PDA

View Full Version : Terps land an important transfer

JasonEvans
09-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Dez Wells, who got into some sexual assault trouble at Xavier, is headed to Maryland (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/20047460/dez-wells-headed-to-maryland). He's a very solid player and will help them. Maryland is going to try to get him to be eligible right away, but I doubt the NCAA goes for it. Still, when you beat out Kentucky and Memphis for a kid, you know the kid can play a bit.

-Jason "Turgeon is bringing in some talented kids... but is he selling his soul to do so? Sexual assault is nasty stuff" Evans

crimsonandblue
09-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Dez Wells, who got into some sexual assault trouble at Xavier, is headed to Maryland (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/20047460/dez-wells-headed-to-maryland). He's a very solid player and will help them. Maryland is going to try to get him to be eligible right away, but I doubt the NCAA goes for it. Still, when you beat out Kentucky and Memphis for a kid, you know the kid can play a bit.

-Jason "Turgeon is bringing in some talented kids... but is he selling his soul to do so? Sexual assault is nasty stuff" Evans

Wells was never charged (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-08-28/dez-wells-expelled-xavier-sexual-assault-no-charges) and the prosecutor who was looking into the matter went off on Xavier for its handling of the matter in expelling him using just a student disciplinary committee. Since that's the school's policy (the committee), I'm not sure how else they can handle something like this, but I'm not sure taking this kid on transfer amounts to Turgeon selling his soul, in light of the prosecutor's comments and the kid's lack of any other record.

JasonEvans
09-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Wells was never charged (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-08-28/dez-wells-expelled-xavier-sexual-assault-no-charges) and the prosecutor who was looking into the matter went off on Xavier for its handling of the matter in expelling him using just a student disciplinary committee. Since that's the school's policy (the committee), I'm not sure how else they can handle something like this, but I'm not sure taking this kid on transfer amounts to Turgeon selling his soul, in light of the prosecutor's comments and the kid's lack of any other record.

Thanks for that, C&B. I know Gary built a national power at Maryland by solid coaching and not compromising (very much) in terms of the moral quality of the kids he recruited. So, it can be done. I hope Turgeon continues to take this path as opposed to the "easier one" that often leads to bigger problems down the road.

-Jason

UrinalCake
09-04-2012, 11:07 AM
If they get the Harrison twins, putting them with Wells, baby Shaq, and Alex Len would make for a pretty decent team that could really turn the program around. Agree that Turgeon is off to a great start and bringing in some real talent.

Skitzle
09-04-2012, 11:32 AM

Could also be a sign that they've found some change under the couch...

allenmurray
09-04-2012, 02:04 PM

There can be a lot of behavior that a university might not want to tolerate that doesn't rise to the level of criminal prosecution. When you combine that incident with Wells' absolute knucklehead behavior during the Xaviar-Cincinati Brawl,Turgeon might not be selling his soul, but he may be renting it out for a while.

As a University of Maryland alum I hardly find the arrival of Dez Wells on campus something to celebrate. I guess we can look forward to multiple replays of the Xavier-Cincinati brawl during ACC telecasts this year.

allenmurray
09-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks for that, C&B. I know Gary built a national power at Maryland by solid coaching and not compromising (very much) in terms of the moral quality of the kids he recruited. So, it can be done. I hope Turgeon continues to take this path as opposed to the "easier one" that often leads to bigger problems down the road.

-Jason

Gary did a fair bit of comprimising concerning the academic quality. Even as a University of maryland alum I can't cheer for a team who has players and fans who bring such disgrace to what is otherwise a solid univeristy. I alwasy hope Maryland loses (unless of course they are playing UNC).

crimsonandblue
09-04-2012, 03:20 PM
There can be a lot of behavior that a university might not want to tolerate that doesn't rise to the level of criminal prosecution. When you combine that incident with Wells' absolute knucklehead behavior during the Xaviar-Cincinati Brawl,Turgeon might not be selling his soul, but he may be renting it out for a while.

As a University of Maryland alum I hardly find the arrival of Dez Wells on campus something to celebrate. I guess we can look forward to multiple replays of the Xavier-Cincinati brawl during ACC telecasts this year.

Fair enough. I'd forgotten he was heavily involved in the Cincy brawl.

sagegrouse
09-04-2012, 07:11 PM

The egg hasn't hatched yet. Given that Dez Wells will almost certainly have to sit out a year, it will be 14 months until he is on the court. We'll see.... I can imagine all sorts of things getting in the way of his playing for Maryland.

sagegrouse

UrinalCake
09-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Aricle from Andy Katz (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/8337095/maryland-terrapins-add-dez-wells-aim-return-relevance-men-college-basketball) on Wells and the job that Turgeon is doing. I certainly hope the NCAA doesn't approve their request to make him eligible this season. That would basically send a message to all players that says "if you want to transfer and don't want to sit out a year, just get yourself expelled from the school."

slower
09-05-2012, 08:44 AM

Yep.

Way to go, Terps. Another fine "student-athlete" and model citizen.

hudlow
09-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Is Maryland putting a team together or only collecting players?

greybeard
09-08-2012, 02:27 AM

Most internal college "disciplinary proceedings" of alleged criminal matters are beyond a joke. They give kangaroo courts a good name. Student tribunels get hearsay evidence from campus police officers who just happen to have police authority over the judges, the accused is not entitled to even have an attorney present, never mind one who is actively participating, to you know, cross examine somebody, and will go so far as disregard a retraction made by the accuser that any such assault has occurred. Young men get suspended or expelled, the case then gets before a for real prosecutor who throws the case out along with the officers who issued the charging document. Meanwhile, college presidents are unconcerned with the manifest unfairness of the system and will stand behind the student tribunel's decision. And, guess what, at least one State Supreme Court has held that all this is just fine, has placed its imprimatur on it.

I havfe no idea what this guy did. But, to assume that he did anything approaching, in the same universe, as a crime (I would include in that improper touching) is silly.