PDA

View Full Version : Want to collaborate on a music/education project?

Lord Ash
09-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Hey all!

So... this year, I've decided that I will do a "Music Each Month" thing with my sixth graders, where at the start of the month we learn a little bit about either a musician or a type of music or something like that, and then listen to it when we have a bit of time (for example, during work times.)

However, I am no music guy; I'll have to do some learning myself, in order to teach it.

Now, I did have some ideas... I want to do a month about Mozart, a month of the Beatles, a month about James Brown, a month about 'Music of the Vietnam era'," and month about Broadway, and maybe a month about Michael Jackson.

However, that is only six months. I have nine or maybe ten to fill.

So... what do you all think might be three or four other categories or artists that might be worth covering? Remember, it's got to be sixth grade appropriate (thats 11ish years old.) My wife suggested Madonna, because I don't have any women and she is pretty big, but I am nervous that maybe her music might push the boundaries a touch far... but maybe I'm wrong? They already do a bit of jazz in music class. I would love to do something WWII era, but am not sure how to organize it... big band?

tendev
09-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Until I saw Buddy Guy at the Carolina Theater I was not much of a blues fan, but I am now. The blues is an American invention, mostly, if not completely, created by African American musicians. I don't listen to much of it, but Buddy Guy tells some good stories in his words. Of course, you have to pick the G rated songs.

Hey all!

So... this year, I've decided that I will do a "Music Each Month" thing with my sixth graders, where at the start of the month we learn a little bit about either a musician or a type of music or something like that, and then listen to it when we have a bit of time (for example, during work times.)

However, I am no music guy; I'll have to do some learning myself, in order to teach it.

Now, I did have some ideas... I want to do a month about Mozart, a month of the Beatles, a month about James Brown, a month about 'Music of the Vietnam era'," and month about Broadway, and maybe a month about Michael Jackson.

So... what do you all think might be three or four other categories or artists that might be worth covering? Remember, it's got to be sixth grade appropriate (thats 11ish years old.) My wife suggested Madonna, because I don't have any women and she is pretty big, but I am nervous that maybe her music might push the boundaries a touch far... but maybe I'm wrong? They already do a bit of jazz in music class. I would love to do something WWII era, but am not sure how to organize it... big band?

moonpie23
09-06-2012, 08:15 PM
you've left out country and hip-hop....

fuse
09-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Hey all!

Seems like progression by decades, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. could be an option. Billboard has a top 100 by year website.
One hit wonders would be fun, too- maybe the VH-1 specials could be a source of inspiration although some of that content is probably not appropriate.

If you have music choice on cable, they have a website you can listen to their channels online.

Lord Ash
09-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Hey guys:)

Blues would be tough, if only because I know NOTHING about the blues:) It might be easier to pick a certain musician, I think... but I don't really know a single blues musician!

As for hip-hop and country, I'm not really trying to cover all categories or anything; more just stuff that... I don't know, stuff I think is important and that I like?:) I know that is very vague criteria, but...:)

I could do decades, I suppose... maybe the 50s, because that is so 'the start of rock'n'roll'... oh, I HAVE to do Elvis, obviously! Okay, there's another down.

fuse
09-06-2012, 09:40 PM

Blues would be tough, if only because I know NOTHING about the blues:) It might be easier to pick a certain musician, I think... but I don't really know a single blues musician!

As for hip-hop and country, I'm not really trying to cover all categories or anything; more just stuff that... I don't know, stuff I think is important and that I like?:) I know that is very vague criteria, but...:)

I could do decades, I suppose... maybe the 50s, because that is so 'the start of rock'n'roll'... oh, I HAVE to do Elvis, obviously! Okay, there's another down.

Tom Petty, Santana, REM, Diana Ross and the Supremes, The Drifters, Buddy Holly, Tina Turner, Queen, Elton John, Janis Joplin, The Doors, David Bowie, Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, The Who, Little Richard, Chuck Berry (maybe a Motown theme). Just a small top of head cherry picking off Rolling Stones Top 100 artists of all time.

Sounds like a fun and valuable project- good luck!

sue71, esq
09-06-2012, 09:41 PM
If you're lacking women, what do you think of Girl Groups of the 60s?

