PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 9-18-12

jimsumner
09-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Some good news on the injury front. Walt Canty, Jordon Byas, Lucas Patrick and Kyler Brown practiced this morning.
No guarantee they will all play Saturday. But maybe the corner has been turned on the injury front.

Cut acknowledged that Duke is not running as often and as effectively as he had hoped. Extra emphasis on the ground game this week. Coaches spent lots of time looking at film. "I do believe we have some backs who are part of our weaponry."

No apparent plans to go away from running-back-by-committee. Cut says he wants more production from that position but doesn't care who gets it.

The American Football Coaches Association honored Renfree as one of 11 guys on their Good Works Team.

Cut didn't go all Dean Smith on us. But apparently Memphis has explosive guys on offense, next-level players on defense, great special teams and some of the best coaches around.

Which explains how they were able to keep it close against Tennessee-Martin.

Ross Cockrell credits his defensive success on great play by the front seven (I guess no one told Ross Duke runs a 4-2-5).
Got to love a teammate who deflects praise on to his teammates.

Cockrell expects Memphis to try to stretch the field and throw the ball early and often. He was smiling when he said it. :)

Practiced indoors this A.M. Weeks like this, that new facility comes in handy.

No plans to move Blakeney back to D. Duke wants him to concentrate on learning TE, rather than disperse his efforts and attention.

Connette, however, might be taking tickets and selling popcorn Saturday night.

Injury report Thursday. Should look better for a change.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Some good news on the injury front. Walt Canty, Jordon Byas, Lucas Patrick and Kyler Brown practiced this morning.
No guarantee they will all play Saturday. But maybe the corner has been turned on the injury front.

Cut acknowledged that Duke is not running as often and as effectively as he had hoped. Extra emphasis on the ground game this week. Coaches spent lots of time looking at film. "I do believe we have some backs who are part of our weaponry."

No apparent plans to go away from running-back-by-committee. Cut says he wants more production from that position but doesn't care who gets it.

The American Football Coaches Association honored Renfree as one of 11 guys on their Good Works Team.

Cut didn't go all Dean Smith on us. But apparently Memphis has explosive guys on offense, next-level players on defense, great special teams and some of the best coaches around.

Which explains how they were able to keep it close against Tennessee-Martin.

Ross Cockrell credits his defensive success on great play by the front seven (I guess no one told Ross Duke runs a 4-2-5).
Got to love a teammate who deflects praise on to his teammates.

Cockrell expects Memphis to try to stretch the field and throw the ball early and often. He was smiling when he said it. :)

Practiced indoors this A.M. Weeks like this, that new facility comes in handy.

No plans to move Blakeney back to D. Duke wants him to concentrate on learning TE, rather than disperse his efforts and attention.

Jim, is there any information out yet regarding the type of popcorn Brandon may be selling or which sections he'll be in?;)

jafarr1
09-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks, Jim. I'm excited to see the injury report heading in the right direction for a change.

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2012, 03:29 PM

Love both those quotes. I've been reading all week how the coaches and the team are not overly celebrating their win on Saturday; I really do think they are treating Memphis with the caution and the respect that they deserve. I still want to see a blowout, but I am happy the team is not going in excpecting one to be handed to them.