PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs. Kentucky: Best 'Que Joints in the U.S.

KYtotheCore
09-18-2012, 09:45 PM
for those interested . . . http://thechive.com/2012/09/18/hungry-the-best-bbq-joints-in-america-25-photos/#close

ricks68
09-19-2012, 12:13 AM
for those interested . . . http://thechive.com/2012/09/18/hungry-the-best-bbq-joints-in-america-25-photos/#close

How can you trust a review that has Lexington #1 located in Ky, instead of NC, before a bunch of people wrote in to point that out. In addition, he also has Snow's located in Lexington, Ky instead of Lexington, Tx. Then he includes Goode Co. in Houston as great BBQ, which just ain't so. I eat there as much as 2-3 times a month treating it almost like fast food because it is just basic really good BBQ, but not great. The Salt Lick BBQ is really way too sweet and fatty and is really known for its huge parking area where a lot of UT students get plain drunk while waiting for the UT game which they now have a lot of trouble driving to. And, if they can successfully find their way out of the parking lot, the cops are waiting for them to help support the town of Driftwood. Most of the patrons have trouble even trying to figure out where they have been to eat, let alone if it was any good or not.

At least he may have his top pick right. Franklin's is now said to be the finest. My daughter has eaten there a few times, and raves about it, but I haven' been there yet. The word is out, however, that it may well surpass Snow's.

ricks

1999ballboy
09-19-2012, 01:12 AM
Franklin's is amazing and probably the best barbecue I've ever had. I'll back that sentiment for sure. I'm still not crazy about that list, though. I love Owensboro BBQ (mmm, sheep meat), and while Moonlite has the buffet going for it, I think the flavor at Old Hickory trumps it quite easily. I grew up in Raleigh and I never thought that The Pit was anything special. For eastern style, I prefer country joints like Lexington or Wilber's.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-19-2012, 07:08 AM
I just don't get how anyone who knows 'cue can put The Pit on the list. Sad excuse for 'cue. It's an impossible list to assemble really. But if you're going to put a Triangle joint on the list, it HAS to be Backyard BBQ Pit #1. Period.

hudlow
09-19-2012, 09:47 AM
They call lamb with sauce on it Barbecue in Kentucky.

What else do you need to know?

75Crazie
09-19-2012, 10:01 AM
They call lamb with sauce on it Barbecue in Kentucky.

What else do you need to know?
Sounds like Colorado ... except for lamb, substitute beef. People here just don't understand when I tell them how pathetic the barbecue is here.

Jarhead
09-19-2012, 02:43 PM
To answer the question in the thread title -- any of several decent and better in Eastern North Carolina plus Jack Stack Barbecue in Kansas City. The best of two styles, and that's the truth. Shout it out!http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/angry/screaming.gif

allenmurray
09-19-2012, 03:26 PM
The Salt Lick BBQ is really way too sweet and fatty and is really known for its huge parking area where a lot of UT students get plain drunk while waiting for the UT game which they now have a lot of trouble driving to.

At least he may have his top pick right. Franklin's is now said to be the finest. My daughter has eaten there a few times, and raves about it, but I haven' been there yet. The word is out, however, that it may well surpass Snow's.

ricks

Any list that includes Salt Lick, but not Kruez Market was written by an idiot. Franklin's and Snow's are both great, but Kruez remains the gold standard IMHO.

75Crazie
09-19-2012, 03:35 PM
To answer the question in the thread title -- any of several decent and better in Eastern North Carolina plus Jack Stack Barbecue in Kansas City. The best of two styles, and that's the truth. Shout it out!http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/angry/screaming.gif
I'm still partial to NC-style barbecue, but I gotta admit that Jack Stack is a winner also.

grit74
09-19-2012, 03:37 PM
I just don't get how anyone who knows 'cue can put The Pit on the list. Sad excuse for 'cue. It's an impossible list to assemble really. But if you're going to put a Triangle joint on the list, it HAS to be Backyard BBQ Pit #1. Period.

I double agree.

ricks68
09-20-2012, 05:22 AM
Any list that includes Salt Lick, but not Kruez Market was written by an idiot. Franklin's and Snow's are both great, but Kruez remains the gold standard IMHO.

Kreuz is in there. You probably missed it. Next time this guy will probably put in County Line. sheesh!:rolleyes:

ricks

Lennies
09-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Franklin and JMuellers both belong in the top of that list. I wouldn't put the Salt Lick in the list and I certainly wouldn't use their sauce as a justification!

CameronBornAndBred
09-21-2012, 08:32 AM
For one day only (since we change up our menu every game) the best bbq joint in the state will be a tent on Devil's Alley for the Memphis game. Playing Memphis, gotta serve up the 'cue. Won't be Memphis style, gotta stick to tradition.

airowe
09-21-2012, 10:00 AM
This has to be the worst compiled BBQ list I've ever seen.

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/09/21/best-barbecue-for-tailgating/?hpt=hp_c2

-jk
09-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Indeed. I've been to Hill Country in DC. It wasn't BBQ. Fun time, decent food, but not BBQ - and certainly not the best in the country.

-jk

Lennies
09-21-2012, 02:39 PM
That is a horrible list airowe!