PDA

View Full Version : The Seth Curry Career Scoring Watch

CDu
09-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Seth Curry currently stands at 1,489 points in his three seasons of college basketball. That leaves him 511 points from 2,000. He scored 449 points last year in a complementary role. This year, his role is likely to be more extensive (and we're likely to play a few more games as well). To get to 2,000, here's the breakdown of what he'd need to average to get there:

32 games: 15.97 ppg
33 games: 15.49 ppg
34 games: 15.03 ppg
35 games: 14.60 ppg
36 games: 14.20 ppg
37 games: 13.82 ppg
38 games: 13.45 ppg
39 games: 13.11 ppg
40 games: 12.78 ppg

Let the vigil commence!

UrinalCake
09-18-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure I would describe his role from last year as being "complementary" when he averaged about 30MPG. I agree that he wasn't the first option on offense, but he wasn't a role player either. Like most of the team, he had his ups and downs. He started out the season great, playing point guard while scoring well and really efficiently and still involving his teammates. Then OSU happened.

I do think that he'll be able to average close to 15 PPG this year and will lead our team in scoring. Without having point guard duties he can do what he does best, which is catch-and-shoot and drive the lane when matched against a slower defender. Mason and Ryan will have games that they score a lot, but I expect that their numbers will be inconsistent just because of our playing style and how we match up with a given opponent. Seth should be able to score more consistently. And of course Rasheed has potential but we'll have to wait and see with him.

I hope this doesn't come off as sounding negative, but having Austin leave was the best thing that could have happened to Seth.

Rich
09-18-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure I would describe his role from last year as being "complementary" when he averaged about 30MPG. I agree that he wasn't the first option on offense, but he wasn't a role player either. Like most of the team, he had his ups and downs. He started out the season great, playing point guard while scoring well and really efficiently and still involving his teammates. Then OSU happened.

I hope this doesn't come off as sounding negative, but having Austin leave was the best thing that could have happened to Seth.

With Austin on the team, everyone else was a "complementary" player.

UrinalCake
09-18-2012, 04:19 PM

Good point. Though Seth wasn't very "complimentary" towards Austin in his quotes after the season.

CDu
09-18-2012, 05:17 PM

I do think that he'll be able to average close to 15 PPG this year and will lead our team in scoring. Without having point guard duties he can do what he does best, which is catch-and-shoot and drive the lane when matched against a slower defender. Mason and Ryan will have games that they score a lot, but I expect that their numbers will be inconsistent just because of our playing style and how we match up with a given opponent. Seth should be able to score more consistently. And of course Rasheed has potential but we'll have to wait and see with him.

In terms of his scoring, he was a complementary player. In other words, he wasn't the primary scorer. Being a complementary scorer doesn't necessarily mean you're a role player.

ricks68
09-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Seth Curry currently stands at 1,489 points in his three seasons of college basketball. That leaves him 511 points from 2,000. He scored 449 points last year in a complementary role. This year, his role is likely to be more extensive (and we're likely to play a few more games as well). To get to 2,000, here's the breakdown of what he'd need to average to get there:

Let the vigil commence!

Finally,more like an actual vigil.;)

ricks

bjornolf
09-19-2012, 08:28 AM

Let the vigil commence!

Well, here's hoping he has to average less than 13 ppg to get there! ;)

jimsumner
09-19-2012, 02:43 PM
In terms of his scoring, he was a complementary player. In other words, he wasn't the primary scorer. Being a complementary scorer doesn't necessarily mean you're a role player.

This suggests that anyone other than the primary scorer is a complementary player.

Using that metric, Mark Alarie was a complementary player for four seasons, Chris Carrawell was a complementary player in 2000, Shane Battier in 2001, Kyle Singler in 2010. And so forth.

I do think Curry can play a more prominent role on this year's team. But he was second on the 2012 team in minutes played, points scored and field goals attempted, while leading in assists. Sounds like a primary player to me.

If Cook can handle the PG spot--and I think he will--that frees up Curry to play off the ball more, to channel his inner Trajan Langdon, as it were.

That should be a good thing.

UrinalCake
09-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Trajan is an interesting comp for Seth. Both are excellent shooters with below-average speed/athleticism but crafty enough with the ball to create some space and occasionally drive the lane. Both had to sit out their second year (Trajan due to injury, Seth due to transfer). Trajan was a little bit taller and more of a pure shooter, while Seth is more of a combo guard. But if he can provide the consistency and leadership that Trajan did, along with the constant outside threat to stretch the defense, then that would be huge.

KenTankerous
09-19-2012, 05:04 PM
The vigil threads, especially actual one's (as ricks68 points out) are a lot more entertaining if one reads the OP in the voice of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory.

CDu
11-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Just a quick update on the Seth Curry vigil (I know you all are awaiting this with bated breath). Curry has scored 106 points so far this season, giving him 1,595 for his career (888 at Duke, 707 at Liberty). He's now 405 points away from 2,000 for his career. To reach 2,000, here are the averages he'd need:

26 games: 15.58 ppg
27 games: 15 ppg
28 games: 14.46 ppg
29 games: 13.97 ppg
30 games: 13.5 ppg
31 games: 13.06 ppg
32 games: 12.66 ppg
33 games: 12.27 ppg

He's currently averaging 15.1 ppg this season after a tough night against OSU dropped him from 17 ppg. If he can stay relatively healthy he should reach the mark if we get to the second weekend of the NCAA tournament. Of course, he could do it sooner if he boosts his scoring average back up with a strong ACC season.

