PDA

View Full Version : Billy Gillespie is insane and will soon be fired

JasonEvans
09-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Ok, that headline may be a bit harsh... but wait until you read this article from CBSSportsline (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/20052645/more-trouble-for-gillispie-as-allegations-of-mistreatment-surface). It alleges horrible treatment of players and staff. There is talk of NCAA violations of practice rules, unethical dealings with assistant coaches -- promising jobs that were never given --, and other shenanigans that are well beyond what a normal coach would do. The article quotes specific players and people close to the program, so it would appear to be well-sourced.

And then there was this...

One source said that Gillispie, the night before most games, has everyone in attendance participate in layup lines at the start of practice -- including television and radio broadcasters, strength coaches and assistant coaches.

"If we fumbled the ball, slipped or shot it with the wrong hand, he'd make us run the steps of the arena," the source said. "He got a big kick out of it, but it was demeaning for us as grown men."

--Jason "yup, Billy has gone insane" Evans

weezie
09-05-2012, 07:40 AM
"Gillispie, the night before most games, has everyone in attendance participate in layup lines at the start of practice -- including television and radio broadcasters"

All insanity aside, this paints a pretty hilarious picture. I'll bet Dougie G was chomping at the bit to show his skill set. And think about the guys and girls who couldn't hit the side of a barn!

Doug.I.Am
09-05-2012, 12:08 PM
"Gillispie, the night before most games, has everyone in attendance participate in layup lines at the start of practice -- including television and radio broadcasters"

All insanity aside, this paints a pretty hilarious picture. I'll bet Dougie G was chomping at the bit to show his skill set. And think about the guys and girls who couldn't hit the side of a barn!

Hey, easy on Dougie G there Weez, he was once a ball boy for our very own Cherokee Parks....Just sayin... :D

brevity
09-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Who knows what will happen now? It's not like there's any precedent at Texas Tech of a head coach mistreating a player...

Oh wait (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4781981).

miramar
09-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Who knows what will happen now? It's not like there's any precedent at Texas Tech of a head coach mistreating a player...

Oh wait (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4781981).

Pat Knight had some nice words about his seniors at Lamar: "We've got the worst group of seniors I've ever been associated with. . . . These kids are stealing money by being on scholarship with their approach."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHITbGaahhQ

watzone
09-06-2012, 10:26 AM
They should fire Billy and hire Matt Doherty right now! If Coach K asked me to get in a lay up line, I would, lol.

BD80
09-06-2012, 11:33 AM
They should fire Billy and hire Matt Doherty right now! If Coach K asked me to get in a lay up line, I would, lol.

Matt Doherty only asks the cheerleaders to get into the lay-up line, and tries to make them stay late ...

oldnavy
09-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Billy is just lucky that he hasn't run across a Latrell Sprewell type player.... If he stays around much longer, he will, and probably take a pretty good beat down. Hopefully he is out of coaching before something like that happens.

mgtr
09-06-2012, 12:52 PM
I thought that one reason that he left UK was that he was crazy. I continue to wonder how people like this get hired over and over. Oh, has anybody heard of the Herricks (sp?) lately?

Wander
09-06-2012, 12:58 PM
In my opinion, the worst allegation hasn't even been mentioned here yet. From a CBSSports article:

"But it's quite another thing to be reckless with someone's body, which is what Gillispie did when he allegedly forced Kader Tapsoba to practice with a stress fracture. "He was literally crying at practice," a source told CBSSports.com. "He couldn't even run and Gillispie had him running up and down the steps at the arena. I remember the doctor getting the X-rays back and coming to practice and telling Gillispie it was really bad. [But] he'd just ice him up and tell him to go practice." "

(that player sat out all last season because of injury)

TexHawk
09-06-2012, 02:29 PM
I thought that one reason that he left UK was that he was crazy. I continue to wonder how people like this get hired over and over. Oh, has anybody heard of the Herricks (sp?) lately?

I don't understand the bolded part. He turned UTEP to a winning team in less than 2 seasons, turned A&M from the laughingstock of the Big12 to (arguably) the 2nd best team in the conference** in less than 2 seasons. He then got a big offer to coach at a blue blood school, which 99% of all college coaches would take, and it didn't work out. He was fired for a few reasons, and one of the big ones was Calipari was available.

Texas Tech took a flier on him being able to be successful in a smaller pond, so far it hasn't worked out. I fail to see how this is an example of getting hired "over and over" erroneously.

