PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 54, North Carolina Central 17

mkline09
09-10-2012, 06:03 PM
I didn't see a thread for the next football game and figured we needed one. This is a very important game for several reasons. I realize many Duke fans are disillusioned by the performance against Stanford. I was a bit frustrated with it but find it more cathartic to move on and focus on the next opponent. The game against central is important to restore some confidence and it is a game that Duke should win. Duke has to get back to executing on offense and not just running swing/screen passes. And they can't give up big plays or turn the ball over. All basic tenants of football.

Good news is that Cutcliffe said during his teleconference yesterday that there is some hope that LB Britton Grier and S Jordon Byas could possibly return this week but he won't know until Tuesday. Bad news is Juwan Thompson and perhaps a few others were banged up and Cutcliffe said he also won't know until Tuesday his status. Here is hoping they get healthy and come out against Central fired up.

OldPhiKap
09-10-2012, 11:49 PM
Go Devils, get to 2-1. Next play.

CameronBornAndBred
09-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Poor, poor NCCU. I want to see us score 50 in the first half.

Bob Green
09-11-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm anxious to see Thursday's injury report. Hopefully, we didn't get too banged up out West.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-11-2012, 10:01 AM
I'm anxious to see Thursday's injury report. Hopefully, we didn't get too banged up out West.
At least we'll be playing in our own time zone!:cool:

davekay1971
09-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Absolutely looking forward to this game. Duke needs to use it to get some confidence by dominating a team they should dominate and work on several issues that came up against Stanford, particularly establishing a running game and GETTING THE BALL DOWNFIELD.

I'm hoping to see us dominate on both sides of the ball. That's the biggest thing that can come out of a game like this. This team needs to walk in focusing, not just on winning the game, but on winning every play.

Go Duke!

DukeSean
09-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Poor, poor NCCU. I want to see us score 50 in the first half.

I also would like to see a dominating performance on both sides of the ball. Too bad it's gotta be NCCU, but the team needs to work out the mistakes that happened against Stanford. They need a confidence rebuilder (and frankly, so do I).

DukeSean
09-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Duke needs to use it to get some confidence by dominating a team they should dominate and work on several issues that came up against Stanford, particularly establishing a running game and GETTING THE BALL DOWNFIELD.

Here's a question. When your QB has no time because the opposition is dominating the line of scrimmage, and you have no running game, and swing passes aren't getting you anywhere, at what point do you say to yourself, "let's see how long Renfree can stay in the pocket to let the WRs get open" at the risk of him taking some hard hits in order to try moving the ball downfield?

On one hand I'm thinking to myself, "ok protect Renfree for the rest of the season, this is a lost game" and on the other hand I'm thinking, this sucks.

Bob Green
09-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Here's a question. When your QB has no time because the opposition is dominating the line of scrimmage, and you have no running game, and swing passes aren't getting you anywhere, at what point do you say to yourself, "let's see how long Renfree can stay in the pocket to let the WRs get open" at the risk of him taking some hard hits in order to try moving the ball downfield?

On one hand I'm thinking to myself, "ok protect Renfree for the rest of the season, this is a lost game" and on the other hand I'm thinking, this sucks.

Well it is easy for me to say this because I'm not the one standing back there getting clobbered by goliath sized linemen and blitzing linebackers, but we do have three quarterbacks (four counting Sirk) on the roster. At some point, you have to throw the ball down the field.

CameronBornAndBred
09-11-2012, 10:34 AM

Excellent point. Also, if Cut is going to push Renfree to the pros (and he will), don't you think the NFL will think twice about a guy who hasn't had a chance to prove himself by staying in the pocket like you (and I) want to see?

Bob Green
09-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Here are links to the game notes and full game notes published at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205683224&DB_OEM_ID=4200

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/935183.pdf?ATCLID=205683224&SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Conner Vernon needs 19 more receptions to set the ACC's all time record.

DukeSean
09-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Excellent point. Also, if Cut is going to push Renfree to the pros (and he will), don't you think the NFL will think twice about a guy who hasn't had a chance to prove himself by staying in the pocket like you (and I) want to see?

While I think Cut will push Renfree to the pros, I doubt that is anywhere in his thoughts on game day. I would guess that he is looking more towards protecting him for the season. It would stink to lose your 3rd-year starting QB in the 2nd week, especially given all the injuries we already have.

Maybe our O-line isn't as good as we thought it would be this year. It's a bit deceptive to think that our O-line would be all that good because they didn't allow a lot of sacks last year. Much of that is our play calling that gets the ball out of Renfree's hands quickly. In future games against teams with strong d-lines, I feel like quick slants and out patterns would make Renfree hold onto the ball a little longer, but we'd be able to get a few more yards than swing passes that go nowhere.

Anyways, excited to see how we adjust from the Stanford experience

PDDuke85
09-11-2012, 12:15 PM
While I think Cut will push Renfree to the pros, I doubt that is anywhere in his thoughts on game day. I would guess that he is looking more towards protecting him for the season. It would stink to lose your 3rd-year starting QB in the 2nd week, especially given all the injuries we already have.

Maybe our O-line isn't as good as we thought it would be this year. It's a bit deceptive to think that our O-line would be all that good because they didn't allow a lot of sacks last year. Much of that is our play calling that gets the ball out of Renfree's hands quickly. In future games against teams with strong d-lines, I feel like quick slants and out patterns would make Renfree hold onto the ball a little longer, but we'd be able to get a few more yards than swing passes that go nowhere.

Anyways, excited to see how we adjust from the Stanford experience

Looking forward to getting back on track Saturday, pray no injuries as the schedule ramps closer to league play. I stayed up and watched the game Saturday past and observed what everyone has- the O line was a no show (VS completely out manned, out classed but I want to give the benefit of the doubt)

As this site frowns on rumor mongering, let me just say there's a Duke influence in Denver, with slightly better results.

Cheers all, deep breath, exhale slowly- see you in Durham Saturday.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/9/9/3306888/peyton-manning-touchdown-pass-400

devildeac
09-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Here are links to the game notes and full game notes published at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205683224&DB_OEM_ID=4200

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/935183.pdf?ATCLID=205683224&SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Conner Vernon needs 19 more receptions to set the ACC's all time record.

To paraphrase one of my buddies here, with last week's game plan, CV might have 19 receptions in this game. For 30 yards:rolleyes:.

Greg_Newton
09-12-2012, 01:11 AM
#8 will be in the house (http://heraldsun.com/view/full_story/20118621/article-Holliday-plans-to-attend-Duke-NCCU-game) Saturday with the nurse who saved his life. Great to hear.