Olympic Fan
11-30-2012, 01:18 PM
While the countdown to 2,000 is significant for Seth, there are a few other numbers that we ought to keep at eye on:

(1) His points at Duke: 888 -- he needs 112 more points to become the 61st player in Duke history to top 1,000 points (at Duke -- they don't credit his Liberty points)

With 60 1,000 point scorers, Duke is currently tied with Kentucky for third place in NCAA history, behind UNC (66) and Louiville (65). Duke could close the gap this year -- not only is Seth in range for 1,000, but Ryan Kelly (739) and Mason Plumlee (908) are also likely to get there. As long as Kentucky keeps using one-and-dones, they are not going to add to their total. And I don't believe UNC has anybody in range this year.

(2) Seth and his brother Stephen Curry have combined to score 4,230 points (2,635 for Stephen; 1,595 for Seth). That's the fourth highest brother total in NCAA history. First place is within reach. Here's the top 5:
1 - Tyler and Ben Hansbrough ... 4,485
2 -- Larry and Eddie Bird .... 4,405
3 -- Chuck and Wesley Person ... 4,377
4 -- Stephen and Seth Curry ... 4,230
5 -- Greg and Josh Grant ... 4,124

As long as we are talking brothers, there is also the Plumlee trio. So far, Miles and Mason have combined for 1,558 points -- that's the 12th highest brother ttal in ACC history. With Mason finishing his career strong and Marshall waiting in the wings, they could really move up the list (32 more points to crack he to 10). Only three brother combos have topped 3,000 points in ACC history (obviously talking about brothers that both played in the ACC):

1. Tom, Donnie, Randy and Richie Mahaffey (Clemson) ... 3,555
2. Jay and Tom McMillen (Maryland) ... 3,107
3. Jeff (Duke) and Jason (UNC) Capel .... 3,048

There is an outside chance that the Booker brothers can get to 3,000 -- but Devin needs 500 points over the rest of the season. The Plumlees won't get anywhere near 3,000 for a couple of years, but it's still something to look for.

CDu
11-30-2012, 04:50 PM
While the countdown to 2,000 is significant for Seth, there are a few other numbers that we ought to keep at eye on:

(1) His points at Duke: 888 -- he needs 112 more points to become the 61st player in Duke history to top 1,000 points (at Duke -- they don't credit his Liberty points)

With 60 1,000 point scorers, Duke is currently tied with Kentucky for third place in NCAA history, behind UNC (66) and Louiville (65). Duke could close the gap this year -- not only is Seth in range for 1,000, but Ryan Kelly (739) and Mason Plumlee (908) are also likely to get there. As long as Kentucky keeps using one-and-dones, they are not going to add to their total. And I don't believe UNC has anybody in range this year.

(2) Seth and his brother Stephen Curry have combined to score 4,230 points (2,635 for Stephen; 1,595 for Seth). That's the fourth highest brother total in NCAA history. First place is within reach. Here's the top 5:

As long as we are talking brothers, there is also the Plumlee trio. So far, Miles and Mason have combined for 1,558 points -- that's the 12th highest brother ttal in ACC history. With Mason finishing his career strong and Marshall waiting in the wings, they could really move up the list (32 more points to crack he to 10). Only three brother combos have topped 3,000 points in ACC history (obviously talking about brothers that both played in the ACC):

There is an outside chance that the Booker brothers can get to 3,000 -- but Devin needs 500 points over the rest of the season. The Plumlees won't get anywhere near 3,000 for a couple of years, but it's still something to look for.

To be fair, both of those counts should be easily passed (barring serious injury of course). The first might get passed before the new year (almost certainly before the end of January) and the second will almost certainly fall by the end of February.

CDu
12-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Curry's ankle injury in the OSU game meant he got 0 minutes (and thus 0 points against Delaware). He came back against Temple and dropped 23 points. That gives him 129 points so far this season, giving him 1,618 for his career (911 at Duke, 707 at Liberty). He's now 382 points away from 2,000 for his career. To reach 2,000, here are the averages he'd need:

24 games: 15.92 ppg
25 games: 15.28 ppg
26 games: 14.69 ppg
27 games: 13.15 ppg
28 games: 13.64 ppg
29 games: 13.17 ppg
30 games: 12.73 ppg
31 games: 12.32 ppg

He's currently averaging 16.1 ppg this season (excluding the DNP, of course). The one-game absence did mean he'll have to average a bit more per game to accomplish the feat in the same number of games. If he can stay relatively healthy he should reach the mark if we get to the second weekend of the NCAA tournament. Of course, he could do it sooner if he boosts his scoring average back up with a strong ACC season.

licc85
12-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Seth seems to bring his game for more important contests, and the closer the game, the more likely he is to see some end of game foul line trips. He is basically our go-to free throw shooter in late game situations, so I imagine he will continue to average around 15 ppg, and get a significant number of free throws attempts during the grueling ACC slate. I think 2,000 is almost a certainty barring injury and #1 brother duo is money in the bank.

