PDA

View Full Version : UNC-CH Chancellor Holden Thorpe to take top Job at WashU!

PackMan97
09-17-2012, 11:17 AM
...it's time. For both a vigil and for the cube master to go. I'm seeing a lot of smoke and where there is smoke there is sure to be a firing.

PackMan97
09-17-2012, 11:36 AM
I suck at vigils...this one was over quick.

http://www.wral.com/news/education/story/11555762/

grossbus
09-17-2012, 11:42 AM
that was funny. ;)

sagegrouse
09-17-2012, 11:46 AM

Man, you are some influential dude! Can I send you a list of other people I would like to resign?

sagegrouse

moonpie23
09-17-2012, 12:04 PM
"but i'm not firing roy!"........(sarcasm font please)

UrinalCake
09-17-2012, 12:09 PM
So... does the NC Board of Directors somehow feel that this will cause the NCAA to show leniency towards them regarding past behavior? As in, yes mistakes were made (which they love to say) but we're moving forward and everyone who was part of it is gone, so there's no reason to sanction us further.

Or alternately, is this more of a move for publicity?

Duvall
09-17-2012, 12:30 PM
So... does the NC Board of Directors somehow feel that this will cause the NCAA to show leniency towards them regarding past behavior? As in, yes mistakes were made (which they love to say) but we're moving forward and everyone who was part of it is gone, so there's no reason to sanction us further.

Or alternately, is this more of a move for publicity?

Neither, maybe? It seems more likely that Thorp's poor decisions in the Hansbrough affair just proved to be the last straw. Why would UNC *want* to keep Thorp at this point?

niveklaen
09-17-2012, 12:36 PM
What's weird to me is that he has announced that he is stepping down at the end of the year - he is not gone now, instead he will inger as a lame duck for the next 8 or so months - this is odd...

CLT Devil
09-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Should be interesting, if not damning, to see what former Gov. Martin comes up with in his investigation.

I wonder if he will be more or less inclined to 'tell tales (now that he's) out of school' when investigators come to him? OOH he'll be free and clear of the University's direct influence and no longer has the fear of losing his job. OTOH, a guy like this doesn't get to the position he's in without a keen sense of self-preservation, as demonstrated through the suspicious decisions over the last year such as allowing Tami 'On The Go' Hansbrough to remain in a role w/ the school after getting word of improprieties. He only has his legacy to protect (and perhaps some of his cronies) at this point and it's already a dubious legacy regardless of what else is dug up moving forward - maybe the rabbit hole is much deeper than what's been oozing out ever since Marvin Austin signed up on twitter. The investigation could get bloated if all we've seen is only what the University couldn't keep from getting out there, or maybe what's out there [I]is [I] all that exists, for the most part.

I love seeing the Tar Heels squirm as much as anybody, and it's hard to grasp what all could be brought to light if Thorpe is willing to tell Gov. Martin everything but our relationship is symbiotic, both in academics as well as sports. I don't think I'm overstating in thinking that this could be a major blow to UNC if there are a dozen more examples of poor judgement by UNC admins and the punishments by the State and the NCAA are such as to make an example of why a school shouldn't do these type of things. It will be interesting to see, but the full effect might not be realized until years from now.

Bottom line is Thorpe had to go, most UNC Alumns/Fans I know are cheering.

JTH
09-17-2012, 12:49 PM

...you don't suck. In fact, please feel free to start an Ole Roy vigil. The sooner the better.

PS Will the last person in the AD please turn out the lights?

CameronBlue
09-17-2012, 01:10 PM
...you don't suck. In fact, please feel free to start an Ole Roy vigil. The sooner the better.

PS Will the last person in the AD please turn out the lights?

I like the picture too. That over the shoulder jacket sling thing is tricky to pull off.

Doctor Mu
09-17-2012, 01:50 PM

Another Rogue goes down!

They're circling the wagons around roy and the basketball program.

Doctor Mu
09-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Should be interesting, if not damning, to see what former Gov. Martin comes up with in his investigation.

