PDA

View Full Version : Cockrell named Defensive Back of Week

jimsumner
09-17-2012, 06:16 PM
From Duke press release.

"Duke redshirt junior cornerback Ross Cockrell has earned ACC Defensive Back of the Week honors following the Blue Devils’ 54-17 win over N.C. Central this past weekend, the ACC Office announced on Monday.

A native of Waxhaw, N.C., Cockrell recorded six tackles, two interceptions and two pass breakups in the Bull City Gridiron Classic victory. He returned the second interception 32 yards for a touchdown.

On the season, Cockrell has 16 tackles, three interceptions and six pass breakups. He ranks tied for first nationally in both PBUs and total passes defended while standing tied for third in interceptions. In addition, Cockrell has moved into a tie for ninth place on the school’s all-time chart for PBUs with 22."

Note that Matt Daniels led Duke with two interceptions last season and Cockrell already has three this season.

Bob Green
09-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Congratulations to Ross Cockrell for the well deserved recognition.

TruBlu
09-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Ross is a keeper! Congrats!

Newton_14
09-17-2012, 08:37 PM
I was sitting just down from his parents and they went nuts on that Pick 6. Great to see. Russ is fast becoming my new hero on defense. Dude just makes plays. He just needs a few friends to come back from the injured list and join him in wreaking havoc on ACC offenses.

Congrats to Russ Cockrell on Player Of the Week! Well done!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-17-2012, 08:53 PM
I think we're just beginning to see what Ross can do. The Memphis game offers another opportunity for him to add to his growing list of fantastic plays. As a team, the guys need focus on making more big plays.... and Ross is the man to lead the way!:cool:

OldPhiKap
09-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Way to set the tone, Ross!!!

nyesq83
09-17-2012, 10:55 PM
So proud of Ross, he is a fine young man and a product of two great parents.

I went to High School with Ross' father, Kieth, who played football at Columbia U.

When I met Cutcliffe 4 years ago here in Richmond, I was impressed that Cut was really high on Ross.

If all of the players are as dedicated and play every down as hard and as focused as Ross, this team will go places.

Now, if the O line can get the running backs some operating room and if Renfree can resume throwing for long completions on a regular basis, we might have a winning season.

If only.

Olympic Fan
09-18-2012, 01:24 AM
I think Cockrell should serve as a reminder to us not to prejudge players who are sometimes forced by circumstances to play before they are reasy.

When Cockrell was forced to start as a redshirt freshman in 2010, he was not ready. Although he made some splendid plays, he was burned more times than I care to remember. Overall, it was a below average ACC corner. Last year, as a third-year sophomore, he was much, MUCH better -- a solid player ... probably an above-average ACC corner.

So far this year, he's been outstanding. Yeah, he's made a few mistakes (so does Darrelle Revis, the best CB on the planet at this moment). Through three games, he's probably the best CB in the ACC -- anybody who saw Tennessee burn David Amerson, a returning first-team All-American at NC State, time after time -- then saw Cockrell hold his own against Stanford's receiving corps (Cockrell and Canty were just about the only two Duke players to impress the Pac 10 crew doing the game), would give the edge to Cockrell ... so far. The stats back that up -- leading the nation in passes defended ... plus he's already scored two non-offensive touchdowns in three games.

My point is that if Duke were a more solid program, Cockrell would have been a spot player as a freshman and would have started playing a major role -- maybe as a nickel back -- as a sophomore.

I bring this up because before the season, there was a lot of criticism of LB Austin Gamble, another guy forced to play a major role before he was ready. I agree that in his first two seasons, Gamble was a below average ACC linebacker. I think this year -- when Gamble is a fourth-year junior -- he's finally doing a solid job. I think there are other young guys, especially on defense, who are still growing into their roles -- guys like Dez Johnson, Jamal Wallace, Nick Sink, Steven Ingram, David Helton, Kyler Brown ... Jamal Bruce was like that last season playing as a true freshman. The biggest tragedy of his injury is that he was sidelined just when it looked like he was ready to become an outstanding player.

A few guys are good when they are very young (such as Kelby Brown, Conner Vernon, Ross Martin) ... but others take time. With Ross Cockrell, we're going to get two seasons (this year and the next) of outstanding cornerback play.

Nicosandila
09-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Congrats Ross Cockrell!!

DukeSean
09-18-2012, 05:49 PM
I think Cockrell should serve as a reminder to us not to prejudge players who are sometimes forced by circumstances to play before they are reasy.

When Cockrell was forced to start as a redshirt freshman in 2010, he was not ready. Although he made some splendid plays, he was burned more times than I care to remember. Overall, it was a below average ACC corner. Last year, as a third-year sophomore, he was much, MUCH better -- a solid player ... probably an above-average ACC corner.

So far this year, he's been outstanding. Yeah, he's made a few mistakes (so does Darrelle Revis, the best CB on the planet at this moment). Through three games, he's probably the best CB in the ACC -- anybody who saw Tennessee burn David Amerson, a returning first-team All-American at NC State, time after time -- then saw Cockrell hold his own against Stanford's receiving corps (Cockrell and Canty were just about the only two Duke players to impress the Pac 10 crew doing the game), would give the edge to Cockrell ... so far. The stats back that up -- leading the nation in passes defended ... plus he's already scored two non-offensive touchdowns in three games.

My point is that if Duke were a more solid program, Cockrell would have been a spot player as a freshman and would have started playing a major role -- maybe as a nickel back -- as a sophomore.

I bring this up because before the season, there was a lot of criticism of LB Austin Gamble, another guy forced to play a major role before he was ready. I agree that in his first two seasons, Gamble was a below average ACC linebacker. I think this year -- when Gamble is a fourth-year junior -- he's finally doing a solid job. I think there are other young guys, especially on defense, who are still growing into their roles -- guys like Dez Johnson, Jamal Wallace, Nick Sink, Steven Ingram, David Helton, Kyler Brown ... Jamal Bruce was like that last season playing as a true freshman. The biggest tragedy of his injury is that he was sidelined just when it looked like he was ready to become an outstanding player.

A few guys are good when they are very young (such as Kelby Brown, Conner Vernon, Ross Martin) ... but others take time. With Ross Cockrell, we're going to get two seasons (this year and the next) of outstanding cornerback play.

Amen to that. It also serves as a good reminder that depth of talent takes a long time to build.