Should be an emotional moment, to say the least.

Bob Green
09-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Here is a link to an excellent Al Featherston article on the Bull City Classic:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205683918&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Desmond Scott states:

I know a lot of the guys over there, whether it's from high school - playing with them or competing against them - or me just going to North Carolina Central just to have a chill day on their quad.

I highly recommend the entire article, which concludes....nah, I'm not going to do that. :D Everyone needs to go over to GoDuke.com and read Al's article themselves.

DukeSean
09-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the link, Bob.

I like how the relationship between Duke and NCCU is growing due to the Bull City Classic. Win-win for the schools and the city.

The only time I would pass by NCCU in my time at Duke was to visit Chicken Hut on Fayetteville. I hope students these days have a bit more interaction, a-la-Desmond Scott.

mkline09
09-12-2012, 04:43 PM
I had a chance to talk to the Sports Editor of the Campus Echo the student paper at Central and did a piece on the upcoming game.

http://dukesportsblog.com/2012/09/12/duke-nccu-a-look-at-this-weeks-next-opponent.aspx

gep
09-12-2012, 09:40 PM

I saw that Sean Schroder took a bunch of hard hits in the Hawaii/USC game while in the pocket. With coach Norm Chow as head coach. Hawaii fans were impressed... and he is tough

watzone
09-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Here are a couple of interviews with Jamison Crowder and Sydney Sarmiento going into Saturday evenings game - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/09/jamison-crowder-and-sydney-sarmiento-talk-nccu/ DL position is thin with Foxx being out but Duke should implement their will as the game goes on.

CameronBornAndBred
09-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Heather Dinich has us winning 49-21 in her predictions for the weekend. Ugh, Heather...if we give up 21 against these folks it had better be 3 TDS in the 4th against our 3rd stringers.

CameronBornAndBred
09-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Bummer, the NCCU drum-line has been suspended due to hazing. They would have made it worth staying in the stadium during halftime...but I'll drown my sorrows under our tent with a tasty brew or two.

Story here.
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/11543010/

airowe
09-13-2012, 04:35 PM

Or, we could try some screen passes or something to alleviate the rush.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Or, we could try some screen passes or something to alleviate the rush.

That is NOT funny.

PDDuke85
09-13-2012, 07:06 PM
#8 will be in the house (http://heraldsun.com/view/full_story/20118621/article-Holliday-plans-to-attend-Duke-NCCU-game) Saturday with the nurse who saved his life. Great to hear.

Should be an emotional moment, to say the least.

I believe Duke should score first, score quickly, go for a 2 point conversion, hang an 8 on the scoreboard, and pay tribute to Blair.

Bob Green
09-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Andrew Skwara at The ACC Sports Journal is predicting a 49-7 victory for Duke:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/2012091413420/acc-weekend-preview-sept-14.php

I hope he is accurate.

mkline09
09-14-2012, 12:24 PM
As much as I'd like to predict a big margin of victory I think this game gets a little too close for comfort with the injury situation. I'm still predicting a comfortable win, just not that 30+ point victory we'd all like to see.

http://dukesportsblog.com/2012/09/13/duke-nccu-banged-up-blue-devils-seek-improvement.aspx

MarkD83
09-14-2012, 08:11 PM
I have nothing to really add to this except Go Duke!!!!! (and lets get the vigil threads off the top of the board).

MarkD83
09-14-2012, 08:16 PM
back to the top.

MarkD83
09-14-2012, 08:21 PM
One last attempt at getting this up top.

NSDukeFan
09-14-2012, 09:21 PM
I have nothing to really add to this except Go Duke!!!!! (and lets get the vigil threads off the top of the board).

Long live the vigil vigil thread.

Greg_Newton
09-14-2012, 09:24 PM
One last attempt at getting this up top.

Very valiant.

BTW - I posted this in the tix forum, but I just came across two extras that I'll be happy to give to someone outside the stadium before kickoff (no charge, so I figured it'd be okay to mention here). I'll be away from the computer tonight, but first PM wins.

Native
09-14-2012, 09:52 PM
I'll go ahead and start the firestorm now...

Word around campus is that the all black uniforms are making their debut tomorrow. They've painted the end zone letters and conference logos on the field all black as well - went over to Wally World today to confirm.

Make of it what you will. Students are excited for this one, especially considering tomorrow is the debut of "New Tailgating" on the Main Quad. Hoping for a big student turnout ready for a good game. Go Duke!

OZZIE4DUKE
09-14-2012, 10:41 PM

Word around campus is that the all black uniforms are making their debut tomorrow. They've painted the end zone letters and conference logos on the field all black as well - went over to Wally World today to confirm.

Make of it what you will. Students are excited for this one, especially considering tomorrow is the debut of "New Tailgating" on the Main Quad. Hoping for a big student turnout ready for a good game. Go Duke!

I'll reserve judgement on the paintings, but, the uini's? Blech!

devildeac
09-14-2012, 11:37 PM

I'll reserve judgement on the paintings, but, the uini's? Blech!

This has been confirmed from one of the former FB managers who is near and dear to my youngest daughter's heart;).

I thought Cut wanted a Blue Out. Instead, we are getting a blackout. Sheesh.

CameronBornAndBred
09-15-2012, 07:40 AM

Hopefully most of them follow you to the stadium!

peloton
09-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Here's hoping that our offensive line rebounds, continues to improve and becomes more dominant...and is able to contain this guy...
http://nccueaglepride.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3728&path=football
Let's go Duke!

ChillinDuke
09-15-2012, 12:13 PM

What is "new tailgating"?

- Chillin

Native
09-15-2012, 12:53 PM
What is "new tailgating"?

- Chillin

I'm assuming you're familiar with Tailgate (with a capital T), which was a at best a pre-game party, and at worst a complete show of things the board censors would get on me about. After it got cancelled a few years back students have been clamoring to revive it. Athletics obviously wants a pre-game tailgate because they think it'll boost attendance at games.

