Duke has opened as a 24 points favorite over the 0-3 Memphis Tigers:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

Discuss the game here.

devildeac
09-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Duke has opened as a 24 points favorite over the 0-3 Memphis Tigers:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

Discuss the game here.

I'll take 24 points in a bet. With a rack of ribs and a couple sides. Let's say slaw and potato salad;).

Olympic Fan
09-17-2012, 12:31 AM
Taking nothing for granted, but this should be a pretty certain win. Memphis is 0-3 against the likes of Tennessee-Martin (17-20), Arkansas State (28-33) and Middle Tennessee (30-48).

They were outgained by more than 300 yards by Arkansas State ... tey stayed in the game with a couple of special team touchdowns. Going into this weekend, they were ranked No. 6 in the Bottom 10. Then again, Pitt was ranked No. 7 and they just went out and dominated Virginia Tech.

davekay1971
09-17-2012, 09:17 AM
There is plenty for Duke to work on this week. The NCCU win was a nice one, particularly seeing the team build a comfortable lead in the first half then play much better in the 2nd half.

For this game, Duke should be able to move the ball at will, and I hope we do alot of that movement on the ground and in the verticle passing game. We should also try to really get dominant on the defensive line and get pressure to the quarterback.

Finally, we need to heal. We should beat Memphis while resting our wounded warriors, but we're going to need as many guys back, and healthy, as possible against Wake.

CameronBornAndBred
09-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Good attitude from Cut in this quote.

“I don’t feel near as giddy as I did after that FIU game,” Cutcliffe said Sunday. “I think (we got) a dose of reality out west. I need our leaders, our captains, our seniors, our starters, everyone here needs to take to heart what we need to do to get better.”
http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/20172101/article-Duke-seeks-to-keep-edge-after-big-win?
I don't know anything about Memphis other than they suck, but Duke can suck too. We have lots to keep working on if we hope to make noise in October when we need to, so this game could not come at a better time. Also, hopefully, we can still keep some of the injured guys recovering and rested on the sidelines without worry.

DukeSean
09-17-2012, 03:13 PM
I really would like to see us focus on getting the running game established. We're obviously not a power running team, but that's something we need to work on before we get to conference play, and Memphis is a good team to get that ball rolling. I thought it would be NCCU, but that didn't materialize (I know they have John Drew and a pretty good d-line, but they're still a FCS team, and we should be able to run effectively against one).

I rarely (if ever) see us try delayed handoffs, anyone have a theory as to why? We do plenty of quick drops and short passes, and I feel like a delay here and there would be effective.

CameronBornAndBred
09-17-2012, 06:29 PM
I'll take 24 points in a bet. With a rack of ribs and a couple sides. Let's say slaw and potato salad;).
The True Blue 'Cue Crew will have everything you need, plus a hefty amount of pulled pork. And absolutely none of it will be "Memphis Style". :D(By the way, we now have a twitter account (sigh) so if you want to keep up with the menu before game time, we are @TBCCrew.)

dpslaw
09-17-2012, 08:01 PM
You guys easily beat "Memphis style." Maybe you should call it Beat Memphis style!:p

Bob Green
09-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Memphis has given up an average of 219 yards rushing per game over its first three games. That is 108th out of 120 FBS teams. I really desire to see Duke come out at the start of the game and establish a running game. Once that happens, Renfree should be able to utilize play action pass plays to burn Memphis down the field to Vernon and Crowder.

This is our last non-conference opponent so we need to work out all the kinks and fine tune the offense in preparation for the ACC schedule.

sagegrouse
09-18-2012, 06:06 PM
One of those posts that go BUMP in the night. Go Devils!

mkline09
09-18-2012, 07:09 PM
I think it will be important to come out on offense and be aggressive on first and second down. Stay away from swing passes and screens on first down at least. Get some positive yards, and try to establish some semblance of a running game. I liked what I saw out of Jela Duncan and apparently do did Cutcliffe who said in his teleconference that he and the staff would look at getting him more carries earlier in the game. Also want to see Josh Snead get in the open field. And go down field often.

Dev11
09-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Hope that Homecoming and the evening start time can boost attendance. I'm hoping to remove the after-taste of the Stanford game.