Man, I can't believe Stephen scored that many points in 3 years, what a beast . . . if only we had known about him when he was still in high school. Would easily be one of the most celebrated Blue Devils in history had he been in Durham for 3 years. But the same could be said about Kobe as well, even if it was for just 1 year. Siiiigh . . .

throatybeard
12-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Man, I can't believe Stephen scored that many points in 3 years, what a beast . . . if only we had known about him when he was still in high school. Would easily be one of the most celebrated Blue Devils in history had he been in Durham for 3 years. But the same could be said about Kobe as well, even if it was for just 1 year. Siiiigh . . .

JWill--2000+ in three years!

Newton_14
12-11-2012, 11:13 PM
JWill--2000+ in three years!

Indeed, and would have shattered the ACC All-Time scoring record had he played that Senior Year, to the point where I doubt neither JJ nor Hans would have caught him.

licc85
12-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Indeed, and would have shattered the ACC All-Time scoring record had he played that Senior Year, to the point where I doubt neither JJ nor Hans would have caught him.

Yeah, well, JWill, in my opinion was on a different level than even Stephen. He could get to the rim and finish through contact in addition to being a great shooter. I bet JWill would have been close to a 3000 point scorer in 3 years if he had been the focal point of a Davidson offense . . .

throatybeard
12-11-2012, 11:35 PM

There's that, but DT would have killed any attempt had he had a Frosh campaign.

lotusland
12-12-2012, 07:54 AM

Without Austin duke would have been completely one dimensional passing the ball around the 3 pt line ignoring MP2. Also Duke would have lost more games. I don't think you blame a freshman because the upper-classmen failed to assert themselves.

I agree Duke is better this year but I don't think it is as simple as addition by subtraction.

Indoor66
12-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Without Austin duke would have been completely one dimensional passing the ball around the 3 pt line ignoring MP2. Also Duke would have lost more games. I don't think you blame a freshman because the upper-classmen failed to assert themselves.

I agree Duke is better this year but I don't think it is as simple as addition by subtraction.

I agree with you on this. We are better this year because the team has matured and Rasheed is an incredible talent whose skill set blends with and complements the upper classmen. Also, Mason hitting free throws expands the dimensions of this team because we do not fear attacking the basket with Mason as weapon.

throatybeard
12-12-2012, 08:58 PM

Well that's true, but it's a lot more fun for Duke fans (for some reason) to heap hatred on the guy. I'm trying to think of players hated more in the K era by the player's own "fans." All I've got is Newton, McRoberts, and Paulus. Ricky Price?

Newton_14
12-12-2012, 09:50 PM
There's that, but DT would have killed any attempt had he had a Frosh campaign.
No argument there at all. Hands down the greatest college player I ever had the privilege of watching. My first sports hero to boot.

licc85
12-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Well that's true, but it's a lot more fun for Duke fans (for some reason) to heap hatred on the guy. I'm trying to think of players hated more in the K era by the player's own "fans." All I've got is Newton, McRoberts, and Paulus. Ricky Price?

I was never particularly fond of Shavlik Randolph, and he did kind of out himself as a big jerk later on during his brief appearance in the NBA with his homophobic comments that got way blown up in the media. Definitely wasn't a fan of McBob, either, he was probably the worst one.

I never had a problem with Paulus other than the fact that he was way too slow to be our starting PG. Good guy, good team player. He did have some nice moments though, remember this? http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?35-Paulus

Austin was a great player for us last year. I still root for him, but I guess most people kind of took Seth Curry's remarks about Austin too seriously, and it's a lot easier to side with Seth on that one.

Jderf
12-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Austin was a great player for us last year. I still root for him, but I guess most people kind of took Seth Curry's remarks about Austin too seriously, and it's a lot easier to side with Seth on that one.

By "too seriously," do you mean "out of context?" I don't understand how it has become common knowledge that Seth supposedly said Austin was bad for team chemistry. I thought those comments very clearly referred to spending time together off of the court, and not to any specific player's personality. Correct me if I'm wrong.

licc85
12-13-2012, 09:43 AM
By "too seriously," do you mean "out of context?" I don't understand how it has become common knowledge that Seth supposedly said Austin was bad for team chemistry. I thought those comments very clearly referred to spending time together off of the court, and not to any specific player's personality. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You said what I was trying to say. I just thought people overreacted to Seth's comments. I'm not one of the Austin haters, just trying to point out that the Seth comment kind of planted that seed.

CDu
12-13-2012, 09:46 AM

Wow, I would have never put Paulus on this list. On the contrary, I thought he tended to get more love than he desired considering his limitations as a PG and defensive player (which is ultimately what led to Smith and then Scheyer being converted to PG and Paulus eventually getting benched) on a team that needed good PG play and perimeter defense.

I can't imagine Price getting too much hate, either. He was a good player until he got suspended. And after that, he was a bit player on a very good team. I'd have guessed Capel incurred the wrath more than Price.

Newton was a bit of an unknown for me.

McRoberts definitely makes the list (undeservedly so, in my opinion) and is probably #1.