The idea is fraternities, sororities, selective living groups, and residential sections can register for spots on the Main Quad. Student Government provides grills to grill out. They're shooting for a more traditional college game day atmosphere on the quad, which is what I'm hopeful for.

riverside6
09-15-2012, 07:00 PM
You can check out live stats for Duke/NCCU here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/FB_ViewHDGame.asp?hGame=2139

DukeSean
09-15-2012, 07:13 PM
i don't understand not going for the FG there...45 yards is definitely in Martin's wheelhouse.

sagegrouse
09-15-2012, 07:30 PM
That wasn't a 65-yard punt return by Butler. It was a 79-yard return. He circled back from the 35 to the 21 before heading upfield. First time I ever saw that maneuver be anything but disastrous.

sagegrouse

DukeSean
09-15-2012, 07:38 PM
it's one of those plays when you're like, no no no no no...yes yes YES YES YES

FireOgilvie
09-15-2012, 07:53 PM
I am a big fan of these black uniforms. The black matte helmets are awesome.

kmspeaks
09-15-2012, 08:15 PM
I am a big fan of these black uniforms. The black matte helmets are awesome.

Really? I think those uniforms are hideous (and I'm not in the Duke should never wear black camp, I just don't like those particular unis). However, those helmets are SWEET!!

Jim3k
09-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Tackling much, guys?

DukeSean
09-15-2012, 08:27 PM
the current 27-7 score aside, the inability to run the ball is really troubling. You'd think we'd try a draw play or something here and there, seeing as how much we're throwing the ball. A one-dimensional offense like the one we've been showing isn't gonna win games against better opponents.

Jim3k
09-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Cut unhappy at the half, per the sideline interview.

"Execution!" he says.

Yes. That's what's needed.

Kimist
09-15-2012, 08:57 PM

"Execution!" he says.

The coach was DEFINITELY not showing a happy face during the interview.

BTW: From what I can tell on ESPN3.com, the attendance is minimal even with a reasonably good showing on the visitor side. Can anyone actually at the game comment??

k

Jim3k
09-15-2012, 09:24 PM
That drive was much better. Snead and Thompson on the ground. Snead scores. 34-10.

norduck
09-15-2012, 09:56 PM

"Execution!" he says.

Respectfully agree! But, at what stage does Cut assume some of the responsibility, such as game prep,plan and management? Hope he doesn't grow into the Fred Goldsmith era that players mostly agreed he was laughing stock. That observation was shared from many students, including my own, during the '94 & '98 era.

ChillinDuke
09-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Respectfully agree! But, at what stage does Cut assume some of the responsibility, such as game prep,plan and management? Hope he doesn't grow into the Fred Goldsmith era that players mostly agreed he was laughing stock. That observation was shared from many students, including my own, during the '94 & '98 era.

It's my understanding that Cut has assumed most of the responsibility for Duke's deficiencies throughout his tenure. Assumption of responsibility is not one of Coach's weaknesses.

I've watched the game on and off throughout. It's a whooping, which was expected. But you still need to meet (preferably exceed) those expectations.

All in all, Good game today, Devils.

- Chillin

norduck
09-15-2012, 10:27 PM
It's my understanding that Cut has assumed most of the responsibility for Duke's deficiencies throughout his tenure. Assumption of responsibility is not one of Coach's weaknesses.

I've watched the game on and off throughout. It's a whooping, which was expected. But you still need to meet (preferably exceed) those expectations.

All in all, Good game today, Devils.

- Chillin

Agree, after watching some of the Stanford & Southern Cal maybe my opinion was based too much on the Stanford result last week! Still, I think when a coach walks off the field and does an interview such as Cut did, is lacking self-responsibility.

DukeSean
09-15-2012, 10:28 PM
I enjoyed the sets with Powell and Duncan in at tailback, seems like we'll have a good running future with those guys on board. But I would like to see more effective runs earlier in the game

OldPhiKap
09-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Always good to get a win, especially a big one.

Cut thinks we can do better, I agree.

Paste Memphis!

Sixthman
09-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Not much learned here. We played better in the second half than the first. Central made a lot of unforced errors in the first half. We did not run the ball well in the first half. Renfree did not pass particularly well, missed some open guys, had a touchdown to a guy standing in the end zone with no one within twenty yards. The defense did not tackle well, although this looked like their best performance of the season in that department. Punt return for touchdown was a lot of fun. One of those plays where the coaches will tell him to never try that again -- oh, and good job. Duke had more speed, more talent, was the better team, and deserved to win. Final outcome a fair reflection of the game, even though Duke's performance was not as dominant as the score. The crowd was not particularly large. Surprisingly few Central fans there. The stadium cleared out pretty early in the second half. It was a beautiful night for a football game in Durham.

Greg_Newton
09-16-2012, 12:19 AM
Why did we run out of pro-style, shotgun sets all first half? Even on obvious running situations? Another completely perplexing playcalling choice, along with more quick-outs for 2 yards (or losses) on 1st and 2nd down today. We were successful when we finally ran out of a 2-TE set in the second half, shockingly, which also opened up play-action.

I was defending Cut/Roper last week, but I thought they were just as bad this week, if not worse. We really shouldn't need a phantom personal foul penalty in the second quarter to build a double digit lead against a team Elon - who lost 62-0 at UNC - was up 31-7 against by halftime a week ago.

roywhite
09-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Stanford 21 -- USC 14 (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=322590024)

Well, this is interesting context.

Stanford is very good.

USC was not able to run effectively on Stanford, with only 26 yards net rushing after Barkley's sacks were counted. Silas Fledd had 17 yards on 13 carries. Heisman candidate Barkley was an unimpressive 20-41 as the mighty Trojans gained fewer yards than Stanford's most recent opponent.

I didn't see much of the first half of our game, but did see the 3rd quarter and part of the 4th quarter; I'm most impressed with the number of receivers we have who can run effectively after the catch. There are some serious weapons on this offense.

devildeac
09-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Most disturbing info so far from the game was reading that "Walt Canty injured a shoulder and left the game forcing Brandon Connette to take snaps on defense." Oh, my. I know I have read that Cut thinks Connette is one of the best athletes on the team but...

Bob Green
09-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Most disturbing info so far from the game was reading that "Walt Canty injured a shoulder and left the game forcing Brandon Connette to take snaps on defense." Oh, my. I know I have read that Cut thinks Connette is one of the best athletes on the team but...

Wow! I did not notice #18 playing defense. We are seriously shorthanded and need some injured players to get healthy prior to the start of ACC games.

devildeac
09-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Wow! I did not notice #18 playing defense. We are seriously shorthanded and need some injured players to get healthy prior to the start of ACC games.

Must have been all that Red Hoptober;):rolleyes:.

Seriously, I did not either as I just read about it in the Raleigh N&O this AM. I did see Connette line up in the backfield, take a snap or two as QB when Renfree went in motion and #18 even lined up as a WR or TE and caught a pass once, IIRC. Pretty versatile. He'd make a nice DB at about 6'5" as he'd be tough to throw over as teams have done for many years in the past with our shorter DB:mad:.

