raise money for cancer research, prevention and awareness in the state. Williams' "Fast Break Against Cancer" has since generated $1.2 million entering its eighth edition on Oct. 12.

"It's refreshing that someone who has so much on his plate takes the time to do this and takes it as seriously as he does," said Debbie Dibbert, director of external affairs at UNC Lineberger. "He's very much personally involved in it, he takes it very seriously and it has been very successful for us."

DevilWearsPrada
09-20-2012, 04:58 AM
Vibes and Prayers to Roy for a speedy and full recovery from his surgery, and the best on his upcoming (other) kidney surgery. May his wife, Wanda be given strength as he recovers and faces the next procedure.

Look forward to seeing Ole' Roy on the court, so we can all yell at him.

Bless his heart! Get well soon, Roy!

cbarry
09-20-2012, 10:12 AM
I noticed none of the articles ever said it was cancer-- only said waiting on pathology, and he may need the other kidney operated on later. This sounds like it might be a pheochromocytoma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheochromocytoma), a tumor of the adrenal gland. This may explain his vertigo and orthostatic hypotension (almost fainting when standing up from a sitting position), which are common symptoms of a pheo. Good news is that pheochromocytomas (if that's what it is) are rarely malignant.

Best wishes to 'Ol Roy. Speedy recovery!

Indoor66
09-20-2012, 10:17 AM
I noticed none of the articles ever said it was cancer-- only said waiting on pathology, and he may need the other kidney operated on later. This sounds like it might be a pheochromocytoma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheochromocytoma), a tumor of the adrenal gland. This may explain his vertigo and orthostatic hypotension (almost fainting when standing up from a sitting position), which are common symptoms of a pheo. Good news is that pheochromocytomas (if that's what it is) are rarely malignant.

Best wishes to 'Ol Roy. Speedy recovery!

Gee, I thought you were talking dirty. :cool:

roywhite
09-20-2012, 12:54 PM
High-energy Williams must now sit and wait (http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2012/sep/20/2/wssport01-high-energy-williams-must-now-sit-and-wa-ar-2622542/)

From column today by Lenox Rawlings of W-S Journal (best sports columnist in state IMO)

He would prefer to do almost anything other than wait on answers, but that's all Williams can do now.

Surgeons removed a tumor from his right kidney during a 3 1/2 -hour procedure at UNC Hospitals Wednesday morning, but they don't know if that tumor (or another tumor on his left kidney) is cancerous. The tests that will reveal the blunt medical facts take time — perhaps two days and possibly longer, according to a Carolina spokesman.

AsiaMinor
09-22-2012, 07:57 AM
Praying for you Roy. God is of course confused, since during the season the words I send up are not exactly "please take care of this man and give him a speedy recovery." But I'm sure the Almighty can figure it out.

cascadedevil
09-22-2012, 09:43 AM
One of basketball's most tenacious competitors has fans of every shade of blue rooting for him and hoping for the best news possible. My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Williams family while they wait for the pathology reports.

diveonthefloor
09-22-2012, 10:23 AM
For purposes of speculation:
Most common kidney tumor requiring removal is renal cell carcinoma. If small, it can be removed without taking the entire kidney. If large, the entire kidney must be removed.
Some people are at risk for multiple renal cell carcinomas. Treatment here is dicey because patients require a certain degree of functioning renal tissue to live.

Some renal cell carcinomas are very agressive and spread rapidly, but many can be cured with resection.

Hope Roy does well, whatever the situation.

dukedoc
09-22-2012, 07:48 PM
For purposes of speculation:
Most common kidney tumor requiring removal is renal cell carcinoma. If small, it can be removed without taking the entire kidney. If large, the entire kidney must be removed.
Some people are at risk for multiple renal cell carcinomas. Treatment here is dicey because patients require a certain degree of functioning renal tissue to live.

Some renal cell carcinomas are very agressive and spread rapidly, but many can be cured with resection.

Hope Roy does well, whatever the situation.

I'm not sure this is something we should speculate about. Kendall's scaphoid, sure. But not this.

If you pray, you should pray. If you prefer to send good thoughts and whatnot, send good thoughts and whatnot.

dukedoc
09-25-2012, 04:12 PM
The twitterverse says Roy's tumor was not cancerous! Great news.

sagegrouse
09-25-2012, 05:01 PM

Here's an article on the good news. A similar growth on the other kidney will be biopsied now.

sagegrouse

Newton_14
09-25-2012, 10:33 PM

That is really awesome news dd, thanks for sharing. I hope that means he can put off the surgery on the left kidney until after the season without jeopardizing his health in any way.

I was anticipating it to be cancer, so relieved to learn it is not. So I celebrate the news with our adversary, and wish him a speedy recovery.

sagegrouse
09-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Here's an article on the good news. A similar growth on the other kidney will be biopsied now.

sagegrouse

Duhhhhhhhhhh (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8425138/north-carolina-tar-heels-roy-williams-kidney-tumor-was-benign)!!! I forgot to add the link. -- sage

magjayran
09-26-2012, 12:59 AM
Great news that it's not cancerous. I want to see Roy's career end prematurely after a string of losing seasons...not cancer.

MChambers
09-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Great news that it's not cancerous. I want to see Roy's career end prematurely after a string of losing seasons...not cancer.
I would prefer to see his career continue with a string of losing seasons! Glad to hear it's not cancerous.

throatybeard
10-13-2012, 02:31 AM
I've been sensitive to and supportive of Roy Williams in this, but this sticks in my craw.

Bucigross just reported [w/r/t the silly PR stunt that is Midnight Madness], "Roy Williams, back from his bout with cancer."

Um, it was not cancer. Did you miss the good news, Buci?