Bob Green
09-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Memphis preview: http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/09/know ... is-tigers/

Patrick does a nice job as usual on the preview.

From a statistics viewpoint, Memphis is a horrible defensive team. They rank 91/120 in pass defense, 108/120 in rush defense and 108/120 in total defense. Our offense should be able to move the ball at will against the Tigers. Teams are rushing for right at 220 yards per game against Memphis. If we can't establish a running game this Saturday, we will not do it any Saturday this season. I want to see us come out in a formation with Renfree under center and two tight ends, run the ball, and then utilize play action to burn the Tigers down the field. Who knows, if we accomplish those two objectives FIRST, a couple of bubble screens might actually catch the defense napping. :cool:

Additionally, the offense needs to be fast paced. Renfree seems to be able to get into a better flow when operating quickly and Patrick's preview indicates Memphis' defense is prone to wearing down in the 4th quarter. That appears to be a strength against weakness scenario to me.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-19-2012, 12:44 PM

From a statistics viewpoint, Memphis is a horrible defensive team. They rank 91/120 in pass defense, 108/120 in rush defense and 108/120 in total defense. Our offense should be able to move the ball at will against the Tigers. Teams are rushing for right at 220 yards per game against Memphis. If we can't establish a running game this Saturday, we will not do it any Saturday this season. I want to see us come out in a formation with Renfree under center and two tight ends, run the ball, and then utilize play action to burn the Tigers down the field. Who knows, if we accomplish those two objectives FIRST, a couple of bubble screens might actually catch the defense napping. :cool:

Additionally, the offense needs to be fast paced. Renfree seems to be able to get into a better flow when operating quickly and Patrick's preview indicates Memphis' defense is prone to wearing down in the 4th quarter. That appears to be a strength against weakness scenario to me.
Thanks for those highlights, Bob. You are so right about the bountiful opportunities this game offers!

CameronBornAndBred
09-19-2012, 01:51 PM

From a statistics viewpoint, Memphis is a horrible defensive team. They rank 91/120 in pass defense, 108/120 in rush defense and 108/120 in total defense. .
Sadly, even with Ross Cockrell seemingly knocking and stealing everything out of the sky, we rank lower than Memphis on the pass defense. Only 12 teams between us and the bottom. And overall, only 6 teams separate Duke and Memphis. Here's a chance to pick up our numbers a bit.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/stats/byteam?cat1=defense&cat2=Passing&conference=I-A_all

Bob Green
09-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Sadly, even with Ross Cockrell seemingly knocking and stealing everything out of the sky, we rank lower than Memphis on the pass defense. Only 12 teams between us and the bottom. And overall, only 6 teams separate Duke and Memphis. Here's a chance to pick up our numbers a bit.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/stats/byteam?cat1=defense&cat2=Passing&conference=I-A_all

Yes, but while Duke has a low ranking in pass defense, we are 38/120 in rush defense and 76/120 in total defense. Memphis is ranked low across the board. However, your point is spot on. We need to tighten up against the pass moving forward. Typically, teams are ineffective against the pass in a large part due to insufficient pressure being applied to the opponent's quarterback. This doesn't appear to be the case so far this season as Duke is currently tied for 27th in sacks with eight in three games. We are also tied for 31st in interceptions so it seems our troubles are associated with being susceptible to giving up the big play.

DukeSean
09-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Typically, teams are ineffective against the pass in a large part due to insufficient pressure being applied to the opponent's quarterback. This doesn't appear to be the case so far this season as Duke is currently tied for 27th in sacks with eight in three games. We are also tied for 31st in interceptions so it seems our troubles are associated with being susceptible to giving up the big play.

Another factor is the result of our 3 games: all blowouts that were decided early on. In the wins, being ahead by a lot allowed us to rest some starters and give FIU and NCCU some air yardage in garbage time. In our loss to Stanford, well...our secondary just got beat badly by a very good team

jafarr1
09-19-2012, 04:07 PM
^ Against Stanford, it's also worth noting that our offense couldn't stay on the field for more than 3-4 plays at a time in the first half, which gave Stanford a lot more time with the ball.

jimsumner
09-19-2012, 04:17 PM
^ Against Stanford, it's also worth noting that our offense couldn't stay on the field for more than 3-4 plays at a time in the first half, which gave Stanford a lot more time with the ball.