CDu
12-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Curry had a monster game today against Santa Clara. He had 31, giving him 1,677 for his career (970 at Duke, 707 at Liberty). He's now 323 points away from 2,000 for his career. To reach 2,000, here are the averages he'd need:

21 games: 15.38 ppg
22 games: 14.68 ppg
23 games: 14.04 ppg
24 games: 13.46 ppg
25 games: 12.92 ppg
26 games: 12.42 ppg
27 games: 11.96 ppg
28 games: 11.54 ppg

He's currently averaging 17.1 ppg this season (excluding the DNP, of course). If he can stay relatively healthy he could reach the mark before the NCAA tournament (if we manage to make it to the ACC final).

And of course he's on the verge of reaching 1,000 points at Duke. That could happen Wednesday against Davidson, and should happen by no later than the Clemson game.

cptnflash
12-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Curry had a monster game today against Santa Clara. He had 31, giving him 1,677 for his career (970 at Duke, 707 at Liberty). He's now 323 points away from 2,000 for his career. To reach 2,000, here are the averages he'd need:

21 games: 15.38 ppg
22 games: 14.68 ppg
23 games: 14.04 ppg
24 games: 13.46 ppg
25 games: 12.92 ppg
26 games: 12.42 ppg
27 games: 11.96 ppg
28 games: 11.54 ppg

He's currently averaging 17.1 ppg this season (excluding the DNP, of course). If he can stay relatively healthy he could reach the mark before the NCAA tournament (if we manage to make it to the ACC final).

And of course he's on the verge of reaching 1,000 points at Duke. That could happen Wednesday against Davidson, and should happen by no later than the Clemson game.

Provided he stays healthy, 2000 points are in the bag. I expect him to finish the year as our second leading scorer behind Mason. And if we play fewer than 25 games the rest of the way I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

Olympic Fan
12-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Just a word about Jason Williams ... sure he would have shattered the Hemric/Dawkins/Hansbrough scoring records if he played four years. But so what? He's not the only guy in that situation. Georgia Tech's Dennis Scott actually scored more points in his first three years at Tech (2115) than J-Will did in his three years at Duke (2079). HE would have the record is everybody stayed the course.

Or would he?

There was a generation of players in the ACC who were only allowed to play three seasons. David Thompson scored 2,309 points in his three seasons. True, the season he missed was his freshman year, but believe me, he would have been an offensive machine as a freshman (indeed, a pro scout saw him play as a freshman and said, 'He's one of the 10 best players in the world -- pro and college -- right now"). DT, Buzzy Wilkerson, Lennie Rosenbluth and Lennie Chappell all would have topped Hansbrough's record.

Numbers are what the are. It's fun to speculate "what if" but the guys who actually put up the records deserve the credit. It's always haunted me that Art Heyman missed 2,000 points by 16 points -- 16 points he'd have gotten easily his sophomore year with the three games he was forced to sit out because of a totally bogus suspension levied by the ACC (Heyman was the victim of a vile assault by two UNC players -- he was penalized by fighting back to protect himself).

If Seth gets to 2,000, I'll cheer him on. And if he falls just short because of his leg issues ... well, that will open up another "what if" scenario.

CharlestonDevil
12-30-2012, 03:02 PM

What would Seth have to average from here on out in order for us to replace the Hansbrough's? Any time we can push UNC out of a #1 slot I am all for it.

uh_no
12-30-2012, 03:14 PM
What would Seth have to average from here on out in order for us to replace the Hansbrough's? Any time we can push UNC out of a #1 slot I am all for it.

12 and change with the minimum 21 games.

brevity
12-31-2012, 12:24 AM

Wait... I thought there were six Hansbrough brothers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnT7pT6zCcA

ChillinDuke
01-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Not to steal your thunder, CDu. I was interested in where he stands, so here are Seth's per game requirements to hit 2,000:

19 games: 15.53 ppg
20 games: 14.75 ppg
21 games: 14.05 ppg
22 games: 13.41 ppg
23 games: 12.83 ppg
24 games: 12.29 ppg
25 games: 11.80 ppg
26 games: 11.35 ppg

By my count Seth's next FG will put him at (or over) 1,000 pts in a Duke uniform.

- Chillin

BigWayne
01-07-2013, 06:08 PM
By my count Seth's next FG will put him at (or over) 1,000 pts in a Duke uniform.

- Chillin

Don't have to spend any time on that count. It's right there at goduke.com.... http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=2736

BigWayne
01-07-2013, 06:14 PM
At 15 to 16 points a game from here, he will cross this threshold during the 1st Carolina game which would make for a bunch of yapping from Dickie V.

CDu
01-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Not to steal your thunder, CDu. I was interested in where he stands, so here are Seth's per game requirements to hit 2,000:

19 games: 15.53 ppg
20 games: 14.75 ppg
21 games: 14.05 ppg
22 games: 13.41 ppg
23 games: 12.83 ppg
24 games: 12.29 ppg
25 games: 11.80 ppg
26 games: 11.35 ppg

- Chillin

No offense taken. Busy visiting my nephew this week, so I am limited. Thanks for taking care of it.

turnandburn55
01-07-2013, 07:45 PM

Taylor King and Chris Burgess were not terribly popular. Then again, there's a reason they transferred. Brian Zoubek may have made one of the biggest turns from zero to hero.

uh_no
01-07-2013, 08:38 PM

was greg really that hated? I always felt that people figured out he wasn't the greatest bball player....but when he went on the bench, he was an awesome teammate to the guys in front of him.

