PDA

View Full Version : The Vigil Vigil

throatybeard
09-12-2012, 08:27 PM
What was your all-time favorite Vigil?

Mine is still the one about Toe Lawson's toe. It just had this epic quality.

Wander
09-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Not a vigil, but my favorite meme here was the Southern Illinois Saluki hangover

throatybeard
09-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Not a vigil, but my favorite meme here was the Southern Illinois Saluki hangover

We had a very good poster from SIU, right? He debriefed us about the whole team down to the guy with the gatorade bottle and the towels.

hood7
09-12-2012, 09:19 PM
The Patrick Davidson thread.

Newton_14
09-12-2012, 09:35 PM
I would rank them

1. Duke Blue Toe Vigil
2. Puke Blue Toe Vigil

JasonEvans
09-12-2012, 09:54 PM

For anyone new to the DBR... this is a must read (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?8690-Patrick-Davidson-is-an-Urban-legend)!

-Jason

ricks68
09-12-2012, 10:15 PM

Absolutely the very, very best. I even saved it to a file in case it ever got lost on DBR.

ricks

superdave
09-12-2012, 10:38 PM
1. Duke Blue Toe Vigil

Worst vigil ever. That toe cost us a title!

Tappan Zee Devil
09-12-2012, 11:03 PM
The 1968 Duke Vigil following the killing of Dr King.

It was the large scale introduction of the changes then sweeping the country to our quite traditional campus and a pivotal event in my political and moral development

throatybeard
09-12-2012, 11:20 PM
The 1968 Duke Vigil following the killing of Dr King.

It was the large scale introduction of the changes then sweeping the country to our quite traditional campus and a pivotal event in my political and moral development

^ Win.

BTW, is the Patrick Davidson thread technically a vigil? I thought a vigil, in the most descriptive sense, was a long thread where we're all breathlessly awaiting some sort of development, and bloviating in the meantime.

The one that made me want to stick an ice pick in my brain was the John Wall Recruitment Vigil.

Wander
09-13-2012, 12:00 AM
We had a very good poster from SIU, right? He debriefed us about the whole team down to the guy with the gatorade bottle and the towels.

Right. The key point was, IIRC, that Duke may not just lose to SIU but they would probably lose their next game because apparently everyone gets sooooo exhausted playing a 40 minute game against SIU that the effect lasts for weeks.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Right. The key point was, IIRC, that Duke may not just lose to SIU but they would probably lose their next game because apparently everyone gets sooooo exhausted playing a 40 minute game against SIU that the effect lasts for weeks.

Like playing Alabama...

Indoor66
09-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Like playing Alabama...

Or playing at Cameron.

SupaDave
09-13-2012, 11:03 AM
The Harrison Barnes vigil. It taught some valuable lessons about recruiting,

UrinalCake
09-13-2012, 12:20 PM
I don't know about favorite, but my most memorable was the Kyrie Irving Toe Vigil. So many twists and turns - first hearing he was hurt but not knowing how badly, then thinking we'd lost him for the season, then months of agonizing and speculation when we didn't have ANY information, then finally getting him back and not knowing what to do about it. Meanwhile, a pretty darn good season went by that we only half paid attention to.

throatybeard
09-13-2012, 05:29 PM
I don't know about favorite, but my most memorable was the Kyrie Irving Toe Vigil. So many twists and turns - first hearing he was hurt but not knowing how badly, then thinking we'd lost him for the season, then months of agonizing and speculation when we didn't have ANY information, then finally getting him back and not knowing what to do about it. Meanwhile, a pretty darn good season went by that we only half paid attention to.

It really was too bad for Nolan and Kyle. That team has an ACC Championship, Kyrie or no Kyrie.

We weren't calling it so back then, but there was a pretty extensive Shavlik Randolph Recruitment Vigil on the old board.

JasonEvans
09-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Can we all agree that the definition of a "vigil" is endless posts filled with mildly informed or often totally uniformed speculation while posters await any news and then proceed to over-analyze even the tiniest morsel of news? Agreed?

If so, then I nominate every single thread discussing minutes/rotations/lineups.

-Jason "I keed, I keed" Evans

OldPhiKap
09-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Can we all agree that the definition of a "vigil" is endless posts filled with mildly informed or often totally uniformed speculation while posters await any news and then proceed to over-analyze even the tiniest morsel of news? Agreed?

I think Jason posits this as a comment on the duality of man.

What a Joker.

uh_no
09-14-2012, 12:28 AM

If so, then I nominate every single thread discussing minutes/rotations/lineups.

NO WAY man...kyle singler is DEFINITELY going to play all his time at the 4 this year.

Jarhead
09-14-2012, 01:19 PM

Wait a minute. How is the military involved in this? We can only speculate, or edit. Otherwise, I agree 100%.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/wizard.gif

OldPhiKap
09-14-2012, 01:35 PM
I think "uniformed speculation" threads would include the ones on Maryland's football jerseys; whether we like or don't like Duke black basketball jerseys; the recycled grey jerseys from last year; or ones discussing whether Jon's number would/should be retired.

Speaking of retiring, and at the risk of heresy, there was only The Toe Vigil. Other than that I'm ready to retire the genre.

throatybeard
09-17-2012, 04:46 PM
NO WAY man...kyle singler is DEFINITELY going to play all his time at the 4 this year.

Is Greg Paulus going to play football?

Turk
09-17-2012, 08:41 PM
For anyone new to the DBR... this is a must read (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?8690-Patrick-Davidson-is-an-Urban-legend)!

-Jason

"The Pope told him it was ok to have a mistress." (and that one probably isn't even in the top 5)

Wow. There were some good ones, and it just kept on going and going. I need to hire a squeegee guy to clean off my monitor. This must be where they got the idea for the "Most Interesting Man in the World" ads...