PDA

View Full Version : Time to help the band!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-10-2012, 01:15 PM
This is a follow up to the information about the band's fund raiser on the front page. Our band has been traditionally underfunded, even by Duke standards. It's hard to imagine how so much can be done with so little in the way of resources! In threads of the past, we've heard from former band members about the atrocious lack of financial support given over the years and the sort of adversity they've had to overcome just to exist and perform. Every donation makes a difference in supporting a brighter future for a program many take for granted.

There is a desire for excellence in this program, just as we aspire to in football, basketball and other sports. It's the same desire for excellence that we see in academic pursuits at Duke.

When you think of Duke, which of the band's numbers comes to mind? The fight songs? Dear Old Duke? Devil with the Blue Dress On?

Please consider making even a small donation to support this most worthy cause. The band members and band alumni can't do this alone.

http://www.dumbfund.org/

Native
09-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Posted to my Facebook. I'll work on getting this circulated throughout the student body. Let's give the band a hand!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Posted to my Facebook. I'll work on getting this circulated throughout the student body. Let's give the band a hand!

Great move! I posted it on my Facebook page as well.

PumpkinFunk
09-10-2012, 03:01 PM
This is a follow up to the information about the band's fund raiser on the front page. Our band has been traditionally underfunded, even by Duke standards. It's hard to imagine how so much can be done with so little in the way of resources! In threads of the past, we've heard from former band members about the atrocious lack of financial support given over the years and the sort of adversity they've had to overcome just to exist and perform. Every donation makes a difference in supporting a brighter future for a program many take for granted.

There is a desire for excellence in this program, just as we aspire to in football, basketball and other sports. It's the same desire for excellence that we see in academic pursuits at Duke.

When you think of Duke, which of the band's numbers comes to mind? The fight songs? Dear Old Duke? Devil with the Blue Dress On?

Please consider making even a small donation to support this most worthy cause. The band members and band alumni can't do this alone.

http://www.dumbfund.org/

As a relatively recent alumnus of DUMB, I just want to give my $0.02 here (Disclaimer: Anything I say here is not the official position of DUMB or DUMB's director, and he probably would not like me saying a few things because they reflect very poorly on the athletic department who is in charge of the band):

The band is absolutely underfunded by the athletic department and that has not helped the band succeed over the years. The director did not receive a full salary at the time I was there, even though he worked well over 40 hours a week. Every bit of money certainly helps, but I just want to give a few bits of information more than is out there, not to discourage you but just to give you the truth. The money is prioritized to be going to the brass players for stipends and equipment, with the drumline and woodwinds (except *perhaps* saxophones) being treated like second-class citizens in many senses. This meant, at least during my time, that drumline and woodwinds were paying to be a part of an organization that brass was paid to be a part of (if the brass players stuck it out to meet the stipend conditions). We (the woodwinds) had to fight to get our reeds paid for during my senior year. Without more money being donated consistently, this will continue to be a two-tiered system where a part of the band is treated significantly better than the rest of the band. If I wasn't bogged down in student loans, I would be donating money for this. It is a great cause.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-10-2012, 04:47 PM
As a relatively recent alumnus of DUMB, I just want to give my $0.02 here (Disclaimer: Anything I say here is not the official position of DUMB or DUMB's director, and he probably would not like me saying a few things because they reflect very poorly on the athletic department who is in charge of the band):

The band is absolutely underfunded by the athletic department and that has not helped the band succeed over the years. The director did not receive a full salary at the time I was there, even though he worked well over 40 hours a week. Every bit of money certainly helps, but I just want to give a few bits of information more than is out there, not to discourage you but just to give you the truth. The money is prioritized to be going to the brass players for stipends and equipment, with the drumline and woodwinds (except *perhaps* saxophones) being treated like second-class citizens in many senses. This meant, at least during my time, that drumline and woodwinds were paying to be a part of an organization that brass was paid to be a part of (if the brass players stuck it out to meet the stipend conditions). We (the woodwinds) had to fight to get our reeds paid for during my senior year. Without more money being donated consistently, this will continue to be a two-tiered system where a part of the band is treated significantly better than the rest of the band. If I wasn't bogged down in student loans, I would be donating money for this. It is a great cause.
It's time for the rest of us to step up and help. You guys have carried the load alone far too long!

We all know how much the band is part of game day and other such experiences throughout the year. The range of what will help is wide enough to fit whatever the members of this awesome community can give. It's a good cause even without the possibility of winning basketball tickets. Following are some links to help you consider your own gift to the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLWm-lzydq4&feature=share
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrBnrEfNBoA&feature=share