All I can say for greg is he always did everything he was asked to the best of his ability, and there's nothing more you can ask of him

CDu
01-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Curry put up a terrific effort in our loss to State on Saturday, dropping 22 points on the Pack. He now has 1,735 points (707 at Liberty, 1,028 at Duke), leaving him 265 points shy of 2,000 for his career. Here's the breakdown of what he needs to do to get there:

17 games: 15.59 ppg
18 games: 14.72 ppg
19 games: 13.95 ppg
20 games: 13.25 ppg
21 games: 12.62 ppg
22 games: 12.05 ppg
23 games: 11.52 ppg
24 games: 11.04 ppg

Curry is currently averaging 16.4 ppg this season. If he plays every game the rest of the way and we don't lose early in both the ACC and NCAA tournaments, Curry should get there. He might even get there before the end of the ACC tournament. Of course, that's all contingent upon him staying healthy. He's already missed 1+ games with separate ankle injuries, and there's the lingering shin issue that he's dealing with. So you just never know.

CDu
01-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Curry just keeps on putting up monster numbers. He added 24 against Ga Tech, as he continues to do the heavy lifting offensively in ACC play. He now has 1,759 points (707 at Liberty, 1,052 at Duke), leaving him 241 points shy of 2,000 for his career. Here's the breakdown of what he needs to do to get there:

16 games: 15.06 ppg
17 games: 14.8 ppg
18 games: 13.39 ppg
19 games: 12.68 ppg
20 games: 12.05 ppg
21 games: 11.48 ppg
22 games: 10.95 ppg
23 games: 10.48 ppg

Curry is currently averaging 16.9 ppg this season. I think it's evident that if he stays healthy, he'll get to 2,000. The health is the question. He's missed 1+ games with separate ankle injuries, and there's always the lingering concern about the shin. But if he can stay on the court each game the rest of the way, he may just get it done before the ACC tournament.[/QUOTE]

CDu
01-24-2013, 10:32 AM
Curry dropped a goose egg last night, adding 0 points to his total. He still has 1,759 points (707 at Liberty, 1,052 at Duke), leaving him 241 points shy of 2,000 for his career. Here's the breakdown of what he needs to do to get there:

15 games: 16.07 ppg
16 games: 15.06 ppg
17 games: 14.18 ppg
18 games: 13.39 ppg
19 games: 12.68 ppg
20 games: 12.05 ppg
21 games: 11.48 ppg
22 games: 10.95 ppg

Curry is currently averaging 15.9 ppg this season. If we were to lose in the first round of the ACC and NCAA tournament, he'd need to improve his season scoring average to reach 2,000. That's not likely to happen, of course, but it would be nice for Ryan Kelly to come back and push that probability closer to 0 percent.

CDu
01-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Curry added 13 in today's blowout of Maryland. He now has 1,772 points (707 at Liberty, 1,065 at Duke), leaving him 228 points shy of 2,000 for his career. Here's the breakdown of what he needs to do to get there:

14 games: 16.29 ppg
15 games: 15.2 ppg
16 games: 14.25 ppg
17 games: 13.41 ppg
18 games: 12.67 ppg
19 games: 12 ppg
20 games: 11.4 ppg
21 games: 10.86 ppg

Curry is currently averaging 15.7 ppg this season. Still chipping away. Hopefully he can have another big game soon to get that scoring average back up.

JasonEvans
01-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Curry added 13 in today's blowout of Maryland. He now has 1,772 points (707 at Liberty, 1,065 at Duke), leaving him 228 points shy of 2,000 for his career. Here's the breakdown of what he needs to do to get there:

14 games: 16.29 ppg
15 games: 15.2 ppg
16 games: 14.25 ppg
17 games: 13.41 ppg
18 games: 12.67 ppg
19 games: 12 ppg
20 games: 11.4 ppg
21 games: 10.86 ppg

Curry is currently averaging 15.7 ppg this season. Still chipping away. Hopefully he can have another big game soon to get that scoring average back up.

Dissent! I am rooting hard for him to average 11 ppg over the rest of the season... and still get to 2000 career points.

-Jason " ;) " Evans

CDu
02-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Curry chipped in 21 in today's blowout of Maryland. He now has 1,793 points (707 at Liberty, 1,086 at Duke), leaving him 207 points shy of 2,000 for his career. Here's the breakdown of what he needs to do to get there:

13 games: 15.92 ppg
14 games: 14.79 ppg
15 games: 13.8 ppg
16 games: 12.94 ppg
17 games: 12.18 ppg
18 games: 11.5 ppg
19 games: 10.89 ppg
20 games: 10.35 ppg

Curry is currently averaging 16.0 ppg this season. So at this point, even if we lost in the first round of both the ACC and NCAA tournament, he'd need to only match his season average. Provided he stays healthy enough to play all the games, it's likely going to happen for him. Here's hoping (for his sake and our season's sake) that he manages to avoid any serious injuries the rest of the way.

Kedsy
02-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Curry chipped in 21 in today's blowout of Maryland.

You mean Wednesday's tight win against Wake, right?

CDu
02-01-2013, 02:23 PM
You mean Wednesday's tight win against Wake, right?

Uggh, I'm living in the past. Stupid cut and paste fail! Yes - Wednesday night's win over Wake.