If you're looking for a single female artist, what about Billie Holiday or Etta James?

I think you'd be pushing it too much with Madonna. Do you want to be the one to explain why the kids are listening to "Like A Virgin" in class?

Edit to add: VERY cool project. Kudos, Lord Ash.

sue71, esq
09-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Seems like progression by decades, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. could be an option. Billboard has a top 100 by year website.
One hit wonders would be fun, too- maybe the VH-1 specials could be a source of inspiration although some of that content is probably not appropriate.

If you have music choice on cable, they have a website you can listen to their channels online.

I know someone who once had an assignment to pick a single song to personify each decade starting in the 50s (I believe but I could be wrong) through the 90s (that's when this was, so yes, a while ago). For example, for the 80s, she used Don Henley's "End of the Innocence."

PSurprise
09-06-2012, 10:08 PM
I've taught American history at the community college level, and one of the ways I tried to "connect" with some of my students is to start off class with some music and have a short lesson/discussion about the song's topics and/or the lyrics. Of course, there's quite a number of options for the Vietnam era, but one of the more interesting topics I've been able to bring up was WWII's internment camps using Fort Minor's "Kenji". Fort Minor is Mike Shinoda, a member of Linkin Park, who I think at least some of your students would know about. It's a rap/rock mix song about the internment camp experience...the language in the original version of the song would have to be edited, but it's a really good song about something that doesn't get mentioned very much (in US history public education at least).

I've expanded this idea of how music/art is a reflection of the times and how people today are still influenced by past events. I would think if you search hard enough, you could do a lesson combining music and 20th century US history...

devil84
09-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Here are some of my favorites to explore with students in addition to the other great ideas listed in this thread:

Aaron Copland (Appalachian Spring, Rodeo, Simple Gifts, etc.) among many other composers.
Music of the movies, cartoons, or commercials.
Opera and/or ballets. Either listen to a whole work a little bit at a time, or take the greatest hits. Some idea: Hansel and Gretel, La Boheme, Madam Butterfly, Aida, Lohengrin (wedding march), Barber of Seville/Figaro, Flight of the Valkyries, and Carmen for the operas; Firebird, Nutcracker, Swan Lake, Romeo & Juliet, Cinderella, etc.
Patriotic music: Battle Hymn of the Republic, Star Spangled Banner, Sousa Marches, Born in the USA, perhaps other nation's National Anthems.
Folk songs and spirituals.
Music that isn't rock/pop or classical, or performed by the original instrumentation: percussion ensembles, glass harmonica, didgeridoo, pan flutes, Asian instruments, African instruments, harp, banjo, steel drums, dulcimer, bagpipes, barbershop quartet, Theremin/Moog synthesizers, drum corps/marching band/pep band (fight songs of March Madness teams?!), etc. A wide open month to hear new sounds with lots of ability to tie to the curriculum -- or not.

Sounds like a great idea to do with kids! I love the fact that your choice of music can calm, inspire, motivate, and make learning more interesting for your students.

DukieInKansas
09-07-2012, 12:14 AM
You come up with the greatest ideas for your students!

Big Band would get a vote from me - feature Les Brown and the Band of Renown - who started out as Les Brown and His Blue Devils.

Bobby McFerrin of Don't Worry, Be Happy fame. He was creative chair of the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra. He as been a guest conductor for several symphonies. I saw him with the Kansas City Symphony and he performed a cello duet - where he vocalized one of the cello parts. (on his Hush CD with Yo-Yo Ma). He sang the theme song for Season 4 of The Cosby Show. I think he is an amazing musician.