Olympic Fan
09-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Just a few observations from the game:

-- Scores are funny -- I told somebody last night that while we were MUCH more impressive than the 46-26 final against FIU would indicate, we were much less impressive than the 54-17 win over NCCU would suggest. It was the biggest margin for a Duke team in the Cutcliffe era -- and the biggest for a Duke team since Barry Wilson beat Wake by the same 37-point margin in 1990. We haven't won by more than 37 points since Steve Spurrier's last game at Duke -- a 41-0 win at UNC (THAT was sweet).

-- A few sloppy performance on both sides of the ball. I thought Renfree made some bad decisions early, although he finally got into a rhythm in the second quarter. I was hitting myself in the head over the playcalling and the struggle to run the ball against Central was frustrating. I will say this just as a minor -- very minor -- caveat. Stopping the run is what NCCU does best. Elon routed them and yet averaged just 1.0 yards a carry on the ground. They are one of the top teams in the FBS when it comes to rushing defense (some of that due to 330-pound senior DT John Drew, a former Dukie). Duke's 128 net yards -- most of it by the two freshman late -- were more yards than they had given up in their first two games combined (against two FBS opponents).

-- That said, it was still painful to watch our veteran offensive line struggle to open holes. One very smart guy I was watching the game with pointed out that Duke was hurt by the lack of a blocking tight end (all the TEs are good receivers ... none can hold his own on the OL) or a fullback. That's not an excuse. These guys up front just aren't good run blockers. On the other hand, they are terrific pass protectors. So far this season, they've allowed just two sacks and four QB hurries in 135 pass attempts.

-- Good to see Isaac Blakeney finally get a chance show his skills. The moves he made after his long catch to turn it into a 54-yard TD were impressive. Even more impressive was the play he made after our botched extra point late in the game. NCCU came up with the ball and their DB appeared to be ahead of the pack, en route for a two-point conversion (like we had against FIU). But Blakeney came out of nowhere to drag him down -- he closed so fast that he looked like a Patriot missile. I mean the NCCU guy had two teammates right behind him to cut off any pursuit, but Blakeney was by them before they even knew he was there. It was one of the most eye-popping physical plays I've seen out of Duke in years.

-- The physical toll on our secondary -- especially at safety -- is frightening. We started a true freshman (Dwayne Norman, who played well). When Canty hurt his shoulder in the second quarter, we replaced him with Anthony Young-Wiseman, a junior and a pretty good player with some experience, but a guy who has not been able to practice all fall because of his own injuries. And late in the game, we were using walk-on Garrett Rider and Connette at safety.

I'm the most optimistic guy in the world when it comes to Duke football, but if we don't start getting some of these guys back soon (like before the Wake Forest game), we're not going to win the two key games at the end of September and the start of November (Wake/Virginia).

-- It turns out Stanford was pretty good (although I'm not as sure Southern Cal was quite as good as made out to be -- they didn't exactly dominate a very weak Syracuse team). On the other hand, FIU might not be quite as strong as they were made out to be preseason after struggling past Akron and losing to Central Florida. I was looking at scores, thinking about what's ahead. Does it bode well that Wake Forest was absolutely destroyed by FSU (a team the Deacons usually play very well) and that Virginia was manhandled by Georgia Tech? Or should we be concerned that we've got to face FSU and Georgia Tech too? And I keep saying Miami is going to be beatable in November -- if you thought we were lackluster against NCCU, they looked worse in beating Bethune Cookman.

BTW -- Give me wins over Wake and Virginia and I'll take big losses against FSU and Georgia Tech without a wimper.

jimsumner
09-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Must have been all that Red Hoptober;):rolleyes:.

Seriously, I did not either as I just read about it in the Raleigh N&O this AM. I did see Connette line up in the backfield, take a snap or two as QB when Renfree went in motion and #18 even lined up as a WR or TE and caught a pass once, IIRC. Pretty versatile. He'd make a nice DB at about 6'5" as he'd be tough to throw over as teams have done for many years in the past with our shorter DB:mad:.

Canty left the game in the 1st quarter and Connette played a few snaps on D at the end of the game. So, there was no immediate causation.

Cut said that Connette had been working at safety during the week. So, it's a bit more compicated than Canty getting hurt, forcing Connette to play safety.

Canty did go back in for a few plays after hurting his shoulder but I do not beleive he played any in the second half. Cut said after the game that it was too early to tell how severe was Canty's injury. Might get some word today.

Duke is getting thin at safety, with Sowell, Campbell, McCarthy and Byas already out. True freshman Dwayne Norman played major minutes at safety last night.

And Duke starts three safeties.

So, a significant injury to Canty would not be good.

Fingers crossed.

The good news is that Duke should start getting some of these folks back. Sowell is out for the season but the rest should come back.

But when? Memphis isn't very good and Duke should be able to handle them short-handed. But the following games with Wake and Virginia may well define the season. Need to get healthy.

Last night? I'm sure not going to kvetch about a 37-point win. It wasn't perfect. Third-down production was woeful (1-10) and scrambling quarterbacks continue to be a problem. Duke established its running game in the second half but it took longer than I thought.

But Duke took more shots downfield and it paid off. A good trend. Renfree had a few what-was-he-thinking-moments, early on but found his rhythm and had a pretty solid state-line.

Best of all, Duke didn't beat itself. There was a botched PAT and a long kick-off-return. But Duke had a 3-0 edge in turnovers and wasn't assessed a penalty into late in an already-decided game, while NCCU had lots of big penalties.

And Duke sure did close a lot better than against FIU.

My favorite play of the night came on the bobbled PAT. [Note to Monday. When the play is dead, accept it] An NCCU player had the ball and a score in front of him. And Blakeney just exploded on him. He looked like a cheetah running down a wildebeest. Just stunning.

Methinks Duke might consider moving Blakeney back to D, at least until the injury report starts looking better.

jafarr1
09-16-2012, 01:30 PM
-- That said, it was still painful to watch our veteran offensive line struggle to open holes. One very smart guy I was watching the game with pointed out that Duke was hurt by the lack of a blocking tight end (all the TEs are good receivers ... none can hold his own on the OL) or a fullback. That's not an excuse. These guys up front just aren't good run blockers. On the other hand, they are terrific pass protectors. So far this season, they've allowed just two sacks and four QB hurries in 135 pass attempts.