** One of only two Big12 coaches to win in Allen Field House.

Acymetric
09-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Billy is just lucky that he hasn't run across a Latrell Sprewell type player.... If he stays around much longer, he will, and probably take a pretty good beat down. Hopefully he is out of coaching before something like that happens.

You certainly care more about Gillespie's well being than I do.

oldnavy
09-06-2012, 06:13 PM
You certainly care more about Gillespie's well being than I do.

Actually not, I would be more concerned for criminal charges against the player that finally kicked his.... you know what.

oldnavy
09-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Brutus betrayed Ceasar did he not? Dana isn't betrying Gillespie, she is just telling us more of what we already know. I don't get the Brutus reference at all.

wilko
09-07-2012, 08:05 AM
So ..... How do we play puppetmaster and get him on staff @ UNC?
Perhaps that would/could be a punishment from the NCAA.

COYS
09-07-2012, 09:29 AM
So ..... How do we play puppetmaster and get him on staff @ UNC?
Perhaps that would/could be a punishment from the NCAA.

This is a pretty brilliant way of punishing offending schools. It hurts the school in the worst way (on court performance/recruiting) with less collateral damage than scholarship reductions/future post season bans. You violated rules? Ok, we're forcing you to hire [insert name of crazy coach].

Chicago 1995
09-07-2012, 09:29 AM
I thought that one reason that he left UK was that he was crazy.

Billy's got issues. There were a lot of similar stories of abuse when he left UK.

When he was an assistant at the UofI, he was well known to spend a good bit of time bending his elbow, and got forceably removed from some of Champaign's finer establishments. I've heard similar stories from friends who were around the basketball programs at TAMU and Kentucky with Billy. It seems like it's his one release. I'd note that he got a DUI in 2009 and has been charged two other times with DUI as well, having had one charge dropped and another reduced as part of a plea. He was also rumored to have went through rehab after his stint at Kentucky ended.

He's a heck of a coach, and when he was in Champaign, he was a pretty outgoing and well liked guy. The pressure hasn't, apparently, worn well on him, and he's having more trouble with whatever demons torment him.

BD80
09-07-2012, 10:22 AM
This is a pretty brilliant way of punishing offending schools. It hurts the school in the worst way (on court performance/recruiting) with less collateral damage than scholarship reductions/future post season bans. You violated rules? Ok, we're forcing you to hire [insert name of crazy coach].

What did unc get caught doing that caused them to hire Doherty?

jimsumner
09-07-2012, 10:52 AM
What did unc get caught doing that caused them to hire Doherty?

They got caught being turned down by their first 14 choices.

oldnavy
09-07-2012, 12:21 PM
They got caught being turned down by their first 14 choices.

Exactly, and remember the famous Roy quote.... he didn't give a #$@% about UNC!

But if memory serves me well, Doh had done a decent job at ND right before he took the UNC job and the UNC faithful were pretty high on him at first....

theschwartz
09-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Brutus betrayed Ceasar did he not? Dana isn't betrying Gillespie, she is just telling us more of what we already know. I don't get the Brutus reference at all.

Brutus delivered the final, fatal blow to the mighty Caesar. I think that was the analogy they were shooting for, although I'm skeptical that this will be the FINAL blow, as writers seem to be lining up in droves to take their shots at Gillespie.

miramar
09-07-2012, 12:53 PM
But if memory serves me well, Doh had done a decent job at ND right before he took the UNC job and the UNC faithful were pretty high on him at first....

Doh went 22-15 at ND and reached the NIT final in 2000, which is pretty good considering that Digger had a losing record his final year and that John MacLeod also had a losing record in his eight years in South Bend. Nevertheless, it would have been difficult for anyone with only one year of head coaching experience to fill Deano's old seat. Surprisingly, that 22-15 at ND and the 26-7 his first year at Carolina were the highlights of his coaching career since it was mostly downhill from there.

mkirsh
09-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Doh went 22-15 at ND and reached the NIT final in 2000, which is pretty good considering that Digger had a losing record his final year and that John MacLeod also had a losing record in his eight years in South Bend. Nevertheless, it would have been difficult for anyone with only one year of head coaching experience to fill Deano's old seat. Surprisingly, that 22-15 at ND and the 26-7 his first year at Carolina were the highlights of his coaching career since it was mostly downhill from there.