It's also worth noting that Duke ran 86 plays against Stanford, while Stanford ran 59 plays against Duke. Duke had a 33:15 to 26:45 edge in time-of-possession.

So, perhaps fatigue wasn't the D's problem. :)

mkline09
09-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Here is a look at Memphis from a Memphis Insider.
While there is fan support for the Tigers, it seems to be waning and even the most optimistic aren't expecting much against Duke.

http://dukesportsblog.com/2012/09/18/duke-memphis-a-look-at-this-weeks-opponent.aspx

jafarr1
09-19-2012, 10:30 PM
It's also worth noting that Duke ran 86 plays against Stanford, while Stanford ran 59 plays against Duke. Duke had a 33:15 to 26:45 edge in time-of-possession.

So, perhaps fatigue wasn't the D's problem. :)

You'll note I said "in the first half". The two teams ran almost the same number of plays in the first half, but a large number of Duke's offensive possessions book-ended the half. The punt return for a TD gave Duke a pair of offensive possessions at the start, and Duke finally managed a couple of longer possessions at the end. In the middle, Duke's defense spent a lot of extra time on the field without much rest. At one point, we had four three-and-outs in a row.

I'll admit it wasn't as big a discrepancy as I thought, but my point was that our offense could have done more to help our defense. And I thought the defense did well to only give up 16 points in the half.

Bob Green
09-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Here are links to a couple of articles at The Commercial Appeal:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/sep/20/tigers-rhodes-to-miss-game/

When the Tigers (0-3) play Duke Saturday at Wallace Wade Stadium, Rhodes, the U of M's leading rusher with 224 yards on 52 carries, will remain in Memphis. Tiger coach Justin Fuente said Rhodes, a junior, is staying in Memphis because of a personal reason. Rhodes missed practices Tuesday and Wednesday because of the situation.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/sep/20/is-it-the-same-old-duke-football-team-or-are/

But one question persists: Which is the real Duke team?

The one that averaged 50 points and 414 total yards in routs of Florida International and North Carolina Central? Or the one that couldn't get out of its own way in a blowout loss at Stanford?

I enjoy going to our opponent's hometown newspaper and reading their articles about the game.

jimsumner
09-20-2012, 01:17 PM
You'll note I said "in the first half". The two teams ran almost the same number of plays in the first half, but a large number of Duke's offensive possessions book-ended the half. The punt return for a TD gave Duke a pair of offensive possessions at the start, and Duke finally managed a couple of longer possessions at the end. In the middle, Duke's defense spent a lot of extra time on the field without much rest. At one point, we had four three-and-outs in a row.

I'll admit it wasn't as big a discrepancy as I thought, but my point was that our offense could have done more to help our defense. And I thought the defense did well to only give up 16 points in the half.

I was tempted to say that Stanford's offense rarely ran more than three or four plays.

But that seemed like piling on. :)

No question that the FIU stats were distorted by the end of the game, when their first-team offense had two long scoring drives against Duke's end-of-the-bench scrubs.

But the stats we're citing are game stats, not half stats. Duke ran 27 more plays than Stanford, which should also be reflected in the stats. If Duke's defense wasn't on the field very much in the second half against Stanford, that would be reflected in the stats.

Duke allowed a 4-play, 43-yard drive at the beginning of the second half. Can't imagine fatigue being a factor.

Stanford scored on a punt return and a pick-six. Their seven offensive scoring drives took seven, eight, seven, seven, four, two, and four plays. The longest ran 3:05 off the clock. This wasn't Navy or Georgia Tech keeping the ball for 15 plays.

Stanford threw 33 passes, resulting in 281 yards. FIU passed for 301, NCCU 280. FIU and NCCU picked up a lot of those yards after the game had been decided. Stanford picked up the bulk of their passing yardage when the outcome was still (relatively speaking) in doubt, during a half in which Duke played poorly in pretty much every facet of the game. If anything, Duke's stat line benefitted from meaningless yards picked up late in a blow-out.

You're correct. The offense could have helped the defense. But the defense could have helped the offense, with a turnover, a three-and-out. And the special teams could have helped both. It was a team-wide collapse.