I've thought the lack of a blocking TE has been problematic as well, but couldn't we put together a package where we have a sixth OL check in as an eligible receiver? Sure, the sixth OL would probably never see a ball thrown his way, but it wouldn't be that different than having a blocking TE that struggles to catch the ball.

Reilly
09-16-2012, 02:29 PM
... I will say this just as a minor -- very minor -- caveat. Stopping the run is what NCCU does best. Elon routed them and yet averaged just 1.0 yards a carry on the ground. They are one of the top teams in the FBS when it comes to rushing defense (some of that due to 330-pound senior DT John Drew, a former Dukie). Duke's 128 net yards -- most of it by the two freshman late -- were more yards than they had given up in their first two games combined (against two FBS opponents)...

Minor correction: I believe NCCU's first opponent was D2, not FCS. Your larger point holds: Central ranked 10th in FCS in rushing D.
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/1040

Newton_14
09-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Regarding the running game, my frustration is this: We ran the ball fine in the 4th qtr (I believe against Centrals first string) when we actually went to a run formation. 2 tight-ends, 2 WR's, tight spacing between the linemen, QB under center, and one back 5 yards deep. The Duncan kid thrived in that set with runs up the middle, and to the outside with pulling linemen clearing traffic. It was beautiful to see. I just hate we never see that set with our first string offense, early in games with Snead as the back.

I don't get it. We should at least try that formation early on. You can still throw out of that formation as well, with play action.

jimsumner
09-16-2012, 07:52 PM
A couple of points about running v. NCCU.

1.Keep in mind that NCCU's run defense is anchored by 330-pound John Drew, a former four-star recruit who played major minutes for Duke as a true freshman, before being dismissed for an on-campus gun incident.

2.This time last week, we were all upset about Duke's inability/disinclination to throw downfield. Duke threw downfield against Central last night, with a fair amount of success. So, Duke used that to build a sizeable lead, before working on their ground game. A defensible decision, IMO.

Newton_14
09-16-2012, 08:05 PM
A couple of points about running v. NCCU.

1.Keep in mind that NCCU's run defense is anchored by 330-pound John Drew, a former four-star recruit who played major minutes for Duke as a true freshman, before being dismissed for an on-campus gun incident.

2.This time last week, we were all upset about Duke's inability/disinclination to throw downfield. Duke threw downfield against Central last night, with a fair amount of success. So, Duke used that to build a sizeable lead, before working on their ground game. A defensible decision, IMO.

Fair points Jim. One question. It seems that we only play Snead in the Red Zone. Is that designed to limit his carries for health reasons, or does the staff see him more as a specialty back for Red Zone and 3rd down packages? I am just struggling to understand why Snead is not being used more. He appears to be the fastest back by a large margin. Good things happen when he gets the ball.

Thanks

roywhite
09-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Canty left the game in the 1st quarter and Connette played a few snaps on D at the end of the game. So, there was no immediate causation.

Cut said that Connette had been working at safety during the week. So, it's a bit more compicated than Canty getting hurt, forcing Connette to play safety.

Canty did go back in for a few plays after hurting his shoulder but I do not beleive he played any in the second half. Cut said after the game that it was too early to tell how severe was Canty's injury. Might get some word today.

Duke is getting thin at safety, with Sowell, Campbell, McCarthy and Byas already out. True freshman Dwayne Norman played major minutes at safety last night.

And Duke starts three safeties.

So, a significant injury to Canty would not be good.

Fingers crossed.

Good news; nothing serious with Canty.

From Laura Keeley, who is Duke writer for N&O
https://twitter.com/laurakeeley

Good news for #Duke: Walt Canty's shoulder is fine, just took a big hit. Not a serious injury

SharkD
09-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Athletics obviously wants a pre-game tailgate because they think it'll boost attendance at games.

Students in goofy costumes, engaging in (non-alcoholic) revelry? Check.

Students in the stands? Nope.

Color me unsurprised.

jimsumner
09-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Fair points Jim. One question. It seems that we only play Snead in the Red Zone. Is that designed to limit his carries for health reasons, or does the staff see him more as a specialty back for Red Zone and 3rd down packages? I am just struggling to understand why Snead is not being used more. He appears to be the fastest back by a large margin. Good things happen when he gets the ball.

Thanks

It's funny how we can see things that aren't there.

I went back to the play-by-play to see how Duke used Snead against NCCU.

Snead had six carries.

They line of scrimmage was the Duke 34, midfield, the NCCU 15, the Duke 34, the NCCU 49 and the NCCU 6 (TD).

Snead caught two passes. Those plays started at the NCCU 18 (TD) and the Duke 33. Duke threw an incompletion to Snead at a play that began at midfield.

So, Duke used Snead nine times. Only three of those plays started inside the defensive 20, generally defined as the redzone. But because he scored on two of those three, they stand out.

Newton_14
09-17-2012, 08:30 PM
It's funny how we can see things that aren't there.

I went back to the play-by-play to see how Duke used Snead against NCCU.

Snead had six carries.

They line of scrimmage was the Duke 34, midfield, the NCCU 15, the Duke 34, the NCCU 49 and the NCCU 6 (TD).

Snead caught two passes. Those plays started at the NCCU 18 (TD) and the Duke 33. Duke threw an incompletion to Snead at a play that began at midfield.

So, Duke used Snead nine times. Only three of those plays started inside the defensive 20, generally defined as the redzone. But because he scored on two of those three, they stand out.

Thanks Jim, point taken. I was wrong on where he was used. It sure seemed like red zone mostly but facts say otherwise. I guess the touchdowns skewed my perception as you alluded to.

As for total usage, would you agree that 6 carries is not enough? The guy is just electric, and to me, 6 carries is low usage for a guy who is a threat to go to the house anytime he touches it. I was just wondering if they are limiting his touches due to losing last year to injury, with a plan to slowly increase his usage as the season progresses.

jimsumner
09-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks Jim, point taken. I was wrong on where he was used. It sure seemed like red zone mostly but facts say otherwise. I guess the touchdowns skewed my perception as you alluded to.

As for total usage, would you agree that 6 carries is not enough? The guy is just electric, and to me, 6 carries is low usage for a guy who is a threat to go to the house anytime he touches it. I was just wondering if they are limiting his touches due to losing last year to injury, with a plan to slowly increase his usage as the season progresses.

It makes sense to limit his touches. I know Duke is closely monitoring Anunike for that reason.

Then again, Duke doesn't run a lot and there are four tailbacks who carry the ball, a QB/RB/hybrid and the occasional end-around.