I wonder if he will be more or less inclined to 'tell tales (now that he's) out of school' when investigators come to him? OOH he'll be free and clear of the University's direct influence and no longer has the fear of losing his job. OTOH, a guy like this doesn't get to the position he's in without a keen sense of self-preservation, as demonstrated through the suspicious decisions over the last year such as allowing Tami 'On The Go' Hansbrough to remain in a role w/ the school after getting word of improprieties. He only has his legacy to protect (and perhaps some of his cronies) at this point and it's already a dubious legacy regardless of what else is dug up moving forward - maybe the rabbit hole is much deeper than what's been oozing out ever since Marvin Austin signed up on twitter. The investigation could get bloated if all we've seen is only what the University couldn't keep from getting out there, or maybe what's out there [I]is [I] all that exists, for the most part.

I love seeing the Tar Heels squirm as much as anybody, and it's hard to grasp what all could be brought to light if Thorpe is willing to tell Gov. Martin [U]everything[U] but our relationship is symbiotic, both in academics as well as sports. I don't think I'm overstating in thinking that this could be a major blow to UNC if there are a dozen more examples of poor judgement by UNC admins and the punishments by the State and the NCAA are such as to make an example of why a school shouldn't do these type of things. It will be interesting to see, but the full effect might not be realized until years from now.

That's the reason for the quick decision. Thorp knows too much. Silence is (a) golden (parachute).

OldPhiKap
09-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Where can I send in my application?

Maybe I'll start a "Name OPK New Chancellor of UNC Vigil" thread.

NSDukeFan
09-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Where can I send in my application?

Maybe I'll start a "Name OPK New Chancellor of UNC Vigil" thread.

Get PackMan97 to start it and you will be Chancellor by the end of the day.

mdj
09-17-2012, 02:44 PM
That's the reason for the quick decision. Thorp knows too much. Silence is (a) golden (parachute).

well said

hudlow
09-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Lux libertas.......;)

devildeac
09-17-2012, 03:29 PM
I'd like to nominate Ozzie for some of the open positions over in the athletic department at unc. He was unsuccessful in his bid for AD at Duke in the past and he may even have applied for the FB HC position at one time. I can't imagine what kind of havoc he could/would create over there if given a day or two;).

hurleyfor3
09-17-2012, 04:08 PM
No longer a Vigil.

hudlow
09-17-2012, 05:11 PM
No longer a Vigil.

How about a "who will be the new chancellor at Cheater U. vigil?"

SmartDevil
09-17-2012, 10:16 PM

I love seeing the Tar Heels squirm as much as anybody, and it's hard to grasp what all could be brought to light if Thorpe is willing to tell Gov. Martin everything but our relationship is symbiotic, both in academics as well as sports. I don't think I'm overstating in thinking that this could be a major blow to UNC if there are a dozen more examples of poor judgement by UNC admins and the punishments by the State and the NCAA are such as to make an example of why a school shouldn't do these type of things. It will be interesting to see, but the full effect might not be realized until years from now.

I don't think Thorp will blabber much of interest.

And I don't expect the Martin panel at best to be much more than a semi-whitewash. If UNC really wanted a thorough investigation, why didn't they bring in someone completely independent and with actual high-level investigative and investigagtive management experience as PSU did with Freeh?

roywhite
09-17-2012, 10:35 PM
I don't think Thorp will blabber much of interest.

And I don't expect the Martin panel at best to be much more than a semi-whitewash. If UNC really wanted a thorough investigation, why didn't they bring in someone completely independent and with actual high-level investigative and investigagtive management experience as PSU did with Freeh?

Yikes, I hope they learned something from Penn State. Hiring Freeh and accepting his entire report without review was an absolute disaster for the school.

SmartDevil
09-18-2012, 12:49 AM
Yikes, I hope they learned something from Penn State. Hiring Freeh and accepting his entire report without review was an absolute disaster for the school.

Agree PSU Board should have reveiwed the Freeh report thoroughly.

My point though is that Freeh did not have the biases and obligations that Martin will have re: UNC....nor does Martin have the professional experience suited to the task that Freeh had.

Dukehky
09-18-2012, 01:27 PM
I would like to put my name into consideration for the job Thorpe left.

First line of business, people want to to compare UNC to an Ivy League school (some people do believe it or not) then we are going to run our athletics like the Ivy League, no more athletic scholarships.

MulletMan
09-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Agree PSU Board should have reveiwed the Freeh report thoroughly.

My point though is that Freeh did not have the biases and obligations that Martin will have re: UNC....nor does Martin have the professional experience suited to the task that Freeh had.