Edouble
09-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Miles Davis is the best selling jazz artist of all time and changed the genre 3-4 times. He created music of significance over 5 decades and was one of the 2-3 most important artists of the 20th century. He also led two of the greatest bands of all time, in any genre, and had huge influence over jazz and non-jazz musicians alike.

allenmurray
09-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Here are some of my favorites to explore with students in addition to the other great ideas listed in this thread:

Aaron Copland (Appalachian Spring, Rodeo, Simple Gifts, etc.) among many other composers.
Music of the movies, cartoons, or commercials. Opera and/or ballets. Either listen to a whole work a little bit at a time, or take the greatest hits. Some idea: Hansel and Gretel, La Boheme, Madam Butterfly, Aida, Lohengrin (wedding march), Barber of Seville/Figaro, Flight of the Valkyries, and Carmen for the operas; Firebird, Nutcracker, Swan Lake, Romeo & Juliet, Cinderella, etc.
Patriotic music: Battle Hymn of the Republic, Star Spangled Banner, Sousa Marches, Born in the USA, perhaps other nation's National Anthems.
Folk songs and spirituals.
Music that isn't rock/pop or classical, or performed by the original instrumentation: percussion ensembles, glass harmonica, didgeridoo, pan flutes, Asian instruments, African instruments, harp, banjo, steel drums, dulcimer, bagpipes, barbershop quartet, Theremin/Moog synthesizers, drum corps/marching band/pep band (fight songs of March Madness teams?!), etc. A wide open month to hear new sounds with lots of ability to tie to the curriculum -- or not.

Sounds like a great idea to do with kids! I love the fact that your choice of music can calm, inspire, motivate, and make learning more interesting for your students.

Music of movies / commericals / TV shows is a great idea. Kids will be familiar with this and may not realize that a lot of what they have heard here as "background music" had a life of its own previously. I can remember being in elementary school and realizing for the first time (thanks to a great music teacher) that a lot of the music used in Loony Tunes cartoons was actually classical music.

Lord Ash
09-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Hey all!

Thanks for the ideas; I am looking them over. The movie/commercial one is a very interesting (although hard to gather, I bet) and the idea of some Miles Davis is pretty appealing. I would love to do some big band stuff; I'd have to study a bunch more of that. I was thinking also about maybe a bit on Frank Sinatra? Is that crazytime? I figure they will likely recognize a lot of his stuff? Also Scott Joplin (ragtime) was another I thought about, since we do study the WWI era... plus, they ALL know "The Entertainer."

Thanks for all the ideas, and please do keep them coming; this is a good community for this sort of thing:)

gus
09-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Hey all!

Thanks for the ideas; I am looking them over. The movie/commercial one is a very interesting (although hard to gather, I bet) and the idea of some Miles Davis is pretty appealing. I would love to do some big band stuff; I'd have to study a bunch more of that. I was thinking also about maybe a bit on Frank Sinatra? Is that crazytime? I figure they will likely recognize a lot of his stuff? Also Scott Joplin (ragtime) was another I thought about, since we do study the WWI era... plus, they ALL know "The Entertainer."

Thanks for all the ideas, and please do keep them coming; this is a good community for this sort of thing:)

Does your school still have a music program?

The Yankee fans in your class will definitely recognize Sinatra, and he is from NJ. You could do NJ musicians (Bruce, Bon Jovi, etc).

I think music that ties into historical events like negro spirituals, field holler and folk music (particularly early 20th century) would all be good, and would also be vaguely familiar to your students in the influence they had on later music. I'm sure your kids could have fun singing or even inventing their own field hollers.

Early hip hop might be fun too (like Grand Master Flash), and you could tie it in with a field trip like this one: http://hushtours.com/

alteran
09-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Hey all!

How about letting your students have one month (the last?), and let them choose/teach/present the genre. Done right, you'll both learn a lot. You could maybe break the month into sections/genres so that no group gets left out. Maybe you could break the students into groups by genre as well.

You may have to vet the song choices. ;-)

DukieInKansas
09-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Thank you for this thread. You reminded me how much I enjoyed two presentations by Dr. Eugene Lowry - Jazz and Christianity (birth of Jazz and how it relates to Christianity and the black experience in America) and The Theology of the Blues (its theological foundations and musical means of evocation). I need to order his CDs.