So there are only so many touches to go around.

The two catches are encouraging. The rap on Snead has been that he doesn't have great hands for a running back. Maybe that's improving.

FWIW, I talked to four players after the NCCU game. Snead was the most vocal about the mistakes Duke had made in the game and how much Duke needed to improve to win the tougher games ahead.

Newton_14
09-17-2012, 09:33 PM
It makes sense to limit his touches. I know Duke is closely monitoring Anunike for that reason.

Then again, Duke doesn't run a lot and there are four tailbacks who carry the ball, a QB/RB/hybrid and the occasional end-around.

So there are only so many touches to go around.

The two catches are encouraging. The rap on Snead has been that he doesn't have great hands for a running back. Maybe that's improving.

FWIW, I talked to four players after the NCCU game. Snead was the most vocal about the mistakes Duke had made in the game and how much Duke needed to improve to win the tougher games ahead.

Thanks Jim. Great information as always. Very interesting on Snead's post game thoughts. Sounds like a leader/captain in the making, for down the road. With him and Duncan, the future is bright. I love watching both guys run the ball. Snead did look good on those two catches as well. Hopefully the bad rap on hands will soon be a thing of the past.

Bring on Memphis!

watzone
09-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Highlights from field level.

http://youtu.be/5O7Z80k9nbQ

Native
09-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Students in goofy costumes, engaging in (non-alcoholic) revelry? Check.

Students in the stands? Nope.

Color me unsurprised.

Agree 1,000% - keyword there was "they think". IMO, the following arguments against football attendance are complete crocks:

1) Students don't go to the game because there's no Tailgate. Last Saturday dispelled that one. Sixteen students, including myself, in the student section by the end of the game. Pitiful.
2) Students don't go to the game because the team doesn't win. Two huge wins, two bleak crowds by the end of the game.

Hate to say it, but at this point I'm in the camp of "Students don't go to games because they'd rather go party and get drunk elsewhere". Shame. The experience of going to a game at Wally has to outweigh some other choice that a student has on a Saturday. This also leads to the mass exodus of students at halftime.

airowe
09-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Agree 1,000% - keyword there was "they think". IMO, the following arguments against football attendance are complete crocks:

1) Students don't go to the game because there's no Tailgate. Last Saturday dispelled that one. Sixteen students, including myself, in the student section by the end of the game. Pitiful.
2) Students don't go to the game because the team doesn't win. Two huge wins, two bleak crowds by the end of the game.

Hate to say it, but at this point I'm in the camp of "Students don't go to games because they'd rather go party and get drunk elsewhere". Shame. The experience of going to a game at Wally has to outweigh some other choice that a student has on a Saturday. This also leads to the mass exodus of students at halftime.

There should be kegs in Wallace Wade. Problem solved.

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2012, 03:42 PM

Well to be fair both games were over by halftime also. Most everyone else left too.

-jk
09-18-2012, 04:47 PM
So perhaps they need to have a party after the game.

Make it free for the students that stay the whole game, and have a cover charge for the rest.

-jk

OldPhiKap
09-18-2012, 04:57 PM

Make it free for the students that stay the whole game, and have a cover charge for the rest.

-jk

I know we've talked about it before, so hate to drag it out again -- but Wally Wade does not engender itself to a lot of enthsiasm. It is the anti-Cameron in terms of getting the students involved.

No doubt, the students should come out and take pride in what OUR TEAM does. But these things matter, too. When you're far removed from the action, and there is more chatter amongst your friends than focus on the game -- it's easier to go back to the section, stream the game, and have a beer.

Not saying it's right -- but I think it is part of the reality we face until the track is removed and the stadium is renovated.

uh_no
09-18-2012, 04:58 PM

-jk

Unless there are loads of free alcohol, most students won't be enticed, I'm afraid to say. Having just a band and food isn't that huge a draw for students on a saturday night.

TruBlu
09-18-2012, 06:27 PM
There should be kegs in Wallace Wade. Problem solved.

Especially on the other teams sideline. Free beer for opposing players.

flyingdutchdevil
09-18-2012, 06:47 PM
I know we've talked about it before, so hate to drag it out again -- but Wally Wade does not engender itself to a lot of enthsiasm. It is the anti-Cameron in terms of getting the students involved.

No doubt, the students should come out and take pride in what OUR TEAM does. But these things matter, too. When you're far removed from the action, and there is more chatter amongst your friends than focus on the game -- it's easier to go back to the section, stream the game, and have a beer.

Not saying it's right -- but I think it is part of the reality we face until the track is removed and the stadium is renovated.

Why? I rarely hear any cries on DBR about a lack of attendance at soccer games, lacrosse games, field hockey games, etc. Should students care more about football merely because it's football? If the answer is yes, then I wholeheartedly disagree.

It's a two way street, and there are a dozen reasons on both sides as to why attendance is so poor.

Students:
-Football isn't a key sport at Duke and hasn't been since the mid 1990s. It will take time to develop, and I feel that fans will come if Duke gets good. It's a chicken/egg debate, but don't expect students to come just because the team won two games.
-Considering how hard Duke undergrads work, they would rather spend their time boozing / partying the whole of Saturday
-Academics, academics, academics. Most of us went to Duke, but the caliber of students - plus the pressure - are so much higher now than ever before. And if Duke wants to continue to be a top 10 academic institution, it needs a culture like this.
-Students care more about performance rather than effort. It's instilled in their mindset. They are at Duke because they are high performers moreso than hard workers (although the two go hand in hand). Would they be at Duke if they worked hard but didn't obtain results? I highly doubt it. The same goes for Duke basketball - high performance leads to interested students which leads to strong attendance.

Athletics Department / Admin:
-For the last 8 years, the only reason students were marginally interested in football is because of tailgating. I agree that tailgating didn't get students involved, but that is the fault of the administration. They should have cracked down on it harder and earlier and made a tailgate=football connection rather than a tailgate=black-out-drunk connection. Instead, they let tailgate turn into the disgrace that it is now.
-Marketing for football games on campus is sooooooooooooooooooooooo bad. They need a better strategy.
-The football team isn't as active on campus / the community as other sports. Non-revenue sports interact with the student body much more effectively (at least this was 2003-2007; it may have changed since then but I'd be surprised).

OldPhiKap
09-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Why? I rarely hear any cries on DBR about a lack of attendance at soccer games, lacrosse games, field hockey games, etc. Should students care more about football merely because it's football? If the answer is yes, then I wholeheartedly disagree.

It's a two way street, and there are a dozen reasons on both sides as to why attendance is so poor.