Bob Green
09-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Here is a link to the ACC Sports Journal's preview of this week's ACC games:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/2012092113476/acc-weekend-preview-sept-21.php

FWIW, Andrew Skwara predicts a 48-24 win for the Blue Devils and states Memphis will make Duke's offense look "scary good."

CameronBornAndBred
09-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Here is a link to the ACC Sports Journal's preview of this week's ACC games:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/2012092113476/acc-weekend-preview-sept-21.php

FWIW, Andrew Skwara predicts a 48-24 win for the Blue Devils and states Memphis will make Duke's offense look "scary good."

Here's a quote I found yesterday.

Memphis will now head out on their first real road trip and will face a Duke team that is bigger and more physical than any team Memphis has faced this year.
I don't think I've ever read that Duke will be the biggest and most physical team an opponent has played.
http://sportschatplace.com/college-football/ryan/2012/september/22/duke/memphis/

Bob Green
09-21-2012, 09:07 AM
I don't think I've ever read that Duke will be the biggest and most physical team an opponent has played.

It is absolutely fantastic to read those words. Hopefully, we read them more often in the future. Tomorrow is a big opportunity for Duke as a win to go 3-1 will match Coach Cutcliffe's best start at Duke. I'm excited!

diveonthefloor
09-21-2012, 08:51 PM
I enjoy going to our opponent's hometown newspaper and reading their articles about the game.

Love your posts, Bob!

My family and I live in Memphis. The locals here are dreading this game. Almost like they are scheduled to visit a friend with a terminal illness, hoping the friend doesn't die.....

Duke *should* (emphasis on should) destroy Memphis. But who knows? That's why they play the games.....

davekay1971
09-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Game Day! Let's go Duke! Get to 3-1, dominate the Tigers, and roll on!

OldPhiKap
09-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Let's Go DUKE!!!!!!!

Dukehky
09-22-2012, 06:34 PM
No push on the offensive line, like at all... Hopefully they're just getting warmed up.

BigWayne
09-22-2012, 06:50 PM
No push on the offensive line, like at all... Hopefully they're just getting warmed up.

Just got home and fired up Espn3. 1st play....

Well, we're back to the Stanford game plan of throwing swing passes, This time for a pick 6 on the 3 yard line.

Sixthman
09-22-2012, 07:48 PM
First half offensive performance was so sickening that Vernon spent part of second quarter throwing up into a trash can. No energy or apparent effort on offense. Special teams look horrible. Defense has been the bright spot. If the second half looks like first it will be time for basketball season for this diehard football fan.

DukeSean
09-22-2012, 08:02 PM
A less than stellar performance so far. Turnovers and poor special teams (until a recovered inside kick) are keeping Memphis a lot closer than they really should be. Our defense has been quite good, limiting the Memphis offense.

Renfree had a horrible pick-6 that I seemed to have been watching in slow motion. It was a bad throw and decision, but a big part of that was, once again, the all of running game. So instead of turning to the running game to get us out of a pinned down situation Renfree had to throw out of the end zone - never ideal.

I thought we had a great chance to break the game open after we recovered the onside kick, but poor offensive execution on that set led to 3-and-out. Maybe they got too excited after sensing the momentum shift?

In any case, we need big improvement on 3rd downs, we are still not converting worth a lick

DukeSean
09-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Geez another fumble when we're about to score. Sickening. We are trying to lose this game at times

75Crazie
09-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Geez another fumble when we're about to score. Sickening. We are trying to lose this game at times
Well, come on, after all, this is Duke football we're talking about. No surprises here.

Sixthman
09-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Beautiful catch by Desmond Scott for a touchdown. Defense continues strong and spirited play!

Sixthman
09-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Duke running better in second half, Duncan looking particular good. Renfree not getting enough protection and rarely looking past his primary receiver. The fourth quarter opens with a nice drive ending in pass to Connett for touchdown. I think good half time adjustments.

-bdbd
09-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Renfree to Connette for the TD completion on third and goal from the 8. Duke up 31-14 with 10:27 to play. Looking much better as the game wears on. Defense playing very well.