Olympic Fan
02-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Just to update one vigil that I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Seth and Stephen Curry have now combined for 4,428 points ... that's the second best brother total in NCAA history.

They still trail Tyler and Ben Hansbrough, who had 4,485 between them at a variety of schools.

Seth needs 57 more points to tie the Hansbrough brothers ... 58 to take the record. It shouldn't be too long.

PS It just struck me about how similar the two brother combos are. Stephen and Tyler each played at one school -- and ended up as that school's career scoring leader. Ben Hansbrough started at Mississippi State and transferred to Notre Dame for his last two years. Seth started at Liberty and transferred to Duke.

Tyler outscored Stephen 2,872 to 2,635

Seth has already outscored Ben 1,793 to 1,635. Obviously, he's going to widen that lead.

It's going to be close, but wouldn't it be neat if the Curry brothers became the first brother combo to each top 2,000 points?

CDu
02-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Curry chipped in 21 in yesterday's blowout of FSU. He now has 1,814 points (707 at Liberty, 1,107 at Duke), leaving him 186 points shy of 2,000 for his career. Here's the breakdown of what he needs to do to get there:

12 games: 15.5 ppg
13 games: 14.31 ppg
14 games: 13.29 ppg
15 games: 12.4 ppg
16 games: 11.63 ppg
17 games: 10.94 ppg
18 games: 10.33 ppg
19 games: 9.79 ppg

Curry is currently averaging 16.3 ppg this season. So at this point, even if we lost in the first round of both the ACC and NCAA tournament, he doesn't even need to match his season average. The countdown continues![/QUOTE]

CDu
02-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Curry backed up Mason's 30 with 26 of his own in last night's handling of State. He now has 1,840 points (707 at Liberty, 1,133 at Duke), leaving him 160 points shy of 2,000 for his career. Here's the breakdown of what he needs to do to get there:

11 games: 14.55 ppg
12 games: 13.33 ppg
13 games: 12.31 ppg
14 games: 11.43 ppg
15 games: 10.67 ppg
16 games: 10.00 ppg
17 games: 9.41 ppg
18 games: 8.89 ppg

Curry is currently averaging 16.7 ppg this season. Barring injury, the question is when, not if, he'll get there. It's not inconceivable that he could do it in the game at Chapel Hill (he'd need to average "just" 17.8 ppg to do it). But a more realistic possibility would be the first or second game of the ACC tournament.

CDu
02-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Curry chipped in 18 in last night's squeaker against BC. He now has 1,858 points (707 at Liberty, 1,151 at Duke), leaving him 142 points shy of 2,000 for his career. Here's the breakdown of what he needs to do to get there:

10 games: 14.2 ppg
11 games: 12.91 ppg
12 games: 11.83 ppg
13 games: 10.92 ppg
14 games: 10.14 ppg
15 games: 9.47 ppg
16 games: 8.88 ppg
17 games: 8.35 ppg

Curry is currently averaging 16.8 ppg this season, and 17.5 ppg in ACC play. Barring injury, the question is when, not if, he'll get there. It's not inconceivable that he could do it in the game at Chapel Hill (he'd need to average "just" 17.75 ppg to do it). But perhaps a more realistic possibility would be the first game of the ACC tournament.[/QUOTE]

davekay1971
02-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Curry chipped in 18 in last night's squeaker against BC. He now has 1,858 points (707 at Liberty, 1,151 at Duke), leaving him 142 points shy of 2,000 for his career. Here's the breakdown of what he needs to do to get there:

10 games: 14.2 ppg
11 games: 12.91 ppg
12 games: 11.83 ppg
13 games: 10.92 ppg
14 games: 10.14 ppg
15 games: 9.47 ppg
16 games: 8.88 ppg
17 games: 8.35 ppg

Curry is currently averaging 16.8 ppg this season, and 17.5 ppg in ACC play. Barring injury, the question is when, not if, he'll get there. It's not inconceivable that he could do it in the game at Chapel Hill (he'd need to average "just" 17.75 ppg to do it). But perhaps a more realistic possibility would be the first game of the ACC tournament.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the updates on a great senior approaching a wonderful milestone (and congrats to the Curry brothers for their accomplishment in combined career NCAA scoring).

Here's hoping Seth passes the 2000 point on Wednesday night. What, scoring 142 by himself against the Tarheels is too much to ask?

CDu
02-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Curry had a big game in today's loss to Maryland (ugggh!). He now has 1,894 points (707 at Liberty, 1,187 at Duke), leaving him 106 points shy of 2,000 for his career. Here's the breakdown of what he needs to do to get there:

8 games: 13.25 ppg
9 games: 11.78 ppg
10 games: 10.6 ppg
11 games: 9.64 ppg
12 games: 8.83 ppg
13 games: 8.15 ppg
14 games: 7.57 ppg
15 games: 7.07 ppg

Curry is currently averaging 16.9 ppg this season, and 18.1 ppg in ACC play. Barring injury, the question is when, not if, he'll get there. At his ACC pace, he would reach 2,000 in the game at Chapel Hill (he'd need to average "just" 17.7 ppg to do it).