So the reason that I came into the thread today was to see if anyone had seen anything regarding this "review" that Martin's report will undergo. My google searching turned up the same stuff that I was recollecting... mainly that when Thorp announced the report, he said it would be shared with 4 members of the BOG in a closed meeting.

Was that meeting part of his meeting with them last weekend? Is the investigation/report done?

SmartDevil
09-19-2012, 04:22 PM
So the reason that I came into the thread today was to see if anyone had seen anything regarding this "review" that Martin's report will undergo. My google searching turned up the same stuff that I was recollecting... mainly that when Thorp announced the report, he said it would be shared with 4 members of the BOG in a closed meeting.

Was that meeting part of his meeting with them last weekend? Is the investigation/report done?

And when will the report--or the prelimnary information gathered--be available to the press and public on request under the law? Or will it never be released or only a summary or edited version released.

BD80
09-19-2012, 04:43 PM
... when Thorp announced the report, he said it would be shared with 4 members of the BOG in a closed meeting. ...

Why do my thoughts flash to the scene from "Blazing Saddles" in the Govenor's office?

"I didn't get a harumpf outta that guy!"

camion
09-19-2012, 06:04 PM

I believe the report was completed well before Martin was chosen to head the review.

That's a joke son. :p

Or is it?

hudlow
09-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Uh-OH!

Baby don't go.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/UNC-CH-board-asks-resigning-chancellor-to-stay-3878510.php

Did the check bounce?

devil84
09-19-2012, 08:22 PM
These are just some of the stories from the Raleigh News & Observer over the last 3 days. Links included, but the titles are enough to raise eyebrows. Influenced by Carolina J-School much?

Like many university leaders, UNC's Thorp struggled with athletics scandals (http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/18/2350014/like-many-university-leaders-thorp.html#storylink=misearch)
UNC athletic officials stunned by Thorp's decision (http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/18/2350272/unc-athletic-officials-stunned.html#storylink=misearch)
Chancellor Thorp flew with former UNC fundraisers (http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/18/2349959/chancellor-thorp-flew-with-since.html#storylink=misearch)
DeCock: Thorp latest to fall at UNC (http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/18/2349956/decock-thorp-latest-to-fall-at.html#storylink=misearch)
Faculty ask Thorp to stay as UNC-CH chancellor (http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/18/2351374/faculty-to-ask-thorp-to-stay-unc.html#storylink=misearch)
UNC-CH faculty to Holden Thorp: Please stay (http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/18/2351167/faculty-to-thorp-please-stay.html#storylink=misearch)
UNC-CH board asks resigning chancellor to stay (http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/19/2354239/unc-chapel-hill-board-meets-in.html#storylink=misearch)
UNC-CH board asks resigning chancellor to stay (http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/19/2354522/unc-ch-board-asks-resigning-chancellor.html#storylink=misearch) (different than previous story)

Many university leaders have struggled with athletics scandals? I'm thinking there are more than there should be, but hardly "many." Thorp flew with the former fundraisers? Ok....so the next article agrees he's in line to go, even saying, "Stepping aside now is best for the university, as it should open the door for a forthright and honest examination of the core values of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the reaffirmation of basic principles of ethics and integrity not just in the athletic department but all across campus." Ok... Then there are four stories on how the faculty thinks it's best for the university if he stays. Hmmmm.....

Atlanta Duke
09-19-2012, 08:50 PM
The votes are in - everyone wants Chancellor Thorp to stay!

Trustees passed a resolution saying that “Carolina is better today because of him”...

With its action Wednesday, the board became the latest group on campus to implore Thorp to stay on as chancellor. Others include the executive branch of student government, three faculty groups and the Employee Forum, which represents thousands of staff at the university....

“His leadership in terms of advancing the core academic mission of the university has been overshadowed by the unfortunate incidents that happened on his watch but were not of his making.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/19/2354639/unc-ch-trustees-ask-holden-thorp.html

So unless Thorp is personally sporting about with Ms. Hansbrough or teaching no show classes he should not be blamed for the actions of "others." Sounds like a plan

kexman
02-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Thorp was hired as the number 2 at Wash U. (provost). The UNC academic thread is over 1000 posts. Anyone willing to summarize Thorp's role in the scandal beyond being the president and why he resigned. I'm curious as to why Wash U would hire him so soon after the scandal unless they think he really wasn't involved.

