PDA

View Full Version : FB: Stanford 21, USC 14

JasonEvans
09-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Ok, I normally don't post about college football, but could not resist talking about this one.

USC leads by 7 facing a 4th and 2 inside the Stanford 15 -- mid 3rd quarter. And they did a sorta fake field goal that ended with an incomplete pass in the end zone.

Whaaaat?!?! Leading by 7 with a short FG, you hit the FG... every time. What was Lane Kiffin thinking?

-Jason "Stanford has been the better team in this game..." Evans

JasonEvans
09-15-2012, 10:37 PM
And Stanford just scored the game-typing TD. USC deserves to lose this game.

-Jason "as an aside, what Bama did to Arkansas was just plain scary... even if Ark was missing its QB" Evans

BlueDevilBrowns
09-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Ok, I normally don't post about college football, but could not resist talking about this one.

USC leads by 7 facing a 4th and 2 inside the Stanford 15 -- mid 3rd quarter. And they did a sorta fake field goal that ended with an incomplete pass in the end zone.

Whaaaat?!?! Leading by 7 with a short FG, you hit the FG... every time. What was Lane Kiffin thinking?

-Jason "Stanford has been the better team in this game..." Evans

And Stanford just scored the game-typing TD. USC deserves to lose this game.

-Jason "as an aside, what Bama did to Arkansas was just plain scary... even if Ark was missing its QB" Evans

In defense of Kiffin, earlier they converted a 4th and 19 from around the 30 yard line of Stanford which then lead to a touchdown. Kiffin is an aggressive play-caller so it's consistent with his MO to go for it in that situation.

Having said that, yes, I would have kicked the FG too.

sagegrouse
09-15-2012, 11:23 PM
I watched only the last half of the fourth quarter -- Stanford manhandled USC. On the last series, USC faced a 4th and 40.

Stanford looked really good. Lots of sacks and a very good running game against #2 USC.

sagegrouse

Duvall
09-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Maaaybe we shouldn't have overread that opening game against San Jose State.

sue71, esq
09-16-2012, 12:14 AM

In defense of Kiffin, earlier they converted a 4th and 19 from around the 30 yard line of Stanford which then lead to a touchdown. Kiffin is an aggressive play-caller so it's consistent with his MO to go for it in that situation.

Agreed that this is typical for Lane. He goes for it a lot more often than most are comfortable with.

That being said, forget about that field goal... What happened to USC in the 4th quarter? Good lord. They were taken apart. And Barkley got sacked 5 times in the game. Contrast that with the fact that he was sacked 8 times ALL OF LAST YEAR. Holy moly where's his line? I know Khalid was hurt (center) and that's huge, but Barkley looked scared of Stanford. Apparently he should be- he's never beaten them and now he never will.

I'm seriously bummed about this game. I know oh, 90% of the cfb country is happy, but I'm a Trojan fan. Buggers.

awhom111
09-16-2012, 01:17 AM
Agreed that this is typical for Lane. He goes for it a lot more often than most are comfortable with.

That being said, forget about that field goal... What happened to USC in the 4th quarter? Good lord. They were taken apart. And Barkley got sacked 5 times in the game. Contrast that with the fact that he was sacked 8 times ALL OF LAST YEAR. Holy moly where's his line? I know Khalid was hurt (center) and that's huge, but Barkley looked scared of Stanford. Apparently he should be- he's never beaten them and now he never will.

I'm seriously bummed about this game. I know oh, 90% of the cfb country is happy, but I'm a Trojan fan. Buggers.

Lane makes Pete Carroll's situational play-calling look conservative. That said, USC's starting kicker was injured and they were not particularly comfortable with the backup.

If both teams win out in conference, then Matt will get his shot in the title game.

And yes, as both a Duke and USC degree holder, losing to Stanford two weeks in a row feels terrible.

sue71, esq
09-16-2012, 01:55 AM
Lane makes Pete Carroll's situational play-calling look conservative. That said, USC's starting kicker was injured and they were not particularly comfortable with the backup.

Hahaha... good call about Lane vs Pete- Lane does make Pete look conservative. By a lot.

And I forgot about the kicker staying home due to injury. Good point.

YmoBeThere
09-16-2012, 09:47 AM
I am the 90%. Lane Kiffin is like John Calipari for me, just waiting for it to fall apart. Not if, when.

devildeac
09-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Vs Stanford:

Duke-27 yds rushing with 1.2 y/carry
USC-26 yds rushing with 0.9 y/carry

Duke-385 yds total offense
USC-280 yds toatl offense

Duke > USC :eek::eek:

Nah, just kidding of course, but it does put our dismantling in a little less discouraging perspective than last week.

Olympic Fan
09-16-2012, 10:26 AM
I am the 90%. Lane Kiffin is like John Calipari for me, just waiting for it to fall apart. Not if, when.

Agreed ... one of the real sleaze bags in college sports.

Duvall
09-16-2012, 10:31 AM

That's an unfair comparison. Calipari worked his way up the ranks and has leveraged his moral flexibility into big wins. He's much more worthy of respect than Kiffin.

AtlBluRew
09-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Vs Stanford:

Duke-27 yds rushing with 1.2 y/carry
USC-26 yds rushing with 0.9 y/carry

Duke-385 yds total offense
USC-280 yds toatl offense

Duke > USC :eek::eek:

Nah, just kidding of course, but it does put our dismantling in a little less discouraging perspective than last week.

This makes my day, lol. Thanks for posting.

jimsumner
09-16-2012, 03:35 PM
This makes my day, lol. Thanks for posting.

Of course, those rushing stats include the 900 yards Southern Cal lost in sacks on that final drive.

Seriously, Lane Kiffin and Southern Cal taking it on the chin from an academically-elite, private school that doesn't cheat. Priceless.