Wake had a good win vs Army today. Should be an important game, for both schools, next week. Arguably that'll be the most important game so far in Cut's tenure in Durham. Huge implications for which of the two likely can go Bowling this year... Go Duke!!

Can someone share how the crowd looks/sounds tonight?

:rolleyes:

Sixthman
09-22-2012, 09:08 PM
75 Memphis fans. Small crowd. Student showing about the same as last week -- not great. Not much intensity or noise, but a lot of fun and spirit. I stood up and cheered when team came on field at the start of the second half and then introduced myself to the other two guys who did the same. A lot of people left at half. Those who stayed are hanging until the end and have actually gotten increasingly loud and into the game.

mike88
09-22-2012, 09:16 PM
75 Memphis fans. Small crowd. Student showing about the same as last week -- not great. Not much intensity or noise, but a lot of fun and spirit. I stood up and cheered when team came on field at the start of the second half and then introduced myself to the other two guys who did the same. A lot of people left at half. Those who stayed are hanging until the end and have actually gotten increasingly loud and into the game.

It was an absolutely beautiful night to watch a game. The team didn't look good early on, but we played much better in the second half. This was the best I have seen our defense play in a long time and Connette was a beast. Huge game next week at WFU and then the following week home vs UVA.

-bdbd
09-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks!

Those who left at halftime missed a great second half for Duke. Renfree TD pass to Vernon with 6 min. left capped the scoring. If we keep playing like we did in the last 30 minutes, this Duke group will be bowl-bound! Just want to see some Offensive consistency and energy for 60 full minutes next week. Wake can certainly score. It would mean a lot for this program to beat them.

Any significant injuries tonight? Hopefully we get a couple more guys back next week too.

Duvall
09-22-2012, 09:17 PM
One way to survive four turnovers is to have your defense only give up 152 yards from scrimmage.

OldPhiKap
09-22-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm liking Duncan.

3-1, beat Wake!

Greg_Newton
09-22-2012, 10:09 PM
One way to survive four turnovers is to have your defense only give up 152 yards from scrimmage.

500-152 is not too shabby.

Defense was really terrific tonight. Gave up 152 total yards and 7 points (on a drive that started on the 5), 1-of-13 third-and-fourth down conversions, and four sacks. We're not going to do much better than that against an FBS team.

It was also huge to get Byas back. He closes faster and hits hard than any of our other safeties, IMO. He had a nice game with 6 tackles, and the formerly-injured Woodruff had another good showing with 1.5 sacks.

In other news, FIU outgained #20 Louisville by 2 yards but lost by 7 tonight.

Reilly
09-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Any significant injuries tonight? Hopefully we get a couple more guys back next week too.

On the radio, Cut said would need to check on Snead (looked to leave holding his arm/hanging his shoulder/stinger) and Lee Butler (lower leg, said Cut).

DukeSean
09-22-2012, 10:34 PM
It was also huge to get Byas back. He closes faster and hits hard than any of our other safeties, IMO. He had a nice game with 6 tackles, and the formerly-injured Woodruff had another good showing with 1.5 sacks.

Byas was tremendous tonight. Seemed like he was everywhere to shut down runs. Great to have him back, was surprised he'd be so effective so soon back from injury.

Here's to beating Wake!

devildeac
09-22-2012, 11:11 PM

Asked Ozzie and dpslaw to guess offense and defense yards and Ozzie said 450-500 and 130 and dpslaw guessed 350 and 200. My wife won the "prize" guessing 500 and 150 as the first set of stats I saw were 501 and 148. Day-umm she's good:D. Coulda/shoulda been 45-7 or 45-0 but I'll take this W with no apparent injuries as we only had one episode with a player down who subsequently walked off the field after about a minute delay.

Sixthman
09-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Byas was tremendous tonight. Seemed like he was everywhere to shut down runs. Great to have him back, was surprised he'd be so effective so soon back from injury.

Here's to beating Wake!

Yes, Byas was everywhere and bringing some pop. He was outstanding. Defense, which was strong in the first half, was even better in the second. Memphis is weak, but this is, neverthless, something to build on.

mkline09
09-23-2012, 01:02 AM
Really big win tonight. Great effort by the defense as it has been said above. Had it not been for the kick return they likely would have pitched a shutout.

