PDA

View Full Version : ol' roy jewelry vigil

BD80
09-13-2012, 11:22 AM
poor roy, needs to borrow bling to try to impress recruits:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/63823/uncs-williams-out-blings-uks-calipari

Williams opened a case featuring 30 rings earned from his two national championships, plus Final Four berths and league titles ...

Williams added the exclamation point, reaching into his pocket and pulling out Michael Jordan's 1992 NBA championship ring he won with the Chicago Bulls

Let's see, was Julius Randle even ALIVE in 1992?

Funny thing, the article doesn't mention any Olympic Gold Medals, or Gold Medals from the World games. Oh, that's right, unc coaches can't seem to win those, so there were none for ol' roy to borrow.

I hear the Helms committee is having a special meeting to vote on a gold medal for unc.

How ever can Coach K expect to compete with such bling?

Edouble
09-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Sorry to be that guy, but according to the article, Randle thought it was pretty cool.

Give credit where credit is due. Ol' Roy gets guys to come to UNC. He probably knows what works with recruits. Jordan's UNC legacy has long been one of the top pulls to go the UNC-Chapel Hill. It is sort of annoying, but Jordan is such a transcendent figure, that even though we're 10+ years past MJ's prime, kids still know the legend. Nike still uses the logo.

Now... the MJ connection may not be the kind of lure that it was a while back, say, when when Jordan could show up on campus and beat you at 21 and help you with your game, etc, etc. but still, it appears there is still an advantage to be had using his name. Until the magic of dropping the name Jordan dries up, why not continue to use it?

JasonEvans
09-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Here is a USA Today (http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/article/krzyzewski-duke-rings-in-home-visit-with-julius-randle) follow-up on what happened when K visited Randle the next day.

Krzyzewski opted to leave his hefty collection of diamond rings in Durham, N.C., and instead “spoke from the heart.”

“When he walked in we stood up and talked for like 25 minutes,” Randle said. “All of us. Didn’t even realize we were standing that long. That’s just Coach K. He’s great.”

Added Kyles: “He’s captivating. He really is. I truly understand why his players love him so much; you can tell that he really cares.”

Still, was Randle slightly disappointed by the lack of bling after two nights of gaudy, expensive diamond championship rings?

“Not at all,” Randle said. “I mean Coach K’s got ‘em too now. It was just him. That was enough.”

K > Roy's 30 rings

Wojo seems to love the ring story because after K's visit, he tweeted the following:

Only thing I could find with enough size/swag to haul all of Coach K's championship rings & gold medals #GOAT
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A2n_0gjCAAAl0i6.jpg

-Jason "'nuf said" Evans

Bob Green
09-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Funny thing, the article doesn't mention any Olympic Gold Medals, or Gold Medals from the World games. Oh, that's right, unc coaches can't seem to win those, so there were none for ol' roy to borrow.

BD80
09-13-2012, 01:54 PM

Were Randle's parents alive back then?

Turk
09-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Ol 'Roy has 30 rings?!? He's good but not THAT good. I suspect he may have supplemented his stock with purchases from an out-of-the way jeweler in New Jersey. And decided to sign the paperwork using someone else's name... hmm....

dukeballboy88
09-15-2012, 09:22 AM
I see lil roy left his bronze medal from the 04 olympics at the house.

hood7
09-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Sad Roy needs ring box
to prove he looks a winner
when K just is one