Students:
-Football isn't a key sport at Duke and hasn't been since the mid 1990s. It will take time to develop, and I feel that fans will come if Duke gets good. It's a chicken/egg debate, but don't expect students to come just because the team won two games.
-Considering how hard Duke undergrads work, they would rather spend their time boozing / partying the whole of Saturday
-Academics, academics, academics. Most of us went to Duke, but the caliber of students - plus the pressure - are so much higher now than ever before. And if Duke wants to continue to be a top 10 academic institution, it needs a culture like this.
-Students care more about performance rather than effort. It's instilled in their mindset. They are at Duke because they are high performers moreso than hard workers (although the two go hand in hand). Would they be at Duke if they worked hard but didn't obtain results? I highly doubt it. The same goes for Duke basketball - high performance leads to interested students which leads to strong attendance.

Athletics Department / Admin:
-For the last 8 years, the only reason students were marginally interested in football is because of tailgating. I agree that tailgating didn't get students involved, but that is the fault of the administration. They should have cracked down on it harder and earlier and made a tailgate=football connection rather than a tailgate=black-out-drunk connection. Instead, they let tailgate turn into the disgrace that it is now.
-Marketing for football games on campus is sooooooooooooooooooooooo bad. They need a better strategy.
-The football team isn't as active on campus / the community as other sports. Non-revenue sports interact with the student body much more effectively (at least this was 2003-2007; it may have changed since then but I'd be surprised).
We do not often disagree, but we do here.

Look, I love soccer. I remember listening to our game against Akron on radio in '86 (and soccer on the radio is dedication, for sure). But in the States, there is a reason that football stadiums are huge and soccer games don't fill the lowest level. It is a false equivalent, both in popularity and revenue. Good or bad, it is.

I kind of find the "they would rather drink" argument contrary to the "too academic culture" argument. To the extent current students only support a winner, well -- If that is true, that is plain sorry.

Agree regarding administrative woes before Cut, and that these things take time. They are moving in the right direction and I hope students (and alum) get and stay on board.

Greg_Newton
09-18-2012, 11:17 PM
IMO, the students were better than the rest of the crowd last week. They were active and into the game all first half, while most of the crowd was the WW standard grumpy and grumbling about Roper.

I'd be happy if they stayed all game too (props to Native), but, baby steps...

flyingdutchdevil
09-19-2012, 01:58 PM

Look, I love soccer. I remember listening to our game against Akron on radio in '86 (and soccer on the radio is dedication, for sure). But in the States, there is a reason that football stadiums are huge and soccer games don't fill the lowest level. It is a false equivalent, both in popularity and revenue. Good or bad, it is.

I kind of find the "they would rather drink" argument contrary to the "too academic culture" argument. To the extent current students only support a winner, well -- If that is true, that is plain sorry.

Agree regarding administrative woes before Cut, and that these things take time. They are moving in the right direction and I hope students (and alum) get and stay on board.

That's the beauty of boards - we can respectfully disagree with each other!

1) I understand the American football culture in the US. I do. As a matter of fact, I am actually getting into the NFL for the first time. But I think the argument, "Because everyone loves football, we should too" isn't a strong one. Every school has a unique identity, and our school's isn't football and I don't think it will be. The laws of economics state that there is only a finite amount of resources, and our resources go to academics first, then basketball. Everything essentially takes a third place. We can try growing the pie, but that includes resources that we currently do not have.

2) Top tier schools are sadly moving in the direction of MIT, which bleeds "they would rather drink" and "too academic culture." I do not think that these two are opposing forces but often complements to one another. Good or bad, that's just the way it is. Duke students work hard, and they play harder. IMO, the Duke student body places academics first, partying second, and Duke pride third. And it's becoming more polarized every single year.

3) If Duke basketball was equivalent to Northwestern basketball, would we get the same student support? We are so fortunate to have a top tier program that is nationally renowned and stellar year after year. A lot of amazing academic schools that are in the BCS rarely enjoy a quarter of the success that we have in basketball for either basketball or football.

Look, I'm not saying we shouldn't focus on football at all. I like what the administration is doing, and I think Cut is a great choice for the program. But, in a world of severe cost cutting, priorities, and a lack of resources, I do not believe that students will come to games unless Duke a) starts winning, b) markets football better, and c) accepts more students into the school who have a passion for Duke football. a) will hopefully happen, b) should certainly happen, but c) is difficult considering the lack of Duke football fans, the negative correlation between the ability to get into Duke and the love for college sports, and our losing modern history within the sport.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2012, 01:14 PM
That's the beauty of boards - we can respectfully disagree with each other!

1) I understand the American football culture in the US. I do. As a matter of fact, I am actually getting into the NFL for the first time. But I think the argument, "Because everyone loves football, we should too" isn't a strong one. Every school has a unique identity, and our school's isn't football and I don't think it will be. The laws of economics state that there is only a finite amount of resources, and our resources go to academics first, then basketball. Everything essentially takes a third place. We can try growing the pie, but that includes resources that we currently do not have.

2) Top tier schools are sadly moving in the direction of MIT, which bleeds "they would rather drink" and "too academic culture." I do not think that these two are opposing forces but often complements to one another. Good or bad, that's just the way it is. Duke students work hard, and they play harder. IMO, the Duke student body places academics first, partying second, and Duke pride third. And it's becoming more polarized every single year.

3) If Duke basketball was equivalent to Northwestern basketball, would we get the same student support? We are so fortunate to have a top tier program that is nationally renowned and stellar year after year. A lot of amazing academic schools that are in the BCS rarely enjoy a quarter of the success that we have in basketball for either basketball or football.

Look, I'm not saying we shouldn't focus on football at all. I like what the administration is doing, and I think Cut is a great choice for the program. But, in a world of severe cost cutting, priorities, and a lack of resources, I do not believe that students will come to games unless Duke a) starts winning, b) markets football better, and c) accepts more students into the school who have a passion for Duke football. a) will hopefully happen, b) should certainly happen, but c) is difficult considering the lack of Duke football fans, the negative correlation between the ability to get into Duke and the love for college sports, and our losing modern history within the sport.

Good points, all.

There certainly is truth in the notion that winning brings fans. But that's not the only thing. Look at Cubs fans, South Carolina football fans (until the last year), etc. -- they sell out their games because people take pride in the institution and enjoy the games. The atmosphere in WW is lacking, and I think part of that is physical. Cameron certainly shows that physical proximity has an effect on enthusiasm and team performance. When you go to an SEC stadium, or something like Death Valley in Clemson, it is an imposing and intimidating thing. While we are certainly not that big, as Cameron shows you don't need big. You need close, and loud.