Note: The descriptions are taken from his website: http://www.eugenelowry.com/default.asp?nc=226&id=328

devil84
09-08-2012, 08:56 PM
The movie/commercial one is a very interesting (although hard to gather, I bet)

Not really that difficult to find. I found these two sites in a quick Google: http://www.naxos.com/musicinmovies.asp?letter=A and http://www.wqxr.org/#!/blogs/wqxr-blog/2012/feb/04/2012-super-bowl-ads/
(http://www.wqxr.org/#%21/blogs/wqxr-blog/2012/feb/04/2012-super-bowl-ads/)
I'd be happy to help out and do some research if you need it.

moonpie23
09-09-2012, 11:17 AM
6th graders (11? 12?) would probably be more interested in hip hop than springsteen.......i think i told this story on another thread, but a few years back, when bruce played UNC i sat in the 2nd row. (this is the day after johnny cash died).....i noticed that about 12 seats on the FIRST row in front of me were occupied by YOUNG teens....maybe 13-15......apparently, they had won a radio station contest..

as bruce came out and sang "i walk the line" solo in tribute, the girls were respectful, but kind of clueless.......after that, he brought the band out and they started rocking......the girls were standing and clapping along with the music, but when the first song ended, one girl looked at another beside her and asked very loudly, "why aren't they dancing?"......

mpj96
09-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Sounds like a fun project. I like alteran's idea of getting the students involved in choosing the some of the music for discussion.

American Pie by Don McLean could be used to discuss early history of rock n roll and political turbulence of the era.

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down by the Band could be used to discuss the civil war.

Brother Can you Spare a Dime sung by Abbey Lincoln could work to discuss the Depression.

Tom Dooley played by Doc Watson could work to discuss crime and punishment in the context of a famous North Carolina case.

greybeard
09-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Perhaps you should consider doing something on the music of Woody Gutherie, his life and times and what he sung about. Gutherie songs were defient and in support for the poor and disenfranchised. His well known anthem, This Land Is Your Land, was not in praise of America, as most everybody understands, but rather was a response on behalf of the disinfranchised to the recently published, God Bless America. That this is so is made clear by the last two verses of the song that never make it into the renditions commonly played:

Chorus

As I was walkin' - I saw a sign there
And that sign said - no tress passin'
But on the other side .... it didn't say nothin!
Now that side was made for you and me!

Chorus

In the squares of the city - In the shadow of the steeple
Near the Relief Office - I see my people
And some are grumblin' and some are wonderin'
If this land's still made for you and me.

Gutherie traveled the country fighting for the disinfranchized; it was quite a journey. If you chose to do something on his music, you might want to get and post a copy of a Gutherie poster that says much that kids ought to hear:

I hate a song that makes you think that you are not any good. I hate a song that makes
you think that you are just born to lose. Bound to lose. No good to nobody. No good for nothing.
Because you are too old or too young or too fat or too slim, too ugly or too this or too that.
Songs that run you down or poke fun at you on account of your bad luck or hard traveling.

I am out to fight those songs to my very last breath of air and my last drop of blood.
I am out to sing songs that will prove to you that this is your world even if it has
hit you pretty hard and knocked you for a dozen loops. No matter what color, what
size you are, how you are built. I am out to sing the songs that make you take pride in
yourself and in your work. And the songs that I sing are made up for the most part by
all sorts of folks just about like you. I could hire out to the other side, the big money side,
and get several dollars every week just to quit singing my own kind of songs and to sing
the kind that knock you down still farther and the ones that poke fun at you even more
and the ones that make you think you've not got any sense at all.

But I decided a long time ago that I'd starve to death before I'd sing any such songs as that.
The radio waves and your movies and your jukeboxes and your song books are already loaded
down and running over with such no good songs."

Gutherie would have been 100 years old last month. The Washibngton Post listed several documentaries that have been received quite favorably that depicted the plight of the masses impacted by the Great Depression and its aftermath, perhaps more importantly, the worker organizations, most prominately the United Auto Workers of America, who successfully lead the fight for the working and nonworking poor to get a little something for themselves. (There is also a terrific documentary about the Reuther Brothers, the UAW and its role in bringing about some economic justice and in the sixties, Civil Rights legislation. These are stories that don't get told in school. Maybe it is time. Or not.

GDT
09-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Perhaps you should consider doing something on the music of Woody Guthrie...

I believe Elizabeth Mitchell just came out with a CD of Woody Guthrie recordings. I mention because she's had some of his songs on her earlier albums and those are very popular with younger children and their parents. So some of your students would probably have already have heard those tracks. Of course, Wilco and Billy Bragg also recorded a bunch of Guthrie's music as well.