Saratoga2
02-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Curry had a big game in today's loss to Maryland (ugggh!). He now has 1,894 points (707 at Liberty, 1,187 at Duke), leaving him 106 points shy of 2,000 for his career. Here's the breakdown of what he needs to do to get there:

8 games: 13.25 ppg
9 games: 11.78 ppg
10 games: 10.6 ppg
11 games: 9.64 ppg
12 games: 8.83 ppg
13 games: 8.15 ppg
14 games: 7.57 ppg
15 games: 7.07 ppg

Curry is currently averaging 16.9 ppg this season, and 18.1 ppg in ACC play. Barring injury, the question is when, not if, he'll get there. At his ACC pace, he would reach 2,000 in the game at Chapel Hill (he'd need to average "just" 17.7 ppg to do it).

Since Maryland, Seth has scored 22 at VT and 11 against BC. By my calculations he is now at 1927 has a chance of getting to 2000 in the regular season. If his health holds up, he should go well beyond, provided Duke does anything at all in the tournaments.

rthomas
02-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Since Maryland, Seth has scored 22 at VT and 11 against BC. By my calculations he is now at 1927 has a chance of getting to 2000 in the regular season. If his health holds up, he should go well beyond, provided Duke does anything at all in the tournaments.

And I think Mason hit 999 rebounds today.

Indoor66
02-24-2013, 05:24 PM
And I think Mason hit 999 rebounds today.

Didn't he hit 1014 today? I think he started the game at 999 and had 15 today.

DukieInBrasil
02-24-2013, 06:15 PM

To quote the late, great Ed McMahon: You are CORRECT sir!

Indoor66
02-24-2013, 07:05 PM
To quote the late, great Ed McMahon: You are CORRECT sir!

How erudite. Quoting the Great Karnak's straight man.

dukelifer
02-24-2013, 09:59 PM

1 behind Singler. Needs 54 to be #4 behind Shelden, G-Man and Christian. Has a good shot.

CDu
02-25-2013, 10:39 AM

Yeah, I apparently dropped the ball this week. Since Maryland, Curry has added 22 against VT and 11 against BC. He now has 1,927 points (707 at Liberty, 1,220 at Duke), leaving him 73 points shy of 2,000 for his career. Barring injury, he's going to get there. Let's see what it would take to get there before (or during/after) the ACC tournament.

3 games: 24.33 ppg
4 games: 18.25 ppg
Tourney play:
5 games: 14.6 ppg
6 games: 12.17 ppg
7 games: 10.43 ppg
8 games: 9.12 ppg

So there's a reasonably decent chance he does it against UNC.

CDu
03-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Curry just keeps pouring it on. He had an amazing 28 points on 14 shots in the loss to UVa. He now has 1,955 points (707 at Liberty, 1,248 at Duke), leaving him 45 points shy of 2,000 for his career. Barring injury, he's going to get there. At this pace, it should happen before the ACC tournament. Let's see what it would take to get there before (or during/after) the ACC tournament.

2 games: 22.5 ppg
3 games: 15.0 ppg
Tourney play:
4 games: 11.25 ppg
5 games: 9.0 ppg
6 games: 7.5 ppg

I had been suggesting that it could happen at the UNC game. But at this pace, I wouldn't rule it out on senior night.

I'd also note that I'm beginning to wonder if Curry should be getting more praise in the PoY/1st Team ACC discussion. In conference play, he's averaging 18.1ppg, and has topped 20 points 9 times compared to 15.9 and 9.9 rpg for Mason. But over the last 8 games, Curry has averaged 20.3ppg, while Mason has averaged 15.1 ppg and 9.1rpg.

If I had to pick my 1st team All-ACC, I'd go Harris (PoY), Green, Curry, Plumlee, and Larkin.

HCheek37
03-01-2013, 10:37 AM
I'd also note that I'm beginning to wonder if Curry should be getting more praise in the PoY/1st Team ACC discussion. In conference play, he's averaging 18.1ppg, and has topped 20 points 9 times compared to 15.9 and 9.9 rpg for Mason. But over the last 8 games, Curry has averaged 20.3ppg, while Mason has averaged 15.1 ppg and 9.1rpg.

If I had to pick my 1st team All-ACC, I'd go Harris (PoY), Green, Curry, Plumlee, and Larkin.

I'd go Harris, Green, Curry, Howell and Larkin if we don't have to vote specific positions.

CDu
03-01-2013, 10:53 AM
I'd go Harris, Green, Curry, Howell and Larkin if we don't have to vote specific positions.

One could certainly make that case. I think Mason's ACC numbers are better than Howell's (definitely his scoring, not his rebounding).

In fact, I'm going to start a new thread for this topic.

ChillinDuke
03-01-2013, 03:52 PM
The name of this thread is now a "Watch" and not a "Vigil".

I am no longer interested.

(kidding)

- Chillin

CDu
03-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Curry had a tough night in our big win over Miami, scoring just 7. He now has 1,962 points (707 at Liberty, 1,255 at Duke), leaving him 38 points shy of 2,000 for his career. Barring injury, he's going to get there. With two good games to close, it could happen before the ACC tournament. Let's see what it would take to get there before (or during/after) the ACC tournament.

2 games: 19.0 ppg
Tourney play:
3 games: 12.67 ppg
4 games: 9.5 ppg
5 games: 7.6 ppg
6 games: 6.33 ppg

I had been suggesting that it could happen at the UNC game, and that's still a reasonable possibility. But after the tough night against Miami (and with Kelly returning to take some of the scoring pressure off of Curry), it might have to happen in our first ACC tourney game.