Here is the link:
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/washington-university-picks-north-carolina-chancellor-for-key-post/article_b4b42fe3-4d3d-51e7-9d66-43335f4ba391.html

PDDuke85
02-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Thorp was hired as the number 2 at Wash U. (provost). The UNC academic thread is over 1000 posts. Anyone willing to summarize Thorp's role in the scandal beyond being the president and why he resigned. I'm curious as to why Wash U would hire him so soon after the scandal unless they think he really wasn't involved.

Here is the link:
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/washington-university-picks-north-carolina-chancellor-for-key-post/article_b4b42fe3-4d3d-51e7-9d66-43335f4ba391.html

This is a great day for Huskies Athletics.

arnie
02-18-2013, 11:08 AM

Wrong Washington - Holden and the Bears.

sagegrouse
02-18-2013, 11:10 AM

Uh,... this is Washington University in St. Louis (Wash U. not U-Dub). Wash U. is Division III in athletics, which is one reason it is less well-known than its public school namesake.

The article cites Thorp's relief in getting out of public higher education. Apparently he is a biomedical researcher with some patents and business experience. There was speculation that he might eventually accede to the Chancellorship there -- Thorp is only 48 and the incumbent is 63.

sagegrouse

PDDuke85
02-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Uh,... this is Washington University in St. Louis (Wash U. not U-Dub). Wash U. is Division III in athletics, which is one reason it is less well-known than its public school namesake.

The article cites Thorp's relief in getting out of public higher education. Apparently he is a biomedical researcher with some patents and business experience. There was speculation that he might eventually accede to the Chancellorship there -- Thorp is only 48 and the incumbent is 63.

sagegrouse

yangu mbaya

sagegrouse
02-18-2013, 12:09 PM
yangu mbaya

Il n'y a pas de quoi. Actuellement (whew, getting hard) my point in defense of Duke athletics is that it does promote the university as an academic insitution. And Exhibit A is Wash. U. Not exactly a houselhold name, is it? And yet it is a highly rated university with a wonderful Med School. Although the University cites its geographic diversity (http://admissions.wustl.edu/faq/pages/aboutwashingtonuniversity.aspx), first-hand reports are that it is also a commuter campus and the social life is somewhat uninteresting as a result. Exhibit B is Emory.

sagegrouse

kexman
02-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Il n'y a pas de quoi. Actuellement (whew, getting hard) my point in defense of Duke athletics is that it does promote the university as an academic insitution. And Exhibit A is Wash. U. Not exactly a houselhold name, is it? And yet it is a highly rated university with a wonderful Med School. Although the University cites its geographic diversity (http://admissions.wustl.edu/faq/pages/aboutwashingtonuniversity.aspx), first-hand reports are that it is also a commuter campus and the social life is somewhat uninteresting as a result. Exhibit B is Emory.

sagegrouse

I'm not sure where or when your first hand reports are from, but I would say that Wash U is not in any way a commuter school. US News (for what it is worth) ranks Wash U #14 for undergrad and #6 for Medicine (3 spots above duke). The undergrad rankings have improved a lot in the last 10-15 years. Not sure about the social life on campus. I do agree that the lack of Division I sports hurts Wash U's name recognition among the masses.

p.s. I do tweak the undergrads here by reminding them that a decent school should not have to have the city in its title.

rasputin
02-18-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm not sure where or when your first hand reports are from, but I would say that Wash U is not in any way a commuter school. US News (for what it is worth) ranks Wash U #14 for undergrad and #6 for Medicine (3 spots above duke). The undergrad rankings have improved a lot in the last 10-15 years. Not sure about the social life on campus. I do agree that the lack of Division I sports hurts Wash U's name recognition among the masses.

p.s. I do tweak the undergrads here by reminding them that a decent school should not have to have the city in its title.

The city being in the title is there to try to avoid the confusion that took place in the thread above. And although there are a lot of locals who go to school there, Wash U is by no means a commuter school.

And, by the way, athletically Wash U has been a Division III powerhouse in basketball (especially women's) and volleyball.

throatybeard
02-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Good Lord.

tele
02-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Good Lord.

Kind of reminds me of when the Cards hired Mcguire as hitting coach...:)

throatybeard
02-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Kind of reminds me of when the Cards hired Mcguire as hitting coach...:)

I'll go further. Pete Carroll has to leave USC so that the sanctions don't hit him, and the Seahawks say come on down!