I think a class on folk music could be interesting: Seeger, Guthrie, Dylan, Ochs, etc. There's the sharing of song forms (something Dylan just emphatically responded to), the interest in social issues, the idea that anyone can do it, how old songs keep getting recorded, etc.

But probably not as exciting as Madonna.

slinky
09-14-2012, 01:29 PM
What about a "soundtracks" month? Music by John Williams and Hans Zimmer would easily be enough to fill an entire month. Music from Star Wars is classic. Gladiator is what I put on when I need to get stuff done. Never fails. Schindler's List is beautiful but oh-so-haunting. Willow, and lots more. You could make a game out of putting songs on and seeing which ones your students can identify. (Fun fact: John Williams also did the Olympic theme and the NBC Nightly News theme.)

Instrumental soundtracks are all I listen to when working. Lyrics distract me too much.

Lord Ash
01-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Hey all!

Love some of the ideas (although a few would be tougher than others...) I could do a whole YEAR on John Williams:) Etta James is interesting...

We just finished The Beatles... the sheer variety of sounds the Beatles came up with in their albums, especially from the early material to the later stuff... comparing something like "Love Me Do" with, say, ""Helter Skelter" is pretty dramatic... they really enjoyed it.

One that I am gearing up for is a month of "Broadway." Now my wife is a big theatre person (that was the direction she was headed before she veered over to film) and I though I'd share her notes for me... I asked for maybe 10ish shows that A) had fun tunes I was familiar with and B) had something interesting to them. So... pick away! Good selection? Any big misses? Spot on?

The Sound of Music - written by Rodgers and Hammerstein, who were the godfathers of Bway in the 40s and 50s (Oklahoma, Carousel, King and I, Cinderella). Sound of Music was their last collaboration. Very successful film version w/ Julie Andrews
Songs: My Favorite Things, Do Re Mi, So Long Farewell

West Side Story - inspired by Romeo & Juliet, choreographer Jerome Robbins created a very different dance style. Went on to become a movie that won Best Picture
Songs: America, I Feel Pretty, Cool

Little Shop - comedy/horror musical, very unusual - in the style of Motown, but premiered in the early 80s
Songs: Little Shop of Horrors, Feed Me

Evita - Andrew Lloyd Weber (major Broadway composer) - introduced Patti LuPone (big bway star) - movie with Madonna
Song: Don't Cry for Me Argentina

A Chorus Line - created from dancers' stories, revealed what the audition process and the life of a dancer is really like
Songs: One

Phantom - pinnacle of Andrew Lloyd Weber broadway success - one of the longest running shows on Broadway - really made Broadway commercial
Songs: Think of Me, Phantom of the Opera,

Les Mis - Cameron Mackintosh - huge broadway producer - strategy of opening shows in London's West End Theater and then bringing them to broadway (produced Miss Saigon, Phantom, Les Mis, Cats)
Songs: Do you Hear the People Sing, I Dreamed a Dream

Lion King - Brought Disney to Broadway! Made Broadway very family friendly. Very innovative stage direction (Julie Taymour) with actors using puppets to portray animals
Songs: Circle of Life, Hakuna Matata

Rent - rock musical - brought lower east side to broadway - inspired by opera La Boheme - creator/writer Jonathan Larson died the night before its off-broadway premiere - addressed HIV/AIDS - very innovative, very gritty - brought Broadway into modern area
Songs: Seasons of Love, Rent

Wicked - feminist musical! - different take on the Wicked Witch of the West from Wizard of Oz - traditional story from a different point of view - huge, splashy musical. VERY commercially successful
Songs: Popular, Defying Gravity

sue71, esq
01-18-2013, 05:35 PM
What about Grease? You could teach them how to Hand Jive.

DukieInKansas
01-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Just don't compare Sound of Music to the true story. Very disappointing.
How about Annie? Younger star.

sue71, esq
01-19-2013, 12:16 AM
Almost forgot one of my faves--- Guys & Dolls. You could have fun with Sit Down, You're Rockin' The Boat, but the story line might be... interesting... to explain.

