PDA

View Full Version : Final Four Moving Back to Real Basketball Arenas??

tommy
09-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Well, it may not happen at all -- discussions are still at a very early stage -- and even if it does happen, it's not like it would be every year, but at least they're talking about in some years moving away from the gigantic football stadiums and domes, most of which are located in the middle of the country, and allowing the Final Four to be played in smaller arenas, which would allow the coasts to be involved. I, for one, would love it if they actually made this happen, as I hate the dome games both for the fans and for the players. Here's (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8346428/ncaa-discussed-final-four-move-domes-arenas) the link to the story.

drcharl
09-07-2012, 02:52 PM
I am not sure if this is the case for all final 4s held in football venues, but when we went to one in Indianapolis a few years ago the court was set near one end zone perpendicular to the football field (I am not sure if this is always the case). Anyway, our seats were in the upper deck down the the other side of football field at approximately the 20 yard line. It was extremely difficult to see the action so we are reluctant to try to get any lottery tickets again unless of course Duke is there and we would splurge on stubhub and get some decent seats. Not sure if they ever align the basketball court with the football field and put it in the middle. That would be much better for some of the sets sold.

Bluedog
09-07-2012, 03:18 PM
^It looked pretty centered from my vantage point (see attached picture). I was up in the 500-level, so it certainly was really far away, but it was a straight view and the upper level around me was fairly empty so it was easy to move around if one wanted to. I personally used binoculars basically the whole time to feel like I was close to the action, ha!

I'd like to see them switch it up and play the Final Fours in arenas, but I find it unlikely to occur as that's a lot of lost revenue unless they increase ticket prices tremendously.

rasputin
09-07-2012, 03:27 PM
I have mixed feelings. Obviously it is a better experience, for those who get in, in a venue designed for the event that's being held. I have been at several Regionals at the Dome here in St. Louis, and often the sight lines are terrible. But I was at the final game in Minneapolis in 2001, in the very top row of the Metrodome. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything, and I suspect that if the Final Four that year had been in a smaller facility, I would not have been able to get the ticket I got.

Kedsy
09-07-2012, 03:56 PM
I am not sure if this is the case for all final 4s held in football venues, but when we went to one in Indianapolis a few years ago the court was set near one end zone perpendicular to the football field (I am not sure if this is always the case).

I have been to 21 Final Fours, including three in small venues. Up until 2009, all the big domes had the court in a corner as you describe, with about 45,000 seats available and the rest curtained off, except for New Orleans, which put the court in the middle. The court-in-the-middle setup makes it so there pretty much isn't a good seat in the house. In 1993, I sat 2nd row from the floor (in the end zone) and couldn't see a thing. I had to watch Chris Webber call that timeout on the big screen TV at the far end of the arena.

With the court-in-the-corner scenario, most of the lower tier and middle-tier seating is generally pretty good. And approximately a third of the upper tier seats are about as good as the upper tier in a small arena.

In 2009, Detroit hosted the Final Four and at the worst of the economic depression the city wanted to bring people together and set an attendance record, so they put the court in the middle (like New Orleans). My understanding is the court has been in the middle of the floor every Final Four since, which is a shame. (Although I didn't attend the 2011 or 2012 Final Fours, so I can't say for certain about those years; it was definitely in the middle in 2009 and 2010.)

Obviously the small venues are better for viewing in general, although they're not great in the upper deck, either. The problem with the small venues is it's almost impossible for the casual fan to get a seat without spending zillions.

throatybeard
09-07-2012, 05:41 PM
I have mixed feelings. Obviously it is a better experience, for those who get in, in a venue designed for the event that's being held. I have been at several Regionals at the Dome here in St. Louis, and often the sight lines are terrible. But I was at the final game in Minneapolis in 2001, in the very top row of the Metrodome. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything, and I suspect that if the Final Four that year had been in a smaller facility, I would not have been able to get the ticket I got.

Best ticket I've managed to get at the Dome was through the alumni association at State for the S16 this past year. I haven't been able to find an affordable scalpie that was better than awful for anything else, like the 2009 or 2010 Midwest Regional, I guess it was 2010?

At least the Women's FF is still in basketball/hockey arenas sometimes. I saw Connecticut annihilate somebody in 2009 at Scottrade.

Jim3k
09-08-2012, 02:33 AM
There are seats in arenas which are not very good, too. The Pond in Anaheim has really high seats with an east-west view and where the Iron Dukes have put me twice. They are close to ridiculous. You simply aren't able to see anything but how the plays generally develop. If you don't know the players by gait or something, you are out of luck, because the numbers are too small to make out. Reading the names off the uniform backs is out of the question.

I've been in nosebleed seats at both Staples in L.A. and at Oracle Arena in Oakland. Oracle was the best, but still not very good.

tommy
12-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Looks like this idea of moving the Final Four back to real basketball arenas may be moving forward after all. Link (http://zagsblog.com/articles/espn-exec-final-four-will-return-to-an-arena-within-5-years/).

Sounds good to me!

uh_no
12-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Looks like this idea of moving the Final Four back to real basketball arenas may be moving forward after all. Link (http://zagsblog.com/articles/espn-exec-final-four-will-return-to-an-arena-within-5-years/).

Sounds good to me!

ticket sales are great, but having the final four all over the country is important to keep the game strong. I'd like mixed

arenas are cool, domes are cool....i'm fine with a mix.

throatybeard
12-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Let's have it on an aircraft carrier. That wouldn't be silly.

uh_no
12-06-2012, 09:14 PM

rumor is the swimming and diving national championships will be on an aircraft carrier....they found that basketball courts set up on the deck condense enough water to make decent pools.

oldnavy
12-07-2012, 09:45 AM

I am waiting for the game on the submarine! Now that would be interesting!

blazindw
12-07-2012, 10:38 AM
If this pops off, then maybe both semifinal games in 2014 can be played at the same time!

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8721695/cowboys-stadium-talks-host-four-game-college-basketball-event

Bob Green
12-07-2012, 12:19 PM
rumor is the swimming and diving national championships will be on an aircraft carrier....they found that basketball courts set up on the deck condense enough water to make decent pools.

Well I have to go all technical on you...the Florida/Georgetown game was played on the USS Bataan (LHD 5), which is not an aircraft carrier. It is an amphibious assault ship. The North Carolina/Michigan State game was played on an aircraft carrier, the USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70). I know, I know, I am nit-picking but that's just the way us Sailors are. ;)

oldnavy
12-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Well I have to go all technical on you...the Florida/Georgetown game was played on the USS Bataan (LHD 5), which is not an aircraft carrier. It is an amphibious assault ship. The North Carolina/Michigan State game was played on an aircraft carrier, the USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70). I know, I know, I am nit-picking but that's just the way us Sailors are. ;)

Granted I didn't accrue much sea time, but I did play a few games of BB on the USNS Comfort (hospital ship) while crossing the Atlantic. That "no-skid" metal decking is rough on the legs and the floor burns will make you cringe!!

TruBlu
12-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Granted I didn't accrue much sea time, but I did play a few games of BB on the USNS Comfort (hospital ship) while crossing the Atlantic. That "no-skid" metal decking is rough on the legs and the floor burns will make you cringe!!

They sure do, but are usually worth it.;)