To be fair to D'oh, while he was a terrible game coach, he was a formidable recruiter at UNC and put together the team that went on to win the 2005 title (and potentially steered them to certain majors, but that is for a different thread)

Edouble
09-09-2012, 11:04 PM

There is a little more historical context that should be included and that is that in 2000, Billy Donovan took the Gators to the final game of the NCAA tournament. I think at the time that a lot of UNC people thought they were getting a Donovan clone: a young, good looking coach with a lot of drive and fire that would only be amplified by coaching at his alma matter. When Doh' went to UNC, some ACC fans even suggested that Coach K was going to be intimidated by this hot young coach that really connected with the younger players.

HA HA HA

sagegrouse
09-09-2012, 11:08 PM
There is a little more historical context that should be included and that is that in 2000, Billy Donovan took the Gators to the final game of the NCAA tournament. I think at the time that a lot of UNC people thought they were getting a Donovan clone: a young, good looking coach with a lot of drive and fire that would only be amplified by coaching at his alma matter. When Doh' went to UNC, some ACC fans even suggested that Coach K was going to be intimidated by this hot young coach that really connected with the younger players.

HA HA HA

"A lot of UNC people" excludes his former teammates, who collectively rolled their eyes that such a yo-yo would inherit the UNC job.

sage

Edouble
09-09-2012, 11:13 PM
"A lot of UNC people" excludes his former teammates, who collectively rolled their eyes that such a yo-yo would inherit the UNC job.

sage

Well yeah... they needed a couple seasons of their own to get to really know the guy!

94duke
09-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Billy Gillispie no longer making decisions for TTU team (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/ncaa/09/11/Billy-Gillispie-Texas-Tech.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp)

BD80
09-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Billy Gillispie no longer making decisions for TTU team (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/ncaa/09/11/Billy-Gillispie-Texas-Tech.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp)

Barn door closed.

Jim3k
09-11-2012, 09:33 PM

Maybe the original version of the story mentioned it (if not, it does now), but it leads with the assertion that Gillispie was taken from his Lubbock house by ambulance on Monday evening after a 911 call. The story's author checked both local hospitals, but couldn't find him. Maybe he wasn't admitted.

Obviously, there is a shoe dropping shortly.

94duke
09-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Maybe the original version of the story mentioned it (if not, it does now), but it leads with the assertion that Gillispie was taken from his Lubbock house by ambulance on Monday evening after a 911 call. The story's author checked both local hospitals, but couldn't find him. Maybe he wasn't admitted.

Obviously, there is a shoe dropping shortly.

Yep, looks like the story changed after I posted the link.

Jim3k
09-13-2012, 03:23 AM
The ambulance seems to have been Gillispie's first leg on the way to Rochester, Minnesota, location of the Mayo Clinic.

Here's a link from the Amarillo paper. (http://amarillo.com/news/latest-news/2012-09-12/tech-coach-gillispie-seeks-treatment-mayo-clinic-minnesota)

Turtleboy
09-14-2012, 07:43 PM
That is some really high blood pressure if after a week long stay in the hospital he then needs to go to the Mayo Clinic. Darn bad timing too. Right before he had to meet with the boss to discuss all that pesky crazy coach stuff.

JasonEvans
09-15-2012, 11:21 AM
They may be saying Mayo, but I am betting Betty Ford. There is little question in my mind that Billy G is going to claim alcohol or pain killer dependency as an explanation for his insane behavior of late. I don't think it will save him this job, but it may provide cover for him to "get clean" and then get another job* in a couple years.

-Jason " *-assistant coach, perhaps in the NBA. Ain't no way he can get a job as a Div I head coach any time soon" Evans

sagegrouse
09-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Resigned (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/20/billy-gillispie-is-no-longer-the-head-coach-at-texas-tech/related/) for health reasons. Associate head coach Chris Walker is acting until Texas Tech decides on an interim head coach.

sagegrouse

brevity
09-21-2012, 03:04 AM
Resigned (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/20/billy-gillispie-is-no-longer-the-head-coach-at-texas-tech/related/) for health reasons. Associate head coach Chris Walker is acting until Texas Tech decides on an interim head coach.

sagegrouse

The link includes the line "He has no wife to answer to and no children to care for." In case you (like me) were wondering why the cliche about wanting to spend more time with his family was not included amongst the other cliches in this announcement.

The profession does tend to attract its share of head cases and egomaniacs. Makes me appreciative that Duke doesn't have that problem.