PSurprise
02-18-2013, 10:11 PM
So I guess since he's moving to a Div-III school, he doesn't have to sit out a year before he can begin on his next academic scandal?:)

burnspbesq
02-19-2013, 01:24 AM
I'm willing to bet that somewhere on Inside Carolina, there is a post expressing the hope that Thorp will take Ol' Roy and/or Sylvia with him, and another post bemoaning the fact that because WashU doesn't play lacrosse, he can't take Breschi with him.

cspan37421
02-19-2013, 08:54 AM
What does this say about WUSTL?

Imagine those HS seniors who, having been turned off by UNC's scandal, took UNC off their list but still applied to WUSTL.

Duvall
02-19-2013, 09:24 AM
What does this say about WUSTL?

Imagine those HS seniors who, having been turned off by UNC's scandal, took UNC off their list but still applied to WUSTL.

I doubt there are many such people, if any.

cspan37421
02-19-2013, 04:17 PM
I doubt there are many such people, if any.

I know of one.

oldnavy
02-19-2013, 05:33 PM
I know of one.

Dang, what are the odds? Tell that kid to stay away from the lotto.

throatybeard
11-04-2013, 01:14 PM
The most enjoyable graph is the first one:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/national/college-presidents-find-smaller-can-be-better/article_068e54a4-6018-51a1-ad2f-0df1267951cc.html

sagegrouse
11-04-2013, 08:22 PM

http://www.stltoday.com/news/national/college-presidents-find-smaller-can-be-better/article_068e54a4-6018-51a1-ad2f-0df1267951cc.html

Even casual readers deserve the money quote from this AP story:

ST. LOUIS • After five scandal-plagued years as chancellor at the University of North Carolina, Holden Thorp was downright ecstatic to start over on a campus where the term “student-athlete” doesn’t evince snickers and groans.

Tee-hee. -- Sagegrouse

miramar
11-04-2013, 09:18 PM

The new provost at Washington University spends little time worrying about academically suspect jocks — as a Division III school, Washington U. doesn’t even award athletic scholarships. It’s a far cry from Chapel Hill, where an academic fraud investigation found dozens of athletes taking no-show classes, along with assorted other abuses...

OldPhiKap
11-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Even casual readers deserve the money quote from this AP story:

Tee-hee. -- Sagegrouse

And it continues:

The new provost at Washington University spends little time worrying about academically suspect jocks — as a Division III school, Washington U. doesn’t even award athletic scholarships. It’s a far cry from Chapel Hill, where an academic fraud investigation found dozens of athletes taking no-show classes, along with assorted other abuses, and led to Thorp’s resignation from the top job at his alma mater — the sole college he applied to as a high school senior in Fayetteville, N.C.

“I wanted to get back closer to the academic side of things,” said Thorp, who arrived in St. Louis three months ago. “Washington University, more than a public university, is on the whole more unapologetically devoted to academic achievement as its primary focus.” For him, “that is a liberating feeling.”

Damning, damning, damning.

oldnavy
11-05-2013, 06:46 AM
And it continues:

Damning, damning, damning.

Yea, but isn't this a little deceptive? If I remember correctly Thorpe was right there in the middle of the mess at UNC, not some shielded faculty member who was powerless to do anything against the powers to be. Maybe I am remembering it wrong, but I seem to remember him as spineless when all this was going on under his watch.

TKG
11-05-2013, 06:55 AM
Yea, but isn't this a little deceptive? If I remember correctly Thorpe was right there in the middle of the mess at UNC, not some shielded faculty member who was powerless to do anything against the powers to be. Maybe I am remembering it wrong, but I seem to remember him as spineless when all this was going on under his watch.

Reinforcing the "unc-athletic-department-as-windshield- faculty-and-administration-as-bug" relationship that continues to exist at the public ivy of Orange County.

miramar
11-05-2013, 07:10 AM

"I see nothing, nothing..."

Of course, I realize that a lot of people will ask, "Who is Sergeant Schultz?"

OldPhiKap
11-05-2013, 07:14 AM

If you have to ask, you should be thrown in the Klink.

wilson
11-05-2013, 08:40 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

johnb
11-05-2013, 10:14 AM
he should be able to teach these guys to avoid academic distraction:

http://bearsports.wustl.edu/Sports/Content/Pages/mbk7-17-13.aspx