Greg_Newton
09-23-2012, 03:57 AM
FWIW, Memphis had many than one first down; they were 1-13 on 3rd/4th-down, but had a few on 1st/2nd-downs.

devildeac
09-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Will Monday had another solid evening, too, averaging 44+ yards punting. He missed placing his 2nd punt inside the 20 by a yard or two as it sailed OOB at about the 21 or 22 for about a 25 yard net, but his final punt of the evening got a great roll and I think it went for about 60. I think the Raleigh N&O (or was it DBR?) mentioned last week that he is about 10th in the nation in punting average.

TruBlu
09-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Reasonably pleased with our team being able to overcome all the turnovers and "foot-shooting" to still end up with a convincing win, even though it was Memphis. Hopefully we got over our worst game in this regard before getting to the meat of our schedule.

I continue to be impressed with the athleticism of Isaac Blakeney. He caught their kickoff returner from behind at the 4 yard line to prevent (temporarily) a touchdown. I would like to see his speed and height put to better use on offense.

(The ESPN3 announcer incorrectly identified the tackler as Hud Mellencamp. He also announced to the world that Durham is now the capital city of North Carolina.)

diveonthefloor
09-23-2012, 11:41 AM
(The ESPN3 announcer incorrectly identified the tackler as Hud Mellencamp. He also announced to the world that Durham is now the capital city of North Carolina.)

Could have played a drinking game with with announcer mistakes last night. Probably would have been passed out early in the second. Who were those guys? ;)

jafarr1
09-23-2012, 12:21 PM
In fairness, Blakeney and Mellencamp share the number 17, so it wasn't a ridiculous mistake, especially since walk-ons can show up on special teams.

Blakeney has some deceptive speed. We need to figure out other ways to use that.

devildeac
09-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Reasonably pleased with our team being able to overcome all the turnovers and "foot-shooting" to still end up with a convincing win, even though it was Memphis. Hopefully we got over our worst game in this regard before getting to the meat of our schedule.

I continue to be impressed with the athleticism of Isaac Blakeney. He caught their kickoff returner from behind at the 4 yard line to prevent (temporarily) a touchdown. I would like to see his speed and height put to better use on offense.

Kinda reminded me of Shane;).

Not the first time Blakeney did that. Someone reported that he caught Scott or Snead from behind on a long run or pass from scrimmage inside the 5 during either one of the intra-squad games or the spring game. I don't know whether that's good for Blakeney or bad for our WR/RB:confused:.

devildeac
09-23-2012, 01:36 PM

I saw a program from a couple weeks ago and they both wear #17 though I don't think I'd have much difficulty telling 5'11" 165 pound Hud from 6'6" 235 pound Isacc.

With or without their Duke uni;).

Well, Duke is THE university of north carolina;).

devildeac
09-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Could have played a drinking game with with announcer mistakes last night. Probably would have been passed out early in the second. Who were those guys? ;)

Second quarter or second half?:rolleyes:;)

Bob Green
09-23-2012, 02:32 PM

The play you cite was impressive. Blakeney had a second impressive play on a kick-off when he tackled the kick returner around the 15 yard line as soon as he started to run with the ball. His athleticism is fantastic!

Greg_Newton
09-23-2012, 05:22 PM
The play you cite was impressive. Blakeney had a second impressive play on a kick-off when he tackled the kick returner around the 15 yard line as soon as he started to run with the ball. His athleticism is fantastic!

That most impressive thing about that was that he had to sprint ~120 yards to catch that guy; all the way down the field, then all the way back. Blakeney has singlehandedly prevented at least three scores on special teams this year; this play, the play where he was identified as Hud, and coming out of nowhere to run down the returner after a botched snap on an extra point. He seemed like a breakout player this spring, and seems to have good hands; I agree that it would be nice if we could put his incredible speed and size to a little more use. He's been mostly a non-factor on offense, save for the big play against Central.

budwom
09-24-2012, 09:04 AM
In fairness, Blakeney and Mellencamp share the number 17, so it wasn't a ridiculous mistake, especially since walk-ons can show up on special teams.

Blakeney has some deceptive speed. We need to figure out other ways to use that.

