PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy to miss rest of season

jimsumner
09-19-2012, 10:52 AM
From Duke press release

"Duke freshman safety Corbin McCarthy underwent surgery on Monday to repair a labral tear in his left shoulder. He will miss the remainder of the 2012 season.

The procedure was performed by Dr. Claude T. Moorman III, Duke’s head team physician and the director of Duke Sports Medicine.

A native of Norco, Calif., McCarthy saw action in the first two games and compiled four total tackles including a season-best three stops in Duke’s victory over FIU."

Fortunately, McCarthy is eligible for a medical redshirt.

DukeSean
09-19-2012, 11:25 AM
yet another hit for our safety corps. Depth at S is key in our 4-2-5 set, and it's getting decimated.

Paging Connette?

Here's to hoping McCarthy heals well and quickly.

Olympic Fan
09-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Yes, it does seem that safety has been unusually hard hit.

But offsetting the McCarthy news, Walt Canty has returned to practice and is apparently fine. Plus, Jordan Byas, out all year since arthroscopic knee surgery in August, has also returned to practice.

That means that we should have Canty, Braxton and Anthony Young-Wiseman ready to start, plus Dwayne Norman (who started and went the whole way against NCCU) and maybe Byas.

McCarthy is a promising player, but at this stage of his career, I'd rather have Canty or Byas. I don't think we'll NEED Brandon Connette at safety or Garrett Rider.

The good news is that because of the timing of the injury and the limited amount he played, McCarthy will almos certainly be granted a medical hardship year and will still be a frehman next season.

jimsumner
09-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Yes, it does seem that safety has been unusually hard hit.

But offsetting the McCarthy news, Walt Canty has returned to practice and is apparently fine. Plus, Jordan Byas, out all year since arthroscopic knee surgery in August, has also returned to practice.

That means that we should have Canty, Braxton and Anthony Young-Wiseman ready to start, plus Dwayne Norman (who started and went the whole way against NCCU) and maybe Byas.

McCarthy is a promising player, but at this stage of his career, I'd rather have Canty or Byas. I don't think we'll NEED Brandon Connette at safety or Garrett Rider.

The good news is that because of the timing of the injury and the limited amount he played, McCarthy will almos certainly be granted a medical hardship year and will still be a frehman next season.

Chris Tavarez adds some depth at safety. Not sure when Campbell returns.

So, fingers crossed. There are enough safeties if Duke can avoid further attrition.

OldPhiKap
09-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Good luck Corbin, look forward to seeing you return when possible.

Do what the docs say, we've got some smart ones in Durham/Triangle.