CDu
03-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Curry had a terrific senior night, scoring 20. He now has 1,982 points (707 at Liberty, 1,275 at Duke), leaving him just 18 points shy of 2,000 for his career. Barring injury, he's going to get there. With 18 points, he would get there against UNC on Saturday.

1 game: 18 ppg
Tourney play:
2 games: 9 ppg
3 games: 6 ppg

So assuming he plays in all of Duke's remaining games, he should get there. Even if he's awful, and even if Duke loses in the first round of each tournament. Neither of those last two is likely. Regardless, let's hope he does it in a convincing win over Carolina!

vick
03-05-2013, 10:47 PM
It's not as noteworthy an achievement, but I think Seth's also very close to breaking into the top-10 in all-time three pointers made at Duke. I believe the list is:

1. Redick 457
2. Langdon 342
3. Williams 313
4. Scheyer 297
5. Singler 267
6. Hurley 264
7. Battier 246
8. Capel 220
9. Ewing 217
10. Paulus 210
11. Collins 209
12. Curry 207

Not as important as points, of course, but it might be nice to see him get to 2000 and top-10 three point shooters at Duke in the same game against UNC.

basket1544
03-05-2013, 10:52 PM
My initial thought looking at that list is to think of how many 3s Seth would have shot at Duke in 4 years and my second is, "Oh my gosh, Jay Will shot the ball alot!"

COYS
03-06-2013, 10:52 AM
My initial thought looking at that list is to think of how many 3s Seth would have shot at Duke in 4 years and my second is, "Oh my gosh, Jay Will shot the ball alot!"

I am always amazed at how many shots JWill put up. Those teams played at a pretty fast pace, of course, but still! Making 313 threes in three years is pretty crazy. Just think, on a team that featured Dunleavy, Boozer, AND Battier, Jason used over 30% of the possessions on offense. Granted, some of those possessions were assists to those guys. However, your post says it all. "Jay Will shot the ball a lot!"

Ichabod Drain
03-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Curry decided to get it out of the way in the first half. No big deal.

DukieInBrasil
03-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Let's make sure we all give some props to Seth, who joined the 2,000 pts club with his performance last night! He's really picked up his game lately, and become very difficult to defend. Ryan's presence makes it so much easier for both Mason AND Seth to score well. Seth took advantage of UNC's D for an awesome variety of scores, a fantastic game from a Sr. leader!

JasonEvans
03-10-2013, 09:15 AM
It wasn't his 2000th point, but this was one of my favorite points of Seth's Duke career.

http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedia/2013/03/09/22/06/PbD7T.AuSt.156.jpg

-Jason "it looks like he is playing horse or something crazy like that" Evans

4Gen
03-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Seth is a cobra. Move, slide, left, right, hesitate, in, out... you're dead.

MCFinARL
03-10-2013, 12:08 PM
It wasn't his 2000th point, but this was one of my favorite points of Seth's Duke career.

Totally agree. This and Tyler Thornton knocking the ball out of bounds off of Bullock before crashing into the UNC bench were my favorite moments of the whole game.

davekay1971
03-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Congratulations, Seth. It's a great career accomplishment.

And every point puts more distance between the Curry brothers and the Hansbrough brothers, and a higher mountain to climb for the Zeller brothers. Any time a Duke guy is involved in keeping a Tarheel off a best-ever list, it's a good thing.

JasonEvans
03-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Congratulations, Seth. It's a great career accomplishment.

And every point puts more distance between the Curry brothers and the Hansbrough brothers, and a higher mountain to climb for the Zeller brothers. Any time a Duke guy is involved in keeping a Tarheel off a best-ever list, it's a good thing.

Cody is going pro after this season. The Zellers will not challenge the Currys.

-Jason "I'm rooting for the Murphy brothers to beat the record... because it would mean that Alex would score like 25 ppg over his next 3 years ;) " Evans

superdave
03-10-2013, 08:01 PM

Did this shot go in? Everything else did.

What a breathtaking start to the game.

2000 points is rare air. Congrats Seth! Make it 2200 and I'll name my firstborn after you!

Kedsy
03-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Did this shot go in?

You know it did, right? I laughed out loud when he scored on that one.

gam7
03-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Cody is going pro after this season. The Zellers will not challenge the Currys.

-Jason "I'm rooting for the Murphy brothers to beat the record... because it would mean that Alex would score like 25 ppg over his next 3 years ;) " Evans

Not necessarily. Brother Tomas Murphy is one of the best players in the eighth grade class (2017) and will likely add to their total.

Dukeface88
03-11-2013, 10:58 AM
one of the best players in the eighth grade class

I find this statement incredibly depressing.

Dev11
03-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Not necessarily. Brother Tomas Murphy is one of the best players in the eighth grade class (2017) and will likely add to their total.

Taylor King was the top recruit in the class of 2007 as of 2003.

gam7
03-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Taylor King was the top recruit in the class of 2007 as of 2003.

And he scored some D1 college points. :)

JasonEvans
03-11-2013, 01:13 PM
And he scored some D1 college points. :)

As well as some NAIA or something like that. What a waste!

-JE