Blakeney is about 10 inches taller and 70 pounds heavier, so I think I'd put that error into the ridiculous category, though not at all exceptional on the beloved Harris Scale.
Blakeney is a beast, have to get him the ball more...

Dev11
09-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Had a great time at the game even though the crowd thinned pretty fast during halftime. Let's generate some ACC wins and that trend will stop.

Regarding Blakeney, I got to attend some practices a couple years ago, and that dude was out-running the whole team in their sprint drills without going full speed. He's a freak.

Beat Wake!

Merlindevildog91
09-24-2012, 09:29 AM
In the NCCU game, the PA announcer credited Hud Mellencamp with the tackle on NCCU's long kickoff return, when it was Blakeney.

Count me in the group of people who would like to see Blakeney on the field on offense. IIRC, he was on the field a little at the end of the NCCU game, but I'd like to see him earlier. I would think he would cause matchup problems, or at least take some focus away from Vernon.

Beat Wake!

CDu
09-24-2012, 09:41 AM
We gave up two flukish plays to set up Memphis' two scores (the INT return and the very long kickoff return). And we committed a few other costly turnovers in the first half which killed scoring drives. Aside from that, we absolutely dominated the football game. I was a bit worried in the middle of the second quarter as we were making the type of mistakes that have historically bitten us in games we were expected to win. Thankfully we came out in the second half and eliminated any doubt that we were the better team.

That was an important win for us. Unfortunately, our ACC schedule this year is absolutely brutal. We play arguably the top 8 remaining ACC teams, missing BC, NC State, and Maryland. There are only 3 realistically winnable games left (UNC, UVa, and Wake). So to be bowl eligible, we'll need to win all 3 or pull off a somewhat-improbable upset of either GT or Miami (I don't think winning @FSU, vs Clemson, or @VT is even remotely feasible).

But kudos to the team for getting it done. It's rare that we're a 20+ point favorite against an FBS school. It's even more rare that we come out and prove that spread correct. Very happy with the performance.

DukeSean
09-24-2012, 10:55 AM
That was an important win for us. Unfortunately, our ACC schedule this year is absolutely brutal. We play arguably the top 8 remaining ACC teams, missing BC, NC State, and Maryland. There are only 3 realistically winnable games left (UNC, UVa, and Wake). So to be bowl eligible, we'll need to win all 3 or pull off a somewhat-improbable upset of either GT or Miami (I don't think winning @FSU, vs Clemson, or @VT is even remotely feasible).

Really? I think @VT is definitely winnable. Not that it'd be easy, but they aren't FSU or Clemson by any measure.

CDu
09-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Really? I think @VT is definitely winnable. Not that it'd be easy, but they aren't FSU or Clemson by any measure.

Va Tech beat Ga Tech earlier this year. Then they played an absolute clunker in their first road game against Pitt. I think the Pittsburgh game was more of an anomaly than a sign of things to come. And Va Tech always seems to get better as the season progresses. Va Tech definitely isn't as good as some of their past teams for sure, but I think winning in Blacksburg is simply not a possibility this year for us.

BlueandWhite
09-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Va Tech beat Ga Tech earlier this year. Then they played an absolute clunker in their first road game against Pitt. I think the Pittsburgh game was more of an anomaly than a sign of things to come. And Va Tech always seems to get better as the season progresses. Va Tech definitely isn't as good as some of their past teams for sure, but I think winning in Blacksburg is simply not a possibility this year for us.

I hope you're wrong - we'll see. Right now, I don't care about any of these other games. We simply have to beat Wake Forest, losing to them how many years in a row is getting ridiculous.

CDu
09-24-2012, 04:05 PM
I hope you're wrong - we'll see. Right now, I don't care about any of these other games. We simply have to beat Wake Forest, losing to them how many years in a row is getting ridiculous.

I agree. This week's game is a must-win (as I noted in the WF game thread).

airowe
09-24-2012, 04:31 PM

If Snyderwine had made 2 of his 3 missed FGs last year, Duke would've beaten Va Tech. It's definitely a possibility.

jafarr1
09-24-2012, 04:45 PM
^ Well, that assumes Va Tech didn't respond with a score of their own once they needed one. But your point stands - Duke has played Va Tech closely several times, but just couldn't get over the hump.