I thought there were plans to remove the track, lower the field, and put in more seats. Is that still the plan? It would also help if the stadium were more steeply angled as opposed to a laid-back horseshoe.

jimsumner
09-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Good points, all.

There certainly is truth in the notion that winning brings fans. But that's not the only thing. Look at Cubs fans, South Carolina football fans (until the last year), etc. -- they sell out their games because people take pride in the institution and enjoy the games. The atmosphere in WW is lacking, and I think part of that is physical. Cameron certainly shows that physical proximity has an effect on enthusiasm and team performance. When you go to an SEC stadium, or something like Death Valley in Clemson, it is an imposing and intimidating thing. While we are certainly not that big, as Cameron shows you don't need big. You need close, and loud.

I thought there were plans to remove the track, lower the field, and put in more seats. Is that still the plan? It would also help if the stadium were more steeply angled as opposed to a laid-back horseshoe.

You thought correctly.

Scorp4me
09-20-2012, 02:43 PM

I don't think adding more empty seats is a good idea right now. Even if it does remove the track. The track isn't a distraction to me, but I know it is for many. But it's just more empty seats right now. We start getting some consistent sell outs and it deserves merit.

As for the non angled, laid-back horseshoe I know even Carolina fans who will admit they'd rather see a game at Duke than their stadium due to the comfort and viewing angles.

ForkFondler
09-20-2012, 05:21 PM
I don't think adding more empty seats is a good idea right now. Even if it does remove the track. The track isn't a distraction to me, but I know it is for many. But it's just more empty seats right now. We start getting some consistent sell outs and it deserves merit.

I think the main point of the renovation is to have better seats, rather than more seats.

jimsumner
09-20-2012, 05:33 PM
I think the main point of the renovation is to have better seats, rather than more seats.

Think closer seats.

-bdbd
09-20-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm in line with Old Phi Kap. And I, too, rarely disagree with Flying Dutch.

But I think you have to be realistic that the US sports culture is, broadly/culturally (and financially) ......football-centric.
FB revenue and (media and fan) attention and scholarships, etc, etc dominate collegiate athletics. Even MBB pales in comparison generally. If we want Duke to be successful in college athletics, in the broad sense, then it is reasonable to say that FB needs to be a part of the picture. I say this as a serious fan of non-revenue sports like soccer, LAX and WBB (which for many, many years was considered non-rev). (And I too remember listening to the Akron soccer game on radio sitting in the Rat back in '86!!! Agony!!)

I'm too far removed from school days to speak with any authority about whether strenuous academics equate to a preference for booze over quality FB on Saturdays. But I gotta agree that, if that is true, then it is really sad. And BTW it really isn't an either-or choice between FB spectating VS. drinking...

Agree that Cut has done SOOO many things, not just immediately visible on the field. We are very lucky to have him and I think the Administration realizes that (and is finally supporting FB like it should have for the past 30 years).

Not sure I understand Scorp's point. I've watched FB at some point from most of the other ACC stadiums over the years - UVA, UNC, State, Wake, Clemson, , GT, BC, even Syr. (not sure if that counts, though Dome games are really "different") - but very few stadiums have sight-lines as bad as Duke's. It is a fact of life at Duke that we are further from the field (thanks to the track) and in a flatter-angled seating bowl (thank to the age of the stadium structure). And it isn't going to be easily fixed , obviously. I think that lowering the field, which is still a few years away, and adding seating closer to the field of play, will certainly add to the attractiveness of the product and, hence, attract more fans (and not just "add more empty seats"). BTW, it'd have the side benefit of making WW a little harder for visitors to play here. In any event, maybe by the time that happens the product and enthusiasm will be visibly improved too... :)

Lastly, there is no doubt that Flying Dutch is right that winning attracts fans. But it is STILL sad that Duke's students aren't better supporting an impoortant and very visible "storefront" product of Duke athletics. There are certainly other schools that attract many more people and more enthusiastic student followings for lesser or equivalent on-field performance (yes, I realize there's a myriad of reasons for this). And, BTW, Duke BB was not all that great during the early/mid-70's (pre-78) and early-80's, but the students still supported it much better than they're supporting FB of late - though to be fair FB and BB are just DIFFERENT products.

The FD comment about Duke FB not being as visible/well-marketed on-campus as some other sports was very revealing to me, and I'm disappointed to hear that. Is there nothing else that can be done to engage (or market to) the students better?

As for the non angled, laid-back horseshoe I know even Carolina fans who will admit they'd rather see a game at Duke than their stadium due to the comfort and viewing angles.

Good points, all.

Dev11
09-20-2012, 05:56 PM

Until the athletic department raises $80M for renovations, no dirt will be moved. Give generously. I can't wait for Duke to have a nice track stadium that isn't inlaid on its football stadium.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Until the athletic department raises $80M for renovations, no dirt will be moved. Give generously. I can't wait for Duke to have a nice track stadium that isn't inlaid on its football stadium.

Fund raising has started, and a $125,000,000 campaign will be announced soon! It's part of the next multi billion $ University campaign.

flyingdutchdevil
09-21-2012, 12:09 PM
The FD comment about Duke FB not being as visible/well-marketed on-campus as some other sports was very revealing to me, and I'm disappointed to hear that. Is there nothing else that can be done to engage (or market to) the students better?

The marketing is really bad. And what doesn't help is the mentality that the admin / existing students have, especially towards to incoming freshman. The conversation often goes like this:

Freshman: "So I heard that we have an awesome basketball team"
RA: "That's correct. Basketball is king on campus."
Freshman: "And how about football?"
RA: "It's the opposing of basketball. It's a joke. Not worth going to games."

Sadly, this is how conversations frequently pan out when you get to school. I remember having this conversation with friends, RAs, and upperclassmen.

It's not that admin doesn't market, it's that they DON'T know how to market. Tailgate was instituted as a way to get students to the game but we all know how that worked out. Another factor is that students don't get exposed to the pre-season marketing as they are never there, but this affects all other schools but somehow they get students to their games. How do other schools market football to their students? I'd be really curious to know.

throatybeard
09-23-2012, 02:23 AM
It's another symptom of our football culture deficit that people say "Wally Wade" un-ironically.

"I was watching a basketball game at Eddie Cammy."

I pity Cutcliffe. He's trying so hard and there are like 200 people who care whether he succeeds.