I'm also a fan of Damn Yankees but that could be a bit difficult, just starting with the title... the concept of the devil...

captmojo
01-19-2013, 09:38 AM

First sentence...I disagree with you. Everybody gets the blues at one time or another.
Second sentence...For someone that claims not to know a "single blues musician"...look at your post a little farther down.
Elvis??? Really? There's one. Ever hear That's Alright Mama or Blue Suede Shoes? Does the name, Big Mama Thornton, ring a bell?
Muddy Waters (McKinley Morganfield) once said,"The Blues had a baby and they named it Rock and Roll." He was right. His song, Rolling Stone ring any bells? A DVD of Muddy, accompanied by Mick, Keith and the rest was just recently released. A good watch and hear. The naming of the band came from Muddy's tune. That's influence.

Your call, but I suggest you follow up on this. The Blues can be an entire musical study of it's own. It is the singular most prevalent influence on EVERY musical genre, given a title, since the beginning of the 20th century. Blues rhythms influnced Jazz, the Big Band sounds, Soul music and Rock & Roll. If you don't think there isn't a Blues feel in Country, I suggest a long listen to Hank Williams or George Jones or...well, this list could be endless.

I believe there a two distinct varieties of music. Those before 1900 and those after. Recorded Blues is the break line. Here's a starting point. After you're there, pick anything you feel. https://blues.org/#ref=blues_index

chaosmage
01-19-2013, 10:14 PM
I know it's sixth grade, and I don't know where you teach. Keep that in mind. Can't believe I missed this thread...

Musicals? You left out FIDDLER! :-) Music's great, and an awesome music for teaching about prejudice. Just have a copy with subtitles. The version with Topol is the only one you'll need.

An interesting idea for my music app class was to discuss why musicians use profanity. We discussed, in specific, Bessie Smith's "You've Got To Give Me Some." Using the idea of how, for a long time, musicians did not see the NEED to curse. And why is it so necessary now? The discussion went all over the place, but it was definitely interesting.

I was also going to suggest soundtracks. Personally, Star Wars, the Transformers movies (and the discussion of recurring themes in each), and the Pirates movies are great musical examples that most students love.

Be happy to help! :-)

Lord Ash
05-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Hi all!

Well, Monthly Musician proceeds well; the kids have really enjoyed it, and I just got a very nice email from a mom who spent a night bonding with her son over some of the music we discussed, and who was touched that her son was liking the same bands that her husband, who passed away a few years ago, loved. So, good stuff!

I am heading now into the music of the Vietnam War; namely music with a social aspect. But I admit...I am no music major! I'm thinking songs along the line of Fortunate Son and For What It's Worth... Simple enough lyrics to examine for sixth graders.

So... Can I ask the DBR family, which knows its stuff, for a few recommendations? I am hoping for well known music that is also relevant.

Thanks all in advance!

OldPhiKap
05-05-2013, 09:59 AM
You certainly name two great ons. A few more to consider:

Ball of Confusion -- the Temptations
Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In -- the Fifth Dimension
Gimme Shelter -- Stones
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised -- Gil Scott-Heron (depends on age of group)
Volunteers --Jefferson Airplane (probably shouldn't have White Rabbit although it was the '60s after all)
Ohio -- Neil Young

Oops, just saw that there are sixth graders. Some of these are probably a bit too frank or will get blowback from parents. Oh well, maybe just listen and enjoy!

Lord Ash
05-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Hey OPK... not really knowing the lyrics (I have a hard time "hearing" lyrics in songs and never really understand them without reading what is being sung) which of the ones you mentioned do you think are good? I don't mind them getting lyrics that are a little mature, because it is a mature topic... language is probably the biggest potential issue. Thanks man!:)

fidel
05-06-2013, 09:27 PM
From the movie The Legend of Billy Jack. Which in itself is a pretty good capture of late 60s/early 70s bucking of the 'Institution'.

The improvisation comedy scene with the kids and the cops had me laughing again (watched it recently).

Watch it first though, there are a few adult themes included.

captmojo
05-07-2013, 07:56 PM
See soundtrack to Good Morning Vietnam.